Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paulboard Top 30 | 09.23.22 | tearing down the doors of the city...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
    I had to come in here and check you (and your chart) out so I gave your #1 a listen and, aside from the awful band name, what a tune you’ve got there; it matches your impeccable taste.
    If I'd known there was a chance of luring your fine self in here, I would've restarted this much sooner! My top-tier taste can't take all the credit for this No. 1, though, since I'd never even heard of Let's Eat Grandma until I saw them atop Blondini's chart. If the thought of devouring nans is too off-putting, maybe I could just nibble on you instead...?

Thanks again, Pete!

last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
      If I'd known there was a chance of luring your fine self in here, I would've restarted this much sooner! My top-tier taste can't take all the credit for this No. 1, though, since I'd never even heard of Let's Eat Grandma until I saw them atop Blondini's chart. If the thought of devouring nans is too off-putting, maybe I could just nibble on you instead...?

Thanks again, Pete!
      <3 I’ll let you nibble your way into my DMs sir.

Comment

<3 I’ll let you nibble your way into my DMs sir.
        Hopefully those taste as good as the rest of you So what's on Pete's perfect playlists these days?

last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

Hopefully those taste as good as the rest of you So what's on Pete's perfect playlists these days?
          Aside from musical soundtracks I don’t think I’ve properly listened to new music for about 5 years. Sometimes I question why I’m on a music forum tbh.

Comment

• Nice to see LEG smashing!

Comment

Aside from musical soundtracks I don’t think I’ve properly listened to new music for about 5 years. Sometimes I question why I’m on a music forum tbh.
              Ha, is that you threatening to delete your account if your inbox isn't filled to capacity with nudes ASAP? As I feel increasingly out-of-touch with what's dominating the charts in recent years, UKMIX has been more helpful than ever for finding new music that's actually up my alley (like my No. 1, which I doubt I would've ever come across elsewhere). The convenience of streaming definitely aids exploration too.

So when you say soundtracks, are we talking Encanto? The Greatest Showman? Strictly stage stuff?
              last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                Nice to see LEG smashing!
                Blondini's impact The other tracks I've perused from LEG haven't hit me as hard as "Levitation," but I'm definitely still curious to hear the rest of Two Ribbons soon.

Many thanks, Thriller!
                last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

Ha, is that you threatening to delete your account if your inbox isn't filled to capacity with nudes ASAP? As I feel increasingly out-of-touch with what's dominating the charts in recent years, UKMIX has been more helpful than ever for finding new music that's actually up my alley (like my No. 1, which I doubt I would've ever come across elsewhere). The convenience of streaming definitely aids exploration too.

So when you say soundtracks, are we talking Encanto? The Greatest Showman? Strictly stage stuff?
                  You’re so good with listening to music. I must confess I only got Spotify late last year and it’s been a God-send. It’s so accessible and varied, great stuff. Mainly musical theatre stuff - Hamilton was a massive part of my life for two years as I worked in the West End version of it and somehow never got bored of listening to the show 8 times a week.

The Encanto soundtrack is next level and is a testament of Lin’s musicianship. When I first watched the film and heard the songs I thought they were decent but several hundred listens later and I still can’t get enough - they’re better with headphones. The position of where different characters are singing on screen correlates to where the music comes out of on headphones.

If you have any recommendations for me, obviously let me know!

Comment

You’re so good with listening to music. I must confess I only got Spotify late last year and it’s been a God-send. It’s so accessible and varied, great stuff. Mainly musical theatre stuff - Hamilton was a massive part of my life for two years as I worked in the West End version of it and somehow never got bored of listening to the show 8 times a week.

The Encanto soundtrack is next level and is a testament of Lin’s musicianship. When I first watched the film and heard the songs I thought they were decent but several hundred listens later and I still can’t get enough - they’re better with headphones. The position of where different characters are singing on screen correlates to where the music comes out of on headphones.

If you have any recommendations for me, obviously let me know!
                    Ha, too kind but I still feel like a snail compared to the posters who assess several complete albums every week (while also running Survivors, Countdowns, and whatnot).

Major crush on Daddy Lin, eh? I'll pry into your West End endeavors more via DM, but what are your most-played Encanto moments? Any recommendations from In The Heights? Musicals are a pretty big blindspot for me in general (aside from easily-streamable pop culture behemoths like Encanto).

Well, my biggest rec would be to keep checking in here every week, ofc (Though, sadly, they just don't make 'em like The Sats anymore...)
                    last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Paulboard Top 30
                      Chart Date: 04/22/22

• Camila sheds some tears of joy as she collects her second Paulboard chart-topper, following "Living Proof" from 2019. Elsewhere on the chart, Halsey enjoys a major resurgence thanks to the Survivor effect.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (02) 02 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [G]
                      02 (03) 03 | "How Can I Not Know What I Need Right Now" - Charli XCX | 2 | [G]
                      03 (01) 03 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [G]
                      04 (06) 02 | "Hasta Los Dientes" - Camila Cabello ft. Maria Becerra | 4
                      05 (N-) 01 | "New Moon" - MŘ ft. Rebecca Black | 5
                      06 (R-) 07 | "Easy" - Camila Cabello | 2 | [P]
                      07 (R-) 08 | "Easier Than Lying" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
                      08 (18) 03 | "Used To Know Me" - Charli XCX | 8 | [G]
                      09 (R-) 07 | "Darling" - Halsey | 2 | [P]
                      10 (R-) 05 | "You Asked For This" - Halsey | 2 | [G]
                      11 (04) 03 | "Bodies" - The Knocks ft. MUNA | 2 | [G]
                      12 (09) 05 | "Anything But Me" - MUNA | 1 (2) | [P]
                      13 (24) 04 | "Sorry If I Hurt You" - Charli XCX | 3 | [G]
                      14 (10) 03 | "Crying On The Bathroom Floor" - MUNA | 10
                      15 (R-) 08 | "I Hate Everybody" - Halsey | 2 | [P]
                      16 (R-) 08 | "1121" - Halsey | 5 | [P]
                      17 (R-) 07 | "Honey" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
                      18 (08) 02 | "Psychofreak" - Camila Cabello ft. WILLOW | 8
                      19 (R-) 04 | "I'm Not Mad" - Halsey | 7 | [G]
                      20 (17) 05 | "Crash" - Charli XCX | 2 | [P]
                      21 (N-) 01 | "La Buena Vida" - Camila Cabello | 21
                      22 (16) 02 | "Quiet" - Camila Cabello | 16
                      23 (R-) 04 | "I Am Not A Woman, I'm A God" - Halsey | 4 | [G]
                      24 (14) 03 | "Number One Fan" - MUNA | 8
                      25 (12) 04 | "Baby" - Charli XCX | 12 | [G]
                      26 (26) 03 | "Around U" - MUNA | 22
                      27 (R-) 05 | "Shapeshifter Chameleon" - Terror Jr | 10
                      28 (R-) 06 | "Cry For Me" - Camila Cabello | 7 | [G]
                      29 (R-) 20 | "You Should Be Sad" - Halsey | 1 (2) | [2xP]
                      30 (R-) 14 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
                      [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
                      last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• I feel like I already followed the directive in your thread title.

I don't really like Camila that much as a human-being, but "Boys Don't Cry", which I just played, isn't bad. I endorse the lyrics. Instrumentation's pretty suave, too.

01 (02) 02 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [G]
                        03 (01) 03 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [G]
                        08 (18) 03 | "Used To Know Me" - Charli XCX | 8 | [G]
                        12 (09) 05 | "Anything But Me" - MUNA | 1 (2) | [P]
                        13 (24) 04 | "Sorry If I Hurt You" - Charli XCX | 3 | [G]
                        20 (17) 05 | "Crash" - Charli XCX | 2 | [P]
                        24 (14) 03 | "Number One Fan" - MUNA | 8
                        25 (12) 04 | "Baby" - Charli XCX | 12 | [G]
                        29 (R-) 20 | "You Should Be Sad" - Halsey | 1 (2) | [2xP]
                        30 (R-) 14 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
                        Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#58]
                        Akini's Favourite Films: [60-56]
                        Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Running Up That Hill [7 weeks]
                        AlbumClash 2.0: [Beyoncé vs. Ari Lennox vs. BLACKPINK]

Yeah, they smile to your face and Prop-8 you in the back.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                          I feel like I already followed the directive in your thread title.
                          My shoulders (and lap) are open anytime Some cuddles/physical affection (even purely-platonic) can hit the spot better than sex sometimes.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                          I don't really like Camila that much as a human-being, but "Boys Don't Cry", which I just played, isn't bad. I endorse the lyrics. Instrumentation's pretty suave, too.
                          Thanks for giving it a shot! I was never too interested in Camila and Shawn's relationship, but the stuff she describes in "Boys Don't Cry" is SO charmingly tender (and relatable):

"don't wanna be touched, don't wanna discuss, I get it, I just, now I'm in my head, about what's in your head..."
                          "it's not stupid, it's not drama, it's just trauma, turned to armor..."

About Camila herself: I've had mixed feelings about supporting her, but the fact that she was a teen when she said/did vile things makes me more inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt in her mid-20's. Not that being a teen makes what she did OK, but at that age, people deliberately say the most offensive, ignorant shit possible just to seem "edgy" and get a reaction from others. Even if that did reflect her genuine beliefs at the time, I can't pretend that I didn't have my own deeply ignorant, hateful outlooks in my teens. I never went on any racist Tumblr rants, but I definitely held views about masculinity and sexuality (re: "flaming" gay guys, dismissing bisexuality, etc) that don't represent me now at all. If others believe that she's past the point of redemption, though, I totally understand/respect that. All the "cancel culture" hoopla has killed a lot of the nuance around this stuff, but I think it's fair if a creator's behavior makes it too distracting/unpleasant to engage with their content (especially when there's plenty of other talented individuals on the planet to support instead).

Thanks again, Akini!
                          Last edited by crystalphoenix; Mon April 25, 2022, 00:55.
                          last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

My shoulders (and lap) are open anytime Some cuddles/physical affection (even purely-platonic) can hit the spot better than sex sometimes.
                            I absolutely agree. I decided to be 'wild' a few weeks ago and I went over to this guy's place after a brief meet-up in person. I was convinced that he'd want to go full throttle into the 'adult fun' activities, but he literally seemed content to make out and cuddle on the couch. I was so shocked that I was the one who was like, "Uh, is this all that's happening tonight, 'cause I thought we discussed more?"

I've long believed that a lot of guys desire that kind of intimacy and use sex as a bargaining chip to get it. That's not to say there isn't value in more direct NSA encounters, but it was interesting for me to experience in real time a theory I've held for so long. The guy was a damn good kisser, too, actually. The best to date...

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                            Thanks for giving it a shot! I was never too interested in Camila and Shawn's relationship, but the stuff she describes in "Boys Don't Cry" is SO charmingly tender (and relatable):

"don't wanna be touched, don't wanna discuss, I get it, I just, now I'm in my head, about what's in your head..."
                            "it's not stupid, it's not drama, it's just trauma, turned to armor..."
                            I think that's the quickest I've ever wanted to bold a statement.

Possible/glaringly obvious beard setup aside, it's definitely sad how the ideals of masculinity are such that it makes it so uncomfortable for men to express a full spectrum of emotions. I've seen too many instances of how that can lead to devastating results.

About Camila herself: I've had mixed feelings about supporting her, but the fact that she was a teen when she said/did vile things makes me more inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt in her mid-20's. Not that being a teen makes what she did OK, but at that age, people deliberately say the most offensive, ignorant shit possible just to seem "edgy" and get a reaction from others. Even if that did reflect her genuine beliefs at the time, I can't pretend that I didn't have my own deeply ignorant, hateful outlooks in my teens. I never went on any racist Tumblr rants, but I definitely held views about masculinity and sexuality (re: "flaming" gay guys, dismissing bisexuality, etc) that don't represent me now at all. If others believe that she's past the point of redemption, though, I totally understand/respect that. All the "cancel culture" hoopla has killed a lot of the nuance around this stuff, but I think it's fair if a creator's behavior makes it too distracting/unpleasant to engage with their content (especially when there's plenty of other talented individuals on the planet to support instead).
                            Extremely valid points. I will say that I don't think a singular transgression should define someone's character and if it did, I'm fully confident that 100% of us would be cancelled. It's all about self-awareness and being able and willing to listen and learn from others. I don't think we ever get all the way there, but the goal should always be continuous evolution. Even now I have this thing in my head with bisexual men in believing that eventually, especially in more homophobic societies, they'll choose a female partner over a male one just for the sake of survival and one could argue that there are problematic roots to that position (though I would rebut that there are realistic merits as well).

But, yeah, I used to be super idealistic in my adolescent/teen/early 20s and now, I'm way more comfortable giving others (and myself) grace. CT made a comment some time back about me perhaps being 'too forgiving' as there are certainly problematic musicians that I still play (many of them in the hip/hop, R&B, and country spaces). Funnily enough, a lot of the people I see on social media who are loudest about cancelling others for their missteps have their own problematic views, beliefs, and practices.

Regarding Camila directly, it's an interesting point to consider that perhaps we don't weigh all isms/phobias equally. Personally, racism strikes me more deeply than homophobia and there's probably a good bit to unpack there as to why that's the case. A part of it probably is that one is far newer to me so I've had less experience combatting it as well as cultural norms, whereby I know a lot of people who have concerning views about LGBTQ+ folk that otherwise are not terrible people. It's probably a similar thing with Trump voters. They see a lot of themselves in him and are able to forgive/ignore/not weigh heavily aspects of his character that they would otherwise prosecute in someone else.

I just wish we could have open and honest conversations about divisive issues. I think we've gotten so polarised that everyone just retreats to their respective corners and vilifies the other side. Not sure that'll get better anytime soon, but given climate change, political unrest among nuclear power nations, and random pandemics popping up, maybe something else will destroy us before we have an opportunity to destroy each other.

Comment

I absolutely agree. I decided to be 'wild' a few weeks ago and I went over to this guy's place after a brief meet-up in person. I was convinced that he'd want to go full throttle into the 'adult fun' activities, but he literally seemed content to make out and cuddle on the couch. I was so shocked that I was the one who was like, "Uh, is this all that's happening tonight, 'cause I thought we discussed more?"

I've long believed that a lot of guys desire that kind of intimacy and use sex as a bargaining chip to get it. That's not to say there isn't value in more direct NSA encounters, but it was interesting for me to experience in real time a theory I've held for so long. The guy was a damn good kisser, too, actually. The best to date...
                              Woah, the best. kisser. yet?! Have you had any subsequent dalliances with those luscious lips? But yeah, in many ways, detacted sex can be much "easier" than actually letting down our guard and letting strangers get close to us in a non-coital sense (though, like you said, there's nothing wrong with things being strictly transactional sometimes too).

Extremely valid points. I will say that I don't think a singular transgression should define someone's character and if it did, I'm fully confident that 100% of us would be cancelled. It's all about self-awareness and being able and willing to listen and learn from others. I don't think we ever get all the way there, but the goal should always be continuous evolution. Even now I have this thing in my head with bisexual men in believing that eventually, especially in more homophobic societies, they'll choose a female partner over a male one just for the sake of survival and one could argue that there are problematic roots to that position (though I would rebut that there are realistic merits as well).
                              First off: many thanks and much respect for such a thorough, thoughtful response! Although it's not necessarily my place to say, I don't think it's biphobic to acknowledge the reality that settling down in "opposite-sex"/"straight-presenting" relationships usually comes with more societial perks and fewer risks (though that does fuel bi erasure). My youthful bi-ignorance was more along the lines of "basically all bi guys are just gay and afraid to come out/be honest with themselves"-type nonsense.

But, yeah, I used to be super idealistic in my adolescent/teen/early 20s and now, I'm way more comfortable giving others (and myself) grace. CT made a comment some time back about me perhaps being 'too forgiving' as there are certainly problematic musicians that I still play (many of them in the hip/hop, R&B, and country spaces). Funnily enough, a lot of the people I see on social media who are loudest about cancelling others for their missteps have their own problematic views, beliefs, and practices.
                              Hypocrisy is omnipresent (myself included, for sure) It also gets tricky when there's some people who might be well-intentioned and trying to "fight the good fight," but in unproductive ways, whereas others just see social issues as an excuse to stir up shit and "dunk on" others online (or simply want to shut down any mention of social issues at all).

Regarding Camila directly, it's an interesting point to consider that perhaps we don't weigh all isms/phobias equally. Personally, racism strikes me more deeply than homophobia and there's probably a good bit to unpack there as to why that's the case. A part of it probably is that one is far newer to me so I've had less experience combatting it as well as cultural norms, whereby I know a lot of people who have concerning views about LGBTQ+ folk that otherwise are not terrible people. It's probably a similar thing with Trump voters. They see a lot of themselves in him and are able to forgive/ignore/not weigh heavily aspects of his character that they would otherwise prosecute in someone else.
                              **Nod** I try to tread carefully around comparing discrimination, since nobody likes having their pain minimized/disregarded, but I'm with you in that it'd also be insincere of me to say that I view every transgression equally. The intersections of our identities make things extra-complicated. While I'm not teen-Paul anymore, I still have plenty of blindspots, biases, and room for growth.

I just wish we could have open and honest conversations about divisive issues. I think we've gotten so polarised that everyone just retreats to their respective corners and vilifies the other side. Not sure that'll get better anytime soon, but given climate change, political unrest among nuclear power nations, and random pandemics popping up, maybe something else will destroy us before we have an opportunity to destroy each other.
                              **Sigh** Yeah, and I'm definitely guilty of retreating too often myself. On one hand, it seems like it should be easier to broach these subjects with people we're close to, but then there's the greater risk of feeling hurt/betrayed when their 100%-candid selves aren't what we expect after years of knowing them and viewing them as allies. Like Kacey says about healing, progress doesn't happen in a straight line, but hopefully we can at least manage "2 steps forward, 1 step back," instead of "1 step forward, 2 steps back" We shall see. Also: no pressure to respond to all of the above (I'm always down to move stuff to PM too).

Thanks again, Akini!
                              Last edited by crystalphoenix; Mon April 25, 2022, 18:50.
                              last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Paulboard Top 30
                                Chart Date: 04/29/22

• Cowboy crooner Orville drowns out the competition in his splashy Paulboard premiere, thanks to some exposure over on Cheap's chart. Although Alesso's "Words" isn't off to an especially noteworthy start, it does inspire several re-entries for featured vocalist Zara.

01 (N-) 01 | "Let Me Drown" - Orville Peck | 1 (1) | [G]
                                02 (01) 03 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [G]
                                03 (02) 04 | "How Can I Not Know What I Need Right Now" - Charli XCX | 2 | [G]
                                04 (N-) 01 | "The Funk" - TIEKS ft. MNEK | 4
                                05 (N-) 01 | "Hexie Mountains" - Orville Peck | 5
                                06 (N-) 01 | "C'Mon Baby, Cry" - Orville Peck | 6
                                07 (N-) 01 | "Daytona Sand" - Orville Peck | 7
                                08 (R-) 03 | "What Else Can I Do?" - Encanto Cast | 7 | [G]
                                09 (N-) 01 | "Words" - Alesso ft. Zara Larsson | 9
                                10 (N-) 01 | "Lafayette" - Orville Peck | 10
                                11 (03) 04 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
                                12 (12) 06 | "Anything But Me" - MUNA | 1 (2) | [P]
                                13 (14) 04 | "Crying On The Bathroom Floor" - MUNA | 10 | [G]
                                14 (11) 04 | "Bodies" - The Knocks ft. MUNA | 2 | [G]
                                15 (04) 03 | "Hasta Los Dientes" - Camila Cabello ft. Maria Becerra | 4 | [G]
                                16 (R-) 07 | "Poster Girl" - Zara Larsson | 3 | [G]
                                17 (R-) 06 | "Look What You've Done" - Zara Larsson | 3 | [G]
                                18 (08) 04 | "Used To Know Me" - Charli XCX | 8 | [G]
                                19 (R-) 06 | "I Need Love" - Zara Larsson | 4 | [G]
                                20 (20) 06 | "Crash" - Charli XCX | 2 | [P]
                                21 (13) 05 | "Sorry If I Hurt You" - Charli XCX | 3 | [G]
                                22 (N-) 01 | "The Curse Of The Blackened Eye" - Orville Peck | 22
                                23 (05) 02 | "New Moon" - MŘ ft. Rebecca Black | 5
                                24 (R-) 07 | "All The Time" - Zara Larsson | 2 | [P]
                                25 (N-) 01 | "What A Lie" - Justine Skye | 25
                                26 (N-) 01 | "Kalahari Down" - Orville Peck | 26
                                27 (N-) 01 | "Outta Time" - Orville Peck | 27
                                28 (R-) 07 | "Don't Worry Bout Me" - Zara Larsson | 6 | [G]
                                29 (N-) 01 | "City Of Gold" - Orville Peck | 29
                                30 (07) 09 | "Easier Than Lying" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
                                [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
                                last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• There is a lot here that I don't know, but those are opportunities for fun discoveries! Was not expecting to see "What a Lie" here, though. That one has a fantastic outro.

02 (01) 03 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [G]
                                  08 (R-) 03 | "What Else Can I Do?" - Encanto Cast | 7 | [G]
                                  09 (N-) 01 | "Words" - Alesso ft. Zara Larsson | 9
                                  11 (03) 04 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
                                  12 (12) 06 | "Anything But Me" - MUNA | 1 (2) | [P]
                                  18 (08) 04 | "Used To Know Me" - Charli XCX | 8 | [G]
                                  21 (13) 05 | "Sorry If I Hurt You" - Charli XCX | 3 | [G]
                                  25 (N-) 01 | "What A Lie" - Justine Skye | 25

Woah, the best. kisser. yet?! Have you had any subsequent dalliances with those luscious lips? But yeah, in many ways, detacted sex can be much "easier" than actually letting down our guard and letting strangers get close to us in a non-coital sense (though, like you said, there's nothing wrong with things being strictly transactional sometimes too).
                                  No, actually. I didn't feel that comfortable with him, interestingly enough, and there are elements about him that give me pause.

First off: many thanks and much respect for such a thorough, thoughtful response! Although it's not necessarily my place to say, I don't think it's biphobic to acknowledge the reality that settling down in "opposite-sex"/"straight-presenting" relationships usually comes with more societial perks and fewer risks (though that does fuel bi erasure). My youthful bi-ignorance was more along the lines of "basically all bi guys are just gay and afraid to come out/be honest with themselves"-type nonsense.
                                  And perhaps even that is rooted in the fact that bisexuality is a stopover point for many men who eventually conclude that they're 100% homo.

Hypocrisy is omnipresent (myself included, for sure) It also gets tricky when there's some people who might be well-intentioned and trying to "fight the good fight," but in unproductive ways, whereas others just see social issues as an excuse to stir up shit and "dunk on" others online (or simply want to shut down any mention of social issues at all).
                                  I feel like the bolded bit is 99% of social media gays.

**Nod** I try to tread carefully around comparing discrimination, since nobody likes having their pain minimized/disregarded, but I'm with you in that it'd also be insincere of me to say that I view every transgression equally. The intersections of our identities make things extra-complicated. While I'm not teen-Paul anymore, I still have plenty of blindspots, biases, and room for growth.
                                  Same.

**Sigh** Yeah, and I'm definitely guilty of retreating too often myself. On one hand, it seems like it should be easier to broach these subjects with people we're close to, but then there's the greater risk of feeling hurt/betrayed when their 100%-candid selves aren't what we expect after years of knowing them and viewing them as allies. Like Kacey says about healing, progress doesn't happen in a straight line, but hopefully we can at least manage "2 steps forward, 1 step back," instead of "1 step forward, 2 steps back" We shall see. Also: no pressure to respond to all of the above (I'm always down to move stuff to PM too).
                                  Very fair point!

I think as I get older, the idealism I held to so fervently is giving way to realism and practicality. Sometimes progress happens in spurts, sometimes it happens glacially to the point where you don't even know it. I guess it's just being happy when you do see evidence of it and fighting fervently against anything that threatens to undo it.

Comment

There is a lot here that I don't know, but those are opportunities for fun discoveries! Was not expecting to see "What a Lie" here, though. That one has a fantastic outro.
                                    Cheap's chart got me crushin' on Orville pretty hard People did say they wanted to see more Country representation here.

Yeah, I recall a lot of underwhelmed reactions to "What A Lie" over in its song thread, but it works for me. There's plenty of catchy bits ("and it blOhOhOhOhOhws my mind..."), and there's something so cold/detached/disrespectful about caring so little about getting caught cheating. Idk, that total apathy toward betraying your partner (sleeping around and making zero effort to bother hiding the evidence on your phone) hits me.

No, actually. I didn't feel that comfortable with him, interestingly enough, and there are elements about him that give me pause.
                                    Oh? No pressure to dredge that up if you'd rather not, though!

And perhaps even that is rooted in the fact that bisexuality is a stopover point for many men who eventually conclude that they're 100% homo.
                                    Sex & The City had a VERY early-2000's attitude toward bisexuality that definitely didn't aid my understanding at the time:

“I’m not even sure bisexuality exists, I think it’s just this layover on the way to gay town.” “Isn’t that right next to Ricky Martinville?”

(And that episode ends with Carrie dumping a guy because she can't handle him being bi).

I think as I get older, the idealism I held to so fervently is giving way to realism and practicality. Sometimes progress happens in spurts, sometimes it happens glacially to the point where you don't even know it. I guess it's just being happy when you do see evidence of it and fighting fervently against anything that threatens to undo it.
                                    **Hug** Yeah, although I see myself as cynical, people still catch me off-guard/leave me feeling naive way too often for my age.

Thanks again, Akini!
                                    last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Oh my word! I did NOT expect Orville'd be at the top or that half the Bronco would be here! Daytona Sand is also excellent - that song was actually my intro to Bronco before Hexie Mountains. The Curse of the Blackened Eye has a great video. Actually, his videos are pretty great overall. Like you said, there's such a retro sound to his voice - would you believe Pitchfork downgrade the album because of his voice - sometimes, I think they just deliberately troll.

I hadn't checked out What a Lie before this, but that outro is actually a bit jarring I love the song once it kicks into the more sprightly part though

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                        Oh my word! I did NOT expect Orville'd be at the top or that half the Bronco would be here! Daytona Sand is also excellent - that song was actually my intro to Bronco before Hexie Mountains. The Curse of the Blackened Eye has a great video. Actually, his videos are pretty great overall. Like you said, there's such a retro sound to his voice - would you believe Pitchfork downgrade the album because of his voice - sometimes, I think they just deliberately troll.
                                        **Sigh** I don't want to dive into too much of a Pitchfork rant, but that reviewer really needed to explain himself better after dropping accusations like that. I can understand people not enjoying the vocal style/"gimmick" that Orville employs as part of his whole cowboy persona, but to declare that he can't "actually sing" just feels absurd/inflammatory. I wonder if his point was meant to be similiar to one that Mariah's often faced over the years: that she's undeniably technically gifted, but struggles to effectively convey nuanced emotions with her powerful voice (not that I necessarily agree in either case).

You mentioned that "Daytona Sand" was your intro to Orville (I absolutely love when he starts spelling out Mississippi for some reason) - what prompted you to check that one out in the first place?

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                        I hadn't checked out What a Lie before this, but that outro is actually a bit jarring I love the song once it kicks into the more sprightly part though
                                        Ha, I'm gonna sound like such an idiot for asking/not understanding this but when you and Akini talk about the "outro" in "What A Lie," do you mean when her vocals drop out and the focus shifts to the electric guitar at 3:28? Or the whole "money, moved on, my love, you lost..." part starting at 2:10? I'm just wondering if I added a short/edited version by mistake and there's a fuller version out there with some real wild/avant-garde outro.

Thanks again, CT!

last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• I'm not sure what Akini meant but I did mean the electric guitar, like where did that come from haha

Pitchfork really has a pick me mentality I think - they are just so try hard anymore. The only reason I do use them is because they do review new music, but it's gotten to the point where the review means nothing to me anymore. Some of the stuff they have praised is so unusual and weird, I feel like they are just working hard to keep their hipster cred.

ANYHOW, it was actually a friend on my FB feed - I have a group to post my top five songs every week - it's just friends I invited who don't mind being spammed with the selection, which is almost always "I have never heard of this song" - even when it's something huge - that's when I know a song has really made it - when even my friends have heard of it - I posted on there about Morgan Wallen and why is he so huge in country and there has to be something good out there that should be popular, and my friend posted Daytona Sand.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                            I'm not sure what Akini meant but I did mean the electric guitar, like where did that come from haha
                                            Ha, fair, that guitar solo does feel pretty random in this otherwise smooth, midtempo R&B track.

Pitchfork really has a pick me mentality I think - they are just so try hard anymore. The only reason I do use them is because they do review new music, but it's gotten to the point where the review means nothing to me anymore. Some of the stuff they have praised is so unusual and weird, I feel like they are just working hard to keep their hipster cred.
                                            Yeah, I still have a morbid curiosity about their takes sometimes, but let's be real, their business model was telling angsty alt (straight white) teenage boys exactly what they want to hear: the music they enjoy is objectively superior and they are objectively smarter for enjoying it (not that Pitchfork is the only business guilty of that, by any stretch). They do seem to have evolved in recent years, but it's such a bummer that we can't just discuss the more technical sides of music creation and celebrate innovation without burying it under layers of smugness, condescension, and gatekeeping. People suck.

ANYHOW, it was actually a friend on my FB feed - I have a group to post my top five songs every week - it's just friends I invited who don't mind being spammed with the selection, which is almost always "I have never heard of this song" - even when it's something huge - that's when I know a song has really made it - when even my friends have heard of it - I posted on there about Morgan Wallen and why is he so huge in country and there has to be something good out there that should be popular, and my friend posted Daytona Sand.
                                            Kudos for dutifully promoting your faves beyond UKMIX! Did many of them rush to Morgan's defense? Did they offer any other noteworthy recs besides Orville?

Thanks again, CT!

last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Paulboard Top 30
                                              Chart Date: 05/06/22

• In a week with new releases from Paulboard A-listers Lady Gaga (13 No. 1's), Tove Lo (3 No. 1's), and Ava Max (3 No. 1's), the victory goes to another lesser-known gem courtesy of Blondini's chart.

01 (N-) 01 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (1)
                                              02 (N-) 01 | "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga | 2
                                              03 (06) 02 | "C'mon Baby, Cry" - Orville Peck | 3 | [G]
                                              04 (01) 02 | "Let Me Drown" - Orville Peck | 1 (1) | [G]
                                              05 (11) 05 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
                                              06 (25) 02 | "What A Lie" - Justine Skye | 6
                                              07 (N-) 01 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 7
                                              08 (10) 02 | "Lafayette" - Orville Peck | 8
                                              09 (N-) 01 | "Watching You Go" - Let's Eat Grandma | 9
                                              10 (05) 02 | "Hexie Mountains" - Orville Peck | 5
                                              11 (N-) 01 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 11
                                              12 (02) 04 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]
                                              13 (N-) 01 | "Happy New Year" - Let's Eat Grandma | 13
                                              14 (N-) 01 | "Sunday" - Let's Eat Grandma | 14
                                              15 (07) 02 | "Daytona Sand" - Orville Peck | 7
                                              16 (04) 02 | "The Funk" - TIEKS ft. MNEK | 4
                                              17 (22) 02 | "The Curse Of The Blackened Eye" - Orville Peck | 17
                                              18 (R-) 18 | "The Edge Of Glory" - Lady Gaga | 1 (1) | [2xP]
                                              19 (R-) 11 | "When I Look At You" - Miley Cyrus | 3 | [P]
                                              20 (N-) 01 | "Private Life" - Allie X | 20
                                              21 (N-) 01 | "The Rhythm" - Hatchie | 21
                                              22 (N-) 01 | "Don't Leave Me In The Rain" - Hatchie | 22
                                              23 (N-) 01 | "Strange Conversations" - Let's Eat Grandma | 23
                                              24 (R-) 23 | "Judas" - Lady Gaga | 1 (3) | [3xP]
                                              25 (N-) 01 | "Quicksand" - Hatchie | 25
                                              26 (R-) 07 | "My Head & My Heart" - Ava Max | 1 (1) | [G]
                                              27 (R-) 04 | "Cycles" - Tove Lo | 10 | [G]
                                              28 (03) 05 | "How Can I Not Know What I Need Right Now" - Charli XCX | 2 | [P]
                                              29 (N-) 01 | "Thinking Of" - Hatchie | 29
                                              30 (N-) 01 | "Lights On" - Hatchie | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
                                              [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
                                              last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Great new entries for Lady Gaga and Ava Max.

Now hoping Ava Max will go Top 5 next week.
                                                Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• I seem to be an influencer right now!

Comment

• Just played your #1 and it's not bad. There's a certain other "Enchanted" track from another artist that comes to mind, which is a hell of a lot better.

01 (N-) 01 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (1)
                                                    02 (N-) 01 | "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga | 2
                                                    05 (11) 05 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
                                                    06 (25) 02 | "What A Lie" - Justine Skye | 6
                                                    07 (N-) 01 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 7
                                                    11 (N-) 01 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 11
                                                    12 (02) 04 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]
                                                    18 (R-) 18 | "The Edge Of Glory" - Lady Gaga | 1 (1) | [2xP]
                                                    19 (R-) 11 | "When I Look At You" - Miley Cyrus | 3 | [P]
                                                    24 (R-) 23 | "Judas" - Lady Gaga | 1 (3) | [3xP]
                                                    26 (R-) 07 | "My Head & My Heart" - Ava Max | 1 (1) | [G]
                                                    27 (R-) 04 | "Cycles" - Tove Lo | 10 | [G]
                                                    28 (03) 05 | "How Can I Not Know What I Need Right Now" - Charli XCX | 2 | [P]

Oh? No pressure to dredge that up if you'd rather not, though!
                                                    From our brief time together, I gathered that he struggles with severe depression and apathy, and I just can't do it.

Sex & The City had a VERY early-2000's attitude toward bisexuality that definitely didn't aid my understanding at the time:

“I’m not even sure bisexuality exists, I think it’s just this layover on the way to gay town.” “Isn’t that right next to Ricky Martinville?”

(And that episode ends with Carrie dumping a guy because she can't handle him being bi).
                                                    A lot of our fave shows didn't age too seamlessly; Sex and the City is one of 'em, but I still like it!

**Hug** Yeah, although I see myself as cynical, people still catch me off-guard/leave me feeling naive way too often for my age.
                                                    That's not on you; people are just awful life forms.

Ha, I'm gonna sound like such an idiot for asking/not understanding this but when you and Akini talk about the "outro" in "What A Lie," do you mean when her vocals drop out and the focus shifts to the electric guitar at 3:28? Or the whole "money, moved on, my love, you lost..." part starting at 2:10? I'm just wondering if I added a short/edited version by mistake and there's a fuller version out there with some real wild/avant-garde outro.
                                                    Yeah, I mean the electric guitar bit, too. I love it! Summer Walker added a similar kind of outro to her "Insane" live performance and I got my entire life!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X