Paulboard Top 30 | 04.19.24 | I know I Mountain Dew it for ya...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayRay
    Legend
    • 13 Nov 2011

Originally posted by crystalphoenix
    Your chart got me hooked on Emeli's "Brighter Days.

Thanks again, RayRay!
    That's good to hear. It's my most streamed song of 2022 so far.
    Mariah - Madonna - Debbie Gibson - Céline Dion - Lara Fabian - Linda Eder - Janet Jackson - Whitney Houston

Comment

• JSparksFan
      Moderator and Site Supporter
      • 24 Jul 2009

Some fantastic new and re-entries this week. However, should I phone the cancellation police for that version of "Do What U Want"? For me, it was my #5 song of the 2010s.

"This Love" flopping everywhere, deservedly so.

01 (01) 02 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (2) | [G]
      02 (07) 02 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 2 | [G]
      05 (11) 02 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 5
      06 (R-) 05 | "This Love" - Taylor Swift | 6 | [P]
      07 (N-) 01 | "Western Wind" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 7
      09 (05) 06 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
      10 (N-) 01 | "Two Ribbons" - Let's Eat Grandma | 10
      11 (R-) 05 | "Angel Baby" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [G]
      13 (12) 05 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]
      16 (R-) 08 | "Slow Song" - The Knocks ft. Dragonette | 2 | [P]
      18 (06) 03 | "What A Lie" - Justine Skye | 6
      20 (N-) 01 | "This Love (Taylor's Version)" - Taylor Swift | 20
      21 (R-) 07 | "Everytime I Cry" - Ava Max | 10 | [G]
      23 (R-) 14 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [P]
      25 (R-) 11 | "Do What U Want" - Lady Gaga ft. R. Kelly | 1 (2) | [2xP]
      26 (R-) 04 | "I Don't Search I Find" - Madonna | 9 | [G]
      30 (R-) 12 | "OMG What's Happening" - Ava Max | 3 | [P]

Fair, but they're definitely different enough to scratch separate itches/suit separate moods. Speaking of Tay's: that seems like a very strong candidate to be the "All Too Well" of Speak Now (TV).
      Oh, I would cry tears of joy if we get an extended "Enchanted" version.

Damn, that's rough, but makes perfect sense to not want to get further entangled with someone battling demons of that size. Hopefully he gets the help/support he needs (and then re-emerges to give you the snogging of a lifetime).
      Hopefully!

I'm extremely on-board with today's R&B up-&-comers bringing the electric guitar solo back in style. SZA next?
      Taking forever and a year to give us a new album.
      Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#6]
      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
      AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
      Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• crystalphoenix
        Site Supporter
        • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by JSparksFan
        Some fantastic new and re-entries this week. However, should I phone the cancellation police for that version of "Do What U Want"? For me, it was my #5 song of the 2010s.
        Calling. me. OUT! "Hold My Hand" inspired me to revisit Gaga's catalog, and I had a minor existential crisis when last.fm informed me that I'd played DWUW enough to re-enter. After my mental gymnastics to (kind of) absolve Camila (or at least give her the benefit of the doubt in 2022), I can't do that with R.'s crimes, and I wouldn't add new material from him today...but I just love DWUW too much to purge it from my library (and the Christina version is just so inferior). I guess DWUW is my truly "guilty" pleasure. I didn't realize it had held up so well with you too (enough to land at No. 5 for the whole decade)! I know you like the Xtina version more than I do, so did that play a big role in its longevity for you, or would it probably have done as well even without her?

"This Love" flopping everywhere, deservedly so.
        Ha, I still think the original deserves another chance/re-evaluation from you but I don't have much interest in the new version.

Oh, I would cry tears of joy if we get an extended "Enchanted" version.
        **Everything crossed** It'd be surprising for her not to do anything special with such a beloved fan fave (granted, "This Love" was quite the curveball).

Taking forever and a year to give us a new album.
        Ha, a part of me tells myself to "respect her creative/artistic process," but other parts of me are perpetually impatient The fact that the singles have been SO good just makes our thirst for the full album that much stronger!

Thanks again, Akini!
        last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• crystalphoenix
          Site Supporter
          • 29 Nov 2007

Paulboard Top 30
          Chart Date: 05/20/22

• Tove still has enough life left in her to claw her way to the top, thus seizing her fourth Paulboard No. 1 (following "My Gun," "Imaginary Friend," and "Really Don't Like U").

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (02) 03 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 1 (1) | [G]
          02 (12) 05 | "Hasta Los Dientes" - Camila Cabello ft. Maria Becerra | 2 | [G]
          03 (03) 03 | "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga | 2 | [G]
          04 (N-) 01 | "What Would You Do?" - Tate McRae | 4
          05 (N-) 01 | "Brighter Days" - Emeli Sandé | 5
          06 (04) 04 | "Let Me Drown" - Orville Peck | 1 (1) | [P]
          07 (N-) 01 | "Janet Planet" - TOPS | 7
          08 (N-) 01 | "This Hell" - Rina Sawayama | 8
          09 (01) 03 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (2) | [G]
          10 (05) 03 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 5 | [G]
          11 (07) 02 | "Western Wind" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 7
          12 (R-) 09 | "STFU!" - Rina Sawayama | 1 (1) | [P]
          13 (R-) 06 | "She's All I Wanna Be" - Tate McRae | 2 | [P]
          14 (R-) 08 | "Tokyo Love Hotel" - Rina Sawayama | 2 | [P]
          15 (14) 04 | "Hexie Mountains" - Orville Peck | 5 | [G]
          16 (R-) 12 | "Comme Des Garçons (Like The Boys)" - Rina Sawayama | 1 (2) | [2xP]
          17 (R-) 06 | "Make It Out Alive" - Years & Years | 9 | [G]
          18 (13) 06 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]
          19 (R-) 04 | "Paradisin'" - Rina Sawayama | 5 | [G]
          20 (R-) 10 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [P]
          21 (10) 02 | "Two Ribbons" - Let's Eat Grandma | 10
          22 (R-) 04 | "Swine" - Lady Gaga | 4 | [P]
          23 (N-) 01 | "Moscow Mule" - Bad Bunny | 23
          24 (09) 07 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
          25 (R-) 10 | "Wonder" - Naughty Boy ft. Emeli Sandé | 1 (1) | [P]
          26 (N-) 01 | "Chaotic" - Tate McRae | 26
          27 (R-) 03 | "Quiet" - Camila Cabello | 16
          28 (R-) 05 | "Lucid" - Rina Sawayama | 3 | [G]
          29 (R-) 08 | "XS" - Rina Sawayama | 6 | [P]
          30 (R-) 17 | "Problem" - Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea | 1 (1) | [3xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
          [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
          last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• JSparksFan
            • 24 Jul 2009

I've played "Hold My Hand" a few times in the last 24 hours and I like it a bit more now. It's got this grand kind of melody that doesn't really rise to anything meaningful, so maybe that's why I dismissed it early. It's earnest, but Gaga has done earnest so much better before ("The Cure" is the first example that comes to mind). Pleased to see that it's having staying power here, though. I don't know how much people consider it, but Gaga's 14+ years into her career now and I really appreciate how many different shades of herself she's shared with us.

Solid debut for "This Hell". That one's grown on me a bit more, but it had a much higher starting point than "Hold My Hand".

Yay at me bringing back treble-times-platinum "Problem".

01 (02) 03 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 1 (1) | [G]
            03 (03) 03 | "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga | 2 | [G]
            08 (N-) 01 | "This Hell" - Rina Sawayama | 8
            09 (01) 03 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (2) | [G]
            10 (05) 03 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 5 | [G]
            11 (07) 02 | "Western Wind" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 7
            12 (R-) 09 | "STFU!" - Rina Sawayama | 1 (1) | [P]
            14 (R-) 08 | "Tokyo Love Hotel" - Rina Sawayama | 2 | [P]
            16 (R-) 12 | "Comme Des Garçons (Like The Boys)" - Rina Sawayama | 1 (2) | [2xP]
            18 (13) 06 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]
            19 (R-) 04 | "Paradisin'" - Rina Sawayama | 5 | [G]
            21 (10) 02 | "Two Ribbons" - Let's Eat Grandma | 10
            22 (R-) 04 | "Swine" - Lady Gaga | 4 | [P]
            23 (N-) 01 | "Moscow Mule" - Bad Bunny | 23
            24 (09) 07 | "Levitation" - Let's Eat Grandma | 1 (2) | [P]
            28 (R-) 05 | "Lucid" - Rina Sawayama | 3 | [G]
            29 (R-) 08 | "XS" - Rina Sawayama | 6 | [P]
            30 (R-) 17 | "Problem" - Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea | 1 (1) | [3xP]

Calling. me. OUT! "Hold My Hand" inspired me to revisit Gaga's catalog, and I had a minor existential crisis when last.fm informed me that I'd played DWUW enough to re-enter. After my mental gymnastics to (kind of) absolve Camila (or at least give her the benefit of the doubt in 2022), I can't do that with R.'s crimes, and I wouldn't add new material from him today...but I just love DWUW too much to purge it from my library (and the Christina version is just so inferior). I guess DWUW is my truly "guilty" pleasure. I didn't realize it had held up so well with you too (enough to land at No. 5 for the whole decade)! I know you like the Xtina version more than I do, so did that play a big role in its longevity for you, or would it probably have done as well even without her?
            I think the Christina version certainly helped. Any time you have a song you love, then you find another version of it that's also pretty damn good, that only bolsters the song for you, as it gives you variety so you don't overplay your preferred version. So with DWUW, I had the R. Kelly studio version, which is still my favourite, the live performance with R. Kelly at the AMAs, the studio version with Christina, and quite significantly the live performance with Christina at the Voice finale in 2013, which is one of my favourite live performances of all-time.

Ha, I still think the original deserves another chance/re-evaluation from you but I don't have much interest in the new version.
            I'll spend time with it soon.

**Everything crossed** It'd be surprising for her not to do anything special with such a beloved fan fave (granted, "This Love" was quite the curveball).
            QUITE.

Ha, a part of me tells myself to "respect her creative/artistic process," but other parts of me are perpetually impatient The fact that the singles have been SO good just makes our thirst for the full album that much stronger!
            Yeah, I try not to disrespect the creative process either, but in the same breath, Rihanna was taking four weeks to record high-quality albums in the early 2010s, so Idk.

Thanks again, Akini!
            Anytime, Paul! <3

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• crystalphoenix
              Site Supporter
              • 29 Nov 2007

I've played "Hold My Hand" a few times in the last 24 hours and I like it a bit more now. It's got this grand kind of melody that doesn't really rise to anything meaningful, so maybe that's why I dismissed it early. It's earnest, but Gaga has done earnest so much better before ("The Cure" is the first example that comes to mind). Pleased to see that it's having staying power here, though. I don't know how much people consider it, but Gaga's 14+ years into her career now and I really appreciate how many different shades of herself she's shared with us.
              Many thanks for offering such a thoughtful look at "Hold My Hand" (putting it into words better than I could). For me it's basically boiled down to that chorus hitting the feels, especially amidst the nightmarish news in the US this past month. I'm surprised by the amount of adoration I see for "The Cure" around UKMIX! I definitely enjoy it too, but I didn't realize it had aged so well/was held in such high regard for many fans in 2022.

Yay at me bringing back treble-times-platinum "Problem".
              Your fingerprints can (almost?) always be found somewhere on my chart Funnily enough, "Problem" just popped up on Cheap's Retro Chart too.

I think the Christina version certainly helped. Any time you have a song you love, then you find another version of it that's also pretty damn good, that only bolsters the song for you, as it gives you variety so you don't overplay your preferred version. So with DWUW, I had the R. Kelly studio version, which is still my favourite, the live performance with R. Kelly at the AMAs, the studio version with Christina, and quite significantly the live performance with Christina at the Voice finale in 2013, which is one of my favourite live performances of all-time.
              You really run laps around me when it comes to live-version knowledge! I didn't even realize/remember that she'd done major televised performances of both the R. and Xtina versions.

Yeah, I try not to disrespect the creative process either, but in the same breath, Rihanna was taking four weeks to record high-quality albums in the early 2010s, so Idk.
              The pace at which she churned out those first 7 studio albums was UNREAL. I can't think of anyone else who's done it quite that fast since the '60's (maybe some K-Pop acts)? Mariah was pretty comparable in the '90's, but she also had a live EP, holiday album, and hits collection in the mix, whereas Ri was dropping album after album after album each with 11+ original new tunes. As much as I'd love more music from her now, it's understandable if she's burnt out/doesn't want to get pulled back into that machine ever again.

Thanks agan, Akini!

last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• cheapthrills
                Administrator and Site Supporter
                • 08 Jul 2016

• Just where does Orville Peck think he is going???
                • Obv love the #1 - always here for a Tove lo topper!
                • And your #2 is cute - I don't know if I've replayed it that much, but it is really fun. It's kind of itneresting we are getting CAmila and Christina releasing Latin songs around the same time, but I think I've preferred this song to Christina's release.
                • I actually thought This Hell would be a bigger impact, but maybe it needs a full week still. I actually think this one is ok!
                • I can't tell if I like Moscow Mule because of the song or because he's naked in the video.
                • How fun for Problem to appear - did my retro chart this week have any impact there?

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                  Site Supporter
                  • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by cheapthrills
                  • Just where does Orville Peck think he is going???
                  • Obv love the #1 - always here for a Tove lo topper!
                  • And your #2 is cute - I don't know if I've replayed it that much, but it is really fun. It's kind of itneresting we are getting CAmila and Christina releasing Latin songs around the same time, but I think I've preferred this song to Christina's release.
                  • I actually thought This Hell would be a bigger impact, but maybe it needs a full week still. I actually think this one is ok!
                  • I can't tell if I like Moscow Mule because of the song or because he's naked in the video.
                  • How fun for Problem to appear - did my retro chart this week have any impact there?
                  • Unfortunately, Orville's making his way down Paulboard Mountain now, but he might rebound around Mid-Year Update time, and whenever the Bronco Survivor happens. Did you snag hosting duties for that?
                  • Tove really ought to have even more No. 1's here, but a couple of her biggest/most enduring Paulboard hits got blocked at No. 2 ("Talking Body" and "True Disaster")
                  • Yeah, "Hasta Los Dientes" is definitely my favorite of Camila's Spanish (or even semi-Spanish) offerings so far
                  • There's a lot I love about "This Hell" (the lyrics giving a massive middle-finger to Christian fundamentalism, the references, the Shania/Gaga-gone-country sound), I just wish the chorus hit a BIT harder (like "STFU!," "XS," etc). The video might help win me over even more, though, since her visuals are usually gripping
                  • Bad Bunny's so f**king hot but I was genuinely impressed by the song itself too! I hadn't heard his voice much until I checked out the Un Verano Sin Ti Top 10's for UKMIX's weekly Billboard game, and it's sexy as hellll
                  • Ha, Akini actually got the jump on you there by sending "Problem" to No. 1 last Tuesday, but its timing on your Retro Chart made for some beautiful synchronicity!

Thanks again, CT!
                  last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                    Site Supporter
                    • 29 Nov 2007

Paulboard Top 30
                    Chart Date: 05/27/22

• Paulboard newcomer Ethel leads a flurry of debuts toward the top of the chart, while Harry moves into several spots further down.

01 (N-) 01 | "American Teenager" - Ethel Cain | 1 (1) | [G]
                    02 (N-) 01 | "Mon Amour (Remix)" - Zzoilo ft. Aitana | 2
                    03 (N-) 01 | "Late Night Talking" - Harry Styles | 3
                    04 (05) 02 | "Brighter Days" - Emeli Sandé | 4
                    05 (N-) 01 | "She Don't Know" - Carrie Underwood | 5
                    06 (N-) 01 | "Dead Mom" - Beetlejuice Cast | 6
                    07 (03) 04 | "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga | 2 | [P]
                    08 (04) 02 | "What Would You Do?" - Tate McRae | 4
                    09 (01) 04 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 1 (1) | [G]
                    10 (07) 02 | "Janet Planet" - TOPS | 7
                    11 (02) 06 | "Hasta Los Dientes" - Camila Cabello ft. Maria Becerra | 2 | [P]
                    12 (06) 05 | "Let Me Drown" - Orville Peck | 1 (1) | [P]
                    13 (N-) 01 | "Satellite" - Harry Styles | 13
                    14 (08) 02 | "This Hell" - Rina Sawayama | 8
                    15 (09) 04 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (2) | [P]
                    16 (R-) 07 | "Everything Is Embarrassing" - Sky Ferreira | 1 (1) | [P]
                    17 (15) 05 | "Hexie Mountains" - Orville Peck | 5 | [G]
                    18 (N-) 01 | "SloMo" - Chanel | 18
                    19 (N-) 01 | "Keep Driving" - Harry Styles | 19
                    20 (N-) 01 | "Don't Forget" - Sky Ferreira | 20
                    21 (10) 04 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 5 | [G]
                    22 (R-) 02 | "As It Was" - Harry Styles | 15
                    23 (N-) 01 | "Sunday Song" - Hatchie | 23
                    24 (R-) 02 | "Don't Leave Me In The Rain" - Hatchie | 23
                    25 (23) 02 | "Moscow Mule" - Bad Bunny | 23
                    26 (N-) 01 | "Strangers" - Ethel Cain | 26
                    27 (N-) 01 | "Daydreaming" - Harry Styles | 27
                    28 (N-) 01 | "Cinema" - Harry Styles | 28
                    29 (18) 07 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]
                    30 (R-) 02 | "Quicksand" - Hatchie | 25

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
                    [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
                    last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• Blondini
                      Site Supporter
                      • 01 Nov 2005

My indoctrination continues! Don't Forget needs a boost. Although it could be argued American Teenager needs a boost on my chart - not sure how that will go - its very busy...

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                        Site Supporter
                        • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by Blondini
                        My indoctrination continues! Don't Forget needs a boost. Although it could be argued American Teenager needs a boost on my chart - not sure how that will go - its very busy...
                        By the end of 2022, this'll just be the Tony's Charts Annex.

I'm definitely grateful/relieved that we actually got "Don't Forget" (right on its planned release date, to boot), and I'm not sure what could've truly lived up to the hype of a (basically) 10-year hiatus, but it felt like the NTMT singles had grabbier hooks: "it's the middle of the night, and I'm. so. goOoOne..."

Thanks again, Blondini!
                        last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• Blondini
                          Site Supporter
                          • 01 Nov 2005

there'd better actually be an album and she'd better put Downhill Lullaby on it, too

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                            Site Supporter
                            • 29 Nov 2007

there'd better actually be an album and she'd better put Downhill Lullaby on it, too
                            Ehhhhhh...

...but I agree that hopes are extra-high for that second album to (finally) manifest now, so I definitely hope we're not in for another 3-year-gap between singles! **Everything crossed**
                            last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• cheapthrills
                              Administrator and Site Supporter
                              • 08 Jul 2016

Wow, so much music I've never heard of - I'll have to check more of it out. The #1 song is a little too downbeat when I don't need it right now, but you do augment that with that danceable #2!

I'm going to need some explanation on this Dead Mom song.

Unfortunately, Orville's making his way down Paulboard Mountain now, but he might rebound around Mid-Year Update time, and whenever the Bronco Survivor happens. Did you snag hosting duties for that?
                              I feel like it would just be you and me! I'm already anticipating my Years & Years and Kendrick survivors will be a bust though, so might as well try with that one, But we need at least three of us! Very pleased Hexie Mountains is sticking in there

Tove really ought to have even more No. 1's here, but a couple of her biggest/most enduring Paulboard hits got blocked at No. 2 ("Talking Body" and "True Disaster")
                              I guess this is a problem for both of us!

[*]Bad Bunny's so f**king hot but I was genuinely impressed by the song itself too! I hadn't heard his voice much until I checked out the Un Verano Sin Ti Top 10's for UKMIX's weekly Billboard game, and it's sexy as hellll
                              He really is - it's the main reason Moscow Mule has had such replay for me - the video

Ha, Akini actually got the jump on you there by sending "Problem" to No. 1 last Tuesday, but its timing on your Retro Chart made for some beautiful synchronicity!
                              Akini ruins everything!

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                                Site Supporter
                                • 29 Nov 2007

Wow, so much music I've never heard of - I'll have to check more of it out. The #1 song is a little too downbeat when I don't need it right now, but you do augment that with that danceable #2!
                                A lot of other personal charts fueling those lesser-known entries! "American Teenager" is an interesting mix of bleak imagery and a sense of hope/resilience (though I might be inferring more optimism in the end than Ethel actually intended), with defintie Taylor country-pop-storytelling vibes (that comparison is how Blondini got me to check it out in the first place). Thanks for giving those a chance!

I'm going to need some explanation on this Dead Mom song.
                                Ha, I follow a podcast (on-and-off) that discusses/lovingly pokes fun at musicals, and for some reason the Beetlejuice one really stuck in my brain (YouTube also started recommending some clips from the show, which caught my eye). I wound up watching a whole recording of it, and wasn't a huge fan but "Dead Mom" was a highlight. It strikes a great dark humor-but-also-sentimental balance, while sounding like a catchy Kelly Clarkson-esque pop song (well, lyrics aside).

I feel like it would just be you and me! I'm already anticipating my Years & Years and Kendrick survivors will be a bust though, so might as well try with that one, But we need at least three of us! Very pleased Hexie Mountains is sticking in there
                                Damn, probably I'll be surprised if the Night Call Survivor ends up being a ghost town though (I know at least Akini's familiar with that album too). It seemed like a lot of people thought it was a step down from Communion, but that means they've at least heard it, so **fingers crossed** they turn out for the game.

Akini ruins everything!
                                A daily chart also means more opportunities to make an impact/put songs back on my brain.

Thanks again, CT!
                                Last edited by crystalphoenix; Wed June 1, 2022, 21:20.
                                last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                  • 24 Jul 2009

I have your no. 1 queued up, but I just realised there are a tonne of songs ahead of it, so will let you know my thoughts on it shortly. I am quite enthused by that debut for Carrie, though! I don't think she's had many top five hits here. I even see a bit of ESC impact with Chanel. Hopefully, you got to see her live performance. She ATE!

Is it just me or are the certifications not hitting the songs like they used to? Is it usually the case that the highest-certified song on your chart is *only* platinum, or is my memory having one of its random misfires?

03 (N-) 01 | "Late Night Talking" - Harry Styles | 3
                                  04 (05) 02 | "Brighter Days" - Emeli Sandé | 4
                                  05 (N-) 01 | "She Don't Know" - Carrie Underwood | 5
                                  07 (03) 04 | "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga | 2 | [P]
                                  09 (01) 04 | "No One Dies From Love" - Tove Lo | 1 (1) | [G]
                                  14 (08) 02 | "This Hell" - Rina Sawayama | 8
                                  15 (09) 04 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (2) | [P]
                                  16 (R-) 07 | "Everything Is Embarrassing" - Sky Ferreira | 1 (1) | [P]
                                  17 (15) 05 | "Hexie Mountains" - Orville Peck | 5 | [G]
                                  18 (N-) 01 | "SloMo" - Chanel | 18
                                  19 (N-) 01 | "Keep Driving" - Harry Styles | 19
                                  21 (10) 04 | "Maybe You're The Problem" - Ava Max | 5 | [G]
                                  22 (R-) 02 | "As It Was" - Harry Styles | 15
                                  25 (23) 02 | "Moscow Mule" - Bad Bunny | 23
                                  27 (N-) 01 | "Daydreaming" - Harry Styles | 27
                                  28 (N-) 01 | "Cinema" - Harry Styles | 28
                                  29 (18) 07 | "Boys Don't Cry" - Camila Cabello | 1 (1) | [P]

Many thanks for offering such a thoughtful look at "Hold My Hand" (putting it into words better than I could). For me it's basically boiled down to that chorus hitting the feels, especially amidst the nightmarish news in the US this past month. I'm surprised by the amount of adoration I see for "The Cure" around UKMIX! I definitely enjoy it too, but I didn't realize it had aged so well/was held in such high regard for many fans in 2022.
                                  I must admit I've become desensitised to gun violence in the US. Meaningful legislative change isn't coming, I suspect.

Your fingerprints can (almost?) always be found somewhere on my chart Funnily enough, "Problem" just popped up on Cheap's Retro Chart too.

You really run laps around me when it comes to live-version knowledge! I didn't even realize/remember that she'd done major televised performances of both the R. and Xtina versions.
                                  That largely comes down to me playing live versions of songs I 'overplay' just to give my ears a slight change.

The pace at which she churned out those first 7 studio albums was UNREAL. I can't think of anyone else who's done it quite that fast since the '60's (maybe some K-Pop acts)? Mariah was pretty comparable in the '90's, but she also had a live EP, holiday album, and hits collection in the mix, whereas Ri was dropping album after album after album each with 11+ original new tunes. As much as I'd love more music from her now, it's understandable if she's burnt out/doesn't want to get pulled back into that machine ever again.
                                  I understand it, but I refuse to accept it.

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                                    Site Supporter
                                    • 29 Nov 2007

I have your no. 1 queued up, but I just realised there are a tonne of songs ahead of it, so will let you know my thoughts on it shortly. I am quite enthused by that debut for Carrie, though! I don't think she's had many top five hits here. I even see a bit of ESC impact with Chanel. Hopefully, you got to see her live performance. She ATE!
                                    NoOo worries, wait as long as you need to give "American Teenager" a proper un-rushed listen (or two), since I think there's a decent chance it might land with you. It has major Taylor-esque country-pop-storytelling vibes (the Tay comparison is how Blondini got me to check it out in the first place). You're quite right about Carrie, so thanks again for spotlighting "She Don't Know" on your chart! Your comment inspired me to consult the Paulboard archives:

Spoiler!

UKMIXer Fan is a big "SloMo" supporter, so some of his enthusiasm rubbed off on me.

Is it just me or are the certifications not hitting the songs like they used to? Is it usually the case that the highest-certified song on your chart is *only* platinum, or is my memory having one of its random misfires?
                                    Quite right again! I think streaming's largely responsible for the reduction in multi-Plat certs, since it's just so easy to constantly check out new songs/entire albums now (therefore much rarer for me to linger on specific songs long enough to reach those play count thresholds). Lowering the cert threshold has crossed my mind, but I'm still pretty content with the number of songs that reach Gold and Plat - it's just 2x Plat and above that have shifted more out-of-reach.

I must admit I've become desensitised to gun violence in the US. Meaningful legislative change isn't coming, I suspect.
                                    Yeah, it's extremely bleak, and while I understand that pearl-clutching/SMH-ing about these tragedies online isn't going to produce any meaningful change, they're still gonna occupy some space in my mind (especially being the top headline on every news outlet/social media in general), which can impact what I'm in the mood to hear (even beyond mass shootings, like the impending Roe reversal, etc).

Thanks again, Akini!
                                    last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                                      Site Supporter
                                      • 29 Nov 2007

Paulboard Top 30
                                      Chart Date: 06/03/22

• Ethel becomes the first act since Charli to lock down the Top 2, while all the recent Kate Bush buzz impacts Paulboard in the teens.

01 (01) 02 | "American Teenager" - Ethel Cain | 1 (2) | [P]
                                      02 (26) 02 | "Strangers" - Ethel Cain | 2
                                      03 (N-) 01 | "Home By Now" - MUNA | 3
                                      04 (N-) 01 | "Libre" - Angèle | 4
                                      05 (03) 02 | "Late Night Talking" - Harry Styles | 3 | [G]
                                      06 (02) 02 | "Mon Amour (Remix)" - Zzoilo ft. Aitana | 2 | [G]
                                      07 (N-) 01 | "A House In Nebraska" - Ethel Cain | 7
                                      08 (N-) 01 | "Potion" - Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa & Young Thug | 8
                                      09 (05) 02 | "She Don't Know" - Carrie Underwood | 5
                                      10 (20) 02 | "Don't Forget" - Sky Ferreira | 10
                                      11 (R-) 07 | "Anything But Me" - MUNA | 1 (2) | [P]
                                      12 (06) 02 | "Dead Mom" - Beetlejuice Cast | 6
                                      13 (N-) 01 | "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" - Kate Bush | 13
                                      14 (N-) 01 | "Sat In Your Lap" - Kate Bush | 14
                                      15 (N-) 01 | "Hounds Of Love" - Kate Bush | 15
                                      16 (N-) 01 | "Silk Chiffon" - MUNA ft. Phoebe Bridgers | 16
                                      17 (04) 03 | "Brighter Days" - Emeli Sandé | 4 | [G]
                                      18 (N-) 01 | "Go Away" - Tate McRae | 18
                                      19 (N-) 01 | "About Damn Time" - Lizzo | 19
                                      20 (15) 05 | "This Enchanted" - Hatchie | 1 (2) | [P]
                                      21 (22) 03 | "As It Was" - Harry Styles | 15
                                      22 (17) 06 | "Hexie Mountains" - Orville Peck | 5 | [G]
                                      23 (N-) 01 | "Music For A Sushi Restaurant" - Harry Styles | 23
                                      24 (R-) 04 | "Constant Repeat" - Charli XCX | 6 | [G]
                                      25 (R-) 05 | "Lightning" - Charli XCX | 4 | [P]
                                      26 (N-) 01 | "Love Of My Life" - Harry Styles | 26
                                      27 (N-) 01 | "Sun Bleached Flies" - Ethel Cain | 27
                                      28 (R-) 03 | "Western Wind" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 7
                                      29 (R-) 02 | "Chance" - Hayley Kiyoko | 15
                                      30 (08) 03 | "What Would You Do?" - Tate McRae | 4

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
                                      [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
                                      last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• Blondini
                                        Site Supporter
                                        • 01 Nov 2005

More Ethel Cain! And Kate Bush via Stranger Things, i guess?

I have a question related to the actual UK charts? Do you know why Taylor's Don't Blame Me is charting in the top 100? I've not seen it on TikTok. I'm stumped. I have no reason to give in the weekly thread posting https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10910835

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                                          Site Supporter
                                          • 29 Nov 2007

More Ethel Cain! And Kate Bush via Stranger Things, i guess?
                                          Ethel's lengthy, slow-building songs aren't my usual cup of tea, but I'm starting to truly appreciate them! They really are reminiscent of Taylor's last couple albums, if Tay had stretched out the songs by a few minutes each and left more room for instrumental sections to breathe (well, and if Tay had the life experiences of being a trans woman raised in a Southern Baptist home to draw from) I still haven't watched the latest Stranger Things season, but all the Kate buzz online (the excitement about it re-charting, earning new peaks) rubbed off on me. I knew that she's revered, but didn't know her catalog at all, so I figured I might as well finally dip my toes in.

I have a question related to the actual UK charts? Do you know why Taylor's Don't Blame Me is charting in the top 100? I've not seen it on TikTok. I'm stumped. I have no reason to give in the weekly thread posting https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10910835
                                          I'm a grumpy old man who mostly avoids TikTok, so I can't offer any firsthand verification, but that's the explanation I've seen offered online.

I have no idea why it's blown up as a trend right now, though. Maybe something to do with her recent NYU commencement speech...?

Thanks again, Blondini!

last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

Working...