No announcement yet.

Paulboard Top 30 | Mid-Year Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm...so our tastes continue to diverge, I see. "Daisies" at #12 here is a choice, Paul.

I am fully here for the Dua Lipa tracks, though, particularly "Physical", which is everything!

12.) "DAISIES" | Katy Perry | 124pts
    11.) "PHYSICAL" | Dua Lipa | 128pts
    09.) "RAIN ON ME" | Lady Gaga ft. Ariana Grande | 136pts
    03.) "BREAK MY HEART" | Dua Lipa | 196pts
    02.) "STUPID LOVE" | Lady Gaga | 199pts
    01.) "YOU SHOULD BE SAD" | Halsey | 262pts
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Good to see you!

Top 3 is great. I like Grimes though new album is hit & miss for me.

Great year for Dua Lipa.
      Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        Hmm...so our tastes continue to diverge, I see. "Daisies" at #12 here is a choice, Paul.

I am fully here for the Dua Lipa tracks, though, particularly "Physical", which is everything!
        Poor underappreciated "Daisies" It really works for me, but people's reactions to her vocals remind me of the discussions surrounding Lewis Capaldi's "Someone You Loved": a lot of people found his emoting/straining intolerable, but it wasn't abrasive for me. "Daisies" clearly wasn't the ticket to get Katy back atop any offficial charts, though.

Thankfully, Dua's got the power to bring (basically) everyone together Not everyone shares the exact same level of enthusiasm for Future Nostalgia, but I don't think I've seen anyone explicity disliking or disappointed by it. I'll be pretty shocked if "Physical" doesn't win the Survivor.

Thanks again, Akini!
        last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by steophonic View Post
          Good to see you!

Top 3 is great. I like Grimes though new album is hit & miss for me.

Great year for Dua Lipa.
          Many thanks for the warm welcome back!

There's at least a few tracks that I always skip on Miss Anthropocene, but the highlights shine bright. "IDORU" feels the most reminiscent of Art Angels, which is the album that got me interested in Grimes in the first place. Dua definitely delivered one of the most agreeable albums of the year so far.

Thanks again, ste!
          last.fm

Comment

• Glad you are (temporarily) back! Wish you would post your chart again!

As for your top 15, all this time I thought your last post before stopping your chart here was You Should Be Sad, which I always thought was a hint about you leaving - LOL, but now I see it was Rare so there goes that theory.

Guessing it got a head start by being around from the beginning of th eyear.

I'm not crazy about Rina Sawayama or Katy Perry in here, but I like all the others. I'm imaginging Rian On Me still has time to grow? Also nice to see Idoru at #5! Wow! It ombed over on the GRIMES Survivor - I think you and I are the only ones who liked it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              Glad you are (temporarily) back! Wish you would post your chart again!
              <3

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              As for your top 15, all this time I thought your last post before stopping your chart here was You Should Be Sad, which I always thought was a hint about you leaving - LOL, but now I see it was Rare so there goes that theory.

Guessing it got a head start by being around from the beginning of the year.
              No shade or passive-aggression intended with my No. 1's, I swear! I just love "You Should Be Sad" uhLOT. Other country/pop fusions have really clicked with me in the past (like a lot of Taylor's earlier material or Kylie's Golden), and YSBS adds that extra Halsey edge to it: "just glad I made it out, without breakin' down, and then ran so f**kin' far, that you would never ever touch me agaAaAiIin..."

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              I'm not crazy about Rina Sawayama or Katy Perry in here, but I like all the others. I'm imaginging Rian On Me still has time to grow? Also nice to see Idoru at #5! Wow! It ombed over on the GRIMES Survivor - I think you and I are the only ones who liked it.
              Aw, I know "Daisies" rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm surprised and saddened to learn that you actually DISlike Rina Sawayama was far-and-away my most-played album of the year until Chromatica swooped in. Speaking of Gaga: "Rain On Me" will almost certainly rank even higher on the final year-end countdown. It's probably my favorite Chromatica track, but "Stupid Love" had a healthy head start (and provided a much-needed pick-me-up during the early stages of lockdown).

Thanks again, CT!
              last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                Aw, I know "Daisies" rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm surprised and saddened to learn that you actually DISlike Rina Sawayama was far-and-away my most-played album of the year until Chromatica swooped in. Speaking of Gaga: "Rain On Me" will almost certainly rank even higher on the final year-end countdown. It's probably my favorite Chromatica track, but "Stupid Love" had a healthy head start (and provided a much-needed pick-me-up during the early stages of lockdown).
                I just checked out Sawayama largely due to this comment, and partly because I saw a pop fan page name it the best album of the year thus far, and I'm rather shook, tbh. Melodically, it is such a crazy ride. I literally had to check Spotify to see if they'd inadvertently taken me to another LP when one song ended and another began. I'm not ready to take the crown from Future Nostalgia just yet, but I must say I am very pleasantly surprised by Rina!

Having said all that, the Rina songs charting in your mid-year update are not among my favourites from my initial spin, so the disconnect continues on some level.
                Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                  I just checked out Sawayama largely due to this comment, and partly because I saw a pop fan page name it the best album of the year thus far, and I'm rather shook, tbh. Melodically, it is such a crazy ride. I literally had to check Spotify to see if they'd inadvertently taken me to another LP when one song ended and another began. I'm not ready to take the crown from Future Nostalgia just yet, but I must say I am very pleasantly surprised by Rina!

Having said all that, the Rina songs charting in your mid-year update are not among my favourites from my initial spin, so the disconnect continues on some level.
                  I'm choking up over here! Our musical tastes/preferences have indeed pulled us in increasingly-different directions in recent years, so to see you share such a positive response to an album (and artist) that's impacted me this much is truly moving.

I'm not too shocked that "STFU!" isn't speaking to you, since we've encountered a disconnect over similarly-noisy/abrasive tracks before. It reminds me a lot of Gaga's "Judas," in the sense that it features these incredibly brash, hard-hitting verses with an abruptly bubblegum pop-sounding chorus: "have you ever thought about taping your big mouth shut, cause I have many tiIimes, many tiIiIimes..." Not to mention that wishing certain peope would just. STFU. already. is mighty relatable.

I'm more surprised that "Comme Des Garons" didn't click with you, since it strikes me as something that would fit perfectly on the same playlist as Gaga's "Babylon." Maybe the video could help its case? Rina's videos (especially for this album) are a visual feast.

Many thanks for taking the time to explore Sawayama, Akini!
                  Last edited by crystalphoenix; Tue July 7, 2020, 23:30.
                  last.fm

Comment

Working...
                  X