Jio's HoF :NOW:WEEKLY PICKS (16/04/2024)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShayLaB
    Manager
    • 30 May 2008

Originally posted by jio
    Originally posted by ShayLaB

93. KISS - Way too low. Terrific. "Aside from Kiss there is nothing on Parade I am particuarly proud of."
    Did Prince say that? I love that album
    Yeah...I have never found the exact quote but it went something like this:

"Aside from Kiss there is nothing on Parade I am particuarly proud of. The temptation is to get straight back into the studio but I am going to wait until I have a great set of songs ready."

I saw him being interviewed between Parade and Sign O The Times.
    101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

• jio
      Legend
      • 15 Jul 2009

Originally posted by jio

93. KISS - Way too low. Terrific. "Aside from Kiss there is nothing on Parade I am particuarly proud of."
      Did Prince say that? I love that album
      Yeah...I have never found the exact quote but it went something like this:

"Aside from Kiss there is nothing on Parade I am particuarly proud of. The temptation is to get straight back into the studio but I am going to wait until I have a great set of songs ready."

I saw him being interviewed between Parade and Sign O The Times.
      Hmmm I think "Parade" is the best album he did 1985-1991.
      jio CHARTS NOW:09/04/2024: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post11345288

Comment

• Blondini
        Site Supporter
        • 01 Nov 2005

^It's the best coherent (no-filler) album. The whole thing works as a concept and nothing is superfluous (unlike Rain, Moon and Sign - his other three standout albums).

Comment

• jio
          Legend
          • 15 Jul 2009

Moon? (otherwise I agree completely)
          jio CHARTS NOW:09/04/2024: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post11345288

Comment

• jio
            Legend
            • 15 Jul 2009

..."If it please the court
            I'd like to have the defendant place her hands behind her back
            So I can tie her up tight and get into the act
            The act of showing her how good it used to be
            I want it to be so good, she falls back in love with me"...

This beautiful R&B ballad was the lead single from what is widely considered Prince's best '90s album. Released using the Symbol as his name, this became Prince's last ever original US Top 40 hit single (excluding the re-release of "1999" and his cover of The Stylistics' "Betcha By Golly Wow") by making it to #12 on the Hot 100. It also made it to #3 on R&B and #20 on the UK Singles Chart. The song uses a sample of Prince's 1978 song "Baby" and ends in a spoken part depicting a courtroom drama. There is a video for this song on youtube but due to its low quality I provided a link to just the audio, but whoever is interested on the video (which features his then-fiancee Mayte) here it is

..."When the night falls and she calls
            I run to her side
            'cause she got the ride that I like to ride"...

This was the big ballad from Prince's 2001 theme album "The Rainbow Children" and one of my all-time favourite Prince songs. There is definitely a classic feel to this song about the perfection of simple old-fashioned real love and the way Prince sings the chorus is just gorgeous. Should have been a single IMO

88.WE CAN FUNK (1990)
            album "GRAFFITI BRIDGE" (album track)

..."I'm testing positive for the funk
            I'll gladly pee in anybody's cup
            and when your cup overflow
            I'm testing positive and I'll pee some more"...

This was originally a 1983 outtake which was for years a hidden gem in Prince's catalogue, known by his fans through his bootlegs. In 1990 it was reworked and finally released officially as part of the soundtrack of Prince's film "Graffiti Bridge". The officially released version features extensive vocals by funk legend George Clinton. Many people dislike this updated version, I think it is as good as the original one. If you wanna judge for yourself, here is the original.

And here is my favourite Madhouse track from their first album "8" with Sheila E. featuring on drums. The "8" album was far more successful than its follow-up.It peaked at #107 on the BB200, and #25 on both Jazz and R&B. The single "6" made it to #5 on the R&B charts. Still though I prefer "7". Here is "Hard Life", a mega-mix of all the songs from the "8" album

..."What if another universe complete with sun and moon
            An entire galaxy and what's worse, you and I too soon
            Find each other expanding beyond this dirty room"...

In 2009 Prince went back to his old habit of releasing multiple albums at once. This time it was a triple album featuring "Elix3r" by new protege Bria Valente together with two Prince albums the somehow subpar "MPLSound" and the superb "LotusFlow3r" (which even mentions Cyprus in one of the songs). Several cuts from the latter came close to making my Top 100, in the end only this one did. The "LotusFlow3r" project was pretty successful as it made it to #2 on the BB200 and #1 on French Digital Albums Chart and won Prince a Grammy nomination for Best Rock Vocal Performance Solo for the song "Dreamer" (which doesn't make it in my top 100) . The fact that this album sold just 3000 copies less than the Keith Urban album which topped the charts the week in question, in combination with some non-Billboard charts showing the Prince album on top, led to accusations of chart-fixing from Prince's side.

(you can click on the song titles to listen to the songs or see the videos)[/u]

Comment

• ShayLaB
              Manager
              • 30 May 2008

90.EYE HATE U - nice but without being a favourite.

89.SHE LOVES ME 4 ME - A-ha...finally I know who bought the other copy of The Rainbow Children. Like this a lot.

88.WE CAN FUNK - Really disappointed with this album and I don't think this is an outstanding track.

87.7 Interesting but not engaging...like a lot of jazz.

86.BOOM. Like this one a lot also.
              101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

• Blondini
                Site Supporter
                • 01 Nov 2005

Originally posted by jio
                Moon? (otherwise I agree completely)
                Works as a concept but most of the tracks are far too short and unsatisfying. But it's still a great album.

Comment

• jio
                  Legend
                  • 15 Jul 2009

Yes but which album is Moon? Parade?

Comment

• Blondini
                    Site Supporter
                    • 01 Nov 2005

Originally posted by jio
                    Oh, yes. Sorry - was thinking of the film - which i also liked (and i'm not ashamed!).

Comment

• jio
                      Legend
                      • 15 Jul 2009

Originally posted by Blondini
                      Originally posted by jio
                      Oh, yes. Sorry - was thinking of the film - which i also liked (and i'm not ashamed!).
                      I liked it too don't worry lol. But your original statement was confusing because u said that Parade is more cohesive than Moon lol

Comment

• Blondini
                        Site Supporter
                        • 01 Nov 2005

Originally posted by jio
                        Originally posted by jio
                        I liked it too don't worry lol. But your original statement was confusing because u said that Parade is more cohesive than Moon lol
                        Actually i confused myself! I thought you were talkig about Around The World In A Day. (Which really should be called Parade - given the lyrics of the album.

Er, oops! So - yes - i can see why he doesn't rate it - a lot of the tracks are more like demos than finished songs.

Comment

• jio
                          Legend
                          • 15 Jul 2009

Originally posted by jio
                          Originally posted by jio
                          Actually i confused myself! I thought you were talkig about Around The World In A Day. (Which really should be called Parade - given the lyrics of the album.

Er, oops! So - yes - i can see why he doesn't rate it - a lot of the tracks are more like demos than finished songs.
                          I think that's the charm of it. Around the World is good but it's just not fun enough. I guess it is easily my least favourite Prince album until the Black Album (excluding the debut).

Comment

• jio
                            Legend
                            • 15 Jul 2009

____________________________________________________________
                            85.ON THE WAY UP (performed by Elisa Fiorillo) (1990)
                            album "I AM"

..."All the suckers scream and shout
                            They don't know what it's all about
                            This is my world
                            And I'm sorry, this table is reserved"...

The truth is that I was for years under the impression that Paula Abdul sings this one. But no, it is Elisa Fiorillo, an artist who had a minor chart career (in fact she only ever had two hits). This one was the lead single of her second album and made it to #27 on the BB Hot 100 and to a miserable #31 on the Dance Chart and #83 on the UK Singles Chart. Despite that, I think it is a lovely piece of early '90s fluff. Elisa Fiorillo's career later on reached the heights of becoming a backing vocalist for Savage Garden and Billie Myers among others
                            84.1999 (1982)
                            album "1999"

..."I was dreaming when I wrote this so sue me if I go too fast
                            But life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last
                            War is all around us, my mind says prepare to fight
                            So if I gotta die I'm gonna listen to my body tonight"...

And here is a song that needs no introduction at all. The first single from Prince's international breakthrough album of the same title, "1999" originally failed to make it into the top 40 of either the US or the UK. It was re-released sfter the success of the following single "Little Red Corvette", this time making it to #12 on the BB Hot 100, #4 on R&B, #1 on Dance/Club Play and #25 on the UK Singles Chart. In 1985, taking advantage of the success of the "Purple Rain" project, "1999" gets yet another release in the UK (this time as a double a-side single with "Little Red Corvette") and shoots as high as #2. Of course the single couldn't be missing from the charts during the year 1999 itself when it was re-released (yes, again) and made it to #10 on the UK Singles Chart and #40 on the BB Hot 100. And if that wasn't enough it re-charted in the UK a year later (yes for the fourth time) making it to #40. This party anthem is rather unusual in its delivery as it features Prince, Wendy & Lisa alternating lines throughout the song. The catchiness of the record has made it one of the biggest 80s classics, covered live by such diverse artists as Limp Bizkit, LaToya Jackson, Pearl Jam and Kids In Glass Houses. So why do I have it that low? Well, if there is one Prince song which is overplayed, it is definitely this one
                            83.SPACE (1994)
                            album "COME"

..."I've had dreams of us cuddling on the planet Mars
                            Then when I wake up, I'm all covered in sex
                            With eyes that fall somewhere between rubies and stars
                            Don't look at me baby or I'll flex"...

This is one of my favourite Prince songs ever. It was the second (and final) single taken from Prince's 1994 album "Come" and didn't do great on the charts, just managing a peak of #71 on R&B. Still though it is a gem in Prince's catalogue. The single version is basically a remix with altered lyrics and a rap towards the end but the album version remains by far my favourite
                            82.SEXY DANCER (1979)
                            album "PRINCE"

..."Sexy dancer, you got my body screamin'
                            Sexy dancer, you got me just a creamin'
                            Sexy dancer, when you rub my body
                            Sexy dancer, it gets me so hot"...

This disco workout tune was never a single in the States. It was released internationally though, albeit without much chart success. Still, it is all the way a party anthem and it wouldn't sound out of place next to any other '70s disco anthem.
                            81.MONEY DON'T MATTER 2NIGHT (with New Power Generation) (1992)
                            album "DIAMONDS AND PEARLS"

..."Hey now, maybe we can find a good reason
                            to send a child off to war
                            so what if we're controllin' all the oil
                            Is it worth a child dying for"...

And here is the big socially-conscious ballad from the "Diamonds And Pearls" album. This was Prince's response to the first Iraq war (and "Cinnamon Girl" to the 2003 one). It was released as the fifth single from the album peaking at #23 on the Hot 100, #14 on R&B and #19 on the UK Singles Chart, positions which do not reflect the brilliance of this tune. The original video of the song (directed by Spike Lee) was rarely shown on MTV since it showed images of child poverty and starvation, so Prince had to shoot a second video of him and the New Power Generation performing it. None of the two videos are available on youtube.

(you can click on the song titles to listen to the songs or see the videos)

Comment

• Tiger
                              Legend
                              • 19 Mar 2001

84.1999 (1982)

Anthem!
                              These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART

Comment

• NothingFails
                                Legend
                                • 09 Jan 2004

Nice list so far

100.SHOCKADELICA (1987)
                                easily my fave SOTT era b-side

98.LION OF JUDAH (2007)
                                not a bad track but like most of Planet Earth (besides Guitar, The 1 U Wanna C and the title track) didn't really do much for me either way

97.HOW COME U DON'T CALL ME ANYMORE (1982)
                                fantastic. He did this when I saw him in 2007

95.NASTY GIRL (performed by Vanity 6) (1982)
                                Classic! I got the 45 of this just last week at a flea market

94.UNDISPUTED (feat. Chuck D.) (1999)
                                it's okay, but there are other "Rave" tracks I would've put instead

93.KISS (with The Revolution) (1986)
                                Classic for sure, but like you, burnt out on it from its overexposure. Sad that people view Parade as "that album with Kiss" when it's more like Kiss is that hit off Parade.

92.STROLLIN' (with the New Power Generation) (1991)
                                Nice smooth little gem

90.EYE HATE U (1995)
                                Like the song, but #90 is about fitting. He's had better, he's had worse. Too bad it was his last real US hit.

88.WE CAN FUNK (1990)
                                Not bad, but you'd think Prince + Clinton would be a better song

86.BOOM (2009)
                                Pleasant but not a fave

84.1999 (1982)
                                This and "Little Red Corvette" were the first songs I remember from Prince thanks to my older sister who had the cassette of 1999 in 1983. Certainly overplayed but still a classic.

83.SPACE (1994)
                                Good track, have the maxi

82.SEXY DANCER (1979)
                                Funky little disco tune

81.MONEY DON'T MATTER 2NIGHT (with New Power Generation) (1992)
                                Decent single but not a standout in any way
                                My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• Blondini
                                  Site Supporter
                                  • 01 Nov 2005

VERY low for 1999.
                                  Sexy Dancer is great.

Comment

• jio
                                    Legend
                                    • 15 Jul 2009

80.GIRLS & BOYS (with the Revolution) (1986)
                                    album "PARADE"

..."He gave her all the love that anyone can
                                    But she was promised to another man
                                    He tried so hard not to go insane
                                    Birds do fly, looks like rain"...

This was the second single taken from Prince's 1986 soundtrack to the movie "Under The Cherry Moon". Actually, it is one of only two songs to be included in its entirety in the film (which is why the video of the song is black & white as it is a straight cut from the movie). The song, like the Nice-filmed movie itself, is clearly influenced by French music. It also marks the debut of Eric Leeds as Prince's saxophonist. The song peaked at #11 on the UK Singles Chart but was never released in the States. As an extremely funky track however, it is a much better and more representative of the album song than its predecessor, "Kiss".
                                    79.INCENSE AND CANDLES (2006)
                                    album "3121" (album track)

..."Once U try 2 seduce me it grows and grows
                                    Ur mind will never deny what Ur body knows
                                    Eye know U want 2 take off all your clothes
                                    But please don't do it"...

Definitely the most seductive song in the 2006 Billboard chart-topping album "3121", Prince provides a sexy 90s throwback R&B gem with ease on this one. This is what I would call a song made for f*cking, even though the lyrics don't go quite that far
                                    78.DARK (1994)
                                    album "COME" (album track)

..."U took my sex and my money
                                    Took all my self esteem, yes u did
                                    U had the nerve 2 think it was funny
                                    I never knew a b*tch so mean"...

Prince attempted to do a reggae-influenced track on his 1992 album "Symbol" but the result ("Blue Light") leaves a lot to be desired. However he did get it right on this jam from his massively underrated 1994 album "Come". Like most of that album, "Dark" was recorded at the same sessions as most of the songs in "The Gold Experience" album and was intended to be used in the aborted musical "Glam Slam Ulysses"
                                    77.THE DANCE ELECTRIC (performed by Andre Cymone) (1985)
                                    album "AC"

..."Look-U're living in Babylon
                                    Makin', but not feelin' love at all
                                    When your youth is gone, when it comes 2 dawn
                                    A light of truth will shine and U will fall"...

Andre Cymone is the guy who can be seen jamming, as a bass guitarist, with Prince on most of his early videos. In fact the friendship between the two goes way back in their childhood in Minneapolis when Prince found refuge in Andre's family home when he run away from his own home. Later on, Andre, Prince & Morris Day (of The Time) among others would form an early band called Champagne. The two however fell out in 1981 and Andre left Prince over a solo career. Prince composed this funky track after the two finally made up, but unfortunately it didn't manage to turn Cymone into a music star. The video does exist in youtube albeit in really bad quality, but if you wanna watch it here it is
                                    76.WHY YOU WANNA TREAT ME SO BAD (1979)
                                    album "PRINCE"

..."I gave you all of my love
                                    I even gave you my body
                                    Tell me, baby, ain't that enough?
                                    What more do you want me to do"...

This was Prince's first ever experimentation with more rock oriented sounds, although the R&B influences remain clear. It was the follow-up to his first US hit "I Wanna Be Your Lover" but it was not commercial enough to become a hit itself. Still, it made #13 on R&B and it's a wonderful song all the same

(you can click on the song titles to listen to the songs or see the videos)

Comment

• NothingFails
                                      Legend
                                      • 09 Jan 2004

80.GIRLS & BOYS (with the Revolution) (1986)
                                      album "PARADE"
                                      Fun track, one of the standout scenes in the UTCM film

79.INCENSE AND CANDLES (2006)
                                      album "3121" (album track)
                                      One of his sexiest latter day tracks

78.DARK (1994)
                                      album "COME" (album track)
                                      Good tune

76.WHY YOU WANNA TREAT ME SO BAD (1979)
                                      album "PRINCE"
                                      Even though it wasn't much of a hit, I always loved it from the first time I heard the "Prince" album.
                                      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• jio
                                        Legend
                                        • 15 Jul 2009

Why you avoid the protege songs?

Comment

• Bn2pac
                                          Personal Assistant
                                          • 18 Sep 2010

How come I don't have BOOM in my Lotus Flower's album?
                                          Is there another version of that album?

Anyway I really like this countdown, I'll be watching, I like prince so much I can't describe . But I have to admit that i don't know nor own all his songs.

Comment

Working...