X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jio
    replied
    R&B 1991 Top 40 part 1

By 1991, I was still interested in dance & pop more than R&B but my interest on the genre was actually growing, most probably because that was the year I got into Prince and Prince was heavily new jack swing in 1991. That said, the R&B scene didn't change much during that year, new jack was still king but the entrance of harder sounds were evident a couple of years prior to the big change of direction in R&B. So this is R&B's best of 1991... according to me... You can view the videos by clicking on the sleeves. Enjoy...
    For The Love Of Money-TROOP & LEVERT feat. QUEEN LATIFAH

"New Jack City" was a very successful action film released in 1991 starring rapper Ice-T. Perhaps more memorably, "New Jack City" began the trend of mega-R&B soundtrack albums featuring brand new songs by some of the biggest current names in R&B/Hip-Hop. For this mega-collabo, the three rap stars are essentially rapping over the background music of the O'Jays' classic song of the same name. The "New Jack City" version made some headway on the R&B charts although it didn't really crossover on the pop charts .

Through-VICTORIA WILSON-JAMES

Having already tasted success as the main vocalist on Soul II Soul's "A Dream's A Dream", Victoria Wilson-James followed the footsteps of Caron Wheeler in 1991, attempting a solo career. Unlike Caron however, this (her debut single) generally passed unnoticed. Still though, I think it is a wonderful single. Just check out those drums towards the end.

Long Hot Summer Night-J. T. TAYLOR

J.T. Taylor had already scored 21 US & 18 UK Top 40 hits as one of the main members of legendary R&B act Kool & The Gang. By 1991 he was releasing his own material and this fabulous smooth jam clearly shows the craftmanship of a legend.

You Can't Play With My Yo Yo-YO YO feat. ICE CUBE

Yo Yo told us all we can't play with her... yo yo and in the process scored one of the most memorable female rap hits of 1991. Of course it didn't hurt that she had rapper Ice Cube on board. As years went by, Yo Yo will build an acting career for herself appearing in films such as "Boyz 'N' The Hood".

Straight Down To Business-READY FOR THE WORLD

The band is largely remembered for their mid-80s mega smash "Oh Sheila" but they were actually scoring R&B hits until 1991. This one was a very typical new jack swing smash which peaked at #12 on the R&B charts and a rather obscure favorite of mine.

Love Crazy-ATLANTIC STARR

I swear the parade of veteran acts is purely coincidental. 80s R&B maestros Atlantic Starr borrowed heavily from the UK Soul II Soul sound for the title track from their 9th studio album and although neither album, nor single were actually hits, the song got sufficient airplay on R&B radios and clubs to be considered a genre hit.

Housecall-SHABBA RANKS feat. MAXI PRIEST

Jamaica's Shabba Ranks remains one of the most recognizable reggae voices of the '90s and one of the most controversial ones too. Despite having already a hit single behind him, this Maxi Priest collabo (heavily borrowing from Maxi's own smash "Close To You" from 1990) is what put him firmly on the map. Although the song became just a modest hit upon release peaking at a mere #31 on the UK Singles charts and #37 on the BB Hot 100 in 1991, as reggae will take Europe by storm a couple of years later, "Housecall" would be re-released and shot straight into UK's Top 10, eventually peaking at #8.

(Everybody) Get Up-ROGER

There are few R&B sub-genres (if any) which are as infectious on the dancefloor as funk and there are few acts who knew funk as well as Zapp. By 1991, Zapp member Roger Troutman was releasing his own material and this little jam is just a classic. Unfortunately Roger was found dead of a shot wound in 1999, leaving us with a wealth of fabulous music to remember his and Zapp's legacy .

Emotions-MARIAH CAREY

Mariah Carey wasn't quite the lady with the most Billboard Hot 100 #1s just yet in 1991 but it was more than obvious that she was steadily heading that way. "Emotions", the lead single of her second studio album of the same name, became her 5th straight BB Hot 100 #1 and what was even more impressive was that that was actually a record since Mariah had only released five singles up to that time. In the UK the single peaked at #17 and remains a somehow underrated classic over there.

Why-SMALL CHANGE

Don't really have anything to say about this act, as far as I can tell they pretty much dissapeared without a trace following this R&B hit, still though "Why" remains a great jam in my ears.

Leave a comment:

• Grybop
    replied
    why the face?
    pm me your thoughts

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Grybop, parakoloutho to dokimanter sou... :-?

Leave a comment:

• Grybop
    replied
    Yes! It's good!

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Originally posted by Grybop
    Great chart, I love all those songs, except your #3, which somehow escaped me.
    I did say it passed criminally unnoticed in Europe though lol. Did you listen to it? I love it

Leave a comment:

• Grybop
    replied
    Great chart, I love all those songs, except your #3, which somehow escaped me.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    R&B 1990 Top 40 part 4

So 1990 was the year that I began listening systematically to new music (UK Top 40 was my bible on the radio) and whoever remembers how that time was... well it was involving a lot of running like an idiot or alternatively a lot of standing next to the radio (again like an idiot) in order to manage to record your favorite new song from the beginning on a tape. I have to admit I wasn't that much into R&B that year (I hardly even knew what it was exactly, I was only 13 after all) but I did enjoy several of the listed songs, despite having heard and loved some of them the following years. So this is R&B's best of 1990,,, according to me... You can view the videos by clicking on the sleeves. Enjoy...

Rub You The Right Way-JOHNNY GILL

This was Johnny Gill's second R&B number one and his biggest pop hit ever (#3 on the BB Hot 100) and remains an all time new jack classic. In order to get its appeal however, you just need to play it really loud and feel that bass.

Escapade-JANET JACKSON

There is absolutely no need in introducing this lady who by the end of the '80s had firmly established herself as a superstar having already eight US Top 10s under her belt and some of the most breathtaking dance moves ever seen on video. Despite all that, 1990 was definitely her year as her popularity in her country would hit dizzying heights with the release of her fourth album "Rhythm Nation 1814". "Escapade" was the third single taken from that album and it easily became Janet's third BB Hot 100 #1. Despite the fact that the song did not impress the UK much (it only made it to #17 there), it did impress me so all hail the queen of R&B.

Feels Good-TONY! TONI! TONE!

Although this was actually the 6th single released by this new-jack band, it is the song which shot them to superstardom by making it to #9 on the BB Hot 100. And once they reached the charts, they weren't planning to let them go. The band would keep scoring hits until 2004 managing gaining an almost legendary status on the R&B scene where their career will culminate in no less than five genre #1s.

It's A Shame (My Sister)-MONIE LOVE

UK rap artists making it to the US? That's exactly what Monie Love managed and despite having already a couple of UK hits in her name, this reworking of The Spinners' "It's A Shame" is the single which achieved the feat making it to #26 on the BB Hot 100 and #12 on the UK Singles chart. What was next for Monie Love? A career defining collaboration with Prince. But for now "It's A Shame" is the top rap song for 1990 on my list.

Dub Be Good To Me-BEATS INTERNATIONAL feat. LINDY LAYTON

What happens if you combine the producing talents of Norman Cook, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis on a cover of a S.O.S. Band classic? The answer is a mega-club hit and a mega chart hit at the same time. This is a fierce remake of "Just Be Good To Me" which easily surpassed the original in popularity in early 1990 spending four weeks on top of the UK singles chart.

A Dream's A Dream-SOUL II SOUL

Soul II Soul were undoubtly the biggest and most influencial UK R&B group to emerge in 1989 but by 1990, they had a problem:How to replace lead vocalist Caron Wheeler who had just left the group to pursue a solo career. The answer was with a string of female power vocalists. Victoria Wilson James is the lady providing the vocals in this jam which samples Rose Royce's '70s hit "Wishing On A Star". The single peaked at #6 on the UK Singles chart, proving that Soul II Soul had much life in them still, despite Caron's departure.

Close To You-MAXI PRIEST

Reggae and R&B were never far from eachother musically and in the late '80s/early '90s no other person took more advantage of this to score transatlantic hits than the UK's Maxi Priest. This remains his biggest hit ever reaching #7 on the UK Singles chart and going all the way to the top of the BB Hot 100 making Maxi Priest only the second (and final) British reggae artist to have an American #1 hit after UB40.

No More Lies-MICHEL'LE

Although this lady was actually scoring hits until 1996. no other song of hers came close to repeating the success of this new-jack swing classic. Originally peaking at #7 on the BB Hot 100 and being criminally ignored in Europe, "No More Lies" was produced by Michel'le's then boyfriend, major hip-hop superproducer Dr. Dre, and helped her debut album sell over 2 million copies in the USA alone

Got To Have Your Love-MANTRONIX feat. WONDRESS

"Got To Have Your Love" is definitely one of the most memorable singles of 1990 and one of the most evergreen club hits to derive from that year. That song has personally given me some of my best moments when I was still dancing like mad in clubs and it is one of the songs you will always listen in a retro club and for good reason that is. The song reached #4 on the UK singles chart.

Hold On-EN VOGUE

So here's my favorite R&B song of 1990. The opening single of one of the most important R&B acts of the '90s as a whole. I remember quite clearly being a love at first hearing with this song and then trying desperately to find out who sings it, only to result in purchasing the god-awful Wilson Phillips single of the same name. That said, this song was well ahead of its time with a beat far less in tune with the new jack swing groove of its time and more in tune with the mid '90s hip hop/R&B sound. The single made it to #2 on the BB Hot 100 and #5 on the UK singles chart and the rest is history for this all-time favorite band of mine.

most mentions so far:
    Code:
    1.Soul II Soul  3
    2.Beats International 2
    3.Johnny Gill   2
    4.Snap!   2
    5.Dr. Alban  2
    6.LL Cool. J. 2
    7.En Vogue  1
    8.Mantronix feat. Wondress 1
    9.Michel'le    1
    10.Maxi Priest    1

Leave a comment:

• Marius
    replied
    Well, mostly on pirate radios and in clubs actually. However, i remember Gia by Despina Vandi being #1 in the top 40 of one of the commercial stations, so some made it.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Wow Marius, thanks for checking those old charts of mine. I had no idea which songs' links were unavailable but that was to be expected with everchanging youtube links for most songs... ain't gonna change them... But the Alabina song you posted is the same with the one I had originally posted (I believe)...

Yeah, Arabic music is great and it still sounds greater to me the more I discover it. I do not know much of it but I now know certainly much more than what I did when I made that chart. And Khaled is a legend

And you are Romanian... so from the Balkans too... great... I knew that Greek music used to be popular in the rest of the Balkans in the '90s (I am assuming it's not anymore because it has become far less interesting than it once was, I don't like it much myself anymore) but I was unaware your radios were actually playing those songs in Greek... I was in Serbia in the '90s and I did hear Serbian versions of songs we had in Greek as well but not songs actually sang in Greek... and I thought it must have been something like Greek and Turkish music, everyone covering each other and nobody being quite certain as to who did the original version in the first place lol. Interesting to know Greek music was heard in Romania then. The only time I have heard original music from other Balkan countries being played here was Bregovic in the '90s and a bit of Azis now (OK Inna too but she sings in English).

And yeah French music is great and always has been... wish I was far more familiar with it too

Sabrina & Sam Fox>>>>>>>>>>

Leave a comment:

• Marius
    replied
    French countdown - I like almost all, especially

-#2.France Gall: Ella Elle L'A (France #2---Switzerland #5)
    -#3.Desireless: Voyage Voyage (France #2---Belgium #1---Switzerland #4---UK #5)
    -#4:Mylene Farmeresenchantee (France #1-Canada #9-Belgium #23-Switzerland #23)

Also, I recall how shocked i was upon stumbling upon the video for Patti Guesch - Etienne at the age of 11

Sabrina & Sam Fox - i am male, straight and was 11-12 when they were big, so obviously remember them well. I don't mind their songs, in fact one i have always liked by SF and which did not make your top 5 is I Promise You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU84ORB-Y9k

Greek and Cypriot acts - will listen to tomorrow, Greek music is immensely popular in Romania where i grew up, with the likes of Kaiti Garbi and Despina Vandi being almost household names so i probably know some of the songs you listed (if not by title).

Leave a comment:

• Marius
    replied
    Right - I need to read every single post in this topic. Also should start a similar one at some point. Will comment as i read on songs i nh before.

Well, skipping the Madge and Prince countdowns.
    First thing to mention is the Greek song links for the below have been removed by youtube, so FYI jio.

-Stefanos Korkolis & Fransesca Schiavo: Se Thelo/Ti Voglio (I Want You)
    -Sofia Arvaniti & Bonnie Tyler: The Desert Is In Your Heart
    -Nama: Odysseas (Odysseus)
    -Manos Loizos: To Zeimbekiko Tis Evdokias (Instrumental)

Arabic stuff:

-#1.Dalida: Salma Ya Salama (Egyptian)
    -#2.Rasha: Salib Fuadi (Sudanese)
    Not a big fan of these

-#3:Rohff & Mohammed Lamine:Mon Bled (Abdel Kader) (Algerian)(click here for the Cheb Khaled original)
    Much better

-#4.Cheb Khaled: Didi (Algerian)
    Brilliant. I think it was a massive #1 in France, his first of 3 that I am aware of (with Aisha and Meme pas fatigue)

-#5.Amr Diab:Tamally Maak (Egyptian)
    -#6.Saber El Robaey:Sidi Mansour (Tunisian)
    -#8:Yuri Buenaventura & Faudel: Salsa Rai (Colombian/Algerian)
    -#10.Alabina & Ishtar: Yalla Beena Yalla (Israeli/Spanish)
    Videos unavailable

-#7.Faudel: Tellement N' Brick (Algerian)
    -#9.Amr Diab & Angela Dimitriou: Habibi Ya Habib Alby Yadoob (Egyptian/Greek)
    OK-ish

I am not a major fan of Arabic music, but do you know these two songs i can recall liking, off the top of my head:

1) 2 of your top artists together, Khaled & Amr Diab
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKzP3gWAFJU
    2) Alabina's biggest hit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6J0FTl-ec

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    Snap, Neneh & Lisa Stansfield!! Great list mate!!

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    R&B 1990 Top 40 part 3

So 1990 was the year that I began listening systematically to new music (UK Top 40 was my bible on the radio) and whoever remembers how that time was... well it was involving a lot of running like an idiot or alternatively a lot of standing next to the radio (again like an idiot) in order to manage to record your favorite new song from the beginning on a tape. I have to admit I wasn't that much into R&B that year (I hardly even knew what it was exactly, I was only 13 after all) but I did enjoy several of the listed songs, despite having heard and loved some of them the following years. So this is R&B's best of 1990,,, according to me... You can view the videos by clicking on the sleeves. Enjoy...

Get A Life-SOUL II SOUL

"Get A Life" is one of those rare Soul II Soul singles featuring main member Jazzie B. on vocals instead of a guest vocalist. The song was the first single from Soul II Soul's sophomore album "Vol.II 1990 A New Decade" and, although it didn't break any new territory for the group, it kept them firmly on top of the UK R&B scene. The song peaked at #3 on the UK singles chart, becoming Soul II Soul's third straight UK Top 5 hit following "Keep On Moving" and "Back To Life".

Round And Round-TEVIN CAMPBELL

Although Prince's importance in the history of music is beyond huge, in 1990 two songs he composed but did not perform outshone his own releases. On the pop charts, it was Sinead O' Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" and in the R&B charts it was this little gem, also taken and featured in his 1990 flop film "Graffiti Bridge". "Round And Round" also became Tevin's first ever pop hit, making it to #12 on the BB Hot 100 but his career would continue strong for the next five years proving that he was a talent bound to make it with or without Prince's help.

Oops Up-SNAP!

Snap!'s second single was a reworking of the 1980 Gap Band classic "I Don't Believe You Want To Get Up And Dance" and that's the reason this single appears kinda low on my chart, since, otherwise, this is my favorite single from the band. Although Snap! would make a later career out of (equally amazing) dance records such as "Rhythm Is A Dancer" and "Exterminate", in 1990 the combination of Turbo B.'s rap and Penny Ford's out-of-this -world vocals gave the band a well-deserved place in the history of European (in this case German) urban music

Fairweather Friend-JOHNNY GILL

Former New Edition member Johnny Gill had a great 1990 with an R&B #1 album and two R&B #1 singles. This is actually his only 1990 release which did not top the R&B charts (it peaked at #2) but that doesn't mean anything since it was still a pop hit making it to #28 on the BB Hot 100 and of course another ace track in a solo career filled with them.

Make You Sweat-KEITH SWEAT

Keith Sweat is widely credited with inventing the new-jack swing sound with his 1987 album "Make It Last Forever". That resulted in a career culminating in a total of ten US Top 40 albums. His 1990 hit "Make You Sweat" remains a classic peaking at #14 on the BB Hot 100.

I've Got You Under My Skin-NENEH CHERRY

By the time this single was released, Sweden's Neneh Cherry had already four UK and two US hits under her belt. This single, re-working Frank Sinatra's song of the same name, was created as part of "Red, Hot & Blue" a compilation of songs promoting AIDS awareness. A very worthy cause indeed and a classic song to go for it, the song peaked at #25 on the UK Singles Chart

Sensitivity-RALPH TRESVANT

Actually before becoming new-jack swing's latest flavor, Ralph Tresvant was... a tenor. His career in music would proceed with a number of R&B hits, but this is the song everyone remembers him for. "Sensitivity" peaked at #4 on the BB Hot 100 and #18 on the UK Singles Chart.

Sucker D.J.-DIMPLES D.

This was originally a flop single from way back in 1983, but in 1990 interest on the song rose thanks to its inclusion in an American sitcom. So a brand new video was filmed and Dimples D. had not just a massive hit but also a major club classic on her hands, a status not fully reflected by its #17 UK peak

The Power-SNAP!

This was Snap!'s debut single and what an arrival it was for this German mega-act. The song spent two weeks on the top of the UK charts and peaked at #2 on the BB Hot 100, introducing rapper Turbo B. and vocalist Jackie Harris to the world. Interestingly, this is actually the only Snap! single Jackie would ever appear since she quit the group shortly after their breakthrough. The most interesting aspect of the video is probably the Russian-language intro which has bizarrely disappeared in all youtube videos. Just to prove the power of "The Power", people exercising to the song actually managed to 'cause a small earthquake in Seoul, South Korea in 2011. Different versions of the song have re-charted for Snap! through the years including the Indian-flavored "Power of Bhangra" charting at #34 in 2003

Livin' In The Light-CARON WHEELER

Former Soul II Soul front-woman Caron Wheeler launched her solo career back in 1990 with this very Soul II Soul-esque massive tune. "Livin' In The Light" remains Caron's biggest solo hit to date, making to #14 on the UK charts

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Thanks Skoolio)))

In which place are you goin'Chun?

Leave a comment:

• Chun
    replied
    Originally posted by jio
    Love the Pasadenas, Pebbles and After 7! Where were you in 1990? I mean geographically!
    In Athens until September, then to Cyprus...
    I will be in Cyprus in September

Great countdown! Listening to Hello Africa now.

Leave a comment:

• Skoolio
    replied
    I love you, jio, man. Did I ever say that? You're one of my favourite, if not favourite member of UKmix. I followed this thread from the very beginning and I discovered some previously unheard Prince and Madonna jams, as well as some other songs I didn't even know I knew. Love your 1990 countdown! Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    R&B 1990 Top 40 part 2

Won't Talk About It-BEATS INTERNATIONAL

Norman Cook is more well known.for his later work with techno mega-group Fatboy Slim but back in 1990, he was involved with a far more urban-sounding act. This particular song remains the biggest original hit for Beats International making to #9 on the UK charts

No Coke-DR. ALBAN

No, this song is not about what happens when you cannot find any coca-cola around, Dr Alban's second (and highest entry) on my chart is a rather clumsy shout-out against drug use and it sounds exactly like he proclaims at the beginning: hip hop reggae in a dancehall style... not bad at all.

Around The Way Girl-LL COOL J

Besides being a far more representative song of what was about to come from LL, "Around The Way Girl"'s performance featured here showcases that specific tongue movement which made LL such a sex symbol early in his career. The song (which made it to #9 on the BB Hot 100 and #36 on the UK charts) samples major '80s R&B hit "All Night Long" performed by the Mary Jane Girls, composed by Rick James.

I Wanna Get With U-GUY

Despite having just one Top 40 hit under their belt, Guy remain one of the biggest bands of the new-jack era in the USA. And this is a typical example of why is that. "I Wanna Get With U" was the band's sole 1990 release and became their 5th R&B Top 5 hit

Should Have Been You-MICHAEL COOPER

Not much really to say for this particular singer, besides that this Marvin Gaye-esque ballad was a song I knew but I was unaware who sang it until I made a bit of research for this chart

It's Gonna Be Alright-RUBY TURNER

Ruby had a career dating back to 1986 and despite not knowing much pop chart success on either side of the Atlantic, songs such as this remain unmistakable classics of a more romantic R&B era long gone. "It's Gonna Be Alright" was originally released in late 1989 but it topped the R&B charts in 1990, hence its inclusion here.

I Need Your Lovin'-ALYSON WILLIAMS

Although Alyson's career didn't last long, she will always be remembered for this massively beautiful UK #8 hit.

Live Together-LISA STANSFIELD

Lisa Stansfield is the prime example of Britain's blue-eyed soul movement. "All Around The World" was a massive transatlantic hit single in late 1989 but Lisa had much more soul in her voice than all of America's urban acts combined and many more hits to deliver. This Barry White-esque jam was the follow-up single to that massive hit and did not disappoint making it to #10 on the UK charts. Did I say that Lisa was my childhood celebrity crash?

Innocent-THE WHISPERS

This band's career is dating back to 1970 and its peak was the massive 1980 soul classic "And The Beat Goes On". In 1990 they were still making music and pretty good I have to say (although the similarities with Pebbles' "Girlfriend" are more than obvious I reckon.

Ghetto Heaven-FAMILY STAND

And here's a song that just about everybody knows. The blueprint for later electro smashes such as Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy", "Ghetto Heaven" retains enough soul to be included in this very prominent place of this chart. It became a hit in the UK twice reaching #10 originally in 1990 and again #30 in 1998

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Actually now that I think about it, I think we moved in 1989 so 1990 must have been a full year in Cyprus... yeap...

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCrazy
    replied
    Interesting chart will check some of these RnB songs I like Mica Paris.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Love the Pasadenas, Pebbles and After 7! Where were you in 1990? I mean geographically!
    In Athens until September, then to Cyprus...

Leave a comment:

• Grybop
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Forgot to say, there are video links if you click on the covers

Leave a comment:

• Wardo
    replied
    My favorite is Mama Said Knock You Out. He goes hard!!!!!!!!! The video is classic

Very nice presentation, Jio!

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    R&B 1990 Top 40 part 1

So 1990 was the year that I began listening systematically to new music (UK Top 40 was my bible on the radio) and whoever remembers how that time was... well it was involving a lot of running like an idiot or alternatively a lot of standing next to the radio (again like an idiot) in order to manage to record your favorite new song from the beginning on a tape. I have to admit I wasn't that much into R&B that year (I hardly even knew what it was exactly, I was only 13 after all) but I did enjoy several of the listed songs, despite having heard and loved some of them the following years. So this is R&B's best of 1990,,, according to me... Enjoy...

Contribution-MICA PARIS feat. RAKIM

Mica Paris was a major artist of the UK early '90s soul scene and even though her debut single remains her sole Top 10 hit, she has several hit singles under her belt. This one reached #33 on the charts and remains an ace track.

Addicted To Your Love-GAP BAND

Gap Band are legends of course with a career dating back to the late '70s and major '80s R&B classics under their belt such as "Burn Rubber On Me". Although by 1990, their '80s career peak had officially ended, they did flirt with new jack sounds and that resulted in this cute single, Despite failing becoming a pop hit, "Addicted To Your Love" still made it to #8 on the R&B charts

Hello Africa-DR. ALBAN feat. LEILA K.

More well-known for his later euro-dance smashes such as the god-awful "It's My Life", this Swedish dentist actually began his career with songs blending euro-dance with rap and songs which were hip-hop enough to be included in this chart. For this debut single by Dr. Alban, another Swedish dance diva, Leila K. , makes an appearance.

Missing You-SOUL II SOUL feat. KYM MAZELLE

New jack swing never really took off in Europe. Here, a band called Soul II Soul had created their own R&B sound with 1989's "Back To Life" and took everything by storm. The band was still riding high on the charts in 1990 and this fantastic soul ditty was actually their smallest hit for the year, making it to #22 on the UK singles chart

Giving You The Benefit-PEBBLES

Pebbles had made a big name for herself in the late '80s with songs which mixed dance & R&B sounds such as "Girlfriend". Big things were expected from her in 1990 and indeed "Giving You The Benefit" did not disappoint as it made it to #4 on the BB Hot 100. It was the third (and final) Top 10 hit for Pebbles

Love Thing-PASADENAS

Another UK soul act, The Pasadenas had a career dating back to 1988 but, unfortunately, are one of those acts which never really survived the arrival of hard street sounds later in the decade. Still though, I remember this UK #22 hit quite clearly and that's reason enough to celebrate it

Mama Said Knock You Out-LL COOL J

I doubt many people thought that this particular rapper would end up scoring 17 US and 22 UK hit singles. This song is probably one of the hardest LL has ever recorded and made it to #17 on the BB Hot 100. He would soften a lot as years went by which is part of the reason this remains a classic

Expression-SALT 'N' PEPA

I assume there's gonna be enough space to count down the numerous achievements of this legendary act. For now, let's just say that one year after Madonna expressed herself, Salt 'N' Pepa did the same with this club stormer (and, for good measure, throwing in a bit of vogueing in the video)

Can't Stop-AFTER 7

After 7 were an R&B boy band created in the late '80s by none other than Babyface. Although Babyface would go on to compose some of the biggest R&B hits of the '90s, this boyband remains largely unknown in Europe. This particular single made it to #6 on BB Hot 100

Stay-GLENN JONES

Of course everyone and their mums knows this single, just nobody knows Glenn... Well this particular song will definitely make another appearance in another year in a version by a much more well-known R&B act, for now here is the great original version...

Leave a comment:

• Wardo
    replied
    Originally posted by jio
    COMING SOON: R&B the 90s
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X