• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NothingFails
    replied
    Sorry for the lag

40.1+1+1=3 (2001)
    album "THE RAINBOW CHILDREN" (album track)
    Funky track, one of the only TRC songs I like

39.LOVE...THY WILL BE DONE (performed by Martika) (1991)
    album "MARTIKA'S KITCHEN"
    Excellent track that seems to be forgotten now even though it was a US top 10

38.PHEROMONE (1994)
    album "COME" (album track)
    Good track

37.SHE'S ALWAYS IN MY HAIR (with The Revolution) (1985)
    from "RASPBERRY BERET" single (b-side)
    Definitely one of his best b-sides and a song that would've been a hit had it been a single on its own

36.AND GOD CREATED WOMAN (with The New Power Generation) (1992)
    album "SYMBOL" (album track)
    Nice ballad and one of my faves off O+>

35.YO MISTER (performed by Patti LaBelle) (1989)
    album "BE YOURSELF"
    Good and underrated. When Prince made a rare appearance on Arsenio Hall in 1991 (back when Prince on talk shows was far rarer than it is now), Patti was also there to talk about him

34.D.M.S.R. (1982)
    album "1999" (album track)
    Pure epic. Also used in the party scene of "Risky Business"

33.SIGN O' THE TIMES (1987)
    album "SIGN O' THE TIMES"
    A song that remains relevant 24 years later. I'm still surprised a song so minimalistic and melodiless still was such a hit, but that's the sign of a great song.

32.WILLING AND ABLE (with The New Power Generation) (1991)
    album "DIAMONDS AND PEARLS" (album track)
    One of the best non-singles off D&P

31.FUTURE BABY MAMA (2007)
    album "PLANET EARTH" (album track)
    Not bad, but surprised it's this high

30.POP LIFE (with The Revolution) (1985)
    album "AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAY"
    Another great single from the mid-80's. Too bad there was no video

29.STRANGE RELATIONSHIP (1987)
    album "SIGN O' THE TIMES" (album track)
    Even though SOTT already had 4 (5 if you count Hot Thing charting as a b-side) singles, I'm surprised this wasn't even considered.

28.BAMBI (1980)
    album "PRINCE"
    While the lyrics are naive and could even be interpreted as homophobic (since he's telling a lesbian sex with him is better), the song rocks and was one of the earliest indicators that he was going to dabble in more than just funk/r&b.

27.THE QUESTION OF U (1990)
    album "GRAFFITI BRIDGE" (album track)
    Probably the greatest track off Graffiti Bridge (which IMO was an underrated record. The movie sucked but the album was good)

26.LET'S WORK (1982)
    album "CONTROVERSY"
    This song proves that he was still saving some great funk jams for himself instead of giving them all to The Time at that point.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Pop Life fantastic, Strange Relationship is a quirky delight, Bambi is an amazing rocker, Let's Work is good. Not so keen on the other song.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied

..."What's the matter with your world?
    Was it a boy when U wanted a girl?
    Don't U know straight hair ain't got no curl?
    Life it ain't real funky unless it's got that pop"...

So what do you do when you have scored one of the most successful albums of all time? If you are Michael Jackson, you wait five years, you release something roughly similar with big budget promotion and you repeat the feat. If you are Prince you wait less than a year and you come back with the most musically different album possible with no promotion at all. That was "Around The World In A Day" for you: Prince's statement that he is more of an artist than a chart star with a bigger need of releasing music than trying to achieve maximum chart impact. "Around The World In A Day" was released approximately 10 months after "Purple Rain" without Prince's presence on the cover and without a promo-single. This bizarre strategy was chosen because of Prince's own wishes. He just wanted the music to shine by itself. And shine it did: the album became Prince's second US #1 album and peaked at #4 on R&B and #5 on the UK Albums Chart. The first single from the album was released a full month after the album itself, but it was the third overall single, "Pop Life", which sounded the closest to Prince of old and thus it is the highest ranking song from the album in my Top 100. "Pop Life" peaked at #7 on the Hot 100, #8 on R&B, #5 on Dance/Club Play but missed the Top 40 in the UK. A cover of the song by Elvis Costello was never materialised because of Prince's refusal to permit it.

..."I came and took your love, I took your body
    I took my self respect you ever had
    I took you for a ride and baby, I'm sorry
    The more you love me, sugar, the more it makes me mad"...

"Strange Relationship" is actually a song which sat in Prince's vault for five years before Prince let it shine in "Sign O' The Times". Originally composed in 1982, it was re-recorded numerous times and considered for a number of aborted 1986 projects such as "Dream Factory", "Camille" and "Crystal Ball". Thankfully Prince included it in his 1987 "Sign O' The Times" album. The song remained an album track for 18 years, during which it became a concert sing-a-long favourite. Finally in 2005 a live version of the song tour was released as a single, making "Strange Relationship" the Prince song with the longest from-album-to-single history.

..."All your lovers, they look just like you
    but they can only do the things that you do
    Oh come on baby and take me by the hand
    I'm gonna show you what it's like to be loved by a man"...

Although Prince flirted with rock also on "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad", it was this single which saw him going all the way. As a skilled guitarist (among other musical instruments he plays) rock songs almost always feature in Prince's albums but, to be honest, he rarely (if ever) surpassed this gem. The song was released, in most of the world, as the b-side to the rather unspectacular ballad "Still Waiting", although Belgium got a better deal. In that country the single was flipped over with "Bambi" becoming the a-side and "Still Waiting" the b-side. T.C. Ellis recorded a rather dull rap version of this rock banger.

..."Which way do I turn when I'm feeling lost?
    If I sell my soul, now what will it cost?
    Must I become naked, no image at all?
    Shall I remain upright or get down and crawl?"...

Everybody knows the "Purple Rain" film, few know that it actually had a sequel. And that was 1990's "Graffiti Bridge", written and directed by Prince and starring Prince himself and Morris Day of The Time. The film entered the Box Office Weekend Chart at #8 (on the strength of "Purple Rain"), dropped down like a rock and became another enormous success at the Golden Raspberry Awards where it was nominated for Worst Picture, Worst Actor (Prince), Worst Screenplay (Prince), Worst Director (Prince) and Worst New Star (Ingrid Chavez). Even though it lost in all categories (I am shocked by this), I have to say that the film was so bad that made "Shanghai Surprise" look like "Gone With The Wind" in comparison. In fact it was so bad that Madonna herself, not exactly famous for her talent in picking movie roles, refused to star in it. Still though, the film had a soundtrack performed by Prince and related artists and that soundtrack was pretty good. It became Prince's third UK #1 album and peaked at #6 on both the BB 200 and R&B. So from that album comes this amazing ballad (originally composed in 1985), which sounds like it came out of some stage musical rather than a pop album.

..."I'd love to turn you on
    I'd work you all night long
    if I could get you in the raw
    I'd make you climb the walls"...

This was the second single from Prince's 1981 album "Controversy". Originally refering to a Minneapolis dance craze called "the rock", Warner refused to release it as a non-album single so Prince reworked it and changed its name from "Let's Rock" to "Let's Work" and the result was this fab funk song. Musically,it is typical early '80s Prince and it was the first Prince US single to feature a non-album b-side (the UK single "Gotta Stop (Messin' About)" which narrowly missed my Top 100). It peaked at #9 on R&B

(you can click on the song titles to listen to the songs or see the videos)

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    All good - that Patti song is great - should have been bigger than that.

Sign is of course a masterpiece.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied

..."Her father cried when I told him that Cara twice got knocked up
    He said"Just like her mama, aha, she shows her body
    when she wants to show love, she tried that stuff with me
    and I beat her down, there's no way I could let her stay
    Couldn't let her stick around"...

Pati LaBelle needs no introduction at all: a legend, a twice Grammy Award winner, a Grammy Hall Of Fame inductee and of course an amazing voice. In 1989, the two legends worked together in two songs from Patti's album "Be Yourself" and this Prince-penned fab single peaked at #6 on R&B, becoming one of just 11 R&B Top 10s for Patti. Enjoy.

..."I say everybody scr*w the masses
    We only want to have some fun
    I say do whatever we want wear lingerie in a restaurant
    Policeman got no gun, you don't have to run"...

Prince's "1999" album was a major step in Prince's career. It was the album that first included The Revolution (as a backing band without a leading co-credit, in contrast with Prince's next three albums), it was Prince's first prolific album clocking in at 70 minutes instead of the more usual, for its time, half-an-hour and bringing the electronic sounds, which Prince started using since the beginning of the '80s, to the forefont. If you only want to listen to one song to understand how the album sounds, you should choose "D.M.S.R.". It's a record of 8 minutes of pure, deep funk which, rather tastelessly, was not included in the short edition of the album released along the main one. This was never released as a single or even as a b-side but still remains one of Prince's best songs ever. Oh and "D.M.S.R." stands for "Dance, Music, Sex, Romance", in short everything Prince stood for at the time

..."Is it silly no, when a rocket blows
    and everybody still wants to fly
    Some say that man ain't happy, truly
    until a man truly dies. Oh why?
    Sign o' the times"...

"Sign O' The Times" was an ambitious project and its lead single, the title track, was similarly an ambitious song. The song has a very minimal production, not unlike Prince's biggest hit ever "When Doves Cry", and the lyrics provide a caustic commentary on the ethos of the period the song was written and released, a commentary which doesn't sound out of place even today, 24 years later. Prince wanted the public to pay attention to the lyrics which is why the video of this song (which luckily can be found in youtube) consists of a black screen with just the lyrics passing through. This didn't stop the song from becoming a sizeable hit peaking at #3 on the Hot 100, #1 on R&B, #2 on Dance/Club Play and #10 on the UK Singles Chart. It has been covered by the Simple Minds, Nina Simone and Chaka Khan among others

..."Let me take a bite to see if you're ripe
    I'm kinda thinkin' about takin' a hunk chunk
    A piece of your love tonight"...

Even though "Diamonds And Pearls" is one of the most dated Prince albums ever IMO, it does include more than its fair share of gems. And this is one of them. Here Prince incorporates perfectly both gospel (courtesy of Rosie Gaines) and rap in a pop-structured song and creates an energetic timeless tune which simply stands out. Despite this not being a single or a b-side, a video was filmed for inclusion in Prince's home music video release "Diamonds And Pearls" (albeit Prince himself is not featured in it)

..."Yeah, I know you might be fine but I've seen it all before
    Cinderella was a waste of time and oops, she's out the door
    To build a house together, the thing that matters more
    is under the floor, a strong foundation that last forever more"...

Some people consider "Planet Earth" a dissapointment coming after the commercial breakthroughs of "Musicology" and "3121". I disagree. "Planet Earth" was definitely not as ambitious or as chart-oriented as those two albums were, but it still did its job of keeping Prince in the spotlight. It peaked at #3 on the BB 200, #1 on R&B and reached thousands of homes in the UK as a free give-away with both tickets for Prince's concerts and the "Mail On Sunday" newspaper, a technique Prince used also with his latest album "20Ten". The music was ranging from bubblegum rock to soft rap to more serious rock and R&B. Despite the album having three different single releases, this retro sounding R&B ballad was the definitive highlight, since it managed to become the only charting song from the album by peaking at #39 on R&B and to win a Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, all of this without even being released as a single

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    She's Always In My Hair was one of two b-sides that really should have been a-sides. It's insane that he would hide such a song away (17 Days being the other one).

Love... is a great little track.

And God... is cute.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Why nobody told me that I messed up the "3121" and "Fury" years of release?

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied

..."This is how it's gonna b
    If u wanna b with me
    Take ur tie and think it thru
    If this is what u wanna do
    I ain't really that hard 2 please
    'cause 1+1+1 is 3"...

"The Rainbow Children" was the album where Prince stopped trying to score a hit and just focused on what was at his heart at the time: religion and, specifically, the Jehovah's Witness' narrative. Yes, it's a religious album through and through and that probably explains why it was such a flop on the charts peaking at #109 on the BB 200, #33 on R&B and #4 on Independent Albums. If you can get over the message though, you'll discover a fab album musically, definitely his best since "The Gold Experience". Much more jazzy than anything he did under his own name, this album was for me Prince being back as a great musician and as a controversial figure (albeit for different reasons). Even though the line "There's a theocratic order" is hard to ignore, the deep funk of "1+1+1=3" more than makes up for it and that's why this track is my favourite from the album. And Prince can certainly do mathematics, can't he?

..."Even when there's no peace outside my window
    There's peace inside
    And that's why I can not longer run
    Love... thy will be done"...

Martika was a somehow more sophisticated version of the female teen idols standard which had emerged in the late '80s, mostly known for her 1989 US #1 hit "Toy Soldiers". But as the early '90s proved disastrous for the careers of fellow teen sensations Tiffany and Debbie Gibson, Martika turned to Prince to give her a hand with her material. "Love...Thy Will Be Done" was the first single to be released from her sophomore album and peaked at #10 on the Hot 100, #9 on the UK Singles Chart and #1 in Australia. Like "Nothing Compares 2 U", Prince has sang his own version of this song on tour numerous times. And Martika? She has been successfully recording Latin music the past years.

..."Her eyes are closed but there's no penetration
    He just makes her point the pistol to his nose
    while he masturbates and now I see a tear
    heading down towards her smile "...

This drum-heavy song is the highest entry from an album very few people appreciated. And this of course is 1994's "Come". That album came out in a time of extreme tension between Prince and his label. Prince had already decided to release the best of his material independently without using the name "Prince" while giving Warner enough songs to release a string of albums and thus terminate his contract earlier than expected. That was also the point behind the "1958-1993" inscription on the cover of the album: Prince, the Warner's artist, had died. That meant of course that the album was released with almost no promotion at all, which resulted in peaking at a mere #15 on the BB 200 and #2 on R&B. The album did manage though to become Prince's fifth (and final) #1 album in the UK despite dropping down the charts relatively fast. A common misconception (thanks to the "1958-1993" inscription) is that the album contains older material. In fact the vast majority of the songs were recorded in the exact same sessions which produced "The Gold Experience" songs and were intended for the aborted musical "Glam Ulysses", except of the lovely Orgasm which was recorded in the early '80s (no surprise there).

..."Whenever I feel like givin' up, whenever my sunshine turns to rain
    Whenever my hopes and dreams are aimed in the wrong direction
    She's always there tellin' me how much she cares
    tellin' me she's always in my hair"...

And here is another case of what the hell Prince was thinking releasing this song as a b-side. Well, to be fair, it didn't match the style of his "Around The World In A Day" album much, which is probably why this gem ended as the b-side to the first single from that album ("Raspberry Beret" in the US, "Paisley Park" in the UK) despite being probably better than both of its a-sides. The song apparently refers to Jill Jones, a Prince backing singer and protege. D'Angelo did an interesting cover of the song for the soundtrack of the film "Scream 2"

..."And if I never see u again
    It's alright, for I am guilty of no sin
    They can have you, I'll have your love in the end
    Soul of my soul"...

This is the best ballad in Prince's 1992 "Symbol" album IMO. It is another ode to women and I don't really have anything to say about it, other than "Symbol" was the first Prince album I ever bought and "And God Created Woman" was an early favourite song from that album and remains one until now.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    ^Good find!

Dolphin is good.

Fury was not among my faves on that album.
    Allen song is interesting.

Dirty Mind great, TMBGITW also great.

Leave a comment:

• ShayLaB
    replied
    Not heard Telepathy before...not bad. Will play it again.

I was glad when TMBGITW hit number 1 but I wouldn't rank it among his best.

Dirty Mind, Fury and Dolphin are all fab.

I notice there has been very little from the O(-> album...expecting to see at least three tracks coming up.

A few years ago I came across a site that was entirely devoted to scans of newspaper/magazine articles about Prince stretching way back to the early 80s. It was a really terrific Prince resource but, alas, I seem to have forgotten the URL.

Anybody know the site I am thinking of?

Edit: The one I was thinking of appears to be long gone...however, there was this which seems rather good.

Edit: I see a couple of his early albums being re-released on vinyl next month. Start of a reissues/remasters?

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Actually I don't think this list is bad

45.TELEPATHY (performed by Deborah Allen) (1987)
    album "TELEPATHY"
    You know, until now I always thought it was Debbie Allen, aka Ms. Grant from Fame he worked with LOL. I like the song.

44.THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD (1994)
    album "THE GOLD EXPERIENCE"
    Overrated (sad that its his only UK #1) but at least it proved he didn't need Warner to have a big hit single... although it seemed to be the only big one he had in the 90's after the name change.

43.DIRTY MIND (1980)
    album "DIRTY MIND"
    Love it. So minimalistic yet effective. The leadoff to one of his best albums IMO

42.FURY (2005)
    album "3121"
    Decent track but the album version always came short to the version he performed on SNL shortly before the albums release.

41.DOLPHIN (1995)
    album "THE GOLD EXPERIENCE" (album track)
    A little on the preachy side but always enjoyed it, like pretty much all of The Gold Experience.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied

..."I know your kind like the back of my hand
    You're a hungry wolf in a valley of lambs
    Don't talk, boy I understand
    The heat in this room speaks loud enough"...

It is hard to believe from this single but Deborah Allen is actually a country singer with a string of country hits over the period 1980-1994. She only once crossed over to the pop charts way back in 1983 with "Baby I Lied". In 1987, Deborah released this fab Prince-penned pop single which was too much of a shock for her fanbase to be a hit. It still though constitutes something of a guilty pleasure. Just check out the video

..."And if the stars ever fell one by one from the sky
    I know Mars could not be 2 far behind
    Cuz baby, this kind of beauty has got no reason 2 ever be shy
    Cuz baby, this kind of beauty is the kind that comes from inside"...

I know NothingFails dislikes this song but I absolutely adore it. This was technically the first single released from "The Gold Experience" although, in reality, the Prince album which was released shortly after this single was "Come" (which didn't include "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World") and "The Gold Experience" which did include it (in an improved more "live"-sounding version) came out about a year later. Confusing? Well the fact that most songs for both albums were recorded in the same sessions may provide some explanation for that anomaly, Prince's rocky relations at the time with his label Warner may provide another. Whatever the cause, the single (essentially an ode to love and female beauty) was a huge success becoming the only Prince-performed single to top the UK Singles Chart (he had another two #1s with songs he composed but did not perform) and peaking at #3 on the BB Hot 100 and #2 on R&B. Also an E.P. of remixes called "The Beautiful Experience" charted separately at #18 on the UK Singles Chart. Prince's then-wife Mayte has recorded her own versions of the song, including one called "The Most Beautiful Boy In The World".

..."It doesn't matter I just wanna lay ya down
    In my daddy's car
    It's you I really wanna drive
    but you never go too far "...

This party anthem is the second single taken from Prince's third studio album of the same name. Although it wasn't much of a success (#65 on Soul and #5 on Dance (as an E.P. including also "Uptown" and "Head"), it is a very typical example of Prince's synth sound at the time and also of his transition from his more R&B 70s sound to the more funky 80s sound which would eventually turn him into a superstar. The early '80s was also the time when Prince became a much-talked-about underground sensation and the performances of this single can easily explain why.

..."2 sides in every story
    One man's gloom, another man's glory
    Sun 2 his shadow, rose 2 a thorn
    Ain't no fury like a woman scorned"...

This fab rock banger was the third release from Prince's album "3121" and peaked at #60 on the UK Singles Chart. It is also my favourite song from that album, I just adore its retro rock sound. The "3121" album itself was a huge success for Prince back in 2006. Building on the already positive environment created by his previous album, "Musicology", the album debuted at #1 on the BB200 becoming the first Prince album to reach the top of the main chart in 16 years' time. It also topped the R&B Albums Chart and peaked at #9 on the UK Albums Chart. The title of the album refers to a verse out of the Bible (Psalms 31:21) which reads: "Blessed by Jehovah". An alternative more down-to-earth explanation however is that it just refers to his Los Angeles mansion, for which Prince received a lawsuit for painting the numbers "3121" on its exterior.

..."If I came back as a dolphin
    would u listen 2 me then?
    would u let me be your friend?
    would u let me in?"...

Another rock song (albeit softer than "Fury") is the highest ranking song from "The Gold Experience" album. This one was originally intended to be released as part of a live album called "The Undertaker" but, as usual, Warner's objections led to the release of that project as a music video only (which is still not available on DVD, thank you Warner) and the inclusion of "Dolphin" in the 1995 "Gold Experience" album. The album itself is considered Prince's best moment of the '90s and I agree (although I would consider it a tie with both "Symbol" and "Come"). The album peaked at #6 on the BB200, #2 on R&B and #4 on the UK Albums Chart, chart heights Prince wouldn't see again with a studio album until "Musicology" almost a decade later

Leave a comment:

• ShayLaB
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingFails
    Originally posted by ShayLaB
    Every one a winner this time. I'd probably place the two PR tracks lower than the others.

Seeing Paisley Park here reminds me of the way the album was released. No promotion, no lead single and a cover that did it's best to disguise who made the album.
    The whole situation with that album is a major factor in why I respect him so much. He followed one of the biggest sellers of the decade barely 10 months later with an entirely different sound and look, and with an album that Prince knew would separate the Purple Rain bandwagoners from the people who are really interested in seeing Prince's maturation artistically. Most artists would take a long break afforded to them after Purple Rain.
    It's a comparison we have made before but he was to the 80's what Bowie was to the 70's...a niche artist that, on occasion, sold an awful lot of records.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Lol you're all so excited with these 5 songs (can't blame you they're great) you're bound to get a dissapointment with the next bunch, especially NothingFails (as far as I understand what he likes lol).

And yes, although ATWIAD is the weakest album he did 1979-1987 in my book, it shows the reason why I love him. He does care about the charts obviously, but not enough to stop him doing what he wants to do. I believe Prince is at heart a non-commercial act who had a lot of huge hits rather than a commercial act who stopped being commercial at some point. That's why I love him

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Originally posted by ShayLaB
    Every one a winner this time. I'd probably place the two PR tracks lower than the others.

Seeing Paisley Park here reminds me of the way the album was released. No promotion, no lead single and a cover that did it's best to disguise who made the album.
    The whole situation with that album is a major factor in why I respect him so much. He followed one of the biggest sellers of the decade barely 10 months later with an entirely different sound and look, and with an album that Prince knew would separate the Purple Rain bandwagoners from the people who are really interested in seeing Prince's maturation artistically. Most artists would take a long break afforded to them after Purple Rain.

Leave a comment:

• ShayLaB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    I had no idea about this either... thanks

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Didn't know about this:

At the 2008 Coachella Music Festival, Prince performed a cover of Radiohead's "Creep", but immediately after he forced YouTube and other sites to remove footage that fans had taken of the performance, despite Radiohead's demand for it to remain on the website.[135] Days later, YouTube reinstated the videos, while Radiohead claimed "it's our song, let people hear it." In 2009, Prince put the video of that Coachella performance on his then-official website LotusFlow3r.com.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-goL5UuXAo4

Sorry it has nothing to do with the chart but seeing as this is the place Prince fans are hanging out at...

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    NOW you're talking! 5 absolute classics! I love the album version of Hot Thing, though. :-?

Mountains is one of his most underachieving singles - how that sold far less than Paisley Park is bizarre (indeed, Pop Life is better than PP but i suspect PL was under-promoted in UK.)

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    Great selection of singles that outside of "I Would Die 4 U" generally don't get much recurrent airplay on radio.

50.PAISLEY PARK (with The Revolution) (1985)
    album "AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAY"
    A lot of people say ATWIAD is very Beatle-oriented, but honestly it's really this song that gives it those comparisons. Great track that somehow wasn't a US release (we went straight for Raspberry Beret)

49.TAKE ME WITH U (with Apollonia & The Revolution) (1985)
    album "PURPLE RAIN"
    The least successful Purple Rain single in the US (but I think it has to do that the album had already moved 9-10 million by the time the single had hit so most who would've bought the single had the album already) but a great track. Prince and Apples' voices blended well together.

48.HOT THING (1987)
    album "SIGN O' THE TIMES" (album track)
    Such a stripper anthem LOL. Fun track that as radio proved was too good to *just* be a b-side

47.I WOULD DIE 4 U (with The Revolution) (1984)
    album "PURPLE RAIN"
    I remember when I first heard this song as a kid thinking he was singing "Apple Dapple You". A short, sweet spiritual song with a fantastic synth-line.

46.MOUNTAINS (with The Revolution) (1986)
    album "PARADE"
    Great beat to this one. Too bad it performed so poorly as the followup to "Kiss" which I think has been overplayed over the years. I too love Under The Cherry Moon. We saw a side to Prince in that film that we rarely see and it was an amusing film just to see him so far out of his normal element.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied

..."See the man cry as the city condemns where he lives
    Memories die but taxes he'll still have 2 give
    Whoever said that elephants were stronger than mules
    Come 2 the Park and play with us
    There aren't any rules in Paisley Park"...

This was the first UK single taken from "Around The World In A Day", Prince's follow-up to his extraordinarily successful "Purple Rain" project. Unlike Michael Jackson, Prince didn't wait long before following up that project, nor did he try to repeat the formula. Instead he chose to come back with an album which couldn't sound any more different than "Purple Rain". And this single is the most obvious example of that. It did constitute a shock to the public though, which probably explains why this fabulous Beatles-esque single stalled at #18 on the UK Singles Chart and was never released in the States.

..."I can't disguise the pounding of my heart
    It beats so strong
    It's in your eyes, what can I say
    They turn me on"...

Purple Rain time... This song proves that a simple catchy melody is enough to create a classic single. The song was the fifth and final single taken from the "Purple Rain" soundtrack and peaked at #25 on the Hot 100 and #40 on R&B (it was a pop rather than an R&B single). It also peaked at #7 on the UK Singles Chart as a double a-side with "Let's Go Crazy" (to which it bears a resemblance tbh). The song was originally considered for Apollonia 6's album but it ended up on the "Purple Rain" soundtrack instead, with Apollonia Kotero providing half the vocals. It remains the big sing-a-long song in Prince's concerts and I much prefer it to the overrated "Let's Go Crazy"

..."Hot Thing-barely 21
    Hot Thing-lookin' 4 Big Fun
    Hot Thing-what's your fantasy?
    Hot Thing-do U wanna play with me? "...

This song did not sound as anything special in its "Sign O' The Times" album version. However it was chosen as the b-side to the fourth and final single from that album ("I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man") and, interestingly, it was this song which got the extensive remix treatment rather than the a-side. Its extended remix in particular brought the song to life and led to it charting without even being a proper single. It climbed to #63 on the Hot 100 and #14 on R&B. It also provided one of the most memorable performances in Prince's 1987 concert film "Sign O' The Times".

..."I'm not a woman, I'm not a man
    I am something that you'll never understand
    I'll never beat u, I'll never lie
    And if you're evil I'll forgive u by and by"...

To me this is the big ballad of "Purple Rain" instead of the overplayed title track (even though it doesn't quite sound like a ballad in the concert performance used as the video to the song). This song is squarely placed in the '80s musically considering its electronic effects, its concert-like delivery, its lyrics, its mid-song breakdown. It was released as the fourth single from the "Purple Rain" soundtrack peaking at #8 on the Hot 100, #11 on R&B and even #50 on Dance/Club Play. It has been covered by Space Cowboy, Raheem DeVaughn and Bloc Party among others.

..."Once upon a time in a haystack of despair
    Happiness is sometimes hard 2 find there
    Africa divided, hijack in the air
    It's enough 2 make U wanna lose your mind"...

In 1986 Prince decided to do a second movie following the success of the "Purple Rain" movie two years earlier. But, as with the "Around The World In A Day" album, the movie couldn't be any more different than its predecessor. Shot entirely in black-and-white and keeping all but two of the songs as background music, "Under The Cherry Moon" (directed by Prince and starring Prince, Jerome Benton of The Time and Kristin Scott Thomas), received negative reviews and flopped at the box-office peaking at a mere #11 on the Box-Office Weekend Chart. Still though, the movie had an extremely good soundtrack (released under the name "Parade") which made it to #3 on both US and UK Albums Chart and #2 on R&B and won Prince a Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo or A Group with Vocals for the song "Kiss". As I said before, just two songs were feautured in their entirety in the film, one was "Girls And Boys" and the other was this single, whose video plays over the end credits of the movie. "Mountains" was the second single taken from the soundtrack, peaking at #23 on the Hot 100, #15 on R&B and #11 on Dance/Club Play. Oh, and despite the film being a multiple Raspberry Awards winner (Worst Picture, Worst Director (Prince), Worst Actor (Prince), Worst Supporting Actor (Jerome) and Worst Original Song ("Love or Money" which interestingly is not included in the soundtrack), it is really not that bad, I love it.

Leave a comment:

• NothingFails
    replied
    55.THE STICK (performed by The Time) (1981)
    album "THE TIME" (album track)
    Not bad

54.MUSICOLOGY (2004)
    album "MUSICOLOGY"
    It's ok but a song that works much better in a concert setting (he did a 10 min version of it and mixed it with Play That Funky Music when I saw him) than on album. On album its rather monotone

53.FEEL U UP (1989)
    from "PARTYMAN" single (b-side)
    Agreed that its better than its A-side and one of the best tracks from the 1989 era

52.DEAR MR. MAN (2004)
    album "MUSICOLOGY" (album track)
    Nice lyrics

51.ANOTHERLOVERHOLENYOHEAD (with The Revolution) (1986)
    album "PARADE"
    Great single that should've done better

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    I like 53 and 51.

Leave a comment:

• ShayLaB
    replied
    Originally posted by jio
    THE STICK written by Prince and Lisa Coleman
    Given the lyrics I hope he just wrote the music