Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [2-1!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that album at all, though it does have some great moments. Is it your favourite RiRi album?
    Yes TTT and Loud. Loud is at #04 of my favourite Albums from 2010-2019 (01. 21, 02. Starboy and 03. 25, 05. Nothing But The Beat) Also Sia is in the Top-10
    Personal Chart

Comment

Love On The Brain and Starboy are two masterpieces of the later decade
      Personal Chart

Comment

Oh look! I'm back!
        • So That's What I Like and I Like That back to back - haha - Janelle did it better, lol. That's What I Like is one of my least favorite just because that chorus has no punch to it to me - there's no payoff in the title line, so it's kind of an anticlimax for me. Still perched for what he releases next. My favorite male artist of the decade.
        • Huge Kacey fan, as you know, so I'm pleased with High Horse stepping up - it sounded so far from what a country song is, but she retains just enough twang and sass that she somehow makes that work.
        • Interesting write up for the transition in 2015 on the 1D song because that's about the time I probably switched to streaming. I think there was a period where I was using youtube to mp3 converters and it may have been around then. I also had a phase where I was using soundcloud, but couldn't find a lot of what I wanted.
        • Was dreading where Formation would land. I still think it's an incredible song - and one of the great political releases of the decade.
        • Big Sean is hot and I am jealous Ari got a go at that. That is all.
        • thank u next was a bop, but have to say the album from whence it came was underwhelming to me compared to Sweetener - I know most people feel the opposite, but thank u next is really the only song form that album I return to.
        • OMG I still LOVE Forget You with every fiber of my being - You see, he's an Xbox. I'm more Atari. LOL I just love the impotent sass of this song. It came -thisclose- to being my #1 for that year.
        • Love on the Brain might be my favorite thing RiRi has done, which is saying a lot considering her dozens of songs. It was old school and classy yet daring and raw. Glad it made your list. It's strange that this made me STAN SO HARD for her after years of just enjoying her music, and she basically disappeared to do cosmetics after its success. Bitter af.
        • Starboy was incredible - I think I might have to put The Weeknd as my 2nd favorite after Bruno for the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixx View Post
          Yes TTT and Loud. Loud is at #04 of my favourite Albums from 2010-2019 (01. 21, 02. Starboy and 03. 25, 05. Nothing But The Beat) Also Sia is in the Top-10
          Glad you also love Loud! That one will fare much better here.

Love On The Brain and Starboy are two masterpieces of the later decade
          Glad you appreciate those two!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
          Oh look! I'm back!
          Welcome back!

So That's What I Like and I Like That back to back - haha - Janelle did it better, lol. That's What I Like is one of my least favorite just because that chorus has no punch to it to me - there's no payoff in the title line, so it's kind of an anticlimax for me. Still perched for what he releases next. My favorite male artist of the decade.
          "That's What I Like" has a volleying kind of chorus that I like. Bruno's great at selling most songs to me, though, and while that's a result to be revealed for a forthcoming countdown, Bruno is most certainly among the finest male acts of the decade for me (granted, the bar's pretty low these days, even more so than usual).

Huge Kacey fan, as you know, so I'm pleased with High Horse stepping up - it sounded so far from what a country song is, but she retains just enough twang and sass that she somehow makes that work.
          It really had all the ingredients to be a massive hit. It's been so disappointing to see genuinely great music flounder on the charts, and I do blame streaming for a lot of that.

Interesting write up for the transition in 2015 on the 1D song because that's about the time I probably switched to streaming. I think there was a period where I was using youtube to mp3 converters and it may have been around then. I also had a phase where I was using soundcloud, but couldn't find a lot of what I wanted.
          I used to do that, too!

Was dreading where Formation would land. I still think it's an incredible song - and one of the great political releases of the decade.
          There's actually a more polarising Bey lead single still to come.

Big Sean is hot and I am jealous Ari got a go at that. That is all.
          He's quite hot indeed, and very much 'my type' - I just realised the other day that I kinda have a type after all.

thank u next was a bop, but have to say the album from whence it came was underwhelming to me compared to Sweetener - I know most people feel the opposite, but thank u next is really the only song form that album I return to.
          Yeah, insert strong disagreement emoji here! Were it not for those three singles from Sweetener - two in particular!!! - the album would've been a listless listen.

OMG I still LOVE Forget You with every fiber of my being - You see, he's an Xbox. I'm more Atari. LOL I just love the impotent sass of this song. It came -thisclose- to being my #1 for that year.
          Yay, glad you like that one! I wasn't sure many people would care that much for it, but I always did.

Love on the Brain might be my favorite thing RiRi has done, which is saying a lot considering her dozens of songs. It was old school and classy yet daring and raw. Glad it made your list. It's strange that this made me STAN SO HARD for her after years of just enjoying her music, and she basically disappeared to do cosmetics after its success. Bitter af.
          It's so funny you say this after I griped in my write-up about everyone else loving "Love on the Brain" (and Anti) more than me.

I guess my criticism with "Love on the Brain" is that RiRi is the kind of artist who, when she does a song, most times I leave it feeling strongly that no one could have done it better. She has a distinctive voice that just works on the right song and I've always felt "Love on the Brain" could've been sung by anyone else and better by quite a few. For instance, Bey probably would have done a better job with it. I'm aware that I'm being inconsistent/somewhat of a hypocrite in believing that, considering a copy/paste Sia song sung by RiRi is a contender to win.

Starboy was incredible - I think I might have to put The Weeknd as my 2nd favorite after Bruno for the decade.
          The Weeknd would probably rank similarly for me!
          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

275. Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop

So la-da-di-da-di, we like to party...
            We run things, things don't run we

A fun party pop song, with some heavy R&B influences, "We Can't Stop" was one of the songs of the 2013 summer. I think this has held up ridiculously well as it sounds just as good now as it did seven years ago (possibly even a bit better). Apparently, this was written with Rihanna in mind, but the quoted bits have some teeny-bopper charms that I think were more in the ex-Disney starlet's wheelhouse. I'm happy she ended up with it.
            Code:
            Significance Rating: 1/20
            Year Released: 2013
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(1)
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 152
            274. Beyoncé - Love Drought

'Cause you, you, you, you and me could move a mountain
            You, you, you, you and me could calm a war down
            You, you, you, you and me could make it rain now
            You, you, you, you and me could stop this love drought

It was dicey selecting the chorus as my favourite lyric in this track because the verses are just so strong! That "Ten times out of nine I know you're lying" line is everything! There are obvious cracks in the relationship illustrated in "Love Drought", but there's enough commitment to tape them and keep on pushing. The whole song is lifted by this exquisite atmospheric production, but the barometric pressure reaches its maximum level at the point of the chorus, and I love the way Bey repeats "you" throughout each line in the chorus. She does add "and me" at the backends eventually, but that's a not-so-slight accusation that the onus for the cracks rests more with the other party than it does with the track's protagonist. It took a while for this song to really click with me, but the conversational nuances, therapeutic melody, and understated but powerful vocal performance won me over in the end.
            Code:
            Year Released: 2016
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 54
            273. Ariana Grande - Honeymoon Avenue

Hey, what happened to the butterflies?
            Guess they encountered that stop sign
            And my heart is at a yellow light, a yellow light
            Hey, right when I think that we've found it
            Well, that's when we start turning around
            You're saying, "Baby, don't worry"
            But we're still going the wrong way

Classy, sophisticated, emotional verses that lead to a bouncy, mid-tempo chorus that retains all the passion expressed early on, "Honeymoon Avenue" was a warning sign - a red light, the song's writers might say - of the greatness of which Ari was capable. At more than five and a half minutes long, this is a fully fleshed out ballad, adorned with strong instrumentation, impressively consistent adherence to the traveling metaphor throughout, strong lyrics, and the most mature vocal from 'Yours Truly'.
            Code:
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(3)
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 66
            272. Sia - Bird Set Free

Clipped wings, I was a broken thing
            Had a voice, had a voice but I could not sing
            You'd worn me down
            I struggled on the ground
            So lost, the line had been crossed
            Had a voice, had a voice but I could not talk
            You held me down
            I struggle to fly now

Christina Aguilera has a track on her 'Lotus' LP, "Sing for Me", that's quite akin in theme, vocal, and production to Sia's own "Bird Set Free". The two tracks are so similar that I had to check to see if Sia'd had a hand in writing "Sing for Me" and "Bird Set Free" was a lazy retread. Apparently, she didn't, but the songs are still twins in my eyes, though I may have done a cruel act in separating this one from the other. Sia's crafted for herself a signature sound and "Bird Set Free" is very much in line with that. She's a hook-heavy hitter, I like to say, where the verses are very much supporting cast members to the main feature, a big, soaring, roaring chorus, raw with passion and Sia's reliable, character-adding 'scratchiness'.
            Code:
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #2
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 64
            271. Jordin Sparks - Silhouette

There's no space between us
            Tonight we'll be seamless
            Painting perfect pictures of what's going on in this bed
            Insatiable shadows revealed by the candles
            You and me and our silhouette
            Silhouette, silhouette, silhouette, silhouette, silhouette

We're almost one-third of the way through this countdown so it was about time that my first love and user namesake finally popped up, and here she is, a much maturer specimen than the 17-year-old that belted her way to becoming American Idol's youngest-ever champ. Six years bridged the gap between 'Battlefield' and the parent LP that houses "Silhouette" as Jo-Speezy faced innumerable record label issues and release delays - she'd always been predicted to have a rough time selling, even before she won the title - but 'Right Here, Right Now' finally came out in 2015, and this was its clear standout. Sexy R&B music was a far cry from the PG-7 work that characterised her first two albums, but "Silhouette" is sensual and classy, a gorgeous vocal performance showcasing the range of Jordin's voice, from soft, AMSR-esque whispers to powerful runs, coloured by that rainbow gloss of a tone that never ceases to amaze me. "Silhouette" answered a lot of fans' pleas for her to go full R&B and she certainly satisfied them with "Silhouette". In a fairer world, this would've been a massive hit.
            Code:
            Year Released: 2015
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 78

Comment

270. Mariah Carey - The Art of Letting Go

Evidently your words were merely lies
              Reverberating in my ears
              And the echo won’t subside
              There’s deep, deep loss of hope
              And the anger burns in me
              I hope you don’t get no ideas ’bout reuniting, baby
              ‘Cause that’s the last thing I truly need
              Your audacity is too much to be believed, so
              Go to "Mimi" on your contacts, press delete

Back in the fall of 2013, when I was in charge of reviews for the site, "The Art of Letting Go" was released and I gave it a tepid three out of five stars. My review didn't hold back: I called the first half of the track "unbearably slow", I said there were "potholes with the lyricism and shoddy phrasing"; I even called the "Press delete" lyric "cringe-worthy". And I don't feel differently about those criticisms now; I just connect so much with the lyrics and the emotion on this track that I no longer care about its flaws. What Mimi captures here is the frustration, disappointment, and sense of loss and betrayal that comes with a break-up, and the soaring climax at the end is worth all the bumps along the way. Come through, vocal layering, for the win!
              Code:
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(2)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 162
              269. Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite

It's the truth, it's a fact
              I was gone and now I'm back, yeah

I like to describe myself as a "stubborn optimist", but that doesn't mean the optimism doesn't waver; it just means that it never goes away...in is entirety. The quoted lyric above is a basically my anthem for whenever I'm able to bounce back from a setback, overcome a hurdle or challenge that had me feeling down, or even return to the hot half of my hot/cold relationship with love. I guess, much like Aphrodite, I can be wounded but will not go down without a fight. I've got resilience aplenty!
              Code:
              Year Released: 2010
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 74
              268. Emeli Sandé - My Kind of Love

'Cause when you've given up
              When no matter what you do, it's never good enough
              When you never thought that it could ever get this tough
              That''s when you feel my kind of love
              And when you're crying out
              When you've fallen and can't pick your happy off the ground
              When the friends you thought you had haven't stuck around
              That's when you feel my kind of love

The year was 2012. Adele had already set fire to the charts, my faves, the record books, our collective hearts and souls the prior year, and Emeli said, "Up for a round two?" Soul-pop with impassioned lyrics, "My Kind of Love" is a beautiful ballad of devotion. It's got those classic orchestral swells and richness.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2012
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 60
              267. Taylor Swift - Speak Now

I am not the kind of girl
              Who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion

At 15, with all the naiveté that accompanies early teenage-hood, the idea of crashing a wedding in the name of love seemed noble and righteous; at 24, I think it's a rather thoughtless and selfish move. Still, the idea that love prevails over everything - even social graces - is one that I still endorse now (within reason) and that single cover is still one of the best pieces of artwork in 2010s music. We really should have gotten a video for this - it was too good to be 'just' a promotional single.
              Code:
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 53
              266. G.R.L. - Ugly Heart

Okay, you're pretty, your face is a work of art
              Your smile could light up New York City after dark
              Okay, you're Cover Boy pretty, stamped with a beauty mark
              But it's such a pity, a boy so pretty
              With an ugly heart

This song literally describes my dating experience the last eight months. So many handsome and fit, seemingly intelligent and eligible bachelors, that are just one-track-minded, arrogant, elitist, dismissive pieces of crap. Kindness and decency reign supreme and this song endorses that notion. I love the concession made at the top of the chorus, punctuated by that scathing conclusion in the final line. The production on this is so vibrant, the vocals are strong - it's just a great pop song that indicated so much potential from this group.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2014
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 91

Comment

I adore 'Ugly Heart', the chorus is infectious and the lyrics are great!
                My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                  I adore 'Ugly Heart', the chorus is infectious and the lyrics are great!
                  Agreed! And I think it was actually you who introduced it to me!

Comment

265. Beyoncé - Don't Hurt Yourself (feat. Jack White)

Who the f**k do you think I is?
                    You ain't married to no average bitch, boy
                    You can watch my fat ass twist, boy
                    As I bounce to the next d**k, boy
                    And keep your money, I got my own
                    Keep a bigger smile on my face being alone
                    Bad motherf**ker, God complex
                    Motivate your ass, call me Malcolm X
                    Yo operator, or innovator
                    F**k you hater, you can't recreate her, no, nuh-uh
                    You'll never recreate her no, hell no

There's a lot that shook me about 'Lemonade', and Beyoncé recording the first authentic rock song of her career, after having given some rock-esque live performances of some of her R&B/pop tracks throughout the years and having several bops with rock influences, was definitely a stunner. The live Homecoming version of this is my favourite. The passion and anger really come alive best through that version (I really do believe that she's "the dragon breathing fire"), and I love the Malcolm X inclusion ("The most disrespected person in America is the Black woman. The most unprotected person in America is the Black woman. The most neglected person in America is the Black woman"). I'll never forget watching the visual for 'Lemonade' and thinking this was really her saying she was going to divorce Jay-Z.
                    Code:
                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 52
                    264. Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed

For those who don't know me, I can get a bit crazy
                    Have to get my way, yep
                    24 hours a day, 'cause I'm hot like that
                    Every guy, everywhere just gives me mad attention
                    Like I'm under inspection
                    I always gets a ten, 'cause I'm built like that

"Can't Be Tamed" created another moment that shook me, but this time it wasn't the song itself at all, but the ridiculous reaction from the media that the video was too sexualised. I remember watching the news and hearing parents saying the video ought to have been banned for its level of procativeness. I can only imagine what the same folks thought three years later during Cyrus's 'Bangerz' era. At any rate, 14-year-old me loved the rebellious lyrics, the 'Avis Cyrus' get-up in the video, the catchy melody. It was the start of one of the most under-heralded pop eras of the 2010s for me.
                    Code:
                    Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(4)
                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 46
                    263. Beyoncé - Rise Up

Be who you are
                    Be who you are

I accept that I'm part of a minority within a minority that believes this to be a good song. It's a rather plain ballad by Beyoncé's standards and the title itself is a redundant grammatical headache (you can't exactly "rise down", can you?) but the sweeping melody that accompanies Beyoncé's "Be who you are!" command does a lot for me. It's a lovely empowerment anthem, simple and frills-free, but uplifting all the same.
                    Code:
                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 214
                    262. Bastille - Pompeii

But if you close your eyes
                    Does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?
                    And if you close your eyes
                    Does it almost feel like you've been here before?
                    How am I going to be an optimist about this?
                    How am I going to be an optimist about this?

"Pompeii" is an easy song to love. It's got those catchy "Eh, eheu, eheu" chants, it's well-written, it's got a pleasant backing melody and good vocals. I love songs that bring lovers of different genres together at the table for the feast, and "Pompeii" certainly did that with pop, rock, and indie fanatics.
                    Code:
                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 91
                    261. Coldplay - Princess of China (feat. Rihanna)

'Cause you really hurt me
                    No, you really hurt me

This is the third track in this batch that I remember making a big media splash when it premiered, this time because it was the first instance of Coldplay collaborating with another artist and some snobbish indie/rock fans were in their feelings that the act in question was Rihanna. Unsurprisingly, though, Rihanna excelled. On the vocal front, she expertly captured the intense emotion outlined in the lyrics, and in the video, she channelled every iota of ethereal goddess.
                    Code:
                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 108

Comment

260. P!nk - F**kin' Perfect

You're so mean
                      When you talk
                      About yourself, you were wrong
                      Change the voices in your head
                      Make them like you instead
                      So complicated, look happy, you'll make it
                      Filled with so much hatred, such a tired game
                      It's enough, I've done all I can think of
                      Chased down all my demons, I've seen you do the same, oh

I vividly remember the fall of 2010 when the American media broke news of several young gay men in the US committing suicide within a shockingly short space of time as a result of bullying and harassment, and in what felt very much like a response, a number of female pop stars released songs and music videos with uplifting messages and inclusive imagery. There's a song P!nk released during that period that I like even more than "F**kin' Perfect" - that one will be much higher - but this one certainly had an impact on me. P!nk brings a raw, honest energy to even the most glittery of pop songs, and I love the grit that accompanies the encouragement here.
                      Code:
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 62
                      259. Paramore - The Only Exception

When I was younger I saw my daddy cry
                      And curse at the wind
                      He broke his own heart and I watched
                      As he tried to reassemble it
                      And my mama swore that she would
                      Never let herself forget
                      And that was the day that I promised
                      I'd never sing of love if it does not exist

Well, this one certainly opens the floodgates, and from the very first verse, too. Paramore were known early on for their big, brash power rock stadium anthems, but this tender drawl of a ballad is actually my top track from the band. It's so romantic and sweet - a classic tale of having well-placed mistrust in the notion of love and finding someone that challenges those tainted views, and helps you tear down the barriers you built up so you can love freely and completely. The guitar chords on this are golden.
                      Code:
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 42
                      258. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry

Right now, I'm in a state of mind
                      I wanna be in like all the time
                      Ain't got no tears left to cry
                      So I'm pickin' it up, pickin' it up (Oh yeah)
                      I'm lovin', I'm livin', I'm pickin' it up

I'm a pop fan through and through so I was a bit bewildered by how taken so many other folks were with this, and struggled to reconcile their passion with my rather lukewarm feelings towards it. What was it that they were hearing that I failed to hear? Well, I think it came down to me just not being in the place to really get behind a song like this in 2018. It's got this fresh lease on life, the protagonist is fully energised, in a state of peace following a series of deeply traumatic events, and revelling in the beauty of life that she can appreciate on a deeper level having seen some of the worst sides of life. It's such a personal song to Ari and I think in 2019, when I was in a space to relate to the message, it finally clicked (interestingly enough, the song first hit #1 on my daily chart February 1, 2019, almost a full year following its 2018 release). I think this is probably a song a lot of people will play when the Coronavirus-related restrictions on our lives lift. We take so many blessings for granted and this song really encourages you to soak in them, luxuriate in love, and embrace all the goodness we can find. I think its message is its biggest selling point, rather than the vocals or production, which is a bit weird for a pop song.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2018
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 220
                      257. Nicki Minaj - Moment 4 Life (feat. Drake)

Put it on everything, that I will retire with the ring
                      And I will retire with the crown, - yes!
                      No, I'm not lucky, I'm blessed, - yes!
                      Clap for the heavyweight champ - me!
                      But I couldn't do it all alone - we!
                      Young Money raised me, grew up out in Baisley
                      Southside Jamaica, Queens and it's crazy
                      'Cause I'm still hood, Hollywood couldn't change me
                      Shout out to my haters, sorry that you couldn't faze me
                      Ain't being cocky, we just vindicated
                      Best believe that when we're done, this moment will be syndicated
                      I don't know, this night just reminds me of
                      Everything they deprived me of (Kyuh!)
                      P-p-p-p-put ya drinks up!
                      It's a celebration, every time we link up
                      We done did everything, they can think of
                      Greatness, is what we on the brink of

From one song that encourages living in the moment to another, "Moment 4 Life" is the first of many appearances from my preferred procurer of bars. It has its glittery pop moments, which is probably what makes it my mother's favourite Nicki Minaj song, but I love the confidence Onika exudes on this track. It's a rather ambitious claim to include on your major-label debut effort that you "will retire with the crown", but a decade removed from that prognostication and we see that outcome as all but finalised at this point. Her then-Young Money labelmate Drake does a good job as the featured act on this track, but as Onika's done throughout her career, the spotlight remains firmly on her throughout as she takes in her triumphant moment, flush with the pride of overcoming the innumerable obstacles that littered her path. The vocal layering that the producers do at the end of each line in the chorus is a really cool touch.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2011
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 47
                      256. Miley Cyrus - Two More Lonely People

I don't want the pictures, I don't want your sympathy
                      We don't have to be friends, we don't have to be enemies
                      In my head, I break it down and I'm absolutely sure
                      That you and I could work it out
                      Or we could kill the lights on what we had before

On a scale of one to 10 of relevancy in my life, this song is an easy 10! The petty squabbles that lay waste to some pretty special friendships and relationships never cease to amaze me, and it's disappointing that in my life those damaged some solid connections beyond repair. This, my top 'Can't Be Tamed' track, takes an accurate snapshot of the situation - two stubborn, lonely people letting pride be the wall that separates them from peace and affection. Why this wasn't a multi-week global chart-topper is beyond me.
                      Code:
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 76

Comment

Wow, that 275-263 was quite dire for me. I either didn't know or like that set. I am all for them being ranked so low.

But I love almost all the songs from 262 on! Pompeii was an incredible breakout for Bastille, enough that I've still kind of checked in on them from time to time.

Coldplay was THE band of the decade for me, and the unity with RiRi was celestial - probably one of my five favorites from them. I would have never thought that was a pairing that could ever work. In retrospect, that was foolish of me because Rihanna is an incredible chameleon - it's the reason I think she managed to stay current the entire time she used to record.

Pink was part of one of my favorite running playlists of all time. All complimentary songs from my friends. My girl Katy was telling me what a Firework I was, and Stefani would tell me how I was Born This Way and that was just dandy, but Pink is clearly my bff who thought I was Perfect! Haha!

I miss Paramore and it's a void that needs to be filled because we just don't have many acts like this where a girl fronts a rock band.

I'm glad No Tears finally clicked for you. It deserved to do better but came against the Dark Star that was Janelle Monae in 2018. Even though it did well, it did take some time to click for me too and maybe for a kind of similar reason, but I really love the song now.

Ah, Nicki was killing it at the beginning of the decade. Ugh, I really loved her and this was on blast.

Comment

Wow, that 275-263 was quite dire for me. I either didn't know or like that set. I am all for them being ranked so low.
                          You don't like "Bird Set Free"?

But I love almost all the songs from 262 on! Pompeii was an incredible breakout for Bastille, enough that I've still kind of checked in on them from time to time.
                          Yeah, I'm pretty similar. When I see Bastille's got a new song out, I normally give it a listen due mainly to my "Pompeii" love.

Coldplay was THE band of the decade for me, and the unity with RiRi was celestial - probably one of my five favorites from them. I would have never thought that was a pairing that could ever work. In retrospect, that was foolish of me because Rihanna is an incredible chameleon - it's the reason I think she managed to stay current the entire time she used to record.
                          The bolded bit is shade - warranted shade, but shade nonetheless. I do love that quality about RiRi's voice, too.

Pink was part of one of my favorite running playlists of all time. All complimentary songs from my friends. My girl Katy was telling me what a Firework I was, and Stefani would tell me how I was Born This Way and that was just dandy, but Pink is clearly my bff who thought I was Perfect! Haha!
                          Cute! Running was actually my favourite physical activity in my younger days.

I miss Paramore and it's a void that needs to be filled because we just don't have many acts like this where a girl fronts a rock band.
                          Indeed. I guess you have Florence, if you consider any parts of the '+ the Machine' bit to be rock, and I know Tansike stans a few metal rock bands that have female leads, but like a lot of things, rock is male-dominated.

I'm glad No Tears finally clicked for you. It deserved to do better but came against the Dark Star that was Janelle Monae in 2018. Even though it did well, it did take some time to click for me too and maybe for a kind of similar reason, but I really love the song now.
                          Glad we both came 'round to "No Tears...".

Ah, Nicki was killing it at the beginning of the decade. Ugh, I really loved her and this was on blast.
                          Yeah, Nicki had an insane 2010! It may seem like a ridiculous statement to make, but I think she cranked out more quality verses (including features) in that year than 99% of emcees do in their lifetime. It was a killer freshman year for her!

Comment

Princess Of China, Moment 4 Life and No Tears Left To Cry are my favourites since my last update. I loved M4L before I signed in here. POC was one of my favourite Songs for a long time and I still love this Song. NTLTC is now one of my 5 favourite Songs of 2018 - I everytime get flashbacks of this Summer
                            Personal Chart

Comment

My favourite Paramore song there, and a decent Pink one. I think I need to re-listen to Miley's CBT era but Two More Lonely People was always a highlight for me.

Comment

Princess Of China, Moment 4 Life and No Tears Left To Cry are my favourites since my last update. I loved M4L before I signed in here. POC was one of my favourite Songs for a long time and I still love this Song. NTLTC is now one of my 5 favourite Songs of 2018 - I everytime get flashbacks of this Summer
                                Glad you like those three!

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                My favourite Paramore song there, and a decent Pink one. I think I need to re-listen to Miley's CBT era but Two More Lonely People was always a highlight for me.
                                That's my Paramore fave, too!

Comment

255. Lauren Alaina - Like My Mother Does

When I love
                                  I give it all I've got
                                  Like my mother does
                                  And when I'm scared
                                  I bow my head and pray
                                  Like my mother does
                                  When I'm weak and unpretty
                                  I know I'm beautiful and strong
                                  Because I see myself
                                  Like my mother does

I'm a big American Idol fan. The series had a massive influence on my music taste, and I was an avid viewer for the show's first 10 seasons. Lauren Alaina was actually S10's runner-up, and this was her would-be coronation song, a perfect fit for the then-doe-eyed 16-year-old country girl from Georgia. Because I'm a big mama's boy, it was easy for me to buy into the lyrics, as evidenced by its nine-day run atop my daily chart. This is pretty standard as far as coronation anthems go. It's saccharine and has ample room for runs. That's a simple, but winning formula in my books.
                                  Code:
                                  Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(9)
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 21
                                  254. The Saturdays - Disco Love

What you say, Mr doable, hey, Mr doa-doable
                                  Got me wanting the physical, hey, the physi-physical
                                  We got the disco love, so fun and colorful
                                  It's never winter when it's Donna Summer all year long
                                  You take me back in time, to 1999
                                  We hear the DJ playing 'Hit Me Baby One More Time'

Am I such an easy sell that I love this track in great part because of its "...Baby One More Time" shout-out? Absolutely. The "Donna Summer" lyric is great, too, but "...Baby" is a classic among classics, and I deeply appreciated the nod to its influence. It's pretty cool that you have a great electro-pop song with bubblegum and disco influences that celebrates songs and artists of yesteryear that paved the way. Unsurprisingly, this is my fave Saturdays jam.
                                  Code:
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 61
                                  253. Will Young - All the Songs

Can't escape from these chains
                                  All the songs remind me of you
                                  All this pain, when will it end?
                                  All the songs remind me of you

The pristine production, the emotional and reflective lyrics, the upper register in which the vocal resides for the entire track's duration - this song is absolutely the best thing Will Young has done in his career. It's sleek synth-pop magic!
                                  Code:
                                  Year Released: 2019
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 112
                                  252. Tinashe - All Hands on Deck

All hands on deck
                                  All in the front all in the back just like that, like that
                                  I'mma blow your mind, take it out on the floor like that, like that

"All Hands on Deck" has this degree of intensity and passion that I absolutely love, and it hits you as soon as you hit play! Its chorus is pure adrenaline really, a well-crafted dance anthem tailor-made for the heavy choreography Tinashe expertly brings to the track's music video. This was the first Tinashe song I loved, which was a relief for me as I'd heard so many positive things about her, but had failed to connect with any of her songs before this one.
                                  Code:
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 86
                                  251. Ella Henderson - Ghost

I keep going to the river to pray

I'm not really a religious person, but I understand the role of religion in people's lives, and how it can be a source of comfort when things become too much, so I do love the religious imagery on this track, going to a source bigger than yourself to deal with whatever crazy challenge life's thrown your way - I can get behind that. Ella's vocals are really great on this, big and full with emotion. I've always said that she delivers a mature vocal on this one. I remember being shocked when I learned the singer behind it was only 18.
                                  Code:
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 125

Comment

Ghost is nice.
                                    I like What About Us but The Sats have definitely had better songs IMO.

Comment

Disco Love is fantastic! I also love the 'Baby One More Time' shout-out (and the 'Stayin' Alive' one). I had no idea that the line which contained the word summer was actually Donna Summer!
                                      My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Ghost is nice.
                                        I like What About Us but The Sats have definitely had better songs IMO.
                                        Did you mean "Disco Love"? Since you brought it up, I should probably play "What About Us". I haven't heard that one in ages.

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                                        Disco Love is fantastic! I also love the 'Baby One More Time' shout-out (and the 'Stayin' Alive' one). I had no idea that the line which contained the word summer was actually Donna Summer!
                                        Ah, nice that I could help you make that discovery!

Comment

250. Toni Braxton - Deadwood

Just wanna let you know
                                          I won't let this one go
                                          You got me down, but I ain't out
                                          Think you got me good
                                          Left me like some deadwood
                                          I may be down, but I'll turn it around

Toni's signature husky vocals on a mellow ballad that has the emotion turned all the way up, but the bombast at simmer, makes for a gorgeous contrast and a rather potent song. The melody is minimal and simple, but so gorgeous, and Toni's voice is in stunningly fine form all these years later. The R&B savants will disagree with me on this, but "Deadwood" was Toni's finest work in the 2010s.
                                          Code:
                                          Year Released: 2017
                                          Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(6)
                                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 116
                                          249. Lorde - Team

Dancin' around the lies we tell
                                          Dancin' around big eyes as well
                                          Even the comatose, they don't dance and tell
                                          We live in cities you'll never see onscreen
                                          Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things
                                          Livin' in ruins of a palace within my dreams
                                          And you know we're on each other's team
                                          I'm kind of over gettin' told to throw my hands up in the air
                                          So there
                                          I'm kind of older than I was when I reveled without a care
                                          So there

Driven by a simple handclap melody, "Team" is a rebellious (but catchy) 'Pure Heroine' moment, where Lorde imagines her and her friends as rulers of their own obscure kingdoms. There's an against-the-grain energy that's pervasive on this track, most exquisitely expressed through Lorde's declaration of exhaust on the "I'm kind of over gettin' told to throw my hands up in the air". It's insane to fathom that Lorde was just 16 when she was penning some of these incredibly mature and insightful songs, and I'm happy that she broke through in 2013 in such a big way. She's been a real breath of fresh air in pop music.
                                          Code:
                                          248. Mariah Carey - Meteorite

'Cause you’ve got the night to light up the sky
                                          Meteorite in front of every eye
                                          A shooting star, your fame is a flame
                                          They watch you burn up, turn up, turnt up all the way
                                          Meteorite-ite-ite
                                          A shooting star

Mariah Carey is the queen of empowerment music - the fact that she has an LP titled 'Rainbow' is evidence enough - and "Meteorite" is a big blast of positivity that I've had on my morning playlist for years. It's a great shower anthem to blare as you prepare to take on your day. The "-ite-ite" hook is far catchier than it looks on paper!
                                          Code:
                                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 208
                                          247. Beyoncé - Run the World (Girls)

Boy, you know you love it
                                          How we're smart enough to make these millions
                                          Strong enough to bear the children (Children)
                                          Then get back to business

Following the most successful era of her storied career, Beyoncé returned in 2011 with '4', and released "Run the World (Girls)" as the record's forerunner. To say people were shook (and dismayed, disappointed, and distressed) would be an understatement. The production is so wild - alarm-like sirens, Afro-tribal beats - but the message came in loud and clear as a female empowerment anthem, and as a big believer that women ought to hold far more positions in leadership than they've held in the past (and presently hold), "Run the World" was a song whose message I could get behind, even if the sound was too far left-field at the time for me to endorse. While this isn't my favourite Bey song, I do consider it her bravest release, and her performance at this at the 2011 Billboard Music Awards is easily among my top 5 live performances of the 2010s. She did a great job with this at Coachella as well, and the music video is fantastic. So much about this song feels big and bombastic, and I'm happy that it seems to have gotten a decent bit of appreciation post-2011 than it did back when it was released. Even if it was a huge commercial flop, I think this is one of Beyoncé's most significant singles.
                                          Code:
                                          246. David Guetta - Turn Me On (feat. Nicki Minaj)

D-d-d-d-don't let me die young
                                          I just want you to father my young
                                          I just want you to be my doctor
                                          We can get it cracking, chiropractor
                                          I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
                                          I know you can save me and make me feel alive

One of the great chameleons of my generation, Nicki Minaj shows off her versatility on "Turn Me On" singing the first two-thirds (with light autotune assistance) and then flooring the bridge with her unmatched rap flow and skills. David Guetta (my favourite DJ) does a killer job on the production here, and Nicki surfs the dance waves like a pro. I've berated so much of the popular dance music the past couple years, but this is what I consider high-quality dance-pop.
                                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

You don't like "Bird Set Free"?

The bolded bit is shade - warranted shade, but shade nonetheless. I do love that quality about RiRi's voice, too.
                                            I do like Bird Set Free; I was just too lazy to single it out. I'm so glad you caught that, haha! RiRi was angling for my top artist ever on my chart around Love on the Brain's charting, and then she disappeared.

Like several song sin your most recent group:
                                            • Ghost hit my chart far ahead of it blowing up because it was my Halloween #1 from the playlist the previous year. I think she performed it the following spring on The Voice. Surprised she didn't follow up its success in the US. Absolutely stunned she was only 18 though! New information.
                                            • Speaking of teenagers, what a great follow-up this was and keeping in line with Royals. She really was a distinct voice; I just feel like the landscape changed on her by the time her next album was released.
                                            • I remember feeling like Turn Me On was the song that reeled me back to Nicki when I was starting to lose interest in her - it was such a departure for her, and the versatility proved she had talent in spades.
                                            Looking forward to the next group!

Comment

I do like Bird Set Free; I was just too lazy to single it out. I'm so glad you caught that, haha! RiRi was angling for my top artist ever on my chart around Love on the Brain's charting, and then she disappeared.
                                              Ah, I suspected it was a slip-up!

I have to check to make sure, but I think RiRi's been the top artist on my chart since the end of 2012, despite only releasing one album from that period to now (almost eight years - unforgivable!) so I think that says a lot about my love for her.

[Ghost hit my chart far ahead of it blowing up because it was my Halloween #1 from the playlist the previous year. I think she performed it the following spring on The Voice. Surprised she didn't follow up its success in the US. Absolutely stunned she was only 18 though! New information.
                                              Ah, so you were ahead of the curve with "Ghost"? Cool! Glad I could help disseminate new information. #CNNhew #FoxNewsIDontKnowHa

Speaking of teenagers, what a great follow-up this was and keeping in line with Royals. She really was a distinct voice; I just feel like the landscape changed on her by the time her next album was released.
                                              Speaking of "Royals"...

I remember feeling like Turn Me On was the song that reeled me back to Nicki when I was starting to lose interest in her - it was such a departure for her, and the versatility proved she had talent in spades.
                                              Yeah, I think Onika is still fairly underrated among folks in the perception of talent department...and I can tell that she thinks so, too! I'm sure it has a lot to do with her being a female in such a male-run genre.

Comment

245. Delta Goodrem - Dancing with a Broken Heart

I won't look back tonight
                                                This is the time of my life
                                                Underneath these stars
                                                Dancing with a broken heart
                                                Fight fire with fire
                                                The truth to a liar
                                                I'm going higher...
                                                Dancing with a broken heart

My most-played Delta song of the 2010s, "Dancing with a Broken Heart" pairs sombre lyrics with a mid-tempo dance melody and stubborn optimist spirit for a sleek synthpop final product that really connected with me in 2012. I love the way she toys with the word "heart" at the end of each chorus, really stretching out that singular syllable - har-ah-ah-ah-ha-ah-ah-har-heart. And that resilient declaration towards the end, "I won't break!", is divine.
                                                Code:
                                                Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(5)
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 104
                                                244. Janet Jackson - BURNITUP! (feat. Missy Elliott)

When the DJ play this we gon' dance like no one's watching
                                                Hey Mr DJ, drop that track and won't you turn it up
                                                I'ma dance all night and I don't care who's out there watching us
                                                Just give me that fire and I'ma show you how to burn it up

Pure adrenaline - that's what this song is, from that energetic Missy Elliott intro, to the ageless dance queen making her dancefloor intentions clear. There is so much joy in Janet's vocal that you can't help but feel infected by it. I'll never get over how brilliantly Janet conveys that particular emotion, but it's an especially potent delivery here. It's an unpopular pick, I'm sure, but this is my top Janet song of the decade.
                                                Code:
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 45
                                                243. Bruno Mars - Treasure

Treasure, that is what you are
                                                Honey you're my golden star
                                                You know you can make my wish come true
                                                If you let me treasure you

"Treasure" is very much the less cringe-worthy, less languid sister track to its predecessor "Just the Way You Are". The setting is largely the same - there's a beautiful, insecure girl, who Bruno's gonna make convince through his entirely selfless, ulterior-lacking love is a "wonderful, flawless, sexy lady". The retro R&B stylings make you forgive this topical retread and just jam to the bop it undoubtedly is. Kudos on the hilarious and random "Baby squirrel..." opening lyric!
                                                Code:
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 141
                                                242. One Direction - Best Song Ever

I said, "Can you give it back to me?"
                                                She said, "Never in your wildest dreams"

Many a pop fan were sceptical of 1D early on, but by the time this dropped, they'd proven that they had the goods to deliver high-quality pop magic, though you could forgive the more-than-handful of eyebrows that were raised by this track's title reveal. It's not quite the best song ever - it's not even the boys' best song - but its video is really damn good! It's easily among my top 5 videos of the decade, and quite comfortably the best video the boys have done. As for the song itself, it's fun, harmless, fist-pumping, chorus-centric pop, and that's an always an easy way to make it onto my playlist.
                                                Code:
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 181
                                                241. Lorde - Royals

But every song's like
                                                Gold teeth, Grey Goose, trippin' in the bathroom
                                                Bloodstains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room
                                                We don't care; we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams
                                                But everybody's like
                                                Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece
                                                Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
                                                We don't care; we aren't caught up in your love affair

How many 16-year-olds manage to come out of the gate with such an incredibly co-penned debut single (with lyrical pieces penned as early as 12!), much less have that impressive first single win a Grammy award for song of the year? Backdropped, in clever juxtaposition fashion, by a regal production, Lorde laments about the themes of excess, opulence, and recklessness that permeated the radiowaves then (as they do now). In her view, it's an inaccessible ideal to the GP and she's grown wary of the lack of inspiration in popular music. It was a rebellious point of view, a confident and haunting vocal performance, and a fine introduction to one of the decade's most exciting talents.
                                                Code:
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 277

Comment

240. Beyoncé - Countdown

My baby is a ten
                                                  We dressing to the nine
                                                  He pick me up, we eight
                                                  Make me feel so lucky, seven
                                                  He kiss me in his six
                                                  We be making love in five
                                                  Still the one I do this four
                                                  I'm trying to make us three
                                                  From that two
                                                  He still the one

My initial '4' fave, "Countdown" is one of the catchiest songs in Bey's discography. The actual 10-1 countdown in the hook is so much fun! I was rather obsessed with this in 2011, but my love for it has died quite a bit since then.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(5)
                                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 82
                                                  239. Britney Spears - Work Bitch

Hold your head high, fingers to the sky
                                                  They gon' try to try ya', but they can't deny ya'

This is a rather odd song in Britney's discography, though on the surface it seems well within the pop princess's wheelhouse, with its high-energy, electro-pop production and catchy one-liners. I suppose the oddness comes in the song really being a hot mess. It's quite disjointed in its cadence from verse to chorus to bridge. There's a certain level of polish that Britney's best songs have, and "Work Bitch" certainly lacks that. Though it falls down in that metric, it certainly has a fine overall message (perfect for hard sessions in the gym or mentally taxing days in a cubicle) and the faux British accent is endearing, rather than annoying. I think "Work Bitch" signalled what was to come with 'Britney Jean', though I do think it's aged well, having topped my daily chart as recently as three weeks ago.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(6)
                                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 364
                                                  238. Beyoncé - Start Over

Maybe we reached the mountain peak
                                                  And there's no more left to climb
                                                  And maybe we lost the magic piece
                                                  And we're both too blind to find

The passion on "Start Over" is something else. The protagonist is frustrated, but not yet ready to throw in the towel on a turbulent relationship. As a last-ditch effort to avoid dissolution, she suggests starting over as a solution. This is really the essence of the '4' album that I love - soul, stellar vocals, strong message. This has always been one of my fave Bey songs and has aged well over the years. In my view, it's one of her under-heralded gems.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 148
                                                  237. Taylor Swift - Sparks Fly

I'm on my guard for the rest of the world
                                                  But with you I know it's no good

The hopeless romantic in me swoons when I play this song and hear the above-quoted lyric. "Sparks Fly" captures the very best sides of a functioning relationship - the love, joy, and, most importantly (for me), trust and peace. She and her team totally dropped the ball not properly pushing this as an official single with a sensible music video. It could've been one of her career-biggest smashes.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 76
                                                  236. Frank Ocean - Thinkin Bout You

Or do you not think so far ahead (ahead)?
                                                  'Cause I've been thinkin' 'bout forever (Oooh, oooh)

Frank Ocean's breakthrough hit and biggest solo success to date, "Thinkin Bout You" felt like a significant moment in music history for me. It was the first time I can remember a Black gay man using male pronouns in a love song, and Frank coming out as queer in that (super) long tumblr post admittedly inflated my love for this track. I love how the overall vibe of the track is chill, but there's a real moment of emotional vulnerability on the falsetto parts (in the quoted lyrics above). It's an awkward admission that one party in the relationship is seeing the union going the distance whereas the other's POV of the situation may be more touch and go. It's a super common, painfully real experience most people endure at some point in their dating lives, and Frank captures that feeling and emotes it superbly. Interesting tidbit: "Thinkin Bout You" is my most-played song of the 2010s featuring all-male vocals.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 384

Comment

235. Emeli Sandé - Hurts

Hold on, it's a marathon
                                                    Run fast, run fast like the rivers run, goddamn
                                                    Another scene in the restaurant
                                                    Ah, took a minute 'til the penny dropped, you know
                                                    My tears don't fall too often
                                                    But your knife is cutting me deep
                                                    Deep, deep, deep, deep, deep, deep, deep
                                                    Baby, I'm not made of stone, it hurts

My favourite Emeli Sandé song, "Hurts" sets a frenetic pace early on, slowing at each chorus stop to really articulate the protagonist's pain. When the choir joins Emeli on the final chorus, even my heart breaks a little. This being an uptempo ballad really helps it.
                                                    Code:
                                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 109
                                                    234. Ava Max - So Am I

Do you ever feel like a misfit?
                                                    Everything inside you is dark and twisted
                                                    Oh, but it's okay to be different
                                                    'Cause baby, so am I (So am I, so am I, so am I)
                                                    Do you ever feel like an outcast?
                                                    You don't have to fit into the format
                                                    Oh, but it's okay to be different
                                                    'Cause baby, so am I (So am I, so am I, so am I-I-I-I-I)

Uplifting pop music with soaring, anthemic choruses will always be a vibe that works for me. Prior to this, the Gaga comparisons felt unfounded, but they clicked as this is a very Gaga-esque message.
                                                    Code:
                                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 122
                                                    233. Demi Lovato - Give Your Heart a Break

Don't wanna break your heart
                                                    Wanna give your heart a break
                                                    I know you're scared it's wrong
                                                    Like you might make a mistake
                                                    There's just one life to live
                                                    And there's no time to wait, to waste
                                                    So let me give your heart a break, give your heart a break
                                                    Let me give your heart a break, your heart a break

Give Demi a decently penned ballad and she will deliver! "Give Your Heart a Break" is a sweet, mid-tempo ballad, where Demi reassures her lover that she's not going to put him through the same rigours that his exes did. She pleas for his trust and pledges to treat his heart with the care and respect it deserves, and that's such a sweet promise. I wholly endorse this song's message, and would probably appreciate it even more were it not for the fact that Demi has a "Heart" song that's far superior. These rangy ballads are so within Demi's wheelhouse, though; I just love hearing her in her element like this.
                                                    Code:
                                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 100
                                                    232. Carrie Underwood - Two Black Cadillacs

And the preacher said he was a good man
                                                    And his brother said he was a good friend
                                                    But the women in the two black veils, they didn’t bother to cry
                                                    Bye bye, bye bye (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
                                                    Yeah, they took turns laying a rose down
                                                    Threw a handful of dirt into the deep ground
                                                    He’s not the only one who had a secret to hide
                                                    Bye bye, bye bye, bye bye
                                                    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

'Blown Away' saw Carrie Underwood take on some more mature themes in her music (like murder!) and "Two Black Cadillacs" is an exciting story of infidelity and deceit, harsh retaliation, and stylish funeral transportation. The songwriting on this is ace - I love how they capture the funeral proceedings, with all the speakers singing the deceased man's praises. The hypocrisy is so artfully captured, as is the icy chilliness of the two women in the narrative. "They shared a crimson smile and then walked away". This is quality storytelling done by one of the best in the business.
                                                    Code:
                                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 162
                                                    231. Maroon 5 - One More Night

You and I go hard at each other like we're going to war
                                                    You and I go rough, we keep throwing things and slamming the doors
                                                    You and I get so damn dysfunctional, we stopped keeping score
                                                    You and I get sick, yeah, I know that we can't do this no more
                                                    So I cross my heart, and I hope to die
                                                    That I'll only stay with you one more night
                                                    And I know I've said it a million times
                                                    But I'll only stay with you one more night

Easily the catchiest M5 song ever, "One More Night" is driven by these ridiculously addictive "Ooh, ooh ooh ooh, ooh ooh, ooh ooh" moments that look so simple on paper, but are incredibly effective as an earworm, as well as a super relatable relationship retread theme. We know there's no hope each time the "cross my heart and hope to die" pledge comes 'round, but we get the self-psychology.
                                                    Code:

Comment

What a great group. I think you got me into Two Black Cadillacs as the first Carrie Underwoord song I actually listened to, so thank you. One More Night is definitely one of Maroon 5's strongest from a great album. And the Demi Lovato song is really good too!

Comment

What a great group. I think you got me into Two Black Cadillacs as the first Carrie Underwoord song I actually listened to, so thank you. One More Night is definitely one of Maroon 5's strongest from a great album. And the Demi Lovato song is really good too!
                                                        Glad you like the batch!

I remember being pretty happy when you liked a Carrie Underwood song since country music is so under-heralded on UKMix.

Comment

230. Justin Bieber - Sorry

Yeah, is it too late now to say sorry?
                                                          'Cause I'm missing more than just your body
                                                          Is it too late now to say sorry?
                                                          Yeah I know that I let you down
                                                          Is it too late to say I'm sorry now?

One of the biggest hits to emerge from the tropical house era of the mid-2010s, "Sorry" was an instant smash. I think the whole 'Purpose' era was the one period where it was cool to play Bieber's music. He'd finally grown up in the GP's eyes and this was a song with which so many folks connected. I actually think this is one of the rarer instances of the GP liking a Bieber song more than I did, but this one took a while to connect with me. Still, he's got much better, much higher up.
                                                          Code:
                                                          229. Megan Thee Stallion - Hot Girl Summer (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Handle me? (Huh) Who gon' handle me? (Who?)
                                                          Thinkin' he's a player, he's a member on the team
                                                          He put in all that work, he wanna be the MVP (Boy, bye)
                                                          I told him ain't no taming me, I love my ni**as equally
                                                          Who a hotter B? Who got a lot of D?
                                                          Who poppin' like a P when he be hoppin' out the V? (Brr)
                                                          And who gon' tell him that my bitch is getting her degree?
                                                          And when we say it's Hot Girl Summer, we ain't talkin' 'bout degrees
                                                          Who unfollowed me? Like who don't follow me?
                                                          'Cause even in your new bitch, I can see a lot of me
                                                          And honestly I'm honored 'cause that shit be comedy
                                                          You ain't put me in no brands, but I see you proud of me
                                                          I'm just a real ass bitch, give a f**k about a trick
                                                          On some real ass shit, and we really with the shit
                                                          Put this pussy on your lip, give a f**k about the dick
                                                          I get that rrr and then I rrr, I grab my shit and then I dip, ooh

I know that technically Ty Dolla $ign is on this track, but "Hot Girl Summer" is all about girl power for me! I had to quote verses from both Megan and Nicki because they both do such a great job on this track, and it was probably my biggest club anthem of 2019! My favourite club played this quite a bit even as summer moved into autumn, and I had a blast every time the DJ put it on. Female hip/hop has so much talent and I really wish the GP embraced this one more and made it the definitive summer anthem of the year.
                                                          Code:
                                                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 106
                                                          228. Taylor Swift - Getaway Car

I knew it from the first Old Fashioned, we were cursed
                                                          We never had a shotgun shot in the dark (Oh!)

The top 'Reputation' track, "Getaway Car" is the most classic Taylor Swift song on its parent album. It's got the strong lyricism, the melodrama, the production, the sucker-punch of a hook with that lethal "shotgun shot in the dark!" cry. It didn't gel (entirely) with the overall theme of 'Reputation', which is probably why it was never seriously considered for a single release, but it's easily one of T-Swizzle's finest moments.
                                                          Code:
                                                          Year Released: 2017
                                                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 67
                                                          227. Tinashe - Know Better

Wanna love you, but I know better, better
                                                          Wanna kiss you, but I know better
                                                          I know better, baby
                                                          Miss you, but I know better
                                                          Got me telling all my secrets
                                                          Got me in and out my feelings tonight

Tinashe's top (solo) track, "Know Better" is this lush, expertly penned, masterfully delivered R&B gem that I honestly didn't think Tinashe would be capable of delivering. Her vocals on this are so rich, so emotive, so beautiful! She showcases such range, from delicate, gentle, passive whispers to full-throated, roaring runs. She can SANG, and this was a fact of which I was wholly unaware. "Know Better" is a real highlight from her discography and the toast of arguably 2019's finest R&B LP.
                                                          Code:
                                                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 80
                                                          226. Kylie Minogue - All the Lovers

Dance, it's all I wanna do, so won't you dance?
                                                          I'm standing here with you, why won't you move?
                                                          I'll get inside your groove 'cause I'm on fire, fire, fire, fire
                                                          It hurts when you get too close but, baby, it hurts
                                                          If love is really good, you just want more
                                                          Even if it throws you to the fire, fire, fire, fire

A sleek dance-pop moment from the Aussie pop goddess, "All the Lovers" is armed with a pretty special video that celebrates love in all its various forms. Its rather sublime production always manages to put me in a bit of a therapeutic trance, and it's a rather signature song and delivery for Kylie.
                                                          Code:
                                                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 65

Comment

Checking in again!
                                                            • WHAT? I have never heard that baby squirrel line! I think that was pre-Spotify, so it might have been in my youtube-to-mp3 days without that part in there! That's hysterical. Why
                                                            • Are those Harry Styles legs in that 1D cover? Maybe I'll need to reconsider my disinterest in him.
                                                            • Oh, and there's Royals! Songs like this make me miss the musical landscape of that time. Music was in such flux that year and woman were still co-existing pretty regularly on the chart with men.
                                                            • Of the Bey tracks, I prefer countdown - it's so playful. I like the lyrics of Start Over, but not crazy about Bey's vocals on that - I think she goes all out too soon in the song.
                                                            • YESS to Hurts! - While Next To Me did bette ron my chart, I find I return to Hurts more often - it's peppier, and those lyrics you quote are a highlight - it's a bit reminiscent of Rolling in the Deep to me.
                                                            • Speaking of prerring the less popular single, there's So Am I. I'll forever be perplexed why Sweet But Psycho landed so strongly, but the follow-up, still in the same vein of that song was completely ignored here.
                                                            I'll circle back to minimize wordwalling.

Comment

Checking in again!
                                                              Greetings, CT!

WHAT? I have never heard that baby squirrel line! I think that was pre-Spotify, so it might have been in my youtube-to-mp3 days without that part in there! That's hysterical.
                                                              Glad you discovered that part! It adds an extra layer of awesomeness to the song for me!

Are those Harry Styles legs in that 1D cover? Maybe I'll need to reconsider my disinterest in him.
                                                              Those certainly are! Harry was always 'my type' from the group. Pretty boys that have a decent sense of humour are my Achilles heel.

Oh, and there's Royals! Songs like this make me miss the musical landscape of that time. Music was in such flux that year and woman were still co-existing pretty regularly on the chart with men.
                                                              Yeah, I really miss the ladies being at the top of the chart. I remember reading on Twitter that some scientific study concluded that female artists' work is more innovative than their peers and I remember thinking, "Y'all didn't need a scientific study to conclude that."

Of the Bey tracks, I prefer countdown - it's so playful. I like the lyrics of Start Over, but not crazy about Bey's vocals on that - I think she goes all out too soon in the song.
                                                              I understand that critique - like she started at 100 and didn't have much further to go after that, but I love the grand opening!

YESS to Hurts! - While Next To Me did better on my chart, I find I return to Hurts more often - it's peppier, and those lyrics you quote are a highlight - it's a bit reminiscent of Rolling in the Deep to me.
                                                              I remember your comparison of "Hurts" to "Rolling in the Deep" and I definitely get that in its production, though they're still a good bit different to me.

Speaking of preferring the less popular single, there's So Am I. I'll forever be perplexed why Sweet But Psycho landed so strongly, but the follow-up, still in the same vein of that song was completely ignored here.
                                                              The GP and its inconsistent taste <<<
                                                              I'll circle back to minimize wordwalling.
                                                              No prob. Thanks for stopping in!

Comment

Working...
                                                              X