Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [2-1!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Not Afraid, Million Years Ago, If I Die Young, Firework, Lights, Wide Awake and Whatever It Takes are my facourites from the last two batches!
    Ah, 70 percent! Not bad!
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• 115. Kelly Clarkson - You Can't Win

If you're thin, poor little walking disease
      If you're not, they're all screaming obese
      If you're straight, why aren't you married yet?
      If you're gay, why aren't you wavin' a flag?
      The one who doesn't quite fit in
      Underdressed under your skin
      Oh, a walking disaster
      Every time you try to fly, you end up falling out of line, oh
      You can't, you can't win, no

KC's final of five songs, "You Can't Win" elaborates on the frustrating predicament where every move you make in life, or even any characteristic you have, generates criticism. I love the lyrics and endorse its message, but it would have been an even more potent gem had there been a verse or bridge included where KC announced she didn't care to 'win' a game she had no interest in playing.
      Code:
      Significance Rating: 4/20
      Year Released: 2011
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(7)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 189
      114. Miranda Lambert - Mama's Broken Heart

Go and fix your make up, girl, it’s just a break up
      Run and hide your crazy and start actin’ like a lady
      'Cause I raised you better, gotta keep it together
      Even when you fall apart
      But this ain’t my mama’s broken heart

Featuring songwriting credits from powerhouse female country singers Brandy Clark and Kacey Musgraves, "Mama's Broken Heart" has a distinct sense of 21st century feminism, rejecting the prim and proper, softer attitudes to prop up a façade, and embracing a more transparent reaction to heartbreak and infidelity. With Miranda at the helm serving as mouthpiece, this easily became one of my favourite peppery country-pop songs of the decade.
      Code:
      Year Released: 2013
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(1)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 103
      113. Ariana Grande - Side to Side (feat. Nicki Minaj)

These friends keep talkin' way too much
      Say I should give you up
      Can't hear them, no, 'cause I...
      I've been here all night
      I've been here all day
      And boy, you got me walkin' side to side
      I've been here all night
      I've been here all day
      And boy, you got me walkin' side to side (Side to side)
      'Cause tonight I'm making deals with the devil
      And I know it's gonna get me in trouble
      This the new style with the fresh type of flow
      Wrist icicle, ride d**k bicycle
      Come through yo, get you this type of blow
      If you wanna Minaj, I got a tricycle
      All these bitches' flows is my mini-me
      Body smoking, so they call me Young Nicki Chimney
      Rappers in they feelings 'cause they feelin' me
      Uh, I-I give zero f**ks and I got zero chill in me
      Kissing me, copped the blue box that say Tiffany
      Curry with the shot, just tell 'em to call me Stephanie
      Gun pop, then I make my gum pop
      I'm the queen of rap, young Ariana run pop, uh

A sexy pop song with sleek synthpop sheen, "Side to Side" is an irresistible earworm, though it did take a good while to grow on me (it didn't reach #1 on my daily chart until Q4 of 2019). Ari's gorgeous vocal rides the beat with such ease, and you can always count on Onika to come through with a quality, grade A verse.
      Code:
      Year Released: 2016
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 59
      112. Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song

It's been said and done
      Every beautiful thought's been already sung
      And I guess right now, here's another one
      So your melody will play on and on
      With the best of 'em
      You are beautiful
      Like a dream come alive, incredible
      A centerfold miracle, lyrical
      You saved my life again
      And I want you to know, baby
      I, I love you like a love song, baby
      And I keep hitting repeat-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat (Oh)
      I, I love you like a love song, baby (oh)
      And I keep hitting repeat-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat
      Constantly
      Boy, you play through my mind like a symphony
      There's no way to describe what you do to me
      You just do to me
      What you do
      And it feels like I've been rescued
      I've been set free
      I am hypnotized by your destiny
      You are magical, lyrical, beautiful

This song resonates with the hopeless romantic in me. The way the beat flutters in tune to the heartbeat of a doe-eyed youth in love, the poetic lyrics, Selena's soft and sweet vocals that pair so perfectly with the track - this is easily the best single of her career.
      Code:
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(9)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 62
      111. Usher - OMG

Got me like, "Oh my gosh", I'm so in love
      I found you finally, you make me want to say
      Oh oh oh-oh oh, oh oh oh-oh oh
      Oh oh oh-oh oh, oh, oh my gosh
      (Oh oh oh-oh oh, oh oh oh-oh)

Early on in the decade, I was even more of a pop fan than I am now, so when one of my favourite R&B artists veered sharply and unapologetically into a dance-pop lane, I was very much on board. There aren't really any lyrical highlights here, but the song's beat is still impressive to me after all these years. It's got a sports crowd-esque cheer that's heard throughout in the verses, then rises to a crescendo in the chorus, and that makes it such a powerful party anthem in my eyes.
      Code:
      Year Released: 2010
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(12)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 31

Comment

• 110. Christina Aguilera - Twice

Are you devil? Are you angel?
        Am I heaven? Am I hell?
        I can barely find the proof to save myself
        Are you water? Are you fire?
        Are you filthy? Are you pure?
        Oh, I thought by now I'd know
        But I'm not sure
        My forever and my end
        My forgiveness and my sin
        I have sacrificed the most of my youth
        Is it treason? Is it true?
        That the worst I won't undo
        Only enemy I have in love is you

Regal and majestic, "Twice" is a mature ballad from Christina, one where she reins in much of the bombast and conveys the emotion of the track - paramount of which is her uncertainty - through soft vocal inflections, sighs, and tentative pauses. The song sees Christina take a considered approach to love, viewing the pros and cons from a balanced perspective, and concluding that the great risk is worth it all. Even if it led to heartbreak and destruction, from which the lyrics suggest she's yet to fully recover, she'd do it all again because the highs are worth it. That's a pretty powerful endorsement of love.
        Code:
        Year Released: 2018
        Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(2)
        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 126
        109. Chris Brown - Back to Sleep (feat. Usher & Zayn)

Come and ride on me like the waves
        I flip the pages 'cause I wrote the book
        On the way how to sex you up, sex you up
        We can do it like I'm on the stage, we'll have an audience
        Baby, I'll show you the way that I sex you up
        Or I can lick you up and down 'til you say
        You love how I eat on that pu**y
        You just might go put a tat' on that pu**y
        That says Usher, Usher
        There's no other, other (Yeah!)
        Damn girl, yeah, you got that juicy
        Love when I make you cum, I make it gushy
        One without the other
        I'm the champion lover, lover
        F**k you to sleep, wake you up again (Oh)
        I go so deep, beat it up again (Oh)
        Girl, come and sit on my tongue again
        'Cause I love to taste you, yeah
        I can tell you been eating your pineapples (Mmm)
        Girl, your pu**y taste like pineapples (Oh)
        But I just wanna tell you I'm sorry (Hey!)
        For f**king 'round with Keisha and MaKayla (Huh)
        For all the Georgia peaches in Decatur
        For all these bitches in the elevator
        I just want you to love me (Yeah, yeah)
        Yeah, baby, don't test me (Huh), you know I'll do it
        You want me to say your name, girl? Okay, Karrueche
        Know it's been a long day, it's 'bout to be a long night
        So keep your eyes closed 'til I roll through
        So, baby, when you're feeling like a woman in the sheets
        Somebody splitting your knees, don't worry that's me
        I'm over here putting work in
        Baby, you ain't gotta tell me what you want

I'd liked "Back to Sleep" the first time I heard it, but when Chris decided to make an event of it, releasing a series of remixes, each featuring legendary names in R&B music, that quickly rocketed my appreciation of the track into 'love' territory. He made a three-part series of it, one including Tank, R. Kelly, and Anthony that I thought was okay, and another including Miguel, August Alsina, and Trey Songz that I enjoyed. Unsurprisingly, it was the first remix with Usher and Zayn that I found to be the most irresistible, so that's the version of the song represented here. It's really three guys, all of whom I've had varying degrees of crushes at different points in time, detailling their boudoir intentions in graphic detail, and that resonated with me.
        Code:
        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 86
        108. Taylor Swift - Style

You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye
        And I got that red lip classic thing that you like
        And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
        'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style
        You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt
        And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt
        And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
        'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style

That "James Dean daydream" lyric is a home-run for me. The way she breaks up those last two words in alliterative fashion is brilliant. The way her voice goes up half an octave on each final word in the chorus lines is another clever touch. This song has a subtlety and breeziness that I don't typically love in my pop music, but Taylor pulls it off.
        Code:
        Year Released: 2015
        Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(3)
        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 180
        107. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still

Ooh woo, I'm a rebel just for kicks, now
        I been feeling it since 1966, now
        Might be over now, but I feel it still

I'd bopped to this and appreciated it on a surface level of just being a super catchy, easy jam of an indie-pop song. When it breached the US top 10 in 2017, it gave the Billboard Hot 100 game I host a much-needed dose of variety, so that was really the basis for me liking it - its virtue of just being a damn good song. When CT spoke to the political undertones in the song, a message that I had completely missed, I revisited the song with new ears and a fresh perspective, and that's given the song a pretty extensive chart run on my daily top 20 list. It can be discouraging, especially as a young person, to see the world as it is and feel like you're powerless to have any real, tangible, positive impact, but this song's got an unshakable energy that promotes resilience, and I hope with all of the social and political movements, the younger generation doesn't lose their passion to continue fighting for what's right. So many futures depend on it.
        Code:
        Year Released: 2017
        Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(4)
        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 202
        106. Lizzo - Juice

It ain’t my fault that I'm out here gettin’ loose
        Gotta blame it on the Goose
        Gotta blame it on my juice, baby
        It ain't my fault that I'm out here makin' news
        I’m the pudding in the proof
        Gotta blame it on my juice
        Ya-ya-ee, ya-ya-ee, ya-ya-ee, ya-ya-ee
        Blame it on my juice, blame it, blame it on my juice
        Ya-ya-ee, ya-ya-ee, ya-ya-ee, ya-ya-ee
        Blame it on my juice, blame it, blame it on my juice (Ooh, baby)
        No, I'm not a snack at all
        Look, baby, I'm the whole damn meal (Ooh, baby)

My year-end #1 song of 2019 - which gives that year a second unfortunate distinction, having all of its tracks be the first of the decade to fall...and right before the top 100, too - "Juice" is an exceptional track. It maintains its high-energy throughout its entire runtime and is so amply equipped with clever one-liners, a killer production that blends elements from a variety of genres, and that message of self-love, which is so powerful and was so necessary for me to embrace at the time of its release. I'm happy for all of Lizzo's success as she's a talented artist and comes off as a genuine sweetheart, but I am a bit disappointed that the GP didn't make this the smash it deserved to be.
        Code:
        Year Released: 2019
        Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(8)
        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 318

Comment

• Hello! I wonder if I'll ever get caught up
          • Ah, had forgotten about I Need a Doctor - This was actually the first I ever heard of Skyler I think, and remember checking her out and liking a few of her songs. Eminem was my big draw here when I charted it.
          • Tennis Court - is that higher than Royals? It was one of four songs I charted for her and thought it would do really well, but I don't think it ended up denting the charts much at all. I think in retrospect, my favorite by her is Team, but maybe that's because Royals got so played out.
          • Flawless is still hanging in there on the Survivor, but I think it's about to be eliminated. Just realized that this duo is now responsible for two remixes that hit #1 last month! Too bad they couldn't make that kind of magic happen for this one!
          • Is Not Afraid Em's highest? Good choice if so - I feel like we got Eminem back with this song - he had pretty much fallen off to me until this album was released. He recaptured me with this one. I will say though that it also marks a habit that EM repeated for the rest of the decade. Release tepid album, then follow-up to more appeal by criticizing his own previous work.
          • I know I've said this a few times before, but Million Years Ago was a lost single opportunity - I would have preferred this to When We Were Young, which is of similar theme, as a single. It's so much more poignant.
          • All Things Go is a great example of why Nicki was at the top of the female rap game for practically the whole decade - she really still has no equal in my mind - maybe Megan Cardi Doja and the like can get there, but songs like this is while she is the best we've seen.
          • Well, so Lea's a racist, but at least they did great mash-ups on that show! They really shined with these and somehow mashed up two of the most opposed tracks on 21. It was brilliant and one of the few Glee songs I kept in my own playlist rotation.
          • Firework remains Katy's biggest hit on my chart of the decade. And in speaking to the selfie pop phenomenon, it was probably up there with the best of them. It came around about a year before Born This Way, a song that killed it on my chart but in retrospect, Firework has stayed more relevant as a Pride anthem. I wonder what my 2011 self would think abotu me saying that. I wasn't yet sick of Katy at this point, but by the time 2011 came to a close, I was so, so tired of her.
          • Lights is one of my all-time favorites - what an absolute marriage of vocals with production
          Little longer than I wanted to go, but wanted to make it the end of page 6

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            Hello! I wonder if I'll ever get caught up , Sean Paul
            Maybe!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            Ah, had forgotten about I Need a Doctor - This was actually the first I ever heard of Skyler I think, and remember checking her out and liking a few of her songs. Eminem was my big draw here when I charted it.
            Same here!

Tennis Court - is that higher than Royals? It was one of four songs I charted for her and thought it would do really well, but I don't think it ended up denting the charts much at all. I think in retrospect, my favorite by her is Team, but maybe that's because Royals got so played out.
            Correct!

Flawless is still hanging in there on the Survivor, but I think it's about to be eliminated. Just realized that this duo is now responsible for two remixes that hit #1 last month! Too bad they couldn't make that kind of magic happen for this one!
            Yeah, "***Flawless" is another song that felt a lot bigger than its chart performance would indicate it actually was.

Is Not Afraid Em's highest? Good choice if so - I feel like we got Eminem back with this song - he had pretty much fallen off to me until this album was released. He recaptured me with this one. I will say though that it also marks a habit that EM repeated for the rest of the decade. Release tepid album, then follow-up to more appeal by criticizing his own previous work.
            It is!

I know I've said this a few times before, but Million Years Ago was a lost single opportunity - I would have preferred this to When We Were Young, which is of similar theme, as a single. It's so much more poignant.
            You could say it a million times more and be justified in doing so. It's such an obvious single choice that would've given the era some more legs that I absolutely cannot believe they squandered the opportunity.

All Things Go is a great example of why Nicki was at the top of the female rap game for practically the whole decade - she really still has no equal in my mind - maybe Megan Cardi Doja and the like can get there, but songs like this is while she is the best we've seen.
            Yeah, I call Onika the queen of rap, but I don't even think she has more than two peers in the male department.

Well, so Lea's a racist, but at least they did great mash-ups on that show! They really shined with these and somehow mashed up two of the most opposed tracks on 21. It was brilliant and one of the few Glee songs I kept in my own playlist rotation.
            Interestingly enough, the two Glee Cast songs featured on my countdown don't include Lea at all; they were delivered by the Troubletones, a group led by the show's two finest minority characters because of the blatant favouritism afforded to Lea's character, Rachel, in the show.

Firework remains Katy's biggest hit on my chart of the decade. And in speaking to the selfie pop phenomenon, it was probably up there with the best of them. It came around about a year before Born This Way, a song that killed it on my chart but in retrospect, Firework has stayed more relevant as a Pride anthem. I wonder what my 2011 self would think abotu me saying that. I wasn't yet sick of Katy at this point, but by the time 2011 came to a close, I was so, so tired of her.
            Where I grew up, it was impossible to ever get sick of pop stars because R&B and hip/hop ruled the airwaves.

Quite funny you bring up "Born This Way" and Katy's Teenage Dream era, though.

Lights is one of my all-time favorites - what an absolute marriage of vocals with production
            It's incredible!

Comment

• We're on the precipice of the top 100 - about to enter the home-straight - and we breach the 'five' significance zone.

105. Lady Gaga - Born This Way

No matter gay, straight, or bi
              Lesbian, transgender life
              I'm on the right track, baby
              I was born to survive
              No matter black, white, or beige
              Chola or orient made
              I was born to be brave!
              I'm beautiful in my way
              'Cause God makes no mistakes
              I was born this way
              Don't hide yourself in regret
              Just love yourself, and you're set
              I was born this way, yeah

At the peak of her powers, when she had the music world at her fingertips, Gaga chose to release this unapologetic gay anthem and I will never not love her for that. Does the song bear a suspicious resemblance to "Express Yourself"? Absolutely. But is "Express Yourself" as good? Not quite. "Born This Way" is pulsating dance-pop from start to finish, with electro and soul influences. Gaga's mentioned Whitney Houston as an influence for this song, and as ludicrous as that first sounded on paper, when you hear the song, it makes sense. This song is pure pride: loud, daring, bold, beautiful, complete. Its music video, however, is an assault on the eyes.
              Code:
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 265
              104. Adele - Hello

There's such a difference between us
              And a million miles
              Hello from the other side
              I must've called a thousand times
              To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
              But when I call, you never seem to be home
              Hello from the outside
              At least, I can say that I've tried
              To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
              But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore

From one mega-star coming back after a huge era, to another superstar returning from an even more colossal one, "Hello" was undoubtedly one of the most-anticipated lead singles of all-time, and Adele returned in true-to-form fashion. It's classic balladry, simple but beautiful. The song builds so gracefully to its climax. When Adele gets to the other side of that bridge, it's a dam break of production and backing vocals that lift her own lead vocal into the stratosphere. And she exits stage left as meekly as she entered.
              Code:
              Significance Rating: 5/20
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 332
              103. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

You think I'm pretty without any makeup on
              You think I'm funny when I tell the punch line wrong
              I know you get me
              So I let my walls come down, down
              Before you met me
              I was alright, but things were kinda heavy
              You brought me to life
              Now every February, you'll be my Valentine, Valentine
              Let's go all the way tonight
              No regrets, just love
              We can dance until we die
              You and I, we'll be young forever
              You make me feel like I'm living a teenage dream
              The way you turn me on
              I can't sleep
              Let's run away and don't ever look back
              Don't ever look back
              My heart stops when you look at me
              Just one touch
              Now baby, I believe this is real
              So take a chance and don't ever look back
              Don't ever look back

Katy Perry kicked off the 2010s decade cranking out one colourful bubblegum pop smash after the other. Her 'Teenage Dream' era was one for the ages, and this title track was a clear highlight. I love the transition from a higher key in the verses paired with a light backing melody to the full-out cotton candy volcanic explosion that is the chorus. Interestingly enough, this song reminded me of a crush I had as a teenager in college. The guy in question was, I suppose, a 'teenage dream' of sorts for me, and that crush came to a fitting end shortly before my 20th birthday.
              Code:
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(6)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 105
              102. Adele - River Lea

Everybody tells me it's 'bout time that I moved on
              That I need to learn to lighten up and learn how to be young
              But my heart is a valley, it's so shallow and manmade
              I'm scared to death if I let you in that you'll see I'm just a fake
              Sometimes I feel lonely in the arms of your touch
              But I know that's just me 'cause nothing ever is enough
              When I was a child I grew up by the River Lea
              There was something in the water, now that something's in me
              Oh I can't go back, but the reeds are growing out of my fingertips
              I can't go back to the river
              But it's in my roots, in my veins
              In my blood and I stain every heart that I use to heal the pain
              Oh it's in my roots, in my veins
              In my blood and I stain every heart that I use to heal the pain
              So I blame it on the River Lea, the River Lea, the River Lea
              Yeah I blame it on the River Lea, the River Lea, the River Lea
              I should probably tell you now before it's way too late
              That I never meant to hurt you or lie straight to your face
              Consider this my apology, I know it's years in advance
              But I would rather say it now in case I never get the chance
              River Lea, River Lea
              River Lea
              The River Lea-ea-ea
              The River Lea-ea-ea
              The River Lea-ea-ea

The first song to breach the 400-spin play count, "River Lea" is the crown jewel of '25'. So much of our perspective in life is coloured by the experiences of our youth and the way Adele links that childhood foundation to 'the River Lea' is simple but brilliant. The apprehension, the insecurity, the self-doubt and pessimism, it's all informed by the protagonist's past and she's able to reflect with maturer eyes on the impact that's had on her friendships and relationships over the years.
              Code:
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(10)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 404
              101. Adam Lambert - If I Had You

So I got my boots on, got the right amount of leather
              And I'm doin' me up with a black color liner
              And I'm working my strut, but I know it don't matter
              All we need in this world is some love
              There's a thin line 'tween the dark side
              And the light side, baby, tonight
              It's a struggle, gotta rumble, tryna find it
              But if I had you
              That would be the only thing I'd ever need
              Yeah, if I had you
              The money, fame and fortune never could compete
              If I had you
              Life would be a party, it'd be ecstasy
              Yeah, if I had you
              Y-y-y-y-you, y-y-y-y-y-you, y-y-y-y-y-you
              If I had you
              From New York to LA, getting high, rock and rollin'
              Get a room trash it up 'til it's ten in the morning
              Girls in stripper heels, boys rollin' in Maserati's
              What they need in this world is some love

The longest chart-topper among the first 300 songs of this countdown, "If I Had You" had a sterling chart run on my daily list, and capped 2010 as one of my top 10 songs that year. For me, it's Adam's finest song. It's got a big pure pop chorus, with a deliciously catchy earworm of a hook (the way he breaks up in stutter fashion the "You" is brilliant).
              Code:
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(13)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 37

Comment

• We're into the final straight now! I was bored last night and did some pre-write-ups for songs ranked 100-67, so I may be zooming through those this weekend. Or not.

100. Rihanna - What's My Name? (feat. Drake)

Uh, yeah
                I heard you good with them soft lips
                Yeah, you know word of mouth
                The square root of 69 is 8 somethin', right?
                'Cause I've been tryna work it out, oh
                Uh, good weed, white wine
                Uh, I come alive in the night time, yeah
                Okay, away we go
                Only thing we have on is the radio
                Let it play
                Say you gotta leave, but I know you wanna stay
                You just waitin' on the traffic jam to finish girl
                The things that we could do in twenty minutes girl
                Say my name, say my name, wear it out
                It's gettin' hot, crack a window, air it out
                I can get you through a mighty long day
                Soon as you go the text that I write is gon' say

One of RiRi's biggest airplay hits of her storied career, the hype for this song was so immense that it went to #1 in the US even before the lead 'Loud' single "Only Girl" did. The song opens with a catchy hook, then segues into a great verse from Drake - one of his best, in my opinion. The chorus is catchy and the song one of RiRi's classics already. There are little words tossed here and there where you really hear RiRi's Bajan accent come to the fore, which is always a big plus for me in her music. I love her look in the video; she looks divinely gorgeous. This is really a simple pop song that doesn't really masquerade as anything else.
                Code:
                Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(5)
                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 93
                099. Marina & the Diamonds - Primadonna

'Cause I'm a Primadonna girl, yeah
                All I ever wanted was the world

"Primadonna" is luxe, with an unmistakable chic quality, an exquisite melody, and Marina's gorgeous, unique vocals. The song is really my rich gurl fantasy. "All I ever wanted was the world" describes my post-high school ambitions in a nutshell.
                Code:
                Year Released: 2012
                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 72
                098. Rihanna - Jump

Tell me that you love me, when you know you don't love me
                But I guess, I guess, I guess it's all good
                You can play the game, I'ma still do my thing
                Ain't no better way for it to be put
                When you f**k them other girls
                I bet they be wondering why you always call my name
                You think I'm gonna wait around, I ain't got all day
                You don't need another lover
                Don't you let it go
                I already got it covered
                Let the others know
                If you want it, let's do it
                Ride it, my pony
                My saddle is waiting
                Come and jump on it
                If you want it, let's do it
                Ride it, my pony
                My saddle is waiting
                Come and jump on it

The beat here is everything, the sample slays, and RiRi's delivery is perfection. Her voice just drips with seduction. It's low, sensual, erotic, a perfect match for the invitation she's dispatching to her lover. This should've been a single and a worldwide chart-topper. I think it had the potential to be one of her biggest hits. The beat drop is sick.
                Code:
                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 178
                097. Lady Gaga - I'll Never Love Again

Don't want to feel another touch
                Don't wanna start another fire
                Don't wanna know another kiss
                No other name falling off my lips
                Don't wanna give my heart away
                To another stranger
                Or let another day begin
                Won't even let the sunlight in
                No, I'll never love

When has Gaga's vocals ever shuddered with such emotion? She completely captures the soul of the lyrics and delivers them in earnest passion. I love how she sings the first half of each chorus in a sustained higher key before dropping the octave for a more powerful, full vocal delivery. 'A Star Is Born' is a crap movie, but this is one of the two titan tracks from the accompanying album. The second is a bit higher up.
                Code:
                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 162
                096. Brandon Flowers - Can't Deny My Love

I always thought I'd have a full tank to go
                (But not tonight, you're running low)
                I always thought I'd find my own way
                It's driving me crazy, and you can try to lie
                But you're not gonna, not gonna deny
                No you're not gonna, not gonna deny my love
                And you can run to the hillside, you can close your eyes
                But you're not gonna, not gonna deny
                No you're not gonna, not gonna deny my love
                You can't deny my love

Two batches back, we had my 2019 year-end #1, "Juice", fall, and here we have my 2015 year-end #1 song tumbling out. There are other 2015 songs that outrank it here, though, so it's not the last track we'll be seeing from that year. "Can't Deny My Love" has great lyrics, fervent passion, and a wholly interesting, time-warping-esque kind of melody that does so much for me.
                Code:
                Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(8)
                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 242

Comment

• Stronger, Side To Side, OMG, Feel It Still, Born This Way, Hello, Teenage Dream, River Lea, What's My Name and Primadonna are great! The number of Songs I like increase
                  But only two Songs from the Hot 100 so far
                  Personal Chart

Comment

• 'Can't Deny My Love' was also my number one song of 2015. It's absolutely fantastic and criminally underrated. What a shame that it flopped on the international charts!
                    My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Stronger, Side To Side, OMG, Feel It Still, Born This Way, Hello, Teenage Dream, River Lea, What's My Name and Primadonna are great! The number of Songs I like increase
                      But only two Songs from the Hot 100 so far
                      That's quite a few songs!

Let's see if this next batch manages more than two for you.

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                      'Can't Deny My Love' was also my number one song of 2015. It's absolutely fantastic and criminally underrated. What a shame that it flopped on the international charts!
                      Yeah, it definitely deserved more chart success, but the same goes for so many terrific songs from the last decade.

Comment

• 095. The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - Pray for Me

I fight the world, I fight you, I fight myself
                        I fight God, just tell me how many burdens left
                        I fight pain and hurricanes, today I wept
                        I'm tryna fight back tears, flood on my doorsteps
                        Life a livin' hell, puddles of blood in the streets
                        Shooters on top of the building, government aid ain't relief
                        Earthquake, the body dropped, the ground breaks
                        The poor run with smoke lungs and Scarface
                        Who need a hero? (Hero)
                        You need a hero, look in the mirror, there go your hero
                        Who on the front lines at ground zero? (Hero)
                        My heart don't skip a beat, even when hard times bumps the needle
                        Mass destruction and mass corruption
                        The souls of sufferin' men
                        Clutchin' on deaf ears again, rapture is comin'
                        It's all prophecy and if I gotta be sacrificed for the greater good
                        Then that's what it gotta be

Black Panther is one of my favourite movies of all-time and the way this song so succinctly captures the perspective of anti-hero/villain Erik Killmonger is just everything, Kendrick's raw, impassioned verses are a perfect contrast to the Weeknd's polished chorus. "Pray for Me" really synergises the strengths of both parties: Kendrick's incredible lyrical prowess, and the Weeknd's vocals and killer production squad.
                        Code:
                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 141
                        094. One Direction - Drag Me Down

I've got fire for a heart, I'm not scared of the dark
                        You've never seen it look so easy
                        I got a river for a soul, and baby, you're a boat
                        Baby, you're my only reason

The boys' last lead single, "Drag Me Down" marked the beginning of the end of an incredible era for music's finest boy band. There's such great lyrics in the verses, really inspiring and uplifting, and even though they've had bigger productions and catchier choruses, I just find myself returning to this one time and time again. Honestly, even I think it's weird that I like It so much, but my ears just can't get enough of it. It felt like a beautiful thank you letter to the fans and it really helped send them off with a bang.
                        Code:
                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 142
                        093. Christina Aguilera - Lift Me Up

So the pain begins
                        As the music fades
                        And I'm left here with
                        With more than I can take
                        If you lift me up
                        Just get me through this night
                        I know I'll rest tomorrow
                        And I'll be strong enough to try

I love how plain the melody here is. It commands focus on the lyrics, which mean so much to me. When my spirit's broken and I don't feel like there's anything left to give, I put this on and just lounge in my melancholy until I rebuild my resolve to take on life again. It's been with me for a good number of years, too, as evidenced by it hitting #1 on my chart in 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016. It even spent a day at #1 earlier this year, in 2020. It's my most-played Christina Aguilera song of the 2010s, but not her highest-ranking.
                        Code:
                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 261
                        092. Meghan Trainor - No

Nah to the ah to the no, no, no
                        My name is no, my sign is no, my number is no, uh
                        You need to let it go, uh
                        Need to let it go, uh
                        Nah to the ah to the, no, no, no
                        My name is no, my sign is no, my number is no
                        Need to let it go, uh
                        Nah to the ah to the no, no, no

"No" has the awesomeness of Destiny's Child concentrated in a singular pop artist. I love the R&B overtones, love the message, love the chorus. This is catchy pop/R&B greatness, fiery, fierce, and instantly iconic. No one expected this after her enormously successful, pop-heavy debut era, and I love when artists can hit such surprise home-runs.
                        Code:
                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 100
                        091. Carly Rae Jepsen - Love Again

Open up your heart to the ceiling
                        Don't you know it hurts for a reason
                        Time will take you back to believing
                        You'll learn to love again
                        Somewhere out there someone is breathing
                        Just for you their heart keeps on beating
                        Time will take you back to believing

"Love Again" actually makes me tear up how uplifting and unabashedly optimistic it is. It's dazzling pop, 80s-inspired, fresh, starry and sleek, and criminally underrated.
                        Code:
                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 201

Comment

• 090. Carrie Underwood - Chaser

Yeah, boy, you're nothing but a chaser
                          And it cuts me like a razor
                          And you ain't doin' me any kind of favors tonight
                          You can follow her tracks; you can try to win her back
                          Put the miles on your tires 'til you run out of gas
                          I'm done letting you be my heartbreaker
                          So go ahead and chase her

One of Carrie Underwood's most lethal album tracks, "Chaser" is defeat without dishonour and a resignation with respite. The key here is Carrie's delivery. She's sincere as she encourages her ex to pursue the other lady (or ladies) of interest. It's taken time, but she's well into the healing process here. The "chaser/chaser" wordplay is simple, but brilliant.
                          Code:
                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 193
                          089. Chris Brown - Don't Think They Know (feat. Aaliyah)

I don't think they know the truth, say it ain't so
                          I don't think they know, how could they know?
                          I don't think they know the truth, say it ain't so
                          I don't think they know, how could they know?
                          Don't listen to, how could they know?
                          What people say, how could they know?
                          They don't know about, how could they know?
                          'Bout you and me, how could they know?
                          At my best you love me
                          Yeah, yeah, yeah
                          They don't know about us, they don't know about it ('Bout it)
                          Even or at my worst
                          Yeah, yeah, yeah
                          And I know that it's different, feels like we're best friends, we connected
                          What did I do to deserve you?
                          Yeah, yeah, yeah
                          I do more than sing
                          I model now, acting now (Ooh, yeah)
                          Plus I got my own movie now

The fifth and final entry from Chris Brown, "Don't Think They Know" is a sleek R&B mid-tempo bop that really taps into the strengths of both acts. It feels like a genuine duet and that's something that so many artists have failed to do in their Aaliyah tributes over the years. It's not a simple copy/paste of her vocals and I love the natural back and forth of the CB/Aaliyah vocals here. Their voices both ride the melody with ease. This is one of those rare, 'cool' love songs. Aaliyah's been sampled ad nauseum by R&B and hip/hop artists since her premature passing, but there's never been an interpolation of her vocals or melodies as awesome as this one; CB really resurrects her in a brilliant way here, which is much-appreciated on my end. This should've been a massive hit, but the GP fumbled.
                          Code:
                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 153
                          088. Mariah Carey - Caution

Never too late, you can come through
                          I'll be up waiting
                          I don't want nobody but you
                          No hesitating
                          'Cause every time you leave I fall apart
                          Boy you're the missing pieces of my heart
                          And I try to let you go but you resist and pull me back
                          And I try to be alone but you persist, I've met my match
                          Proceed with caution, don't be dishonest
                          I need you closer to love me harder
                          Proceed with caution, face to face
                          And touch me in a different kind of way
                          Proceed with caution, but don't make me wait
                          Before too long it just might fade away
                          Proceed with caution, caution, caution, caution, caution

The lambs will fight me on this, but "Caution" is Mimi's sexiest song. The breathy whispers, the late night dalliance innuendos, the sultry melody and production; in a fair, non-ageist world, this would've been a chart-topper. It's R&B brilliance through and through, and the final of MC's eight entries on the countdown.
                          Code:
                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 238
                          087. Lady Gaga - ARTPOP

A hybrid can withstand these things
                          My heart can beat with bricks and strings
                          My ARTPOP could mean anything

I know I've quoted them above, but I just have to highlight the first two lines once more: "A hybrid can withstand these things, my heart can beat with bricks and strings." That is some poetic songwriting there, and that's not a descriptor I typically use for Gaga's lyricism. Those incredibly uplifting lyrics, paired with an amazing atmospheric production and a fantastic video (or part-video, to be more accurate), this is Gaga in true theatrical form. I play this a lot when I feel exhausted and it puts me in such a peaceful state. That "bricks and strings" line is probably in my top 5 Gaga lyrics ever, so I have no qualms putting the song on repeat just to hear that part over and over (and over).
                          Code:
                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 201
                          086. Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)

I just broke up with my ex
                          Now I’m out here single, I don’t really know what’s next
                          But I ain’t even trippin', I'mma chill and sit back
                          And I know they will be coming from the right
                          And the left, left, left

The number of phucks Ari gives about her break-up in that first verse - zip, nada, nil, none! Her trademark soft, whisper-esque vocals are a direct and perfect match with the super chill lyrics and melody. The 'lu-uh-uh-uh-uhve' breakdown in the chorus, where her vocals flutter like a butterfly, is a great touch. The whole song is just captivating and sexy, oozing effortless confidence. These are the kind of songs that literally no one else does better. It was my 'Dangerous Woman' fave for a time, too. The song even sees Lil Wayne deliver one of his decade-best verses, which was a welcome return to form for the hip/hop giant, who's always been a bit inconsistent for me with his raps.
                          Code:
                          Plays Since 1/1/2012: 138

Comment

• 085. Kanye West - Power

F**k SNL and the whole cast
                            Tell them Yeezy said they can kiss my whole ass
                            More specifically, they can kiss my asshole
                            I'm an asshole? You ni**as got jokes
                            You short-minded niggas thoughts is Napoleon
                            My furs is Mongolian, my ice brought the goalies in
                            And I embody every characteristic of the egotistic
                            He knows, he's so f**king gifted
                            I just needed time alone with my own thoughts
                            Got treasures in my mind but couldn't open up my own vault
                            My childlike creativity, purity, and honesty
                            Is honestly being crowded by these grown thoughts
                            Reality is catching up with me
                            Taking my inner child, I'm fighting for custody
                            With these responsibilities that they entrusted me
                            As I look down at my diamond-encrusted piece

One of the best-produced songs of all-time, "Power" is a glorious amalgamation of production elements borrowed from rock and gospel music. Kanye really starts hitting the bars for six in verse two, but the entirety of this song is special. I love the use of those choir-esque backing vocals throughout the track. This is a complete, crystallised masterpiece of a rap song, delivered in a fashion only Ye could. It's truly Kanye West at his Kanye best.
                            Code:
                            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 83
                            084. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now
                            Said I wouldn't call, but I've lost all control and I need you now
                            And I don't know how I can do without
                            I just need you now

"Need You Now" just reeks of classicness. The broken phone dialogue, the melody led by those brilliant guitar strings, the emotional and vulnerable verses, that soaring chorus, the back and forth male/female vocals; this was everything and it's aged like fine wine. I love it so much more now than I did back in 2010. Interestingly enough, the three days it spent atop my daily chart were in November 2019, so it took a full decade to really connect with me. I also read somewhere about it being the most-downloaded country song in US history, it won a bucketload of awards, and I think it'll certainly be revered as a classic sometime in the not-too-distant future.
                            Code:
                            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 84
                            083. Lady Gaga - Shallow

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
                            Whoah
                            I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in
                            I'll never meet the ground
                            Crash through the surface, where they can't hurt us
                            We're far from the shallow now

Gaga's bellow here could launch a thousand ships. It is literally everything and the way the song builds to it is just incredible. It's arguably the best vocal performance of Gaga's career and certainly returned her to commercial prominence.
                            Code:
                            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 331
                            082. Destra - Lucy

There's no place I'd rather be
                            Then in a fete havin' a time
                            For those who have eyes to see
                            Mi acting up and winin' loose
                            All down on di ground
                            Wukkin', wukkin' up mi bottom and it
                            Draggin. draggin all ova town
                            And dey say I Lucy
                            I never meant to be this way
                            Is the Bacchanal inside of meh (Aw yeah)
                            When I come on ah stage, gettin' on bad
                            You know I loose
                            When I drop it hawt
                            An I winin' on top di speaker box
                            An I grindin' an I don't want to stop
                            And dey call me Lucy
                            I looser than... Lucy
                            I sweeter than... juicey
                            Dis carnival have meh so damn loose, hey
                            Get loose, ah weh yuh get loose
                            Get loose, ah weh yuh get loose
                            Get loose, ah weh yuh
                            Loosen yuh waist kill dem wid di pace

When you look at my daily chart, you might miss any evidence of West Indian influence, largely because I'm not a big fan of a lot of the genres popular within the Caribbean - soca, dancehall, reggae. However, excellence is excellence, and the toast of West Indian music of the new millennium, the queen of soca (and bacchanal), Destra, came through with the best song of her storied career. "Lucy" captures the wildness, the energy, the exhilaration of that Carnival culture that millions of West Indian folk celebrate. Destra is a killer vocalist and her voice is in fine form here. This, however, is unabashedly a 'for the road' anthem, and despite my shamefully pathetic dance skills, I can't help but wuk my waist (to the best of my limited ability) when this comes on.
                            Code:
                            Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #2
                            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 105
                            081. Jennifer Hudson - Where You At

You said when the storm came
                            That you would be there with your umbrella to block the rain
                            And you said you'd protect me
                            From heartache, pain, lies, loneliness, and misery
                            You said you'll tear down the walls
                            That were in the way
                            You promised things would be okay
                            And I stood there in the freezing cold
                            And I waited for ya, but you never showed

I know that R. Kelly is cancelled, but this song, written by him in almost poetic prose, is everything, and the way Jennifer brings to life the betrayal, the hurt, the disappointment of not being viewed as worthy enough for her significant other to show up for her, it's a deep, cutting kind of emotion that just brings me to tears. This is simple R&B music, sung by one of the great soul singers of the new millennium, that I imagine most people would gloss over, but its simplicity belies its brilliance - lyrically, vocally, melodically, the overall construction of this is immaculate.
                            Code:
                            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 112

Comment

• Pray For Me is such a great Song, same for Shallow. I also like Power from the last two batches
                              Personal Chart

Comment

Pray For Me is such a great Song, same for Shallow. I also like Power from the last two batches
                                Glad you like those three.

Comment

• 080. Trey Songz - Bottoms Up (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Yo, could I get that 'Trón? Could I get that Remy?
                                  Could I get that Coke? Could I get that Henny?
                                  Could I get that margarita on the rock rock rocks?
                                  Could I get that salt all around that rim rim rim rim?
                                  Trey, I was like "Yo, Trey"
                                  Do you think you could buy me a bottle of Rosé?
                                  Okay, let's get it now
                                  I'm with a bad bitch, he's with his friends
                                  I don't say "Hi", I say "keys to the Benz"
                                  Keys to the Benz? Keys to the Benz
                                  Mother****in' right, yeah, V to the 10
                                  If a bitch tryna get cute I'ma stomp her
                                  Throw a lot of money at her then yell "F**k her!
                                  F**k her! F**k her!", then yell, "F**k her!"
                                  Then I'ma go get my Louisville Slugger
                                  Excuse me, I'm sorry, I'm really such a lady
                                  I rep Young Money, you know Slim, Baby?
                                  And we be doin' donuts while we wavin' the .380
                                  We give a lot of money to the babies out in Haiti
                                  Yellin' all around the world
                                  Do you hear me? Do you like my body?
                                  Anna Nicki
                                  Rest in peace to Anna Nicole Smith
                                  Yes, my dear, you're so explosive
                                  Say "Hi" to Mary, Mary and Joseph
                                  Now bottoms up and double my dosage

The Trey Songz portions of this song are good and would constitute a slightly above-average R&B club bop...but then Onika steps in and completely upends the vibe, the tables, the quality, everything. Up to this point of her career, it was her most exciting verse, as she showed off her rapid-fire flow, intriguing multi-character delivery, and insane bars. It's a thoroughly classic moment and showed why Onika had a more impactful year in 2010 than any other emcee in any singular calendar year in hip/hop history.
                                  Code:
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 41
                                  079. Christina Aguilera - Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)

You know you really wanna (Hey), wanna taste my (Woohoo)
                                  You know you wanna get a peek, wanna see my (Woohoo)
                                  You know you wanna put your lips where my hips are (Woohoo)
                                  Kiss on my (Woohoo), all over my (Woohoo)
                                  All the boys think it's cake when they taste my (Woohoo)
                                  You don't even need a plate, just your face, ha (Woohoo)
                                  Licky-licky yum-yum, what a great guy (Woohoo)
                                  Now kiss on my (Woohoo) all over my (Woohoo)
                                  Kiss on my, all over my
                                  Kiss on my, all over my
                                  Okay, guess who got that mhm-mhm nani-nani (Woohoo)
                                  In the Mondrian, mhm-mhm, in Miami (Woohoo)
                                  Who's Galliano, whip-whip the Armani (Woohoo)
                                  When it drip-drip, lick-lick like a lolly (Woohoo)
                                  Or, left from Jamaica, go a foreign pan tour (Woohoo)
                                  Jimmy Iovine, Tom Whalley and Lyor (Woohoo)
                                  Keep me and Chrissy in Christian Dior (Woohoo)
                                  But that was before (Woohoo), or, for you
                                  My name Nicki, little daddy, and you? (Woohoo)
                                  You can do anything you put your mind to (Woohoo)
                                  Way you French kiss it, "Français, parlez-vous?" (Woohoo)
                                  Way you work your tongue, can I hire you? (Woohoo)

"Woohoo" is fun dance-pop music done exquisitely. The melody has these little quirky elements that are so fun, the lyrics are sexually charged and just the epitome of seductive teasing, and the Onika feature, as one would expect, is a high-calibre, rap excellence. I applaud Christina for still being able to take charge of this song, as Onika has a tendency to upstage acts on songs where she's the featured bar assassin, but that doesn't happen here. Both ladies slay their parts and complement each other superbly.The way the GP paid dust to the 'Bionic' era ranks up there with one of their most egregious offences.
                                  Code:
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 59
                                  078. Jessie J - Bang Bang (feat. Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj)

She might'a let you hold her hand in school
                                  But I'ma show you how to graduate (Mm-hmm)
                                  No, I don't need to hear you talk the talk
                                  Just come and show me what your momma gave ya, baby
                                  I heard you've got a very big (Shhh)
                                  Mouth but don’t say a thing

Well, look at this - the third Nicki Minaj feature in a row! "Bang Bang" took ages to grow on me, but eventually did because all three ladies do a fine job here on their respective parts. You have two fantastic vocalists in Jessie and Ari, one with a big, powerful, roaring kind of power balladeer delivery, then Ari with her more elastic, colourful, rangy, Barbie-esque kind of voice, and the queen of rap added for good measure. This is "Lady Marmalade"...but better. The melody is grand and overwhelming, as well as a bit wild and messy, but that somehow works in the context of the lyrics. Interestingly enough, as much as I love all the ladies' contributions here, Ari's verse is the standout.
                                  Code:
                                  Year Released: 2014
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 95
                                  077. Christina Aguilera - Not Myself Tonight

I'm out of character
                                  I'm in rare form
                                  And if you really knew me
                                  You know it's not the norm
                                  'Cause I'm doing things that I normally won't do
                                  The old me's gone, I feel brand new
                                  And if you don't like it, f**k you
                                  The music's on and I'm dancing (Hey)
                                  I'm normally in the corner just standing (Hey)
                                  I'm feeling unusual
                                  I don't care 'cause this my night
                                  I'm not myself tonight
                                  Tonight I'm not the same girl, same girl
                                  I'm not myself tonight
                                  Tonight I'm not the same girl, same girl

I don't get why people hate this song. It has this great, fun message of just being someone different for a night, escaping maybe some of the burdens and responsibilities of your daily life and really just letting go. I even like its video, which was panned for its "Bad Romance" similarities (I don't think the two are 'that' similar, honestly). I know I've certainly tapped into this song's energy on my clubbing nights. This shouldn't have flopped the way it did. The GP really did Christina dirrty.
                                  Code:
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 88
                                  076. P!nk - Raise Your Glass

Party crasher, panty snatcher
                                  Call me up if you're gangsta
                                  Don't be fancy, just get dancy
                                  Why so serious?
                                  So raise your glass if you are wrong
                                  In all the right ways, all my underdogs
                                  We will never be, never be anything but loud
                                  And nitty, gritty, dirty, little freaks
                                  Won't you come on and come on and
                                  Raise your glass
                                  Just come on and come on and
                                  Raise your glass

Yeah, that's not a typo. "Raise Your Glass" really spent 20 days atop my daily chart, the most of any song on the countdown thus far (19 of those days at #1 were between the second week in October 2010 and the second week in December 2010, which gave it the most successful chart run of any song in that busy Q4 period of 2010). This was another song that came at the helm of the big media publicity on young gay men committing suicide because of bullying from terrible human-beings. "Raise Your Glass" has this great message of embracing all those little quirks that make you stand out, the scars that you might view as ugly that add character and speak to your strength. It's anthemic, it's unapologetic, it's fierce and uplifting. It came right when I needed it, so I probably consider it a better song than it is (there's something about that line - "You are wrong in all the right ways" - that meant so much to me then, and still does now). I also suspect that the "Why so serious?" bit was a shout-out to Heath Ledger, who had passed two years prior to the song's release, and had garnered so much critical praise for his portrayal of the legendary Joker character. The personal connection I have to the track makes it the highest of seven entries from P!nk in this 2010s wrap-up.
                                  Code:
                                  Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(20)
                                  Plays Since 1/1/2012: 136

Comment

• We reach level six in the significance ranking with this batch.

075. G.R.L. - Lighthouse

When it gets real, just know that I'll be there
                                    I got your back, like it's just you and me here
                                    I'll go to war for you, let them bring it
                                    I'll take on the world for you, better believe it
                                    So if you need me, just call out my name
                                    We ain't ever scared, no we're not afraid
                                    Whenever, whatever, know I'm down for life
                                    I'm your ride-or-die
                                    When the night gets cold and the lights go out
                                    The sun is gone behind the clouds
                                    And you feel lost and I reach out
                                    To guide you home with my lighthouse

In September 2014, Simone Battle, one of the G.R.L. members, lost her battle with depression and committed suicide. Four months later, her bandmates recorded this as a tribute to their fallen sister. I absolutely fall to pieces when I play this. Suicide is such a terrible way for a young talent to go. We live in a world that’s so callous and cold, and the warmth and kindness in this song, the way the girls pledge to be a lighthouse in the midst of someone's storm, to guide them back to themselves, to strength, to peace. It's everything.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 150
                                    074. Clean Bandit - Baby (feat. Marina & Luis Fonsi)

But I'm already someone else's (C'mon)
                                    Baby, ah
                                    Baby, ah

Marina's delivery here is immaculate, the melody is perfect, the video is ace. It's a classic Clean Bandit production through and through, but the way Marina sells the story here…I was not ready, I was not prepared. She breaks down the hook in raw syllabic form, adjusts her vocal to a higher key, and creates pure auditory magic. It's smooth, string-led elegant dance-pop greatness.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 115
                                    073. Florence + the Machine - Delilah

'Cause I'm gonna be free and I'm gonna be fine
                                    (Holding on for your call)
                                    'Cause I'm gonna be free and I'm gonna be fine
                                    But maybe not tonight
                                    Too fast for freedom
                                    Sometimes it all falls down
                                    These chains never leave me
                                    I keep dragging them around

I love the lyrics here so much, it really speaks to how we sometimes rush to finish things or try to speed up a process, and end up arriving a destination underprepared. Or perhaps reaching a milestone in a journey, expecting that it's the the final touchpoint, and realising that that's not the case. It's a relatable message for me for sure. And, of course, because it's Florence, you can expect grade A, scaling vocals, and a brilliant, celestial melody that lifts the song to the stratosphere.
                                    Code:
                                    Significance Rating: 6/20
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 237
                                    072. Kelly Rowland - Commander (feat. David Guetta)

I feel like the DJ is my bodyguard
                                    You see the way he keeps me safe
                                    With the treble and that bass
                                    I feel free enough to party hard
                                    This dress won't go to waste
                                    Feels like I own the place, yeah
                                    V.I.P to be the boss
                                    You see the way these people stare
                                    Watching how I fling my hair
                                    I'm a dance floor lover
                                    Baby there's no other
                                    Who do it like I do it, yeah

Kelly R's best song, I was so obsessed with this when it came out. I always find it intriguing when R&B stars take on these dance anthems, as they typically approach it not too dissimilarly as they would a more in-the-vein R&B club bop or ballad, which means big vocals surfing a dance beat, and when that dance beat comes courtesy of David Guetta, you can expect it to be a pretty...gnarly wave. The verses are actually pretty stellar, too. They're well-written and Kelly's vocal pacing is like a deliberate, confident strut. The GP ate up "When Love Takes Over" when this is light-years better.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 45
                                    071. Katy Perry - Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J)

I knew you were, you were gonna come to me
                                    And here you are, but you better choose carefully
                                    'Cause I, I'm capable of anything
                                    Of anything, and everything
                                    Make me your Aphrodite
                                    Make me your one and only
                                    But don't make me your enemy (Enemy)
                                    Your enemy (Your enemy), your enemy
                                    So you wanna play with magic?
                                    Boy, you should know what you're fallin' for
                                    Baby, do you dare to do this?
                                    'Cause I'm coming at you like a dark horse
                                    Are you ready for, ready for
                                    A perfect storm, perfect storm?
                                    'Cause once you're mine, once you're mine
                                    There's no going back
                                    She's a beast, I call her Karma (Come back)
                                    She eat your heart out like Jeffrey Dahmer (Woo!)
                                    Be careful, try not to lead her on
                                    Shawty's heart is on steroids, 'cause her love is so strong
                                    You may fall in love when you meet her (Meet her)
                                    If you get the chance, you better keep her (Keep her)
                                    She's sweet as pie, but if you break her heart
                                    She turn cold as a freezer (Freezer)
                                    That fairy tale ending with a knight in shining armor
                                    She can be my sleeping beauty, I'm gon' put her in a coma (Woo!)
                                    Damn, I think I love her, shawty's so bad, I'm sprung and I don't care
                                    She ride me like a roller coaster, turn the bedroom into a fair (A fair)
                                    Her love is like a drug, I was tryna hit it and quit it
                                    But lil mama so dope, I messed around and got addicted

That trap/pop beat is one of the sickest things I've ever heard in music. Most of my song recommendations to my sister are a tough sell as she views my music taste to be cookie-cutter, Disney-level, basic pop, but even she was obsessed with this for a time. I also applaud Juicy J for giving a pretty great rap verse, much better than the average bars you get from the rent-a-rapper directory pop stars typically turn to for an 'urban add' to their music. This was so much better than its predecessor single, but not quite the greatest song from the 'Prism' era.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 168

Comment

• We're getting ever-closer to the giants, as we breach both levels seven and eight in this batch!

070. Taylor Swift - Red

Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
                                      Faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly
                                      Loving him is like trying to change your mind once you're already flying through the free fall
                                      Like the colours in autumn, so bright just before they lose it all
                                      Losing him was blue like I'd never known
                                      Missing him was dark grey all alone
                                      Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met
                                      But loving him was red
                                      Loving him was red
                                      Touching him was like realizing all you ever wanted was right there in front of you
                                      Memorizing him was as easy as knowing all the words to your old favorite song
                                      Fighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there's no right answer
                                      Regretting him was like wishing you never found out that love could be that strong
                                      Remembering him comes in flashbacks and echoes
                                      Tell myself it's time now, gotta let go
                                      But moving on from him is impossible
                                      When I still see it all in my head
                                      In burning red
                                      Burning, it was red
                                      And that's why he's spinnin' 'round in my head
                                      Comes back to me, burning red
                                      Yeah, yeah
                                      His love was like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street

My early 'Red' favourite and my most-played Taylor Swift song since the start of 2012, "Red" is one of T-Swizzle's best-written songs. She does a masterful job throughout the track comparing the relationship with her ex to everything from crossword puzzles to brand new luxury vehicles. It's a brilliant way to capture the full gamut of the experience - the ease, the rush and thrill, the sadness when it all came crashing down. The modal colour being red alludes to the passion that coloured the lion's share of the experience, and there's something about still fondly being able to dial back and recount that fire that I love.
                                      Code:
                                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 281
                                      069. Sara Bareilles - Brave

You can be amazing
                                      You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
                                      You can be the outcast
                                      Or be the backlash of somebody’s lack of love
                                      Or you can start speaking up
                                      Nothing’s gonna hurt you the way that words do
                                      When they settle ‘neath your skin
                                      Kept on the inside and no sunlight
                                      Sometimes a shadow wins
                                      But I wonder what would happen if you
                                      Say what you wanna say
                                      And let the words fall out
                                      Honestly, I wanna see you be brave
                                      With what you want to say
                                      And let the words fall out
                                      Honestly, I wanna see you be brave

Okay, so maybe I haven't completely come out, but I still love this song and I think beyond it being that big coming out anthem, it's also a song that encourages us to be ourselves, and maybe we don't have to make a big announcement about it, but just being who you are authentically, maybe that's bravery enough for some folks - it is for me!
                                      Code:
                                      Significance Rating: 7/20
                                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 172
                                      068. Nicki Minaj - Good Form

I tell him eat the cookie 'cause it's good for him
                                      And when he eat the cookie he got good form
                                      He know I don't never cheat because I'm good to him
                                      Might gotta have his baby, nurses yellin' "push" for him
                                      You see I let him eat the cookie 'cause it's good for him
                                      And whenever he eat the cookie he got good form
                                      He know that when I'm pullin' up, I'm in a good foreign
                                      I be like ooh, he love me, ooh, he love me, good for him
                                      Come on, come on, come on
                                      I be like ooh, he love me, ooh, he love me, good for him
                                      Come on

So much of Minaj's music is bitter. I understand her frustration - she's undervalued as a female emcee, and has never gotten the respect from critics or her peers that she deserves, but I truly believe her best music is when she's just having fun, and that's what she does on "Good Form", with clever wordplay and lyricism, and a fluid flow, this is just another classic song from the rap queen, with grade A bars and a strong production behind it. It should've been even bigger than "Starships" and "Super Bass" since it's so much better than them, but the GP weren't having it.
                                      Code:
                                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 210
                                      067. Madonna - Ghosttown

When it all falls, when it all falls down
                                      I'll be your fire when the lights go out
                                      When there's no one, no one else around
                                      We'll be two souls in a Ghosttown
                                      When the world gets cold, I'll be your cover
                                      Let's just hold onto each other
                                      When it all falls, when it all falls down
                                      We'll be two souls in a Ghosttown

"Ghosttown" is one of Madge's career-finest ballads. It's well-written, mature, exquisitely produced. It's the kind of song you would expect from the pop queen at this stage of her reign. That pledge of loyalty and love she makes in the chorus is so sweet, it makes my heart swell. I also love the video. Post-apocalyptic love has never looked (or sounded) so romantic.
                                      Code:
                                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 277
                                      066. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

I never meant to start a war
                                      I just wanted you to let me in
                                      And instead of using force
                                      I guess I should've let you win
                                      I never meant to start a war
                                      I just wanted you to let me in
                                      I guess I should've let you win
                                      Don't you ever say I just walked away
                                      I will always want you
                                      I came in like a wrecking ball
                                      I never hit so hard in love
                                      All I wanted was to break your walls
                                      All you ever did was wreck me
                                      I came in like a wrecking ball
                                      Yeah, I just closed my eyes and swung
                                      Left me crashing in a blazing fall
                                      All you ever did was wreck me
                                      Yeah, you, you wreck me
                                      Yeah, you, you wreck me

The sixth and final Miley Cyrus entry and my most-played song of 2013, "Wrecking Ball" is an emotional power ballad, reminiscent, lyrically and sonically, of my at-one-point-in-time favourite song ever "Battlefield". I do think the discussion surrounding its bizarre, skin-baring video detracted from the conversation of this being Miley's finest single ever. She emotes well here and pushes her voice to take on some pretty big vocal moments.
                                      Code:
                                      Significance Rating: 8/20
                                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 382

Comment

• 065. Katy Perry - Walking on Air

Heaven is jealous of our love
                                        Angels are crying from up above, oh yeah
                                        Tonight (Tonight), I’m walking on air (I’m walking)
                                        I’m walking, I’m walking on air
                                        Tonight (Tonight), I’m walking on air (Yeah)
                                        I’m walking on air (I’m walking on air)
                                        Tonight (Tonight), I’m walking on air (I’m walking)
                                        I’m walking, I’m walking on air
                                        Tonight (Tonight), I’m walking on air (Oh, oh, oh, oh)
                                        I’m walking on air

My top 'Prism' track, "Walking on Air" is pure pop ecstasy. I loved it so much that it charting in my 2013 year-end countdown marked one of the rare first instances that a non-official single was deemed eligible for inclusion in such a countdown. It was that good that I couldn't imagine a year-end wrap-up that excluded it. I still find the decision to release singles like "Birthday" and "This Is How We Do" over this masterpiece one of Katy's most bewildering career decisions. Honestly, I think it would've been a superior lead single to "Roar", as it's such a natural progression from the 'Teenage Dream' era, with its bubblegum pop elements and light house influences. Having said all that, this isn't even the strongest non-single from Katy in the 2010s.
                                        Code:
                                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 212
                                        064. En Vogue - Rocket

Looking at the sky at night
                                        Little bitty circles of light
                                        You point out a constellation that you like
                                        And tell me all about it
                                        Cause you know about it
                                        And I love that you know stuff like that
                                        Love that the little things means so much
                                        That's why I'm always smiling
                                        I swear I smile my face off
                                        Let me kiss you face off
                                        Right before we take off
                                        In this rocket (of love)
                                        In this rocket (of love)
                                        And you got me so high
                                        Higher than I ever been
                                        And you got me so high
                                        Higher than I ever been
                                        Up in the stars with you
                                        Up in the stars with you
                                        Up in the stars with you
                                        Up in the stars

The hopeless romantic in me swoons when I hear this track. It's weird for an R&B group that had such a prolific career in the 90s to reunite almost 30 years later and deliver their career-best song, but that's just what happened with "Rocket". The lyrics are beautiful in their narrative of a simple but deeply passionate love that creates a sense of security and peace within the protagonist, the harmonies sublime as the three angelic voices pool their magical, soul-rich tones on the soaring chorus; it's incredible that the ladies are still in such fantastic vocal form (the same of which cannot be said for a number of their peers). This song is divine and should have seen far more success than it did.
                                        Code:
                                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 164
                                        063. Madonna - Give Me All Your Luvin' (feat. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A.)

L-U-V, Madonna
                                        Y-O-U, you wanna?

I've long held onto my stubborn belief that "Give Me All Your Luvin'" is one of Madge's career-sharpest pop jewels. It takes me back to the pure pop playfulness of her 'True Blue' sound. The "L-U-V/Y-O-U" chants are so high-energy, infectious, fun, and memorable. The way they're cleverly inserted throughout the verses is just genius, as they're never overused, but utilised just enough to really drive home the sports theme that underpins this dangerously addictive pop drug. It's the second of the pop queen's two entries in my decade-end countdown, which meant that when Madonna got it right for me this decade, she got it extremely right.
                                        Code:
                                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 164
                                        062. Lorde - Sober

We're King and Queen of the weekend
                                        Ain't a pill that could touch our rush
                                        (But what will we do when we're sober?)
                                        When you dream with a fever
                                        Bet you wish you could touch our rush
                                        These are the games of the weekend
                                        We pretend that we just don't care
                                        But we care
                                        When you dream with a fever
                                        Bet you wish you could touch our rush

This song really sets me at ease when I'm stressed for some reason. I love how the beat twists, bends, and warps endlessly. The production is so rich, rife with emotion and colour. The frenetic energy is contrasted so brilliantly by the more...sober, melancholy part two, which I almost always play right after this track. "Sober" is the fifth and final Lorde gem on the countdown.
                                        Code:
                                        Plays Since 1/1/2012: 212
                                        061. Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love

It's really late
                                        You're getting close, and the lights are off
                                        Your body's in sync to the beat of my heart
                                        And I can feel your nature rising while I wind on you
                                        Let's dance like we're making lo-o-o-o-o-o-ove
                                        Ma-a-king lo-o-o-o-ove
                                        Let's dance like we're making lo-o-o-o-o-o-ove
                                        Ma-a-king lo-o-o-o-ove
                                        Let's dance like we're making love

Sleek R&B/pop greatness, featuring gorgeous vocals from CiCi and a killer video, "Dance Like We're Making Love" is a classy, shimmering dancefloor stunner that I consider the R&B icon's career-best effort.
                                        Code:

Comment

• Here I am again. The page numbering changed for me after the password thing. SO it took me some time to figure out where I left off...
                                          • Stronger was HUGE - which was incredible considering it was a decade after Kelly won AI. I know she'd had a lot of success, but something about the longevity this established really validated her career.
                                          • Side to Side took awhile to grow on me too. It really seemed for awhile there that it would end up being Nicki's last hit feature. I feel like Nicki is what really makes that song - such crazy lyrics. I'll always remember Ellen asking Ari what a dick bicycle was on her show.
                                          • Twice! My favorite thing she's released the entire decade! Which I realize isn't saying a lot seeing how absent she was, bt I thought this was such a beautiful song. I wish it had given her some kind of traction; the lyrics as you mention, are powerful.
                                          • Aww, Style - to me, the song most emblematci of what she was going for in her 1989 album - Shake It Off was a little too precious for me, and Blank Space, while the star of the album, was dark. This was the perfect happy medium.
                                          • FEEL IT STILL <3 - Thanks for the shout-out - this song is still powerful to me - it's just been a recurrent with the kind of leadership we've had - it was perfect for the way I felt about 2017, but has only gotten more so now that we're in an election year. Hoping there's now even more people out there who feel it still come November.
                                          • Stunned to see Juice not even make the top 100 - wasn't it your 2019 year-end? Wow 2019 really wasn't your year!
                                          • I've always wondered if the Whitney shout-out was always a bit of a troll, considering how much was made of the Madonna comparison. Born This Way was an important song for several reasons, especially while we're in the midst of Pride month, and I'll always be grateful that she used a massive platform to spread that message.
                                          • Teenage Dream - I still really enjoyed Katy then. I started to really burn out on her by the time she released TGIF, but this was pure ear candy. The guy in the video was hot, btu I seem to recall from my countdown he had some allegations that she harassed him.
                                          I think I'll stop there. Maybe I will catch up eventually

Comment

• Not Myself Tonight - possibly my second favourite Xtna song after "Keeps Getting Better" with great video, it's like her "Human Nature".
                                            Red - my favourite Taylor's single.
                                            Primadonna - it's not masterpiece like "Bubblegum Bitch", but obviously a very good track from "Electra Heart".
                                            My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Here I am again. The page numbering changed for me after the password thing. SO it took me some time to figure out where I left off...
                                              Are you now seeing 40 posts per page as opposed to 25?

Stronger was HUGE - which was incredible considering it was a decade after Kelly won AI. I know she'd had a lot of success, but something about the longevity this established really validated her career.
                                              It's "You Can't Win" that I charted, not "Stronger". "You Can't Win" wasn't a single and I couldn't find a decent fan-made cover for it so I just used the artwork from the Stronger album. I actually think "Stronger" is the most overrated song in KC's catalogue.

Side to Side took awhile to grow on me too. It really seemed for awhile there that it would end up being Nicki's last hit feature. I feel like Nicki is what really makes that song - such crazy lyrics. I'll always remember Ellen asking Ari what a dick bicycle was on her show.
                                              Ari and Nicki carry the song equally for me.

Twice! My favorite thing she's released the entire decade! Which I realize isn't saying a lot seeing how absent she was, bt I thought this was such a beautiful song. I wish it had given her some kind of traction; the lyrics as you mention, are powerful.
                                              I wouldn't say Christina was terribly absent for the decade. She released three (quality!!!) studio albums and in between those had some pretty high-profile featured hits ("Moves Like Jagger", "Feel This Moment", "Say Something").

Aww, Style - to me, the song most emblematci of what she was going for in her 1989 album - Shake It Off was a little too precious for me, and Blank Space, while the star of the album, was dark. This was the perfect happy medium.
                                              It's a shame "Style" couldn't make it all the way to #1!

FEEL IT STILL <3 - Thanks for the shout-out - this song is still powerful to me - it's just been a recurrent with the kind of leadership we've had - it was perfect for the way I felt about 2017, but has only gotten more so now that we're in an election year. Hoping there's now even more people out there who feel it still come November.
                                              My 2017 year-end #1 was greatly influenced by the global political climate as well, though I think its tone isn't quite as uplifting as that within "Feel It Still"!

Stunned to see Juice not even make the top 100 - wasn't it your 2019 year-end? Wow 2019 really wasn't your year!
                                              Yeah, I remember in your decade-end wrap-up you making a similar statement about 2019 being a comparatively weak year in music for you, and I remember laughing because you had "Higher Love" ranked fairly high, and I thought, "Wait 'til he sees how much I loathed 2019 (comparatively, of course).

I've always wondered if the Whitney shout-out was always a bit of a troll, considering how much was made of the Madonna comparison. Born This Way was an important song for several reasons, especially while we're in the midst of Pride month, and I'll always be grateful that she used a massive platform to spread that message.
                                              Well, I think parts of "Born This Way" lend themselves to a level of vocal prowess that Madonna couldn't pull off, so the Whitney shout-out made sense to me in that vein.

Teenage Dream - I still really enjoyed Katy then. I started to really burn out on her by the time she released TGIF, but this was pure ear candy. The guy in the video was hot, btu I seem to recall from my countdown he had some allegations that she harassed him.
                                              Yeah, I think you wrote there that she pantsed him at a party.

I think I'll stop there. Maybe I will catch up eventually
                                              Maybe.

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                              Not Myself Tonight - possibly my second favourite Xtna song after "Keeps Getting Better" with great video, it's like her "Human Nature".
                                              Red - my favourite Taylor's single.
                                              Primadonna - it's not masterpiece like "Bubblegum Bitch", but obviously a very good track from "Electra Heart".
                                              Hmm...I don't think I've ever seen a "Human Nature"/"Not Myself Tonight" comparison before, but I can see some parallels.

Glad you love "Red". It's underrated!

Ooh, "Bubblegum Bitch" is a bop! It was an early Electra Heart fave of mine.

Comment

• We 'level up' again with this next batch.

060. Naughty Boy - Runnin' (Lose It All) (feat. Beyoncé & Arrow Benjamin)

These four lonely walls have changed the way I feel
                                                The way I feel, I'm standing still
                                                And nothing else matters now, you're not here
                                                So where are you? I've been callin' you, I'm missin' you
                                                Where else can I go? Where else can I go?
                                                Chasin' you, chasin' you
                                                Memories turn to dust, please don't bury us
                                                I got you, I got you
                                                If I lose myself, I lose it all

Full credit to Naughty Boy for his work on the production and Arrow Benjamin for his competent vocal performance, but this song really belongs to Queen B. She's first up to bat and delivers such a captivating vocal, really drilling in the emotional depth of the lyrics with soul and passion. One of the cool things we got from Beyoncé in the 2010s was more frequent collaborations than we'd seen from her in the 2000s, and this was certainly one of her best featured appearances, though there's a super obvious one that's a fair bit higher.
                                                Code:
                                                059. Little Mix - Wings

Mama told me not to waste my life
                                                She said "Spread your wings my little butterfly"
                                                Don't let what they say keep you up at night
                                                And they can't detain you cause wings are made to fly
                                                And we don't let nobody bring us down
                                                No matter what you say, it won't hurt me
                                                Don't matter if I fall from the sky
                                                These wings are made to fly

I've had a love affair with girl groups since my childhood. From my mother's beloved Supremes to my sister's heroes in Destiny's Child, I do feel like there was a bit of a dry spell in my youth with current girl groups, but that's not because of a lack of talent. Little Mix, easily the finest girl group of the 2010s, stormed out of the gates with their debut single proper (I'm excluding "Cannonball" as I view that more as a coronation anthem) with this phenomenal stew of funk, pop, soul, and R&B. It's such a fiery, uplifting, defiant anthem, and the girls' vocals really do lift the chorus to stratospheric heights. And the instrumentation is just brilliant! I play this a lot when I have interactions with terrible human-beings, or a bad day at work (due in large part to those aforementioned interactions).
                                                Code:
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 137
                                                058. Selena Gomez & the Scene - My Dilemma

You make me so upset sometimes
                                                I feel like I could lose my mind
                                                The conversation goes nowhere
                                                'Cause you're never gonna take me there
                                                And I know what I know
                                                And I know you're no good for me
                                                Yeah, I know what I know
                                                And I know it's not meant to be
                                                Here's my dilemma:
                                                One half of me wants ya
                                                And the other half wants to forget
                                                My-my-my dilemma from the moment I met ya
                                                I just can't get you outta my head
                                                And I tell myself to run from you
                                                But I find myself attracted to my dilemma
                                                My dilemma, it's you, it's you
                                                Your eyes have told a thousand lies
                                                But I believe them when they look in mine
                                                I heard the rumors, but you won't come clean
                                                I guess I'm hoping it's because of me
                                                Oh, I could live without you
                                                Your smile, your eyes, the way you make me feel inside
                                                I could live without you
                                                But I don't wanna, I don't wanna, oh
                                                Oh, you make me so upset sometimes
                                                (Here's my dilemma, oh oh)

Here's another one of those instances where the whole song is do damn good, I'm left quoting the entire set of lyrics as the highlight. Post-Scene, I've levelled harsh criticisms Selena's way concerning the quality of her output. Barring a handful of singles like "Kill Em with Kindness", I really haven't been vibing with Selena's solo work, and that may be due to how much I loved her work with the Scene. This, for me, is her greatest song and I doubt she'll ever top it. It's riddled with that teenage melodrama that so many young pop artists have in their music, but that doesn't make the narrative any less accessible, in my view. I think everyone can relate to the lyrics, and when they're sung over an addictive a beat as this one, it's nearly impossible to resist.
                                                Code:
                                                Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(13)
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 115
                                                057. Kristen Bell & Idina Menzel - For the First Time in Forever

Anna, please go back home, your life awaits
                                                Go enjoy the sun and open up the gates (Yeah, but —)
                                                I know
                                                You mean well, but leave me be
                                                Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free
                                                Just stay away and you'll be safe from me
                                                Sure you can! I know you can!
                                                'Cause for the first time in forever (Oh I'm such a fool, I can't be free!)
                                                You don’t have to be afraid (No escape from the storm inside of me)
                                                We can work this out together (I can’t control the curse!)
                                                We’ll reverse the storm you’ve made (Anna, please, you’ll only make it worse!)
                                                Don’t panic (There’s so much fear!)
                                                We’ll make the sun shine bright (You’re not safe here!)
                                                We can face this thing together (No!)
                                                We can change this winter weather (Ahhh...)
                                                And everything will be all right (I can't!)

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but Frozen is by a considerable margin my favourite Disney film of all-time. I connected deeply with Elsa's character and the contrast between Anna's optimism and Elsa's realism in the reprise of this song is just everything to me. I feel like both parts exist within me and I sometimes struggle with certain decisions that create conflict between those two parts.
                                                Code:
                                                Significance Rating: 9/20
                                                Year Released: 2014
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 298
                                                056. Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday

Why didn’t you wake me up?
                                                I’m pretty sure I would have told you to stop
                                                Lets try again and say goodbye
                                                Goodbye to yesterday

I didn't think I would find an ESC song I loved as much as I loved "Rise Like a Phoenix", so when the contest rolled 'round the following year, and I became so enamoured with "Goodbye to Yesterday", I was shocked. It's Elina's voice that does it for me. The song's melody is this smooth indie-pop stream of instrumentation, and Stig does a decent job as the male counterpart, but Elina sounds angelic. She's got such a pretty voice that I kept coming back really for her parts.
                                                Code:
                                                Significance Rating: 9/20
                                                Plays Since 1/1/2012: 122

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                  Are you now seeing 40 posts per page as opposed to 25?
                                                  30 per page, I preferred the 25 posts per page, but I'll get used to it

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                  It's "You Can't Win" that I charted, not "Stronger". "You Can't Win" wasn't a single and I couldn't find a decent fan-made cover for it so I just used the artwork from the Stronger album. I actually think "Stronger" is the most overrated song in KC's catalogue.

Anyhow, I'll post a few more!
                                                  • Finally about to cross into the top 100! Two Adele songs just falling short - Hello was inescapable for awhile there, which I feel diminished its impact, but I'll never forget how energized it was when that album came out. I think I admire the song/album because I'm pretty sure it's the last of an era sales-wise - no way Adele will pull in those numbers whenever she decides to release 73 Million Years Ago us probably my favorite non-single.
                                                  • Pray For Me was such a perfect match for Black Panther - it sounds like definitely something I'd expect to hear in Wakanda.
                                                  • No had such a cute chorus, but I don't think I've listened to it since it was charting.
                                                  • Gave Chaser another listen - it's wrapping up as I type this - and that is a gem from her. You submitting her to Leo's contest has given me a greater appreciation of her. I've let go of any lingering bitterness over Bo Bice's career.
                                                  • Caution being her top song of the decade for both of us. (tho Oh Santa might have gotten more play than any of her 2010 songs over the accumulation of all the Christmases )
                                                  • I think I've heard ARTPOP a bunch of times, but I've never let the weight of that lyric sink in. I'll be listening to it with different ears next time.
                                                  OK, getting closer! Until next time, Akini

Comment

30 per page, I preferred the 25 posts per page, but I'll get used to it
                                                    Ah, 30 is an odd number (not mathematically, but practically).

Finally about to cross into the top 100! Two Adele songs just falling short - Hello was inescapable for awhile there, which I feel diminished its impact, but I'll never forget how energized it was when that album came out. I think I admire the song/album because I'm pretty sure it's the last of an era sales-wise - no way Adele will pull in those numbers whenever she decides to release 73 Million Years Ago us probably my favorite non-single.
                                                    Agreed! I still expect her to have a million-plus first week for her next LP, but 25 really decimated records in a middling sales climate, and you gotta have some level of respect for that degree of broad appeal.

Pray For Me was such a perfect match for Black Panther - it sounds like definitely something I'd expect to hear in Wakanda.
                                                    Yep! I'm sure Kendrick fans would have my head for saying this, but I think it's the second-best song he's been involved in.

No had such a cute chorus, but I don't think I've listened to it since it was charting.
                                                    I was so obsessed with it when I first heard it! I remember dancing in the kitchen and my mother wondering what in heavens had possessed me.

Gave Chaser another listen - it's wrapping up as I type this - and that is a gem from her. You submitting her to Leo's contest has given me a greater appreciation of her. I've let go of any lingering bitterness over Bo Bice's career.
                                                    Same with you and Bonnie Raitt!

Ha, what's the Bo Bice connection? I checked and I didn't see any ties to Colorado.

Caution being her top song of the decade for both of us. (tho Oh Santa might have gotten more play than any of her 2010 songs over the accumulation of all the Christmases )
                                                    Yeah, I think it's a fairly random, unpopular pick for top Mimi song of the decade, which is why I was so happy that it was yours as well!

I think I've heard ARTPOP a bunch of times, but I've never let the weight of that lyric sink in. I'll be listening to it with different ears next time.
                                                    Yeah, it's really powerful, in my opinion!

OK, getting closer! Until next time, Akini
                                                    Ha, one batch at a time!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X