Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [2-1!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Diamonds is beautiful and already a classic.
    Telephone is nice.
    Glad you also love "Diamonds"!

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    Diamonds stays classy and Telephone is still a banger.

GIAW is so overrated on here IMO.
    It's a very diva-ish song and that's a style a lot of 'Mixers love.
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• 007. Adele - Rolling in the Deep

There's a fire starting in my heart
      Reaching a fever pitch, it's bringing me out the dark
      Finally I can see you crystal clear
      Go 'head and sell me out and I'll lay your shit bare
      See how I leave with every piece of you
      Don't underestimate the things that I will do
      There's a fire starting in my heart
      Reaching a fever pitch
      And it's bringing me out the dark
      The scars of your love remind me of us
      They keep me thinking that we almost had it all
      The scars of your love, they leave me breathless
      I can't help feeling
      We could have had it all

(You're gonna wish you never had met me)
      Rolling in the deep
      (Tears are gonna fall, rolling in the deep)
      You had my heart inside of your hand
      And you played it, to the beat
      Baby, I have no story to be told
      But I've heard one on you
      And I'm gonna make your head burn
      Think of me in the depths of your despair
      Make a home down there
      As mine sure won't be shared

The scars of your love remind me of us
      They keep me thinking that we almost had it all
      The scars of your love, they leave me breathless
      I can't help feeling
      We could have had it all
      Rolling in the deep
      And you played it, to the beat
      We could have had it all
      Rolling in the deep
      But you played it, with a beating

"We could have had it all." Oftentimes, my love for a song is built around a singular lyric or melodic moment, and "We could have had it all" is the pivotal moment in "Rolling in the Deep" that does it for me. That line precedes the avalanche of emotion that comes crashing down in the form of the song's passionate chorus. It captures so brilliantly and succinctly the basis of Adele's frustrations on this track - the fact that there was so much potential in the relationship and her lover's squandered the connection, the chemistry, the trust and security. Even when I look back at my past situationships, there is sometimes a sense of wonder as to the opportunities lost through poor communication, a reluctance for vulnerability, and a lack of bravery to admit true feelings. The "What if?" realm is such a dangerous place to reside - as I highlighted in my "Better Man" write-up - but much like Little Big Town did on their song, Adele indulges (briefly) in that toxic space as a necessary step on her way to washing herself clean from the relationship. The synchronicity of the backing vocals with the main vocal is magical and really gives the frustration in this song a two-pronged outlet. The lyrics are phenomenal, the production is terrific, everything about "Rolling in the Deep" is excellence (save perhaps for that final verse that I consider just a wee subpar). It is undoubtedly already a classic. I don't think Adele will top this, but, honestly, she doesn't need to.
      Code:
      Significance Rating: 20/20
      Year Released: 2011
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(14)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 470
      006. Carrie Underwood - Blown Away

Dry lightning cracks across the skies
      Those storm clouds gather in her eyes
      Her daddy was a mean old mister
      Mama was an angel in the ground
      The weather man called for a twister
      She prayed blow it down
      There's not enough rain in Oklahoma
      To wash the sins out of that house
      There's not enough wind in Oklahoma
      To rip the nails out of the past
      Shatter every window 'til it's all blown away,
      Every brick, every board, every slamming door blown away
      'Til there's nothing left standing, nothing left of yesterday
      Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away,
      Blown away
      She heard those sirens screaming out
      Her daddy laid there passed out on the couch
      She locked herself in the cellar
      Listened to the screaming of the wind
      Some people call it taking shelter
      She called it sweet revenge

2012 was my favourite year in music of the 2010s - I'll produce statistics later this week to show by just how much - so it is not at all insignificant that "Blown Away" was my year-end #1 then and is my top 2012 song on this countdown. It's a thrilling story, arguably Carrie's most exciting yet. In verse one, Carrie makes it clear that "her daddy was a mean old mister", so the listeners are already sold on the protagonist's father being the villain, but there's subtext invited in the next line that suggests that the mother's death was due in some part to the father's actions. There's a whole lot of history in that house and Carrie wanting the fast-approaching tornado to "blow it down" seems reasonable. Her abandoning her unconscious father and seeking refuge in the cellar for herself is a powerful decision, but it also makes sense that she'd want him blown away with all of the terrible memories. Interestingly enough, in composing the write-up for this track, I decided to check out to see if the protagonist in this story would actually be liable for murder or any other criminal charges, and as per Popdust's analysis, it seems that, given certain conditions, such as whether the house in question was in the name of the father or the protagonist, under Oklahoma law, she's good to go! As for my personal connection to this song, there are certainly traumatic memories from 2012 that I wish could be blown away, so I'm certainly on-board with the message of this track. More recently, I was actually in southern Georgia on an engagement and the client made mention of a possible tornado warning. Everyone else seemed fine about the possibility, reassuring me that the sirens give enough notice and there were ample safe spaces both at the client at at the hotel where we were staying, but I was quite shooketh, to be honest. I remember playing "Blown Away" that whole day thinking that if my colleagues were wrong and my demise were to come at the hands (or rather, gusts) of a tornado, what more poetic track could I pick to accompany the event?
      Code:
      Year Released: 2012
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(25)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 785
      005. Lady Gaga - Do What U Want (feat. R. Kelly)

I feel good, I walk alone
      But then I trip over myself and I fall
      I, I stand up, and then I'm okay
      But then you print some shit
      That makes me wanna scream
      So do what you want
      What you want with my body
      Do what you want
      Don't stop, let's party
      Do what you want
      Do what you want
      Write what you want
      Say what you want 'bout me
      If you’re wondering
      Know that I'm not sorry
      Do what you want
      You can't have my heart
      And you won't use my mind but

Do what you want (with my body)
      Do what you want with my body
      You can't stop my voice cause
      You don't own my life but

Back of the club, taking shots, getting naughty
      No invitations, it's a private party
      Do what I want
      Do what I want with your body
      Do what I want
      Do what I want with your body
      Yeah, we taking these haters and we roughin' 'em up
      And we layin’ the cut like we don't give a f**k

R. Kelly is in my top 5 and I feel like I should have a better reason for that than the one I have - I honestly just love this damn song. It's not often we get a track that is equal parts dance, pop, and R&B. It's a unique, punchy dancefloor stomper for me, just passionate, soulful, and fun! I normally can't dance to songs with "passionate" and "soulful" as its descriptors, but I certainly can to this song. It's got dual-layered messages, the surface-level one about just being free and having agency over your body to do with it what you like, and a deeper layer, which JimJim clued me in on after I waxed poetic about the visible layer, about Gaga's relationship with the media, and the oftentimes boundary-crossing stories and images the media publishes of celebrities. There's another version of this song that I absolutely love, the one with Christina Aguilera. The two pop superstars performed the song on the Voice finale in 2013 and it is honestly one of my favourite live performances of all-time. Still, it's the R. Kelly version I typically circle back to. The vocals from Gaga and R. Kelly are just insane, and this song just never gets old! In 2013, I chose "Can't Hold Us" over "Do What U Want", largely because the former song had been out for much longer that year and I'd had more time with it, but "Do What U Want" is meritocratically the top 2013 song on this countdown.
      Code:
      Year Released: 2013
      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(14)
      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 667

Comment

• Pulling for the top 15!
        • I had a friend who passed in September of 2016. We traded personal charts with each other. Into You was #1 on mine the week he passed; I still wonder if he ever saw that chart because I sent it the day before he died. He was such a fan of Ari. He loved CRJ to and especially Run Away With Me. I couldn't stand it, so I was always teasing him about it. Strange to see these two back to back. It appears we've hit the 20/20 relevancy part of the list - it seemed like it ratched up fast from 12 to 20!
        • Oh wow - beginning to understand your conservative school more now if they had a problem with that S&M lyric - like they couldn't handle that but Nicki's Monster verse was ok? S&M is one of only two solo songs by RiRi that ever hit #1 on my chart (the other being Love on the Brain).
        • If I'm correct, your #1 of 2018 is still to come. I prefer GIAW - it was #2 for me that year too! And in most any other year, it would have been #1. The video was a big part, but also it felt like Ari had matured by 1000 with her Sweetener album.
        • As far as dance pop RiRi, I'll take We Found Love over Diamonds any day, but I can appreciate having a song help get you through a rough patch.
        • Aww, Telephone - #3 in the 2010s countdown - Jesus, I loved that song - makes me wish it was 2010 again - that was a hppy year and this is such a fun song. I love the "this is a disasta'" line from Bey - I still quote it every noe and then. The ringing phone as part of the music - it's a bona fide good time bop.
        • We both put RITD in our top 10 - at the time this was dominating, I thought even then - well, that's it - Adele's already won the decade and the decade's barely started. And I was almost right! I WISH Adele included more of this kind of song in 25. We really need to see more that bitch side from her - though at this point, I'll take any side - damn, she's worse than Rihanna about releasing music.
        • Blown Away was the album that got me into Carrie again - it's a really strong album - I don't know her discography like you, but it seems to be her best - this is an amazing story song, along with Two Black Cadillacs on that album.
        • Gaga is killing it on your list! I thought this would finish higher based on your countdown submission - might be interesting to compare that list with this one and see where you changed things up. #5 is plenty high, but I think you had this at #2 on your submission - of course maybe you have some pesky male artists who got in her way. Did not realize there was the media angle to that song! It's frustrating how the roll-out for this song went as I think it should have been another top 10 for her. Whatever possessed Gaga to work with R Kelly in the first place?
        Yay, truly caught up and can't wait to see the top four. I know one of them for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
          I had a friend who passed in September of 2016. We traded personal charts with each other. Into You was #1 on mine the week he passed; I still wonder if he ever saw that chart because I sent it the day before he died. He was such a fan of Ari. He loved CRJ to and especially Run Away With Me. I couldn't stand it, so I was always teasing him about it. Strange to see these two back to back. It appears we've hit the 20/20 relevancy part of the list - it seemed like it ratched up fast from 12 to 20!
          So sorry about your friend. It's weird losing friends (or anyone for that matter) who you had a music relationship with because a lot of those shared songs you guys had are kinda hinted with some level of melancholy afterwards.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
          Oh wow - beginning to understand your conservative school more now if they had a problem with that S&M lyric - like they couldn't handle that but Nicki's Monster verse was ok? S&M is one of only two solo songs by RiRi that ever hit #1 on my chart (the other being Love on the Brain).
          Conservatism is weird.

If I'm correct, your #1 of 2018 is still to come. I prefer GIAW - it was #2 for me that year too! And in most any other year, it would have been #1. The video was a big part, but also it felt like Ari had matured by 1000 with her Sweetener album.
          You are!

As far as dance pop RiRi, I'll take We Found Love over Diamonds any day, but I can appreciate having a song help get you through a rough patch.
          Yeah, "Diamonds" always makes me feel happier and more at peace.

Aww, Telephone - #3 in the 2010s countdown - Jesus, I loved that song - makes me wish it was 2010 again - that was a hppy year and this is such a fun song. I love the "this is a disasta'" line from Bey - I still quote it every noe and then. The ringing phone as part of the music - it's a bona fide good time bop.
          Yes, "Telephone" is without flaws for me.

We both put RITD in our top 10 - at the time this was dominating, I thought even then - well, that's it - Adele's already won the decade and the decade's barely started. And I was almost right! I WISH Adele included more of this kind of song in 25. We really need to see more that bitch side from her - though at this point, I'll take any side - damn, she's worse than Rihanna about releasing music.
          True! The situation with RiRi is worse, though, because she spoiled us from 2005-2012.

Blown Away was the album that got me into Carrie again - it's a really strong album - I don't know her discography like you, but it seems to be her best - this is an amazing story song, along with Two Black Cadillacs on that album.
          I'd say, and most Carrie fans would agree, that her best is Carnival Ride. Not sure if you've checked that one out yet, but it's definitely worth a spin.

Gaga is killing it on your list! I thought this would finish higher based on your countdown submission - might be interesting to compare that list with this one and see where you changed things up. #5 is plenty high, but I think you had this at #2 on your submission - of course maybe you have some pesky male artists who got in her way. Did not realize there was the media angle to that song! It's frustrating how the roll-out for this song went as I think it should have been another top 10 for her. Whatever possessed Gaga to work with R Kelly in the first place?
          Yep, it was #2. I was acutely aware of the spoiler of submitting my list, so I kinda tweaked things and gave some songs higher positions based on anticipated support. I knew "Do What U Want" would need all the help it could get.

Yay, truly caught up and can't wait to see the top four. I know one of them for sure.
          I'm fairly sure you'll like all four.

Comment

• 004. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

Ra-ra-ah-ah-ah
            Roma Roma-ma
            Gaga, "Ooh la-la"
            Want your bad romance
            Ra-ra-ah-ah-ah
            Roma, Roma-ma
            Gaga, "Ooh la-la"
            Want your bad romance

I want your ugly, I want your disease
            I want your everything as long as it’s free
            I want your love, love, love, love
            I want your love, huh, bad!
            I want your drama, the touch of your hand (Hey!)
            I want your leather-studded kiss in the sand
            I want your love, love, love, love
            I want your love (Love, love, love, I want your love)
            You know that I want you
            And you know that I need you ('Cause I'm a free bitch, baby)
            I want it bad
            Your bad romance
            Walk, walk, fashion, baby
            Work it, move that bitch crazy
            Walk, walk, passion, baby
            Work it, I'm a free bitch, baby

I want your love, and I want your revenge
            I want your love, I don't wanna be friends
            Je veux ton amour et je veux ta revanche
            Je veux ton amour, I don't wanna be friends (Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh)
            (I want you back) No, I don't wanna be friends
            (Caught in a bad romance) I don't wanna be friends
            Want your bad romance
            (Caught in a bad romance) Want your bad romance

The signature song of one of the biggest pop superstars of my generation, "Bad Romance" encompasses all of the wild brilliance, for which Gaga is known and loved. Lyrically, it stays close to her 'Mother Monster' image, but I think it's the overall theme of openness and freedom that I love about this song. The eccentricity certainly adds spice, but despite what this masquerades as, it is essentially a love song, and that big climax where she belts, "I don't wanna be friends!" is laced with such raw emotion and vulnerability. On my best day, I would find it challenging to summon that level of openness, but the protagonist really hands her heart on a silver platter to her proposed partner. I'd gone back and forth as to whether or not to include "Bad Romance" in this countdown, as it was technically released in Q4 of 2009, but too many memories of this song are tied to events in the 2010s for me to not view it as a song of that decade. I've actually sung this song at karaoke in front of co-workers on two occasions, even going as far as trying to recreate some of the lyrics in a dance move or two (startlingly, I was stone-cold sober on both occasions, but when this song comes on, my inhibitions dissipate). Honestly, this song brings me such joy. It's got this grand, celestial-pop sound, big vocals, great lyrics, an iconic video, some incredible live performances - this is peak Gaga, and I remember a truly hilarious tweet I came across that read "Isaac Newton discovered gravity at age 23", to which a pop fan responded "Gaga wrote and recorded 'Bad Romance' at 23", and, in all fairness, I gotta say I'm more impressed with Mother Monster's achievement, to be honest.
            Code:
            Year Released: 2010
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(8)
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 360
            003. Beyoncé - Drunk in Love (feat. Jay-Z & Kanye West)

Kinm in kalot oté Mandela
            Twé la pa mèt dan la gèl banna
            Twé la pèt amwin
            Woo! You will never need another lover
            Woo! Cause you a milf and I'm a motherf**ker
            Told you give the drummer some, now the drummer cu**in'
            I'm pa rum pa pum pumin' all on your stomach

Yeah, tonight I see some super freaky hoes
            That could go from bein' stripper to a super C.E.O
            I don't know the way you do it, but you do it to me though
            And you always told your girlfriends you need you a TV show
            Now you got your own money, you don't need nobody else
            But as far as handlin' all that ass, I think you gon' need some help

Let me remind you, you got a, you got a great future behind you
            You gotta tell me what we tryna do
            I ain't no pastor, don't do missionary
            I know good pu**y when I see it, I'm a visionary
            I know them haters talkin', always had us very wary
            Yup! On the 35th of Nevuary
            Yup! You love the way I'm turnt
            After all the money you earned, still show daddy what you learned
            That cowgirl, you reverse that cowgirl
            You reverse, you reverse, and I impregnated your mouth, girl, ooooh

That's when I know you could be my spouse, girl
            We f**kin' all over the house, girl, we just messed up a brand new couch, girl
            You ain't on site then you on Skype
            I put you on that bike, you bound, girl
            We too wild, won't turn down
            We drunk in love, f**k them
            I've been drinking, I've been drinking
            I get filthy when that liquor get into me
            I've been thinking, I've been thinking
            Why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby?
            I want you, na na
            Why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby?
            I want you, na na
            Cigars on ice, cigars on ice
            Feeling like an animal with these cameras all in my grill
            Flashing lights, flashing lights
            You got me faded, faded, faded
            Baby, I want you, na na
            Can't keep your eyes off my fatty
            Daddy, I want you, na na
            Drunk in love, I want you
            We woke up in the kitchen saying,
            "How the hell did this shit happen?"
            Oh baby, drunk in love we be all night
            Last thing I remember is our beautiful bodies grinding up in the club
            Drunk in love
            We be all night,
            And everything alright
            No complaints from my body, so fluorescent under these lights
            Boy, I'm drinking,
            Park it in my lot 7-11
            I'm rubbing on it, rub-rubbing, if you scared, call that reverend
            Boy, I'm drinking, get my brain right
            Armand de brignac, gangster wife
            Louie sheets, he sweat it out like wash rags he wear it out
            Boy, I'm drinking, I'm singing on the mic to my boy toys
            Then I fill the tub up halfway then ride it with my surfboard, surfboard, surfboard
            Graining on that wood, graining, graining on that wood
            I'm swerving on that, swerving, swerving on that big body
            Been serving all this, swerve, surfing all in this good, good
            Stumbled all in the house time to back up all of that mouth
            That you had all in the car, talking 'bout you the baddest bitch thus far

Talking 'bout you be repping that third, I wanna see all the shit that I heard
            Know I sling Clint Eastwood, hope you can handle this curve

Foreplay in the foyer, f**ked up my Warhol
            Slip the panties right to the side
            Ain't got the time to take draws off, on sight

Catch a charge I might, beat the box up like Mike
            In '97 I bite, I'm Ike, Turner, turn up
            Baby no I don't play, now eat the cake, Anna Mae
            Said, "Eat the cake, Anna Mae!"
            I'm nice, for y'all to reach these heights you gonna need G3
            4, 5, 6 flights, sleep tight
            We sex again in the morning, your breastases is my breakfast
            We going in, we be all night

The African tribal beats, the Catholic-confessional-esque first few lyrics, the lust and passion, those VOCALS! "Drunk in Love" is the greatest song from one of the greatest forces in music history. It's well-written, well-sung, well-produced. There are multiple versions that slay me: the original, the Kanye West remix, the live Coachella performance. I said earlier in the countdown that I hate lazily penned sex songs, but this one has just the right serving of romance, seduction, and pure animalistic desire. The Kanye West remix is heavy on the vulgarity, but it never crosses over to crassness for me. Even Jay-Z manages to come through with one of his best-ever verses. Of course, Beyoncé is the focal point of each version. Vocally, she reminds you why she's on another level from most of her 'peers' and I applaud her for being able to repurpose the song in a live setting with a considerably different arrangement, yet still retaining every iota of thrill that the studio versions deliver. Her delivery throughout the track is also insane. There are some parts where she assumes a hip-hop kind of flow and she seamlessly glides from that style to big, sustained belts without missing a beat. Honestly, this song would've been #1 had it not been lacking just a bit on the relatability factor for me. At its lengthiest, it's a few seconds shy of seven minutes, but I never get bored because the song provides such a meaty sonic, lyrical, and vocal experience. It's such a complete masterpiece, and I have fond memories of this literally being everywhere, yet it never got old. I really wish this had been a current single when I started clubbing, but maybe the universe knew that the clubs couldn't handle me with this track on.
            Code:
            Year Released: 2014
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(12)
            Plays Since 1/1/2012: 562

Comment

• Ghey Romance and Ghey in Love
              Originally posted by beredy
              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• "Something New" is the only one Girls Aloud single, which I dislike.
                My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                  Ghey Romance and Ghey in Love
                  Glad you appreciate those two!

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                  "Something New" is the only one Girls Aloud single, which I dislike.
                  Interesting! What're your favourite GA song and single?

Comment

• Oh damn, I'm shocked - I thought for sure those were your top two! I know you mentioned you were wondering if you'd place Bad Romance in your countdown or not, but I think it's the right choice for the same reason I included it. Glad to see it so high - I think we both put it in our top ten.

Of course, pleased to see Drunk In Love, though now disappointed it isn't #1 because it looks pretty certain it will win the Survivor, and the timing would have been precious The song definitely is emblematic of its title - you definitely can imagine Bey and Izzo having indulged in a bit of wine and haze together as you listen to that song.

Comment

• 002. Ariana Grande - Breathin

Some days, things just take way too much of my energy
                      I look up and the whole room's spinning

You take my cares away
                      I can so over-complicate, people tell me to medicate
                      Feel my blood runnin', swear the sky's fallin'

I know that all this shit's fabricated, mmm
                      Time goes by and I can't control my mind
                      Don't know what else to try, but you tell me every time
                      Just keep breathin' and breathin' and breathin' and breathin'
                      And oh, I gotta keep, keep on breathin'
                      Just keep breathin' and breathin' and breathin' and breathin'
                      And oh, I gotta keep, keep on breathin', mmm
                      Sometimes it's hard to find, find my way up into the clouds
                      Tune it out, they can be so loud

You remind me of a time when things weren't so complicated
                      All I need is to see your face
                      My, my air
                      My, my air
                      My, my air, my air
                      My, my air
                      My, my air
                      My, my air, yeah

My 2018 year-end #1 song, the biggest hit on my daily chart in both 2018 and 2019, and the top solo female entry on the countdown, "Breathin" has been a great source of comfort for me since its release. Anxiety has been a new challenge for me this decade. It emerged in the mid-2010s when I started my career in public accounting, with a sink-or-swim culture and completely-different-from-what-they-taught-me-in-school tasks and assignments to complete that the OCD perfectionist in me found near-traumatising early on. I'm still learning about the tools I can use to effectively combat anxiety, but listening to "Breathin" has been one of the most effective ones for me. The song's chorus is chant-like in its "keep breathin' and breathin'" mantra that really helps me to take a minute and just recentre myself. Ariana has this incredible instrument that's soft and warm, but elastic and powerful, and I love how she flexes her range on this track. The upper register moments are sublime. Like a few other top songs, there are several versions of "Breathin" that I love: the original, her live 'Sweetener Sessions' performance, and and an extended mix I found on YouTube that adds a truly angelic melody to the song's climax.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2018
                      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(32)
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 747
                      001. David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)

You shout it out, but I can't hear a word you say
                      I'm talking loud, not saying much
                      I'm criticized, but all your bullets ricochet
                      Shoot me down, but I get up
                      I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
                      Fire away, fire away
                      Ricochet, you take your aim
                      Fire away, fire away
                      You shoot me down, but I won't fall
                      I am titanium
                      You shoot me down, but I won't fall
                      I am titanium

Cut me down, but it's you who'll have further to fall
                      Ghost town and haunted love
                      Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones
                      I'm talking loud, not saying much
                      Stone hard, machine gun
                      Firing at the ones who run
                      Stone hard, as bulletproof glass

CT predicted this would be #1, but added a qualifier to his prognostication, stating that it felt "too obvious". Well, I'm a simple man at my core and "Titanium" ticks all the standard boxes for me. Before I get to the song itself, let's take a look at its stats: 39 days at #1 [behind only "Hold It Against Me" (47) and "Mine" (40)...and likely to pass those two tracks by 2022], 786 plays since 1/1/2012 [behind only "Diamonds" and "Crystallize"], spent days at #1 every year on my chart since 2011, save for 2017. Interestingly enough, "Titanium" wasn't even my year-end #1 in 2011; that honour went to "Hold It Against Me" that year, but it has been with me for so long that my love for it has grown, as the hurdles I've had to overcome have grown. The song is like a familiar friend at this point. I first heard "Titanium" in August 2011, the same month I started college. I remember playing the song on repeat towards the latter end of the semester, to motivate me to complete all the term papers, assignments, and exam prep I needed to do. Then came CPA exams. Then came work. Then came adulting, life, and dating. I think so much of life is like a boxing match, and this song always motivates me to throw a punch back. Sometimes, passivity is necessary, and that's where "Breathin" comes in, during healing season, but there's an active sense of empowerment that underscores the lyrics in "Titanium", and even beyond empowerment, steely confidence as Sia literally prompts the challenges and critics: "Fire away, fire away". The lyrics speak of resilience, courage, stubbornness - hell, even Sia's lung-testing vocal performance is characteristic of all those qualities. This is a dance-pop song with triumph as its central theme and that was always going to be a potent combination for me, but Guetta's production and Sia's stratospheric, 0-to-100 vocals make it arguably the best-executed dance-pop song ever.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2011
                      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(39)
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 788

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        Interesting! What're your favourite GA song and single?
                        From singles : Can't Speak French and No Good Advice
                        My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                        In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Can I amend my last post because now I want to hit myself in the forehead - of course, Titanium - I was too hung up on the countdown list you sent me, and totally forgot about the comment I posted

These make sense for a top two in that you have found a lot of inner peace and strength from these songs. Really pleased with this #1 of course, given my Sia love, but I have wonderful memories associated with the song and it kind of killed me to leave at #11 on my own countdown.

And you are right, I love the entire top four - actually the entire top 10 is perfect - maybe I'd swap S&M for Diamonds

Thanks for sharing your list - I enjoyed checking in and seeing what songs impacted you these past ten years

Comment

• Titanium is a worthy number one in every way! Thanks for the countdown!
                            My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                              Oh damn, I'm shocked - I thought for sure those were your top two! I know you mentioned you were wondering if you'd place Bad Romance in your countdown or not, but I think it's the right choice for the same reason I included it. Glad to see it so high - I think we both put it in our top ten.
                              Yeah, I'm comfortable with my "Bad Romance" decision, too. It had all of two months to impact my 2009 and I feel like I only played it twice during that period, dismissed it as trash, and moved regretlessly on to "Telephone".

Of course, pleased to see Drunk In Love, though now disappointed it isn't #1 because it looks pretty certain it will win the Survivor, and the timing would have been precious The song definitely is emblematic of its title - you definitely can imagine Bey and Izzo having indulged in a bit of wine and haze together as you listen to that song.
                              I did think about that!

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                              From singles : Can't Speak French and No Good Advice
                              Ah, good picks. I think I mentioned it to you before, but I'm a big "No Good Advice" fan. "Can't Speak French" is 'just' okay for me, though.

Can I amend my last post because now I want to hit myself in the forehead - of course, Titanium - I was too hung up on the countdown list you sent me, and totally forgot about the comment I posted
                              I'm not sure if you recall, but my first post in your 2010s female-led singles countdown you hosted was to inquire about the eligibility of "Titanium".

These make sense for a top two in that you have found a lot of inner peace and strength from these songs. Really pleased with this #1 of course, given my Sia love, but I have wonderful memories associated with the song and it kind of killed me to leave at #11 on my own countdown.
                              "Inner peace and strength" - that succinctly covers everything my flop write-ups for those two songs say.

And you are right, I love the entire top four - actually the entire top 10 is perfect - maybe I'd swap S&M for Diamonds
                              Glad I've got the CT stamp of approval!

Thanks for sharing your list - I enjoyed checking in and seeing what songs impacted you these past ten years
                              Many thanks for following the entirety of the countdown! I always say I'd put these lists together even if it were just me talking to myself in the thread, as I find doing the write-ups and going down memory lane to be a therapeutic exercise, but it's certainly fun when others are involved and share their opinions on what the songs mean to them, and highlight quirky moments that I might've missed myself. It adds value, so thanks for doing that! <3

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                              Titanium is a worthy number one in every way! Thanks for the countdown!
                              Glad you think so, Benny! Thanks for being a part of it!

Comment

• My 2010s by the Numbers

I promised I would share some statistics after the countdown and now it's time to take a more holistic view of the decade by year. Let's first take a look at how the list of 400 songs were spread out among the 10 years.

No. of Songs
                                2012 53
                                2010 51
                                2016 48
                                2013 46
                                2017 37
                                2015 37
                                2011 36
                                2014 36
                                2018 31
                                2019 25
                                So 2012 had the most songs featured, whereas 2019 had the fewest. The numbers indicate a preference for the first half of the decade (2010-2014) over the second half (2015-2019) as the first half got 222 songs in (55.5%) whereas the second half managed 178 (44.5%). Key points to note are: (1) 2010 would have benefitted from any songs that were released in 2009 but impacted my 2010s decade and were consequently assigned 2010 as its default year of release, and (2) 2019 would have been disadvantaged through songs in that period having had the least bit of time to grow on me prior to the start of the countdown. As mentioned in a few songs' write-ups, there were a few songs that didn't click in me during their release year (i.e. Coldplay's "Adventure of a Lifetime") but managed to connect before the decade's end.

Significance Value

Each song was assigned a significance value between 1 and 20 to reflect just how much I valued the song
                                , so let's take a look at how the years fared against each other in that metric!
                                2010 223
                                2012 218
                                2013 184
                                2016 177
                                2011 152
                                2015 147
                                2014 141
                                2018 139
                                2017 123
                                2019 35
                                And here is where it's clear just how much I disliked the music in 2019 in comparison to the other years' songs, though that was as clear as daylight by 2019's top track not making the top 100. Here, we see a more dramatic shift in preference for the first half of the decade as 2010-2014 earned 918 significance points (59.6%) versus 2015-2019's 621 points (40.4%).

Other, Random Statistics

There's no secret I prefer female artists to male artists, but the margin of difference was a surprise even to me. Female artists were the lead acts for 304 songs (76%) compared to males' 96 songs (24%). So that's slightly more than three female acts for every singular male act.

Although Rihanna, Beyoncé, and Nicki Minaj featured prominently, Black artists accounted only for 117 songs (29.3%).

Taylor Swift had more songs featured than anyone else (25), but in terms of the sum of significance points, she only managed 77 points, a total bettered by Rihanna (111 from 20 songs), Lady Gaga (107 from 14 songs), Beyoncé (90 from 21 songs), and Ariana Grande (83 from 14 songs). Props to Gaga for the highest song significance average from those big 5.

Comment

• Numbers 80, 78, 76, 72, 71, 66, 63, 51 are my favourites from the ranks 51-100!
                                  Personal Chart

Comment

• Numbers 45, 44, 38, 34-32, 30, 28-26 and 20; especially 40, 36, 25 and 22 are my favourites from 50-20
                                    Personal Chart

Comment

• 18, 15, 12-8 and ESPECIALLY #07 are great! Your #7 is my #1
                                      Personal Chart

Comment

• Your #04, Bad Romance have been one of my facourite Songs in the first half of the decade!
                                        I'm SO surprised that TITANIUM is actually YOUR #01...I mean, everybody on this forum which is here since 2015 knows, how I love(d) that Song before
                                        The last few years Titanium falles a bit, but it is still #8 of my favourite Songs.
                                        But I'm very happy to see that another person on this forum shares the love for this Song
                                        Last edited by Phoenixx; Fri July 10th, 2020, 16:52.
                                        Personal Chart

Comment

Working...
                                        X