X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSparksFan
    Moderator and Site Supporter
    • 24 Jul 2009

Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [2-1!]

The past decade has been an interesting one. At its dawn, I was a 14-year-old teenager struggling with the throes of queer adolescence at a school with Christian in its actual title. By its close, I was a young adult struggling to balance the demands of a stress-laden professional career with the longing for something deeper and purer. The space between those struggles was filled with some of the best music I've ever heard and this countdown seeks to celebrate that. At 400 pieces long, it will be the biggest celebration I've hosted, but that's what these songs really are - threads of the tapestry of a decade filled with growth, scented by monumental friendships and unforgettable adventures, embellished by challenges and unexpected (and untimely) hurdles, all interwoven with a stubborn, endless sense of hope that every fork in the road, flat tire, detour, and random reroute would ultimately lead me to the only destination that ever really mattered - peace.

I can tie each of these songs to a memory so they're all, to varying extents, special to me. I'm really excited to share the very brightest of the decade's musical highlights, with my ever-polarising taste as trusty barometer. I've finally settled on my #1 so you are all formally invited to the party, which is slated to kick off...whenever I get around to doing so.

In the interim, take your best guess in the poll.

Which track do you think is my song of the decade?
    0%
    Blown Away
    10.00%
    Born to Die
    0%
    Breathin
    0%
    Diamonds
    20.00%
    Do What U Want
    0%
    Drunk in Love
    0%
    Mine
    10.00%
    Redbone
    20.00%
    Rolling in the Deep
    20.00%
    Titanium
    20.00%
    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [60-56]
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Cruel Summer (x12)
    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. Madison Beer]
    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Janet Jackson vs. Nelly Furtado]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.
  • cheapthrills
    Administrator and Site Supporter
    • 08 Jul 2016

Excited to see your list, and I liked the majority of the songs you have listed in your poll. Unfortunately, the poll doesn't seem to be working
    🎉Ultimate SOS Survivor 🎉
    🎉Forum Song Contest 203 (Cardiff, UK) 🎉

​

Comment

• JSparksFan
      • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by cheapthrills
      Excited to see your list, and I liked the majority of the songs you have listed in your poll. Unfortunately, the poll doesn't seem to be working
      Thanks for letting me know. I think it should be working now.

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• cheapthrills
        • 08 Jul 2016

I was able to vote. I picked Titanium because I feel I've seen it the most on your daily list. But it also feels too obvious, like I see a curveball coming in your #1.
        🎉Ultimate SOS Survivor 🎉

​

Comment

• sergejdordij98
          • 09 Jan 2020

Hyped for this!
          Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

• JSparksFan
            • 24 Jul 2009

Okay, I think it's time to get started with this.

I was able to vote. I picked Titanium because I feel I've seen it the most on your daily list. But it also feels too obvious, like I see a curveball coming in your #1.
            Let's see!

Originally posted by sergejdordij98
            Hyped for this!
            ​​​​​​​

Hope you enjoy it!

Comment

• JSparksFan
              • 24 Jul 2009

In ranking my favourite songs of the decade, I thought it best to rank by significance, since a quality rating would've been moot, considering that I pretty much consider all of these songs to be 10/10 tracks. As such, each track was awarded a significance rating between 1 and 20.

Also, I joined LastFM 1/1/2012 and I've used that platform to track my 'scrobbles' since then, so I've also included the tracks' plays since that date. Of course, pre-2012 songs are at a disadvantage with that metric, but the play count wasn't a determining factor with the rankings. I just thought it'd be a cool additional data item to have.

Without further ado, let's begin!

400. Bruno Mars - Our First Time

​​

Just go with it, go with it, go with it
              And I will go real slow with it, slow with it

The first of eight appearances, which makes Bruno Mars the most prolific male artist featured in this decade-end wrap-up, "Our First Time" is a narration of the tender love and care Bruno intends on employing with his lover's inaugural sexual experience. I'd always enjoyed the song, but what gave it the edge over a few other gems I considered are the incredibly sensual live performances Bruno's given his fans with this track. Those performances do quite a bit for me.
              Code:
              Significance Rating: 1/20
              Year Released: 2010
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #3
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 115
              399. Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

​​

And you, would hide away and find your peace of mind
              With some indie record that's much cooler than mine

From the most prolific male artist in the countdown to the most prolific female act (which, as you'd imagine, makes her the most featured act overall), "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" is the first of a whopping 25(!) songs from Taylor Swift, remarkably all with her as the lead act. "We Are Never..." is classic Taylor melodrama. At the time of its release, it was the poppiest song she'd done, which delighted her pop-leaning fanbase (myself included), but my love for it has waned a bit. It finished eighth in my year-end 2012 contest, but is quite a bit down in the rankings among its 2012 sister tracks here. Still, the spoken inserts she does here to punctuate a good chunk of the lines remain a brilliant force in selling the tone of the track. Among all artists this decade, Taylor most expertly served the the love/break-up sector of the music market.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2012
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(4)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 247
              398. Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris)

​​

I’m a fighter like Rocky
              Put you flat on your back like Ali

An incredible vocal performance, "The Champion" features here because of the powerful way Carrie included it in her Cry Pretty 360 Tour. She borrowed an audience member from each city, shared a heartfelt (or just generally sweet) backstory about the individual and the individual's personal hero(es), then had them rap Ludacris's rap verse in dedication to their own in-real-life champions. Some of them actually did a pretty good job, but I just generally love how she transformed a song that was 'just' about football into something more meaningful.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2018
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(2)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 79
              397. Lady Gaga - The Edge of Glory

​​

​​​​​​​
              Right on the limit's where we know we both belong, tonight

I'd spent most of the decade considering this to be perhaps Gaga's most overrated track, and I still think it's supremely overpraised, but this was the song that Yvie Oddly lip-synced her way to the Drag Race crown with, so I developed a deeper appreciation for "The Edge of Glory" largely due to that. I also think it is a great easy listening jam. The saxophone solo is lovely, and pairs the song's lightness with a richness for a combo that I suspect will age well.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2011
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(3)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 78
              396. Samra - Miracle

​​

​​​​​​​
              Gonna take a miracle to heal this love
              Baby, I won't stay another night
              This time I say goodbye, I’m letting you go

At my core, I'm a shameless pop fan with simple music needs and if you give me a glittery chorus with a strong main vocal and some well-blended background vocals, I'm good to go. Throw in some passionate lyrics and I'm hooked. "Miracle" is the first of several ESC entries on the countdown, and one of an infinite number of robbed gems from that contest.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2016
              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(1)
              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 78

Comment

• LOVE+FEAR
                Superstar
                • 19 Sep 2015

My faves so far:

2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• cheapthrills
                  • 08 Jul 2016

I'm shocked Taylor Swift is the biggest artist on your list - I guess I haven't noticed how present she is on your daily chart. Not a fan of that particular song - Taylor has this annoying habit of picking lead singles that just seem weirdly entitled to me. It seems she saves her quality for the second single - at least that's how it seemed the last few albums.

Champion is decent, but I'm sure there are several more from here - two in particular I hope made it - but I'll save what they are to see if you name them

You're not alone in your Edge of Glory thoughts. It's not a favorite of mine by her either, though I think it's perfectly solid.
                  🎉Ultimate SOS Survivor 🎉

​

Comment

• JSparksFan
                    • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR
                    My faves so far:

Glad you like those two!

I'm shocked Taylor Swift is the biggest artist on your list - I guess I haven't noticed how present she is on your daily chart. Not a fan of that particular song - Taylor has this annoying habit of picking lead singles that just seem weirdly entitled to me. It seems she saves her quality for the second single - at least that's how it seemed the last few albums.

Champion is decent, but I'm sure there are several more from here - two in particular I hope made it - but I'll save what they are to see if you name them

You're not alone in your Edge of Glory thoughts. It's not a favorite of mine by her either, though I think it's perfectly solid.
                    I was quite confident that it was going to be another particular artist, too, but then I realised Taylor was the only of my big faves to release as many as five LPs in the 2010s, so that gave her a bit of an advantage, not to mention that they were all good/great albums! That's an interesting point you made about her lead singles this decade...and I agree with you, save for "Mine"!

Carrie's got more than a handful still to come, so let's see if your preferred pair is among the set!

Glad to know you feel similarly about "The Edge of Glory".

Comment

• JSparksFan
                      • 24 Jul 2009

395. Britney Spears - Perfume

I'll never tell, tell on myself
                      But I hope she smells my perfume

I'll openly admit to this song not being 'objectively' fantastic (to the point that anyone can be objective about anything as subjective as art) but the way the video completely flipped the script and 180'ed the perspective of this song is the primary reason it's featured here. To listen to the song from the perspective of Britney being the 'other woman' and not the girlfriend is a dark twist and a far more interesting narrative. Also, I think Britney's voice sounds absolutely gorgeous on ballads, and this is certainly among the stronger ones she's recorded in her career.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2013
                      Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(3)
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 243
                      394. Frank Ocean - Nights

Although you got beaucoup family
                      You don't even got nobody bein' honest with you

A two-part melodic achievement from R&B's favourite enigma of the 2010s, "Nights" was an early and easy Blond favourite of mine. It's got such a chill vibe and it's pretty full lyrically. I kinda like how it feels like a random collection of his thoughts merged in his reminiscence of when his life felt like a series of indistinguishable nights strung together. Even if you're not a struggling musician, I think that's a feeling most can relate to. I also appreciate this for teaching me the term beaucoup.
                      Code:
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 95
                      393. Kacey Musgraves - It Is What It Is

But I ain't got no one sleeping with me
                      And you ain't got nowhere that you need to be
                      Maybe I love you, maybe I'm just kind of bored
                      It is what it is 'til it ain't anymore

I feel like millennial dating is summed up no more accurately than in this track's chorus. The way Kacey's sombre drawl so expertly captures the resignation most people have when they just settle for whoever's there, just for the sake of having someone there, is first-class storytelling.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2013
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 110
                      392. Florence + the Machine - Seven Devils

See, I was dead when I woke up this morning
                      I'll be dead before the day is done

During the Christmas break of 2014, I became rather obsessed with the hit ABC show 'Revenge' and this song soundtracked the final scene of a truly epic season finale. Now, whenever I listen to it, I'm immediately taken back to that shocking final few minutes of season one. The dark atmosphere and melodramatic lyrics are such a perfect fit for the scene - kudos to the producers on the show who selected this. Ace job, really!
                      Code:
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 40
                      391. Charli XCX - Break the Rules

Going to the discotheque
                      Getting high and getting wrecked
                      I don't wanna go to school
                      I just wanna break the rules

A fun party anthem about breaking free of the chains of routine and just giving in to your base desires for fun, wildness, and excitement, "Break the Rules" is an easy song with which to connect. It was released at the start of my final year in college and despite generally enjoying school, there were definitely days where I wish I could do away with it all and just chill.
                      Code:
                      Year Released: 2014
                      Plays Since 1/1/2012: 65

Comment

• Loose
                        Legend
                        • 17 Apr 2006

I predict that Redbone will be your Song Of The Decade.

Seven Devils is my favourite in your chart so far.
                        It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• Carbon
                          Legend
                          • 19 Jul 2013

Break the Rules is a fun and carefree song indeed, sometimes I miss this Charli although she's evolving

Comment

• JSparksFan
                            • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by Loose
                            I predict that Redbone will be your Song Of The Decade.

Seven Devils is my favourite in your chart so far.
                            Let's see!

"Seven Devils" is a great one. The Revenge producers did a stellar job selecting that track to soundtrack the S1 final scene.

Originally posted by Carbon
                            Break the Rules is a fun and carefree song indeed, sometimes I miss this Charli although she's evolving
                            Admittedly, I don't know much of Charli's work. I should probably explore her catalogue a bit more.

Comment

• JSparksFan
                              • 24 Jul 2009

390. MNEK - Correct

(Who wrote this song?
                              Who made this beat?)
                              Well, take a guess

Fresh off being featured in my 2019 year-end wrap-up, "Correct" is a big pop/R&B hybrid anthem brimming with unfiltered, warranted pride and confidence from one of the most talented young producers in the music industry. I just love how fresh and cool it sounds. It's got such a sleek production to it and I love the diva-ish lyrics.
                              Code:
                              Year Released: 2019
                              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 71
                              389. Frank Ocean - Swim Good

I'm about to drive in the ocean
                              I'mma try to swim from somethin' bigger than me

A pretty dark song about taking extreme measures to escape the toll of heartbreak, "Swim Good" made a powerful initial impression with me and I've loved it ever since. I appreciate how, though it's an R&B song by melodic and lyrical nature, there are still some hardy hip/hop inserts like those crunk ad-libs in the pre-chorus, and that beach sounds outro brings the track to such a powerful close, as if the protagonist achieved the goal of the peace and comfort he sought out from verse one. Also, Frank's vocals on this are pretty emotive and this is one of his better vocal performances.
                              Code:
                              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(4)
                              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 158
                              388. Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes

We are the heroes of our time
                              But we're dancing with the demons in our minds

An electro-pop song with a soaring chorus is the Eurovision standard of excellence and this aptly checks that ever-important box. His performance with that supremely clever and charming interactive backdrop (not to mention those leather pants) sealed the win for this Swede, with the ESC juries and fandom, and with me.
                              Code:
                              Year Released: 2015
                              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 100
                              387. Ariana Grande - Moonlight

He's so bossy, he makes me dance
                              Tryna sit in the back of his whip and just cancel my plans
                              Sweet like candy, but he's such a man
                              He knows just what it does when he’s holding me tight
                              And he calls me "moonlight" too

Subtlety in music isn't something that usually worked for me in my younger days, but I've grown to appreciate it, and with a glowing recommendation from Paul that that this was not, in fact, a 'skippable' Dangerous Woman moment, I revisited "Moonlight" and really grew to appreciate the eccentricity of the climax being saved for the final moments, and for that climax to be not a big explosion of pop awesomeness, but rather a soft, tender moment of bliss and contentment. This is classy, simple, beautiful balladry from someone I've come a far way in appreciating.
                              Code:
                              Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #1(5)
                              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 113
                              386. Lil Nas X - Rodeo (feat. Cardi B)

Now my heart, it feels like Brillo, I'm hard like armadillo
                              Can't be no n***a ex, I could only be his widow
                              That's a fact, dressed in black, my heart break, bones will crack
                              I be chilling, watching Oxygen, my favorite show is Snapped
                              Now you know how I get, every day, a foreign whip
                              Rather see you in a hearse than see you with some other bitch

A criminally underrated jewel from 2019, "Rodeo" wilted in the shadow of its predecessor Old Town Road's record-breaking success and never really made the impact it should have (though Lil Nas X and his team didn't help with their tepid pushing of the song...which has now changed with his remix of it with Nas and a rather ambitious video to accompany it). The beat for this is incredible, a satisfyingly odd mix off dark and grimy with country-western sleekness,and Cardi B rides the wave of it like an expert. Her verse is pure, unadulterated, volcanic-level fire!
                              Code:
                              Plays Since 1/1/2012: 190

Comment

• Loose
                                Legend
                                • 17 Apr 2006

Moonlight is cute!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                  • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by Loose
                                  Moonlight is cute!
                                  It's beautiful!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                    • 24 Jul 2009

385. RuPaul - Read U Wrote U (feat. Alaska Thunderc**t, Detox, Katya Zamolodchikova, & Roxxxy Andrews)

D to the E to the T to the O to the- Hold it!... X

I discovered RPDR in 2019 so I didn't get to experience the magic of AS2 as it aired, but having caught up to the series, this track is certainly one of the musical standouts from all 15 seasons. Alaska's eccentricity and clever references, Detox's sauciness and swagger, Katya's sensuality and mysteriousness, and Roxxxy's earnestness make for a killer combo.
                                    Code:
                                    Akini's Daily Top 20 Chart Peak: #4
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 32
                                    384. Carly Rae Jepsen - Right Words, Wrong Time

We put everything away
                                    California wasn't made for you
                                    Hate the traffic in LA
                                    I drove through it all to get to you

The build-up and crash-down of this track's melody is beautiful. I love its lyrics, I love Carly Rae's falsetto chorus, and it's the clear standout on her Dedication album. I've griped before about it not being as flawlessly executed as the best E•MO•TION moments, but that doesn't stop it from being a satisfying pop jam. The frustration and heartbreak are palpable here and I love that that emotion isn't lost among the synthpop beats.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 118
                                    383. Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want

My castle crumbled overnight
                                    I brought a knife to a gunfight
                                    They took the crown, but it's alright

A lot of Reputation has a grimy, grunge backdrop in the production that doesn't appeal to me, so "Call It What You Want" serves as one of the rare, welcome, clear melodies on the LP, where Taylor finds solace in her relationship and also an insulation from rampant criticism from the media.
                                    Code:
                                    Year Released: 2017
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 96
                                    382. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings

Been through some bad shit, I should be a sad bitch
                                    Who woulda thought it'd turn me to a savage?

A pop song with trap elements and hip/hop swagger, the braggadocios "7 Rings" was a bop that I didn't expect from Ari, but one that I oh so needed in my library. I love how in her element she sounds on this, and it continued what felt like a signature sound from her.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 235
                                    381. Taylor Swift - Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince

My team is losing
                                    Battered and bruising
                                    I see the high fives
                                    Between the bad guys
                                    Leave with my head hung
                                    You are the only one
                                    Who seems to care

Political and social commentary cleverly disguised as a catchy high school romance anthem, "Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince" is one of the best-written songs in Taylor's catalogue. I'd always enjoyed it, but watching her Netflix documentary that borrows its title from the track did make me like the song that bit more.
                                    Code:
                                    Plays Since 1/1/2012: 48

Comment

• Loose
                                      Legend
                                      • 17 Apr 2006

Not a fan of Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince.

7 Rings and Call It What You Want on the other hand are dope. Ariana‘s is probably my favourite song in this countdown so far.

Comment

• cheapthrills
                                        • 08 Jul 2016

Have been checking in, but not a lot of songs that I know in this lower sets, though absolutely delighted to see that Kacey song make your list.

Mildly surprised to see 7 Rings so low, but it's not a huge favorite - though I love how bonkers it was to interpolate My Favorite Things.

Also impressed with how things are shaping up for Frank Ocean on this list.
                                        🎉Ultimate SOS Survivor 🎉

​

Comment

Working...