Akini's Top 100 Albums of the 2010s: [2-1!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akini's Top 100 Albums of the 2010s: [2-1!]

The second part of my trilogy decade-end wrap-up series is this, my top 100 albums of the 2010s. Album releases (and indeed album sales, too) underwent dramatic transformations over the decade, but the quality was (largely) good from year to year. As such, the nominees for my album of the decade are my year-end #1 albums of 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018, respectively. Each felt like landmark LPs in their own right and have stood the test of time well. Take your best punt in the poll. This should start sometime this weekend.

25.00%
    Born to Die
    25.00%
    Dirty Computer
    25.00%
    Lemonade
    25.00%
    Pink Friday
    0%
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Pink Friday set the decade and elevated Nicki Minaj from rap icon to pop music icon. With 8 singles released: Your Love, Check It Out,
    Right Thru Me, Moment 4 Life, Super Bass, Did It On’em, Girls Fall Like Dominoes and Fly; she set the mood and set the bar.

Taylor Swift’s 1989 remains monumental; it is timeless and is the pure definition of a pop record. With Shake It Off, Blank Space, personal fave, Style; clapback song and video of Bad Blood; and then Wildest Dreams, Out of the Woods and another personal fave, New Romantics; Taylor brought us back to 1989 when Madonna ruled the radio, airwaves and MTV. While Bad Blood was alright; Shake It Off, Blank Space and just about everything else was on another level. Pure pop delicacy.

These two definitely helped define the decade. The edge goes to Taylor Swift’s 1989 with Nicki Minaj right after.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeph View Post
      Pink Friday set the decade and elevated Nicki Minaj from rap icon to pop music icon. With 8 singles released: Your Love, Check It Out,
      Right Thru Me, Moment 4 Life, Super Bass, Did It On’em, Girls Fall Like Dominoes and Fly; she set the mood and set the bar.

Taylor Swift’s 1989 remains monumental; it is timeless and is the pure definition of a pop record. With Shake It Off, Blank Space, personal fave, Style; clapback song and video of Bad Blood; and then Wildest Dreams, Out of the Woods and another personal fave, New Romantics; Taylor brought us back to 1989 when Madonna ruled the radio, airwaves and MTV. While Bad Blood was alright; Shake It Off, Blank Space and just about everything else was on another level. Pure pop delicacy.

These two definitely helped define the decade. The edge goes to Taylor Swift’s 1989 with Nicki Minaj right after.
      Ah, pleased you also hold those two albums in high esteem! They were two epic eras and we don't often get those. And in addition to those eight singles, Nicki was on so many other hit songs leading up to, and during, her Pink Friday era. 2010 was really her year.

Comment

Similarly to my songs countdown, I opted to rank the decade's top LPs by assigning a 'significance rating' between 1 and 20 to each album. Additionally, for each album, I'll list the songs from the album that managed to top my daily chart. Since I don't want this undertaking to follow in the footsteps of my six-month-long songs series, I'm challenging myself to a '50 words or less' write-up for each record. So let's start.

100. Glee Cast - Glee: The Music, Volume 5

As a huge Gleek, I love a significant portion of the Glee Cast's musical output, and this is definitely among their best compilations. It features one of their most ingenious mash-ups in "Thriller/Heads Will Roll" - who in heavens would've ever thought to meld those two tracks together, and I love the scene (and episode) in which the track was featured, too - but also two original songs, a first for the Glee Cast at the time. One of the two original tracks, "Get It Right", is rather good. "Sing" is another standout as it introduced me to the My Chemical Romance original, which I grew to love even more than the Glee Cast's cover.
        Code:
        Significance Rating: 1/20
        Year Released: 2011
        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Thriller/Heads Will Roll (x1)
        Other Key Songs: Sing; Get It Right
        099. Céline Dion - Encore un soir

In late 2016/early 2017, I decided I needed a new challenge in my life and opted to take on learning French. I purchased Rosetta Stone for French and supplemented that system with something a lot more fun - music - and this was one of the albums I played a lot to get more familiar with the language (pronunciation, vocabulary, and the like). My French studies would come to an end a few short months later due to a combination of declining interest and competing demands, but I did enjoy this, my first exploration of the great balladeer's extensive French catalogue. Wayne's said she sounds even better singing in French and while I'm not too quick to co-sign that opinion, it is an interesting change hearing Céline in her native tongue.
        Code:
        Year Released: 2016
        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Encore un soir (x1)
        Other Key Songs: L'étoile; Ordinaire; Ma faille
        098. Sia - This Is Acting

Considering "The Greatest" was #15 on my decade-end songs countdown, Sia's top track as the lead artist, and both "Move Your Body" and "Bird Set Free" featured lower down that same list, This Is Acting does seem like it should be higher, but when the album is good, it's phenomenal, and when it's bad, it's mind-numbingly boring, plain, and uninspired.
        Code:
        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: The Greatest (x13); Move Your Body (x2)
        Other Key Songs: Bird Set Free; Cheap Thrills; Confetti; Alive
        097. Trey Songz - Passion, Pain, & Pleasure

One of the big R&B boudoir crooners of the decade, Trey Songz's PPP LP is partitioned into the three sections as expressed in the album's title, and I actually like at least one track from each region, though 'Passion' is a clear favourite and 'Pain' the clear weakest, which rings true for me outside the context of the album, too!
        Code:
        Year Released: 2010
        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Bottoms Up (x2); Unusual (x1)
        Other Key Songs: Doorbell; Love Faces; Can't Be Friends
        096. Years & Years - Palo Santo

I was really intrigued by this album's sound when it was released. The dark synthpop was a huge draw for me and this was the first time that I considered Y&Y anything more than an overrated singles act. "Sanctify" really set the stage well and the LP didn't disappoint.
        Code:
        Year Released: 2018
        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Sanctify (x6); Palo Santo (x2)
        Other Key Songs: Hallelujah; If You're Over Me; Lucky Escape

Comment

095. Anastacia - Resurrection

I'm a sucker for big vocals on decently penned pop songs and that's exactly what Anastacia served on 'Resurrection'. Although it never made it to #1 on my chart, the most relatable song on this LP for me was and probably still is "Oncoming Train".
          Code:
          Year Released: 2014
          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Stupid Little Things (x3); Staring at the Sun (x1)
          Other Key Songs: Oncoming Train; Lifeline; I Don't Want to Be the One
          094. Kylie Minogue - Golden

Kylie opted to blend country with her sleek dance-pop sound for 'Golden', which was an experiment that yielded mixed results. I'll forever treasure "Raining Glitter", though, a song that's already among my top five Kylie stunners and "Live a Little" certainly speaks to the risk averse wallflower that lives within me. There's a theme of lightness and freedom of expression that really resonates with me, though I think most Kylie fans would agree that this isn't quite her best work.
          Code:
          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Raining Glitter (x3); Dancing (x2)
          Other Key Songs: Live a Little; Shelby '68; Stop Me from Falling
          093. Maroon 5 - Overexposed

What an album of pure, unadulterated, shameless bops! This may have been M5's 'jump the shark' moment for many of their rock fans, but rock fans' loss proved to be pop fans' gain. Because my chart mirrors my randomness, my favourite 'Overexposed' song, "One More Night", never actually made it to the top.
          Code:
          Year Released: 2012
          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Payphone (x1); Lucky Strike (x1)
          Other Key Songs: One More Night; Moves Like Jagger; The Man Who Never Lied
          092. Emeli Sandé - Our Version of Events

I love quality balladry and Emeli's brand of piano-driven soul-pop with R&B fittings was right up my musical alley. I've seen a lot of music fans complain about her being overexposed during this era, but, thankfully, I was shielded from that and got to enjoy it thoroughly. This has certainly aged well and I suspect will continue to do so.
          Code:
          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Read All About It, Pt. III (x2); My Kind of Love (x1)
          Other Key Songs: Where I Sleep; Breaking the Law; Clown; Next to Me
          091. Toni Braxton - Sex & Cigarettes

My only gripe with 'Sex & Cigarettes' has always been that it's way too short. That legendary husk that characterises the incredible instrument that is Toni's voice is showcased in fine form here, and conveys heartbreak and disappointment just as potently as it did two decades prior. I always love when legends are able to keep their material contemporary without sacrificing quality or integrity and Toni achieves that here.
          Code:
          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Deadwood (x6); Sex & Cigarettes (x1)
          Other Key Songs: Coping; Long as I Live

Comment

090. One Direction - Made in the A.M.

The boys' fifth and (so far) final album, I remember the epic chart battle between this and Justin Bieber's 'Purpose'. I feel like we didn't get a lot of big chart duels in the 2010s and the 1D/JB clash was certainly thrilling to watch, considering their demographics overlap (well, one might argue that their demographics are exactly the same). 1D ended up winning the debut week in the UK, whereas JB beat the boys pretty much everywhere else. Beyond the exciting first week, 'Made in the A.M' felt like an era that came and went, what with it being Zayn-less I can understand the need to rush through so that the guys could focus on their solo projects. I love the starry "What a Feeling" and sensual "Love You Goodbye". I wish those two tracks were pushed as singles. Overall, though, while not close to their best, this was a decent curtain call.
            Code:
            Year Released: 2015
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Drag Me Down (x2)
            Other Key Songs: What a Feeling; Love You Goodbye; Perfect
            089. Justin Bieber - Purpose

Well, speak of the devil. Bieber can chalk this as another stroke in his wins column over the boys. I must say that this was an era where the GP certainly took to Bieber's music more than I did, which was a first. "Company" never flourished the way I felt it deserved to, but this was an enormous era for the pop star. It's not his best work, though.
            Code:
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Sorry (x1)
            Other Key Songs: Company; What Do You Mean?; Love Yourself; No Pressure; No Sense
            088. Luke James - Luke James

An underheralded R&B/soul talent, Luke James delivered some pretty special vocal performances on his self-titled LP, including a cover of Sam Smith's breakthrough solo hit, "Stay with Me". By virtue of being the superior singer, Luke's interpretation of the song reaches emotional depths and vocal highs that Sam's original doesn't, but overall, this is a solid R&B album from start to finish. Lyrically, I do think there's room for improvement, but I was so enamoured with his voice, I didn't care too much for some of the LP's minor flaws.
            Code:
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Trouble (x2); Dancing in the Dark (x1)
            Other Key Songs: Stay with Me; Glass House; Exit Wounds; Options
            087. Zayn - Mind of Mine

Zayn is the only 1D guy who managed to get one of his solo albums on my albums list. This was a promising debut, but goodness gracious, at 20 tracks long, it really could've been trimmed to 12/13 songs. His voice is a big selling point throughout, but the production is pretty good, too.
            Code:
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Pillowtalk (x2); Rear View (x2); It's You (x1)
            Other Key Songs: Golden; Tio; She; Drunk; Like I Would
            086. Delta Goodrem - Wings of the Wild

Fierce, uplifting, contemplative - Delta traverses a good bit of terrain on this LP and keeps me well-fastened and sated in the passenger seat.
            Code:
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: I'm Not Giving Up (x2); Wings (x1); Dear Life (x1)
            Other Key Songs: Feline; The River; Heavy; Enough

Comment

085. Usher - Looking 4 Myself

Usher's never really been an albums artist for me, so there are some album tracks on this that are painfully average and forgettable, but the highs are pretty special and rank among some of the best songs he's ever done. Most fans fawn over "Climax", but "Dive" and "Scream" are underheralded gems.
              Code:
              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Dive (x1); Scream (x1)
              Other Key Songs: Climax; Euphoria; Lemme See
              084. Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire

"THIS MILK IS EXPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED!" I'll always live for that meme, even more so than the song from which its inspiration was derived. Piano balladry is in Alicia Keys's veins as much as shade was in Prince's, so 'Girl on Fire' is very much a classic AK album. I love the softer ballads here, though. She emotes really well on them and the lyrical relevance hit pretty hard for me.
              Code:
              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Girl on Fire (x1); Tears Always Win (x1)
              Other Key Songs: Brand New Me; Not Even the King; That's When I Knew; When It's All Over
              083. SZA - Ctrl

A much-beloved album, I've definitely spent a good bit of time with 'Ctrl' trying to hear what so many have and maybe I'm just not there yet. Perhaps, in a few years' time, the lyrics will be more accessible, but for now, I appreciate it as a quality R&B body of work, with excellent songwriting and decent production.
              Code:
              Year Released: 2017
              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Pretty Little Birds (x2); The Weekend (x1)
              Other Key Songs: 20 Something; Broken Clocks; Love Galore; Prom
              082. Céline Dion - Loved Me Back to Life

Céline Dion has such a regal voice and approach to her brand of balladry. Interestingly enough, my actual favourites from this album are the tracks that failed to make it to #1. On "Water and a Flame" and "Breakaway", those thunder-strong belts that millions around the world fell in love with in the 90s prove themselves sharp and ready for the task all those many years later, and "At Seventeen" is this really tender, introspective moment that I connect with so deeply. I doubt Céline could actually record a poor album if she tried, but this is certainly one of her better ones from the ones I've explored thus far (a full Céline exploration is in progress and a tribute to the vocal titan pending).
              Code:
              Year Released: 2013
              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Somebody Loves Somebody (x1); Loved Me Back to Life (x1)
              Other Key Songs: Water and a Flame; Breakaway; At Seventeen
              081. Lindsey Stirling - Brave Enough

When more than two-thirds of an artist's spins comes from a singular song that does so much in its restoration of peace to one's psyche, it can sometimes be a challenge to step out of that mega-song and explore and appreciate other things the artist has done. On 'Brave Enough', violinist extraordinaire Lindsey Stirling proves she has the chops to put together a super solid album. The instrumental-only pieces are beautiful and I still contend that that's where her genius best flourishes, but the tracks with vocals are pretty damn good, too. I actually don't think there's a single bad/weak song on this; it just came down to me selecting certain favourites, sticking firmly to them, and not really exploring the 'just good' ones as much as I could/should have.
              Code:
              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: The Arena (x2)
              Other Key Songs: Hold My Heart; Something Wild; The Phoenix; Prism; Lost Girls; Don't Let This Feeling Fade; Brave Enough

Comment

"Overexposed" is great, actually the first album by Maroon 5 that I ever bought. "Payphone" was the song that got me into them. Still my favorite by them. That song ruled my summer of 2012. I also love "Daylight" and "Sad" from that album.

"Girl On Fire" is such an underrated record in Alicia's discography. It's definitely one of my favorites. One of my favorite songs, "Brand New Me" is included on the record. Also, I love "Not Even The King", "Girl On Fire", "That's When I Knew", "New Day" and "101" but especially "When It's All Over" which should have been a single.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                  "Overexposed" is great, actually the first album by Maroon 5 that I ever bought. "Payphone" was the song that got me into them. Still my favorite by them. That song ruled my summer of 2012. I also love "Daylight" and "Sad" from that album.

"Girl On Fire" is such an underrated record in Alicia's discography. It's definitely one of my favorites. One of my favorite songs, "Brand New Me" is included on the record. Also, I love "Not Even The King", "Girl On Fire", "That's When I Knew", "New Day" and "101" but especially "When It's All Over" which should have been a single.
                  It took me five years to really enjoy "Payphone"! It's now one of my fave M5 songs, though.

I knew you'd appreciate the AK album. I think people gave the lead single too much grief, to be honest. The album's sound is really a softer tone and pretty straightforward, classic R&B.

Comment

080. Kelly Rowland - Talk a Good Game

My favourite Kelly Rowland album, 'Talk a Good Game' saw the Destiny offspring share some harsh, painful truths. Although "Dirty Laundry" certainly snagged the headlines, my highlight is actually "Down on Love", a smooth, emotional jam about dating/courtship fatigue - I wouldn't relate to this for another half-decade, but her exhaustion is so palpable in her delivery. Overall, this is a really solid album, with some of her career-finest work.
                    Code:
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Down on Love (x1); Dirty Laundry (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: Freak; Kisses Down Low; Talk a Good Game; You Changed
                    079. The Weeknd - Starboy

Production! That's always a big selling point of the Weeknd's music, but perhaps no moreso on any other of his albums than this one. I'm not even sure there's a line across the nearly-20-track-long album that I relate to, but the fresh sonic appeal of this is irresistible. His songs go off in the car!
                    Code:
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Starboy (x2)
                    Other Key Songs: Six Feet Under; Party Monster; Die for You; I Feel It Coming; Ordinary Life; Nothing Without You
                    078. Adam Lambert - Trespassing

The follow-up to 'For Your Entertainment', this one didn't slap quite as hard, but the electro-pop, dancefloor stunners are there in full force with "Never Close Our Eyes" and "Trespassing", tucked in seamlessly alongside the emotional ballads "Outlaws of Love" and "Underneath". They always say to get you a singer that can do both and Adam has certainly been that for me for the entirety of his career, and from a queer POV, I certainly appreciate his that rare lens into the love subject matter.
                    Code:
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Never Close Our Eyes (x1); Outlaws of Love (x1); Trespassing (x1); Underneath (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: Broken English; Naked Love
                    077. Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy

'Invasion of Privacy' was a great debut album for Cardi B. She has this rawness and energy that makes her such an enthralling, intriguing personality and that's channeled throughout the LP. Even when she's vulnerable on "Be Careful", there's this edgy swagger and fierceness that I love so much.
                    Code:
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Bodak Yellow (x5); Money Bag (x2); Be Careful (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: Bartier Cardi; I Do; I Like It; Thru Your Phone
                    076. Fantasia - Side Effects of You

There are tonnes of shades of R&B and I love the variety represented on 'Side Effects of You'. Fantasia gives you the classic, soul-infused balladry with "Lose to Win"; the more beat-driven, club-ready banger groove on "Without Me"; and a big funk party anthem in "Get It Right". For me, this is her best album.
                    Code:
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Lose to Win (x1); Without Me (x1); Get It Right (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: Side Effects of You; Ain't All Bad

Comment

075. Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born

'A Star Is Born' might have been a crap movie, but the soundtrack was certainly terrific, at least the Gaga-centric songs. It was nice to see Gaga step away from the dancefloor and take on some big, emotional pop ballads, as they really showcased her beautiful voice that I think the GP underrates/underappreciates. And, of course, we got that iconic bellow she blessed us with on "Shallow".
                      Code:
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Shallow (x10); I'll Never Love Again (x5); Always Remember Us This Way (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: Why Did You Do That?; I Don't Know What Love Is; Hair Body Face; Before I Cry
                      074. Meghan Trainor - Title

I remember there being a drought in the early first quarter of 2015 and listening to "All About That Bass" took me out of the music funk I'd been in at that time. Megan's sound was this doo-wop flavoured pop music that had strong, uplifting, body-positive messages, and I was sold instantly.
                      Code:
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Dear Future Husband (x2); No Good for You (x1); All About That Bass (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: My Selfish Heart; Like I'm Gonna Lose You; Lips Are Movin'
                      073. Kesha - Animal

There was so much going on behind the scenes with Kesha at the time, unbeknownst to most folks, who saw this as the carefree, party pop LP of the 2010s. I remember really loving Kesha's style during this era. It's not easy carving out your own lane in pop, but she did just that and delivered some pretty impressive hits.
                      Code:
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Tik Tok (x8); Blah Blah Blah (x3); Your Love Is My Drug (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: Take It Off; Kiss n Tell; Blind
                      072. Madonna - MDNA

I believe this isn't one of Madge's most popular fans - among her fans, critics, and the GP - but I actually like it a good bit. Of course, my first deviation from conventional pop wisdom is believing that "Give Me All Your Luvin'" is one of her career-best bops, but even beyond that big highlight, the production is strong throughout, the lyrics are good, she's got some pretty impressive and memorable hooks. This ticks a lot of the boxes for 'quality pop album', for me anyway.
                      Code:
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Give Me All Your Luvin' (x8); Best Friend (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: Masterpiece; Girl Gone Wild; I Don't Give A; Gang Bang; I'm a Sinner
                      071. Miley Cyrus - Bangerz

Miley's 'Can't Be Tamed', Hannah Montana image-shedding era didn't go down well with the GP, but three years later, with her second swing, she hit two big home-runs in "Wrecking Ball" and "We Can't Stop". She certainly had an interesting image this era, but I did enjoy a good bit of the music, which was pretty in line with the pop music she'd always done, though she took the liberty to explore some more controversial themes, like drug use.
                      Code:
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Wrecking Ball (x10); We Can't Stop (x1); Hands in the Air (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: FU; Someone Else; Do My Thang

Comment

070. Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear

The first Sia album I explored in its entirety, '1000 Forms of Fear' felt like Sia's mainstream debut. I've seen a lot of criticism from her long-time fans for the sound being "too commercial" and the approach "formulaic", but I really like it. I feel like she still manages to communicate the big emotional moments well and that certainly seems to have been a trademark skill of hers in her early work.
                        Code:
                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Chandelier (x11); Dressed in Black (x1)
                        Other Key Songs: Elastic Heart; Big Girls Cry; Fire Meet Gasoline; Free the Animal
                        069. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The emperor of production in the hip/hop game, 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is classic Kanye West. I think I admire the arrangements more than the lyrics on this album, though it is noteworthy to mention that this album is home to what I contend is the strongest rap verse in hip/hop history - Onika's decimation in her "Monster" feature.
                        Code:
                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Power (x1); All of the Lights (x1)
                        Other Key Songs: Monster; Blame Game; Runaway; Gorgeous; So Appalled
                        068. Madonna - Rebel Heart

A solid album from music's pop queen, 'Rebel Heart' only falters because of its excessive length. Had this been edited to 13/14 songs, this could've been such a great LP. Although "Ghosttown" is among Madge's career top 10 songs, I have to give special mention to "Veni Vidi Vici", which so brilliantly captures her immense legacy. No other artist has recorded such an impressive self-tribute, and really, few even have the catalogue where they could.
                        Code:
                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Ghosttown (x6); Joan of Arc (x3); Devil Pray (x2); Veni Vidi Vici (x1)
                        Other Key Songs: Living for Love; Rebel Heart; Inside Out; HeartBreakCity
                        067. Ariana Grande - Sweetener

Ranking 'Sweetener' was a challenge as the album's two titans spent an almost combined two months atop my daily chart - "Breathin" alone spent more than a month at #1 - and both "Breathin" (no. 2) and "God Is a Woman" (no. 10) finished among my top 10 songs of the 2010s. Throw in "No Tears Left to Cry" and you've got one Ari album with three of my four most-played tracks from the pop superstar, yet I still feel comfortable ranking it as her lowest album because the depth just isn't there. I do love the fact that she took on themes like anxiety and depression on this project, though. Interestingly enough, Gaga's soundtrack album up to this pre-'Sweetener' point had spent the most time at #1 on my daily chart, with 16 days, and Ari absolutely annihilates that with 52 days.
                        Code:
                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Breathin (x32); God Is a Woman (x18); No Tears Left to Cry (x2)
                        Other Key Songs: Everytime; Get Well Soon; The Light Is Coming
                        066. Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

Like a number of R&B and hip/hop acts, Onika prefers to give us saturated albums. Fortunately, they're usually saturated with hip/hop excellence, but on her sophomore album, she experienced a bit of a slump in quality. Across all its versions, there are 12 big keeper tracks, which is an impressive total, but when you consider the full population, you realise that there's a decent bit of filler that could've been edited out. I do like how deliberate she was, separating the album into two halves: dance and pop, and R&B and hip/hop. Even this, her weakest album, showcases her unrivalled versatility among her peers. It's the first album in this countdown to have as many as five #1 hits (and as many as 12 no. 1/key tracks)
                        Code:
                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Right by My Side (x7); Va Va Voom (x3); Starships (x2); Pound the Alarm (x1); Automatic (x1)
                        Other Key Songs: Roman Holiday; High School; Marilyn Monroe; Come on a Cone; I Am Your Leader; Beez in the Trap; Whip It

Comment

We breach significance zone 'two' with this set.

065. David Guetta - Nothing but the Beat

'Nothing but the Beat' is another album filled with pure, unadulterated, shameless dance-pop bops. There are so many hits on this album and from an impressively broad range of vocalists, but it's obviously most notable (for me) for "Titanium", my #1 song of the 2010s.
                          Code:
                          Significance Rating: 2/20
                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Titanium (x39); Turn Me On (x3); Where Them Girls At (x1)
                          Other Key Songs: Night of Your Life; She Wolf (Falling to Pieces); Without You
                          064. The Weeknd - Beauty Behind the Madness

My favourite album from the Weeknd, 'Beauty Behind the Madness' was such a massive success that there was really no avoiding it. When it's all said and done, I still think "Can't Feel My Face" will go done as his signature song.
                          Code:
                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Often (x1)
                          Other Key Songs: Can't Feel My Face; The Hills; Shameless; Acquainted; Tell Your Friends
                          063. Ariana Grande - Yours Truly

Ari's debut album felt like a contemporary pop take on classic, old school, soul/R&B balladry. Songs like "Tattooed Heart" could just as easily have been recorded in the 90s. I will admit that at the time I was such a huge MC fan that I wasn't totally sold on an act whose style seemed to borrow so heavily from the songwriter supreme, but Ari would evolve into an artist with her signature style, so that reluctance/hesitation would inevitably fade. Still, this was a solid debut.
                          Code:
                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Honeymoon Avenue (x3); The Way (x1); Right There (x1)
                          Other Key Songs: Tattooed Heart; Baby I; Almost Is Never Enough; Popular Song
                          062. Ariana Grande - My Everything

There's a fan favourite on 'My Everything' - "Break Free" - that I've really tried to love, but I think "decent appreciation" is as far as I'll ever get with it. Still, it's strong enough that it (barely) qualified as an "other key song". Although it's only slightly higher than its predecessor album, I was really getting into Ari and her sound at this time. Those soft vocals that could so effortless ride an R&B/pop wave, then be elastic enough to scale a run started to impress me on 'My Everything' and she really started settling into an image and sound during this era that would set the stage beautifully for her magnum opus.
                          Code:
                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Bang Bang (x3); Best Mistake (x1); Be My Baby (x1)
                          Other Key Songs: One Last Time; Problem; Love Me Harder; Break Free
                          061. Alicia Keys - HERE

I have a unique appreciation for this album. First off, it's my favourite AK LP. I remember being so bored with music and when "In Common" came out, I got excited again - "In Common" eventually became my fave AK song. Then there's "Holy War", a song that so brilliantly captured my post-November-8 feelings, the bicurious "Where Do We Begin Now", belting ballads "Pawn It All" and "Illusion of Bliss". I love the storytelling, the production, and the vocals on this. I really don't think 'HERE' gets the love it deserves.
                          Code:
                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: In Common (x5); Hallelujah (x2); Holy War (x1); Pawn It All (x1)
                          Other Key Songs: Illusion of Bliss; Where Do We Begin Now; More Than We Know

Comment

060. Marina & the Diamonds - Electra Heart

One of my favourite discoveries of 2012, Marina (then with her diamonds) introduced me to a brand of electro-pop that was so fresh to me at that point in time. I love the production and the lyrics on this.
                            Code:
                            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Primadonna (x1); Homewrecker (x1)
                            Other Key Songs: Starring Role; Lies; Bubblegum Bitch; How to Be a Heartbreaker; Power & Control
                            059. Britney Spears - Britney Jean

I don't think most Britney fans would dispute this being the pop princess's weakest album. I think the Vegas residency was really the focal point for her and her team in 2013, so this was a pretty lazy effort, where Brit Brit just phoned it in (and allegedly didn't even do that on certain tracks). Still, even at her worst, Brit Brit still effortlessly creates pop magic. Though it doesn't have the intense snap of "Work Bitch" or the dazzling breeziness (and 180'ed song/video storytelling) of "Perfume", I've always loved "Alien". I wish that one were pushed as a single. It's beautiful.
                            Code:
                            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Work Bitch (x6); Perfume (x3); Alien (x2); 'Til It's Gone (x1); Now That I Found You (x1)
                            Other Key Songs: It Should Be Easy; Tik Tik Boom
                            058. Frank Ocean - Blonde

The long-awaited return from R&B's big enigma, 'Blonde' certainly made a big splash for me when it was released. For me, it lived up to the hype, though I do feel like I connect more with the straightforward songs Frank does. The emotion of "Ivy" still gets to me to this day.
                            Code:
                            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Ivy (x2); Nights (x2); Solo (x1)
                            Other Key Songs: Pink + White; Futura Free; Self Control; Seigfried; Nikes
                            057. Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

This album really took years to grow on me. I think it has some enormously special highs and some absolute borefests, so basically when it's good, it's damn good, and when it's not, it's painfully bleh. I think this will be a challenging classic for him to top, though he did come dangerously close with 'Blonde'.
                            Code:
                            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Bad Religion (x3); Thinkin Bout You (x3); Sweet Life (x1)
                            Other Key Songs: Pink Matter; Pyramids; Forrest Gump; Super Rich Kids
                            056. Mika - No Place in Heaven

The top LP from an openly queer artist to feature on this countdown, Mika delivers his charismatic and signature high-energy brand of pop, fused with those sweeping melodies and soaring falsettos that nearly mask deeply forlorn lyrics. This was the first album where Mika openly addressed his sexual orientation and I love that that exploration involved religion as a main topic.
                            Code:
                            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Promiseland (x2); Talk About You (x1); All She Wants (x1); No Place in Heaven (x1)
                            Other Key Songs: Good Guys; Last Party

Comment

055. Chris Brown - X

'X' may have been lost in the three million albums with 8.6 billion songs he's thrown at us since, but I think this album has his finest songs. It's highlighted by three key female features, all of which went to #1 on my daily chart, but it's a diverse record - heartfelt ballads, party anthems, classic and clean R&B jams.
                              Code:
                              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Don't Think They Know (x3); Drunk Texting (x2); Do Better (x1)
                              Other Key Songs: Loyal; Autumn Leaves; X; Love More; Songs on 12 Play; Fine China; Time for Love
                              054. Various Artists - Frozen Soundtrack

Frozen is my favourite Disney movie and one of my all-time favourite films. I found Elsa to be such a relatable character. The plot for the first film was terrific and the soundtrack was just as good! The songs are great as standalone gems, but in the context of the movie, they're brilliant tie-ins!
                              Code:
                              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: For the First Time in Forever (x7); Let It Go (x4); Love Is an Open Door (x1)
                              Other Key Songs: Fixer Upper; Frozen Heart; Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
                              053. Rihanna - Talk That Talk

In hindsight, this album isn't that bad, but any Rihanna LP that can only manage three chart-toppers for a combined meagre total of seven days is clearly not the brilliance of which my Bajan queen is capable. This was released as the third of her string of four albums in four years and I think the creativity sunk into the abyss here, even if she managed her biggest global smash during this era.
                              Code:
                              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Where Have You Been (x3); We Found Love (x3); You Da One (x1)
                              Other Key Songs: Drunk on Love; Talk That Talk; Fool in Love; Farewell; Birthday Cake; Roc Me Out
                              052. Eminem - Recovery

My favourite Eminem record and one of my favourite hip/hop albums ever, 'Recovery' definitely returned Eminem back to prominence on all fronts: commercial, critical, fan support. It's just a solid album from start to finish, with few road bumps.
                              Code:
                              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Not Afraid (x4); Love the Way You Lie (x4)
                              Other Key Songs: Talkin' 2 Myself; Cold Wind Blows; 25 to Life; No Love; So Bad; Seduction; Space Bound; Cinderella Man
                              051. Usher - Raymond v. Raymond

I do remember a lot of Usher's core fans not loving the electro-pop and dance influence on this album, but I always applaud diversity in sound and I thought he did a grade A exploration of those genres, while still delivering stellar, genuine R&B magic. I suspect it's a controversial pick, but this is my favourite Usher album.
                              Code:
                              No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: OMG (x12); DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love (x3); Lil Freak (x2)
                              Other Key Songs: Hot Tottie; Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home); There Goes My Baby; More; Papers; Making Love (Into the Night); Okay; Love 'Em All; Lay You Down

Comment

050. Jordin Sparks - Right Here, Right Now

It took six years for my first music love to get everything in line for her third album and despite the shockingly abysmal sales, I think 'Right Here, Right Now' was a mature album, featuring a necessary shift in sound to a more R&B groove. It's disappointing that the GP just weren't here for it in the slightest.
                                Code:
                                Significance Rating: 3/20
                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Double Tap (x2); Silhouette (x1); Left...Right? (x1); They Don't Give (x1)
                                Other Key Songs: Casual Love; Unhappy; Tell Him That I Love Him; It Ain't You
                                049. Christina Aguilera - Lotus

Christina Aguilera released three solid pop albums throughout the 2010s and this is the first of the trio. It's got everything you want from her - sexy club bops and big power ballads. I'll always love that voice and she uses its full range here liberally, as she tends to.
                                Code:
                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Army of Me (x6); Your Body (x3); Just a Fool (x1); Blank Page (x1)
                                Other Key Songs: Cease Fire; Red Hot Kinda Love; Sing for Me
                                048. Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material

2015 was a tough year, tough to the extent that I only managed to string together 22 albums instead of the usual 25 for my year-end albums countdown that year. 'Pageant Material' was #1 then, though it fails to replicate its top dog status in this decade-end wrap-up. Still, this is another impressive album from Kacey, featuring quality and relatable songwriting, and a welcome, progressive spin on country music.
                                Code:
                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Biscuits (x2); Good Ol' Boys Club (x1); Cup of Tea (x1)
                                Other Key Songs: This Town; Pageant Material; High Time; Dime Store Cowgirl; Late to the Party; Fine; Die Fun; Are You Sure
                                047. Taylor Swift - Reputation

Certainly the weakest album from an otherwise impressive string of LPs from T-Swizzle last decade, 'Reputation' saw the megastar take the snake label the GP'd handed her and run with it...perhaps too far, in my view. Her seamlessly falling into and embracing the victim role rubbed me the wrong way, as did the near-metallic and grating production on some of the tracks, but, as always, I have to applaud her storytelling skills. The critics are just starting to appreciate her brilliance in that regard, but her pen game has always been rivalled only by a select few.
                                Code:
                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Getaway Car (x2); Call It What You Want (x2); I Did Something Bad (x1); Look What You Made Me Do (x1); Delicate (x1)
                                Other Key Songs: ...Ready for It?; This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things; Dress; Dancing with Our Hands Tied; End Game
                                046. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

All of Kacey's albums are good, but 'Golden Hour' has my favourite Kacey songs. Following her divorce this year, a fan posted that "Kacey Musgraves is divorced after writing Golden Hour about how happy and safe love made her feel". There's a sick sense of humour there, but I love the tentativeness of the lyrics, the absence of surety, the little glimmer of hope that she saw and clasped onto as a way to rid her of doubt and anxiety that everything that feels beautiful and warm inevitably dies and turns cold. But damn, I mean, anybody that can inspire "Oh, What a World" surely had to have been a quality relationship partner to have for the brief time they were together.
                                Code:
                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Happy & Sad (x1); High Horse (x1)
                                Other Key Songs: Oh, What a World; Rainbow; Lonely Weekend; Slow Burn' Golden Hour; Space Cowboy

Comment

045. Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION

A pop album with some of the decade's most enthralling highlights, this release validated Carly Rae Jepsen as a credible artist in the eyes of many a pop fan, and even managed to win over critics. It's only the GP that didn't buy in to the awesomeness.
                                  Code:
                                  No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Run Away with Me (x4); Love Again (x3); Making the Most of the Night (x1); I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance (x1)
                                  Other Key Songs: E•MO•TION; I Really Like You
                                  044. Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed

Miley's first post-Hannah Montana album, 'Can't Be Tamed' is a strong LP featuring some of her career-finest songs. At the time of its release, I had just turned 15, so the rebellious theme definitely resonated with teenage me deeply. In my view, this is actually her most underrated album. Few people appreciate it as much as I feel they should.
                                  Code:
                                  No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Two More Lonely People (x4); Can't Be Tamed (x4); Who Owns My Heart (x4)
                                  Other Key Songs: Robot; Stay; Liberty Walk
                                  043. Britney Spears - Glory

Next week makes four years since this, Britney's last album, and it was a rather good one. I love that we got some high-quality ballads, alongside her usual club-bangers. A number of fans have interpreted "Man on the Moon" to be the "Oops!...I Did It Again" sequel and that poignant track is my highlight of a strong pop record.
                                  Code:
                                  No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Man on the Moon (x3); Slumber Party (x3); Just Luv Me (x1); Love Me Down (x1); Do You Wanna Come Over? (x1)
                                  Other Key Songs: Make Me...; Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes); Coupure Électrique; Mood Ring; Liar; Just Like Me
                                  042. Taylor Swift - Lover

I'll never forgive Taylor for those dire first two singles - never! She really had me bracing myself for the worst album of her career. 'Lover' is in direct contrast to the dark, grungy album that preceded it; it's softer and mellower, more bright and hopeful. You really get the sense that she was in a much healthier headspace when writing and recording this.
                                  Code:
                                  Year Released: 2019
                                  No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: The Man (x6); Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince (x1); Lover (x1)
                                  Other Key Songs: Daylight; Afterglow; Cruel Summer; False God; It's Nice to Have a Friend; I Think He Knows; I Forgot That You Existed
                                  041. Katy Perry - PRISM

Although her picks weren't as poor as Taylor's during her 'Lover' era, Katy reducing "Walking on Air" to a background, possibly forgotten album track is absolutely one of the worst decisions she and her team have ever made, especially considering the continuity that would have had for her 'Teenage Dream' sound and image. It really would've been a killer first or second single. At any rate, this was my #1 album of 2013 on that year's album countdown, though it's outranked by a few 2013 LPs here.
                                  Code:
                                  No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Walking on Air (x2); Dark Horse (x2); Ghost (x1)
                                  Other Key Songs: Legendary Lovers; Unconditionally; By the Grace of God; Roar; This Is How We Do; Birthday

Comment

040. Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty

Bolstered no doubt by my having attended the 'Cry Pretty Tour 360', which was one of the highlights of my 2019, 'Cry Pretty' is still arguably my least-favourite Carrie Underwood album. The fact that it still finishes relatively high on this decade-end wrap-up is a testament to the might of her discography. Back to the concert, though, it's certainly a special experience getting to see one of your all-time favourite acts interpret in a live setting music that you've spent a good bit of time with and I love the way she repurposed some songs, giving "Drinking Alone" a sultry and deservedly jazzier arrangement, 'countrifying' to the nth power "End Up with You" with a cute honky tonk drum solo, transforming "The Champion" into a true empowerment anthem and display of resilience for her fans. I think I even left that night appreciating "Southbond" more just because of how much the crowd got into it. Of course, one of the few sour notes on the album is "Love Wins" not having as much of a queer slant as I'd hoped for, but perhaps that was an unreasonable ask for someone whose core audience is still largely conservative and country.
                                    Code:
                                    Significance Rating: 4/20
                                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: End Up with You (x3); Love Wins (x3); The Champion (x2); Drinking Alone (x1); Cry Pretty (x1)
                                    Other Key Songs: Backsliding; Kingdom; Low; Southbound
                                    039. Rihanna - ANTI

The first album on the countdown with as many as seven #1 hits on my daily chart, 'ANTI' is still a strange album for me in that the GP and casual fans really do seem to love it even more than I do, and as a staunch, card-carrying member of the Navy, that's an unfamiliar position for me. Rihanna's career has seen her traverse all conceivable genres, but pop has really been her bread and butter, despite her crossover into R&B. 'ANTI' is her most R&B album to date and that's why it's not quite up there with her best for me. It's grown on me quite a bit since its release, though, and considering that it's still her most recent album and there doesn't seem to be any immediate plans for R9, I'll probably continue to spend time with it and see if any new songs click. I will say that the production on this album is terrific and her vocals just keep getting stronger; 'ANTI' certainly has her best vocals.
                                    Code:
                                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Love on the Brain (x3); Kiss It Better (x2); Higher (x1); Needed Me (x1); Desperado (x1); Work (x1); Pose (x1)
                                    Other Key Songs: Consideration; Yeah, I Said It; Close to You
                                    038. Lady Gaga - Joanne

I've seen criticism for 'Joanne' with fans saying that it's a boring attempt of Gaga playing southern country housewife and though I certainly see the merits in that dig, I do like that after the wild ride of 'ARTPOP', she tamed things down and gave us such a smooth pop record. Is it safe? Absolutely. I don't find it boring, though, and I like the straightforward storytelling vibe of the LP. Similarly to 'ANTI', this also managed seven #1 hits on my daily chart.
                                    Code:
                                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Million Reasons (x8); Perfect Illusion (x2); Dancin' in Circles (x1); Angel Down (x1); Diamond Heart (x1); Sinner's Prayer (x1); Joanne (x1)
                                    Other Key Songs: A-Yo; John Wayne; Come to Mama
                                    037. Lady Gaga - ARTPOP

It's so weird "Venus" never went to #1 on my chart! This was the era where SS Germanotta sprung a leak and starting sinking. Honestly, though, it couldn't have had anything to do with the quality of the music, as it was strong, as per usual with Gaga. I do love "Do What U Want" - Gaga's second-finest song for me after "Bad Romance" - but, visually, that "ARTPOP"/"Venus"/"G.U.Y." film is the most criminally underrated masterpiece Gaga's concocted.
                                    Code:
                                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Do What U Want (x14); Applause (x4); ARTPOP (x3); G.U.Y. (x3); Aura (x1)
                                    Other Key Songs: Venus; Gypsy; Sexxx Dreams; Mary Jane Holland; Jewels n' Drugs; Dope
                                    036. Carrie Underwood - Blown Away

The first album from my country music queen where she explored some mature themes in her songwriting, 'Blown Away' is home to quite possibly my favourite Carrie Underwood song, but beyond that titan track, there's just great storytelling, fresh and varied production (within the constraints of country-pop music), and of course powerful vocals throughout. She and her team nailed the single choices this era.
                                    Code:
                                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Blown Away (x25); Good Girl (x10); Two Black Cadillacs (x1); See You Again (x1)
                                    Other Key Songs: Cupid's Got a Shotgun; Who Are You; One Way Ticket; Leave Love Alone; Wine After Whiskey; Good in Goodbye

Comment

035. Tinashe - Songs for You

Tinashe is an artist so many on UKMix seemed to love more than I do. I tried getting into her music, but it seemed that she was more of a singles act for me, or at least she was until 'Songs for You' was released. The music on this is incredible. The production, the vocals, the lyrics, the diversity she's able to serve - the talent is crystal-clear and I'm just disappointed that this LP (as well as its predecessors) failed to get the love it deserved. So much of it is accessible, in my view.
                                      Code:
                                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Know Better (x2); So Much Better (x1); Stormy Weather (x1); Die a Little Bit (x1)
                                      Other Key Songs: Save Room for Us; Perfect Crime; Feelings; Touch & Go
                                      034. Adele - 25

Trying to live up to hype is something that breaks a lot of artists, but on '25', Adele manages to strike gold once more, with her strong storytelling skills, improved vocals, and simple but classic production. I do think the single choices were atrocious, though - "Million Years Ago" would have slayed with an official release.
                                      Code:
                                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: River Lea (x10); Million Years Ago (x4); Hello (x3); When We Were Young (x1); All I Ask (x1); Send My Love (To Your New Lover) (x1)
                                      Other Key Songs: Water Under the Bridge; Love in the Dark; Remedy; I Miss You
                                      033. One Direction - Take Me Home

1D really slammed us with this pop gem in 2012 and I don't think anyone expected it. It was such a massive step-up from their previous release. It's teeny-bopper music, yes, but the infectiousness is insane!
                                      Code:
                                      Significance Rating: 5/20
                                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Kiss You (x3); Live While We're Young (x1); Little Things (x1); Still the One (x1)
                                      Other Key Songs: They Don't Know About Us; She's Not Afraid; Rock Me; C'mon, C'mon; Heart Attack; I Would; Last First Kiss
                                      032. Christina Aguilera - Bionic

This album is just too lengthy. It has some absolutely stunning ballads. "You Lost Me" features some of the most heart-wrenching vocal flutters I've ever heard and "Lift Me Up" is a song I turn to when my mood or spirit dives into the abyss (or deep end, as Gaga might put it). It also has some sexy, saucy club-bangers. Christina always gives us range on her albums, and in more ways than one, and I certainly applaud her for that. I know this album has become a bit of a running joke for its performance on the charts, but if we're talking quality, the gag is that this is better than almost every other album released in 2010.
                                      Code:
                                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Lift Me Up (x7); Not Myself Tonight (x5); You Lost Me (x3); Woohoo (x2); Prima Donna (x1); Stronger Than Ever (x1); I Am (x1)
                                      Other Key Songs: Birds of Prey; Vanity
                                      031. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next

This was the final nail in the coffin for me as far as my love for Ari was concerned. The fact that she'd delivered my no. 1 and no. 2 song of 2018, then doubled back and released my second-favourite album of 2019 a few months later, I was shooketh. Her voice just works so well on the music she sings. It's soft and shimmery, elastic and powerful, light and conversational - by this time, she'd really developed a mastery for her instrument (and her unique sound) and I just loved it.
                                      Code:
                                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Thank U, Next (x6); 7 Rings (x5); Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (x3); In My Head (x3); Needy (x1); Bloodline (x1); Imagine (x1)
                                      Other Key Songs: Ghostin; Fake Smile; NASA

Comment

030. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

Bruno always releases albums that are the epitome of short and sweet. I love the retro R&B styling here.
                                        Code:
                                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: That's What I Like (x3); Finesse (x1); 24K Magic (x1)
                                        Other Key Songs: Calling All My Lovelies; Chunky; Straight Up & Down; Too Good to Say Goodbye; Versace on the Floor
                                        029. Kelly Clarkson - Meaning of Life

A decade and a half into her career, KC finally gave us the soul-pop album Idol fans had been waiting on since her winning run on the reality TV series and it was well worth the wait. Shout-out to the brilliant message on the Michelle-Obama-inspired "Go High".
                                        Code:
                                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Slow Dance (x3); Go High (x2); Love So Soft (x1); Meaning of Life (x1); Move You (x1)
                                        Other Key Songs: Whole Lotta Woman; Don't You Pretend
                                        028. Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox

'Unorthodox Jukebox' features Bruno's best vocals. His debut album was already good, but this was a massive step-up on all fronts.
                                        Code:
                                        Significance Rating: 6/20
                                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Gorilla (x4); Treasure (x2); Natalie (x1); Moonshine (x1)
                                        Other Key Songs: Money Make Her Smile; Locked Out of Heaven; Young Girls; When I Was Your Man; Show Me
                                        027. Lady Gaga - Born This Way

My top Gaga album of the 2010s, 'Born This Way' came off the back of a truly tremendous two-year run and Gaga definitely pushed the envelope, perhaps too far. Still, I applaud her ambition. We got some classic Gaga songs this era. I'm still shocked that "Scheiße" hasn't topped my daily chart...yet.
                                        Code:
                                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Born This Way (x7); The Edge of Glory (x3); Marry the Night (x2); Judas (x2); You and I (x1); Americano (x1); Hair (x1)
                                        Other Key Songs: Scheiße; Electric Chapel; The Queen
                                        026. Adele - 21

The biggest-selling album of the 2010s, and by some metrics the most successful album of all-time, '21' was a phenomenon. It bucked the EDM trend of that early 2010s era and proved the GP still had an affinity for simple, old-school, classic, piano-led balladry. I certainly think the GP loves this album more than I do, but "Rolling in the Deep" is truly one of the greatest songs ever recorded, so I'll always have a special love for '21' for that gem alone.
                                        Code:
                                        No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Rolling in the Deep (x14); Someone Like You (x3); Set Fire to the Rain (x2); One and Only (x1)
                                        Other Key Songs: He Won't Go; Don't You Remember; Turning Tables; Rumour Has It

Comment

025. Christina Aguilera - Liberation

The only album Christina Aguilera released in the 2010s that wasn't unnecessarily lengthy, 'Liberation' is a succinct, tailored, and diverse collection of quality songs ranging from pop to reggae to hip/hop and even R&B. It's not a long listen, but manages to be a full-course meal nonetheless.
                                          Code:
                                          Significance Rating: 7/20
                                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Fall in Line (x4); Twice (x2); Maria (x1); Pipe (x1); Right Moves (x1)
                                          Other Key Songs: Deserve; Unless It's with You
                                          024. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger

Rather paradoxially, 'Stronger' is home to KC's most overrated song/single (the near-titular track) but the album itself is her most underrated. It's laden with one deep hitter after the next, either rousing power ballads, big emotional pleas, or light-hearted and fun anthems. It's not quite on par with the KC album that preceded it, but it's a good bit better than it's given credit for.
                                          Code:
                                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: You Can't Win (x7); Mr. Know It All (x3); Don't You Wanna Stay? (x2); Einstein (x2); Dark Side (x1); Let Me Down (x1); What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)
                                          Other Key Songs: Honestly; You Love Me; Don't Be a Girl About It
                                          023. Carrie Underwood - Storyteller

Carrie wins the battle of the Idols as 'Storyteller' is the top-ranking Idol alum LP on the countdown. She also wins the battle of the 2015 releases as the album is the top record from that year, which makes 2015 (a weak year in music in general) the first year to have all its albums fall. Beyond those chart stats, this is just another quality album from the queen of country music. Great storytelling (as the title and Carrie's history would have suggested), strong vocals, good production, memorable live performances from the era. I only wish "Chaser" had gotten a proper release and push.
                                          Code:
                                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Church Bells (x10); Chaser (x3); Mexico (x1); Smoke Break (x1); Relapse (x1)
                                          Other Key Songs: Choctaw County Affair; Clock Don't Stop; Renegade Runway; Dirty Laundry; Heartbeat
                                          022. P!nk - The Truth About Love

What a great pop album! Interestingly enough, I think this is P!nk's last great album. Her follow-up releases have lacked heart.
                                          Code:
                                          Significance Rating: 8/20
                                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Try (x8); Blow Me (One Last Kiss) (x3); The King Is Dead but the Queen Is Alive (x3); Timebomb (x2); Are We All We Are (x2); Slut Like You (x1); Run (x1); True Love (x1)
                                          Other Key Songs: How Come You're Not Here; Just Give Me a Reason; The Great Escape; My Signature Move
                                          021. Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

The last time I was summarising a Nicki Minaj album ('Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded'), I highlighted that its 12 no.1/key tracks was the most at that point in the countdown (it would then be tied by Usher's 'Raymond v. Raymond'). With 'The Pinkprint', the rap queen breaks that record with 15 no. 1/key tracks. 'The Pinkprint' is definitely one of Nicki Minaj's two classic albums. It has so many of her best songs and I think it actually has her top emotional bangers. There's a great spread of topics, styles, and melody on this album. Interestingly enough, I don't like its most successful single, "Truffle Butter", but I do love most of the 20-plus songs on the record and I think the album is ageing remarkably. I could even envision a scenario where it ends up being my favourite NM album when all is said and done.
                                          Code:
                                          Significance Rating: 9/20
                                          No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: All Things Go (x5); Win Again (x2); Buy a Heart (x2); The Crying Game (x1); Bed of Lies (x1); Pills n Potions (x1)
                                          Other Key Songs: Get on Your Knees; I Lied; Want Some More; Grand Piano; The Night Is Still Young; Only; Anaconda; Trini Dem Girls; Feeling Myself

Comment

Wow, I have totally missed this. I'm not going to even pretend to try to comment on everything at this point. I did vote Janelle in the poll, more out of personal attachment more than thinking it's #1.

I guess I'll make an attempt to at least point out a few albums and maybe can at least jump in with your top 20
                                            • #98 - Sia - Wow, very low considering. Have to agree with what you wrote though. Personally, I hated Alive as I felt it was brought up to 11 way too soon, and is exhausting, but of course, the singles were all fire.
                                            • #97 - Trey Songz - Nothing to say, just I love him and I would have all of his children
                                            • #96 - Years & Years - Aww, this one being so low does disappoint me. That's probably one of my favorites of the decade.
                                            • #93 - Maroon 5 - I feel like this is peak M5 for me and the diminishing returns have been since that one. I feel like I listened to songs on their last album more out of loyalty than out of love.
                                            • #87 - Zayn - My favorite album too. I really thought he was going to break out huge like JT, but it seems he never got going after his stunning debut.
                                            • #84 - Alicia Keys - Milk is expired Actually, the parody I remember more was "This Boy is a BOTTOOOOOOM"
                                            • #79 - The Weeknd - Thank goodness for The Weeknd because I don't think there's anyone else in his lane these days and it's a void that desperately needs to be filled.
                                            • #74 - Meghan Trainor - I forget she was a thing. There was too much wink-and-nod in the music for my taste, but it was different from anything else out there. I think the timing worked out just right for her on that album. 2015 feels like a very experimental music year in retrospect.
                                            • #70 - Sia - I remember being shocked to see Sia have her first solo hit from this album, and so happy for her. I think sometimes fans don't like seeing their underground favorites succeed because it can no longer be their intimate secret, but personally, I was thrilled for her.
                                            • #69 - Kanye - This was the last album by him I really had in rotation. I did like Watch the Throne, but I've pretty much tuned out on him since.
                                            • #67 - Ariana - Ari's albums usually generate a mixed reaction for me. The singles on it were fire, but as you say, there wasn't much beyond that (The Light is Coming had potential, but the sample ruined it, and I liked REM)
                                            • #66 - Nicki Minaj - Roman Reloaded was weak sauce, and a true sophomore slump - glad she came back so hard with the next album.
                                            I will stop there and try so very hard to circle back

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                              Wow, I have totally missed this. I'm not going to even pretend to try to comment on everything at this point. I did vote Janelle in the poll, more out of personal attachment more than thinking it's #1.

I guess I'll make an attempt to at least point out a few albums and maybe can at least jump in with your top 20
                                              Thanks for popping in! I will say that I do wonder sometimes if I should do the tagging thing, but I kinda don't want to do that with personal charts...or anything else, really.

#98 - Sia - Wow, very low considering. Have to agree with what you wrote though. Personally, I hated Alive as I felt it was brought up to 11 way too soon, and is exhausting, but of course, the singles were all fire.
                                              Yeah, I felt better about that album being so 'low' since there was another Sia album higher up.

#97 - Trey Songz - Nothing to say, just I love him and I would have all of his children
                                              I still think he's fit af and I probably still wouldn't say no on a normal day, but the Keke Palmer allegations and the more recent ones from another woman have definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth as far as Tremaine is concerned.

#96 - Years & Years - Aww, this one being so low does disappoint me. That's probably one of my favorites of the decade.
                                              It was Y&Y's breakthrough LP for me, though.

#93 - Maroon 5 - I feel like this is peak M5 for me and the diminishing returns have been since that one. I feel like I listened to songs on their last album more out of loyalty than out of love.
                                              Ditto.

#87 - Zayn - My favorite album too. I really thought he was going to break out huge like JT, but it seems he never got going after his stunning debut.
                                              I have to check his stats, but I don't think I'd write him off so quickly. He's only had two solo albums, right? The first one was largely successful, the second a slump for the most part. People have recovered from their sophomore slumps.

#84 - Alicia Keys - Milk is expired Actually, the parody I remember more was "This Boy is a BOTTOOOOOOM"
                                              I remember that, too. Some of my fave Drag Race queens created and were involved in that one!

#79 - The Weeknd - Thank goodness for The Weeknd because I don't think there's anyone else in his lane these days and it's a void that desperately needs to be filled.
                                              Agreed.

#74 - Meghan Trainor - I forget she was a thing. There was too much wink-and-nod in the music for my taste, but it was different from anything else out there. I think the timing worked out just right for her on that album. 2015 feels like a very experimental music year in retrospect.
                                              Hmm...an "experimental" year? I'd say it was trash. Yeah, let's go with trash.

#70 - Sia - I remember being shocked to see Sia have her first solo hit from this album, and so happy for her. I think sometimes fans don't like seeing their underground favorites succeed because it can no longer be their intimate secret, but personally, I was thrilled for her.
                                              Yeah, I wholly agree with that bolded bit, though I can't personally relate to ever feeling that way.

#69 - Kanye - This was the last album by him I really had in rotation. I did like Watch the Throne, but I've pretty much tuned out on him since.
                                              Same, though some of his other albums afterwards had epic moments.

#67 - Ariana - Ari's albums usually generate a mixed reaction for me. The singles on it were fire, but as you say, there wasn't much beyond that (The Light is Coming had potential, but the sample ruined it, and I liked REM)
                                              There's actually still one Ari album left!

#66 - Nicki Minaj - Roman Reloaded was weak sauce, and a true sophomore slump - glad she came back so hard with the next album.

I will stop there and try so very hard to circle back
                                              Yeah, I don't think too many people would dispute that NM2 was her worst album, but she's pretty damn good even at her worst.

Thanks for taking the time out to comment!

Comment

020. Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials

This album's celestial production is what made me fall in love with Florence + the Machine. Their subsequent album was great, too, but I don't know if they'll ever top the greatness of this gem. There really isn't a weak track on the album. Special shout-out to "Seven Devils", which the ABC show 'Revenge' made me fall in love with after it soundtracked the final scene of that incredible first season.
                                                Code:
                                                Significance Rating: 10/20
                                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: No Light, No Light (x2); Seven Devils (x2); Shake It Out (x2); Only If for a Night (x1)
                                                Other Key Songs: What the Water Gave Me; Never Let Me Go; Spectrum; All This and Heaven Too
                                                019. Mariah Carey - Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse

Discounting 'Merry Christmas II You', 'Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse' was the first of the two (proper) studio albums my beloved songbird supreme released within in the 2010s. Is the album title obnoxious? Absolutely. But Mariah has always delivered in the most critical area - the music. Lyrically, so many songs on this album connect with me. Vocally, "Cry" is one of her most emotive performances of her career. Sonically, this album's rich R&B peaks in "You Don't Know What to Do" and "Dedicated" are classics already, even if only three people outside the fanbase know them. This album is certainly a big home run for me.
                                                Code:
                                                Significance Rating: 11/20
                                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Faded (x4); Meteorite (x3); The Art of Letting Go (x2); You Don't Know What to Do (x1); Thirsty (x1); #Beautiful (x1); You're Mine (Eternal) (x1)
                                                Other Key Songs: Cry; Dedicated; Camouflage
                                                018. Nicki Minaj - Queen

I didn't like this album the first time I heard it, though I will say I heard it in the middle of a trip to NYC and without headphones, so the onus was on me for not listening to it properly that first time. "Good Form" is what brought me into the 'Queen' fold and from that track, I revisited the album properly and found more gems. This album continues to grow on me; even to this day, I find new songs that I connect with, and new lyrical jewels I'd overlooked. The title itself is a weighty proclamation, but the music more than provides the receipts. In fact, with this album, she moved past Kanye West and Eminem to become my reigning monarch of hip/hop.
                                                Code:
                                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Good Form (x6); Ganja Burn (x3); Chun-Li (x2); Bed (x1); Thought I Knew You (x1)
                                                Other Key Songs: Majesty; LLC; Coco Chanel; Rich Sex; Come See About Me; Chun Swae; Barbie Dreams; Hard White; Nip/Tuck; Barbie Tingz
                                                017. Taylor Swift - Speak Now

Taylor Swift wrote all 14 songs on the standard edition of this album by herself. Even on the deluxe edition, there's only a singular song that features the writing of someone else. She's certainly to be applauded for being able to deliver such great stories on her own. I think "Enchanted" is one of the best songs ever written; it's so vivid that the scene feels tangible, and the fact that she did that by herself is impressive. Interestingly enough, the release of this album marked the peak of my love for Taylor Swift. She was coming off of the 'Fearless' era, which was the era in which I fell in love with her music, and its lead single "Mine" broke all of my daily chart records. There were such huge expectations on my end for this album and T-Swizzle delivered like Domino's.
                                                Code:
                                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Mine (x40); Sparks Fly (x4); Better Than Revenge (x4); Speak Now (x3); Back to December (x3); Enchanted (x1); The Story of Us (x1)
                                                Other Key Songs: Haunted; Mean; Innocent
                                                016. Lana Del Rey - Norman F**king Rockwell!

This was another album that was a bit clumsy to rank because I like or love absolutely every song on it. There's absolutely no clunker on it at all, and it was such an easy pick of my top 2019 album last year (and dutifully finishes as the top 2019 LP on this countdown). Honestly, post-'Born to Die', Lana's music really felt hit or miss, and she became more of a singles artist for me until this incredible record. Some of the lyrics actually make me tear up. The pure emotion of "Cinnamon Girl" and "Happiness is a Butterfly" take me out sometimes. This is a killer album and should have 100% won Album of the Year at the Grammys, but the Grammys have been bleh for decades.
                                                Code:
                                                No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: F**k It, I Love You (x3); Cinnamon Girl (x1); The Greatest (x1); Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - but I Have It (x1)
                                                Other Key Songs: Happiness is a Butterfly; Mariners Apartment Complex; How to Disappear; Venice Bitch; Norman F**king Rockwell; California

Comment

#20 - Ceremonials is absolute GOLD!

Despite it being fantastic, it’s my least favorite album of F+M. Imagine how ingenious the rest of their discography is...!
                                                  YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                  X