Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loose View Post
    #20 - Ceremonials is absolute GOLD!

Despite it being fantastic, it’s my least favorite album of F+M. Imagine how ingenious the rest of their discography is...!
    I definitely don't think High as Hope was in the least bit impressive! Did you enjoy that one?
    Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [25-21]

Comment

015. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

The biggest pop era of my lifetime, 'Teenage Dream' saw Katy Perry crank out one cotton-candy chart-topper after the other in rapid succession. I vividly remember the campaign to get "Last Friday Night" to #1; that year was such an exciting one to be a pop fan. Katy was everywhere and even though she was technically overexposed, I didn't grow weary of her. She did a great job with the singles selection, but special shout-out to the super juvenile but insanely catchy "Peacock", the similarly sexual "Hummingbird Heartbeat", and the fiery indignation of "Circle the Drain". There were some pretty solid non-singles to back up the massive commercial smashes on this.
      Code:
      Significance Rating: 12/20
      Year Released: 2010
      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Teenage Dream (x6); Firework (x4); E.T. (x3); Peacock (x2); Wide Awake (x1); Last Friday Night (TGIF) (x1); Part of Me (x1); Hummingbird Heartbeat (x1); California Gurls (x1)
      Other Key Songs: The One That Got Away; Dressin' Up: Circle the Drain
      014. Beyoncé - BEYONCÉ

Somewhere I know Haribo is laughing at me finally coming around to Queen B's self-titled, surprise, game-changing release. 'BEYONCÉ' had originally finished 13th on my 2013 year-end countdown; here it is the top 2013 album. It's bolstered in no small part by the immaculate "Drunk in Love", my favourite Beyoncé song, but even beyond that future classic, it's got so many brilliantly produced melodies, impeccably sung vocals, and memorable club-bangers. It's actually one of only two albums on the countdown to launch as many as 10 #1 songs on my daily chart.
      Code:
      Significance Rating: 12/20
      Year Released: 2013
      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Drunk in Love (x12); Pretty Hurts (x4); ***Flawless (x3); Blow (x2); 7/11 (x2); Partition (x1); Ring Off (x1); Standing on the Sun (x1); Haunted (x1); Heaven (x1); Superpower (x1)
      Other Key Songs: Mine; Rocket; XO; Jealous
      013. Taylor Swift - Red

Taylor's lucky no. 13! 13 all 'round - in rank and significance rating! 'Red' features my favourite Taylor Swift ballads. They're pensive, draped in luxurious melancholy, delivered with gripping emotion. As a musical orator, Taylor's skills have never been sufficiently applauded, in my view, and she excels in that department here. 'Red' was a great bridge album between a still country-pop 'Speak Now' in 2010 and her pure pop '1989' venture.
      Code:
      Significance Rating: 13/20
      Year Released: 2012
      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: The Moment I Knew (x4); We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (x4); Red (x3); Starlight (x3); I Knew You Were Trouble (x2); Everything Has Changed (x1)
      Other Key Songs: All Too Well; The Last Time; I Almost Do; 22; Begin Again; State of Grace
      012. Britney Spears - Femme Fatale

I mentioned two write-ups ago that 'BEYONCÉ' was the first of two albums to send 10 songs to #1 on my daily chart; here, with 'Femme Fatale, we have the other. In fact, 'Femme Fatale' is the most successful album ever on my daily chart, with its tracks spending almost three months atop my daily chart. 'Femme Fatale' is a brilliantly-produced pop album, but Britney, as she manages to do on all her best records, remains ringmaster of the circus, serving unrivalled sex appeal, those signature breathy falsetto vocals, and delivering some of her career-finest visuals. The only thing lacking this era was the live performances; for the first time in her career, even radio seemed fully on-board the Spears Express.
      Code:
      Year Released: 2011
      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Hold It Against Me (x47); Till the World Ends (x15); I Wanna Go (x6); Criminal (x6); Trouble for Me (x4); (Drop Dead) Beautiful (x3); Inside Out (x2); He About to Lose Me (x1); Selfish (x1); Big Fat Bass (x1)
      Other Key Songs: Seal It with a Kiss; Up n' Down; Don't Keep Me Waiting
      011. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman

Ariana Grande's signature, career-defining (to this point) era, 'Dangerous Woman' sees the young diva deliver some of her most impressive scaling vocal performances (see title track), most poignant and pensive piano-driven ballads (see "Moonlight"), maintain that millenial-level chill and cool (see "Let Me Love You"), and then just throw the whole kitchen sink of pop excellence at you (see "Into You"). I definitely didn't appreciate this as much as I should have in 2016, but time has definitely served 'Dangerous Woman' (and Ariana in general) well.
      Code:
      Year Released: 2016
      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Into You (x5); Moonlight (x5); Let Me Love You (x2); Side to Side (x1)
      Other Key Songs: Leave Me Lonely; Greedy; Everyday; Dangerous Woman; Bad Decisions

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

I definitely don't think High as Hope was in the least bit impressive! Did you enjoy that one?
        I did to be honest. Even though it wasn’t very attention-grabbing.

I loved RED as well. All Too Well is still in my Top 5 TS songs of all time.
        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Loose View Post
          I did to be honest. Even though it wasn’t very attention-grabbing.

I loved RED as well. All Too Well is still in my Top 5 TS songs of all time.
          I enjoyed "Hunger" and "Big God", but found the production to be shockingly lacklustre.

Ah, I have great appreciation for "All Too Well", too. The ballads on Red are insanely good.

Comment

010. Mariah Carey - Caution

The higher of the two LPs my all-time fave released in the 2010s, 'Caution' is everything I wanted from MC at this stage of her illustrious career. The pen game remains at 100, the vocals are emotive, the production is fresh and exciting. The only thing I wish she would've done is release the title track as the lead single over "GTFO".
            Code:
            Significance Rating: 14/20
            Year Released: 2018
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: With You (x9); Caution (x4); Giving Me Life (x3); Portrait (x3); A No No (x2); GTFO (x1)
            Other Key Songs: One Mo' Gen; 8th Grade
            009. Lorde - Melodrama

A lot of pop fans were enamoured with Lorde from her 'Pure Heroine' debut era and though I certainly loved the singles from that LP, I didn't think the album was impressive, so I didn't have great expectations for 'Melodrama'. Then "Green Light" came, catching me completely off-guard. The production wowed me. There was such grit and intensity baked into it, and Lorde had always been a talented songwriter so to have her writing skills paired with melodies that were so hard-hitting certainly appealed to me. "Green Light" proved to be symbolic of the rest of the album - greatness from start to finish. As a minor point, I do wonder why she didn't place "Sober" and "Sober II (Melodrama)" back to black. The album flows better for me that way. It's the top 2017 album on the countdown.
            Code:
            Significance Rating: 15/20
            Year Released: 2017
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Sober (x5); Green Light (x5); Sober II (Melodrama) (x3); Homemade Dynamite (x1); Supercut (x1)
            Other Key Songs: The Louvre; Writer in the Dark; Liability; Perfect Places
            008. Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday

What a debut album! Rappers have the advantage of releasing mixtapes before they drop studio albums so there's usually a good bit of experience behind their out-of-the-gate records, but 'Pink Friday' is arguably the finest debut album ever and certainly my favourite hip/hop album of all-time. For me, Nicki took hip/hop to a place I didn't think it could go. The flow and bars were there in spades, but her animation and energy created a much more colourful lane and I don't think she's ever fairly credited for that. She definitely has the talent to top this, but even if she never does, that proclamation she makes on "Moment 4 Life" - "I will retire with the crown" - is a milestone she's already achieved.
            Code:
            Significance Rating: 16/20
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Last Chance (x2); Moment 4 Life (x1); Super Bass (x1); Girls Fall Like Dominoes (x1); Blazin' (x1); Here I Am (x1); Fly (x1)
            Other Key Songs: Roman's Revenge; I'm the Best; Right Thru Me; Dear Old Nicki; Did It On'em; Your Love; Muny
            007. Beyoncé - 4

This is the album that made me a Beyoncé fan. I'd grown up listening to DC and of course Beyoncé and her music were everywhere when I was growing up, but the '4' era, arguably her least-successful proper studio release, wasn't quite as overexposed as the eras that preceded it and actually gave me time to sit with the material and appreciate the vocals, the fusion of old-school production with contemporary beats, the messages. I think this is the closest to a soul/R&B record Beyoncé is likely to do and it was a home-run for me. It finished at #2 on my 2011 albums countdown, but is the top 2011 dog here.
            Code:
            Significance Rating: 17/20
            Year Released: 2011
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: I Was Here (x9); Countdown (x5); Schoolin’ Life (x5); Best Thing I Never Had (x3); Love on Top (x2); Start Over (x1); Run the World (Girls) (x1); Dance for You (x1)
            Other Key Songs: I Care; Party; I Miss You; End of Time; Rather Die Young
            006. Janelle Monáe – Dirty Computer

Janelle Monáe is an artist I'd always meant to get into, but kept putting it off. When she released "Make Me Feel" and "Django Jane" in February 2018, she made an appeal for my attention that I couldn't ignore. The emotion picture for this is so incredible. Watching that first, then delving into the album in full certainly made that first spin a more illuminated one, but I've only loved 'Dirty Computer' more since those early days. In the identity Venn Diagram, Janelle and I have several points of intersection so listening to music from her POV certainly impacted me significantly.
            Code:
            Significance Rating: 18/20
            Year Released: 2018
            No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Americans (x3); I Like That (x3); Make Me Feel (x2); Crazy, Classic, Life (x1); Django Jane (x1)
            Other Key Songs: Don’t Judge Me; So Afraid; I Got the Juice; Pynk

Comment

Thanks for popping in! I will say that I do wonder sometimes if I should do the tagging thing, but I kinda don't want to do that with personal charts...or anything else, really.
              I wouldn't have minded getting tagged.

I still think he's fit af and I probably still wouldn't say no on a normal day, but the Keke Palmer allegations and the more recent ones from another woman have definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth as far as Tremaine is concerned.
              It's disappointing. it really sucks when people you like become problematic because it's hard not to think about the personal when you hear their music.

I remember that, too. Some of my fave Drag Race queens created and were involved in that one!
              Is one of them Willem? I really love her - I noticed her right away in A Star is Born

Hmm...an "experimental" year? I'd say it was trash. Yeah, let's go with trash.
              I had to go back and look at my top songs of 2015, and... wow, what a weird year. I might have to agree with you.

OK, going to comment on the next set.

Comment

*cracks knuckles* ...
                • #63/#62 - Ari - I actually wasn't crazy about her debut, maybe because of the Mimi comparisons. I'm glad she found her own voice after that with that follow-up. Problem was absolutely instant for me in a way that's pretty rare. I still get pumped when I hear it, even if it's dated now. It's impressive how much she has grown with each album.
                • #58/#57 - Frank Ocean - Why does he feel so slept on? The depth of his lyrics is really incredible. I'd have a hard time choosing between these two albums.
                • #56 - Mika - Wow, Mika is your top gay artist? I suppose I can be ok with that, though Troye or Y&Y would probably get that crown for me. Though I'd hook-up with Mika sooner than either of them
                • #54 - Frozen - Good job, Elsa! Haha, I mean I really only use Let It Go, but Frozen remains one of the very few movies I ever saw mutliple times in the theater. In fact, it was around that time I took my son to Disney World so some good memories of that time.
                • #52 - Eminem - Surprised to see him so high - didn't know you followed Em - He has such a weird seesaw going with his music - he'll release something terrible, and then follow it up with something brilliant - sometimes, even writing about how terrible his previous album was. Oddly for me, my favorite albums from him have each come at the start of a decade 2000, 2010, 2020.
                • #48/#46 - Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material was my intro to Kacey and I'm impressed it topped 2015 for you. I had heard about her more open vibe in country music and checked out Biscuits, and fell in love. One of only a handful of country artists that I stan. Wish Golden Hour was higher - it would probably rank in my top 10 of the decade. It's so sad about her divorce - they seemed really good for each other. Rainbow remains one of my favorite songs ever.
                • #42 - T-Swizzle - Taylor really brought me back from the brink with Lover. After Reputation, she jumped the shark for me - and Me! actually was pretty terrible too, but then her subsequent singles were really strong, and I decided to give in again. Folklore might just be one of the finest things released by a major artist this year.
                • #39 - RiRi - Great album. It's fantastic she went out with such a banger of an album before she retired. ;)
                • #38/#37 - Gaga - Joanne had some good songs, but I can't say I've returned to any of those songs. Perfect Illusion was straight-up awful, but not representative of the album. ARTPOP had more of a vision to it, but was also so hit and miss for me - Do What U Want is still gold - I'll always be puzzled though, how this era felt so sabotaged
                • #34 - Adele - I'm right there with you on Million Years Ago. After Hello, it was the most obvious single choice. I do think the album could have done with more upbeat music.

OK, I think that's a good stopping point.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                  I wouldn't have minded getting tagged.
                  If I tag for my artists countdown, I'll tag you!

It's disappointing. it really sucks when people you like become problematic because it's hard not to think about the personal when you hear their music.
                  Agreed. I've had that happen to a few of my faves and it really impacted how much I played their music...for a while anyway.

Is one of them Willem? I really love her - I noticed her right away in A Star is Born
                  Yes, Willam! She's one of my faves!

I had to go back and look at my top songs of 2015, and... wow, what a weird year. I might have to agree with you.
                  Rihanna working with Paul McCartney was a sign that something that year was off.

#63/#62 - Ari - I actually wasn't crazy about her debut, maybe because of the Mimi comparisons. I'm glad she found her own voice after that with that follow-up. Problem was absolutely instant for me in a way that's pretty rare. I still get pumped when I hear it, even if it's dated now. It's impressive how much she has grown with each album.
                  I never loved "Problem", but I do love how she's grown into her own artist. I'm such a big fan of hers now and I don't think I would've forecasted that in 2013.

#58/#57 - Frank Ocean - Why does he feel so slept on? The depth of his lyrics is really incredible. I'd have a hard time choosing between these two albums.
                  If anything, I feel like Frank teeters slightly to the right end of the overrated spectrum...though I do have a good bit of appreciation for his songwriting.

#56 - Mika - Wow, Mika is your top gay artist? I suppose I can be ok with that, though Troye or Y&Y would probably get that crown for me. Though I'd hook-up with Mika sooner than either of them
                  Troye and Y&Y are just now becoming album acts for me.

#54 - Frozen - Good job, Elsa! Haha, I mean I really only use Let It Go, but Frozen remains one of the very few movies I ever saw mutliple times in the theater. In fact, it was around that time I took my son to Disney World so some good memories of that time.
                  Frozen is such a meaningful movie to me!

#52 - Eminem - Surprised to see him so high - didn't know you followed Em - He has such a weird seesaw going with his music - he'll release something terrible, and then follow it up with something brilliant - sometimes, even writing about how terrible his previous album was. Oddly for me, my favorite albums from him have each come at the start of a decade 2000, 2010, 2020.
                  Yep, he is good for doing that!

By virtue of environment, I have a good bit of familiarity with most major R&B and hip/hop names that my otherwise pop-leaning taste may not suggest is the case.

#48/#46 - Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material was my intro to Kacey and I'm impressed it topped 2015 for you. I had heard about her more open vibe in country music and checked out Biscuits, and fell in love. One of only a handful of country artists that I stan. Wish Golden Hour was higher - it would probably rank in my top 10 of the decade. It's so sad about her divorce - they seemed really good for each other. Rainbow remains one of my favorite songs ever.
                  My Kacey Musgraves introduction was her performing "Follow Your Arrow" at the Grammys in 2014. The Grammys are such a flawed institution, but they still sometimes introduce me to quality names.

#42 - T-Swizzle - Taylor really brought me back from the brink with Lover. After Reputation, she jumped the shark for me - and Me! actually was pretty terrible too, but then her subsequent singles were really strong, and I decided to give in again. Folklore might just be one of the finest things released by a major artist this year.
                  I actually don't think Reputation was that bad.

#39 - RiRi - Great album. It's fantastic she went out with such a banger of an album before she retired. ;)
                  Conversely, I don't think Anti is that strong, especially not by RiRi's standards.

]#38/#37 - Gaga - Joanne had some good songs, but I can't say I've returned to any of those songs. Perfect Illusion was straight-up awful, but not representative of the album. ARTPOP had more of a vision to it, but was also so hit and miss for me - Do What U Want is still gold - I'll always be puzzled though, how this era felt so sabotaged
                  Fair point regarding Joanne. "Million Reasons" was my 2016 year-end no. 1 so I go back to that one a lot and I love "Dancin' Circles" so that gets a good bit of recurrent spins. Beyond those two (and maybe "Angel Down"), I also don't really play it much.

ARTPOP had its messy moments, but I always love when artists experiment and aim for unconventional rather than settle with safe.

#34 - Adele - I'm right there with you on Million Years Ago. After Hello, it was the most obvious single choice. I do think the album could have done with more upbeat music.
                  Yeah, the single choices post-"Hello" were dire.

OK, I think that's a good stopping point.
                  Many thanks for playing catch-up!

Comment

005. Taylor Swift – 1989

Kicking things off with "Shake It Off" was an eyebrow-raising decision for me and even though the song spent three days atop my daily chart, it was my least-favourite lead T-Swizzle single until "Me!" invaded my playlists briefly in 2019. The rest of the album is incredible, though. I was fearful that her transition to a more pure pop sound would invite compromise into her solid songwriting process, which typically yields such high-quality lyricism, but it didn't. I'm still not entirely sold on "Welcome to New York", but this album features some of my favourite Taylor Swift videos ("Blank Space") and some of her most relevant lyrics ("New Romantics"). This was probably the second-biggest pop era of the decade behind Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream'.
                    Code:
                    Year Released: 2014
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Out of the Woods (x7); All You Had to Do Was Stay (x4); Style (x3); Shake It Off (x3); New Romantics (x2); Blank Space (x2); Clean (x1); Wonderland (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: I Know Places; Wildest Dreams; Bad Blood
                    004. Rihanna – Unapologetic

The last Rihanna album that I thoroughly loved, 'Unapologetic' is just pop excellence from the most reliable 21st century procurer of the same. I do appreciate that alongside the typical bops, she gave us great balladry ("Stay", "Half of Me", "What Now", "Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary"), but of course the highlight for me will always be "Diamonds", a song that may even end up being her most enduring classic when all is said and done.
                    Code:
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Diamonds (x28); Stay (x7); Jump (x2); No Love Allowed (x2); Loveeeeeee Song (x2); Half of Me (x2); What Now (x2); Pour It Up (x1); Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: Nobody’s Business; Lost in Paradise; Phresh Out the Runway
                    003. Rihanna – Loud

From pop excellence to pop excellence, 'Loud' was the more colourful follow-up to its dark predecessor 'Rated R'. To me, it felt like what would've been a natural progression from 'Good Girl Gone Bad' had February 2009 not happened. 'Loud' saw the pop titan donning a fierce burgundy in her hair, a look initially jeered at but one that evolved into iconic status. 'Loud' also featured some of her biggest-produced dance-pop anthems that felt just as fitting for a club as a stadium. Included in the mix is her second-finest reggae-pop masterpiece of her career ("Man Down"), airplay giant "What's My Name?", quality ballads "Fading" and "Complicated". It's not a long album, but it's a damn good one and its run on my daily chart was legendary, second only to 'Femme Fatale''s.
                    Code:
                    Significance Rating: 19/20
                    No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: S&M (x23); Only Girl (In the World) (x23); Man Down (x5); What’s My Name (x5); Raining Men (x2); Cheers (Drink to That (x1); Fading (x1); Complicated (x1)
                    Other Key Songs: Skin; Love the Way You Lie (Part II); California King Bed

Comment

002. Lana Del Rey – Born to Die

The toast of my favourite year in music of the 2010s, 'Born to Die' was such a fresh album for me. I'd never heard a record that sounded like it. The melodies were draped in this old Hollywood pop glamour, the lyrics were layered and poignant, Lana's delivery was hypnotic and addictive. Everything about 'Born to Die' felt magnetic. I suspected then that it might age well and it's certainly maturing into the classic album I thought it might be.
                      Code:
                      Significance Rating: 20/20
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Summertime Sadness (x9); Born to Die (x5); Blue Jeans (x5); National Anthem (x2); Lucky Ones (x1); Off to the Races (x1); Ride (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: Dark Paradise; Video Games; Diet Mountain Dew; Radio; Million Dollar Man; Carmen; Without You; This Is What Makes Us Girls
                      001. Beyoncé – Lemonade

I have a fervent passion for diversity in music and 'Lemonade' manages to tell an enthralling story of heartbreak and betrayal, insecurity, and the tried and tested bonds of love, while painting the canvas with so many different shades and genres: pop, R&B and soul, rock, country, hip/hop. It's impressive enough to cover all that terrain on an 11-track album, but Beyoncé scorches them, delivering such meaty, convincing performances throughout. On the visual front, Beyoncé also succeeded where I felt she failed on her self-titled predecessor LP, with some now-iconic looks and videos. This was also a statement album and in the political and social climate of 2016, the messages contained in 'Lemonade' were weighty and relevant. Overall, I have to applaud Beyoncé. I thought '4' would forever be my favourite album of hers and I was more than satisfied with that, but to top herself 13 years into her solo career is the work of a legend, and a legend she most certainly is. If I'd had any doubts or reservations before 'Lemonade', that masterpiece certainly squashed them.
                      Code:
                      Significance Rating: 20/20
                      Year Released: 2016
                      No. 1 Songs on Akini's Daily Top 20: Daddy Lessons (x5); Freedom (x3); All Night (x2); Formation (x2); Don’t Hurt Yourself (x1); Sorry (x1); Love Drought (x1); 6 Inch (x1)
                      Other Key Songs: Hold Up

Comment

I was so addicted with "Animal" by Kesha back in 2010. I loved the album for it's (mostly) care-free songs, that's what I needed when I was 16.

"MDNA" is nice and includes some gems: Best Friend, I Don't Give A, Gang Bang,...
                        But I prefer "Rebel Heart" so I'm happy to see it above "MDNA" in your ranking. I Agree with you, the album should've been edited to a fewer amount of songs!

"Sweetener" was the first Ariana Grande album I ever bought and I think it's a great record. Love the title track but my favorites are "No Tears Left To Cry", "Better Off" and "goodnight n go".

Personally, I prefer the second half of "Roman Reloaded". But it's a nice album for what it is.

"Nothing But The Beat" is a great album.

I have to admit "HERE" is my last favorite album by Alicia Keys so far. :( I was so excited but as a whole, I didn't really like the album. "Girl Can't Be Herself" is one of her best songs ever, though.

"Electra Heart" is a nice album. "Teen Idle" and "Valley Of The Dolls" are my faovrite songs. Gutted that "How To Be A Heartbreaker" was not part of the original album, that song is so underrated.

From the albums that she has released since I follow Rihanna (2009- ) , I must admit "Talk That Talk" is my least favorite album. It does include the iconic "We Found Love" but that's it, for me.

Absolutely in love with "Recovery", it includes so many great songs. Probably my favorite album by Eminem!

"Reputation" is the only Taylor Swift album that had to grow on me. Every other album was an instant "YES!" from me. Nowadays, "Reputation" is in my Top 3 favorite albums by T-Swizzle. And YAY for you including "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" in your Key Songs. This is one of my all time favorites!!!

I think "Lover" is a great album but I don't come back to it as much as I did to her previous albums. Funnily, it came out in a time when I was dating my now-boyfriend and so I could relate to so many songs. Especially "Daylight", when we officially started to be a couple, was THE song for me. "I Forgot That You Existed" is amazing, too.

I also wish they would have chosen different singles for "PRISM" , or at least, change the release order. I would have chosen "Walking On Air" and "International Smile" as singles. I do admit "This Is How We Do" is a great song and somehow I'm glad it was a single.

I'm in the minority but I don't really care for "ANTi" that much. It's nice for what it is, I guess. "Kiss It Better", "Sex With Me" and "Close To You" are my favorites. I have a special connection to the era because I was only 1 meter away from her during the ANTI Tour. Unforgettable!

I love "25" - but not as much as its predecessor. "All I Ask" and "Million Years Ago" should have been official singles. I also love "When We Were Young", "Love In The Dark" and "Sweetest Devotion" a lot.

"Meaning Of Life" is my favorite album by Kelly Clarkson to date. I didn't know "Go High" was Michelle Obama-inspired. It's one of my favorites!

"21" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Always love coming back to that record. Being alive and following the charts back then was such an amazing experience.

I love "The Truth About Love". Although I do like her 2017 and 2019 albums, I agree with you, they do lack something.

"Speak Now" is one of my all time favorite albums by T-Swizzle. Maybe even my favorite. It's perfect from start to finish IMO.

"NFR" by Lana Del Rey - YAY. This is an absolutely stunning record. Agree, it should have won AOTY.

"Teenage Dream" brings back many, many amazing memories!

"RED" is cute - I love "Begin Again" the most!

"Pink Friday" is a great album, not one bad song IMO!

The "1989" era was absolutely breath-taking. However, oh no for you not being too fond of "Shake It Off", it's definitely one of my Top 3 favorite Taylor Swift songs ever. That was the era when I became a Swiftie myself.

"Unapologetic" getting the position it deserves. After a rather disappointing "Talk That Talk" era in general, I didn't have ANY expectations. But I thought the album can't be bad when its lead single is the iconic "DIAMONDS"... and I wasn't disappointed. "Unapologetic" is my favorite Rihanna album and the tour is her best one so far.

"Loud" is another iconic record. The entire era was so amazing. Her having the red hair, the album cover, the album as a whole, the videos... Rihanna at her best!

Great countdown, so many great albums! The 2010s were a strong decade.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                          I was so addicted with "Animal" by Kesha back in 2010. I loved the album for it's (mostly) care-free songs, that's what I needed when I was 16.
                          Wow, many thanks for playing catch-up!

Same! I was 14 at the time and high school was so bleh that Kesha's party pop jams were a welcome escape.

"MDNA" is nice and includes some gems: Best Friend, I Don't Give A, Gang Bang,...
                          But I prefer "Rebel Heart" so I'm happy to see it above "MDNA" in your ranking. I Agree with you, the album should've been edited to a fewer amount of songs!
                          Both albums have song of Madge's career-finest songs, though. Rebel Heart is just a bit more consistent.

"Sweetener" was the first Ariana Grande album I ever bought and I think it's a great record. Love the title track but my favorites are "No Tears Left To Cry", "Better Off" and "goodnight n go".
                          I'll revisit those latter two you highlighted. I do remember enjoying "Goodnight n Go", but I barely remember what "Better Off" sounds like.

Personally, I prefer the second half of "Roman Reloaded". But it's a nice album for what it is.
                          It's too lengthy for me, but it does have some major highlights.

"Nothing But The Beat" is a great album.
                          It's an album jam-packed with some of my favourite dance-pop hits of the decade!

I have to admit "HERE" is my last favorite album by Alicia Keys so far. :( I was so excited but as a whole, I didn't really like the album. "Girl Can't Be Herself" is one of her best songs ever, though.
                          Aw, I do remember you loving "In Common", but I didn't realise you weren't that fond of the record.

"Electra Heart" is a nice album. "Teen Idle" and "Valley Of The Dolls" are my faovrite songs. Gutted that "How To Be A Heartbreaker" was not part of the original album, that song is so underrated.
                          "How to Be..." actually only grew on me after the Glee Cast covered it.

From the albums that she has released since I follow Rihanna (2009- ) , I must admit "Talk That Talk" is my least favorite album. It does include the iconic "We Found Love" but that's it, for me.
                          Yeah, it's definitely her weakest album of the 2010s. Glad we agree on that.

Absolutely in love with "Recovery", it includes so many great songs. Probably my favorite album by Eminem!
                          It's certainly my favourite LP of his!

"Reputation" is the only Taylor Swift album that had to grow on me. Every other album was an instant "YES!" from me. Nowadays, "Reputation" is in my Top 3 favorite albums by T-Swizzle. And YAY for you including "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" in your Key Songs. This is one of my all time favorites!!!
                          Yeah, it had to grow on me as well, though that also seems to be the case for Folklore. Are you enjoying Folklore?

I think "Lover" is a great album but I don't come back to it as much as I did to her previous albums. Funnily, it came out in a time when I was dating my now-boyfriend and so I could relate to so many songs. Especially "Daylight", when we officially started to be a couple, was THE song for me. "I Forgot That You Existed" is amazing, too.
                          Yes, it's a great album when you're engrossed in fresh romance.

I also wish they would have chosen different singles for "PRISM" , or at least, change the release order. I would have chosen "Walking On Air" and "International Smile" as singles. I do admit "This Is How We Do" is a great song and somehow I'm glad it was a single.
                          Yeah, I think Prism had the potential to rival its predecessor in terms of hits. "Walking on Air" could've been the summer smash of 2014. It could've outpaced "Teenage Dream" on the charts.

I'm in the minority but I don't really care for "ANTi" that much. It's nice for what it is, I guess. "Kiss It Better", "Sex With Me" and "Close To You" are my favorites. I have a special connection to the era because I was only 1 meter away from her during the ANTI Tour. Unforgettable!
                          Yeah, Anti is one of the rare instances - perhaps the only instance actually - where the GP likes a Rihanna album more than I do.

I love "25" - but not as much as its predecessor. "All I Ask" and "Million Years Ago" should have been official singles. I also love "When We Were Young", "Love In The Dark" and "Sweetest Devotion" a lot.
                          "Million Years Ago" cuts so deep!

"Meaning Of Life" is my favorite album by Kelly Clarkson to date. I didn't know "Go High" was Michelle Obama-inspired. It's one of my favorites!
                          You like it even more than Breakaway and All I Ever Wanted?

"21" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Always love coming back to that record. Being alive and following the charts back then was such an amazing experience.
                          The era was so massive for just the three singles we got. It felt like the whole world could connect with Adele's heartbreak and frustration. The memes were awesome.

I love "The Truth About Love". Although I do like her 2017 and 2019 albums, I agree with you, they do lack something.
                          Glad we agree on this.

"Speak Now" is one of my all time favorite albums by T-Swizzle. Maybe even my favorite. It's perfect from start to finish IMO.
                          It's criminally underrated.

"NFR" by Lana Del Rey - YAY. This is an absolutely stunning record. Agree, it should have won AOTY.
                          There isn't a bad song on it!

"Teenage Dream" brings back many, many amazing memories!
                          Same here.

"RED" is cute - I love "Begin Again" the most!
                          I remember reading your "Begin Again" story!

"Pink Friday" is a great album, not one bad song IMO!
                          It's an epic album!

The "1989" era was absolutely breath-taking. However, oh no for you not being too fond of "Shake It Off", it's definitely one of my Top 3 favorite Taylor Swift songs ever. That was the era when I became a Swiftie myself.
                          I love its message and video, but it's uber juvenile and it's hard for me to digest that these days.

"Unapologetic" getting the position it deserves. After a rather disappointing "Talk That Talk" era in general, I didn't have ANY expectations. But I thought the album can't be bad when its lead single is the iconic "DIAMONDS"... and I wasn't disappointed. "Unapologetic" is my favorite Rihanna album and the tour is her best one so far.
                          I really want to see Rihanna on tour one day! I hope she resumes her music career soon so I can have that opportunity.

"Loud" is another iconic record. The entire era was so amazing. Her having the red hair, the album cover, the album as a whole, the videos... Rihanna at her best!
                          Yep, definitely iconic, and one of his biggest eras, too.

Great countdown, so many great albums! The 2010s were a strong decade.
                          Thanks for following!

Comment

Wow, JSparksFan I'm trash - I totally forget to check in for the conclusion - so very belatedly - some comments
                            • #31 - Ari - The explosion of growth form Ari in 2018 was really breath-taking. It's so weird to look at the progress from Problem (which I still adore) to something like to the maturity of Thank U Next.
                            • #30/#28 - I just posted in my chart this week that Bruno is one of only two (along with Gaga) artists who had three albums with four top tens - Bruno's albums have been just full of bops and great songs, so I am glad to see how high they are. I am also happy to see Jukebox the higher of the two as it's my favorite of his.
                            • #27 - Oh, and speaking of Gaga Born This Way is one of two albums to get SIX top tens - I know a lot of people felt it was a step down from her Fame releases, but I loved all the variety of it. I think she probably just overstepped with a pretentiousness to accompany it that turned people off. And ScheiBe did top my list ;)
                            • #22 - Agree, I LOVED her singles from this, and I think I've lost interest in most of her output since.
                            • #21/#18 - So Nicki is kind of close to Bruno/Gaga - she has two albums with four top tens and The Pinkprint is one of them. I was obsessed with Truffle Butter. I don't think I gave Queen the reception it deserved when it came out, which was really unfair. I think I bought into the hype that she felt "over" and it was time for new female rappers to move in.
                            • #15 - Katy - Ah Teenage Dream feels like a lifetime ago - this era went too long for me. I loved, loved, loved TD when it started and then by TGIF, I was so incredibly burned out on her. She was just on the radio non-stop. I know the GP seemed to turn with Witness, but I blame radio for completely killing her vibe for me. The music is still great though.
                            • #14 - Gosh, I thought with Drunk In Love this would be in the top 10 - I mean, it's still high, but... this is one of the last physical albums I ever owned. Oddly enough, a friend and I gave this album to each other for Christmas.
                            • #11 - Ari - what Ari's highest album is this one? I mean, I did like the singles, especially Into You, but I still stand by what I wrote about her subsequent albums.
                            • #10 - Mimi - Mimi brought me back into the fold with this album - I'd kind of given up on her after 2005 - but for some reason, I really connected with the title track and found there were some other tracks to which I similarly related.
                            • #8 - Nicki - YESSSS, I'm so glad this made the top 10 - she had one of the most incredible breakouts I've seen for a female artist - and this album straddled pop and rap so well. She filled such a gap and I think this is my favorite album of that year, which was PACKED with awesome female artists.
                            • #6 - JANELLE - OMG I'm elated to see her so high - I'm sure it's no shock it was my #1 for the decade - I'm just so massively impressed with her talents. I had been so thirsty for her music - i t had been almost five years! - and to come out with something so deeply personal and that I loved so much was really so much more than I hoped for.
                            • #5 - 1989 - I guess a top five appearance for Tay is not a shocker, especially this massive break-out. I hate-loved Shake It Off, like it was so catchy and also too precious, but her follow-up singles, Blank Space and Style were what really finally made me "get" Taylor.
                            • #1 - Oh, wow, I didn't see Bey nabbing that top spot - but I have to agree that this was a huge peak for Bey, and I don't disagree with its ranking.

Comment

Wow, JSparksFan I'm trash - I totally forget to check in for the conclusion - so very belatedly - some comments
                              No problem at all. Many thanks for checking back in and your timing is pretty great, considering that I'm planning on opening the artists edition thread later this evening.

#31 - Ari - The explosion of growth form Ari in 2018 was really breath-taking. It's so weird to look at the progress from Problem (which I still adore) to something like to the maturity of Thank U Next.
                              Thank U, Next is probably still her most cohesive album for me, though, as you saw later down the list, it's not my top Ari LP.

#30/#28 - I just posted in my chart this week that Bruno is one of only two (along with Gaga) artists who had three albums with four top tens - Bruno's albums have been just full of bops and great songs, so I am glad to see how high they are. I am also happy to see Jukebox the higher of the two as it's my favorite of his.
                              Yeah, Bruno released sparingly during the decade, but his releases were fire.

#27 - Oh, and speaking of Gaga Born This Way is one of two albums to get SIX top tens - I know a lot of people felt it was a step down from her Fame releases, but I loved all the variety of it. I think she probably just overstepped with a pretentiousness to accompany it that turned people off. And ScheiBe did top my list ;)
                              I'm still surprised that one got stuck at #2 for me!

I like Gaga when she takes chances. I think it's better to risk audio disaster with a risk than to just play it safe.

]#22 - Agree, I LOVED her singles from this, and I think I've lost interest in most of her output since.
                              Same, though "Courage" is already among her top 5 finest songs ever for me.

#21/#18 - So Nicki is kind of close to Bruno/Gaga - she has two albums with four top tens and The Pinkprint is one of them. I was obsessed with Truffle Butter. I don't think I gave Queen the reception it deserved when it came out, which was really unfair. I think I bought into the hype that she felt "over" and it was time for new female rappers to move in.
                              Yeah, I don't think I gave Queen the attention it deserved early on, largely because there were so many negative and unsettling stories that had swirled her way the 12 months leading up to the album that I wasn't sure how I felt about Onika, the woman behind the rap queen.

#15 - Katy - Ah Teenage Dream feels like a lifetime ago - this era went too long for me. I loved, loved, loved TD when it started and then by TGIF, I was so incredibly burned out on her. She was just on the radio non-stop. I know the GP seemed to turn with Witness, but I blame radio for completely killing her vibe for me. The music is still great though.
                              It was such a classic era, though. I can't think of too many in pop music history that rival it.

#14 - Gosh, I thought with Drunk In Love this would be in the top 10 - I mean, it's still high, but... this is one of the last physical albums I ever owned. Oddly enough, a friend and I gave this album to each other for Christmas.
                              That's cute!

#11 - Ari - what Ari's highest album is this one? I mean, I did like the singles, especially Into You, but I still stand by what I wrote about her subsequent albums.
                              Yep, the bops here are irresistible!

#10 - Mimi - Mimi brought me back into the fold with this album - I'd kind of given up on her after 2005 - but for some reason, I really connected with the title track and found there were some other tracks to which I similarly related.
                              I actually think Caution is her finest album since Butterfly, so I'm glad to hear it brought you back into the fold. #HonoraryLambilyPlacardPending

#8 - Nicki - YESSSS, I'm so glad this made the top 10 - she had one of the most incredible breakouts I've seen for a female artist - and this album straddled pop and rap so well. She filled such a gap and I think this is my favorite album of that year, which was PACKED with awesome female artists.
                              It finished 2010 as my year-end #1 album, too!

#6 - JANELLE - OMG I'm elated to see her so high - I'm sure it's no shock it was my #1 for the decade - I'm just so massively impressed with her talents. I had been so thirsty for her music - i t had been almost five years! - and to come out with something so deeply personal and that I loved so much was really so much more than I hoped for.
                              Yep, Janelle hit a home-run with that album, and the emotion picture was such a powerful accompanying tool. Brilliance through and through.

#5 - 1989 - I guess a top five appearance for Tay is not a shocker, especially this massive break-out. I hate-loved Shake It Off, like it was so catchy and also too precious, but her follow-up singles, Blank Space and Style were what really finally made me "get" Taylor.
                              Yeah, 1989 was a tremendous era for her, arguably the second-biggest pop era of the 2010s, behind Teenage Dream. Interestingly enough, I think T-Swizzle had the superior videos.

#1 - Oh, wow, I didn't see Bey nabbing that top spot - but I have to agree that this was a huge peak for Bey, and I don't disagree with its ranking.
                              Glad you also appreciate Lemonade. I didn't like it initially, but on the revisit, I was so wowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X