Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

022. RAYE - Natalie Don't
    021. Lady Gaga - Alice

Don't know much about RAYE, but "Natalie Don't" is a good song!
    However, "Alice" is a STAR. What a song, by far my favorite on "Chromatica". Yes, it's rather repetitive, but I'm still loving it so much and it's actually even among her best songs ever for me. Fingers crossed she still decides to release it as a single and does an Alice In Wonderland themed video for it, that would be awesome!

Comment

Natalie Don't and Alice the best of that bunch, RAYE is too underrated.

Comment

I like both 911 and Alice, but neither are among my Chromatica faves.. I find them both... cute.
        Natalie Don't I think is excellent and I love that it's so different to her collaboration work, she really deserves way more praise.
        Last Great American Dynasty is the only song from Folklore that really stuck with me, I can't say I have gone really far into this world but it hasn't grabbed me in the way Lover did I'm afraid. This song though? Brilliant.
        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
          ^ I love Borderline so much, Such an amazing track.
          Glad you appreciate it, too!

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
          022. RAYE - Natalie Don't
          021. Lady Gaga - Alice

Don't know much about RAYE, but "Natalie Don't" is a good song!
          However, "Alice" is a STAR. What a song, by far my favorite on "Chromatica". Yes, it's rather repetitive, but I'm still loving it so much and it's actually even among her best songs ever for me. Fingers crossed she still decides to release it as a single and does an Alice In Wonderland themed video for it, that would be awesome!
          I just listened to her album/EP this morning and it's not half bad.

Totally agree on the bolded bit! I was a bit harsh on it because of how repetitive it is, but I still have a good bit of love for the track and I'm really disappointed that it wasn't selected as the lead single, as it was the perfect choice!

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
          Natalie Don't and Alice the best of that bunch, RAYE is too underrated.
          I feel like it was through your weekly chart that I discovered "Natalie Don't"!

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
          I like both 911 and Alice, but neither are among my Chromatica faves.. I find them both... cute.
          Natalie Don't I think is excellent and I love that it's so different to her collaboration work, she really deserves way more praise.
          Last Great American Dynasty is the only song from Folklore that really stuck with me, I can't say I have gone really far into this world but it hasn't grabbed me in the way Lover did I'm afraid. This song though? Brilliant.
          Have you heard RAYE's new EP yet? I have to circle back and give it a second spin, but there were one or two tracks that stood out to me.

There's definitely another Folklore song I would encourage you to revisit!
          Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

020. Adam Lambert - Roses

You're like a knife 'cause your looks could kill
            Hold my breath every time we kiss
            Are you feeling it like I, like I feel it?
            You left your hat on the window sill
            You're comin' back, yeah, you always will
            Am I crazy, baby, if I say that I crave it?
            We talk the talk
            We're skin to skin
            But you just walk away
            And all that I got was roses
            Don't mean a thing without emotions

Baby, just do it right, focus
            'Cause I just needed your love tonight, tonight, tonight
            But all that I got was roses
            Don't mean a thing without emotions
            Baby, just do it right, focus
            'Cause I just needed your love tonight, tonight
            Tonight, tonight
            Could catch a flick, maybe we could chill
            Next to me, but you're still not here
            When I touch you, baby, my name, will you say it?
            Between the sheets, we ain't pillow talkin'
            Is it love or are we just f*ckin'?
            Tell me, baby, you can't keep me waiting

A soft, sombre synthpop ballad featuring some classic instrumentation from the legendary guitarist Nile Rodgers, "Roses" aptly describes what I've seen in the dating scene. The protagonist grappling with an emotionally unavailable partner is quite accessible to most folks who date men and the yearning for some semblance of intimacy and vulnerability is sedated on the surface by the mellow backing production, but the urgent pleas are firm within the lyrics. This is the kind of song Adam tends to knock out of the park and he does well on this one.
            Code:
            Quality Rating: 9/10
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x2)
            Play Count: 117
            019. Ariana Grande - Safety Net (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

You know you're really something, yeah
            How we get here so damn fast?
            Only you can tell me that
            Baby, 'cause you know I'm coming back
            You're making me forget my past
            Never thought I’d feel like that again
            I came to peace with my path
            Now you got me off track
            I've never been this scared before
            Feelings I just can't ignore
            Don't know if I should fight or fly
            But I don't mind
            Mmm
            Tripping, falling, with no safety net
            Boy, it must be something that you said
            Is it real this time or is it in my head?
            Got me tripping, falling, with no safety net

You can't give Ari these kinds of mellow, emotional pop tracks and expect her to do anything but destroy it. Anytime a song calls for tender vocals, Ari is going to hit a home run and she does just that on "Safety Net". I'll admit that Ty Dolla $ign is a fairly neutral figure on the track, neither aiding nor detracting, though his "Sheesh" ad-libs are awesome. It's really the Ari show from start to finish and her vocals on the bridge are so sleek and gorgeous. As for the lyrics, I did come across someone this year that made me put this song on repeat. It's a special thing to meet someone that makes you comfortable enough to trust them enough to fall into whatever with them. So, yeah, it was perhaps that sprinkle of personal relevance that drove this song to its top 'Positions' ranking.
            Code:
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x2)
            Play Count: 77
            018. Ava Max - Salt

Oh-oh, I got breaking news
            And it's not about you, oh-oh
            Oh-oh, I've been breaking hearts too
            And I learned it all from you, oh-oh
            I got my thigh-highs on, feel like Wonder Woman
            That's when you want all in, but I'm not your woman
            When my lipstick pops and I feel like Monroe
            That's when you want me most, oh-oh
            I'm all out of salt, I'm not gonna cry
            Won't give you what you want
            'Cause I look way too good tonight
            I'm all out of salt, tears are running dry
            Won't give you what you want
            'Cause I look way too good tonight
            Oh-oh, when I'm 'bout to celebrate
            Push my head into the cake, no more
            Oh-oh, you're the snake pulling my arm
            Like my snakeskin Saint Laurent, oh-oh

That Wonder Woman lyric - whew! I'm such a fan of the modern DC film adaptation that each time the chorus comes 'round, I just see Gal Gadot in a warrior queen pose, so that line is a very triumphant moment in the track for me. Much of the rest of the track is the standard high-quality bubblegum-esque pop affair I've come to expect from Ava, but even better than usual, thanks to the emotional element and the superhero connection.
            Code:
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x3)
            Play Count: 115
            017. Dua Lipa - Boys Will Be Boys

It's second nature to walk home before the sun goes down
            And put your keys between your knuckles when there's boys around
            Isn't it funny how we laugh it off to hide our fear
            When there's nothing funny here? (Ah)
            Sick intuition that they taught us, so we won't freak out
            We hide our figures, doing anything to shut their mouths
            We smile away to ease the tension so it don't go south
            But there's nothing funny now (Ah)
            When will we stop saying things
            'Cause they're all listening?
            No, the kids ain't alright
            Oh, and they do what they see
            'Cause it's all on TV
            Oh, the kids ain't alright
            Boys will be, boys will be
            Boys will be, boys will be boys
            But girls will be women
            But girls will be women
            I'm sure if there's something that I can't find the words to say
            I know that there will be a man around to save the day
            And that was sarcasm, in case you needed it mansplained
            I should've stuck to ballet (Ah)

If you're offended by this song
            You're clearly doing something wrong
            If you're offended by this song
            Then you're probably saying
            But girls will be women

This is the second of the two divisive Dua Lipa songs to feature and whereas I can sorta tie the criticism of "Good in Bed" to something that makes sense, I absolutely cannot do the same for this track. It is fantastic! I thoroughly endorse the message and I love how it communicates it in such a clever, intelligent, witty, humorous way. I'm sure there's no connection, but that "No, the kids ain't alright" feels like a direct contradiction to Chloe x Halle's assertion on their track "The Kids Are Alright". Anyway, tangent aside, I love when the leading ladies of pop bring feminist lyrics into their music and Dua devotes a whole song to it! I was so happy that 'Future Nostalgia' ended on this note. It was the perfect end to an incredible record.
            Code:
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x1)
            Play Count: 76
            016. Kylie Minogue - Say Something

We're a million miles apart in a thousand ways
            Baby, you can light up the dark like a solar scape
            And I can almost feel you coming and your heartbeat race
            Someone, somebody, something, in the choice we make
            I, I think about you
            Woah, woah, woah, woah, yeah
            (I can't help thinkin' 'bout ya)
            (I'm always thinkin' 'bout ya)
            Woah, woah, woah, woah, yeah
            S-s-s-say something, say something
            Tell me how you're feeling
            Oh, we all got wanderlust in the darkest place
            So we're going with our heart, yeah, it's all the rage
            Oh, we're just, just tryin' to find ourselves in the storms we chase
            Eh, eh, eh
            Baby, in an endless summer, we can find our way
            'Cause love is love, it never ends
            Can we all be as one again?

The first poll option to fall - which means CT was quite right in his prognostication early on about this not making the top 10 - is the lead single from one of pop's finest acts, the delicious and lyrically timely "Say Something". I must say that my thoughts the first time I heard this track don't differ significantly from how I feel now, having heard it, in several forms (the House Gospel Choir version is lovely), more than 100-plus times. First, complete appreciation for her just coming right out and addressing the crap pandemic circumstances. Then, gentle head bobbing at the groovy melody, which is sleek, smooth, infectious and adorned with the typical dance-pop fittings from Kylie. Finally, the bridge, which I just knew was going to take me to a searing climax...oh, but plot twist - there is no searing climax! You hear the big backing choir vocal and you're just waiting for that gospel-esque background vocal to come to the fore and rise in crescendo alongside Kylie's voice and the melody, and it never does. So, as good as this song is, and it is pretty damn terrific, I feel like the bridge lets it down a bit. It certainly let me down. By the time 'Disco' rolled around, I feared, having heard several of its pre-singles, that Kylie wouldn't get a banger on it right, but I needn't have had that concern as a song on the latter half of the tracklisting would prove on album release day.
            Code:
            Quality Rating: 9.2/10
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x4)
            Play Count: 166
            Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

The Kill, Borderline, 911, Salt are ones I enjoy from the last batches
              last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                Totally agree on the bolded bit! I was a bit harsh on it because of how repetitive it is, but I still have a good bit of love for the track and I'm really disappointed that it wasn't selected as the lead single, as it was the perfect choice!
                Yes! Imagine how awesome it would have been if she would have came back with "Alice"

018. Ava Max - Salt

Great start into the Top20!
                Very, very glad to see this appearance for Adam Lambert's "Roses". I think it's actually his best single since his debut album era to me, a shame he can't score a hit these days. "Safety Net" and "Boys Will Be Boys" are great songs, but still not among the highlights on their albums for me. "Salt" is just Pop perfection, another one where I'm very happy to see such a high appearance on your list. It's actually quite fascinating how Ava built her career up and actually also not ended up as another one hit wonder.
                "Say Something" was not just a good lead single to "Disco", but also ended up as the only real standout on the whole album for me. Somehow the rest never really clicked with me and I'm a bit surprised by the praise she's getting on this board

Comment

Salt is a total bop. Love that you mentioned the House Gospel Choir version of Say Something, it’s my fave!

Comment

Salt is such a banger, she really does have a few under her belt now. Say Something I do enjoy but clearly not as much as you! And annoyingly I picked the first poll option to fall lol, meaning I'm as bad as you are at picking ;)

I actually am more on board with the other divisive Dua track than I am with Good In Bed. Boys Will Be Boys isn't rhe best melody on the album but lovely sentiment, I enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                      The Kill, Borderline, 911, Salt are ones I enjoy from the last batches
                      Glad to see some love for "The Kill" and "Borderline"!

Yes! Imagine how awesome it would have been if she would have came back with "Alice"
                      Uber awesome!

018. Ava Max - Salt

Great start into the Top20!
                      Very, very glad to see this appearance for Adam Lambert's "Roses". I think it's actually his best single since his debut album era to me, a shame he can't score a hit these days. "Safety Net" and "Boys Will Be Boys" are great songs, but still not among the highlights on their albums for me. "Salt" is just Pop perfection, another one where I'm very happy to see such a high appearance on your list. It's actually quite fascinating how Ava built her career up and actually also not ended up as another one hit wonder.
                      "Say Something" was not just a good lead single to "Disco", but also ended up as the only real standout on the whole album for me. Somehow the rest never really clicked with me and I'm a bit surprised by the praise she's getting on this board
                      I definitely like "Ghost Town" more than "Roses", but the latter is certainly among his best-ever songs! Velvet in general was a surprise return to form for him after ages!

Well, Kylie is a much-beloved diva on the forum, so the support would've been there even with a meh release...but I genuinely think Disco is worth a revisit for you!

Salt is a total bop. Love that you mentioned the House Gospel Choir version of Say Something, it’s my fave!
                      Glad to see some love for that mix!

Salt is such a banger, she really does have a few under her belt now. Say Something I do enjoy but clearly not as much as you! And annoyingly I picked the first poll option to fall lol, meaning I'm as bad as you are at picking ;)

I actually am more on board with the other divisive Dua track than I am with Good In Bed. Boys Will Be Boys isn't rhe best melody on the album but lovely sentiment, I enjoy it.
                      Hold on now! I'm not liking what that bolded bit implies.

Comment

015. Cardi B - WAP (feat. Megan Thee Stallion)

Whores in this house
                        There's some whores in this house
                        There's some whores in this house

There's some whores in this house (Hol' up)
                        I said certified freak, seven days a week
                        Wet-ass p*ssy, make that pullout game weak, woo (Ah)
                        Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
                        Yeah, you f*ckin' with some wet-ass p*ssy
                        Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet-ass p*ssy
                        Give me everything you got for this wet-ass p*ssy
                        Beat it up, n*gga, catch a charge
                        Extra large and extra hard
                        Put this p*ssy right in your face
                        Swipe your nose like a credit card
                        Hop on top, I wanna ride
                        I do a kegel while it's inside
                        Spit in my mouth, look in my eyes
                        This p*ssy is wet, come take a dive
                        Tie me up like I'm surprised
                        Let's roleplay, I'll wear a disguise
                        I want you to park that big Mack truck right in this little garage
                        Make it cream, make me scream
                        Out in public, make a scene
                        I don't cook, I don't clean
                        But let me tell you how I got this ring (Ayy, ayy)

Gobble me, swallow me, drip down the side of me (Yeah)
                        Quick, jump out 'fore you let it get inside of me (Yeah)
                        I tell him where to put it, never tell him where I'm 'bout to be (Huh)
                        I'll run down on him 'fore I have a n*gga runnin' me (Pow, pow, pow)
                        Talk your shit, bite your lip (Yeah)
                        Ask for a car while you ride that d*ck (While you ride that dick)
                        You really ain't never gotta f*ck him for a thang (Yeah)
                        He already made his mind up 'fore he came (Ayy, ah)
                        Now get your boots and your coat for this wet-ass p*ssy (Ah, ah, ah)
                        He bought a phone just for pictures of this wet-ass p*ssy (Click, click, click)
                        Paid my tuition just to kiss me on this wet-ass p*ssy (Mwah, mwah, mwah)
                        Now make it rain if you wanna see some wet-ass p*ssy (Yeah, yeah)
                        Look, I need a hard hitter, need a deep stroker
                        Need a Henny drinker, need a weed smoker
                        Not a garter snake, I need a king cobra
                        With a hook in it, hope it lean over

He got some money, then that's where I'm headed
                        P*ssy A1 just like his credit
                        He got a beard, well, I'm tryna wet it
                        I let him taste it, now he diabetic
                        I don't wanna spit, I wanna gulp
                        I wanna gag, I wanna choke
                        I want you to touch that lil' dangly thing that swing in the back of my throat

My head game is fire, punani Dasani
                        It's goin' in dry and it's comin' out soggy
                        I ride on that thing like the cops is behind me (Yeah, ah)
                        I spit on his mic and now he tryna sign me, woo
                        Your honour, I'm a freak bitch, handcuffs, leashes
                        Switch my wig, make him feel like he cheatin'
                        Put him on his knees, give him somethin' to believe in
                        Never lost a fight, but I'm lookin' for a beatin' (Ah)
                        In the food chain, I'm the one that eat ya
                        If he ate my ass, he's a bottom-feeder
                        Big D stand for big demeanor
                        I could make ya bust before I ever meet ya
                        If it don't hang, then he can't bang
                        You can't hurt my feelings, but I like pain
                        If he f*ck me and ask "Whose is it?"
                        When I ride the dick, I'mma spell my name, ah...
                        Macaroni in a pot, that's some wet-ass p*ssy, huh

Of all the song/club experiences COVID-19 robbed me, not experiencing "WAP" in a club setting (yet) was the greatest devastation. I think the first time I heard "WAP" I was working from home and the lyrics didn't really hit me straightaway. It seemed like a cute enough song and I was more or less satisfied with it. Then the music video dropped and I was gagged. Cardi B gets a lot of hate for not being the strongest lyricist in rap, but I challenge anyone to name someone in hip/hop that puts out better visuals than Belcalis. The video completely transformed my view of this track. It's so high-budget, well-shot, with great (and surprising) choreography, epic fashion, and noteworthy features - dropping the song and video together really made this feel like such a moment and I'd say it was the biggest 'for the culture' musical event of the year, and the fact that it came from two of the biggest female names in hip/hop is awesome. There's no mincing of words on this track and definitely no misconstruing of intentions. It's direct and explicit, for better or worse, and there are definitely some huge lyrical highlights from both emcees. Cardi's energy was always gonna be a lot to match, but the way Megan bodied her second verse showed that she was intent on keeping up with Cardi the whole way. As much as Megan is the featured act on the billing, this really is a pretty equal collaboration, in my view, as the ladies give us two verses each, though Cardi does take sole ownership of the hook. It represents the best parts of both women and I'm so happy that the GP really embraced this and made it such a mega-hit. As for that sample, a completely ace interpolation! It's the perfect core for this enormous anthem.
                        Code:
                        Quality Rating: 9.5/10
                        Play Count: 141
                        014. DaBaby - Nasty (feat. Megan Thee Stallion & Ashanti)

She know I'm nasty (Yeah)
                        She like when I pull it out and I put it all over her ass cheeks (Like, uh, ooh)
                        And she don't gotta ask me (C'mon)
                        Yeah, I want head before we f*ck and I want it nasty
                        She like when I tell her to spit on it (Like, psh)
                        I get that mouth and I sit on the couch and I make her sit on it (Let's go)

Yeah, I was that lil' n*gga that could take a bitch from his big homie
                        Especially if she flexible, I flex her
                        I take both her legs and I put 'em behind her head like she a pretzel
                        Then I pick her up and I slam her down on her head like I'm a wrestler
                        Like mm, tryna kill the p*ssy, call the ambulance, get a stretcher

I be f*cking his bitch while he ain't at home
                        And she got them pics of me in her phone
                        Know that man a fool if he don't leave
                        'Cause bitch can't leave a n*gga alone, she call me
                        Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby
                        We got London On Da Track
                        She ain't f*ckin' you better than I am
                        Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, ooh, oh-woah
                        Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby (Real hot girl shit)
                        Ooh, the shit will never feel the same, yeah (Ahh)
                        Quit talking that shit, when I drop that pin, come drop that dick (Come drop that dick)
                        He deep in them covers, this p*ssy like butter, he put it in, damn near n*tted (Yeah)
                        He know he made it, he f*ckin' on Megan, it's driving his last ho crazy
                        I like to talk shit when I f*ck, I need a rough n*gga like DaBaby (Haa, haa, haa, haa)
                        When he hit the city, he gon' tap in, he gon' fly me out to put it back in
                        And I ain't trippin' when a n*gga pull my hair, 'cause he gon' pay for it to put it back in

I put one leg on the headboard and leave the other leg on the mattress
                        Look down at him while he smackin', get them headshots like an actress (Haa)
                        Yeah, my baby like to act up when we f*ckin' (Uh-huh)
                        Aggressive freak, she tell me to smack her when we f*ckin'
                        I started to laugh, she said "What's funny?"
                        She throwing that ass, she said "Quit running"
                        I'm holding it back, 'cause I don't wanna nut quick, but f*ck it
                        Really got nothing to hide, she know what I'm what's up with
                        Me, we started at 12:30 and f*cking 'til three
                        It's hot, I'm sweating out bullets on her, I need something to drink
                        Feel like a workout, don't it? (Uh-huh)
                        I'm doing my push-ups in that p*ssy
                        We getting our work out on it (Mm-mm)

I put a bath towel on the bed, just so she can squirt all on it
                        Like fwoosh, told you to stretch, now it hurt, now don't it? (Uh-huh)
                        She said, "F*ck if it hurts, I want it", I'm on it

She like when I take a pill and take her under (Let's go)
                        I f*cked that bitch so good, she prolly ain't even save ya number (Yeah)
                        Like "Boom, boom, boom", lay the thunder
                        Mm, mm, say she wanna be my baby mama
                        Girl, you on the right track, yeah
                        I put it in her face, she say she like that, yeah (Brr), she call me
                        I make him spend it all, this boy done fell in love
                        Ooh, he fiendin', he can't get enough, no, no
                        Baby, baby, oh-oh-oh-oh
                        Ooh, he comin' when I say his name, yeah
                        Sometimes I just want you to slide right in (Slide right in)
                        Pick me up and put these thighs around your neck (Thighs around your neck)
                        He mesmerized, tattoed his mind, he won't forget
                        DaBaby tryna have a threesome with 'Shanti and Megan, ayy

I'm sure 12-year-old Baptist schoolboy me would look at the lyrics of "WAP" and "Nasty' back-to-back, then turn to present-day me like this. Well, there are several dangerous elements at play that make me swoon over this song. First, there's one of my biggest hip/hop crushes ever in full dominant alpha mode making some pretty alluring promises. Then you've got Ashanti reprising her gorgeous "Baby" refrain on the chorus. Finally, to complete the trilogy set, you've got Megan spitting a solid verse. Honestly, though, DaBaby, rather impressively, pulls focus from the ladies for me on this, and I gotta give him credit for that. He's raunchy, but passionate, and I love that.
                        Code:
                        Play Count: 50
                        013. The Weeknd - In Your Eyes (feat. Kenny G)

I just pretend that I'm in the dark
                        I don't regret 'cause my heart can't take a loss
                        I'd rather be so oblivious
                        I'd rather be with you
                        When it's said, when it's done, yeah
                        I don't ever wanna know
                        I can tell what you done, yeah
                        When I look at you
                        In your eyes
                        I see there's something burning inside you
                        Oh, inside you
                        In your eyes
                        I know it hurts to smile, but you try to
                        Oh, you try to
                        You always try to hide the pain
                        You always know just what to say
                        I always look the other way
                        I'm blind, I'm blind
                        In your eyes
                        You lie, but I don't let it define you
                        Oh, define you

This song was fine in its original form and would've probably made the mid-40s on this countdown. Then I heard the Doja Cat remix and bumped it to what would've probably resulted in a lower-20s ranking. Then, finally, the Kenny G remix, and that was all she wrote - it rocketed all the way to poll-option status and is the top of the mere nine male-lead songs to feature on my countdown. Kenny G works brilliant magic on this. The Weeknd fades to supporting act in his presence really.
                        Code:
                        Play Count: 56
                        012. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

I can tell we've got potential
                        Is this love too hot to handle?
                        Make a wish, blow out my candle
                        Make a wish for me
                        Show me you can listen closely
                        Tell me you can take it slowly
                        That's the way to get to know me
                        Get to know me
                        I know the way to make you happy
                        I give you love, you give it back to me
                        You can't deny this perfect symmetry
                        Just what I need, just what I need
                        Come on now
                        Push, press, more, less
                        Here together, what's your pleasure?

Stop, go, fast, slow
                        Look so pretty dancing sideways
                        On the floor, your clockwork timing
                        Spin me round so I'm unwinding
                        Can you tell it's real?

That "Push, press, more, less" line is one of my favourite moments in music of the year. It's so sleek, luxe, sexy, and smooth - a brilliant and tasty piece of icing on a groovy disco-soul serving of prime-steak melodies. I'll admit that it's a rather juvenile link to make, but I feel like the 'What's Your Pleasure?' brought such a sense of youthfulness and ease to Jessie Ware for me. I don't have intimate knowledge of her discography, but her ballads always give her this kind of old soul energy, and I like how she's showcased this exciting other side of her artistry.
                        Code:
                        Play Count: 96
                        011. Rina Sawayama - XS

More!
                        Hey, I want it all, don't have to choose
                        And when the heart wants what it wants, what can I do?
                        So I'll take that one, that one, yeah, that one too
                        Luxury and opulence
                        Cartiers and Tesla Xs
                        Calabasas, I deserve it
                        Call me crazy, call me selfish
                        I'm the baddest and I'm worth it
                        Gimme just a little bit (More), little bit of (Excess)
                        Oh me, oh my
                        I don't wanna hear (No, no), only want a (Yes, yes)
                        Oh me, oh my

Gimme just a little bit (XS, XS)
                        Oh me, oh my
                        Oh me, oh my
                        I don't wanna hear (No, no), only want a (Yes, yes)
                        Oh me, oh my
                        Gimme just a little bit (XS, XS)
                        Oh me, oh my
                        Flex, when all that's left is immaterial
                        And the price we paid is unbelievable
                        And I'm taking in as much as I can hold
                        Well, here are the things you'll never know
                        Make me less so I want more (More)
                        Bought a zip code at the mall
                        Call me crazy, call me selfish
                        Say I'm neither, would you believe her?

To be fair, Paul did mention that Rina Sawayama's videos were pretty good and worth me taking the time to view them, but I've let streaming suck me into the culture of not really caring for videos the way I used to back in the day, so I really got into the visual, which really got me into the song, as recently as late November. The video is bonkers, like it ties the lyrics and wild sonic shifts from hard rock to bouncy pop into a seamless bow and so artfully illustrates its anti-consumerism message. Interestingly enough, KindOf presented this as his FSC entry in the June 2020 edition of the game and I ranked it a crappy seventh then; in hindsight, it was indeed that month's top submission!
                        Code:
                        Play Count: 69

Comment

011. Rina Sawayama - XS

Yay for those. "WAP" was an unexpected anthem this year, but it was so good to see Cardi B scoring another hit. Fingers crossed she's finally announcing her second album soon. "In Your Eyes" is awesome, not as good as his monster smash IMO, but it still deserved better on the charts. Heard "What's Your Pleasure?" through a game here (I guess FSC or so) and enjoyed it back then, but didn't end up downloading it. "XS" is also among my Rina faves.

Can't wait for the Top10!

Comment

I'm here for this set, particularly 13-11 - but I am not mad at WAP at all either, it was indeed one of the biggest pop culture moments of the entire year and I think it's a song to be commended, why shouldn't women be able to talk about sex in the same way as men? The UK radio edit was a mess though lol.

The Weeknd I really enjoyed, I will listen to your recommended remix now. Have to say I thought it was going to be more markedly different.. am I listening to the right one? LOL. I do like the slinky brass towards the end I'll give you that!

Jessie and Rina have probably been the UK gays favourites of the year and both these songs are excellent. I know I ranked Jessie rather lower than you did but I do still think she has had a great year and find the song to be sleek and sexy as you suggest! That's the first RIna song I heard and I still think maybe my favourite?

Comment

enjoy these two.

I'll never get the mass love for WAP, still think it's just popular because of that line.
                              last.fm

Comment

011. Rina Sawayama - XS

Yay for those. "WAP" was an unexpected anthem this year, but it was so good to see Cardi B scoring another hit. Fingers crossed she's finally announcing her second album soon. "In Your Eyes" is awesome, not as good as his monster smash IMO, but it still deserved better on the charts. Heard "What's Your Pleasure?" through a game here (I guess FSC or so) and enjoyed it back then, but didn't end up downloading it. "XS" is also among my Rina faves.

Can't wait for the Top10!
                                Yeah, I was hoping we'd get the album in Q4 this year, but I'm okay waiting if she needs more time to deliver fire!

Top 10 coming your way shortly!

I'm here for this set, particularly 13-11 - but I am not mad at WAP at all either, it was indeed one of the biggest pop culture moments of the entire year and I think it's a song to be commended, why shouldn't women be able to talk about sex in the same way as men? The UK radio edit was a mess though lol.

The Weeknd I really enjoyed, I will listen to your recommended remix now. Have to say I thought it was going to be more markedly different.. am I listening to the right one? LOL. I do like the slinky brass towards the end I'll give you that!

Jessie and Rina have probably been the UK gays favourites of the year and both these songs are excellent. I know I ranked Jessie rather lower than you did but I do still think she has had a great year and find the song to be sleek and sexy as you suggest! That's the first RIna song I heard and I still think maybe my favourite?
                                I hate music censorship so much.

Yeah, you listened to the right one! Honestly, I just love Kenny G's sax prowess. His bits take me back to those sax-rich 80s power ballads.

"XS" is actually my favourite Rina song at this point, too!

Originally posted by Carbon View Post

enjoy these two.

I'll never get the mass love for WAP, still think it's just popular because of that line.
                                I think Cardi and Megan have some pretty great bars on "WAP" and of course the video is pretty awesome, too, so that definitely drove more eyes and ears to them. Glad you appreciate "In Your Eyes" and "What's Your Pleasure?", though.

Comment

• RAYE never made much of a Paulboard splash as a featured guest/collaborator, but I've really enjoyed some of her recent solo singles, with "Natalie Don't" becoming her first No. 1. Although you don't sound SUPER impressed by her EP, I'll probably check it out at some point (or at least the songs you consider keepers).
                                  • I like "Alice," but it suffered a bit from the fact that I oftened skipped ahead and started listening through Chromatica at "Rain On Me."
                                  • Ah, so your 8-hour-man is to blame for the inflated "Safety Net" admiration, eh? If only she'd titled a certain other song "4+4" instead.
                                  • The mid-December-2019 release for "Salt" hindered its YEC potential for me, but it should still manage to make the cut this year. It's a shame she never tried pushing this harder in major markets like the UK and US.
                                  • It looks like that House Gospel Choir version of "Say Something" came from her Infinite Disco livestream, but do you know if the track's available on streaming services? If not, I can find alternative ways to get it into my library. The Acoustic version already elevated my opinion of SS somewhat, so maybe this version can take it even higher.
                                  • Getting a shout-out in your "XS" description might be enough to salvage 2020 for me This was the song (well, video) that inspired me to explore Rina in the first place. I'd seen her name tossed around before, but it wasn't until YouTube nudged the official MV thumbnail in my direction that I finally gave her a proper look, and quickly understood what all the buzz was about. She's a genre-jumping genius, all while intertwining some serious personal themes.
                                  last.fm

Comment

010. Dua Lipa - Levitating

If you wanna run away with me, I know a galaxy
                                    And I can take you for a ride
                                    I had a premonition that we fell into a rhythm
                                    Where the music don't stop for life
                                    Glitter in the sky, glitter in my eyes
                                    Shining just the way I like
                                    If you're feeling like you need a little bit of company
                                    You met me at the perfect time
                                    You want me, I want you, baby
                                    My sugarboo, I'm levitating
                                    The Milky Way, we're renegading
                                    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
                                    I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
                                    I need you all night, come on, dance with me
                                    I'm levitating
                                    You, moonlight, you're my starlight (You're the moonlight)
                                    I need you all night, come on, dance with me
                                    I'm levitating
                                    I believe that you're for me, I feel it in our energy
                                    I see us written in the stars
                                    We can go wherever, so let's do it now or never
                                    Baby, nothing's ever, ever too far
                                    Glitter in the sky, glitter in our eyes
                                    Shining just the way we are
                                    I feel like we're forever every time we get together
                                    But whatever, let's get lost on Mars
                                    You can fly away with me tonight
                                    Baby, let me take you for a ride
                                    I'm levitating (Woo)
                                    Baby, let me take you for a ride

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (Woo)
                                    My love is like a rocket, watch it blast off
                                    And I'm feeling so electric, dance my ass off
                                    And even if I wanted to, I can't stop

My love is like a rocket, watch it blast off
                                    And I'm feeling so electric, dance my ass off
                                    And even if I wanted to, I can't stop

My initial 'Future Nostalgia' favourite, "Levitating" is a supreme dancefloor stomper of a bouncy pop bop. I love how Dua switches her cadence within the verses and that chorus is such euphoric fun. I remember dancing in my living room to this the very first time I heard this. It made me so happy and was a Godsend at the front end of the pandemic. Unfortunately, none of the remixes honour the original song's brilliance, not even the Madonna one for which I had certain expectations, but that's all good and well because this song didn't need any improvements to be one of the year's top offerings. Interestingly enough, "Levitating" peaked at #2 on my chart and was blocked from the #1 spot in one instance by a Whitney Houston live performance from 1991 ("A Song for You") and a 2013 Lorde single ("Tennis Court"). Such is the nature of that wacky daily list!
                                    Code:
                                    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
                                    Play Count: 116
                                    009. Tones and I - Dance Monkey

They say, "Oh my God, I see the way you shine
                                    Take your hands, my dear, and place them both in mine"
                                    You know you stopped me dead while I was passing by
                                    And now I beg to see you dance just one more time

Ooh, I see you, see you, see you every time
                                    And oh my, I, I like your style
                                    You, you make me, make me, make me wanna cry
                                    And now I beg to see you dance just one more time
                                    So they say
                                    "Dance for me, dance for me, dance for me, oh-oh-oh
                                    I've never seen anybody do the things you do before"
                                    They say
                                    "Move for me, move for me, move for me, ayy-ayy-ayy
                                    And when you’re done, I'll make you do it all again"
                                    I said, "Oh my God, I see you walking by
                                    Take my hands, my dear, and look me in my eyes"
                                    Just like a monkey, I've been dancin’ my whole life
                                    But you just beg to see me dance just one more time

Inspired by her experience as a busker - which Tones and I taught me was a term for street performers, come through pop artists and random vocabulary lessons - "Dance Monkey" is quite a loaded dance song for me, which I love. It's got that surface feel of a carefree pop song, but the lyrics have this deep emotional appeal to me, and Tones and I's vocal also makes this feel like an upbeat ballad. It's a rather easy parallel to draw from the protagonist's personal experiences to society's obsessive consumption culture that demands more and more (and more). It's a theme "XS" also covers well, and more directly than this one. If memory serves me right, it was actually JakeP ranking this rather high on his 2019 year-end wrap-up that convinced me to give this a proper listen and I promptly fell in love.
                                    Code:
                                    Play Count: 169
                                    008. Kylie Minogue - Where Does the DJ Go?

Oh, when the party's over
                                    DJ
                                    Looking so lovely
                                    Feeling so right (I)
                                    Been working the whole day
                                    Waiting for the night

Now I'm leaving behind
                                    All the stress in my mind
                                    Singing I will survive (Survive)
                                    Just wanna move
                                    So much closer to you
                                    The world's trying to break me
                                    I need you to save me

Where does the DJ go, go, go
                                    When the party's over tonight?
                                    Where does the DJ go, go, go
                                    I didn't get all dressed up for nothin' (Nothin')
                                    Wanna chance another dance before morning
                                    So, where does the DJ go, go, go
                                    Get loose on the dance floor (Dance floor)
                                    Keep living the dream (I)
                                    Pretend that nothing, oh, so bad can happen to me

Oh, this song is so good, I could cry. This is the level of pop excellence I expect when Kylie Minogue drops an album. Lead single "Say Something" faltered a bit, but this checked the essential volcanic chorus box for me. And though it's that centrepiece that keeps me coming back, there are little sprinklings of awesomeness throughout that I just love - the "I Will Survive" reference, the frenetic pitch shift right ahead of the chorus with that "The world's trying to break me" line. This song was released on the cusp of Joe Biden securing what many viewed as an essential victory in the US general electinon against incumbent Donald Trump. As someone who still believes that the US, at its best, is the greatest country in the world, it was disheartening to see some of the nation's ugliest sides shamelessly come to the fore during Trump's campaign and certainly during his term (of terror) as US president. "Where Does the DJ Go?" was just the perfect song to capture the euphoric sense of relief, not even joy, of a preciously close election swinging in the favour of the lesser of two evils. Because I'm a pedantic and greedy pop consumer, a demographic I commented on within the previous write-up, I do wish this song's bridge were more fully fleshed out. That's its singular flaw, and, honestly, not even a big one. It's all good and I can easily see the day where I forgive it that and throw a 10/10 rating its way. This is definitely one of Kylie's most infectious stunners and I applaud her for continuing to deliver sterling gems this deep into her career.
                                    Code:
                                    Quality Rating: 9.8/10
                                    Play Count: 206
                                    007. Little Mix - Sweet Melody

Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo
                                    Doo-roo-doo-doo, doo-roo-doo-roo
                                    Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo
                                    Doo-roo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

In a whole other life, there was this boy that I knew
                                    He made me feel like a woman, we were young and silly fools
                                    Anyway, he was in a band, wrote love songs about me
                                    I wasn't crazy 'bout the words, but the melodies were sweet
                                    Went something like...
                                    Every time we'd go dancing, I'd see his straying eyes
                                    Gave him too many chances, push my keys too many times
                                    Anyway, he'd start acting up, and I'd be on my way to leave
                                    But I stopped in my tracks, when I heard this melody
                                    And it went like...
                                    He used to sing me sweet melodies
                                    He played me, made me believe it was real love
                                    Sang me sweet melodies
                                    But the day he did me wrong
                                    The song couldn't go on and on
                                    He used to sing me sweet melodies
                                    He played me, made me believe it was real love
                                    Sang me sweet melodies
                                    But the day he did me wrong
                                    The song couldn't go on and on and on
                                    He would lie, he would cheat, over syncopated beats
                                    I was just his tiny dancer, he had control of my feet
                                    Yes, when he came along, that's when I lost a groove
                                    There was no song in the world to sing along or make me move

Something, something like

That "Doo-doo" hook cannot be real. It just can't be. It has to be that 2020 has us in some Inception-esque space and that hook is just a figment of our imaginations. It is so unbelievably epic! There's a move that the ladies do at around the 2:23/2:24 mark in the music video where they kinda lean forward and whisper into each other's ear during one of the "Doo-doo" hook parts that does so much for me. This song really gets to the essence of what I love about pop music - hook-driven bangers that look so trite on paper, but become magical moments in the studio. The recent news that my favourite Mixer, Jesy Nelson, is leaving the group certainly was disappointing to hear, but if she had to go out on a song, I am so happy and grateful that she stuck around to close out on this obscenely incredible banger. Among their strong history of incredible singles, I think this one comes dangerously close to their top masterpiece "Wings".
                                    Code:
                                    Quality Rating: 9.8/10
                                    Play Count: 60
                                    006. Teyana Taylor - We Got Love (feat. Lauryn Hill)

We got love
                                    Love, love
                                    You better believe it
                                    We got love
                                    Love, love
                                    You better believe it
                                    I got house in the carriage yeah
                                    I got Black love in marriage yeah
                                    They gon say you can't have it but
                                    I'm like don't kill the messenger
                                    We gon break the stigma up
                                    Huxtables to the Obamas
                                    It ain't about where you been
                                    Where you from
                                    What you got
                                    It's all about love
                                    Self love is the best love
                                    When you go take that wristband off
                                    That pity party been over
                                    Don't need makeup to dress you up

I gave birth on the bathroom floor
                                    Just me, Iman, and headphone cords
                                    Don't let this life defeat you
                                    I hope this message reach you

Throw your hands up
                                    Play catch with the hundreds
                                    Love is the new money
                                    I'm just chillin' with the homies
                                    Home is where the heart is
                                    Throw your hands up...
                                    I live in abundance
                                    Love is the new money
                                    I'm mentally wealthy
                                    Spiritually conscious
                                    I'm fresh outta Onyx
                                    I'm bawlin' and ballin'
                                    I play with the hundreds
                                    Love is the new money
                                    That's my frequency
                                    Spark up burn the sage
                                    Clear the room kill the hate
                                    Love is the new wave
                                    Above all you keep your clarity
                                    You keep your focus
                                    You keep your sense of love
                                    And you keep your sense of purpose
                                    Those are, they're integral
                                    You know, they're key
                                    Happiness
                                    You know, um a lot of people define success differently
                                    You know for me
                                    You can have everything
                                    You could have all the money in the world
                                    But if its not enjoyable, if its not sustainable, you know
                                    If you can't be a person of integrity while having all these things
                                    What does it matter?
                                    What does it mean?
                                    The value is internal
                                    Your value is internal

Perhaps more than any other year in my lifetime, 2020 was a mentally taxing motherf**ker. This spoken-word-esque R&B closer on Teyana Taylor's album really connected with me and helped me find some semblance of peace and optimism on certain days where it felt like I was being overwhelmed by life. I remember pulling an all-nighter to get some work done and I had this song on repeat most of the way through. The Lauryn Hill piece at the end is brilliant. I love it so much and co-sign every word. She's so right - "your value is internal".
                                    Code:
                                    Quality Rating: 10/10
                                    Play Count: 182
                                    005. Lady Gaga - Babylon

We only have the weekend
                                    You can serve it to me ancient city style
                                    We can party like it's B.C.
                                    With a pretty sixteenth century smile
                                    It's the thing that you bring
                                    That you bring, that you bring him
                                    You and me, that's gossip
                                    Strut it out, walk a mile
                                    Serve it ancient city style
                                    Talk it out, babble on
                                    Battle for your life, Babylon!

That's gossip, what you on?
                                    Money don't talk, rip that song
                                    Gossip, babble on
                                    Battle for your life, Babylon!
                                    Bodies moving like a sculpture
                                    On the top of Tower of Babel tonight
                                    We are climbing up to heaven
                                    Speaking languages in a BloodPop moonlight

This song is so unapologetically c*nt and camp. I'm really a simple pop fan at my core and that babble on/Babylon wordplay knocked me for six. I still think it's one of the most sickening lyrical moments of the year. "Babylon" premiered around the same time I was really getting into my favourite show of the year, the ballroom competition series Legendary, on HBO Max, and I think getting into the underheralded awesomeness of ballroom culture, a scene from which this song is heavily influenced, just made me even more appreciative this track. The gospel backing vocals are also noteworthy and add great value to the track. I remember being worried that I wouldn't be happy enough on my birthday this year for this song to top that day's chart, but it eked out a narrow victory over Meredith Brooks's "Bitch" that day and I was pleased with that.
                                    Code:
                                    Play Count: 114
                                    004. Dua Lipa - Physical

Common love isn't for us
                                    We created something phenomenal
                                    Don't you agree?
                                    Don't you agree?
                                    You got me feeling diamond rich
                                    Nothing on this planet compares to it
                                    Don't you agree?
                                    Don't you agree?
                                    Who needs to go to sleep when I got you next to me?
                                    All night, I'll riot with you
                                    I know you got my back and you know I got you
                                    So come on (Come on), come on (Come on), come on (Come on)
                                    Let's get physical
                                    Lights out, follow the noise
                                    Baby, keep on dancing like you ain't got a choice
                                    So come on (Come on), come on (Come on), come on
                                    Let's get physical
                                    Adrenaline keeps on rushing in
                                    Love the simulation we're dreaming in
                                    Don't you agree?
                                    Don't you agree?
                                    I don't wanna live another life
                                    'Cause this one's pretty nice
                                    Living it up

I did not appreciate Dua Lipa much pre-2020. I loved "New Rules", liked four or five other songs from her, and relegated her to second-/third-tier territory among the young pop ladies of the new generation. I'm sure if I searched my post history I'd find several posts mentioning how overrated I thought "Don't Start Now" was. Then I heard "Physical". This is quality pop music done expertly, excellently, and executed flawlessly. Lyrically, SOUND! Sonically, RICH! Vocally, PASSIONATE! Dua silenced any criticisms I could possibly have of her when she released this banger. It is the perfect kind of fist-pumping, high-octane power pop that I adore. This song has some obvious pulsating peaks, but there's also this eerie kind of synth that introduces the song that we hear at select parts throughout. It's really random, but adds a layer of mystique to the sheen. I am high-key furious that this song didn't become a mega-hit this year. It really deserved so much more love.
                                    Code:
                                    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x7)
                                    Play Count: 180
                                    003. Doja Cat - Say So (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Day to night to morning, keep with me in the moment
                                    I'd let you had I known it, why don't you say so?
                                    Didn't even notice, no punches left to roll with
                                    You got to keep me focused; you want it? Say so

Day to night to morning, keep with me in the moment
                                    I'd let you had I known it, why don't you say so?
                                    Didn't even notice, no punches left to roll with
                                    You got to keep me focused; you want it? Say so
                                    It's been a long time since you fell in love
                                    You ain't coming out your shell, you ain't really been yourself
                                    Tell me, what must I do? (Do tell, my love)
                                    'Cause luckily I'm good at reading
                                    I wouldn't bug him, but he won't stop cheesin'
                                    And we can dance all day around it
                                    If you frontin', I'll be bouncing
                                    If you want it, scream it, shout it, babe
                                    Before I leave you dry
                                    Let me check my chest, my breath right quick (Ha)
                                    He ain't ever seen it in a dress like this (Ah)
                                    He ain't ever even been impressed like this
                                    Prolly why I got him quiet on the set like zip
                                    Like it, love it, need it, bad
                                    Take it, own it, steal it, fast
                                    Boy, stop playing, grab my ass
                                    Why you actin' like you shy? (Hot)
                                    Shut it, save it, keep it pushin'
                                    Why you beating 'round the bush?
                                    Knowin' you want all this woman

Never knock it 'til you try (Yah, yah)
                                    All of them bitches hating I have you with me
                                    All of my n*ggas sayin' you mad committed
                                    Realer than anybody you had, and pretty
                                    All of the body-ody, the ass and titties...

Every time I take a break, the game be so boring
                                    Pretty like Naomi, Cassie, plus Lauren
                                    Spittin' like Weezy, Foxy, plus Lauryn

Ball like the ram, see, now that's Gordon
                                    They don't understand the bag talk, I'm foreign
                                    When they think they top the queen, they start fallin'
                                    Word to my ass shots, I'm so cheeky
                                    Got 'em tryna palm my ass like young Keke
                                    Yes, I'm ghetto, word to Geppetto
                                    Plus I'm little, where's my stiletto?
                                    Tell Mike Jordan, send me my Retros
                                    Used to be bi, but now I'm just hetero
                                    Ain't talkin' medicine, but I made him Morphine
                                    Ever since I put the cookie on quarantine
                                    He know this thing A1 like a felony
                                    All he gotta do is say the word like a spelling bee...
                                    I got dressed just to sit in the house
                                    People with the least always doin' the most
                                    I count money while he suckin' my toes
                                    Real nasty with them balls, all net, yeah, I'm gross
                                    Why you talkin' 'bout who body fake?
                                    With all the fillers in your face, you just full of hate
                                    That real ass ain't keep your n*gga home
                                    Now you lookin' silly, that's word to silicone...
                                    Call 'em Nestlé, they crunchy, man
                                    Ride 'em like a cowgirl, I'm a country fan
                                    Ain't talkin' medicine, but I made him more a fiend
                                    Ever since I put the cookie on quarantine
                                    Uh, like a relay race
                                    When I run up in this spot, bitches know they place

Slide on a n*gga, I'ma need my skates
                                    Social distance, I'mma need my space (Uh)
                                    I done did it, I won with it
                                    I made peace with myself, at one with it
                                    I can't let a goofy n*gga come dump in it
                                    I told boy shoot his shot, bust guns in it (Brrr)
                                    I mean I know that you feelin' me, I can tell that you feelin' me
                                    Acting like you was deadin' me, boy, you really be killin' me
                                    How you diggin' me, iggin' me, boy, you gotta be shittin' me
                                    Is you like a comedian? You gotta be kiddin' me (Oop)

I'd seen one or two gay men championing Doja Cat on a dating app in 2019, but I never bothered to check her out before "Say So" breached the US top 10 and even when it did, I wasn't enamoured with the track. It took the recruitment of rap heavyweight and my preferred procurer of bars, Nicki Minaj, on the remix for me to really embrace this track and when I did, I really grew to appreciate how pretty Doja's voice is on this. In all fairness, Doja can carry this song well solo - her VEVO performance of this is one of my favourite versions of the track - but Nicki, even with 'average' verses by her own standards (on both the original demo version and the officially released mix), definitely adds a layer of excitement to this. I was so happy when this and "Savage" were the top two tracks on the US Hot 100. It was cute that Nicki's first US chart-topper was alongside another female emcee and even more significantly, it was a landmark moment for female emcees in general, what with three of them there at the top concurrently. But back to the core song - it's a groovy mix of disco, pop, and hip/hop that melds so seamlessly together. It's a soothing melody and Doja rides it well. I suspect this will age extraordinarily well.
                                    Code:
                                    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x8)
                                    Play Count: 259

Comment

10 years ago, Taylor Swift’s “Mine” started as pre-countdown favourite, but lost to Rihanna’s “Only Girl (In the World)” in one of the narrowest contests I’ve had to date. This time ‘round, T-Swizzle is up against my favourite song from my favourite series in television history. Who prevails? Find out tomorrow!

VS.

Comment

If I am being honest, it feels like "Dance Monkey" happened ages ago.
                                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

WAP was fun and outrageous at the same time. The production was hot.

Nice to see Jessie high up! Lots of great stuff in the top 10, that Kylie song was one of instant faves but it has been overtaken by others now. Say So was cute AF. Babylon one of the best on Chromatica and Levitating remix was fire.

Comment

The single version of Levitating without Madonna et al is sooooo much better, it’s a terrific song.

Forgot about Dance Monkey - seems like a lifetime ago that it was riding high in the U.K. charts. It was massively overexposed but good song all the same.

Comment

Oh whew - getting in before you finish this so I can get caught up from #22:
                                              • Natialie Don't was a strong 2020 highlight for me - love the callback to Jolene, which sorely needed this kind of bop of an update. In general, RAYE was kind of a discovery this year.
                                              • I really liked Say Something, and to my surprise it didn't make my list this year - Kylie didn't make it at all, even though I did enjoy the Disco album, I guess it wasn't one of the more played albums this year.
                                              • Shocked, stunned, that WAP didn't make your top 10 as I was feeling like it racked up a lot of time on your chart, but I guess not quite enough. Also seeing your consistent ranking for it when it was on the BB Top 10. I mean, #15 is still pretrty high. I thought this was a really empowering song for women in a year that needed it.
                                              • I think you've told on yourself with the highlighted lyrics of Nasty Wow!
                                              • I actually never heard the Kenny G version, though Doja did help Weeknd almost make my top 40 - loved the retro-ness of that sax solo, so bringing in Kenny G sounds like genius. Men didn't really bring it as much for me this year either. Good thing Abel showed up to represent.
                                              • What's Your Pleasure was a true highlight for me, and I have you to thank for that one - it was such an earworm and probably up there with RAYE as a new discovery. I love the "I know the way to make you happy" line - there's such a siren-like vibe to it.
                                              • You have a lot of artists that i enjoyed this year in your top 10, but we rate certain tracks higher. Teyana's track is fire though it's my 2nd favorite track - Levitating is fine, though I think by the time it reached single promo, I had burned myself out on her, and I have to confess Physcal doesn't do it for me as much as some of her other tracks. I'm afraid we'll never agree on Babylon though The real winner is Kylie's song and something I probably should have given more of a chance.
                                              • Absolutely delighted to see Say So very high though! Love that Nicki's verse is what gave her the boost. It happened at the perfect time fo rme, just as my interest was starting to flag, the remix was released and I was all reeled in again.

Great countdown! I love your write-ups.

And I'm not naive enough to know that RuPaul is considerable competition for Taylor on your list, but still pulling for August.

Comment

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                                RAYE never made much of a Paulboard splash as a featured guest/collaborator, but I've really enjoyed some of her recent solo singles, with "Natalie Don't" becoming her first No. 1. Although you don't sound SUPER impressed by her EP, I'll probably check it out at some point (or at least the songs you consider keepers).
                                                I have to replay it to really settle on favourites, but I think "Change Your Mind", "Please Don't Touch", and "Love of Your Life" were the ones that stood out to me...sorta.

I like "Alice," but it suffered a bit from the fact that I oftened skipped ahead and started listening through Chromatica at "Rain On Me."
                                                Another "Rain on Me" fan!

Ah, so your 8-hour-man is to blame for the inflated "Safety Net" admiration, eh? If only she'd titled a certain other song "4+4" instead.
                                                Yes, he is.

The mid-December-2019 release for "Salt" hindered its YEC potential for me, but it should still manage to make the cut this year. It's a shame she never tried pushing this harder in major markets like the UK and US.
                                                Yeah, it is a shame. Honestly, Ava released banger after banger and I'm not impressed with the post-"Sweet but Psycho" chart reception at all.

It looks like that House Gospel Choir version of "Say Something" came from her Infinite Disco livestream, but do you know if the track's available on streaming services? If not, I can find alternative ways to get it into my library. The Acoustic version already elevated my opinion of SS somewhat, so maybe this version can take it even higher.
                                                I don't think it is...at least not yet. I know I usually just scrobble the "Say Something" excerpt from the livestream that's available on YouTube.

Getting a shout-out in your "XS" description might be enough to salvage 2020 for me This was the song (well, video) that inspired me to explore Rina in the first place. I'd seen her name tossed around before, but it wasn't until YouTube nudged the official MV thumbnail in my direction that I finally gave her a proper look, and quickly understood what all the buzz was about. She's a genre-jumping genius, all while intertwining some serious personal themes.
                                                I really should've checked it out as soon as you recommended it, but I tend to drag my feet with music videos these days!

Totally agree on the bolded bit.

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                                If I am being honest, it feels like "Dance Monkey" happened ages ago.
                                                Yeah, it definitely blew up in certain parts of the world before it even got to others. I was on the late end of getting it, plus I took long to appreciate.

WAP was fun and outrageous at the same time. The production was hot.

Nice to see Jessie high up! Lots of great stuff in the top 10, that Kylie song was one of instant faves but it has been overtaken by others now. Say So was cute AF. Babylon one of the best on Chromatica and Levitating remix was fire.
                                                Agreed regarding "WAP".

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                                The single version of Levitating without Madonna et al is sooooo much better, it’s a terrific song.

Forgot about Dance Monkey - seems like a lifetime ago that it was riding high in the U.K. charts. It was massively overexposed but good song all the same.
                                                Yeah, I feel like it took, like, six months to impact the US charts after it'd already destroyed the European and Oceanian charts.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                Oh whew - getting in before you finish this so I can get caught up from #22:
                                                I'm high-key happy that I was able to get through this countdown fairly quickly this year! I wanted to avoid what oftentimes happens - me finishing my artists countdown at the start of February.

[*]Natialie Don't was a strong 2020 highlight for me - love the callback to Jolene, which sorely needed this kind of bop of an update. In general, RAYE was kind of a discovery this year.
                                                Yeah, "Natalie Don't" is one of the gems that I discovered through others' personal charts this year - pretty sure it was Mike's!

I really liked Say Something, and to my surprise it didn't make my list this year - Kylie didn't make it at all, even though I did enjoy the Disco album, I guess it wasn't one of the more played albums this year.
                                                "Say Something" definitely grew on me, though I was happy that the album held an even stronger track.

Shocked, stunned, that WAP didn't make your top 10 as I was feeling like it racked up a lot of time on your chart, but I guess not quite enough. Also seeing your consistent ranking for it when it was on the BB Top 10. I mean, #15 is still pretrty high. I thought this was a really empowering song for women in a year that needed it.
                                                Well, the US top 10 doesn't see a lot of songs I like anymore. The only songs that are higher than "WAP" here that even made the US top 10 are "Dance Monkey" and "Say So" and their peaks preceded "WAP"s release by a good few months, so "WAP" never really had any competition in that game as far as I was concerned. I do agree, though, it was a fantastic female empowerment anthem and I think this was a particularly strong year in hip/hop, driven largely by incredibly hungry and talented female emcees. Last month saw the 10th anniversary of the release of Pink Friday; in fact, Megan released her album on that same day, and I couldn't help but think how different the scene is now than when Nicki came through. It really was just Nicki then and now we've got Cardi, Meg, Doja, Saweetie, Flo Milli, and others. Hip/hop was in dire need of more female POVs and this explosion is one that brings me such joy.

I think you've told on yourself with the highlighted lyrics of Nasty Wow!
                                                You know, in composing the write-up for that, I did think, "Hmm...this is a level of openness that's...interesting for me, but nobody on this blasted forum cares for DaBaby so they'll just skip it and keep it pushing." *Insert plot twist here*

But Madge said, "Express yourself, don't repress yourself" so...

I actually never heard the Kenny G version, though Doja did help Weeknd almost make my top 40 - loved the retro-ness of that sax solo, so bringing in Kenny G sounds like genius. Men didn't really bring it as much for me this year either. Good thing Abel showed up to represent.
                                                Yeah, I think Adam Lambert did a fine job keeping male vocals somewhat present among my playlists, too.

What's Your Pleasure was a true highlight for me, and I have you to thank for that one - it was such an earworm and probably up there with RAYE as a new discovery. I love the "I know the way to make you happy" line - there's such a siren-like vibe to it.
                                                I do love that bit, too. In fact, I love the whole damn song. I wasn't sure she'd ever top "Say You Love Me", but she might've with "What's Your Pleasure?".

You have a lot of artists that i enjoyed this year in your top 10, but we rate certain tracks higher. Teyana's track is fire though it's my 2nd favorite track - Levitating is fine, though I think by the time it reached single promo, I had burned myself out on her, and I have to confess Physcal doesn't do it for me as much as some of her other tracks. I'm afraid we'll never agree on Babylon though The real winner is Kylie's song and something I probably should have given more of a chance.
                                                Yeah, Lauryn's monologue does a lot for me on "We Got Love" and I actually didn't overplay Dua at all this year. I guess me not liking "Don't Start Now" early on helped with that.

Absolutely delighted to see Say So very high though! Love that Nicki's verse is what gave her the boost. It happened at the perfect time fo rme, just as my interest was starting to flag, the remix was released and I was all reeled in again.
                                                Yeah, the "Say So"/"Savage" top two is one of my favourite moments in Billboard Hot 100 chart history. Just loved it.

Great countdown! I love your write-ups.
                                                Thanks! Oftentimes I think my write-ups are crap, so it's nice that someone is reading them and thinking otherwise!

And I'm not naive enough to know that RuPaul is considerable competition for Taylor on your list, but still pulling for August.
                                                Well, I will say again that it wasn't close this year, but we'll see shortly!

Comment

002. Aiden Zhane, Dahlia Sin, Jaida Essence Hall, Jan, Rock M. Sakura, & Sherry Pie - You Don't Know Me

Aiden Zhane, oh, that's me
                                                  A little bit insane, hmm, maybe
                                                  Crawling from the shadows and into technicolor
                                                  If you don't know me now, you sure will later
                                                  Ooh... ah!
                                                  I grew up in a big city full of sin
                                                  Where everyone knows my name (Dahlia)...
                                                  You think you know me
                                                  But you don't know me
                                                  Everything that you've heard is wrong
                                                  You think you know me
                                                  But you don't know me
                                                  I've got my secrets in my bra (They're in my bra)
                                                  You don't know me
                                                  Yup, it's Jaida
                                                  The essence of beauty
                                                  The gowns, the face, and tons of booty
                                                  But don't you be fooled by the perfect facade
                                                  She always rises despite the odds
                                                  She's funny, she's witty, she's got talent beyond recognition
                                                  And that's how mother dear will slay the competition
                                                  Marcia, Marcia, Marcia
                                                  Move over sis, it's Jan!
                                                  The girl next door plus so much more, there's no choice but to stan
                                                  Worked so hard to get here, but I still want more
                                                  Push farther into mainstream than any queen before
                                                  My stunning look, this sickening hook, I can do everything
                                                  And did I mention you'll be gagging when I start to sing!

The name's Rock M. Sakura, see
                                                  Back in San Francisco, I'm famous for a couple of things
                                                  Dipping down low, splitting like there's no tomorrow
                                                  And, so much white liner it masks my inability to establish a deep personal connection...
                                                  Sweeter than Sherry
                                                  Hotter than a pie, ouch!
                                                  This campy queen will serve it
                                                  Till you bust your gut and cry
                                                  And I'm high-calorie
                                                  I'm full of fat
                                                  No, I'm not gluten-free, eew
                                                  So open up, get ready for a mother-tucking show
                                                  I'm fully baked and I'm ready to feed you till you blow, oh

As a Drag Race mega-fan, I like or love most of the musical numbers the series puts out, but a good chunk of them don't have much of a shelf life with me. When the second half of the S12 cast were tasked with writing and choreographing a Broadway-esque, Fosse-inspired jazz number, I didn't expect for them to do particularly well, especially given those rocky rehearsals we saw, but the queens delivered spectacularly and I think each of them did a solid job showcasing, with preciously little runtime to do so, the essence of their drag characters. Aiden hit on her shyness and spookiness, Dahlia on her...sensuality, Jaida on her confidence and versatility, Jan on her skyscraper-high ambition and even bigger vocals, Rock M. on her chameleon quality to channel other personas, and Sherry - well, this style of music was a natural fit for her polished brand of camp theatricality. Six distinct personalities represented by six distinct verses and executed incredibly well. For me, the clear standouts were Jaida, who made good on her promise to "slay the competition"; Jan, with her kitchen sink approach that proved true to her hyper-eager nature, and Sherry; who, well, effortlessly captured every delicate nuance of the performance, ensuring that the spotlight stayed firmly on her with a keen attention to detail (such as her playing an invisible piano during the big piano-string moments), her playful interaction with the other girls such as her ushering Rock M. to join the cluster of queens when she was separated, her perfectly-plastered face seemingly etched in a permanent smile that held the right balance of warmth and darkness. I was quite excited to see two queens in particular, Jaida and Sherry, face off against my top two from the previous half, Widow and Gigi, in a battle royale for the crown, but 2020 and some peculiar pre-show impersonation incidents on Sherry's part threw a wrench in those plans. Still, this was well on track to win this countdown for almost half of the year until a certain country-pop-folk star set fire to that script.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x5)
                                                  Play Count: 176
                                                  001. Taylor Swift - August

Salt air, and the rust on your door
                                                  I never needed anything more
                                                  Whispers of "Are you sure?"
                                                  "Never have I ever before"

But I can see us lost in the memory
                                                  August slipped away into a moment in time
                                                  'Cause it was never mine
                                                  And I can see us twisted in bedsheets
                                                  August sipped away like a bottle of wine
                                                  'Cause you were never mine

Your back beneath the sun
                                                  Wishin' I could write my name on it
                                                  Will you call when you're back at school?
                                                  I remember thinkin' I had you
                                                  Back when we were still changin' for the better
                                                  Wanting was enough
                                                  For me, it was enough
                                                  To live for the hope of it all
                                                  Cancel plans just in case you'd call

And say, "Meet me behind the mall"
                                                  So much for summer love and saying "us"
                                                  'Cause you weren't mine to lose
                                                  You weren't mine to lose, no

Well, here it is, the easiest pick for a year-end #1 song that I've ever had. Before we get into the feels part of this write-up, I do wish to present the extent to which this win was achieved. "August" spent 16 days atop my daily chart, twice as long as the next-longest chart-topper on this year's list, "Say So". In fewer than five months, "August" accumulated 619 plays, more than twice the next most-played song (also "Say So", with 259 spins) and an all-time record for most spins from a single song in a calendar year, a record previously held by "Crystallize" in 2015, which amassed 459 plays that year as I engaged it for essential study backdrop duties.

Now to trace the genesis of my love for "August" - I actually heard 'Folklore' and thought the folk-pop sound Taylor went for was an interesting experiment that yielded a singular library-add track, which wasn't even "August", but rather "The Last Great American Dynasty". Then I read a post by InFamous where he mentioned that "August" was his favourite Taylor Swift song. I thought it was an absolutely ludicrous statement to make. As someone who's been aware of Taylor since 2006 and a die-hard fan since 2008, I didn't think for a second that "August" was within the same vicinity of her "Mine"/"I Knew You Were Trouble"/"Enchanted" trilogy, but since he made such a bold assertion, I was curious to hear what his ears were picking up that mine hadn't so I set out to explore and put "August" on repeat that day.

Then it hit and when it did, it hit really hard. A lot of songs, in their recount of relationships that ended, go for the expected emotions - anger, frustration, heartbreak - and they oftentimes launch an attack on the perpetrator. "August" instead honed in rather patiently and peculiarly on another - disappointment - and completely removed any sense of animosity and all traces of venom towards the other party and squarely focuses on the self. And it does so by flipping the pages back to those electric moments with which we're all familiar, that spark you get when you really like someone and you feel the energy reciprocated and in that moment, the chemistry, the connection, the "hope of it all" is all that matters. In truth, "August" took me back to several "almosts" in my life that I'd pushed to the recesses of my mind and it made me confront how much those disappointments hurt. How the "hope of it all" shattered like glass, and how I numbed myself as a means of protection and soldiered on. "August" broke through and I low-key hate Taylor for that as I do not enjoy crying when listening to my favourite songs (or at all, for that matter). Even though this isn't a super bouncy, radio-friendly, hashtaggable kind of track from her, for me, it's her most poignant. It's perfectly-paced, immaculately penned, vivid, deeply passionate, well-produced even with its minimalist folk-pop instrumentation. The emotion and production coalesce in a stunning way within that outro and I love the fade out, almost like Taylor's giving the listener extra time to digest it all. I applaud Taylor. A decade after she released what I'd deemed her best track, she one-ups herself with this, proving that her songwriting skills and sound are ever-evolving. This is a masterclass in song composition and I'm really impressed that she's doing this 14 years deep into her career. The decade's just started and I suspect she's already won it for me with this song.
                                                  Code:
                                                  Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(x16)
                                                  Play Count: 619

Comment

• 010. Dua Lipa - Levitating
                                                    008. Kylie Minogue - Where Does the DJ Go?
                                                    007. Little Mix - Sweet Melody
                                                    005. Lady Gaga - Babylon
                                                    004. Dua Lipa - Physical
                                                    003. Doja Cat - Say So (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Good start into the Top10. "Levitating" is very catchy, not sure what to think about the DaBaby remix, but I enjoy the original a lot and also liked the dance remix with Madonna. I prefer "Physical" way more though and so I'm glad that one is even higher. Dua really served some great Pop tunes this year!
                                                    "Where Does The DJ Go?" really stood out on my first "Disco" spin, it's very catchy and fun.
                                                    "Sweet Melody" is Pop at its best and actually already my most favorite song ever by Little Mix. What a bop and also among my faves this year.

"Babylon" at #5 is a surprise, didn't expect this one to be your "Chromatica" fave! It's a great song though (to be fair, I really like nearly all of "Chromatica").

"Say So" is awesome, also among my faves this year. Though I thought the Nicki remix is just solid and didn't add much to the original song, so I sticked with the solo version.

002. Aiden Zhane, Dahlia Sin, Jaida Essence Hall, Jan, Rock M. Sakura, & Sherry Pie - You Don't Know Me
                                                    001. Taylor Swift - August

Honestly, that's a completely unexpected but nice Top2!
                                                    Seeing something RuPaul somewhere is always a big plus for me, so I'm very happy for "You Don't Know Me" making it all the way to #2 for you. However, the song itself didn't do much for me, but that's more because I didn't feel S12 as much as most other seasons.

Great #1, and Oh my... what a play count!! That's huge and I'm not mad, because "August" is also among my faves on "Folklore". Though I'm obviously a bit sad she took away Lindsey's record for most plays in a calendar year...
                                                    Taylor really served in the second half of the year and I loved reading what you wrote for your #1 this year

Fantastic countdown as always!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X