Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon
    replied
    really neglected albums this year, I enjoy songs from most of the albums listed here, but only checked Future Nostalgia and What's Your Pleasure in full, only the latter impressed me.

I should really get around to checking the others. Lost interest in Miley's after a few songs, sounds a bit too rock for my taste. Was hoping for more Midnight Sky and less rock.

Leave a comment:

• heppolo
    replied
    Rina, Jessie & Kylie - great choices.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Yay Jessie and Taylor!

Mix and Kylie good.

LOL at #18 title!

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    10. Taylor Swift - Folklore
    09. Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts
    08. Ariana Grande - Positions
    06. Little Mix - Confetti
    05. Kylie Minogue - Disco
    04. Ava Max - Heaven & Hell
    03. Lady Gaga - Chromatica
    02. Rina Sawayama - Sawayama
    01. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

I love how Pop this list is!!

Taylor at #10 sounds about right. At first I expected her to be higher simply based on "August" alone, but looking at the competition it really makes sense. It's a well crafted album but doesn't have the same replay value like "1989", "Lover" or "Fearless", so I agree with you on that.

Very surprised but happy seeing Miley already at #9, but that's what I call a good comeback album! Definitely a big step up from the rather disappointing "Younger Now" era and fingers crossed we will get a bunch more singles in 2021.

"Positions" is a good album, but may end up as my least favorite record by Ariana.
    "Disco" is solid, was really impressed with "Confetti" and it ended up as the first Little Mix album that connected with me in some ways.

Ava Max is one of the stars of 2020, so very happy for her position here!

"Chromatica" is classic Gaga, love it!

Had no idea Rina was this big for you - good for her, though!

Dua Lipa really slayed with "Future Nostalgia", great #1 and overall very strong countdown!

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Blah the whole top 25 is over before I even stepped in here, but I voted in the poll befor reading through - as I think the August love carried it to #1 here too, but we'll see!
    • I didn't expect Doja to place at all because I felt it was so much about Say So on your chart but I probably should have been paying closer attention. I agree that the appeal for me is it's pop leanings. She feels very 2012 Nicki to me, which is a good thing.
    • I have to agree with Tansike that Selena feels almost more 2019 to me with the stand-out tracks released near the end of last year. I really hate this trend of releasing a single and then the whole album is available for streaming and then the era is just over. It feels like too much too soon but that's probably just the geriatric in me pining for the good old days of 2010 - haha. I just felt done with her way before I felt I should be.
    • TREY a surprisingly but delightful showing - definitely one of m yfavorite albums this year as well.
    • Flo Milli is featured on $NOT's "Mean," and it is the first time I heard her, and she just brightens that track instantly, so she is still pretty new for me, and I'm completely here for whatever she does in 2021.
    • OK, seeing Teyana at #14 has me shook because I KNOW you told me on my thread that you liked it even more than CxH's album, which got me to listen to it in the first place. But seeing your description, I see the justification - there are several disposable tracks on it, but the ones I like are played so much that I'm pretty sure I'd rank her album higher than you did!
    • Of course, I'd still rank CxH higher than her also.
    • GASP! My Taylor prediction was wrong! Wrong! So wrong in a big way. It barely scraped into the top 10. Well, that's fine - August was her only track form that album to make the cut. I assume Evermore was released too late to be assessed for this year, but I'd be curious to hear how you think it compares.
    • I've liked what I hear from Miley. I don't know why I'm so resistant to charting her.
    • I honestly did not enjoy Ari's album so much - there are a couple tracks, but nothing like her 2018 output for me. Positions was kind of fun and lilting, but I guess I was expecting something else. Exactly what, I don't know - maybe that's the problem - I've made unreasonable expectations for her at this point.
    • People complain about how sex driven Megan is??? Do they listen to rap ever?
    • Your top five - with the exception of Rina, I think I charted multiple tracks from all of those, though Ava deserved more love from me. Like I am just now picking up on Kings and Queens - wtf is the matter with me?
    • Chromatica and Future Nostalgia are the only two albums that garnered four top tens from me this year, so I heartily approve of their placements
    Sorry for the word wall! Another great countdown! I am jumping over to your artists one now, so I don't have to skim the entire thing at once!

Leave a comment:

• king_oxymoron
    replied
    You're right to be fair, lots of strong albums here, and good to see Dua doing the do! Kylie, Gaga, Little Mix, Miley.. all strong and I like certain songs from Taylor, Ava, Rina.. basically everyone!

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    05. Kylie Minogue - Disco

The best disco-pop album of the year, the aptly-titled 'Disco' is tonnes of fun from start to end. It's the perfect soundtrack for a modern rave and I love how although the songs are disco-heavy, there's a good bit of variation throughout so it doesn't feel like you're hearing the same track in multiple forms.

Quality Rating: 8.28/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Where Does the DJ Go [#1(x4)]; Say Something [#1(x4)]; Dance Floor Darling [#2]; Celebrate You [#4]; Magic [#6]; Miss a Thing [#7]; Hey Lonely [#10]; Real Groove [#10]; Monday Blues [#12]; Last Chance [#12]; Fine Wine [#14]; Supernova [#17]
    04. Ava Max - Heaven & Hell

Following one of the longest album rollout campaigns in recent pop history - lead single "Sweet but Psycho" was released 8/17/2018 yet this wasn't pushed out 'til more than two years later on 9/18/2020 - Ava Max and her squad gave us this solid pop album, outfitted with some of the strongest bubblegum pop melodies I've heard in a while. Hilariously, when the album dropped, most fans were familiar with half the tracklist and none of the new tracks really exceeded the bangers we already knew, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a lacking bop on this and for a debut effort, this is stunning.

Quality Rating: 8.43/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: So Am I [#1(x3)]; Salt [#1(x3)]; Sweet but Psycho [#1(x1)]; Who's Laughing Now [#1(x1)]; Kings & Queens [#1(x1)]; Take You to Hell [#3]; Torn [#4]
    03. Lady Gaga - Chromatica

I stated earlier that with "Stupid Love" and "Rain on Me" being the forerunners to 'Chromatica', I wasn't confident I'd be booking my ticket to the colourful pop planet paradise, but when the album finally dropped, I realised my worries were unwarranted. This is another winning LP from Madame Germanotta. I love how yet again she covers a broad terrain of themes and necessary, substantive ones at that, I love the production, her series of videos have been among the year's finest. I do wish the era were even bigger as I did have certain expectations following her 'A Star Is Born' success, but I'm overall quite satisfied with this body of work. Fun fact - this, along with the top two albums, charted all its tracks on my daily chart.

Quality Rating: 8.45/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: 911 [#1(x6)]; Babylon [#1(x3)]; Rain on Me [#1(x2)]; 1000 Doves [#1(x2)]; Alice [#1(x1)]; Stupid Love [#2]; Sour Candy [#1(x1)]; Enigma [#3]; Sine from Above [#3]; Plastic Doll [#3]; Replay [#9]; Fun Tonight [#10]; Free Woman [#12]
    02. Rina Sawayama - Sawayama

I didn't come across a more sonically diverse record in 2020 and interestingly enough, I was fuelled to explore 'Sawayama' largely because I'd seen such glowing reviews for it all over social media and Paul's glowing recommendation only bolstered the necessity to play this, and when I finally did, I was thoroughly impressed. I never thought I'd be jamming to heavy metal in 2020 or at any point for that matter, but Rina makes it work. And her videos! Right up there with Gaga's in terms of quality of series.

Quality Rating: 8.46/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: XS [#1(x3)]; Love Me 4 Me [#1(x1)]; Akasaka Sad [#1(x1)]; Tokyo Love Hotel [#1(x1)]; Chosen Family [#2]; Who's Gonna Save U Now? [#3]; F**k This World [#4]; Bad Friend [#5]; Snakeskin [#6]; Comme des Garçons (Like the Boys) [#8]; Paradisin' [#10)]; STFU! [#12]; Dynasty [#15]
    01. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

The most sonically rich album of 2020, 'Future Nostalgia' won this countdown way back in March and I knew straightaway the first time I spun it that Dua had laid down the gauntlet and there'd be no topping it. This is what I love about pop music. Riveting and clever songwriting, fresh and punchy production, solid vocals and delivery. Dua checked every box.

Quality Rating: 8.69/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Physical [#1(x7)]; Boys Will Be Boys [#1(x1)]; Don't Start Now [#1(x1)]; Levitating [#2]; Love Again [#2]; Break My Heart [#3]; Good in Bed [#3]; Hallucinate [#4]; Pretty Please [#8]; Cool [#10]; Future Nostalgia [#16]

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    10. Taylor Swift - Folklore

Fuelled primarily by my year-end no. 1 song "August", 'Folklore', with 22 combined days atop my daily chart, had the highest total of #1 days on my chart in 2020 among releases this year. Fuelled primarily by my general love for Taylor's songwriting, the LP also has the most top 5 hits, at 11, and the most top 10 hits, at 13 (T-Swizzle's lucky number), among 2020 releases (fun fact - Taylor Swift's 'Lover' also accumulated the most top 10 hits among my top albums last year, also with 13 top 10 hits). I love that Taylor explored a more folk-pop sound on this. It was an experiment that produced her best song ever, but I do think most of the songs are just a tad languid for my liking. As such, 'Folklore' doesn't join her pantheon of greats alongside 'Fearless' and '1989', but I appreciate her taking a bit of a risk with this one.

Quality Rating: 8.138/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: August [#1(x17)]; The Last Great American Dynasty [#1(x3)]; My Tears Ricochet [#1(x1)]; The 1 [#1(x1)]; Exile [#2]; Betty [#2]; Hoax [#3]; Cardigan [#4]; Mirrorball [#4]; The Lakes [#4]; This Is Me Trying [#5]; Mad Woman [#9]; Illicit Affairs [#9]; Seven [#12]
    09. Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

Released a mere four days before I started my year-end countdowns, 'Plastic Hearts' was the last new album of the year I checked out so there's definitely still some more time I need to spend with it, but it was an immediate hit for me. I love the rock edge! It's an authentic side to Miley and is a sound that she pulls off like a pro. I also love the themes she addresses throughout the album. This might actually be her most mature release to date and I suspect "Golden G String" will become one of my top Miley tracks when it's all said and done.

Quality Rating: 8.142/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Midnight Sky [#1(x1)]; Golden G String [#2]; Plastic Hearts [#2]; Angels Like You [#2]; Prisoner [#15]
    08. Ariana Grande - Positions

Released in the busy fourth quarter period, 'Positions' jostled for my attention and I must admit that there were albums released around the same time that I preferred and spent more time with, so this is definitely a record that I would do well to spend some more time with. Having said that, for me, it's still a good bit off from her incredible 'Thank U, Next' last year, but - and it's a big but - I do think I was unfairly harsh on it earlier. It's true to the Ariana brand - lots of mellow, smooth jams, and some very obvious single options. Her singing the whole bridge of "My Hair" in whistle register is a masterclass in vocal theatrics that I didn't give due credit early on, but it clicked with me eventually. It would be nice for that one to get single treatment, but I'm pulling hardest for "Safety Net". The world needs that playing on every local radio station.

Quality Rating: 8.17/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Safety Net [#1(x2)]; Motive [#1(x2)]; My Hair [#1(x1)]; Positions [#2]; Obvious [#2]; 34+35 [#5]; POV [#6]; Just Like Magic [#6]; Off the Table [#9]; Shut Up [#13]; Nasty [#14]; Love Language [#17]
    07. Megan Thee Stallion - Good News

Released nearly 10 years to the day that another prominent female emcee dropped her debut album, after two huge chart-toppers, several solid mixtapes and EPs, the pride of Houston made her official bow and she did not disappoint. Her bars are the best of the year, the production tight, the videos solid. The sole criticism that I've seen floating around is how sex-driven it is and while I get that, my singular criticism is that there aren't sufficient mid-tempo moments on the record. There's only "Outside" and "Don't Rock Me to Sleep" for us to catch our breaths as the rest of the record is in full turn-up mode and that gets a bit tiring. Other than that, this is a testament to Megan's skills as undoubtedly one of the best rappers of her generation.

Quality Rating: 8.24/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Cry Baby [#1(x2)]; Outside [#1(x1)]; Sugar Baby [#1(x1)]; Girls in the Hood [#2]; Don't Stop [#4]; Savage [#4]; Do It on the Tip [#15]; Freaky Girls [#16]; Don't Rock Me to Sleep [#17]; Intercourse [#19]
    06. Little Mix - Confetti

An incredibly solid pop album from an act that has strung together a pretty enviable singles catalogue, 'Confetti' is the ladies' finest effort, in my view. Sexy, clever, hook-driven, great production, heavenly harmonies. This is pop done well and the icing on the cake is "Sweet Melody", which boasts one of the sickest hooks I've ever heard.

Quality Rating: 8.27/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Sweet Melody [#1(x1)]; Confetti [#5]; If You Want My Love [#7]; Rendezvous [#7]; Break Up Song [#7]; Nothing but My Feelings [#9]; Holiday [#10]; Happiness [#16]; Not a Pop Song [#17]; Gloves Up [#18]

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
    Well What's Your Pleasure is LOWER than I expected given your love for Jessie so far, I think it's a very solid album but for more me in a 'dance along in the background' kind of way. If Adore You had been released this year not last, I would have placed it highly though! I like a few I have heard from Paloma, Gold is a bop.
    It was actually a pretty competitive year for albums, in my view!

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
    020. The Chicks - Gaslighter
    018. Katy Perry - Smile
    016. Alicia Keys - Alicia

Good group. I must say The Chicks' comeback album was even better than I expected, some nice songs on there.
    Katy Perry's "Smile" was a solid Pop album for me, but overall her most disappointing era so far. "Not The End Of The World" and "Cry About It Later" are my highlights there.
    Really enjoyed Alicia's new album. Surprised you still liked "Here" more, as it's the opposite for me.
    I'm guessing we're not counting her Katy Hudson era. I'm inclined to agree with you, though.

Here is actually my favourite AK album!

15. Adam Lambert - Velvet
    13. Paloma Faith - Infinite Things
    12. Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

Yes to Adam! Also a surprise album for me, as it's his best effort since "Trespassing" IMO.
    Paloma's album is solid... as I previously said, "Monster" is already my most favorite song ever by her so that alone makes "Infinite Things" a good listen to me.
    "Ungodly Hour" is a R&B highlight for me as well this year, great debut record and they put so much work into that era. They really deserve more attention IMO.
    Same, though sometimes I forget that it was only The Original High that we got from Adam between Trespassing and Velvet. He's been as bad as Rihanna with releasing music.

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    020. The Chicks - Gaslighter
    018. Katy Perry - Smile
    016. Alicia Keys - Alicia

Good group. I must say The Chicks' comeback album was even better than I expected, some nice songs on there.
    Katy Perry's "Smile" was a solid Pop album for me, but overall her most disappointing era so far. "Not The End Of The World" and "Cry About It Later" are my highlights there.
    Really enjoyed Alicia's new album. Surprised you still liked "Here" more, as it's the opposite for me.

Yes to Adam! Also a surprise album for me, as it's his best effort since "Trespassing" IMO.
    Paloma's album is solid... as I previously said, "Monster" is already my most favorite song ever by her so that alone makes "Infinite Things" a good listen to me.
    "Ungodly Hour" is a R&B highlight for me as well this year, great debut record and they put so much work into that era. They really deserve more attention IMO.

Leave a comment:

• king_oxymoron
    replied
    Well What's Your Pleasure is LOWER than I expected given your love for Jessie so far, I think it's a very solid album but for more me in a 'dance along in the background' kind of way. If Adore You had been released this year not last, I would have placed it highly though! I like a few I have heard from Paloma, Gold is a bop.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied

A surprise but long overdue return to form, 'Velvet' logged four no. 1s on my daily chart, two in 2019 ahead of the album's release and two in 2020. The production was better, the songwriting was stronger - this felt like the Adam of old and was a marked improvement from its predecessor five years prior, 'The Original High'.

Quality Rating: 8.02/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Ready to Run [#1(x3)]; Roses [#1(x2)]; New Eyes [#1(x1)]; Superpower [#1(x1)]; Velvet [#2]; Loverboy [#4]; Comin in Hot [#8]; Stranger You Are [#9]; Love Don't [#13]; On the Moon [#14]; Overglow [#15]
    14. Teyana Taylor - The Album

Of its 22 tracks, 17 charted on my daily chart, a higher total than any other 2020 LP. Granted, Teyana had a tonne of tracks to work with on 'The Album', but a 77% chart rate is nothing to scoff at and this is easily the best lengthy album of the year. Had she culled it to the best 12, this would've easily been among the year's top 5 releases for me. I do love that she chose to release this on the historic Juneteenth date and I'm incredibly impressed by the production, songwriting, and vocals on this. She's criminally underrated and I hope that changes soon.

Quality Rating: 8.04/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: We Got Love [#1(x3)]; Concrete [#1(x1)]; Lose Each Other [#1(x1)]; Bad [#1(x1)]; Morning [#3]; Wrong Bitch [#5]; Still [#5]; Friends [#5]; Lowkey [#8]; How You Want It? [#9]; I Made It [#10]; Let's Build [#12]; Bare wit Me [#12]; Wake Up Love [#13]; Shoot It Up [#13]; Come Back to Me [#18]; 1-800-One-Night [#20]

'Infinite Things' was the first Paloma Faith record I ever checked out in full and I wasn't disappointed. She went for a more uptempo, straightforward pop sound and it resonated with me. I do appreciate that there was still that presence of grand celestial pop on the record. I hope fan-favourite "Monster" gets a release.

Quality Rating: 8.08/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Monster [#3]; Better Than This [#3]; Supernatural [#4]; If Loving You Was Easy [#9]; Falling Down [#12]; Me Time [#18]; I'd Die for You [#20]

The highest-ranking R&B album of the year, Chloe x Halle present a mature, soulful, contemporary collection of some of the year's most accessible lyrics and memorable melodies.

Quality Rating: 8.10/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Ungodly Hour [#1(x2)]; Do It [#1(x2)]; Wonder What She Thinks of Me [#1(x1)]; Busy Boy [#3]; ROYL [#7]; Lonely [#9]; Forgive Me [#10]; Don't Make It Harder on Me [#11]
    11. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

Another familiar name whose sound underwent a surprising uptempo shift, this time to slinky soul-influenced disco-pop, Jessie Ware served sexy, sophisticated, smooth jams that highlighted much of an otherwise gloomy summer vacation for me.

Quality Rating: 8.13/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: What's Your Pleasure? [#1(x3)]; The Kill [#1(x2)]; Spotlight [#2]; Save a Kiss [#3]; Step into My Life [#10]; In Your Eyes [#13]; Remember Where You Are [#14]; Soul Control [#15]; Read My Lips [#19]

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Only one I really know so far is Good To Know, and I kinda agree. I ADORE JoJo and after Mad Love this isn't really up my alley in the same way but a couple tracks like Comeback and Think About You do go off!
    Yeah, "Think About You" isn't bad either.

Leave a comment:

• king_oxymoron
    replied
    Only one I really know so far is Good To Know, and I kinda agree. I ADORE JoJo and after Mad Love this isn't really up my alley in the same way but a couple tracks like Comeback and Think About You do go off!

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    20. The Chicks - Gaslighter

The lone country album on my list this year, 'Gaslighter' didn't feature a stunner on the same level of "Not Ready to Make Nice", but covered a broad range of topics (love and romance, break-ups and divorce, parenting, institutionalised racism) and featured the kind of quality songwriting I generally laud the country music genre for bringing to the music smorgasbord table.

Quality Rating: 7.88/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Texas Man [#1(x2)]; Everybody Loves You [#1(x1)]; March March [#2]; Sleep at Night [#5]; Gaslighter [#7]; Set Me Free [#9]; Julianna Calm Down [#13]; Young Man [#15]; Tights on My Boat [#17]; My Best Friend's Weddings [#19]
    19. Flo Milli - Ho, Why Is You Here?

The debut mixtape from one of the most talented young emcees in hip/hop, 'Ho, Why Is You Here?', which is also easily the best title of any song or LP this year, features some clever and sharp one-liners, quality production, and a solid flow. I do hope on her next album she addresses some more substantive topics, but for a fun, turn up record, which this was obviously intended to be, this is very on the mark.

Quality Rating: 7.95/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Like That Bitch [#1(x1)]; May I [#3]; Beef FloMix [#3]; Weak [#14]; Pockets Bigger [#15]; Pussycat Doll [#16]; In the Party [#19]; Not Friendly [#20]
    18. Katy Perry - Smile

A hyper-optimistic album during a time when I felt like that degree of sunshine was much-needed, 'Smile', while without any major commercial hit or even any multi-day chart-topper on my chart, was a bit of a sub-par release from one of the last decade's most reliable churner of mainstream smashes. Still, I appreciate the chill vibe of this record as well as its themes of empowerment and perseverance. I think it deserved more love than it got.

Quality Rating: 7.98/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Not the End of the World [#1(x1)]; Resilient [#1(x1)]; Never Really Over [#3]; Daisies [#5]; Smile [#7]; Harleys in Hawaii [#9]; Cry About It Later [#10]; Teary Eyes [#17]
    17. Toni Braxton - Spell My Name

A solid album through and through, 'Spell My Name', in my view, is also incredibly lazy. It's the same traditional R&B sound with the same rehashed themes that are generally present within Toni's music. I really wish she would experiment a bit more, but it's hard to deny the impact that voice still has. That husky contralto is still in fine form after all these years and still does so much for me, even when paired with substandard lyrical material.

Quality Rating: 8.00/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Dance [#2]; O.V.E.Rr. [#2]; Saturday Night [#4]; Gotta Move On [#4]; Spell My Name [#4]; Nothin'  [#5]; Happy Without Me [#8]; Do It [#11]
    16. Alicia Keys - Alicia

While Alicia Keys's self-titled release this year didn't take me to the heights its predecessor 'Here' did, I did think it a solid, if not slightly lengthy, collection of solid R&B songs. It felt very much like the R&B equivalent to Katy Perry's 'Smile' in its theme of empowerment permeating throughout the record. And much like 'Smile', I was quite happy to have it and viewed it as an essential record this year, at least on a personal level.

Quality Rating: 8.01/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Good Job [#1(x1)]; Perfect Way to Die [#2]; Authors of Forever [#4]; Show Me Love [#6]; Time Machine [#6]; Gramercy Park [#9]; Truth Without Love  [#11]; You Save Me [#13]; Underdog [#14]; Jill Scott [#15]; 3 Hour Drive [#17]; Love Looks Better [#19]; So Done [#20]

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    023. Doja Cat - Hot Pink
    022. Selena Gomez - Rare

The only two albums I'm familiar with so far, but both did very well for me as well!
    "Hot Pink" was a great album to introduce Doja Cat to the GP and I can't wait to hear what she will release in 2021. "Say So" is the obvious standout.
    "Rare" was a great Pop album, but the whole era was just such a mess and disappointment for me as a long time fan. None of the songs will end up as my big Selena faves, but the album as a whole was still very good. I just think she could have done even better.
    Yeah, I will say that the Rare era felt incredibly frontloaded. I feel like we got more from her before the album dropped, in 2019, than we did post-release. Were there even any singles in 2020? It really felt like she disappeared, even moreso than Gaga did after putting out Chromatica.

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    023. Doja Cat - Hot Pink
    022. Selena Gomez - Rare

The only two albums I'm familiar with so far, but both did very well for me as well!
    "Hot Pink" was a great album to introduce Doja Cat to the GP and I can't wait to hear what she will release in 2021. "Say So" is the obvious standout.
    "Rare" was a great Pop album, but the whole era was just such a mess and disappointment for me as a long time fan. None of the songs will end up as my big Selena faves, but the album as a whole was still very good. I just think she could have done even better.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    25. Jhené Aiko - Chilombo

I'd always been curious as to why so many R&B fans praised Jhené Aiko's music when the singles I'd heard from her were so unspectacular, so in the spirit of exploration, I decided to play her lengthy 20-track 'Chilombo' LP this year and I found some keepers! I still think her brand of whisper R&B is a bit too tame for me and the songwriting not strong enough to carry it anywhere special, but there's definitely some talent there.

Quality Rating: 7.65/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Happiness over Everything (H.O.E.) [#1(x1)]; Tryna Smoke [#2]; Party for Me [#3]; None of Your Concern [#5]; P*$$y Fairy (OTW) [#8]; Born Tired [#10]; B.S. [#10]; Triggered [#12]; Pray for You [#15]; 10k Hours [#16]
    24. JoJo - Good to Know

JoJo's definitely one of my generation's great vocal talents so I was happy to hear that she'd sorted out her label woes enough to release a new album in 2020. I think the material is a bit lacklustre overall, but those vocals reign supreme and there were some accessible moments, not least of which was the deeply relatable "Man". Oh, and I definitely didn't play it enough this year, but "Comeback" is a bop. Those mattress springs make me scream.

Quality Rating: 7.67/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Man [#1(x2)]; Lonely Hearts [#4]; Comeback [#5]; Small Things [#14]; So Bad [#15]; Pedialyte [#15]
    23. Doja Cat - Hot Pink

Technically, this was released in 2019, but I didn't get around to hearing it until 2020. Interestingly enough, it was one of my Tinder matches that recommended "Streets" to me, which I heard and clicked with immediately. The haunting darkness of the melody and emotional appeal of the lyrics were an overwhelming combo that I couldn't resist. Then I think someone from another app recommended "Rules" to me and I listened to and enjoyed that one, too. Finally, I figured to do away with the piecemeal approach and just dive into the LP. It's definitely the most pop-leaning hip/hop LP I heard this year and really is chock-full of tracks that could've been hits. The production is so good! Lyrically, it doesn't have the same refinement as another rap album that'll feature considerably higher, but this definitely is a signal that Doja Cat is an act to keep our eyes on.

Quality Rating: 7.68/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Say So [#1(x9)]; Streets [#2]; Rules [#3]; Like That [#10]; Tia Tamera [#14]
    22. Selena Gomez - Rare

She's getting pretty deep into her career and it seems that Selena Gomez is getting a bit better with each of her releases. While I'm not quite as enamoured with it as JeremySpears, I think the lyricism, production, and, yes, even the vocals, are the best we've gotten from sans-Scene Selena. There's a good mix of bangers and ballads. I couldn't ask for too much more from her.

Quality Rating: 7.69/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Lose You to Love Me [#1(x1)]; People You Know [#1(1)]; Crowded Room [#2]; Vulnerable [#3]; Feel Me [#12]; Ring [#15]; Look at Her Now [#19]; Rare [#20]; Boyfriend [#20]
    21. Trey Songz - Back Home

Shockingly, although I enjoyed Trey Songz's 'Back Home' album, he failed to score a top 10 hit on my daily chart from the album. Honestly, the album's production is really good. There's a good bit of diversity, wtih some Afrobeats mixed into the expected smooth R&B affair. I think I spent a good chunk of the year going through some of Trey's older work and the new stuff, whilst nice, just didn't stack up. Still, I applaud him for putting out a 22-track album without a clunker in earshot.

Quality Rating: 7.71/10
    Code:
    Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Cats Got My Tongue [#11]; How Many Times? [#13]

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    I was clearly quite ambitious with the start date for this, but my workload said absolutely not. I'm pushing this back to 12/21.

Love "Chromatica", "Folklore" and "Future Nostalgia", but "Chromatica" is a clear winner from the bunch to me so I went with that one in the poll. Excited for this countdown, I felt like 2020 was actually a very strong year for albums.
    I think so, too. I have a took at the average rating for this year's list versus last year's, but I'm pretty confident this year's is comfortably higher. I had way more 8/10 LPs than I remember having in 2019.

I was between Disco and Folklore... don’t ask me why!
    Let's see if you got it right!

Leave a comment:

• king_oxymoron
    replied
    I was between Disco and Folklore... don’t ask me why!

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    Love "Chromatica", "Folklore" and "Future Nostalgia", but "Chromatica" is a clear winner from the bunch to me so I went with that one in the poll. Excited for this countdown, I felt like 2020 was actually a very strong year for albums.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    started a poll Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [#1!]

Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [#1!]

Chromatica
    42.86%
    Disco
    14.29%
    Folklore
    42.86%
    Future Nostalgia
    0%
    What's Your Pleasure?
    0%
    Oh, look, another countdown.

It's been a solid year for albums, and in this department, 2020 produced a clear victor as well. Give the poll your finest Pat Benatar impression and hit it with your best shot.

Working...
X