Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tansike's Year-End Charts 2020 [#5 - #3]

Welcome to my Year-End Charts 2020!

As every year, I’ll proudly present you the most successful singles and albums from my weekly Singles Top40 & Album Top20 plus the annual Mammy Awards. The countdowns will start soon - singles will be presented first, followed by albums, while the Mammy Awards 2021 will close this topic next year.

As usual with my charts, this Year-End Charts is based on points: a weekly #1 gets 40 points (single) / 20 points (album), a weekly #2 gets 39 points (single) / 19 points (album) and so on. These points are all added up and the result is this countdown. Additionally, if a song or an album already made its debut on my weekly charts in 2019, its points for the countdown are reduced by 10%, if it made its debut in 2018, its points are reduced by 20% and so on, up to having made its debut in 2011 or earlier and getting the points reduced by 90%. This way old releases won’t take too much space, since this countdown should be for the year 2020.

Speaking of the year… what a crazy year! I think none of us saw it coming that out of a sudden, we would have to live during a pandemic. That alone makes 2020 a year for the history books. Personally, coming from a rather bad year that was 2019, 2020 obviously had its big challenges as well, but the current year still ends as a pretty great one - it brought me a lot of fantastic new moments. Musically, 2020 was a good year as well. Several big artists finally released new stuff - I mean, Alicia Keys, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Ellie Goulding, Halsey, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Sam Smith, Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendes, Taylor Swift or The Weeknd are just some examples from the mainstream. 2020 also brought back Pop, and served some strong newcomers like Ava Max, Doja Cat or Rina Sawayama.

So I'd already thank everyone who follows this - Have fun, enjoy, and stay healthy

Last years countdown: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2019 / Mammy Awards 2020
    The weekly chart: My Charts

Greetings, Tansike

Last edited by Tansike; Mon December 21, 2020, 16:35.

Singles Year-End Charts 2020 - Bubbling Under:
    Spoiler!

Singles Year-End Charts 2020 - Hot 100:
    Spoiler!

Last edited by Tansike; Tue January 12, 2021, 08:51.

Comment

Looking forward! You're right, despite a pandemic year, a lot of big releases!
      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
        Looking forward! You're right, despite a pandemic year, a lot of big releases!
        Thanks! Yes, 2020 was a great year when it comes music. Really helped a lot getting through the year

Comment

Looking forward to this! I'm not sure who's the favourite, as I've done a crap job keeping up with everyone's personal charts this year, but rooting against "Rain on Me'!
          Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2020: [#1!]
          Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [#1!]
          Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2020: [#1!]

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            Looking forward to this! I'm not sure who's the favourite, as I've done a crap job keeping up with everyone's personal charts this year, but rooting against "Rain on Me'!
            Thanks! Ha, it's actually been the same for me this year, though that makes it even more exciting to follow all the Year-End countdowns now. Aw... I'm surprised you don't like it that much, when it's a Pop banger and Gaga + Ari

Comment

441 different songs made my weekly Singles Top40 in the past 52 weeks. That's less compared to the previous year, as 2019 set a new record with 465 different songs on my weekly charts.

186 different albums made my weekly Album Top20 in the past 52 weeks. 2018 set the record for albums with 205 different entries on the weekly charts.

Despite slightly less entries, the weekly charts still proved to be very diverse this year. Also nearly the same amount of singles and albums crossed the GOLD certification mark this year compared to 2019 - in fact, one more single and one more album crossed the mark compared to 2019.

First update is coming soon!

Comment

Rooting for Grimes and Kim Petras (if that's indeed her I'm seeing)!
                last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                  Rooting for Grimes and Kim Petras (if that's indeed her I'm seeing)!
                  Yes, it is Kim Petras in one of the pictures. I was late to the party, as I only checked her out in the first week of 2020 (well, theoretically still in 2019, but the last week already counts towards this YEC). She's awesome!

Comment

100. Blackpink – Lovesick Girls
                    164 points

Chartrun: *2*-2-6-15-24-33-Out / 6w
                    Certification: -

K-Pop superstars Blackpink open the 2020 countdown with Lovesick Girls, their lead single to their first full-length album The Album. It’s a fun Pop song that has some fresh summer vibes to it, but they have an even better song that made it way higher on the countdown.

MUSIC VIDEO

99. Victoria – Tears Getting Sober
                    164 points

Chartrun: 17-21-29-38-Out-RE *9*-12-20-27-32-Out / 9w

2020 was a very special year and while the Eurovision Song Contest always had a massive impact on my weekly charts, the biggest song contest in the world also got cancelled in 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Victoria would have represented Bulgaria with Tears Getting Sober, a song that sounds like it’s taken from Billie Eilish’s debut album.

MUSIC VIDEO

98. The Roop – On Fire
                    165 points

Chartrun: 9-*8*-13-20-37-Out-RE 18-25-36-38-Out / 9w

…and here’s already the second song from the cancelled Eurovision Song Contest 2020. The Roop is a band from Lithuania and were frontrunners in the betting odds with this fresh and catchy Pop tune.

MUSIC VIDEO

97. Lindsey Stirling – Guardian
                    167 points

Chartrun: *2*-7-9-11-22-28-SC / 6w

Followers of my weekly charts know how much I love Lindsey Stirling. The violinist had a huge year in 2019, and continued to release singles from her latest album Artemis in 2020. Guardian is the most recent one of them. It’s classic Lindsey, though I’d actually rank this among her weaker songs in her whole discography so far. But that only shows that she can do no wrong for me.

MUSIC VIDEO

96. Aura Dione – Colorblind
                    167 points

Chartrun: 12-*9*-15-17-20-19-28-Out / 7w

Danish singer-songwriter Aura Dione came back with a new EP in 2020, with Colorblind being its most successful single from it. One of too many female Pop singers that I really enjoy, but fail to score a hit outside of personal charts these days.

MUSIC VIDEO

Comment

95. Camila Cabello feat. DaBaby – My Oh My
                      167 points

Chartrun: *1*-8-7-10-18-35-Out / 6w

From 36 different top hits in 2020 and 32 that made the Top100 of this countdown, My Oh My is the first one to appear. My Oh My was a clear standout on Camila’s second album Romance already back in 2019, what explains its top debut when it finally got chosen as a single in early 2020. But due to a rather busy time and the fact that I already played this a lot as an album track earlier on, the song didn’t hold up well on my weekly charts. Still a great bop that deserved to be bigger on the official charts out there.

MUSIC VIDEO

94. Delain – One Second
                      168 points

Chartrun: *5*-6-10-13-22-27-36-Out / 7w

I think my charts is known for a rather unusual mix of songs doing well, as you have some pure Pop tunes on one side, but my heart also beats for Rock music, especially for female fronted Symphonic Metal. Delain is a Dutch band doing exactly that kind of music and their sixth album Apocalypse & Chill was the first full album that I got by them this year, with the single One Second being one of its clear standouts. Catchy melody, great clean vocals and just the right amount of Rock that I love!

MUSIC VIDEO

93. Taylor Swift – Cardigan
                      169 points

Chartrun: 6-8-*4*-10-19-30-Out / 6w

Taylor Swift wasn’t one that stood out during the first half of 2020, but oh my godness, how things changed during the second half of the year. Folklore was the first of her two surprise releases and came out in July, alongside its lead single Cardigan. Her main focus for both albums lied on themselves instead of scoring hit singles, so it’s less surprising that Cardigan is Taylor’s first and only appearance on my countdown. But it’s a beautiful song and a deserving #1 hit in the US.

MUSIC VIDEO

92. Within Temptation – The Purge
                      173 points

Chartrun: *3*-3-5-8-13-SC / 5w

A very recent single with this one, as The Purge is still charting high on my weekly charts. The Dutch Symphonic Metal band Within Temptation may have lost their number one streak on my singles charts with this, but The Purge still proved to be another great tune. Their first of two entries on the list this year.

MUSIC VIDEO

91. Vanessa Mai & FOURTY – Mitternacht
                      176 points

Chartrun: 8-*5*-8-12-19-25-34-Out / 7w

German Schlager-Pop princess Vanessa Mai closes this group with Mitternacht, the second single of her upcoming new album Mai Tai. It’s nothing new in the music history books, but a very uplifting, fun and catchy Pop tune that just goes straight in your ears and your feet. And it’s already better than everything from her previous album, so she seems to be back on track as being one of the most successful German artists on my charts.

MUSIC VIDEO

Comment

Bubbling Under

441. Eleni Foureira – Temperatura
                        440. Monique Heart & KOIL – Hot Sauce & High Heels
                        439. Kehlani – F&MU
                        438. Benny Cristo – Kemama
                        437. Poppy – Fill The Crown
                        436. Maren Morris – The Bones
                        435. Jujubee – Together Alone
                        434. Foxes – Love Not Loving You
                        433. Demi Lovato – Anyone
                        432. Kodaline – Wherever You Are
                        431. Selena Gomez & Marshmello – Wolves
                        430. Tove Lo – Sweettalk My Heart
                        429. Miley Cyrus – Mother's Daughter
                        428. Nicki Minaj – Yikes
                        427. Ellie Goulding, Swae Lee & Diplo – Close To Me
                        426. Ava Max – So Am I
                        425. Tim Bendzko – Hoch
                        424. Foxes – Hollywood
                        423. Rachel Platten – Soldiers

422. Beatrice Egli – Verliebt, verlobt, verflixt nochmal
                        421. Keiino – Dancing In The Smoke
                        420. Monique Heart & KOIL – SUKM (Kiss Me)
                        419. Lindsey Stirling – Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
                        418. Anne-Marie – Problems
                        417. Loredana – Tut mir nicht Leid
                        416. Marshmello & Imanbek feat. Usher – Too Much
                        415. Jackson Wang – 100 Ways
                        414. Jasmine Thompson – Love For The Lonely
                        413. Taeyeon – Happy
                        412. Hooverphonic – Release Me
                        411. BTS – Black Swan
                        410. Vanessa Mai & Stereoact – Ja nein vielleicht
                        409. Samu Haber – Enkelten kaupunki
                        408. MAX feat. Hayley Kiyoko – Missed Calls
                        407. Niall Horan – Black And White
                        406. 5 Seconds Of Summer – Wildflower
                        405. James Blunt – The Truth
                        404. Katja Krasavice – Gucci Girl

Comment

Of the actual top 100 I am a fan of both My Oh My and Cardigan.. very different songs but both melodically appealing in their own way.

In the bubbling under, Black and White is great, Problems I am a fan of and considered putting in my chart but it doesn't seem like taking off. Wildflower is the shocking low placement here!
                          Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

"Cardigan" is lovely.

I like these from the bubbling under list. Demi gave such a stellar performance of "Anyone" at the Grammys and "So Am I" is probably my favourite Ava Max song.

426. Ava Max – So Am I
                            425. Tim Bendzko – Hoch

Comment

The Roop & Victoria with some Eurovision representation, that is very nice. Within Temptation's "Purge" is really good.
                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Fan of Cardigan. Forgot all about My Oh My, feels like it was years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                  Of the actual top 100 I am a fan of both My Oh My and Cardigan.. very different songs but both melodically appealing in their own way.

In the bubbling under, Black and White is great, Problems I am a fan of and considered putting in my chart but it doesn't seem like taking off. Wildflower is the shocking low placement here!
                                  Glad you're enjoying those two! Yes, both are very different, but at the same time I feel like both deserved to do better on the official charts out there.

Always good to see some love for Anne-Marie, even though "Problems" was not a great single. She's yet another example of having a great debut era, but failing to get a hit afterwards. Like Zara Larsson. Somehow "Wildflower" didn't click with that much and when their album came out, it was "Easier" than suddenly got all my attention (didn't check that one out previously).

Comment

"Cardigan" is lovely.

I like these from the bubbling under list. Demi gave such a stellar performance of "Anyone" at the Grammys and "So Am I" is probably my favourite Ava Max song.

426. Ava Max – So Am I
                                    425. Tim Bendzko – Hoch
                                    It really is! Though she topped it with "Willow" IMO

A bunch you're enjoying from the bubbling unders, that's nice! Demi put out a lot of stand alone singles this year, but somehow none of them clicked with me as much as her previous stuff did. Fingers crossed she's back full force in 2021. Oh yeah, I think you already said that about "So Am I" somewhere else... unfortunately, it's probably my least favorite single from her ...it's still good, though.

I didn't know you know Tim Bendzko's "Hoch"!

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                      The Roop & Victoria with some Eurovision representation, that is very nice. Within Temptation's "Purge" is really good.
                                      Even though the contest got cancelled, there are still four more entries to come on my countdown, so it still had some kind of impact in 2020. Still, the cancellation was a big loss IMO. Glad you enjoy "The Purge", a bit harder than some of their more recent stuff and I'm totally here for it as well

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                        Fan of Cardigan. Forgot all about My Oh My, feels like it was years ago!
                                        Yes, more love for "Cardigan" Taylor really delivered in the second half of 2020!
                                        Haha, I feel the same, even though her whole album just came out around a year ago. But once it dropped, it was already done and that's probably why it feels so "old" already...

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                          It really is! Though she topped it with "Willow" IMO

A bunch you're enjoying from the bubbling unders, that's nice! Demi put out a lot of stand alone singles this year, but somehow none of them clicked with me as much as her previous stuff did. Fingers crossed she's back full force in 2021. Oh yeah, I think you already said that about "So Am I" somewhere else... unfortunately, it's probably my least favorite single from her ...it's still good, though.

I didn't know you know Tim Bendzko's "Hoch"!
                                          I didn't! I actually quoted it by mistake, but since you pointed it out, I listened to it and I actually do like it.

Comment

426. Ava Max – So Am I

enjoyed these

424. Foxes – Hollywood

didn't know she had a new song out, will check it
                                            last.fm

Comment

I didn't! I actually quoted it by mistake, but since you pointed it out, I listened to it and I actually do like it.
                                              Oh wow, really? That's so cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                                426. Ava Max – So Am I

enjoyed these

424. Foxes – Hollywood

didn't know she had a new song out, will check it
                                                Some great picks!

"Hollywood" is the third of three new singles from this year. She already released "Woman" in May and "Friends In The Corner". A shame she's so underrated now, still hoping for a new album soon.

Comment

90. Keiino – Colours
                                                  176 points

Chartrun: *8*-11-12-15-18-23-27-38-Out / 8w

Norwegian trio Keiino (also stylised as KEiiNO) open this group with Colours, the fourth single of their debut album OKTA. Keiino represented Norway at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 with the fan favorite Spirit In The Sky, and continued to do well in 2020. This fun Pop track is their first of five appearances on the countdown.

MUSIC VIDEO

89. Miley Cyrus feat. Dua Lipa – Prisoner
                                                  177 points

Chartrun: *4*-4-6-6-8-SC / 5w

A very recent one, as Prisoner is still charting well on my weekly charts. The second single of Miley’s new album Plastic Hearts was a small disappointment at first, because it features hit maker Dua Lipa and the expectations were big based on both artists alone. I’m sure both could have done so much better, but Prisoner was still a grower and it’s just so insanely catchy. The first of two appearances for Miley, while Dua had three more successful songs in 2020.

MUSIC VIDEO

88. Melanie C – Overload
                                                  177 points

Chartrun: 19-*16*-17-25-27-23-23-26-26-31-Out / 10w

A high peak on the weekly charts is not always the key to success, as longevity can play a big role as well and Melanie C’s Overload is a great proof for that. Overload is the song on the countdown with the lowest peak on the weekly charts, but that was more due to the competition that was going on and the fact that this is not a smash from the get go, but more like a song that keeps appearing in your mind and that I kept enjoying while listening to the playlist of my weekly charts, so it kept charting week by week. It’s also Melanie’s biggest success on my charts since Think About It in mid 2011.

MUSIC VIDEO

87. Keiino feat. Electric Fields – Would I Lie
                                                  178 points

Chartrun: 3-*2*-5-11-20-28-40-Out / 7w

Keiino opened this group and they already have a second appearance with Would I Lie, a collaboration with Aboriginal Australian duo Electric Fields. This was released as single alongside the album release, so it was a big hit from the get go, but got overshadowed by some other OKTA tracks soon after.

MUSIC VIDEO

86. Grimes – Delete Forever
                                                  178 points

Chartrun: *2*-3-6-10-21-28-39-Out / 7w

Canadian mastermind Grimes had a fantastic year and Delete Forever is her first of three appearances on the list. The song was released as a single alongside the album release and sadly, it was already the final single taken from the masterpiece that is Miss Anthropocene. Being described as a Folk, Britpop and Dance composition, this ballad has a rather unusual sound compared to other songs by Grimes, which is a nice change on one side, but didn’t caught my attention the way most other tracks from the album did on the other side.

MUSIC VIDEO

Comment

Working...
                                                  X