Tansike's Year-End Charts 2020 [Mammy Awards 2021]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
    I was very happy when ESC 2020 was cancelled, but ESC 2021 will have almost the same awful line-up.
    Oh, that's kinda sad to hear, because I though 2020 had some strong entries. Fingers crossed you may enjoy more songs in 2021 then

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
      Icy is great but i have other absolute faves by her. (Do Me for one)
      Then it's probably good to hear that "Do Me" is her only #1 hit on my weekly chart so far (though "Icy" was a bigger success overall)

Fingers crossed she will release another album in 2021!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
        I guess I didn't check in since you hit the top 30! I'm most pleased to see how Doja Cat did, especially Boss Bitch as I feel like it deserved better. I think it was overshadowed by Say So (which I prefer). And also really pleased to see Stupid Love in your top 10- it was my best performing Gaga song!

I do know the Gjon's tears song from Eurovision because Mainshow had all the songs that were supposed to compete listed. And that was one of the ones I enjoyed.

Below your top 20, I'm happy to see Ari, Ava, and Lindsey.
        Agreed on what you say about "Boss Bitch". Should have been such a bigger hit for her, but good that "Say So" was such a big success. Definitely one of the best newcomers lately! Yes to the Gaga love, she finally returned to the carefree Pop and delivered! Though she may have one song that performed even better for me...

Oh, nice to hear you know and enjoy Gjon's Tears! Could have been a big hit for my country at the contest Can't wait to hear his song for the 2021 contest, as he'll be our represent again.

Some great picks, especially pleased to see you mentioning Lindsey

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post

Surprised you say "Icy" is just 'alright', I thought you may like it more. It's probably one of the more interesting recent Pop songs. But yeah, it should have been her breakthrough.
          I see your point in "Répondez-moi" - maybe his 2021 entry will be better for you, as he will represent Switzerland in 2021 as well.
          I am still struggling a little bit with poptimism
          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• I love a number of these... Kim Petras and Halsey’s songs especially. Doja, Clean Bandit, Gags also good
            last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

I am still struggling a little bit with poptimism
              <3

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
              I love a number of these... Kim Petras and Halsey’s songs especially. Doja, Clean Bandit, Gags also good
              I knew you'd be here for some of these <3 Especially pleased about the rather underrated Kim & "Tick Tock"

Comment

5. Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande – Rain On Me
                491 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-3-3-4-5-8-12-17-21-22-26-32-38-9-18-29-38-Out / 19w
                Certification: PLATINUM

Following 911 at #23 and Stupid Love at #9, it was clear that Lady Gaga will also appear on my countdown with Rain On Me, her collaboration with fellow songstress Ariana Grande. In all honesty, my expectations for this were huge as I adore both of them and both belong to my most played and most favorite artists for years. Additionally, Gaga just came from the already surprisingly good Stupid Love, she was about to re-discover pure Pop again and there was a lot of thirst for new Ariana as well, as her last album thank u, next already came out over a year ago. So yeah, going into this I was extremely excited, but I also had mixed feelings because artists rarely meet high expectations like those. Thankfully, Rain On Me met those expectations. Of course, you can always argue that there could have been even more and Rain On Me is also far from being the biggest hit for both - in fact, Gaga already had 13 more successful songs in her discography while it’s Ariana’s tenth most successful song to date. But instead of showing that there was even more potential for this, it more shows how successful both artists already were and still are, as the #5 placement for Rain On Me is still exceptional.

As I already wrote in past updates, 2020 brought pure Pop back on map and Rain On Me is yet another perfect example for that. I love how both singers play with each other and that it’s a true collaboration instead of just adding a guest singer to it. And let me just say that this video is also one of the best videos of 2020, but then I’m probably too biased with both artists. Still, seeing Ariana working that choreography was fantastic and Gaga is just so likable in the video. Thank god the world also appreciated this and finally gave Gaga another Pop hit on the charts.

4. Lindsey Stirling – Sleepwalking
                517 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-4-6-6-7-6-7-12-12-14-16-20-23-24-25-23-29-32-36-40-Out / 21w

A Year-End Charts by me without Lindsey Stirling in the Top10 wouldn’t be a Year-End Charts by me, right? Because ever since her breakthrough in 2013, the violinist has had at least one Top10 entry on the countdowns and so it’s less surprising to see her doing it again with Sleepwalking in 2020. This is Lindsey’s sixth appearance following Guardian at #97, Artemis at #85, What You’re Made Of feat. Kiesza at #51, Til The Light Goes Out at #50 and Between Twilight at #25, making 2020 yet another incredible year for her. That’s not the biggest surprise though, as all those songs but What You’re Made Of were released as singles from her latest album Artemis, and the first three singles of the album all ended up in the Top10 last year (Artemis at #1, Underground at #2 and The Upside at #8). This shows that she still can do no wrong for me.

Sleepwalking has been a favorite of the album since it came out, so I was very pleased when she announced this as a single. I don’t even know why her music connects this much for me, and this is yet another perfect example of how you can do an instrumental track, add some one liners into it, have the usual song structure with verses and chorus, and it just works perfectly for me.

3. Ava Max – Salt
                532 points

Chartrun in 2019: 5-*1*- / 2w
                Chartrun in 2020: *2*-6-13-17-21-30-Out-RE 10-3-2-4-4-9-10-15-23-23-26-26-29-31-34-36-39-Out-RE 32-18-33-Out-RE 27-34-Out / 28w
                Ranking in the YEC 2019: #190

Only six songs from 2019 made my Year-End Charts 2020, which is a very small number compared to previous years, and also just one of those made the Top50 and here it is: Ava Max’ Salt. The song has been a fan favorite for a long time, as Salt was already available on YouTube since 2018, but Ava decided to officially release it on iTunes & Co. in mid December 2019. Despite no official video release, the song has turned into a surprise hit for the singer and even reached the official Top10s in Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Norway, Poland and Switzerland, so this was her first real proof not to be a one hit wonder in many territories.

The song also quickly became a hit on my weekly charts, where it topped the charts in the final week of 2019 and still did well through the first few weeks of 2020. It’s just pure Pop bliss and exactly what I was hoping for from Ava. It also became the first of Ava’s sixth number one singles on my weekly charts, her first song to spent 30+ weeks there and her first Platinum certified release. A true success!

Comment

• Does someone likes to guess the two most successful songs of 2020?

Coming on Monday or Tuesday!

Comment

• Yay for "Rain On Me" and "Salt"!
                    Can't wait for your top 2 songs of 2020!
                    I need to catch up with my Year-End list.
                    Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

• Salt was seemingly loved online but nowhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by sergejdordij98 View Post
                        Yay for "Rain On Me" and "Salt"!
                        Can't wait for your top 2 songs of 2020!
                        I need to catch up with my Year-End list.
                        Glad you like those two Pop gems!

Top2 coming soon, most likely later today

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                          Salt was seemingly loved online but nowhere else.
                          That's a surprising comment, because it was the song that proved she's not a one hit wonder in several countries... it reached the official Top10s in Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Norway, Poland and Switzerland and therefor was bigger than "So Am I" in those countries.

Comment

• I like the whole aesthetic of "Sleepwalking".
                            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• For a Gaga song, "Stupid Love" is unforgivably basic. Its hook is a huge disappointment for me and I'm still stunned she and her team went ahead with that one as the lead.

That "Midnight Sky" remix with Stevie Nicks had too much going on for me to digest it, but maybe I should revisit it one of these days.

I do like "Rain on Me". I 100% agree that it felt like a true collab with them riffing off each other, and that music video is divine indeed!

"Salt" is terrific! Love it. Can't really criticise any aspect of it - just a grade A pop song from start to finish.

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              Does someone likes to guess the two most successful songs of 2020?

Coming on Monday or Tuesday!
                              Uh..."Kings & Queens" and "Noise"? I'm guessing Nightwish over Ava.
                              Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                I like the whole aesthetic of "Sleepwalking".
                                That's amazing to hear! She keeps being underrated IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                  For a Gaga song, "Stupid Love" is unforgivably basic. Its hook is a huge disappointment for me and I'm still stunned she and her team went ahead with that one as the lead.

That "Midnight Sky" remix with Stevie Nicks had too much going on for me to digest it, but maybe I should revisit it one of these days.

I do like "Rain on Me". I 100% agree that it felt like a true collab with them riffing off each other, and that music video is divine indeed!

"Salt" is terrific! Love it. Can't really criticise any aspect of it - just a grade A pop song from start to finish.
                                  Yeah, "Stupid Love" was probably not the choice for a lead single. Imagine how big "Alice" could have been Still, I really love this and even though it's basic, I was actually glad having a basic Pop song by Gaga again...

I think you already told me somewhere that the Stevie Nicks remix didn't work for you, but you're enjoying the original, right? I think both are awesome and it's good to have Miley back again.

Always here for some love for "Rain On Me"

Very pleased to hear you also enjoy "Salt" a lot. Should have been even bigger...

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                  Uh..."Kings & Queens" and "Noise"? I'm guessing Nightwish over Ava.
                                  <3

Comment

• Salt is nice, very Ava
                                    last.fm

Comment

• Sorry for being so late with this @ everyone. Somehow I always forget how busy the early year is for me due to my job, and always forget to prepare this countdown early enough so I can just copy + paste Final update definitely coming today or tomorrow!

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                      Salt is nice, very Ava
                                      Yes, she knows how to do great Pop music

Comment

2. Ava Max – Kings & Queens
                                        806 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-3-3-3-4-6-7-9-11-13-15-14-17-17-22-27-30-10-9-19-28-37-Out-RE 10-12-23-32-39-Out / 30w
                                        Certification: 2x PLATINUM

With 274 points more than Salt, Ava Max also takes the runner-up spot this year with her Pop gem Kings & Queens. 806 points for the second most successful song of the year is also more than what Lindsey Stirling’s Artemis (#1 on the Year-End Charts 2019 with 587 points) and Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson’s Symphony (#1 on the Year-End Charts 2017 with 686 points) got, making this a strong runner-up. Kings & Queens is the second longest charting single of 2020 with 30 weeks, and also the second longest running number one single with four weeks atop the weekly charts.

Released as the fifth single of Ava’s debut album Heaven & Hell, this song was what solidified her status as a hit maker instead of just being a one hit wonder. It really is Pop heaven and the track I needed from her. And even though it won me over immediately, the world still needed some time as Kings & Queens had a moderate start at first, but became her second biggest hit in many countries after a while, with only Sweet But Psycho having performed even better. I just love how this fits so perfectly into the Pop scene these days, but also has lots of elements from the 80s Glam Rock era.

Ava Max had a fantastic year, as Kings & Queens is already her sixth appearance on the countdown following My Head & My Heart (#76), OMG What’s Happening (#71). Alone, Pt. II with Alan Walker (#41), Who’s Laughing Now (#26) and Salt (#3), while she was also bubbling under with So Am I (#426), Christmas Without You (#364), On Somebody (#178), Torn (#138) and Naked (#129).

1. Nightwish – Noise
                                        1.034 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-3-3-3-5-6-2-1-2-2-3-5-8-9-10-12-8-9-8-11-17-21-22-19-24-26-24-17-24-31-33-40-39-38-35-Out / 38w
                                        Certification: 2x PLATINUM

The title as the most successful song of 2020 goes to Noise by Nightwish!

The Finnish Symphonic Metal band is no stranger to my weekly charts and this is probably also not the biggest surprise at #1 for people who know me. I discovered Nightwish in around 2004 – 2005, just in time when I started to get really into all the music and charts stuff. The band was my most favorite artist until Kerli took over in around 2008-2009, and then continued being my most favorite band ever, until fellow Symphonic Metal band Within Temptation took over for around two years during their Hydra era in 2014 – 2015. Noise was Nightwish’s long awaited comeback, as it served as the lead single to their ninth studio album HUMAN. :||: NATURE., that got released in April 2020 as their first proper studio album since Endless Forms Most Beautiful (2015). A five years gap is a long time, but the band surely didn’t disappoint with this.

Musically, Noise is a typical Nightwish single as it’s typical Symphonic Metal, very catchy, but also has its twists. I think this would be a shocking experience for many mainstream fans or people who are not familiar with this type of music. For me as a long time fan, I actually think this is one of their most Pop sounding releases ever, especially when you would take away the bridge that has the typical out of the box elements the band is known for. The official video is a gem, too. It tells the story of our digital age with tons of easter eggs. Watching it for the first time was rather disappointing because I didn’t get all the references, but I ended up watching the video many, many times and I’m still not bored of it, and also not by the song itself.

Nightwish’s Noise becomes the eighth song to score over 1.000 points in a calendar year – record holder is the band themselves with Élan (1.246 points in 2015). Noise joins Élan as their second #1 on a Year-End Charts, though they also came really close with Amaranthe as the runner-up of the Year-End Charts 2007. With that, Nightwish becomes the third artist with multiple year-end charts toppers, following Miley Cyrus, who topped the Year-End Charts 2009 with The Climb and the Year-End Charts 2010 with Can’t Be Tamed, and Lindsey Stirling, who topped the Year-End Charts 2013 with Crystallize and the Year-End Charts 2019 with Artemis.

With 38 weeks on the weekly charts in 2020 and five weeks at number one, Noise is also the longest charting and longest running top hit of 2020. The band has released three singles in 2020 and all of them made the countdown, as they already appeared with Harvest at #47 and with How’s The Heart? at #45.

Comment

• Kings & Queens is cool, it has a very familiar melody (reminds me of Bon Jovi songs ) but that guitar part is so catchy.
                                          last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                            Yeah, but to be fair Miley is in the business for over ten years and she's still having some nice success after all. Also, Selena and Demi have been struggling getting hits as well, so I guess it's just people "moving" on from those artists...
                                            Yeah, very fair point. Miley's generation of Disney stars have all struggled with recent releases (though Selena would be in a better position if Rare hadn't been handled so poorly after LYTLM).

Oh really? I didn't hear those rumors yet but I'd be totally here for new music by Ava. Though I think she should wait a bit, as "My Head & My Heart" is currently rising in some countries now that the Christmas craziness is over. With that said, I would love more releases from "Heaven & Hell" but I get why she's already moving on, that's the case for many artists these days (thanks to the streaming era...).
                                            Looks like the rumors I'd seen about a new Ava single ("Emotions") didn't come true anyway (at least not yet), and her team actually seems to be properly focusing on MH&MH now. It's off to a decent start on pop radio in the US, and keeps climbing in the UK (slowly but surely). Hopefully the video leads to a big boost!

I love the new cover artworks and would die to get them in physical as well Though I already loved the original covers. What do you think about them?
                                            I like it, but I was a little surprised that Grimes didn't draw it herself (since I think she made all the Art Angels artwork personally?) My favorite MA cover was the original deluxe edition one.
                                            • "Sweet Melody" still isn't one of my Confetti faves, but I'm really glad that it managed to go all the way to No. 1 in the UK as a "farewell gift"/tribute of sorts for Jesy. Like you mentioned, I'm not sure why Little Mix rarely get a push outside the UK. I think they officially promoted a couple of their singles over the years in the US, but nothing from their last couple albums.
                                            • Even though Dua's debut era felt pretty big, Future Nostalgia felt like an even bigger "breakthrough" for her, elevating her to another level of pop stardom across the globe.
                                            • I've gotten back into Positions over the past couple weeks (partially thanks to "34+35" hype), and the title track has grown on me more than it ever did last year (it even earned a new peak on my last personal chart).
                                            • "Love Me Land" deserved to be bigger, and her team's decision to switch their focus back to "Wow" didn't help.
                                            • I totally owe you for bringing "Lemons" to my attention, so thanks again for that! It narrowly missed out on my Top 50 of 2020.
                                            • Thrilled to see "You Should Be Sad" make your Top 15! I wouldn't have expected Halsey to release such an amazing country-pop bop, but she pulled it off SO well, and the video fit perfectly too. YSBS should've been as big as "Without Me."
                                            • Love the double Gaga inside your Top 10 (especially since both of those tracks made my Top 10 of 2020 too). Chromatica was exactly what I wanted from Gaga (or even better than I could've imagined) after she spent several years veering in a direction that didn't do as much for me with Joanne and ASIB. These high-energy inspiratonal/motivational dancefloor anthems were just what I needed for pick-me-ups during the many lockdown days last year (well, and still now).
                                            • Even more imperssive is Ava doubling-up in your Top 5! Both of those entries were among my 2020 faves as well (just not QUITE as high as they landed here). Ava really embraced her nostalgic-pop niche over the past year or so, and just kept delivering satisfying bop after bop after bop. Her material feels especially refreshing at a time when songs with this sound are so rare on official charts. Does 806 points make K&Q your most successful Year-End No. 2 ever?
                                            2020 was awful in truly devastating ways, but this countdown shows how much amazing music emerged during that shitstorm of a year!
                                            last.fm

Comment

• Kings & Queens was a total bop, loved its longevity in the UK!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                                Kings & Queens is cool, it has a very familiar melody (reminds me of Bon Jovi songs ) but that guitar part is so catchy.
                                                True... it also gives me major Bonnie Tyler vibes and I'm not even mad about it

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                                  Yeah, very fair point. Miley's generation of Disney stars have all struggled with recent releases (though Selena would be in a better position if Rare hadn't been handled so poorly after LYTLM).
                                                  Yeah, Selena still did really well compared to the other two. Though speaking of her, I really don't know if it's a good idea to follow that messy era up with a Spanish release now. Mixed feelings here

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                                  Looks like the rumors I'd seen about a new Ava single ("Emotions") didn't come true anyway (at least not yet), and her team actually seems to be properly focusing on MH&MH now. It's off to a decent start on pop radio in the US, and keeps climbing in the UK (slowly but surely). Hopefully the video leads to a big boost!
                                                  Ava really is the queen of sleeper hits I'm glad they keep promoting "My Head & My Heart" cause as you say, it keeps taking off in some countries and it's far from over yet. A video release may give it a final boost, fingers crossed!

I like it, but I was a little surprised that Grimes didn't draw it herself (since I think she made all the Art Angels artwork personally?) My favorite MA cover was the original deluxe edition one.
                                                  Oh true, didn't even think about this yet but yes, iirc she also made the covers for every album herself, not just "Art Angels". Anyways, agreed about the original deluxe edition cover being the best one <3

• "Sweet Melody" still isn't one of my Confetti faves, but I'm really glad that it managed to go all the way to No. 1 in the UK as a "farewell gift"/tribute of sorts for Jesy. Like you mentioned, I'm not sure why Little Mix rarely get a push outside the UK. I think they officially promoted a couple of their singles over the years in the US, but nothing from their last couple albums.
                                                  Still surprised "Sweet Melody" isn't among your "Confetti" faves, as so many people are raving about it. But it's cool that the album offers more for you, as it's always "sad" when a single already ends up as the best song on an album. A well deserved #1 in the UK and yeah, weird how they rarely have success outside the UK. Probably the fault of their previous label (Syco), which is known for screwing up artists (Leona Lewis being another example).

• Even though Dua's debut era felt pretty big, Future Nostalgia felt like an even bigger "breakthrough" for her, elevating her to another level of pop stardom across the globe.
                                                  • I've gotten back into Positions over the past couple weeks (partially thanks to "34+35" hype), and the title track has grown on me more than it ever did last year (it even earned a new peak on my last personal chart).
                                                  • "Love Me Land" deserved to be bigger, and her team's decision to switch their focus back to "Wow" didn't help.
                                                  True about Dua & Zara! Also nice to hear you got back into "Positions" - sadly, I can't share those thoughts, it's still my least favorite album by Ariana so far

• I totally owe you for bringing "Lemons" to my attention, so thanks again for that! It narrowly missed out on my Top 50 of 2020.
                                                  • Thrilled to see "You Should Be Sad" make your Top 15! I wouldn't have expected Halsey to release such an amazing country-pop bop, but she pulled it off SO well, and the video fit perfectly too. YSBS should've been as big as "Without Me."
                                                  So happy how you discovered "Lemons" through my charts and enjoyed it so much! Have you already tried to give her album a spin?
                                                  Yes, "You Should Be Sad" was such a surprise coming from Halsey, but it worked perfectly for her. Another one that should have been way bigger, especially in Europe, so I agree with you there.

• Love the double Gaga inside your Top 10 (especially since both of those tracks made my Top 10 of 2020 too). Chromatica was exactly what I wanted from Gaga (or even better than I could've imagined) after she spent several years veering in a direction that didn't do as much for me with Joanne and ASIB. These high-energy inspiratonal/motivational dancefloor anthems were just what I needed for pick-me-ups during the many lockdown days last year (well, and still now).
                                                  Sorry, I obviously checked out your YEC but don't remember if i replied to it, probably not I'm bad these days
                                                  But yes, it was nice to see we have several songs in common on our lists <3
                                                  So I totally agree with your comment about "Chromatica" - it's just a shame that this seems to be another "Rare" situation, another great album getting screwed up by an awful campaign. Fingers crossed the rumors about a "Sour Candy" video tomorrow are true!

• Even more imperssive is Ava doubling-up in your Top 5! Both of those entries were among my 2020 faves as well (just not QUITE as high as they landed here). Ava really embraced her nostalgic-pop niche over the past year or so, and just kept delivering satisfying bop after bop after bop. Her material feels especially refreshing at a time when songs with this sound are so rare on official charts. Does 806 points make K&Q your most successful Year-End No. 2 ever?
                                                  Yes, Ava really delivered some awesome pure Pop bangers in 2020 and I'm so happy she keeps doing that. It's also nice to see a completely new artist actually having success with pure Pop songs, that's rare these days like you say, and even some "older" acts struggle with their Pop material. I even like to think that Ava actually started all that Pop revival with "Sweet But Psycho", so her and Gaga keep having things in common

Ugh, love that question and it's something I didn't even look at previously, so it was fun compiling this list:

The most successful songs not reaching #1 on the Year-End Charts:

1.096 pts - Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding - I Need Your Love (#2 on YEC 2013)
                                                  1.024 pts - Anette Olzon - Lies (#2 on YEC 2014)
                                                  1.001 pts - Lindsey Stirling ft. Lzzy Hale - Shatter Me (#3 on YEC 2014)
                                                  897 pts - Ariana Grande ft. Zedd - Break Free (#4 on YEC 2014)
                                                  882 pts - Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (#5 on YEC 2014)
                                                  810 pts - Ariana Grande - God Is A Woman (#2 on YEC 2018)
                                                  806 pts - Ava Max - Kings & Queens (#2 on YEC 2020)

So since having a weekly Top40 in 2013, "Kings & Queens" is the seventh most successful song not reaching #1 on the YEC.
                                                  With that said, 2014 was a really strong year!

2020 was awful in truly devastating ways, but this countdown shows how much amazing music emerged during that shitstorm of a year!
                                                  I'm probably very alone on this but I keep thinking that I actually really enjoyed 2020 as a year, especially when it comes to music, but also in several personal aspects But that's probably also because I'm blessed with a job that isn't much affected by the pandemic, so I'm very thankful for that. Fingers crossed 2021 will be a better year for many again! Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                    Kings & Queens was a total bop, loved its longevity in the UK!
                                                    It was! And yes, glad it showed longevity in the UK, though it deserved to be even bigger IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X