Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2021: [#1]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2021: [#1]

    Britney Spears winning the 2011 artist of the year crown - so really a decade ago - was the last time I've had such a clear champion. Back then the poll option was to guess my second-favourite artist that year since the winner was a foregone conclusion. It should be slightly less obvious this time 'round, but who ran away with the gauntlet for me in 2021?



    ​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​
    3
    Adele
    0%
    0
    Kacey Musgraves
    0%
    0
    Kanye West
    0%
    0
    Summer Walker
    0%
    0
    Taylor Swift
    100.00%
    3
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
    AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

    I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

  • #2
    Hmm, this is tougher - would you put the same artist at the top of both your album and artist list?

    Well, only one of them released two albums, so I'll go with Taylor this time

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      Hmm, this is tougher - would you put the same artist at the top of both your album and artist list?

      Well, only one of them released two albums, so I'll go with Taylor this time
      Well, technically, I counted 'Evermore' as a 2021 release, so one could say that, for me, she released three albums this year. We'll see, though!
      Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
      AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

      I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

      Comment


      • #4
        25. Elton John - 252 pts.



        The knighted legend made a rather random return to the pop music scene, scoring two UK #1s in the same year he turned 74. One of those featured Ed Sheeran, but the other was actually good - an amalgamation of previous hits "Rocket Man" and "Sacrifice", with the latter's hook serving as the "Cold Heart" title.
        Code:
        Last Year's Rank: NE
        No. of Plays: 272
        Year-end Songs: Cold Heart [#10]
        24. DaBaby - 253 pts.



        The first, but certainly not the last, of my problematic faves, besides homophobia and ignorance, DaBaby also gave us some solid bars and music videos in 2021. Besides his obvious shortcomings, he's pretty clever and creative with his visuals and yeah, he's still hot af, so there's that card he always has to play.
        Code:
        Last Year's Rank: 21
        No. of Plays: 148
        Year-end Songs: Throat Baby [#18]; Jail, Pt. 2 [#76]
        23. Autoheart - 254 pts.



        A most organic discovery for me this year, Autoheart has gifted me some incredibly relatable lyrics in a way that only a queer act could. I'm looking forward to keeping up with the band's releases henceforth.
        Code:
        Last Year's Rank: NE
        No. of Plays: 112
        Year-end Songs: I Know That He Loves Me [#36]; Better Version of Me [#83]; Look Up, Look Up [#91]
        Year-end Albums: Hellbent [#24]
        22. Tinashe - 282 pts.



        Tinashe did not have quite as impressive a year in 2021 as she did in 2019, but '333' was still a solid release featuring one of my favourite tracks of the year. I'm looking forward to her returning soon with something closer to her 'Songs for You' best.
        Code:
        Last Year's Rank: RE
        No. of Plays: 184
        Year-end Songs: Last Call [#23]
        Year-end Albums: 333 [#22]
        21. Steps - 315 pts.



        Steps were overshadowed by bigger pop acts releasing even better albums this year, but they quietly released some textbook earworms as they've been doing for over two decades now.
        Code:
        Last Year's Rank: NE
        No. of Plays: 92
        Year-end Songs: Heartbreak in This City [#35]
        Year-end Albums: What the Future Holds Pt. 2 [#18]
        Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
        Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
        AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

        I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Steps had a decent year, feel lucky we got to have the tour too it was great fun. Elton having three UK no1 in a year is wild to me still.
          Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

          Comment


          • #6
            25. Elton John - 252 pts.
            21. Steps - 315 pts.

            Elton John was someone who probably no one expected to smash in 2021, yet he did it and it was well deserved. It's nice that he can retire while being on such a high!

            Always knew about Steps' existence, but never really knew who they were, so them appearing on Drag Race finally got me to check them out a bit more. Definitely a group full of sympathetic people!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
              Steps had a decent year, feel lucky we got to have the tour too it was great fun. Elton having three UK no1 in a year is wild to me still.
              Yeah, 2021 was surprisingly warm to legends!

              Originally posted by Tansike View Post
              25. Elton John - 252 pts.
              21. Steps - 315 pts.

              Elton John was someone who probably no one expected to smash in 2021, yet he did it and it was well deserved. It's nice that he can retire while being on such a high!

              Always knew about Steps' existence, but never really knew who they were, so them appearing on Drag Race finally got me to check them out a bit more. Definitely a group full of sympathetic people!
              Yeah, it's great that a younger generation of music fans are likely getting introduced to him. Not that his legacy was ever in question, but this year's success was perhaps even way more than he envisioned having at this stage of the game.

              Glad you appreciate Steps. Have you heard "Deeper Shade of Blue" and "Scared of the Dark"? Those two are my faves from them.
              Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
              Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
              AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

              I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

              Comment


              • #8
                20. Mariah Carey - 326 pts.



                While it seems that most of the fanbase flocked to the low-tier Christmas song that's not even a festive fit for the holidays, I instead opted for the grade A balladry, first-class songwriting, sweeping melodic magic of "Somewhat Loved". All these decades in and MC still manages to put my truth to paper with a consistency and accuracy that's yet to be matched.
                Code:
                Last Year's Rank: RE
                No. of Plays: 560
                Year-end Songs: Somewhat Loved (There You Go Breakin' My Heart) [#8]
                19. Nicki Minaj - 359 pts.



                With her finally uploading 'Beam Me Up Scotty' to streaming platforms, throwing a few quality new songs at us, and featuring on one of my fave club bangers of the year, 2021 was very much an appetizer year for Madame Minaj. I'm ready for the main course, which is hopefully ready to be served next year.
                Code:
                Last Year's Rank: RE
                No. of Plays: 740
                Year-end Songs: Seeing Green [#57]; Whole Lotta Money [#58]
                18. Dua Lipa - 368 pts.



                Last year's queen steps down as 2021 was somewhat of a cooling off year for her. Still, she managed to put out some quality new songs, the best of which was the surprise transatlantic smash "Cold Heart". Though it didn't make the main show, "We're Good" was a pretty decent song that turned out to be rather prophetic.
                Code:
                Last Year's Rank: 1
                No. of Plays: 288
                Year-end Songs: Cold Heart [#10]; Can They Hear Us? [#44]
                17. Nick Jonas - 467 pts.



                2021 was a banner year for the youngest Jonas Brothers member. It's always nice when someone who's had a middling career steps up and NJ did so in a significant way with his 'Spaceman' era. I'm curious to see if this is a one-off or a pivot towards consistently good music.
                Code:
                Last Year's Rank: NE
                No. of Plays: 220
                Year-end Songs: This is Heaven [#17]; 2Drunk [#94]; Don't Give Up on Us [#96]
                Year-end Albums: Spaceman [#15]
                16. Tyler the Creator - 500 pts.



                It only took a decade, but I finally checked out a full-lengthy Tyler the Creator project and I enjoyed it. As I mentioned over in my songs countdown, it's not easy to keep my attention for eight minutes, yet Tyler's top two tracks were in excess of that. He has a concert in Duluth this upcoming March and I think I'll be there!
                Code:
                Last Year's Rank: NE
                No. of Plays: 80
                Year-end Songs: Sweet/I Thought You Wanted to Dance [#20]; Wilshire [#32]
                Year-end Albums: Call Me If You Get Lost [#17]
                Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  15. ABBA - 506 pts.



                  Following a 4o-year hiatus, pop royalty ABBA returned in fine style in 2021, with an album worthy enough to sit adjacent their most classic LPs on the mantle. Would be great to have even more new music from them in the coming years, but if this is a farewell album, it's a good note on which to bow.
                  Code:
                  Last Year's Rank: NE
                  No. of Plays: 368
                  Year-end Songs: Keep an Eye on Dan [#24]
                  Year-end Albums: Voyage [#13]
                  14. Jazmine Sullivan - 526 pts.



                  An act that I'd been aware of for north of a decade, but never bothered to actually explore a full-length album of hers, 'Heaux Tales' was released when there was little else in the way of new music as competition and its brevity made it an attractive option. In truth, the album grew on me a lot over the year and I'm happy it's getting awards recognition. Hopefully, she wins a Grammy so she can break that unfortunate tie she shares with Björk for most nominated but non-winning female act.
                  Code:
                  Last Year's Rank: NE
                  No. of Plays: 128
                  Year-end Songs: On It [#51]; Bodies [#71]; Girl Like Me [#84]
                  Year-end Albums: Heaux Tales [#11]
                  13. Agnes - 601 pts.



                  I did not think Agnes would be among the names of best pop stars of 2021, but the pandemic seems to be bringing with it more than its fair share of surprises on the musical side. Agnes was another act where brevity of LP worked in her favour, but I do hope for a lengthier next effort with the same quality maintained.
                  Code:
                  Last Year's Rank: NE
                  No. of Plays: 180
                  Year-end Songs: Magic Still Exists [#13]
                  Year-end Albums: Magic Still Exists [#7]
                  12. The Killers - 620 pts.



                  Leading the charge for the alternative rockers in 2021, the Killers put out a solid album that featured some of the most exciting songs of the year. It only took this long for me to explore an album of theirs, but maybe I'll find some time in 2022 to sit with their overall discography some more.
                  Code:
                  Last Year's Rank: NE
                  No. of Plays: 128
                  Year-end Songs: In the Car Outside [#11]; In Another Life [#61]; Quiet Town [#63]; The Getting By [#95]
                  Year-end Albums: Pressure Machine [#14]
                  11. JoJo - 680 pts.



                  Despite releasing a new album last year, JoJo didn't score enough points to feature in my artists countdown; however, in 2021, there would be no denying her. Once more, brevity worked in an artist's favour as her EP was all killer, no filler.
                  Code:
                  Last Year's Rank: NE
                  No. of Plays: 232
                  Year-end Songs: Good Enough [#37]; Worst (I Assume) [#72]; Spiral SZN [#74]; Fresh New Sheets [#80]
                  Year-end Albums: Trying Not to Think About It [#9]
                  Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                  Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                  AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                  I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Agnes being recognized wasn't on my 2020s card at the start of the decade
                    Waffles are checked cookies

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Listen. to. Jazmine. Back. Cat. Haha. Her and Jojo are amazing artists whose latest output isn’t quite up my street but whom I still appreciate, Nick had a great year.
                      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        Glad you appreciate Steps. Have you heard "Deeper Shade of Blue" and "Scared of the Dark"? Those two are my faves from them.
                        I only heard their newest album so far, so I'll check those two songs out!

                        20. Mariah Carey - 326 pts.
                        19. Nicki Minaj - 359 pts.
                        18. Dua Lipa - 368 pts.
                        17. Nick Jonas - 467 pts.

                        15. ABBA - 506 pts.
                        14. Jazmine Sullivan - 526 pts.
                        13. Agnes - 601 pts.
                        12. The Killers - 620 pts.

                        I didn't even think Mariah released something noteworthy this year but she's definitely an artist who will appear on some year-end-lists every now and then simply based on her domination around Christmas.

                        Having mixed feelings towards Nicki lately, based on the headlines she's been making this year. So I really, really hope she brings the MUSIC in 2022. Queen was such a good but kinda shortlived era...

                        Yay for all others - with Agnes being my fave of the bunch for sure, and even making it to #13 (my lucky number <3). 2021 was such a great year for her and it's cool to have another Pop artist on our radar now.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                          Agnes being recognized wasn't on my 2020s card at the start of the decade
                          Same here.

                          Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                          Listen. to. Jazmine. Back. Cat. Haha. Her and Jojo are amazing artists whose latest output isn’t quite up my street but whom I still appreciate, Nick had a great year.
                          I will!

                          Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                          I only heard their newest album so far, so I'll check those two songs out!

                          20. Mariah Carey - 326 pts.
                          19. Nicki Minaj - 359 pts.
                          18. Dua Lipa - 368 pts.
                          17. Nick Jonas - 467 pts.

                          15. ABBA - 506 pts.
                          14. Jazmine Sullivan - 526 pts.
                          13. Agnes - 601 pts.
                          12. The Killers - 620 pts.

                          I didn't even think Mariah released something noteworthy this year but she's definitely an artist who will appear on some year-end-lists every now and then simply based on her domination around Christmas.

                          Having mixed feelings towards Nicki lately, based on the headlines she's been making this year. So I really, really hope she brings the MUSIC in 2022. Queen was such a good but kinda shortlived era...

                          Yay for all others - with Agnes being my fave of the bunch for sure, and even making it to #13 (my lucky number <3). 2021 was such a great year for her and it's cool to have another Pop artist on our radar now.
                          She's mainly here because of "Somewhat Loved", which I totally loved!

                          Yep, I definitely want some fire from Nicki in 2022. Her last two albums were so good!
                          Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                          Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                          AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                          I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            10. Billie Eilish - 688 pts.



                            Two years ago, I'd mentioned that I hoped Billie Eilish would give us softer melodies for LP2 and she did just that, whilst still maintaining her trademark edge.
                            Code:
                            Last Year's Rank: RE
                            No. of Plays: 160
                            Year-end Songs: Halley's Comet [#33]; Happier Than Ever [#34]; Therefore I Am [#64]; NDA [#89]
                            Year-end Albums: Happier Than Ever [#12]
                            09. Kanye West - 731 pts.



                            Even with the obnoxiously lengthy 'Donda', Kanye West managed to keep up with the hip/hop pack this year, further cementing his status as the genre's king.
                            Code:
                            Last Year's Rank: RE
                            No. of Plays: 1,012
                            Year-end Songs: Jesus Lord [#21]; Ok Ok, Pt 2 [#67]; Jail, Pt 2 [#76]
                            Year-end Albums: Donda [#16]
                            08. Olivia Rodrigo - 891 pts.



                            Just like you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, you ought not write off a 17-year-old fresh face in music based on her debut single. 'Sour' completely 180'd my opinion on Olivia after hearing "Drivers License" early in the year and loathing it, and now I'm excited to see what she does next. The talent is clearly there.
                            Code:
                            Last Year's Rank: NE
                            No. of Plays: 252
                            Year-end Songs: Good 4 U [#15]; Hope Ur Ok [#50]; Traitor [#79]; Enough for You [#81]; Deja Vu [#86]
                            Year-end Albums: Sour [#4]
                            07. Lil Nas X - 892 pts.



                            Keeping it going strong for era no. 2, Lil Nas X scored multiple US chart-toppers, released the year's best music videos, gave us some of the year's best live performances, and bared his soul on his debut album proper. What more could be asked for from the young star? Well, I'll gently request that he work on his flow, as it could use some work, but he's in good stead to have a decent career, which I'm sure many people weren't expecting from him in 2019.
                            Code:
                            Last Year's Rank: RE
                            No. of Plays: 336
                            Year-end Songs: Industry Baby [#5]; Montero (Call Me by Your Name) [#31]; Scoop [#73]; That's What I Want [#75]; Tales of Dominica [#77]
                            Year-end Albums: Montero [#10]
                            06. Doja Cat - 902 pts.



                            I gave Lil Nas X his flowers for being the year's best visual act, but Doja Cat kept pace with him there and was, in my view, the year's top live performer! She pours so much into her live shows and the way she's able to switch up her staging is wholly impressive. There's a top comment on her "Say So" Grammy performance video that said, "She sung this song in about 74 fonts now", and that's really a testament to how she's able to play with arrangements to keep things fresh. Also, 'Planet Her' was a thoroughly solid album, perhaps more pop than hip/hop, but sleekly produced and well-delivered from a lyrical/bars POV. Since 2010, the female emcees have routinely ended the year as my top rap act and Doja Cat deservedly chalks up another win for the girls this year.
                            Code:
                            Last Year's Rank: 18
                            No. of Plays: 384
                            Year-end Songs: Kiss Me More [#19]; You Right [#40]; I Don't Do Drugs [#62]; Scoop [#73]; Naked [#88]
                            Year-end Albums: Planet Her [#8]
                            Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                            Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                            AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                            I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Not you giving lil nas rapping tips! He will certainly be high up in my artist chart, what a year for the guy. Icon.
                              Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                10. Billie Eilish - 688 pts.
                                08. Olivia Rodrigo - 891 pts.
                                07. Lil Nas X - 892 pts.
                                06. Doja Cat - 902 pts.

                                Glad to see Billie making the Top10 this year - where did she land on the 2019 countdown? I love the contrast to her still dark sounding music and the lighter appearance from her.

                                Olivia Rodrigo is probably THE newcomer of 2021!

                                Lil Nas X at #7... thought he may end up a little bit higher, but still great! I don't even mind his rapping "skills", as he's more of a Popstar of Rap to me. He's also very relatable, because he feels like he's one of us who just happened to score a hit and makes the best out of it now.

                                Doja Cat is awesome, thank godness she finally got her worldwide breakthrough this year.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Olivia has definitely improved much since her Disney-ish MOR debut.
                                  Waffles are checked cookies

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                    Not you giving lil nas rapping tips! He will certainly be high up in my artist chart, what a year for the guy. Icon.
                                    Only 'cause he needs it. Love him tho!

                                    Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                    10. Billie Eilish - 688 pts.
                                    08. Olivia Rodrigo - 891 pts.
                                    07. Lil Nas X - 892 pts.
                                    06. Doja Cat - 902 pts.

                                    Glad to see Billie making the Top10 this year - where did she land on the 2019 countdown? I love the contrast to her still dark sounding music and the lighter appearance from her.

                                    Olivia Rodrigo is probably THE newcomer of 2021!

                                    Lil Nas X at #7... thought he may end up a little bit higher, but still great! I don't even mind his rapping "skills", as he's more of a Popstar of Rap to me. He's also very relatable, because he feels like he's one of us who just happened to score a hit and makes the best out of it now.

                                    Doja Cat is awesome, thank godness she finally got her worldwide breakthrough this year.
                                    Billie was #18 on the 2019 countdown, so a pretty impressive improvement from her!

                                    Olivia is technically the biggest 'newcomer' in terms of debut release, but there's an act I never really explored before 2021 that outranked her...and you can probably guess who!

                                    That's a very true statement regarding Lil Nas!

                                    Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                    Olivia has definitely improved much since her Disney-ish MOR debut.
                                    Most definitely!
                                    Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                    AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                    I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      05. Silk Sonic - 970 pts.



                                      Having given us some of the most lush soul-R&B melodies of 2021, the Silk Sonic project sees Bruno Mars achieving his highest-ever peak on my artists countdown, besting his previous ceiling of #11 from 2010. As discussed last year, the methodology that I used has changed from the 2010s and it seems that Bruno historically fell down in the play count metric, whose weighting has been reduced by a factor of four, despite having strong albums ('Unorthodox Jukebox #8 in 2012 and '24K Magic' #2 in 2018), the album metric weighting now being increased by a factor of five. The maths now works in his favour. Full credit to Anderson. Paak. When the duo inevitably returns to their solo ventures, I'll have to keep up with Anderson's work.
                                      Code:
                                      Last Year's Rank: NE
                                      No. of Plays: 224
                                      Year-end Songs: Blast Off [#26]; After Last Night [#38]; Leave the Door Open [#54]; Smokin Out the Window [#59]
                                      Year-end Albums: An Evening with Silk Sonic [#3]
                                      04. Adele - 1,280 pts.



                                      Seventh in 2011 and second in 2015, this is the third top 10 finish for the British songstress. She returned in much the same fettle as she left, but I clearly missed her as she racks up the highest play count than she's ever managed in a calendar year in 2021.
                                      Code:
                                      Last Year's Rank: RE
                                      No. of Plays: 1,072
                                      Year-end Songs: I Drink Wine [#7]; Easy on Me [#28]; To Be Loved [#39]; Love is a Game [#47]; Oh My God [#78]
                                      Year-end Albums: 30 [#6]
                                      03. Summer Walker - 1,324 pts.



                                      It was a busy Q4 period, as it usually is, but Summer Walker won it for me and in doing so earns a solid third-place debut on my artists countdown. The last time an album as lengthy as 'Still Over It' topped my chart was 'Pink Friday' in 2010 and had I used the same quality rating system I use now back then, it wouldn't have won. So it's a rather significant albums victory for Summer and I am so excited to see what she does next. R&B has really been kept alive thanks to the efforts of acts like Tinashe, Teyana Taylor, and Chloe x Halle, but, for me, Summer Walker is the brightest beacon of them all. The songwriting and vocal talent is unmatched. She's this generation's Erykah Badu, but better.
                                      Code:
                                      Last Year's Rank: NE
                                      No. of Plays: 1,048
                                      Year-end Songs: Insane [#3]; 4th Baby Mama [#6]; Bitter [#25]; Unloyal [#93]; Throw It Away [#97]
                                      Year-end Albums: Still Over It [#1]
                                      02. Kacey Musgraves - 1,500 pts.



                                      15th in 2015 and 11th in 2018, it's a big move up for Kacey Musgraves with her assuming the runner-up role in 2021. 'Star-Crossed' was the album that spoke most directly to the year's personal challenges for me so naturally it lifted Kacey to heights she's not before achieved. In 2015, she earned my year-end #1 album; in 2021, she earned my year-end #1 song, perhaps one day she'll be able to take aim at the artist of the year crown, but for her, and everyone else this year, it was very much out of reach, which is unfortunate for Kacey as 1,500 points would've gotten her the crown last year.
                                      Code:
                                      Last Year's Rank: RE
                                      No. of Plays: 1,360
                                      Year-end Songs: What Doesn't Kill Me [#1]; Justified [#16]; Star-Crossed [#27]; Hookup Scene [#55]; Gracias a la Vida [#66]
                                      Year-end Albums: Star-Crossed [#2]
                                      01. Taylor Swift - 2,072 pts.



                                      Second in 2019, third in 2020, the runaway queen this year - Taylor Swift has absolutely owned the last three years in mainstream music. There are a good few records she took down in 2021 so let's get started on them: (1) for nearly a decade Mariah Carey held the record for most spins in a singular calendar year with 2,751, which the elusive chanteuse managed in 2012 - Taylor takes that down handily by a margin of almost 100 plays; (2) "August" broke the "Crystallize" record in 2020 for most spins by a single song in a calendar year with its 619 spins, this year Taylor takes down that same record with..."August" accumulating 871 spins already making it my most-played song of all-time; (3) 2021 marks the eighth year since 2010 that she's finished within my top 5 artists of the year, beating the previous record of seven years set by...Taylor Swift last year. And all that doesn't even include the records at which she's on the precipice of taking down - she's five days off from besting the 223 days at #1 Rihanna has spent on my daily chart and seven days off from beating the "Hold It Against Me" record for most days spent at #1 on my chart (presently 48 days). It would be enough for her to just take home this, her second artist of the year crown, but she's now angling for my favourite artist of all-time and that is nothing short of brilliant. I don't even have anything else to say about what I want from T-Swizzle; she's already given me more than I could ask for. I'm excited to listen to her re-recordings of her catalogue, as she takes me down memory lane of those earlier fan days and shares precious gems from her vault (such as that incredible 10-minute "All Too Well" version) and listen to the new music she writes along the way. At some point, it should feel like oversaturation, but when the music is this impressive, can you really have too much of a good thing?
                                      Code:
                                      Last Year's Rank: 3
                                      No. of Plays: 2,832
                                      Year-end Songs: Long Story Short [#2]; Right Where You Left Me [#4]; No Body, No Crime [#9]; Renegade [#12]; Willow [#22]; Gold Rush [#84]
                                      Year-end Albums: Evermore [#5]
                                      Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                      AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                      I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Oh it wasn’t even close! multiple albums in a year will do that I guess haha.
                                        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Silk Sonic are probably my faves out of the top 5. So smooth.
                                          Waffles are checked cookies

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            05. Silk Sonic - 970 pts.
                                            04. Adele - 1,280 pts.
                                            03. Summer Walker - 1,324 pts.
                                            02. Kacey Musgraves - 1,500 pts.
                                            01. Taylor Swift - 2,072 pts.

                                            Good Top5 - with the Top2 being clearly my personal faves here. Both did so well in 2021. LOVED reading the text about Taylor, her impact is truly impressive and yes, while it should be overkill, it's nowhere near as that and I keep being so excited for new or re-recorded stuff all the time. It's just clever to have some nostalgia moments paired with discovering new stuff from her.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                              Oh it wasn’t even close! multiple albums in a year will do that I guess haha.
                                              With Evermore alone, this still would've been an extremely clear win for her.

                                              Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                              Silk Sonic are probably my faves out of the top 5. So smooth.
                                              Indeed!

                                              Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                              05. Silk Sonic - 970 pts.
                                              04. Adele - 1,280 pts.
                                              03. Summer Walker - 1,324 pts.
                                              02. Kacey Musgraves - 1,500 pts.
                                              01. Taylor Swift - 2,072 pts.

                                              Good Top5 - with the Top2 being clearly my personal faves here. Both did so well in 2021. LOVED reading the text about Taylor, her impact is truly impressive and yes, while it should be overkill, it's nowhere near as that and I keep being so excited for new or re-recorded stuff all the time. It's just clever to have some nostalgia moments paired with discovering new stuff from her.
                                              Big fax!
                                              Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                              Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                              AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                              I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                OK time to tackle your artist list!
                                                • 25 Oh, Elton - he really came out of nowhere this year, didn't he? Love that Cold Heart is a top ten song at the moment - his first since the 90s!
                                                • 24 Not DaBaby - you really are the most forgiving person - Is it primarily off Throat Baby?
                                                • 23 Oh wait Autoheart is a group? I thought it was just the lead singer all this time. Great discovery in any case
                                                • 20 Yes, I will grant you Somehwat Loved - I really didn't get the love for her Christmas song this year - maybe anything Xmas+Mimi = gold for people. But Somewhat Loved was a good song.
                                                • 19 I actually forgot Nicki served us anything this year. I feel she got more attention for her crazy anti-vax story than anything else. I fear she may have tipped into cancellation for me, but maybe she'll release a banger of an album that will make me forget about how problematic she is,
                                                • 18 Dua didn't make my list at all in 2021! Cold Heart is only now impacting my chart, delayed by Christmas. It didn't even dawn on me that it had been that long because she'd been so omnipresent on my chart in the four years before.
                                                • 17 I don't know if I have high expectations for Nick going forward; I just can't see him matching This is Heaven, but I'll keep fingers crossed.
                                                • 15 I was wondering where ABBA would land - between Elton and ABBA, it's a little 70s revival going on.
                                                • 13 There's Agnes! I tried to link my fingers crossed to the video of her song for it, but the link feature is not working so I guess but UKMix didn't want to participate in the joke.
                                                I'll stop there and check the other half tomorrow!

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                  OK time to tackle your artist list!
                                                  • 25 Oh, Elton - he really came out of nowhere this year, didn't he? Love that Cold Heart is a top ten song at the moment - his first since the 90s!
                                                  • 24 Not DaBaby - you really are the most forgiving person - Is it primarily off Throat Baby?
                                                  • 23 Oh wait Autoheart is a group? I thought it was just the lead singer all this time. Great discovery in any case
                                                  • 20 Yes, I will grant you Somehwat Loved - I really didn't get the love for her Christmas song this year - maybe anything Xmas+Mimi = gold for people. But Somewhat Loved was a good song.
                                                  • 19 I actually forgot Nicki served us anything this year. I feel she got more attention for her crazy anti-vax story than anything else. I fear she may have tipped into cancellation for me, but maybe she'll release a banger of an album that will make me forget about how problematic she is,
                                                  • 18 Dua didn't make my list at all in 2021! Cold Heart is only now impacting my chart, delayed by Christmas. It didn't even dawn on me that it had been that long because she'd been so omnipresent on my chart in the four years before.
                                                  • 17 I don't know if I have high expectations for Nick going forward; I just can't see him matching This is Heaven, but I'll keep fingers crossed.
                                                  • 15 I was wondering where ABBA would land - between Elton and ABBA, it's a little 70s revival going on.
                                                  • 13 There's Agnes! I tried to link my fingers crossed to the video of her song for it, but the link feature is not working so I guess but UKMix didn't want to participate in the joke.
                                                  I'll stop there and check the other half tomorrow!
                                                  - Yeah, it's been a great random resurgence for him. So well-deserved, too.
                                                  - It's primarily driven by "Throat Baby", yes, but he wouldn't have made it without some of his new 2021 songs getting some spins because, as a featured artist, none of the "Throat Baby" spins were allocated to his play count to lift his score.
                                                  - Yep, they're a group!
                                                  - Yeah, I wasn't here for the new Christmas song either.
                                                  - As a West Indian, perhaps I have a higher tolerance for anti-vax stories than most. It could also be that I'm a "blind Barb" as my sister called me a few months back.
                                                  - It's insanely impressive that the 'Future Nostalgia' era is still trudging along into 2022. Definitely an era for the ages.
                                                  - We'll see on NJ!
                                                  - Indeed. If only Diana hadn't released a crap album, she could've joined the party, too.
                                                  - Oh, wait - is that a thing that's happening?
                                                  Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                                  Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                                  AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                                  I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X