• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
    Je Me Casse was so fun!
    ...and it still is IMO!

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
      Sonically, "NDA" might just be the most interesting song on its parent album. I really like it.

ESC is really eating for you this year. "Je me casse" was one of my faves from this year's contest, too.
      Yes agreed with NDA... it also has a similar vibe like You Should See Me In A Crown from her debut, which was my fave from there back then, so probably no surprise I enjoy NDA that much.

Haha yes, the hype for the 2021 contest was so huge for me... I guess it "helped" that the 2020 contest was cancelled. Yes, a true bop for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
        So much stellar stuff here but I'll try not to make this TOO long!
        • I thought releasing the "10 Minute Version" of "All Too Well" was a great treat for long-time fans, but I didn't think I'd actually end up playing it that much - and now it's definitely my preferred/go-to version of the song
        • I completely forgot that Katy released a video for "Not The End Of The World" Incorporating her doppelgänger Zooey into the plotline was such a cute (long-overdue) idea
        • Thrilled that "Willow" made your Top 50! It has all the folksy charm of "Cardigan," but with a MUCH more memorable hook thanks to the "fooolllow," "hooollllow" bits. I forget: did any of the remixes (Dancing Witch, 90's Trend, etc) stand out to you, or did you mostly stick to the album version?
        • Love that Rina's inside your Top 50 too! **Fingers crossed** she drops her next album sometime this year
        • Poor Bebe, "Sacrifice" really did deserve so much better (on official charts). It's wild that she managed to score a big global hit with the country-leaning "Meant To Be," but this dance-pop gem struggled to make an impact basically anywhere
        • Ed gets a lot of shit online for being basic (and people aren't exactly wrong about that), but "Bad Habits" is such a solid, infectious pop song. I'm not here for "Shivers" landing even higher, though
        • I was a bit iffy/mixed on "Good Ones" when I first commented on it in your weekly chart thread, but it grew into one of my biggest hits of 2021 too
        • "Star-Crossed" is such a suitably epic album-opener, but "Simple Times" is definitely my favorite of the Kacey songs that appeared here
        Thanks for coming by

Not too surprised to hear this about All Too Well... so many fans adore the 10 minute version and I'm definitely also one of them! A song that takes 10 minutes always has it difficult to be played regularly, I mean you could play three different songs in the same time, but All Too Well just gives so much in these 10 minutes that it's definitely worth it. And when I play the "normal" version I feel like something is missing now, maybe it's the same for you? It's definitely incredible how successful Taylor is even with a 10 minute song!

Ha yes, I think it came out in the final week of 2020 or so. Not The End Of The World was already a clear standout among fans when Smile dropped, so I guess many fans were happy with the video release alone, but then we even got a pretty nice one with Zoey!

Also glad you like to see Willow in the Top50 - though truth be told, I think Willow deserved even higher, because I really love it and think it's even among her best singles to date. But I guess it hurt a bit that it came out in late 2020 and therefore already charted last year. And yes, Cardigan (or a lot on Folklore) had that folksy charm, but Willow (and a lot on Evermore) got a catchier hook / melody, which is probably also why I ended up enjoying Evermore / Willow more than Folklore / Cardigan. None of the remixes really stood out to me. Heard them even just once or twice when they were released. What about you?

Yes, we need a new album by Rina and Lucid was an awesome direction musically for her.

Yeah, Meant To Be was actually such a weird song to become her biggest hit, because it's not really her genre plus Florida Georgia Line were also far from being well known outside the US. On the other hand, Sacrifice sounds so universal, like something many people could dance to etc., so it was weird how it did absolutely nothing (besides charting a few weeks in the Netherlands...).

Ha, yeah, I know you're not that into Shivers, but for me it's a bit better than Bad Habits. As you say, both are good, catchy Pop songs.

Ah, very glad to hear Good Ones turned into a grower for you! Definitely a big Pop moment in 2021 for me and while New Shapes wasn't as good, it still is a great tune so I'm really excited for Crash. Weird to know that it still takes over two months until the album comes out though.

Kacey had a fantastic 2021! While Star-crossed was the clear "winner" of the three singles for me, Simple Times & Justified actually became her second and third most successful songs ever on my charts as well.

Comment

7. Elena Tsagrinou – El diablo
          414 points

Chartrun: 4-7-12-19-23-28-35-36-Out-RE 4-*1*-3-10-17-24-29-30-27-27-32-39-40-Out / 21w
          Certification: PLATINUM

I think Cyprus has finally found its groove when it comes to their Eurovision entries, as following the successes with Eleni Foureira’s Fuego (#39 on the YEC 2018) and Tamta’s Replay (#5 on the YEC 2019), the country sent another dancing female Pop star to the contest in 2021 with Elena Tsagrinou and the Bad Romance inspired bop El diablo. And as you know, I’m totally here for a female led Pop song that also gets a choreography, so it was no surprise that I immediately enjoyed this song when I heard it for the first time months before the contest, and I got to enjoy it even more during the Eurovision week. Additionally, El diablo is also the longest charting song of 2021, having spent 21 weeks on the weekly charts.

El diablo is still not the last appearance from the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - but who was even more successful?

6. Anette Olzon – Strong
          430 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-1-2-6-8-11-13-17-22-28-32-SC / 14w

Swedish singer Anette Olzon just misses the Top5 for Strong, the title track and fourth & final single to her long awaited second solo studio album that was finally released in late summer 2021. While Anette is still mostly known for being the second lead singer of Symphonic Metal pioneers Nightwish, she actually held her own ever since taking on a solo career in 2013. Her solo debut album Shine, that was released in early 2014, is still to this day the most successful album of all time on my weekly charts, having spent eight weeks at number one and 126 weeks in the Top20 overall. She also released successful music as part of The Dark Element and Allen/Olzon, and due to all that, she’s become one of my most favorite artists ever. Going into the Strong era, I enjoyed the three singles prior the album release, but they didn’t wow me the way I was hoping for, so when the album came out, Strong gave me all the feelings I was looking for and so I was more than happy when this was announced as a single.

Besides having great lyrics especially for that genre, the chorus is where its biggest strength lies. Anette’s solo music has always a soft spot for generic melodies and sounds, but this song here doesn’t have that in the chorus. It’s straight up Metal. I think she rarely released a song with a chorus that hit me as much as Strong did. The verses are good, too, though they do have that “cheesy“ side of Anette a bit and that’s the only reason why this didn’t become an even bigger hit for me. Still, with five weeks atop the weekly charts, Strong is the longest running #1 of 2021, and also Anette’s longest running #1 ever.

Strong is Anette’s fourth appearance on the countdown following Fantastic Fanatic (#46), Parasite (#40) and Sick Of You (#35), while she also bubbled under with I’ll Never Leave You as part of Allen/Olzon (#412) and with The Ghost And The Reaper as part of The Dark Element (#405).

5. Powerwolf feat. Alissa White-Gluz – Demons Are A Girl’s Best Friend
          431 points

Chartrun: *1*-2-1-1-2-2-6-11-14-13-11-19-26-34-Out / 14w

German Power Metal band Powerwolf already released the song Demons Are A Girl’s Best Friend as a single for their 2018 album The Sacrament Of Sin, when it became a big hit in the genre and among fans. I heard about them before, but it wasn’t until they released a new version with Canadian singer Alissa White-Gluz, the frontwoman of Melodic Death Metal band Arch Enemy, as part of their latest album Call Of The Wild in 2021 that I finally got to hear them for the first time. As a fan of Alissa, this immediately became a huge hit on my weekly charts, where it topped for three weeks and was close doing it in many others - the competition was very tough at the moment and at some point, it looked like Demons Are A Girl’s Best Friend may even become the most successful song of the year. Alissa’s growls on this are on another level and yes, the style is definitely not for everyone, but do you believe that I get a smile every time I hear this? Something about this even cheers me up from time to time, and Alissa also serves some fantastic looks in the video.

Besides the original version, Alissa also released an acoustic version for Demons Are A Girl’s Best Friend, where she uses her clean vocals. She’s definitely showing diversity with this and owns both versions of the song, without letting Powerwolf’s sound get lost.

Comment

• Bad Romance, sorry El Diablo, was another good one from ESC!

Comment

Bad Romance, sorry El Diablo, was another good one from ESC!
              Russian fans called it "El Shampoonio"

Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• I’m not the hugest on ESC but both Je Me Casse and El Diablo are cute pop tunes!
                Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Bad Romance, sorry El Diablo, was another good one from ESC!
                  We love a Bad Romance revival

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

Russian fans called it "El Shampoonio"

I can't believe they used that in the actual music video... kinda so bad that it's good!

Comment

• Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                      I’m not the hugest on ESC but both Je Me Casse and El Diablo are cute pop tunes!
                      Yep, two bops <3 Aw, I'm surprised you're not that much of an ESC fan, it really produces some awesome bops lately.

Comment

• I am very much here for "El Diablo".
                        Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                        Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                        AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

I am very much here for "El Diablo".
                          Yes, a bop

btw your guess on who could be the #1 of the year for me "only" made it to #6 in the end...

Comment

• 10. K/DA, (G)I-dle & Wolftyla feat. Bea Miller & League Of Legends – The Baddest

Yes! It might have been lower than I expected a year ago, but this year it's the opposite. The second time K/DA makes a year-end top ten – "Pop/Stars" was #8 for me in 2019.

"Je me casse" was one of my Eurovision highlights, even though it didn't quite make my weekly top five.

Comment

• Originally posted by setg1 View Post
                              10. K/DA, (G)I-dle & Wolftyla feat. Bea Miller & League Of Legends – The Baddest

Yes! It might have been lower than I expected a year ago, but this year it's the opposite. The second time K/DA makes a year-end top ten – "Pop/Stars" was #8 for me in 2019.

"Je me casse" was one of my Eurovision highlights, even though it didn't quite make my weekly top five.
                              Yay, thanks for coming by & I knew you'd be pleased to see this being so high.
                              Honestly, I'm still not sick of the whole All Out EP and really hope they will record some more music for K/DA.

A shame I didn't care to check out Pop/Stars when it actually got released... because it most likely would've done really well for me back in 2019 as well.

Glad you enjoy Je me casse, too!

Comment

4. RuPaul & Tanya Tucker feat. Eureka!, Ginger Minj, Kylie Sonique Love & Ra'Jah O'Hara – This Is Our Country
                                433 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-2-4-3-5-6-8-10-13-17-20-26-32-34-Out / 15w

As followers of my charts know, RuPaul’s Drag Race is not just my obsession outside of music, but the show also produces some hits from time to time that do well on my weekly charts, too. And while the show already produced a good handful of Gold certified hits and usually scores several Top3 peaking entries each year, there hasn’t been that one, real big hit… until All Stars 6 and This Is Our Country happened.

The song broke several records in the Drag Race universe, such as being the first song with multiple weeks at #1, having the most weeks in the Top3, the Top5 and in the Top10, becoming the longest charting track ever, and in the end, it also became the first Platinum certified hit ever, not only in the show’s universe, but across all songs where Drag Queens are involved.

Maybe it helped that the main seasons of the show were on a decline lately and All Stars 6 ended up as a breath of fresh air, having a stellar cast, great storylines, good challenges, mostly deserving critiques and eliminations, and a strong Top4. As usual in a Drag Race season, the four finalists had to write and perform a verse to this song, which also includes Country legend Tanya Tucker. In opposite to many other of these so called Rumixes, This Is Our Country actually sounds like it was released on a major label, could work well on the radio and just stands on its own as a song, also when not directly linked to the show. At least these are the vibes I’m getting. It was also a nice change when it comes to genre, as this Country meets Pop meets R&B (?) was also something never done before on the show, though there are obviously some similarities to Lil Nas X’ Old Town Road. The fact that all verses are actually well written and were mostly well performed is just the icing on the cake. I couldn’t get enough of this for weeks and it just teleported me into the best possible mood whenever I listened to it.

This Is Our Country is already the fourth Drag Race related song on the countdown following Phenomenon (#52), I’m A Winner, Baby (#77) and ConDragulations (#79). There are further entries that bubbled under with Hey Sis, It’s Christmas (#104), Lucky (#115), A Little Bit Of Love (#122), UK Hun? (United Kingdoll Version, #132), B.D.E. (Slice Girls Version, #213), B.D.E. (Pick ‘n’ Mix Version, #231) and UK Hun? (Bananadrama Version, #317), while RuPaul herself also got entries for Blame It On The Edit (#239) and Just What They Want (#312).

3. Keiino – Monument
                                445 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-3-2-2-1-3-3-8-11-17-19-25-33-Out / 14w

Going into 2021, I never expected to see Keiino getting their biggest and best hit ever, but they did when they released Monument already very early in the year. This song was their try to represent Norway at the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 again, after already having represented their country at the contest with Spirit In The Sky back in 2019. Spirit In The Sky ended up as a big success for the trio, as it finished sixth in the Grand Final and even became the first placed song in the televote. It was also a hit on my weekly charts, as it ended up at #9 on the Year-End Charts 2019. Following this huge breakthrough hit, Keiino turned into the probably most reliable releasers among Eurovision artists, as they threw out singles after singles, plus also a debut album called OKTA in 2020.

Unfortunately, Monument wasn’t chosen to go to the actual contest as it ended up as the runner-up in the Norwegian pre-selection, but the song still was a success for me personally. With three weeks at #1 on my weekly charts, Monument is tied with Powerwolf feat. Alissa White-Gluz’ Demons Are A Girl’s Best Friend and Evanescence’ Better Without You as the second longest running top hit of the year. Since it was a big hit from the get go and already debuted in the second week of 2021, Monument was also atop the year-to-date charts through more than half of the year, but it was surpassed by two songs later on.

Monument couldn’t fit more as a song title, as this song truly is monumental. Alexandra’s powerful yet beautiful vocals shine through the whole song and get even better when she hits high notes towards the end, Tom’s vocals are a fantastic addition to her and add well to the vibe of the song, while Fred’s yoik’s give it the typical Keiino touch of combining current Pop music with traditional elements from Norway.

2021 was a strong year for Keiino, as they further charted with Unbreakable (#36) on the Year-End Charts, while they also bubbled under with Addjas (#103), End Of Time (Taste Of Heaven) (#126), Summer Of My Life (#141), Venus (#175) and A Winter’s Night (#374).

Comment

• Keiino comeback would have been great for Eurovision, I have to say TiX had an (early 2000s boyband-style) earworm.

Comment

• Super pleased to see "This is Our Country" so high. As I said before, it was really special to have four queens from the south in the top four, then have this country-heavy song (featuring Tanya Tucker no less) be the final challenge song. It's certainly the most unique song to emerge from the Drag Race franchise and actually one of my favourites as well!

Another fine feature of "Monument" is its video - certainly among my favourites of the year! I have your chart to thank for introducing me to it and I'm disappointed that this didn't represent Norway instead of the crap song that ended up being selected.

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                    Yes, a bop

btw your guess on who could be the #1 of the year for me "only" made it to #6 in the end...
                                    It's been a tough year for me with forecasts!
                                    Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                    AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• I’m really surprised that This Is Our Country so strongly outdid the others, but as a big fan of particularly Ginger and Ra’Jah I’m ok with it!
                                      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                        Keiino comeback would have been great for Eurovision, I have to say TiX had an (early 2000s boyband-style) earworm.
                                        Yes, totally agree ... though I actually don't think they would have ended up as the winners, but Top10 for sure which would have been awesome. I really hated TIX at the beginning, but the song turned into a solid grower after all.

Comment

Super pleased to see "This is Our Country" so high. As I said before, it was really special to have four queens from the south in the top four, then have this country-heavy song (featuring Tanya Tucker no less) be the final challenge song. It's certainly the most unique song to emerge from the Drag Race franchise and actually one of my favourites as well!

Another fine feature of "Monument" is its video - certainly among my favourites of the year! I have your chart to thank for introducing me to it and I'm disappointed that this didn't represent Norway instead of the crap song that ended up being selected.

It's been a tough year for me with forecasts!
                                          Oh, somehow I thought you weren't too much into This Is Our Country but I guess it was a grower for you or my memory is wrong - obviously very happy to hear that you're enjoying it that much though! Everything was right for All Stars 6 overall, so getting a song like that was so pleasing. Now it's will be forever tough to top this for me personally, though I already had similar feelings with the U Wear It Well remix on Canada in 2020 and then we got This Is Our Country less than a year later, so let's see what 2022 will bring us.

Yes, still so happy that you checked out Monument & also immediately liked it that much! And yes, they would've done way better at the contest but I guess it is what it is... but Keiino not winning the Norwegian pre-selection has definitely been one of the most bitter moments of 2021 for me

Haha... well, #6 was still good and to be fair, there hasn't been that one or two big standout hits for me in 2021 like in previous years, so it's also more difficult to guess this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                            I’m really surprised that This Is Our Country so strongly outdid the others, but as a big fan of particularly Ginger and Ra’Jah I’m ok with it!
                                            Glad you approve - and Ginger and Ra'Jah's verses are actually my favorite two!! They really did that. I still can't fully put my finger on why I enjoy This Is Our Country so much compared to other Drag Race songs, probably really because it's not the usual (silly) Dance-Pop stuff and sounds like an actual song. Plus I just needed something like that when it came out, I guess.

Comment

• Amazing to see "Monument" so high! I think it would have slayed in Eurovision but Tix wasn´t bad either (actually my mother´s favourite)
                                              Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                                Amazing to see "Monument" so high! I think it would have slayed in Eurovision but Tix wasn´t bad either (actually my mother´s favourite)
                                                Glad to see you enjoyed Momument as well! Yes, I think they definitely would have made the Top10 yet again. While I'm not sure if this would have been another #1 in the televote, I think juries would've embraced this more than Spirit In The Sky.

Oh wow, that's surprising to hear. I really hated on Tix at first but for all the wrong reasons, so Fallen Angel became a solid grower for me at the end. Still, far from being among my faves.

Comment

2. Halsey – I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God
                                                  501 points

Chartrun: *1*-2-2-4-3-4-6-9-14-20-17-24-22-19-16-18-15-SC / 17w

Coming in as the second most successful song of 2021 for me is I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God by Halsey. The song was released as a single alongside the release of Halsey’s fourth studio album If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power, which was described as a concept album and came out in late summer 2021 without any singles prior its release. That was definitely a risky move especially for a mainstream artist like Halsey, who usually releases a bunch of singles before the album drops, but she played her cards right in my opinion and the hype going into the album release was not only big, but I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God immediately stood out as a clear highlight of the record and therefore being an obvious choice as a single.

Being produced by Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God is a Pop song with sprinkles of other genres. This fits so well to Halsey’s whole discography, as even though she’s undeniable a Pop artist ever since breaking through, she never was just pure Pop like Ava Max or Dua Lipa. There has always been a bit of alternative or Rock about her and her attitude and this song is in my opinion the perfect song for her.

This was definitely a homerun for Halsey, as I Am Not A Woman, I’m A God is her only song to even make my weekly charts in 2021 and then it turned into such a big hit. It’s her highest placement on a Year-End Charts ever and third to make the Top10 following Now Or Never (#8 in 2017) and Strangers with Lauren Jauregui (#10 in 2018), with You Should Be Sad having been close as well (#13 in 2020).

1. Go_A – Shum (Шум)
                                                  521 points

Chartrun: 5-7-14-24-33-40-Out-RE 12-5-9-*1*-2-1-5-5-6-10-19-28-35-38-Out / 20w

The title as the most successful song of 2021 goes to Shum (Шум) by Go_A!

I guess it’s no secret anymore that I stan for the Eurovision Song Contest so I was truly heartbroken when the contest had to be cancelled due to the pandemic back in 2020, but it obviously made sense and it only made the hype for the 2021 contest even bigger, probably as big as it never was for me personally. So it’s fitting to have a Eurovision entry taking the Year-End top spot for the first time ever, as only Loreen’s Euphoria (#3 in 2012) and Nina Kraljic’s Lighthouse (#3 in 2016) came close since I’ve started to compile a personal charts in 2007. With 4.163 points across 30 entries, the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 became the most successful contest on my weekly charts ever, breaking the previous record of 2.476 points held by the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 easily, and tying the 30 entries from the 2018 contest as most entries ever. Shum is also one of five entries from 2021 to top my weekly charts at some point, also the most of any contest so far. Finally, the 2021 contest also scored most certifications with four Gold certified entries and three Platinum certified entries, further proving that a Eurovision song atop the Year-End Charts 2021 is extremely deserved all things considered.

Shum is by far the most successful entry for Ukraine and just the fourth time since making a weekly Singles Top40 that one of their entries makes the Top100 of my Year-End Charts following Go_A’s own Solovey (#68 in 2020), Jamala’s winning title 1944 (#67 in 2016) and Zlata Ognevich’s Gravity (#97 in 2013). Musically, this is difficult to describe but Dark-techno and Folk fits the best. It takes you on a weird, intriguing, and surprisingly catchy journey where you can’t help but either fall in love with it and its hypnotic vibes, or you probably don’t like it. These special vibes also fit well to several moments I’ve experienced in my personal life in 2021, so it’s also a fitting top hit in that aspect.
                                                  The live performance at the contest was a perfect way to bring this song even more to life, and lead singer Kateryna Pavlenko is not only an outstanding performer, but she also immediately casts a spell on you. The icing on the cake is, that Shum also got a fantastic video, which is even among the best Eurovision videos to date and in my opinion.

With 521 points, Shum is just the fourth year-end topper with less than 1.000 points since expanding the singles charts from a Top20 to a Top40 back in 2013 following Kerli’s Feral Hearts (900 points in 2016), Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson’s Symphony (686 points in 2017) and Lindsey Stirling’s Artemis (587 points in 2019), therefore making it the lowest scoring top hit of a year. Still, this doesn’t take away from its massive success and only fits to the 2021 narrative, where I felt like there were more impactful songs & hits than in other years, but less of these huge standout tracks.

With 20 weeks on the weekly charts in 2021, Shum is the second longest charting song of the year, being only one week behind fellow Eurovision artist Elena Tsagrinou’s El diablo. With two weeks at number one, it’s also tied with six other songs as the third longest running number one hits of the year.

Final fun fact, Shum means Noise which basically makes this the second year in a row where the most successful song of the year is called Noise.

Comment

• Who would have thought at the start of 2020 that Go_A will give us a modern Eurovision classic, even though I do accept that Shum may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X