No announcement yet.

Tansike's Year-End Charts 2021 [Albums #20 - #11]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shum was a standout thanks to just how bold and different it was to anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
      Not too surprised to hear this about All Too Well... so many fans adore the 10 minute version and I'm definitely also one of them! A song that takes 10 minutes always has it difficult to be played regularly, I mean you could play three different songs in the same time, but All Too Well just gives so much in these 10 minutes that it's definitely worth it. And when I play the "normal" version I feel like something is missing now, maybe it's the same for you? It's definitely incredible how successful Taylor is even with a 10 minute song!
      Yeah, though I'd love to hear the 10 Minute Version with her 2012 vocals (if such a thing exists), since I think there's something special about her delivery back when this heartbreak was so raw. The youthfulness/inexperience in her earlier recordings helps convey all that pain, whereas some of her new re-recorded vocals come across a tad too polished/precise/professional at times.

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
      Also glad you like to see Willow in the Top50 - though truth be told, I think Willow deserved even higher, because I really love it and think it's even among her best singles to date. But I guess it hurt a bit that it came out in late 2020 and therefore already charted last year. And yes, Cardigan (or a lot on Folklore) had that folksy charm, but Willow (and a lot on Evermore) got a catchier hook / melody, which is probably also why I ended up enjoying Evermore / Willow more than Folklore / Cardigan. None of the remixes really stood out to me. Heard them even just once or twice when they were released. What about you?
      I haven't heard all of them (#flopfan), but I really enjoy both the "Dancing Witch Version" and "90's Trend Remix." The original's still my most-played version by far, but both of those mixes are definitely worthwhile in their own right.

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
      Ah, very glad to hear Good Ones turned into a grower for you! Definitely a big Pop moment in 2021 for me and while New Shapes wasn't as good, it still is a great tune so I'm really excited for Crash. Weird to know that it still takes over two months until the album comes out though.
      Yeah, I'm looking forward to Crash, but I also don't get the logic in putting the album up for pre-order/pre-load SO far in advance. For me, such a long wait diminshes the hype more than enhances it.
      • If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power really was a homerun (well, quality-wise. It deserved to be one on the charts too). Like you mentioned, the genre-blending and experimentation Halsey does across the album totally suits her (without being as avant-garde/high-concept/inaccessible as I thought it might be before it came out). What do you think of the new version of "Nightmare"? (Can't recall how the original did on your charts).
      Here's to even more amazing music moments in 2022, Tancel!

last.fmPaulboard Top 30

Comment

• Energetic top 2.

Comment

• Your #2 is decent. It's great that so many people were pleased with the project.

As for your #1, well, I'm inclined to say that "noise" is a rather apt translation/title for it. I'm in the camp that didn't like it, but great countdown otherwise, as always!
          Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
          Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
          AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
            Who would have thought at the start of 2020 that Go_A will give us a modern Eurovision classic, even though I do accept that Shum may not be everyone's cup of tea.
            Yeah, I already really enjoyed Solovey and was sad they couldn't represent Ukraine anymore when the 2020 contest was cancelled, so I was already happy to have them back in 2021... but never did I expected them to come back like that! I think this is basically to ESC 2021 what Keiino's Spirit In The Sky was to ESC 2019.

(side note, I'm still a bit surprised Shum didn't end up higher on your list )

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
              Shum was a standout thanks to just how bold and different it was to anything else.
              True... and the singer is just so charismatic IMO!

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                Yeah, though I'd love to hear the 10 Minute Version with her 2012 vocals (if such a thing exists), since I think there's something special about her delivery back when this heartbreak was so raw. The youthfulness/inexperience in her earlier recordings helps convey all that pain, whereas some of her new re-recorded vocals come across a tad too polished/precise/professional at times.
                Oh, I never thought about that, but yeah, that's actually a really good point! Also this comment made me re-listen to the original All Too Well because to be honest, I haven't heard the original album in years and never thought about some vocal changes when listening to Red (TV).

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                I haven't heard all of them (#flopfan), but I really enjoy both the "Dancing Witch Version" and "90's Trend Remix." The original's still my most-played version by far, but both of those mixes are definitely worthwhile in their own right.
                Well to be fair I also think I haven't heard them all simply because these EP and remix releases she's doing are a bit too much IMO and just "gimmicks" to get to #1. I would do the same in her shoes though, so I don't blame her, but still... glad to hear you also enjoyed the original version the most <3

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Crash, but I also don't get the logic in putting the album up for pre-order/pre-load SO far in advance. For me, such a long wait diminshes the hype more than enhances it.
                Yes! Also, the album doesn't seem to long so that's even weirder, isn't it? But it can get even worse... a former German Eurovision participant just announced his new album for a late August 2022 release and four of 14 songs are already released

• If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power really was a homerun (well, quality-wise. It deserved to be one on the charts too). Like you mentioned, the genre-blending and experimentation Halsey does across the album totally suits her (without being as avant-garde/high-concept/inaccessible as I thought it might be before it came out). What do you think of the new version of "Nightmare"? (Can't recall how the original did on your charts).
                Here's to even more amazing music moments in 2022, Tancel!
                So happy to see you agree with some stuff I wrote for I Am Not A Woman, I'm A God! Also yes, it should have been a hit on the charts as well... shockingly, it wasn't even just a moderate hit, it was basically completely nowhere on the charts, which is truly sad. But hey, the album earned her the very first Grammy nomination, so I'm definitely crossing my fingers for her to snatch the trophy at least.
                The original version of Nightmare wasn't the biggest hit for me (its chartrun was 14-*10*-17-23-30-Out), but I'm diggin the new version!

Thank you so much

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                  Energetic top 2.
                  I knew you would be pleased about this Top2 and I'm glad you charted them as well, especially Halsey!

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                    Your #2 is decent. It's great that so many people were pleased with the project.

As for your #1, well, I'm inclined to say that "noise" is a rather apt translation/title for it. I'm in the camp that didn't like it, but great countdown otherwise, as always!
                    I knew you weren't the biggest fan of the Top2, especially my number one this year... definitely two songs I honestly also didn't expect to end up this high when they were released, but in the end, I ended up with so many great moments from 2021 and these two songs, so it's fitting.

Thank you!

Comment

• With a little delay, the albums countdown will finally start in just a few minutes!

Comment

50. Blackmore’s Night – To The Moon And Back – 20 Years And Beyond…
                        70 points

Chartrun in 2017: *9*-Out / 1w
                        Chartrun in 2019: *18*-Out / 1w
                        Chartrun in 2020: 15-*14*-19-Out / 3w
                        Chartrun in 2021: 15-12-7-6-*5*-8-13-15-17-18-13-19-18-17-17-20-Out / 16w
                        Certification: GOLD
                        Ranking in the YEC 2017: #155
                        Ranking in the YEC 2019: #189
                        Ranking in the YEC 2020: #156

Medieval Folk band Blackmore’s Night starts this countdown with a completely unexpected entry, as its To The Moon And Back, their best of compilation that was originally already released in 2017. It failed to make a proper impact back then but came back strong in early 2021 due to the hype for their first new studio album since 2015. Since I’m a sucker for this kind of music, this compilation ended up as a big success in 2021 and without the rule for old releases to have reduced points, this would have made the Top15.

49. Elif – Nacht
                        70 points

Chartrun: 3-*2*-5-10-15-Out / 5w
                        Certification: -

Elif’s third studio album Nacht is a great Pop album with some influences from the Alternative genres. This was her first entry on her own on my charts and I only ended up checking her out because she was featured on Katja Krasavice’s Highway, my #20 on the Singles Year-End Charts.

48. Shirin David – Bitches brauchen Rap
                        71 points

Chartrun: *3*-6-4-8-13-Out / 5w

Another German artist, Shirin David released her highly anticipated second album Bitches brauchen Rap towards the end of the year. This is a big improvement over her debut Supersize from 2019, as Shirin has finally found her identity and the album flows so well as a whole. Definitely one of the best Rap or R&B albums of the year.

47. Marina – Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land
                        71 points

Chartrun: *1*-2-8-11-13-20-Out / 6w

This is probably a shockingly low entry on my list this year, but here it is, Marina’s fifth studio album Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land. It debuted right atop my weekly charts as her third consecutive album doing so, but sadly, I got over it rather quickly. The main problem was that by the time this was released, we already got nearly half of the album, so there wasn’t much more to discover and to be fair, the singles also ended up as the standouts on this. It’s still a great album from start to finish, but it’s also one of many albums that suffer from the fact that I personally move on quicker from albums these days than I used to just a few years ago.

46. Brandi Carlile – In These Silent Days
                        72 points

Chartrun: *1*-2-4-10-16-Out / 5w

Following Marina, here’s already the next album that was expected to do way better and despite debuting atop the weekly charts, it didn’t have the legs and ends up being just a good instead of a great success: Brandi Carlile’s seventh album In These Silent Days. While we got nearly all of Marina’s album before it dropped, it’s the opposite for Brandi, as Right On Time was released as the only single so far and nearly three months before the album came out! Musically this is still top notch and deserves all the praise it gets – but this also was the first time one of her albums didn’t top the previous one since her fourth album Bear Creek (2012). But hey, an artist can’t always top themselves, so it had to happen one day.

Comment

45. Iggy Azalea – The End Of An Era
                          72 points

Chartrun: *2*-4-11-10-16-16-17-20-Out / 8w

Iggy Azalea opened the Singles Year-End Charts with I Am The Stripclub (#100) and Sex On The Beach (#99) so it’s less surprising to see her album The End Of An Era also making the albums countdown. This mix of Rap meets club anthem meets Trap works so well for her and I think this is even her best and most cohesive work to date – definitely deserved more attention!

44. Hooverphonic – Hidden Stories
                          74 points

Chartrun: *7*-10-8-8-13-17-14-18-20-Out / 9w

Hooverphonic represented Belgium at the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 with The Wrong Place and while this also ended up as their only single hit in the year, the album as a whole was also very strong. Special shoutout to Full Moon Duel, which would have been a huge hit on my weekly singles charts if it would have been a single.

43. Robin Schulz – IIII
                          74 points

Chartrun: *3*-3-8-10-14-16-20-20-Out / 8w

Robin Schulz released his fourth album in 2021, with the simple but fitting title IIII. While the German DJ and producer isn’t exactly known for his albums, he has been scoring several hits since his breakthrough in 2014. I was definitely positively surprised by IIII as this album has many highlights, especially One More Time and In Your Eyes with Alida.

42. Priyanka – Taste Test EP
                          76 points

Chartrun: *3*-3-6-9-18-Out-RE 19-Out-RE 18-16-Out / 8w

Priyanka, the winner of the first season of Canada’s Drag Race, released her debut EP in 2021. It’s a great Pop record and you can tell that she’s a fan of all the current big Pop artists such as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry & Co., so this was right up my alley. She’s also one of the few Drag Race contestants who take their whole music career as serious as possible.

41. Lorde – Solar Power
                          76 points

Chartrun: *1*-4-5-10-12-18-Out / 6w

Following the critically acclaimed Pure Heroine and Melodrama, all eyes were on Lorde when she announced her third studio album Solar Power in 2021. I got to admit that while I agreed with the critics about Melodrama, which also blew me away at its time, I‘ve never fully grown to enjoy her debut that much. So while Solar Power may have been a critical and commercial failure in comparison to her first two albums, I still enjoyed this a lot and it’s at least better than Pure Heroine – it’s like a breeze of fresh air in the summer.

Comment

Bubbling Under

179. Kerli – Shadow Works
                            178. Arch Enemy – Will To Power
                            177. Nightwish – Showtime, Storytime
                            176. Shawn Mendes – Wonder
                            175. Drake – Certified Lover Boy
                            174. Auri – Auri
                            173. Chloe x Halle – Ungodly Hour
                            172. Anette Olzon – Shine
                            171. Khalid – Scenic Drive
                            170. Katy B – Peace And Offerings EP
                            169. X Ambassadors – The Beautiful Liar
                            168. Little Mix – Confetti
                            167. Grimes – Art Angels
                            166. Mamamoo – WAW EP
                            165. Leaves' Eyes – The Last Viking
                            164. Lady Gaga – Born This Way

163. Milky Chance – Trip Tape
                            162. Lauren Alaina – Sitting Pretty On Top Of The World
                            161. Dami Im – My Reality
                            160. Loredana & Mozzik – No Rich Parents
                            159. Frock Destroyers – Frock4life
                            158. Beatrice Egli – Mini Schwiiz, mini Heimat
                            157. Adore Delano – Dirty Laundry EP
                            156. Anne-Marie – Speak Your Mind
                            155. Lady Gaga – Chromatica
                            154. Vanilla Ninja – Encore
                            153. Todrick Hall – Haus Party, Pt. 3
                            152. Katja Krasavice – Bo$$ Bitch
                            151. Taeyeon – What Do I Call You EP
                            150. James Arthur – It'll All Make Sense In The End
                            149. Meghan Patrick – Heart On My Glass
                            148. 77 Bombay Street – Start Over

Comment

• decent album by Hooverphonic, I was underwhelmed by Lorde's LP
                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• You listen to way more albums than I do!

I don't think Marina will ever top Froot for me, but Ancient Dreams... is good. It just came too late for me to sit with it properly and around the time of its release I was much more interested in Summer Walker's and Adele's output.

Melodrama was my #1 album of 2017, so Solar Power had some huge shoes to fill...and it fell a good way off from doing so. It is breezy and light, but I just think the songwriting that I love Lorde for was not at the same level as her previous two records and the album lacked a stunner. Pure Heroine certainly had more missteps than smashes, but the smashes are among her career-finest efforts. Not sure Solar Power does much to add to her career's lustre, but the title track did hit #1 on my daily chart, so at least that happened.
                                Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

decent album by Hooverphonic, I was underwhelmed by Lorde's LP
                                  Actually my first, but definitely not last album by Hooverphonic. Yeah, many people felt the same with Solar Power

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                    You listen to way more albums than I do!

I don't think Marina will ever top Froot for me, but Ancient Dreams... is good. It just came too late for me to sit with it properly and around the time of its release I was much more interested in Summer Walker's and Adele's output.

Melodrama was my #1 album of 2017, so Solar Power had some huge shoes to fill...and it fell a good way off from doing so. It is breezy and light, but I just think the songwriting that I love Lorde for was not at the same level as her previous two records and the album lacked a stunner. Pure Heroine certainly had more missteps than smashes, but the smashes are among her career-finest efforts. Not sure Solar Power does much to add to her career's lustre, but the title track did hit #1 on my daily chart, so at least that happened.
                                    The more the better Sometimes I think about extending my album charts to a Top30 or so, because albums have it so difficult to reach similar success like they did just 3-4 years ago, simply because I discover way more...

Ah yes, Froot has been such an awesome album and I still think about it so often... especially the title track keeps appearing in my head at least once a month without listening to it for so long now. Glad to hear you still enjoyed Ancient Dreams though.

You summed the situation for Solar Power up perfectly IMO. I think the expectations going into the era were just so big coming from Melodrama, plus the Pop scene has changed so much in just a few years. I think a sonically similar album to Melodrama would've done better than this breezy & light sound. Maybe Lorde has also been less inspired to write stuff than previously, and especially now that she had expectations to meet, it's probably more difficult to write stuff. The title track and Mood Ring are definitely two keepers for me, but I'm not sure if I'll ever care to listen to the rest again...

Comment

40. Tia Kofi – Part 1: The Damage EP
                                      78 points

Chartrun: *6*-7-9-10-12-16-13-17-Out / 8w

Following Priyanka’s Taste Test EP at #42, Part 1: The Damage EP by Tia Kofi is the second and already final Drag Race related appearance on the albums countdown. The Drag Race UK star didn’t do too well on the show itself, but turned into a big fan favorite and also proved that she’s definitely a force to be reckoned with. Similar to Priyanka, Tia also takes her music career rather seriously and released several club bangers in 2021. A great debut EP that makes me excited for what’s to come.

39. Stefanie Heinzmann – Labyrinth
                                      78 points

Chartrun: *4*-6-10-11-15-12-17-18-18-Out / 9w

Stefanie’s sixth album was a short but well done Pop album that sounds good from start to finish. In my opinion, Labyrinth is even the best album by the Swiss singer to date, and through this, she collected her sixth consecutive Top4 peaking album in her home country, further proving that she’s become one of the most successful female artists over here.

38. Helene Fischer – Rausch
                                      79 points

Chartrun: *2*-2-4-6-13-20-Out / 6w

Schlager Queen Helene Fischer finally returned with her new album Rausch in late 2021, her first release since self-titled came out in early 2017. The singer steps further away from her original Schlager sound and goes as much into a Dance-Pop route as never before, which is why I think Rausch is more a Pop record than a Schlager album. Album track Spiele is easily her best song to date and one of the better album tracks of 2021.

37. Hayley Williams – Flowers For Vases / Descansos
                                      79 points

Chartrun: *3*-3-4-8-12-17-Out / 6w

Paramore frontwoman Hayley Williams released her solo debut album Petals For Armor in Spring 2020 and ended up at #30 on the Year-End Charts 2020 with it. It didn’t take her long to record yet another solo record and so she dropped Flowers For Vases / Descancos out of the blue in early 2021 to similar success. Hayley herself compared this to Taylor’s Folklore and I think this is a very fitting comparison. A well crafted album with no fillers and many standouts.

36. Måneskin – Teatro d’ira – Vol. 1
                                      80 points

Chartrun: *3*-8-8-11-12-15-13-18-Out / 8w

Italian Eurovision winners Måneskin are up next with their latest album Teatro d’ira – Vol. 1. Many Eurovision winners (or contestants overall) don’t even try to benefit from their Eurovision fame, so I’m always confused when someone does well there as expected, but you have to wait for months for a single, let alone an album. Måneskin made it right though, as they already released this album prior the actual contest and everything since has become such a success for the sympathetic Rock band… and the best part is, that the album even offers more to discover besides the known singles.

Comment

35. Blackmore’s Night – Winter Carols
                                        81 points

Chartrun: 5-5-5-7-*2*-SC / 5w

Following To The Moon And Back at #50, Winter Carols is the second but still not final appearance for Renaissance band Blackmore’s Night. This Christmas / Winter album was originally released in 2006, but got re-issued for its 15th anniversary in 2021. Coincidentally, Winter Carols was their only album I wasn’t familiar with up to this point, which is why this re-release had such an immense effect on me. A beautiful Winter album and I’m sure I will return to this in the next Winter period too.

34. Nick Jonas – Spaceman
                                        81 points

Chartrun: *3*-4-6-9-11-15-18-Out / 7w

Nick Jonas’ solo career keeps being underrated as with Spaceman, the Jonas Brother already released his third good solo album in a row. This is one of these albums that flow so well as a whole, there’s absolutely no desire to skip a song and you can listen to the whole thing so easily.

33. Rita Ora & Imanbek – Bang EP
                                        81 points

Chartrun: 2-*1*-5-7-13-17-Out / 6w

An unexpected EP by two artists I didn’t see coming – Rita has been no stranger to the charts and already scored several big Pop hits over the years, while I wasn’t familiar with Imanbek at all until this EP came out. As short as it is, there’s no filler and all songs could’ve worked as proper singles. Here’s to hope for more new music in 2022 especially by Rita.

32. Anne-Marie – Therapy
                                        88 points

Chartrun: *1*-2-2-6-10-17-Out / 6w

Anne-Marie released her second studio album Therapy in 2021 and since many female artists from the UK usually suffer from the sophomore slump, all eyes were on Anne-Marie when this got released and while I think she didn’t suffer from that curse like many others, it’s definitely not as successful as Speak Your Mind. Therapy is also not as good as her debut, as while it’s still a good Pop record that you can listen to from start to finish, it definitely lacks originality. You get what you expect, and I’m not sure if that’s too good on just the second album.

31. The Veronicas – Godzilla
                                        90 points

Chartrun: *2*-5-9-10-9-10-16-18-20-Out / 9w

The Australian sisters finally returned with the long awaited new album Godzilla in 2021. This was a rather unexpected discovery for me, as I didn’t even check out all singles from the duo in the last few years simply because I lost interest in them, but as always, Summer 2021 also wasn’t the busiest time and so this release came at the right time. The first spin already caught me by surprise. Sometimes bizarre, never boring, always thrilling, cohesive yet a mess in a positive way.

Comment

Bubbling Under

147. Rag'n'Bone Man – Life By Misadventure
                                          146. Rhye – Home
                                          145. Jazmine Sullivan – Heaux Tales
                                          144. Blackmore's Night – Here We Come A-Caroling EP
                                          143. Nightwish – Decades: Live In Buenos Aires
                                          142. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Dark Element
                                          141. LP – Churches
                                          140. Pokémon 25: The Album
                                          139. SHINee – Atlantis
                                          138. Kylie Minogue – Disco: Guest List Edition
                                          137. Pentatonix – Evergreen
                                          136. Delta Goodrem – Bridge Over Troubled Dreams
                                          135. ABBA – Voyage
                                          134. Baekhyun – Bambi
                                          133. Ellie Goulding – Brightest Blue
                                          132. Becky Hill – Only Honest On The Weekend

131. The Wanted – Most Wanted: The Greatest Hits
                                          130. Lauren Jauregui – Prelude
                                          129. Lady A – What A Song Can Do
                                          128. LaFee – Zurück in die Zukunft
                                          127. The Killers – Pressure Machine
                                          126. Tom Odell – Monsters
                                          125. Ashley Monroe – Rosegold
                                          124. Birdy – Young Heart
                                          123. Jamie-Lee Kriewitz – Seoul 서울 (EP)
                                          122. Ariana Grande – Positions
                                          121. Poppy – Flux
                                          120. Foxes – Friends In The Corner
                                          119. Heart Healer – The Metal Opera by Magnus Karlsson
                                          118. Inna – Heartbreaker
                                          117. Alessia Cara – In The Meantime
                                          116. Kiesza – Crave

Comment

• I always was more "singles listener", but like new LaFee album very much.
                                            Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed February 2, 2022, 08:43.
                                            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• yay for Maneskin. Solid album, a shame their Italian songs got slightly overlooked in comparison

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                I always was more "singles listener", but like new LaFee album very much.
                                                LaFee's album is very hit and miss for me... there are some surprisingly good songs on it, but also some that I don't like. Overall this a solid record, this project could've gone way worse IMO. But I still miss her music from earlier, I loved the Rock sound with her voice.

Comment

yay for Maneskin. Solid album, a shame their Italian songs got slightly overlooked in comparison
                                                  True but also not surprising I guess. "Unfortunately" I also like the songs in English more than the ones in Italian on this

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post

True but also not surprising I guess. "Unfortunately" I also like the songs in English more than the ones in Italian on this
                                                    I really like "Coraline" (they have just performed it live at SanRemo 2022).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X