Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2022: [#1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2022: [#1]

A male artist has never made it further than third place on this year-end artists wrap-up and that's not changing this year. Women have led the pack since 2010 and one of the formidable forces below will be crowned queen. But who?

Beyoncé
    50.00%
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    0%
    Carrie Underwood
    0%
    Rina Sawayama
    25.00%
    Taylor Swift
    25.00%
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Flowers
    AlbumClash 2.0: [SZA vs. Ava Max]

"These gays, they're trying to murder me."

I've made it through all your threads

I see the same three in the album thread I was debating between are here as well. I'm going to toss Carly out as a contender since she's not in the album thread, perhaps pushing out by Encanto? I'd like to think that Taylor isn't going to run away with everything and there's some variety, so I think this time I will go with Bey, who was able to establish her presence mid-year and kind of build from there.

Comment

Starting tomorrow, wohoo Obviously rooting for Taylor, but all five artists are truly amazing so I'd be happy with either of them coming out on top!

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
        I've made it through all your threads

I see the same three in the album thread I was debating between are here as well. I'm going to toss Carly out as a contender since she's not in the album thread, perhaps pushing out by Encanto? I'd like to think that Taylor isn't going to run away with everything and there's some variety, so I think this time I will go with Bey, who was able to establish her presence mid-year and kind of build from there.
        Let's see if you're right about Bey!

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
        Starting tomorrow, wohoo Obviously rooting for Taylor, but all five artists are truly amazing so I'd be happy with either of them coming out on top!
        Let's see if Taylor, as defending champion, defends!

Comment

25. Megan Thee Stallion - 288 pts.

Now that she's been vindicated in the court of law, I hope Megan can take 2023 off and return in 2024 with the fire that I felt was missing from her in 2022. If hip/hop is to survive quality-wise, it'll come down to the female emcees and as the most talented one under 30 she is its future.
          Code:
          Last Year's Rank: RE
          No. of Plays: 128
          Year-end Songs: Sweetest Pie [#66]; Consistency [#88]
          Year-end Albums: Traumazine [#18]
          24. RuPaul - 289 pts.

"You ain't got to reinvent the wheel; the wheel is fine, gurl." Ru took her own advice this year, had an excellent core song in "Catwalk", and had five talented S14 queens add their unique flairs to augment its awesomeness for what quietly became my third-most-played song of 2022. Will be curious to see what her 2023 foray into music yields.
          Code:
          No. of Plays: 372
          Year-end Songs: Catwalk [#3]
          23. Drake - 293 pts.

Drizzy going dance during Pride month was an interesting move. It yielded some of the best music of his career. He's relentless with his output, so I suspect asking him to take 2023 off is asking too much. I suppose 'when' he does release next year, I hope he can continue to keep it fresh and not just dial it in as he has done so often from 'Views' onwards.
          Code:
          No. of Plays: 260
          Year-end Songs: Calling My Name [#17]; Sticky [#71]
          22. Omar Rudberg - 295 pts.

The sexiest new star of 2022 for me, Omar really won me over with just that singular anthem "Moving Like That". If I could get more of that next year, that'd be great!
          Code:
          Last Year's Rank: NE
          No. of Plays: 132
          Year-end Songs: Moving Like That [#20]
          Year-end Albums: OMR [#21]
          21. Meghan Trainor - 330 pts.

Meghan had the unenviable task of releasing her album the same day as two of the nominees to win this year, so kudos to her for still being able to salvage whatever attention she could from me that day and for the rest of the hectic Q4 period. Her music isn't always the most adventurous, but she is a talented songwriter and comes off as a charming personality, so I hope she has a long career and continues to churn out random hits.
          Code:
          No. of Plays: 80
          Year-end Songs: Mama Wanna Mambo [#96]
          Year-end Albums: Takin' It Back [#11]

Comment

Going on my run-through on your threads now, Akini! I'm so behind!

Pleased to see Megan in here, even if she didn't do much for me in 2022. I hadn't considered how the trial might be affecting her. I hope you're right that it gives her the energy for a great new year. I agree she is the best of the emcees out there, even if Doja gets more attention.

I think I've lost my drive to follow Drake because it's so much quantity not quality from him. I didn't hate his dance album, but it felt like it was such a flash in the pan culture-wise that nothing form it stuck, and he was out with another album by year's end anyhow. I guess I don't follow Drake enough to know if there were even lead singles for those albums.

OMG Omar - I feel in love with him so hard this year. It's killing me that I dropped Netflix for the holidays for Hulu and Disney, because Young Royals next season is back. Anyhow, he created an anthem this year for me, and while his album was mixed for me, he had some great tracks on there that kep the party going.

Comment

Who knew Meghan Trainor would be in anyone’s lists come the end of 2022.

Comment

Voted for Beyoncé in the poll!

Comment

Big year for Omar Rudberg
                  Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Going on my run-through on your threads now, Akini! I'm so behind!
                    This is me with FSC this month (and almost every month, tbh).

Pleased to see Megan in here, even if she didn't do much for me in 2022. I hadn't considered how the trial might be affecting her. I hope you're right that it gives her the energy for a great new year. I agree she is the best of the emcees out there, even if Doja gets more attention.
                    I will say I like Doja more and she generally has better music.

I think I've lost my drive to follow Drake because it's so much quantity not quality from him. I didn't hate his dance album, but it felt like it was such a flash in the pan culture-wise that nothing form it stuck, and he was out with another album by year's end anyhow. I guess I don't follow Drake enough to know if there were even lead singles for those albums.
                    Samesies.

OMG Omar - I feel in love with him so hard this year. It's killing me that I dropped Netflix for the holidays for Hulu and Disney, because Young Royals next season is back. Anyhow, he created an anthem this year for me, and while his album was mixed for me, he had some great tracks on there that kep the party going.
                    Eh, I couldn't get through Young Royals S2. It's so odd to watch him go from this electric performer that oozes sex appeal to the dry character Simon.

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                    Who knew Meghan Trainor would be in anyone’s lists come the end of 2022.
                    I wouldn't have forecasted it!

Voted for Beyoncé in the poll!
                    Let's see!

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                    Big year for Omar Rudberg
                    Indeed!

Comment

20. Summer Walker - 334 pts.

With no new solo music this year, Summer Walker was still present in 2022 through features with the likes of the Weeknd, Ciara, and Ari Lennox. It was "Best Friends" that went the distance with me, but she's essentially earned me as a fan for life as of this year, as evidenced by me spending more money to see her live than any other artist! And she was everything I had hoped she would be and more. Fingers crossed I get to see her live more regularly in the years to come, before she retires from music to make soap.
                      Code:
                      Last Year's Rank: 3
                      No. of Plays: 600
                      Year-end Songs: Best Friends [#9]
                      19. Charli XCX - 359 pts.

I listened to Charli XCX more in 2022 than all previous years combined, so it was a major breakthrough year for her after viewing her more as a random bop-dropper over the years with "Break the Rules" and "Boys". Hopefully, this can be the start of an upwards trajectory for her on my charts.
                      Code:
                      No. of Plays: 188
                      Year-end Songs: Constant Repeat [#67]; Lightning [#69]
                      Year-end Albums: Crash [#17]
                      18. Harry Styles - 381 pts.

17th in 2017, Harry Styles almost matches that peak this year and he came armed to impress, too, with a super smash on the charts that was actually quality, his best and most cohesive album to date, and and a handful of gay sex scenes thrown in for flavour. He really did cover all bases, so no notes from me.
                      Code:
                      No. of Plays: 300
                      Year-end Songs: As It Was [#18]; Late Night Talking [#60]; Cinema [#92]
                      Year-end Albums: Harry's House [#24]
                      17. Ella Henderson - 428 pts.

15th on both my year-end songs and albums lists, I wish Ella had gotten more plays from me this year to give her a shot at 15th place here for the sake of parallelism. Eight years is an entire career for most, so to have that lengthy a stretch in between albums is risky. I'm pleased she was able to follow up with something solid and hopefully she's in a place now to release more regularly.
                      Code:
                      No. of Plays: 144
                      Year-end Songs: Ugly [#15]
                      ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Everything I Didn't Say [#15]
                      16. MisterWives - 473 pts.

Easily my favourite discovery of 2022, MisterWives won me over with grade A, relatable songwriting and simple but incredibly infectious and effective production. I've just found out about them and I'm already thirsty for a new full-length album from them, so I hope they can bless my playlist with that in 2023.
                      Code:
                      No. of Plays: 420
                      Year-end Songs: Easy [#2]; Wrongside [#16]

Comment

Great pic of Charli. Great that she made your lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                          Great pic of Charli. Great that she made your lists.
                          Yes, she's a stunning woman!

Comment

Obviously you know my favorite of this most recent set is MisterWives! I feel like if they had just been able to release an album, they would have been higher. I wonder if we'll get one in 2023.

I'll be waiting for whatever Summer does next!

Comment

Obviously you know my favorite of this most recent set is MisterWives! I feel like if they had just been able to release an album, they would have been higher. I wonder if we'll get one in 2023.

I'll be waiting for whatever Summer does next!
                              Absolutely! I really hope they have the resources to put out an album next year.

Comment

15. Nicki Minaj - 479 pts.

I was so confident we were getting an album from Nicki this year, I was carving out her crowning write-up in my mind in February. By virtue of going into 2023 sans album, NM5, if ever released, will mark the longest gap between releases for Onika. It's curious that Cardi B also hasn't released a new LP since 2018. My gut tells me we'll get both within six months of the other again, so fingers crossed one of them takes the plunge by April. Oh, and Nicki did 'win' something this year - she's the highest-ranking act here without an album release in 2022.
                                Code:
                                Last Year's Rank: 19
                                No. of Plays: 652
                                Year-end Songs: We Go Up [#32]; Do We Have a Problem? [#41]; Super Freaky Girl [#72]
                                14. Lizzo - 489 pts.

Lizzo didn't have a "Juice" this time 'round, but I may have slept on "Coldplay" this year.
                                Code:
                                No. of Plays: 156
                                Year-end Songs: 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready) [#74]; About Damn Time [#83]
                                Year-end Albums: Special [#8]
                                13. Ari Lennox - 503 pts.

She comes off as one of the biggest sweethearts in music and 2022 was the first year I gave her the full attention she deserved. Her tour ticket prices are looking kinda hefty, so the jury's still out on whether I'll see her live in 2023, but I'll certainly be keeping close tabs on her moving forward regardless.
                                Code:
                                No. of Plays: 140
                                Year-end Songs: POF [#46]; Boy Bye [#59]; Pressure [#84]
                                ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Age/Sex/Location [#14]
                                12. Demi Lovato - 510 pts.

The first and last time Demi Lovato made my year-end artists list was 2013 when she finished 17th, so this deep into her career she's seeing new peaks for me, which is fantastic!
                                Code:
                                No. of Plays: 208
                                Year-end Songs: Eat Me [#14]; Skin of My Teeth [#99]
                                ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Holy Fvck [#12]
                                11. Todrick Hall - 531 pts.

I'm Oprah with the career peaks this year as Todrick bests his 2019 best of 20th.
                                Code:
                                No. of Plays: 140
                                Year-end Songs: Pre Madonna [#27]; Sorry Barbie [#38]; Higher [#78]; Gay Excellence [#87]; Dance Forever [#97]
                                ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Algorhythm [#19]

Comment

Look at you sneaking in another five when I wasn't looking. I am determined to catch up on ALL your countdowns.

Demi has no business being above the other three fantastic women, but I am pleased to see we have Ari pretty close in our respective rankings. I actually expected Todrick to be much higher

Comment

25. Megan Thee Stallion
                                    24. RuPaul
                                    21. Meghan Trainor
                                    20. Summer Walker
                                    19. Charli XCX
                                    18. Harry Styles
                                    17. Ella Henderson
                                    14. Lizzo
                                    12. Demi Lovato

Wohoo for these so far.

YES to RuPaul <3 I mean, it's nice to see someone else also enjoying the tracks from Drag Race. Have you checked out RuPaul's own album Mamaru in early 2022? A new album is already coming next week to go with the S15 premier, so I'm expecting a similar situation with Catwalk aka a song from the new album may be the Catwalk soundtrack plus they may be doing a remix to it later on.

Loved Meghan's comeback in 2022, she deserves it.
                                    Charli XCX had such a strong start going into 2022. Crash remains one of 2022's finest Pop moments IMO.

It's so nice to see how Demi made a nice impact on all three of your 2022 countdowns! Especially reading that they didn't make your countdown in nearly a decade!! So Holy Fvck must be your favorite era from them since Demi?
                                    (OT does Demi still go by they/them - I kinda lost track if I'm being honest )

Comment

Look at you sneaking in another five when I wasn't looking. I am determined to catch up on ALL your countdowns.

Demi has no business being above the other three fantastic women, but I am pleased to see we have Ari pretty close in our respective rankings. I actually expected Todrick to be much higher
                                      Well, at least two of those other women actually put out a. NEW. ALBUM!

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                      25. Megan Thee Stallion
                                      24. RuPaul
                                      21. Meghan Trainor
                                      20. Summer Walker
                                      19. Charli XCX
                                      18. Harry Styles
                                      17. Ella Henderson
                                      14. Lizzo
                                      12. Demi Lovato

Wohoo for these so far.

YES to RuPaul <3 I mean, it's nice to see someone else also enjoying the tracks from Drag Race. Have you checked out RuPaul's own album Mamaru in early 2022? A new album is already coming next week to go with the S15 premier, so I'm expecting a similar situation with Catwalk aka a song from the new album may be the Catwalk soundtrack plus they may be doing a remix to it later on.

Loved Meghan's comeback in 2022, she deserves it.
                                      Charli XCX had such a strong start going into 2022. Crash remains one of 2022's finest Pop moments IMO.

It's so nice to see how Demi made a nice impact on all three of your 2022 countdowns! Especially reading that they didn't make your countdown in nearly a decade!! So Holy Fvck must be your favorite era from them since Demi?
                                      (OT does Demi still go by they/them - I kinda lost track if I'm being honest )
                                      Yeah, I did listen to 'Mamaru' after loving "Catwalk" so much and it was...uh, awful for me. Did you enjoy it?

Yeah, 'Holy Fvck' is definitely her most cohesive album since 'Demi', but she's put out some great singles between the two albums. And yeah, I read something on Twitter that she's using she/her and they/them pronouns, though I will admit that it's hard to keep up with her changing language. Linking the CNN article below:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/enter...nd%20pansexual.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        Well, at least two of those other women actually put out a. NEW. ALBUM!
                                        I feel the clap emoji on those last three words even tho they're not there

Comment

I feel the clap emoji on those last three words even tho they're not there
                                          They're def there in spirit.

Comment

10. Maren Morris - 554 pts.

Her album finished top 10 and now so does she, besting her 2019 best of 24th. Maren's music in 2022 ranged from contemplating a world without a cherish loved one to playfully unpacking all the attractive physical features of her husband. And that's basically 90% of my personality right there, so a clear winning formula.
                                            Code:
                                            No. of Plays: 80
                                            Year-end Songs: What Would This World Do? [#39]; Tall Guys [#56]
                                            Year-end Albums: Humble Quest [#10]
                                            09. The Weeknd - 646 pts.

Before 2022, the Weeknd had made my year-end artists list in five separate editions, but never before had he made the top 10. Besting his 2015 best of 14th, Abel was able to call upon Summer Walker to lift him to the highest peak he's ever had on any of my year-end song countdowns and he also got a solid bump in spins after I had the pleasure of seeing him in August. I played him more this year than any previous year and almost by a factor of three compared to his previous spin-count high!
                                            Code:
                                            No. of Plays: 424
                                            Year-end Songs: Best Friends [#9]; Out of Time [#30]; Take My Breath [#94]
                                            ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Dawn FM [#16]
                                            08. Years & Years - 682 pts.

The first and last time Y&Y made my year-end artists list was in the banner year of 2018, where 'Palo Santo' lifted them to a 10th-place finish. Improving on that this year was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't anticipating 'Night Call' or even aware that there were plans for a new release in 2022. At any rate, it didn't matter as it was an immediate keeper for me. Hope Olly can keep the wheels spinning for years to come and a Drag Race revisit certainly needs to be in the cards!
                                            Code:
                                            No. of Plays: 184
                                            Year-end Songs: Muscle [#42]; Consequences [#55]; Immaculate [#58]
                                            ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Night Call [#9]
                                            07. Panic! at the Disco - 773 pts.

I'd never viewed Panic! at the Disco as an act that warranted a full album exploration, but when Paul posted as his thread title the lyric about Brendon's heavy machinery, I thought, "Okay, let's unpack this." 'Viva Las Vengeance' ended up being one of my top albums of the year as the band brings it with the vocals and the songwriting to an extent beyond my most expansive expectations of them. Will certainly be keeping closer tabs henceforth.
                                            Code:
                                            No. of Plays: 124
                                            Year-end Songs: Don't Let the Light Go Out [#29]; Say It Louder [#47]; Sad Clown [#82]; All by Yourself [#85]
                                            ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Viva Las Vengeance [#5]
                                            06. Carrie Underwood - 1,145 pts.

With two previous top five finishes, in 2012 and 2015 (which were also top three finishes as she was #2 and #3, respectively, those years), my long love affair with Carrie's music continued into year 18, though she narrowly loses out on a top five finish this year. She has a relatively strong scorecard in every department - two top 10 finishes in songs, a top five finish in albums, and she's my third-most-played act of 2022. What lost it for her was the greatness of the album being concentrated to those twin peak ballads and the depth not quite being there for her among the rest of the album tracks. She's coming to town next year during a precarious time for me at work, so fingers crossed I'll be able to slip away that night to enjoy my country music queen in all her live glory, as she's a sterling concert performer!
                                            Code:
                                            No. of Plays: 900
                                            Year-end Songs: She Don't Know [#7]; Wanted Woman [#10]; Burn [#61]; Poor Everybody Else [#86]
                                            ​​​​​​​Year-end Albums: Denim & Rhinestones [#4]

Comment

Night Call was a great album on the whole!

Comment

Night Call was a great album on the whole!
                                                Indeed it was!

Comment

Yay for Maren Morris.
                                                  Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Working...
                                                  X