Zoran's best of 2017 (#1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zoran's best of 2017 (#4)

I haven't listened to the whole thing but I found a weird enjoyment from I Got It, and Out of My Head is cool
    Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

#3 Björk - Utopia

This album being so high on my list might leave some people skeptical, as it was generally not well received by Björk's listeners and casual fans. However, I truly think that Utopia is riding the wave of new-found creativity that began with the release of Vulnicura, two years ago. Both albums were produced by Björk herself and Arca, who has proved to be the perfect match for the Icelandic queen. Her music has evolved and become more airy, embracing new topics and concepts and mixing them with instrumentations that don't necessarily go hand in hand. Utopia, for instance, is mostly characterised by an organic sound (as opposed to the heavy electronics you would expect from Arca) created by a flute orchestra and various strings, which severely contrasts with the lyrical content: in the lyrics, Björk tries to build a future Utopia of digital love, all-embracing feminism, and environmentalism. The album is primal yet modern, soft yet hard. It's from the contrasts that Björk draws beauty, a beauty that you can only catch with multiple, repeated, attentive listens of the album. But once you do, there is no going back from Utopia.

Must listen: Arisen My Senses, Blissing Me, The Gate, Utopia, Features Creatures, Losss, Tabula Rasa, Saint, Future Forever

[youtube:29w6uw32]PHWAZNkqwN4[/youtube:29w6uw32]

Comment

I still haven't listened to Pop 2 and I low-key hate myself for it because I love Charli
        *CLICK* - FREE AMAZON/ITUNES VOUCHERS - *CLICK*

Comment

Originally posted by Biebz
          I still haven't listened to Pop 2 and I low-key hate myself for it because I love Charli
          You should!!! You are truly missing on one of the best pop albums of 2017.

Comment

Re: Zoran's best of 2017 (#3)

Woo for Kelela and The xx
            Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

#2 Lorde - Melodrama

If there's one album that had longevity for me in 2017, that was Lorde's Melodrama. I have been a fan since she debuted with Royals, but she really raised the bar with her sophomore album: Melodrama is the perfect example of how to make a record that is both instantly catchy and artistic. Taylor might have sold 10x than her, but Lorde is the true winner here. By taking pages from Kate Bush' book, Lorde delivered an album that reminisces on her just-finished teenage years, finding the right way to describe in lyrics what is arguably the most complex period of human existence. The songs mostly start from a breakup, but are told from the perspective of a girl who is willing to continue to love, to have her heart broken, but next time with the experience and maturity to deal with it. It's something that most of all have felt in their lives: while the lyrics are very detailed, sometimes even abstract and full of enigmatic metaphors, the experiences that she sings about are universal, and that is the main strength of the album and the reason why it resonates so much with me.

Must listen: Green Light, Sober, Homemade Dynamite, The Louvre, Liability, Sober II (Melodrama), Writer in the Dark, Liability (Reprise), Perfect Places

[youtube:1x35e6rq]J0DjcsK_-HY[/youtube:1x35e6rq]

Comment

Re: Zoran's best of 2017 (#2)

I don't know what to think of Lorde. Her music is okay, but there's something about her I really don't like.
                'Melodrama' is a nice album, but I can't fully enjoy it for some reason.
                Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin
                  I don't know what to think of Lorde. Her music is okay, but there's something about her I really don't like.
                  That's a pity, cause she is really special, IMO :( also, I didn't know you liked The xx!

Comment

Now I will recap my most listened albums of 2017. The order differs quite a bit from my actual chart, so it is nice to point that out.

#1 my yet-to-be revealed #1 (3XP)
                    #2 Taylor Swift - reputation (2XP)
                    #3 Lorde - Melodrama (2XP)
                    #4 Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life (2XP)
                    #5 Björk - Utopia (2XP)
                    #6 The xx - I See You (P)
                    #7 Charli XCX - Pop 2 (P)
                    #8 Kelela - Take Me Apart (P)
                    #9 Kesha - Rainbow (P)
                    #10 RuPaul - Essential Vol. 2 (P)
                    #11 Fever Ray - Plunge (P)
                    #12 Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa (P)
                    #13 Tove Lo - Blue Lips (G)
                    #14 Susanne Sundfør - Music for People in Trouble (G)
                    #15 SZA - CTRL (G)
                    #16 Katy Perry - Witness (G)
                    #17 Sevdaliza - ISON (G)
                    #18 Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
                    #19 Perfume Genius - No Shape
                    #20 St. Vincent - Masseduction
                    #21 Goldfrapp - Silver Eye
                    #22 Muna - About U
                    #23 Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
                    #24 Miguel - War & Leisure
                    #25 Hercules and Love Affair - Omnion

Platinum=300 plays or more
                    Gold=150 plays or more

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
                      Originally posted by Benjamin
                      That's a pity, cause she is really special, IMO :( also, I didn't know you liked The xx!
                      Yeah, I really like The xx. It's the kind of music I like to play late at night when I'm tired.
                      Moody, in a good way.
                      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Utopia is unlistenable and she needs to ditch Arca asap #thereisaidit

she should collab with Calvin Harris a lil bit now

Melodrama is boring and I DO NOT get the acclaim it's getting. and I usually like this alt pop stuff.
                        last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
                          Utopia is unlistenable and she needs to ditch Arca asap #thereisaidit

she should collab with Calvin Harris a lil bit now

Melodrama is boring and I DO NOT get the acclaim it's getting. and I usually like this alt pop stuff.

Repent yourself bish!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yessss! Love Melodrama, it's my #1 album of 2017. Incredible from start to finish. Fingers crossed for Sunday night even though she ain't getting sh*t
                            *CLICK* - FREE AMAZON/ITUNES VOUCHERS - *CLICK*

Comment

#1 Arca - Arca

Arca lands his first #1 album in my year-end countdown, after being in the top 5 with his sophomore album Mutant in 2015. His self-titled is an absolute breakthrough: for the first time, we can hear him sing actual, intelligible lyrics. However, it's necessary to point out how they are sung 1) in Spanish 2) in an operatic style, which causes, for most of the listening public, to rely more on the delivery than the actual lyrical content (which, by the way, is sublime itself). The emotions are in fact conveyed by his malleable voice, an instrument capable of not only expressing a particular thing, but also of being the thing itself, almost as if you knew what Arca sings about before even reading the lyrics. Moreover, the music has also changed: instead of relying on hard, shattering beats like on most of his previous albums, Alejandro Ghersi's instrumentations sound airier, more relaxed, with more room to breathe and reverberate in the listener's ears and mind. In this aspect, Björk has certainly influenced him just as much as he has influenced her. The vast range of genres covered is also impressive: from almost-acapella operatic tracks like Piel, quasi-ballads like Coraje, Fugaces, Miel, techno tunes like Castration and Whip, to Arca's own version of a pop song, Desafío. Thus, the album points at many possible directions for Ghersi's future career, which is sure to take exciting new paths in the future.

Must listen: THE WHOLE DAMN THING

[youtube:j7rx1yud]1YW94Psk0Jg[/youtube:j7rx1yud]

Comment

Re: Zoran's best of 2017 (#1)

Melodrama I liked much of, I will give it another spin today as people clearly think of it even higher than I do.
                                Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

I'm late, but very happy to see Lorde being #2. "Melodrama" definitely was a big highlight of 2017 for me as well

Also enjoyed the ones by Charli XCX and Björk, even though both already released better stuff IMO.

Comment

I need to check this thread out more, but lemme start with listening to Melodrama again. Only listened once.
                                    2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

I need the good sis to come back for just one day and reward Kween’s Caution the only position it deserves
                                      Originally posted by beredy
                                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Working...
                                      X