JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fan
    I was about to say 'I only know Human', but then I actually listened to Skin and I do know that one as well! Just wasn't aware it was by him. Great song though, he has such a strong voice.

I Am Here is a great one as well, one of the best on her new record.

Learn To Let Go is lovely, I was so excited for Kesha's comeback this year and I think she delivered.
    Ohh cool. I've done that before now when i've heard a song and liked the sound of it not really knowing who the artist is, and then weeks later i finally realise who it is. Mans not hot is the best recent example i can think of. I agree Rag'n'Bone Man has such a rich retro soul voice which so goes against his image. I think thats why people have taken to his music over the last year.

YES! I am here is so good and i would be delighted if this was chosen as a future single. But Where we go needs to be a single first.

Unpopular opinion, but i actually thought Kesha's album sounded quite weak and disjointed after listening to some of the tracks that were posted on YouTube. Praying was such a promising start, and so in the end i only really cared for the main single and the two instant grats.

Comment

Originally posted by thankfulforkelly
      Move You is really good! One of my favourites from Meaning of Life.
      Learn To Let Go is nice, although not one of my faves from Rainbow. It sounds very Avril-esque imo
      Miracles is really nice, actually! It grew on me a lot. Never bothered to check out the full Kaleidoscope EP though
      Ahh i knew you would be happy seeing Kelly Clarkson featured. Move you is indeed really good. That said, i've still not checked out Meaning of life. Which of the album tracks are your personal highlights?

I think Learn to let go veers too much towards pop for me to make that connection with Avril, but i can see where you're coming from.

Miracles is also great. I didn't buy the Kaleidoscope ep pretty much because i already bought Something just like this when it was released, and wasn't really bothered about a new version of Hypnotised so it was the three new tracks i was most interested in. If you love old skool Coldplay, i'm sure you would love All i can think about is you, its like a mixture of Coldplay eras between 2000 and 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
        the first bunch is not really my thing, except for maybe London Grammar, good song.
        Carly Rae Jepsen has very sweet, sugary pop music, but that all was and is done by a handful Scandi acts year in-year out without any accolades. Melodifestivalen grants us with a dozen of those songs each year.
        That actually surprises me a little as i thought my first batch of singles veered away from the all out and proud pop music that is guaranteed to start appearing the higher we get.

London Grammar is sublime. I really do think they delivered a beautiful album and the single choices were perfect imo.

As i've already posted, i still think its a shame how Carly keeps releasing new music but UK radio just won't give her any support. At least all those melodifestivalen songs get some chart success in Sweden. Carly's chart success in 2017 was non existent. :(

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills
          Nice to see some lesser played songs from acts I have enjoyed make your cut, particularly the Kelly Clarkson track (though Love So Soft still commands my attention), and Coldplay, though Kaleidoscope did not capture me as their earlier work has.

I agree that I Niall has had the best post-1D work - (along with Zayn). Harry and Liam can lump it.
          That's usually the case when i start my countdowns. It's awash with songs that either didn't have much chart success or they're just my favourite album tracks.

For some reason, i struggled to get into Love so soft and because Move you was released too, it stole it's waive. I only really cared for the new songs on Coldplay's ep but i loved one of the tracks, really liked the second but thought the third one was just ok.

Niall owned it. Who'd have thought? I'm so happy he managed to create some buzz around his album and seeing him getting celebrated in America for making history there with his album made me feel so happy for Niall.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike
            98. P!nk - I am here
            97. LP - Tightrope
            96. London Grammar - Big picture
            95. Kelly Clarkson - Move you
            94. Kesha - Learn to let go
            92. Niall Horan - Mirrors
            91. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the feeling

Strong start so far, with "I Am Here" and "Learn To Let Go" being my faves from the batch. Wouldn't mind if one of them will be a proper single at some point (still not sure if they are really going with the latter for Kesha in the UK now...)
            It's only gonna get stronger. Learn to let go is a strange one because in the last couple of months, i've noticed the music video getting a bit of airplay which got me wondering if it was gonna be pushed as an official single.

Whereas with P!nk, i do have a gut feeling that I am here won't be a single. It's still one of my favourite tracks off her album though. <3

Comment

90. Little Mix - Is your love enough?

After another mightily successful year following the release of Glory days in the autumn of 2016, what did Little Mix do next? They reissued the album with three new tracks. Bargain! :x

Regardless, i do have a soft spot for Is your love enough? which got to #4 at the start of December. Admittedly, it's not a patch on many of their previous singles but if the girls were to release a music video for this track, it could still have a bit more success and longevity in 2018.

[youtube:2e47tfqz]RZNhId1Lziw[/youtube:2e47tfqz]

Comment

89. Justin Bieber & BloodPop® - Friends

Since 2015 there's no denying just how popular Justin Bieber has become. A string of hit singles over the last 18 months have helped to keep Justin Bieber at the forefront in the world of pop. After a number of tracks guesting as the featured vocalist, Justin Bieber teamed up with producer BloodPop® for the synthtastic Friends which, upon its release, seemed like the most obvious global #1. That didn't quite go to plan but nonetheless, i loved the frothy pop nature of the track even if some of Justin's lyrics are incredibly corny.

What surprised me the most was realising that Justin Bieber filmed a promo video for Friends and its essentially a tv commercial for Germany T-Mobile.

[youtube:2otcsbkb]_V0mZ4tB90Y[/youtube:2otcsbkb]

Comment

88. Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be

Bringing us right up to date, at #88 it's the latest single from Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line. Despite being released a few months back, i only really got round to checking out Meant to be in November following its success in Australia. The single entered and peaked at #6 but has managed to stabilise nicely over the last couple of weeks.

There's still a possibility that Meant to be could take advantage of dry January and maybe achieve a new peak (new music pending of course ). If so it could overtake In the name of love to become Bebe Rexha's most successful single in my chart.

[youtube:wvkzu2yv]zDo0H8Fm7d0[/youtube:wvkzu2yv]

Comment

87. Sam Smith - Too good at goodbyes

When Sam Smith announced details of his new single Too good at goodbyes, i just knew from the song title alone that this was going to be a textbook Sam Smith ballad. Well, if it ain't broke... Sure enough, the song was released in September complete with a payola deal with Spotify to force lazy listeners to stream the song.

However, whilst i was willing to dismiss the song as another boring ballad, i actually thought Too good at goodbyes had a lovely warmth about it. It wasn't the most instant of songs but i slowly succumbed to its charm and after three weeks of continuing to grow on me, the track eventually peaked at #6.

Based on what else i've heard from The thrill of it all, it's likely that Too good at goodbyes will be Sam Smith's only top 10 single in my chart from this era.

Oh, and this...

I mean, the resemblance is uncanny!!!

[youtube:ztdtcxjt]J_ub7Etch2U[/youtube:ztdtcxjt]

Comment

86. Coldplay - Hypnotised

Following Miracle (someone special) at #93, Coldplay have their second appearance at #86 with the beautiful melancholy of Hypnotised.

The single was released in March accompanied by a stunning music video directed by Mary Wigmore. A combination of the gorgeous song and equally gorgeous video helped to give Coldplay another top 5 hit. An extended version of Hypnotised was later released as part of the Kaleidoscope ep. Truth be told, i wasn't particularly fussed over a new version of Hypnotised by that point, and decided to stick with the original version.

[youtube:qg618u2t]WXmTEyq5nXc[/youtube:qg618u2t]

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP

Well considering Praying was a #1 in my chart, we might as well have that chat right now sis.

Hahaha, yes I thought it might of been. I'll restrain myself as I don't want you to hate me . It's just not high on my list at all, and I miss Your Drug Is My Love Kesha a lot.
                        Originally posted by SummerPeur
                        Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
                        Originally posted by Goldmoney
                        So does her microphone

Comment

Re: JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Out of all the Bieber stuff of the last few years, I wish Friends had the most success!

Comment

Hypnotised is not bad, but for the band of their calibre the keyboard/piano was either underproduced (maybe deliberately) to make it sound like an 80s ballad.
                            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                              Out of all the Bieber stuff of the last few years, I wish Friends had the most success!
                              Friends is a great track but he's got two features still to come so i'm inclined to disagree.

Maybe its because he's been so overexposed since 2015 but i honestly thought it'd be a massive success. In reality it underperformed by his standards by quite some distance.

Comment

Hahaha, yes I thought it might of been. I'll restrain myself as I don't want you to hate me . It's just not high on my list at all, and I miss Your Drug Is My Love Kesha a lot.
                                Aww, i won't hate you for stating your opinions. To be honest, i think Kesha has come a long (the hard way) since Your love is my drug. I can't see Kesha any songs like that any time soon. I'd say Rainbow is the beginning of a newer more mature Kesha.

Comment

Hypnotised is not bad, but for the band of their calibre the keyboard/piano was either underproduced (maybe deliberately) to make it sound like an 80s ballad.
                                  Perhaps you're right. I hadn't really thought about it like that. It's still so typically Coldplay though but harks back to their earlier sound rather than pop experimental sounds from more recent years.

Comment

Perhaps you're right. I hadn't really thought about it like that. It's still so typically Coldplay though but harks back to their earlier sound rather than pop experimental sounds from more recent years.
                                    ''Unsure'' was the best word that describes my initial reaction towards ''Hypnotised''

Comment

''Unsure'' was the best word that describes my initial reaction towards ''Hypnotised''
                                      In that case going from "unsure" to "not bad" means the song managed to grow on you, and sometimes these are the songs that leave a bigger impression.

Comment

85. Kodaline - Brother

In the last 4 years Kodaline have continued to grow and develop gaining new fans along the way. Their particular brand of indie rock music combined with some of the most heartwarming music videos have helped Kodaline become one of the more successful indie rock acts in my chart.

In June, Kodaline released the first single from their as yet untitled third studio album. Brother is such a gorgeous ballad and whilst i adored the song, it was the accompanying music video that really grabbed my attention, pulled at my heart strings and hit me with such an emotional impact.

Kodaline sure have the knack for creating some incredible music videos, and Brother was no exception. The first time i watched the clip on YouTube i actually got teary eyed. The boy starring in the video as the main character to the storyline is one excellent young actor and he plays his role so impressively. Naturally i just loved everything about the song and it helped Kodaline crack the top 5 giving them their biggest hit since Raging in 2016.

[youtube:3jgrvhf4]m6TXPNybrmk[/youtube:3jgrvhf4]

Comment

^I have only good words for ''Brother''
                                          A spledid music video which does a lot to lift the song and transcend the message way beyond the audio contents.

Comment

Love me some Babe Rexha! Glad to see this pop up. I actually had no idea who sung this song, but I heard it so much on the radio (maybe why I like it, as it was played non-stop haha).

The whole 'maybe we do, maybe we dont' sections are bliss.

Sam Smith - Has a good voice, but don't like any of his music.

Justin - Not a fan either. Some of his songs are quite catchy, and I'm guilty for loving Beauty and the Beat........but I just can't get over his personality, and how blah it is.
                                            Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
                                            Originally posted by Goldmoney
                                            So does her microphone

Comment

84. Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad things

It was in the final week of 2016 when Machine Gun Kelly's breakthrough single Bad things entered my chart. Going into 2017 the track rocketed up to #4 where the song peaked. Then of course there's Camila Cabello who featured on the track. I'm pretty sure nobody in January 2017 would've predicted that Camila would end up going on to have such a spectacular year. As for Machine Gun Kelly, Bad things remains his only successful hit in my chart. Well, At my best was a short lived moderate chart entry so doesn't quite compare.

[youtube:11m9b571]QpbQ4I3Eidg[/youtube:11m9b571]

Comment

A spledid music video which does a lot to lift the song and transcend the message way beyond the audio contents.
                                                I agree 100% with you. For me, Brother is exactly what makes an excellent music video. Having a gorgeous song obviously helps too. I'm curious to see if Kodaline release another new single before the next album is released.

Comment

I agree 100% with you. For me, Brother is exactly what makes an excellent music video. Having a gorgeous song obviously helps too. I'm curious to see if Kodaline release another new single before the next album is released.
                                                  I am perplexed because I only just discovered Brother failed to get even in the top 100 in the UK. Oh, how the times have changed since 2015 for the charts.

Comment

Love me some Babe Rexha! Glad to see this pop up. I actually had no idea who sung this song, but I heard it so much on the radio (maybe why I like it, as it was played non-stop haha).

The whole 'maybe we do, maybe we dont' sections are bliss.

Sam Smith - Has a good voice, but don't like any of his music.

Justin - Not a fan either. Some of his songs are quite catchy, and I'm guilty for loving Beauty and the Beat........but I just can't get over his personality, and how blah it is.
                                                    I'm here to educate. Haha i try to reduce how much i listen to radio because if i heard a song i liked over and over and over i'm sure i would eventually get bored of the song.

I do like the occasional song from Sam Smith but i don't think i could listen his album from beginning to end. A couple of songs mixed with other artists music would be more suitable. His best song imo is still Omen, the track he did with Disclosure.

It's catch 22 with Justin Bieber. He does have an attitude problem, the downside to being a child star are having an entourage from a young age telling him how great he is. But on the flip side, i have liked some of the songs he's featured on throughout 2017.

Comment

I am perplexed because I only just discovered Brother failed to get even in the top 100 in the UK. Oh, how the times have changed since 2015 for the charts.
                                                      LOL don't pay too much attention to the UK charts. Spotify has made the charts a very boring joke sadly. I wouldn't even know where Brother peaked but that's the beauty of personal charts. We get to right a wrong. To be honest, Kodaline might've fared similarly in 2015. :(

Comment

LOL don't pay too much attention to the UK charts. Spotify has made the charts a very boring joke sadly. I wouldn't even know where Brother peaked but that's the beauty of personal charts. We get to right a wrong. To be honest, Kodaline might've fared similarly in 2015. :(
                                                        ''The One'' peaked at #27 and went silver in the UK, so it was some sort of success.
                                                        Charts kinda matter for the outreach and playlisting.

Comment

83. Salvador Sobral - Amar pelos dois

It's time for Portugal. The Man!!!

It only took Portugal 53 years but they finally claimed their first victory after winning the Eurovision song contest 2017 in extraordinary style. Ever since the first time i heard Amar pelos dois, there was something about the song that made me fall in love with the song. The gorgeous strings melody that introduces the song is so classy, and has such a wonderful melody. It was only around the time of the contest that i discovered that Amar pelos dois was written by Salvador's sister Luisa.

Due to health issues, Luisa took her brother's place in the early stages of sound checks and rehearsals. When Salvador arrived in Ukraine, he was treated like a superstar. All this and he hadn't even sung a single note on live tv yet.

His original performance at the Festival da canção remains one of the most fascinating to watch. Perhaps it was the after effects of anaesthetic that actually helped in the long run. The quirky head movements during the performance sure made an impact. Initially i thought it was all part of his act until i read about his operation.

Of course a winner like this was never going to please everyone but for me, Portugal deserved the win. It was a million times better than that wailing mess that won twelve months earlier. :evil:

[youtube:1gsaj7zv]ymFVfzu-2mw[/youtube:1gsaj7zv]

Comment

^I actually have Salvador in my Bubbling Under section...but with a live performance of "Ready for love again'' where he just loves the wailing (which is the obligation for every trained jazz vocalist).

Comment

"The One'' peaked at #27 and went silver in the UK, so it was some sort of success.
                                                              Charts kinda matter for the outreach and playlisting.
                                                              Mind you The one made the charts before Spotify became stratospheric with its stranglehold over the charts.

I do question the relevance of radio playlists. Half the time stations like Radio 1 will end up supporting the same songs that Spotify are pushing. Then other times radio stations playlist songs that just don't resonate with their listeners.

It's a shame that Brother went pretty much unnoticed in the UK. :(

Comment

Working...
                                                              X