Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by JakeP
    I do question the relevance of radio playlists. Half the time stations like Radio 1 will end up supporting the same songs that Spotify are pushing.
    It's like two wings of the same person. Left one is the radio playlists which are now more diverse (madness, isn't it) than supposedly *free and uncensored* Spotify playlists which are the Right wing of media marketing.
    Waffles are checked cookies

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by heppolo
      ^I actually have Salvador in my Bubbling Under section...but with a live performance of "Ready for love again'' where he just loves the wailing (which is the obligation for every trained jazz vocalist).
      Ahh i spotted that one and checked it out. It wasn't really to my tastes though - too long for starters and jazz isn't really a genre i choose to listen to. That said, the performance showcases Salvador's vocals amazingly well.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by heppolo
        It's like two wings of the same person. Left one is the radio playlists which are now more diverse (madness, isn't it) than supposedly *free and uncensored* Spotify playlists which are the Right wing of media marketing.
        Well, radio playlists might be diverse but it sure doesn't reflect in the charts. Spotify is just a sham and i've continued to avoid signing up to the service.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by JakeP
          Originally posted by heppolo
          ^I actually have Salvador in my Bubbling Under section...but with a live performance of "Ready for love again'' where he just loves the wailing (which is the obligation for every trained jazz vocalist).
          Ahh i spotted that one and checked it out. It wasn't really to my tastes though - too long for starters and jazz isn't really a genre i choose to listen to. That said, the performance showcases Salvador's vocals amazingly well.
          In a way, Luisa and ''Amar Pelos Dois'' saved Salvador's life because after the win he was moved up the queue for the heart transplant. Life works in mysterious ways, but I am very glad this happened.
          Luisa is an amazing songwriter and my favourite version of ''Amar Pelos Dois'' is their brother-sister duet as a victory lap of honour (done twice, once in Portugal's national selection and once in Kyiv).
          Waffles are checked cookies

          Comment


          • #65
            82. Harry Styles - Sign of the times


            It was surely inevitable that Harry Styles' debut solo single would be a surefire #1 single, regardless of what the song would sound like. However, i don't think anybody expected a song quite like Sign of the times.

            There's an unmistakeable influence from early David Bowie and The Beatles throughout the whole song. The whole 5 and a half minutes of it!!! Kudos to Harry for not chasing trends and instead opted for a sound that was admittedly very refreshing amongst the onslaught of tropical pop that was dominating the charts.

            When Harry released his self titled debut album, i checked out the previews on iTunes and very few of the tracks resonated with me. Still, i enjoyed Sign of the times and the song reached #5 in my chart in April.

            [youtube:3afhohlj]qN4ooNx77u0[/youtube:3afhohlj]

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by heppolo
              In a way, Luisa and ''Amar Pelos Dois'' saved Salvador's life because after the win he was moved up the queue for the heart transplant. Life works in mysterious ways, but I am very glad this happened.
              Luisa is an amazing songwriter and my favourite version of ''Amar Pelos Dois'' is their brother-sister duet as a victory lap of honour (done twice, once in Portugal's national selection and once in Kyiv).
              That is indeed very true, its almost like it was fate that Salvador got this opportunity, and now he's reaping the rewards.

              Aww, i loved their duet after winning eurovision. It was such a heartwarming moment.

              Comment


              • #67
                81. Ben Delay - I never felt so right


                Time to increase the tempo for my #81 single of 2017.

                Every so often i tend to check out other countries iTunes' charts in search of potential FSC entries and I stumbled across Ben Delay's track I never felt so right on Russia's iTunes chart. Out of pure curiosity i decided to check out the song on YouTube and on first listen i found myself bopping along in my chair.

                After doing a bit of research i discovered that Ben Delay hailed from Germany and so back in February i successfully entered this track into the FSC. The track itself didn't do particularly well in the contest but that didn't stop Ben Delay from peaking at #4 in my chart.

                [youtube:3v2vy46i]pEB3ENnVsZc[/youtube:3v2vy46i]

                Comment


                • #68
                  80. Alessia Cara - How far i'll go


                  Alessia Cara got off to a promising start in January 2017. It all started with the #8 hit Scars to your beautiful which i discovered via a number of 2016 year end charts. Then along came How far i'll go in late January which went on to even greater success and eventually peaked at #6.

                  2017 ended up being a pretty successful year for Alessia Cara. Whist her Zedd collaboration Stay reached my top 10 it was rather short lived. However, it would be in the autumn when Alessia found herself sitting pretty at #1 in my chart thanks to Logic.

                  [youtube:3iwnrchs]ZNra8eK0K6k[/youtube:3iwnrchs]

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    love the tracks by P!nk, Kelly Clarkson and Coldplay.

                    I was listening to my 2017 albums on shuffle about 2 weeks ago and "Hypnotised" was on. I had already forgotten about the way the song sounds like, so when it came on i was like "what song is this again?" until Chris Martin starts singing. I really love this song now. SO beautiful!

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by luckyONE
                      love the tracks by P!nk, Kelly Clarkson and Coldplay.

                      I was listening to my 2017 albums on shuffle about 2 weeks ago and "Hypnotised" was on. I had already forgotten about the way the song sounds like, so when it came on i was like "what song is this again?" until Chris Martin starts singing. I really love this song now. SO beautiful!
                      Hypnotised is so lush, i adore Chris Martin's ability to compose such beautiful melodies. It's one of the reasons why i love Coldplay so much. <3

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        79. Little Mix - Touch


                        By the first week of 2017 Touch had already enjoyed spending two non consecutive weeks at #1 following the release of Glory days. The song remained in my chart for a couple more weeks when Little Mix released the official music video for Touch.

                        In true JakeP style, the song received a nice little boost back into the top 5 thanks to the music video effect. The video itself wasn't quite what i expected for a song like this. I'm not entirely sure what i expected but the end result was a very colourful affair with some additional adjustments to make the girls look more slender. Just look at those slightly wobbly lines in the background where the photoshopping effects were applied.

                        Even though Touch had most of its impact in December 2016 its remained as a solid gold pop gem and one of my absolute favourite tracks from Glory days. <3

                        [youtube:q3b1j11h]gBAfejjUQoA[/youtube:q3b1j11h]

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          78. Julia Michaels - Issues


                          At the start of 2017, one song that was on the verge of becoming an international smash was Issues by Julia Michaels. I first came across the track on Spotify's chart and, because i didn't recognise the song, i decided to check it out on YouTube.

                          Issues is such an understated pop song, i adore the way the track was producted with minimal effect. A classic case of less is more in this instance. After becoming a successful songwriter for other artists, Issues allowed Julia to take centre stage for a change. Whilst Issues got to #6 in my chart it ended up becoming one of the longest running singles in my chart spending 9 weeks inside the top 20.

                          [youtube:hi8dcxf6]9Ke4480MicU[/youtube:hi8dcxf6]

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            77. Miley Cyrus - Younger know


                            Coming off the back of the incredibly successful Bangerz era in 2013, Miley Cyrus made a triumphant return to my chart in 2017. After making a spectacular comeback with the #1 hit Malibu, Miley scored a #3 hit when Younger now was released in August.

                            Younger now continued nicely with the country influences clearly evident in this gorgeous pop ballad. The music video is truly adorable, guaranteed to make me smile whenever i watch the clip. I love the puppet show scenes, the carnival theme and the 60s throwback with the Grease-esque showstopper towards the end of the video. Such a shame the song itself failed to generate much interest leading to a lack of worldwide chart success. :(

                            [youtube:y0udq230]-LX2kpeyp80[/youtube:y0udq230]

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              76. Kesha - This is me


                              Kesha's second appearance is the newest song to appear in my top 100 of 2017. This is me entered at #2 in my final chart of 2017 last weekend and lands at #76 here. I've been hearing rave reviews about The greatest showman and having checked out the film trailer recently, i'm considering going to see this at the cinema as it looks amazing.

                              Whilst i love Kesha's version of This is me, it's the original performance from Keala Settle that looks destined to become a big chart hit especially here in the UK over the coming weeks.

                              [youtube:1j7mf46t]XwDTzD75fT4[/youtube:1j7mf46t]

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                "Friends" is catchy, but not the best song Bieber has been involved with in 2017. "Too Good at Goodbyes" is a huge grower. I remember being really nonplussed by it the first time I played it, but after revisiting it a few times on my own, and hearing it in public places, it randomly connected with me one day. There are better songs on his recent album, though.

                                "Sign of the Times" is fantastic. It was just the debut I expected from him. Hmm..."How Far I'll Go" is a fantastic song...in the hands of Auli'i Cravalho! Alessia's version axes some of the magic for me.

                                "Touch" is good. I never enjoyed "Younger Now" much.
                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                  "Friends" is catchy, but not the best song Bieber has been involved with in 2017. "Too Good at Goodbyes" is a huge grower. I remember being really nonplussed by it the first time I played it, but after revisiting it a few times on my own, and hearing it in public places, it randomly connected with me one day. There are better songs on his recent album, though.

                                  "Sign of the Times" is fantastic. It was just the debut I expected from him. Hmm..."How Far I'll Go" is a fantastic song...in the hands of Auli'i Cravalho! Alessia's version axes some of the magic for me.

                                  "Touch" is good. I never enjoyed "Younger Now" much.
                                  Sorry still remains Justin Bieber's most successful single in my chart. He'll have to deliver an absolute diamond gem to better that song imo.

                                  I was pretty much the same with Too good at goodbyes although i thought the song was ok, but like yourself the song was quite the earworm and with repeated listens i slowly started to like the song more. Which album tracks from The thrill of it all do you like the most?

                                  I get the impression that Harry Styles' debut single was hyped so much, it actually feels like he peaked when Sign of the times topped the UK charts. Granted his album went to #1 but it just seems like his success rate has continued to decrease ever since. If Harry releases a brand new single at some point in 2018, that'll be the true test to see just how popular he is. Although i suspect Spotify will go all out to ensure as many people as possible stream a new Harry Styles song upon release.

                                  Ahh i remember you posted at the time how much you preferred Auli'i Cravalho's original version of How far i'll go but i loved the more pop natured version from Alessia.

                                  Touch is immense. Aww shame you don't like Miley's song. :(

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    Originally posted by JakeP
                                    Which album tracks from The thrill of it all do you like the most?
                                    For me, "Him," "Pray," "Midnight Train," and "Nothing Left for You" are stronger than "Too Good at Goodbyes".
                                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                      Originally posted by JakeP
                                      Which album tracks from The thrill of it all do you like the most?
                                      For me, "Him," "Pray," "Midnight Train," and "Nothing Left for You" are stronger than "Too Good at Goodbyes".
                                      I have to admit i wasn't particularly keen on Pray when i first heard the song, but i will check out those other recommendations.

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        75. Clean Bandit featuring Julia Michaels - I miss you


                                        Following the success of Issues (#78), Julia Michaels teamed up with Clean Bandit and scored her second hit single with I miss you.

                                        Clean Bandit, on the other hand, have been one of the most consistently successful acts in my personal chart since 2014. It was back in October when I miss you was released and initially the song failed to click with me and ignite much excitement. Following a string of instant pop bops, this time around Clean Bandit delivered a much more subtle affair. It took a period of weeks but eventually i found myself enjoying this track much more peaking at #6 in the process.

                                        [youtube:1bbrju7h]uZs1AHQBz24[/youtube:1bbrju7h]

                                        Comment


                                        • #80
                                          74. Shawn Hook featuring Vanessa Hudgens - Reminding me


                                          Up next at #74 it's a track i discovered via Tansike's personal chart. I didn't have a clue who Shawn Hook was but i recognised Vanessa Hudgen's name purely from the tv show Glee which i used to be obsessed with around 2010.

                                          When i checked out Reminding me i was impressed on first listen. There was something incredibly endearing about the track that led to me going back for repeated listens. My first reaction to the song was one of familiarity, i thought the song was a cover version. There is something distinctly familiar about the melody to the chorus but i gave us trying to work out which song Reminding me reminds me of (pun unintended ).

                                          Nonetheless i think this is a wonderful pop ballad and another of those tracks that could've become a big hit with the added exposure of radio airplay.

                                          [youtube:3llf3sm8]W5j3bSprL1k[/youtube:3llf3sm8]

                                          Comment


                                          • #81
                                            73. Vremya & Steklo - Na stile


                                            Sometimes i can listen to a song and end up loving it despite not understanding the lyrics, or in this case a couple of phrases.

                                            Ukrainian pop duo Vremya & Steklo were entered into the 118th FSC with the super catchy Na stile. Yes, the song is cheesy but its those very cheesy charms that won me over and i ended up awarding this track my 12 points.

                                            "mama i'm a star, i'm a super superstar" remains one of the most infectious earworms from 2017.

                                            [youtube:2et9j2ij]tJ7JcweIOZ4[/youtube:2et9j2ij]

                                            Comment


                                            • #82
                                              72. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves


                                              2017 was an extraordinary year for both Selena Gomez and Marshmello whose collaborative effort Wolves lands the #72 spot here.

                                              Selena Gomez seriously hit the ground running releasing a string of hit singles that, by 2017's standards, pushed the boundaries of pop music. On the flip side, Marshmello also found global commercial chart success that helped lead to the release of Wolves. Peaking at #5, whilst the production on this track remained typically Marshmello by numbers it was Selena Gomez who brought the vocals, sounding so much stronger on this track compared to Bad liar which remains quite insipid, imo, by comparison.

                                              This is the first of three appearances for Selena, and the first of two appearances for Marshmello thus proving just how much of a powerful dominant force they have been over the last twelve months.

                                              [youtube:383vqky8]cH4E_t3m3xM[/youtube:383vqky8]

                                              Comment


                                              • #83
                                                71. Zara Larsson featuring Nena - Only you


                                                Ever since the success of Lush life in 2015, i've found the career of Zara Larsson to be one of immense inconsistency. It felt like for every track i loved, there was another i thought was borderline ok or just not worth repeated listens. Thankfully for the swedish starlet, 2017 ended up being much more successful than it originally looked this time a year ago.

                                                Following the release of Zara's eagerly anticipated debut album So good there was only a small selection of songs that sounded promising based on the iTunes previews.

                                                Only you was one of those album tracks that failed to click with me. However, that all changed in October when Zara collaborated with German iconic goddess Nena to re-record this track complete with a whole new arrangement. Well, talk about a transformation. Only you suddenly changed from "meh" album track, to an outstanding gorgeous power ballad complete with a blissful symphonic orchestra that only further emphasises the dramatic nature of this revamped version.

                                                Only you shot to #2 in my chart following the release of this new recording giving Nena her first ever hit in my chart (even though i love 99 red balloons ) whilst providing Zara with her second top 5 hit of the year.

                                                [youtube:dn1um0zm]jojAk-wMa5Y[/youtube:dn1um0zm]

                                                Comment


                                                • #84
                                                  70. London Grammar - Truth is a beautiful thing


                                                  London Grammar get their second appearance at #70 with the spine tinglingly gorgeous ballad Truth is a beautiful thing.

                                                  The title track from the bands second album, Truth is a beautiful thing got to #3 in my chart after having such a tremendous impact on me upon that very first listen. The eerie haunting synths and the delicate piano melody gave me goosebumps within the first 30 seconds. <3 Again, Hannah's vocals shine brightly over the backing music creating one of the most stunningly beautiful songs i'd heard all year.

                                                  The song is so captivating that i become so drawn into the song and forget that the song is actually over 5 minutes long. It seems much shorter in length when i go into reflective mode whilst listening to this gem.

                                                  [youtube:1txxoezz]UPcPtd3k-Qg[/youtube:1txxoezz]

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #85
                                                    Re: JakeP Top 100 of 2017

                                                    Selena's vocals are indeed wispy on her more sensual tracks, but "Wolves" was a far more straightforward vocal performance from her, and I enjoyed it immensely more than I typically do her material.
                                                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #86
                                                      88. Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be
                                                      87. Sam Smith - Too good at goodbyes
                                                      85. Kodaline - Brother
                                                      82. Harry Styles - Sign of the times
                                                      79. Little Mix - Touch
                                                      77. Miley Cyrus - Younger know
                                                      75. Clean Bandit featuring Julia Michaels - I miss you
                                                      74. Shawn Hook featuring Vanessa Hudgens - Reminding me
                                                      72. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves
                                                      71. Zara Larsson featuring Nena - Only you
                                                      70. London Grammar - Truth is a beautiful thing

                                                      Some fantastic tunes here!
                                                      "Meant To Be" is such a surprising collaboration, but it really worked so well. Glad it's a hit for Bebe!
                                                      "Too Good At Goodbyes" was a weird one for me. Sometimes i love it, sometimes i think it's boring... but i'm still playing it now and then so it definitely have some legs with me.
                                                      Oh, what a surprise to see "Brother" on your list I'm hearing this a lot lately as the band of my partner is doing a cover for it, and they just did the video shoot lately. I know Kodaline but didn't know this song before, it's very lovely (and to my own surprise, it actually made the official Top20 here in Switzerland )
                                                      Expected a better placement for "Touch"...
                                                      Funny how most people thought "I Miss You" was a grower for them... and it's been the same for me. Now i would rank it as their second best song ever!
                                                      Yay for "Reminding Me", nice tune. Didn't know Vanessa was on Glee though, i only remember her from High School Musical
                                                      "Wolves" is good, though not as strong as most other Selena songs.
                                                      "Only You" is amazing, love the video you've posted. Never expected Nena to sound that good live!

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #87
                                                        Re: JakeP Top 100 of 2017

                                                        73. Vremya & Steklo - Na stile

                                                        Dang it, this was all over the radio/TV/lots of parodies as well in Belarus and post-Soviet countries.
                                                        I kinda hate it, but fair play to them, it is indeed an earworm.
                                                        Waffles are checked cookies

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #88
                                                          Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                                          Selena's vocals are indeed wispy on her more sensual tracks, but "Wolves" was a far more straightforward vocal performance from her, and I enjoyed it immensely more than I typically do her material.
                                                          To be honest it was only Bad liar that i found quite disappointing, even though the song still managed to achieve one week at #20. I just struggled to really get into that song.

                                                          Whereas i understood the wispy vocals on Fetish because it worked so well with that backing music. A very dreamy atmospheric song.

                                                          When you think about her 3 singles from 2017, i can imagine Selena's new album to have a considerable amount of success.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #89
                                                            Originally posted by Tansike
                                                            88. Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be
                                                            87. Sam Smith - Too good at goodbyes
                                                            85. Kodaline - Brother
                                                            82. Harry Styles - Sign of the times
                                                            79. Little Mix - Touch
                                                            77. Miley Cyrus - Younger know
                                                            75. Clean Bandit featuring Julia Michaels - I miss you
                                                            74. Shawn Hook featuring Vanessa Hudgens - Reminding me
                                                            72. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves
                                                            71. Zara Larsson featuring Nena - Only you
                                                            70. London Grammar - Truth is a beautiful thing

                                                            Some fantastic tunes here!
                                                            "Meant To Be" is such a surprising collaboration, but it really worked so well. Glad it's a hit for Bebe!
                                                            "Too Good At Goodbyes" was a weird one for me. Sometimes i love it, sometimes i think it's boring... but i'm still playing it now and then so it definitely have some legs with me.
                                                            Oh, what a surprise to see "Brother" on your list I'm hearing this a lot lately as the band of my partner is doing a cover for it, and they just did the video shoot lately. I know Kodaline but didn't know this song before, it's very lovely (and to my own surprise, it actually made the official Top20 here in Switzerland )
                                                            Expected a better placement for "Touch"...
                                                            Funny how most people thought "I Miss You" was a grower for them... and it's been the same for me. Now i would rank it as their second best song ever!
                                                            Yay for "Reminding Me", nice tune. Didn't know Vanessa was on Glee though, i only remember her from High School Musical
                                                            "Wolves" is good, though not as strong as most other Selena songs.
                                                            "Only You" is amazing, love the video you've posted. Never expected Nena to sound that good live!
                                                            Thanks Tansike

                                                            Meant to be is a great track but one that i didn't contemplate checking out initially. Australia is the reason why i became curious when the song took off there.

                                                            Too good at goodbyes was definitely a grower. I sort of categorise these types of songs as intriguing more than anything else. When i listen i know i don't hate the song but i'm feel compelled to give repeat listens. Hence whenever a song climbs to its peak that's pretty much a defining grower.

                                                            OMG! I'm somewhat surprised to learn that Kodaline made the swiss top 20. That's incredible, such a shame that couldn't have happened in the UK. Did Brother get much airplay in Switzerland?

                                                            LOL as i wrote in my commentary, Touch received most of its success in December 2016. By the time 2017 started, my attention moved onto the new songs coming out, and it was only when the music video was released that Touch got its boost.

                                                            Clean Bandit delivered three instant bops that i loved on first listen. I remember reading about Rockabye and sighing at the prospect of Sean Paul doing his rap/sing thing, but it turned out to be another amazing single. So i guess i had a lot of expectations for I miss you so when i first listened to the song, my initially reaction was more "oh, not what i was expecting but we'll see how it fares this week", and a few weeks later it peaked so it actually did pretty impressively to remain consistent in my chart.

                                                            Ohh maybe i'm getting mixed up. I was thinking of Glee for some reason but perhaps its because they're quite similar.

                                                            Funnily enough Selena had more success in my chart in 2017 compared to previous years. Even Hands to myself surprisingly didn't perform as strongly in my chart as Wolves and yet i'd personally say they're about as good as each other. Selena just happened to own it in 2017, a case of right place right time.

                                                            The Zara & Nena version of Only you is far superior to the original which just lacked any spark to make the track come to life for me. I adore the new arrangement that brings out the emotion of the song so much more strongly.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #90
                                                              Originally posted by heppolo
                                                              73. Vremya & Steklo - Na stile

                                                              Dang it, this was all over the radio/TV/lots of parodies as well in Belarus and post-Soviet countries.
                                                              I kinda hate it, but fair play to them, it is indeed an earworm.
                                                              Which country do you live?

                                                              I know Na stile is so eurodance like those big europe hits from the 90s but this is what i love about this song. If this song was in english and had been released in the UK in 2010 it probably would've been a #1.

                                                              Comment

                                                              Working...
                                                              X