Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles - TOP 5 - #3-1 (#1 Revealed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[center:184q9ltm]67. Kiesza vs Malinchak - Mother

[youtube:184q9ltm]dob-nPMsbF0[/youtube:184q9ltm]

Another random release from another has-been. But in all seriousness, I really wasn't expecting that from Kiesza, and it's a cool and catchy song with a melody that sounds quite familiar, but not sure how. I wish these flop acts would get their comeback chance they deserve. [/center:184q9ltm]
    last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #70-67

Cher's single is really cool, it's a shame she is past her hit by date.
      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Dua, Toni, Janelle, J.Lo and Becky G! This is off to a good start
        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Such a wonderful Cher's comeback, I hope she'll release similar singles in the near future. I saw it in another chart in this section, this is good.
          Summer top 10 - 03.07.2020.

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
            Cher's single is really cool, it's a shame she is past her hit by date.
            Originally posted by Top10
            Such a wonderful Cher's comeback, I hope she'll release similar singles in the near future. I saw it in another chart in this section, this is good.
            Agreed, it's a good comeback for her!

Originally posted by Benjamin
            Dua, Toni, Janelle, J.Lo and Becky G! This is off to a good start
            Thanks, hope you stick around for more
            last.fm

Comment

[center:30s3n2wq]66. Shakira ft. Maluma - Trap

[youtube:30s3n2wq]zkG4Xpz6t68[/youtube:30s3n2wq]

Shakira and Maluma made another great song this year, this time a more sensual and delicate song. Love the trap beat, the gentleness and sensuality of the whole song, and of course Maluma is just super gorgeous as usual. [/center:30s3n2wq]
              last.fm

Comment

[center:s27ea846]65. Chloe x Halle - The Kids Are Alright

[youtube:s27ea846]jsnyz__pc5M[/youtube:s27ea846]

These two girls are just mindblowing - their vocals, their style, they're just so talented and refreshing. This song is definitely a weird choice for a single, doesn't really have a typical pop structure, but it's interesting and unique. [/center:s27ea846]
                last.fm

Comment

[center:328kzblc]64. India.Arie - That Magic

[youtube:328kzblc]wwds59Ozo50[/youtube:328kzblc]

India.Arie also makes a comeback! The song is a sweet love song with a catchy groove and positive mood. Nothing mindblowing, but it doesn't have to be - it's great for what it is. Definitely an enjoyable tune to play. [/center:328kzblc]
                  last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #66-64

I didnít think ratchet Shakira would translate that well, but issa bop!
                    Originally posted by beredy
                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Yay for 'Trap'
                      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

"Make Me Feel" is great; it should definitely be higher. "Ganja Burn" is also pretty great, definitely among the best things Onika did this year.

I ranked "Trap" similarly. For me, it's definitely their best song as a pair.
                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

My favourites so far:

Dua Lipa - IDGAF
                          Toni Braxton - Long As I Live
                          Janelle Monae - Make Me Feel
                          Nicki Minaj - Ganja Burn
                          Chloe x Halle - The Kids Are Alright

Whilst Nicki Minaj has been super annoying this year, I have to credit her with the release of 'Queen' which was a good album. 'Ganja Burn' is one of my favourites from the album, so good choice!
                          Love Janelle and Chloe x Halle!

Comment

Everything Chloe x Halle have released has been a massive grower for me, their talent is undeniable. Also love the Grimes, Janelle and Nicki songs, while IDGAF is a major bop (it's all about the refrain after the second chorus).

I didn't pay enough attention to that Shakira song this year - maybe that's because the album campaign started so long ago. Nevertheless, Trap is a great song. The Toni Braxton song is also cute, while I would enjoy that Azealia song if it was properly mixed or mastered.

Didn't release that Jlo track was released this year. I've been so unimpressed with her output recently I mustn't have bothered.
                            late.

Comment

That Kiesza vs Malinchak song was so random and quirky but I loved it for a short time.
                              THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

[center:39ngfb48]63. Mariah Carey - GTFO

[youtube:39ngfb48]hsevTQ0Db1Y[/youtube:39ngfb48]

This song is so atmospheric and smooth. Didn't expect this from Mariah, but even though it's kinda different for her, it's also very Mariah and captures her style so well. The line "How 'Bout You GTFO" could easily be a classic. [/center:39ngfb48]
                                last.fm

Comment

[center:3pe0an47]62. Billie Eilish - When the Party's Over

[youtube:3pe0an47]pbMwTqkKSps[/youtube:3pe0an47]

Not really a fan of Billie Eilish - she's not bad, but kinda verges on Halsey for me. I think I'd LOVE her in my teens. Anyhow, this song is haunting and gorgeous. She doesn't do vocal acrobatics or anything, everything is so simple, but strong. The video is equally good. She's a talented girl no doubt.[/center:3pe0an47]
                                  last.fm

Comment

[center:1isspqjs]61. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex

[youtube:1isspqjs]1uFv9Ts7Sdw[/youtube:1isspqjs]

Lana again shows growth and evolution with this new lead single that harks back to great songwriters such as Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan. Here, she takes on a new, more dominant role in the lyrics and the chorus is simply stunning. I don't play it as much as her other songs, and I find the verses too Dylan-y for my taste, but the chorus makes up for it all.[/center:1isspqjs]
                                    last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmoney
                                      I didnít think ratchet Shakira would translate that well, but issa bop!
                                      Originally posted by Benjamin
                                      Yay for 'Trap'
                                      Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                      "Make Me Feel" is great; it should definitely be higher. "Ganja Burn" is also pretty great, definitely among the best things Onika did this year.

I ranked "Trap" similarly. For me, it's definitely their best song as a pair.
                                      agreed with all. Nice to see Trap appreciated here even though it wasn't that big
                                      last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by UKMusicLova
                                        Love Janelle and Chloe x Halle!
                                        Originally posted by urbanmusik
                                        Everything Chloe x Halle have released has been a massive grower for me, their talent is undeniable.
                                        Yeah, for some reason I haven't been paying attention to them, even though most of what I did hear from them, I really enjoyed.

Originally posted by Thriller
                                        That Kiesza vs Malinchak song was so random and quirky but I loved it for a short time.
                                        Yes! she could release an album in this vein, would love that
                                        last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #63-61

I kinda feel the same as you do about Billie, that maybe I'd enjoy her more in another time and place? I kinda liked lovely with Khalid, but I haven't been able to get into this one... worth giving another go I guess?

Comment

Hmm...I think you like "GTFO" more than I do. "When the Party's Over" isn't completely unspectacular, but I think it's a tad overrated. It grew on me a bit, though. "Mariners Apartment Complex" is lovely!
                                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #63-61

Kween

Although personally I donít feel GTFO is all that. I hope to see Wit U or The Distance soon.
                                              Originally posted by beredy
                                              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Forgot to comment on Neneh Cherry earlier, agree with what you said on that song. Birthing Mabel makes her even cooler.

GTFO was a poor single from Mariah, but I really enjoy listening to it when I play the album through in full. Billie Eilish is a major tryhard on social media, but weren't we all at 15? Thankfully the music is a lot better than Halsey. Love that Lana song too, it reminds me of Mazzy Star.
                                                late.

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
                                                  I kinda feel the same as you do about Billie, that maybe I'd enjoy her more in another time and place? I kinda liked lovely with Khalid, but I haven't been able to get into this one... worth giving another go I guess?
                                                  yeah, I think Billie is more for a teen audience, but I do think she could evolve into someone really cool as she grows up

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                                  Hmm...I think you like "GTFO" more than I do. "When the Party's Over" isn't completely unspectacular, but I think it's a tad overrated. It grew on me a bit, though. "Mariners Apartment Complex" is lovely!
                                                  Originally posted by Goldmoney
                                                  Kween

Although personally I donít feel GTFO is all that. I hope to see Wit U or The Distance soon.
                                                  Originally posted by urbanmusik
                                                  Forgot to comment on Neneh Cherry earlier, agree with what you said on that song. Birthing Mabel makes her even cooler.

GTFO was a poor single from Mariah, but I really enjoy listening to it when I play the album through in full. Billie Eilish is a major tryhard on social media, but weren't we all at 15? Thankfully the music is a lot better than Halsey. Love that Lana song too, it reminds me of Mazzy Star.
                                                  Omg at the hate for GTFO from y'all I think it's one of her career best!

Agreed about the Lana-Mazzy Star comparison, would never have thought of it, but it's accurate.
                                                  last.fm

Comment

[center:21nx9paf]60. Mō, Diplo - Sun in Our Eyes

[youtube:21nx9paf]GbhCRL0vCj8[/youtube:21nx9paf]

Mō really hasn't wowed me that much with all her releases lately, but this was solid. Have to admit it grew off me already and I'm not fussed when I play it now, but I did play it a lot this summer and that's why I'm placing it over some other songs that I'm maybe enjoying more at the moment. It's a cute summer song overall![/center:21nx9paf]
                                                    last.fm

Comment

[center:6se718xr]59. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

[youtube:6se718xr]kHLHSlExFis[/youtube:6se718xr]

Ariana is on fire this year, and she has released some of her best songs to date all in one year! The first to fall is the sensual and mystical God Is a Woman, mainly because for some reason I don't play it that much. Objectively, it's a cool pop song where she showcases her talent, but also her evolution from her early days and songs like Problem, which feel so different from her now.[/center:6se718xr]
                                                      last.fm

Comment

[center:3umorf63]58. Little Dragon - Lover Chanting

[youtube:3umorf63]yiSTcdi82S0[/youtube:3umorf63]

No one is probably gonna know or listen to this one, I have a feeling. Y'all should! Not only does it have an interesting video, but it's so catchy and upbeat! I liked some Litle Dragon years ago in high school, but lost interest as years went on. Came across this randomly on YT and loved it instantly.[/center:3umorf63]
                                                        last.fm

Comment

[center:1utowza5]57. MGMT - When You Die

[youtube:1utowza5]tmozGmGoJuw[/youtube:1utowza5]

MGMT really impressed me this year with their stuff. I don't really know how to describe this song as it's quite weird. Lots of acoustic guitar, but also many layers of production, catchy yet weird melody, bizarre (but great) lyrics... Y'all should just play it and see for yourself. [/center:1utowza5]
                                                          last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #60-57

The Lana one really grew on me over such a long time.
                                                            THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #60-57

God Is A Woman is definitely for me the best thing Ari released this year, so we slightly disagree but good to see it here. I enjoyed Sun In Our Eyes too, seeing Mō at a festival this year I was really impressed with her, I didn't know half the set but she performed the hell out of it, and that's when I heard and got into this song. Hit!

Comment

Working...
                                                              X