Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles - TOP 5 - #3-1 (#1 Revealed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm...I think you like "GTFO" more than I do. "When the Party's Over" isn't completely unspectacular, but I think it's a tad overrated. It grew on me a bit, though. "Mariners Apartment Complex" is lovely!
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #63-61

Kween

Although personally I donít feel GTFO is all that. I hope to see Wit U or The Distance soon.
      Originally posted by beredy
      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Forgot to comment on Neneh Cherry earlier, agree with what you said on that song. Birthing Mabel makes her even cooler.

GTFO was a poor single from Mariah, but I really enjoy listening to it when I play the album through in full. Billie Eilish is a major tryhard on social media, but weren't we all at 15? Thankfully the music is a lot better than Halsey. Love that Lana song too, it reminds me of Mazzy Star.
        late.

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
          I kinda feel the same as you do about Billie, that maybe I'd enjoy her more in another time and place? I kinda liked lovely with Khalid, but I haven't been able to get into this one... worth giving another go I guess?
          yeah, I think Billie is more for a teen audience, but I do think she could evolve into someone really cool as she grows up

Originally posted by JSparksFan
          Hmm...I think you like "GTFO" more than I do. "When the Party's Over" isn't completely unspectacular, but I think it's a tad overrated. It grew on me a bit, though. "Mariners Apartment Complex" is lovely!
          Originally posted by Goldmoney
          Kween

Although personally I donít feel GTFO is all that. I hope to see Wit U or The Distance soon.
          Originally posted by urbanmusik
          Forgot to comment on Neneh Cherry earlier, agree with what you said on that song. Birthing Mabel makes her even cooler.

GTFO was a poor single from Mariah, but I really enjoy listening to it when I play the album through in full. Billie Eilish is a major tryhard on social media, but weren't we all at 15? Thankfully the music is a lot better than Halsey. Love that Lana song too, it reminds me of Mazzy Star.
          Omg at the hate for GTFO from y'all I think it's one of her career best!

Agreed about the Lana-Mazzy Star comparison, would never have thought of it, but it's accurate.
          last.fm

Comment

[center:21nx9paf]60. Mō, Diplo - Sun in Our Eyes

[youtube:21nx9paf]GbhCRL0vCj8[/youtube:21nx9paf]

Mō really hasn't wowed me that much with all her releases lately, but this was solid. Have to admit it grew off me already and I'm not fussed when I play it now, but I did play it a lot this summer and that's why I'm placing it over some other songs that I'm maybe enjoying more at the moment. It's a cute summer song overall![/center:21nx9paf]
            last.fm

Comment

[center:6se718xr]59. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

[youtube:6se718xr]kHLHSlExFis[/youtube:6se718xr]

Ariana is on fire this year, and she has released some of her best songs to date all in one year! The first to fall is the sensual and mystical God Is a Woman, mainly because for some reason I don't play it that much. Objectively, it's a cool pop song where she showcases her talent, but also her evolution from her early days and songs like Problem, which feel so different from her now.[/center:6se718xr]
              last.fm

Comment

[center:3umorf63]58. Little Dragon - Lover Chanting

[youtube:3umorf63]yiSTcdi82S0[/youtube:3umorf63]

No one is probably gonna know or listen to this one, I have a feeling. Y'all should! Not only does it have an interesting video, but it's so catchy and upbeat! I liked some Litle Dragon years ago in high school, but lost interest as years went on. Came across this randomly on YT and loved it instantly.[/center:3umorf63]
                last.fm

Comment

[center:1utowza5]57. MGMT - When You Die

[youtube:1utowza5]tmozGmGoJuw[/youtube:1utowza5]

MGMT really impressed me this year with their stuff. I don't really know how to describe this song as it's quite weird. Lots of acoustic guitar, but also many layers of production, catchy yet weird melody, bizarre (but great) lyrics... Y'all should just play it and see for yourself. [/center:1utowza5]
                  last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #60-57

The Lana one really grew on me over such a long time.

Comment

God Is A Woman is definitely for me the best thing Ari released this year, so we slightly disagree but good to see it here. I enjoyed Sun In Our Eyes too, seeing Mō at a festival this year I was really impressed with her, I didn't know half the set but she performed the hell out of it, and that's when I heard and got into this song. Hit!
                      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

"God Is a Woman" is a bit low! I would run out of superlatives in my attempt to express my love for it.

Comment

'GTFO' grew on me big time. Good song. Smooth bop
                          Yay for 'Mariner Apartment Complex' and 'God Is A Woman' <3
                          Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

I checked out Little Dragon since you charted Kween - I donít know ha but itís catchy and the instrumental reminds me of Adam Lambertís Ghosttown.
                            Originally posted by beredy
                            When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Time to finally catch up!

80. Dua Lipa - IDGAF
                              74. Grimes - We Appreciate Power
                              72. Janelle MonŠe Ė Make Me Feel
                              69. Nicki Minaj - Ganja Burn
                              63. Mariah Carey - GTFO
                              62. Billie Eilish - When the Party's Over
                              61. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
                              60. Mō, Diplo - Sun in Our Eyes
                              59. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

Really like these on your countdown so far, with "God Is A Woman" being my clear fave of the bunch. Such a stunning pop track. You're teasing at least one other on your countdown so I cross my fingers for "No Tears" to appear VERY high
                              Grimes' one didn't click with me at first and I have to admit I was disappointed, but it turned out as a huge grower and I'm really loving it now. Will probably make a big impact on me in 2019.

Nicki's one is good, so are the ones for Mō and Lana, though I think both could do much better.

Comment

Mariah Carey - GTFO
                                Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
                                Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
                                Ariana Grande - God is a woman

Love all four of the above songs. 'God is a woman' will go down as a classic, the song and video are both 10/10. Billie Eilish has been one of my favourite artists of 2018, she is so exciting!

Comment

thanks for the comments everyone! nicr to see love for the Lana, Billie, Mariah and Ariana songs! yeah I'm aware GIAW seems a bit low, but I did like it! there will be more Ariana in the countdown for sure.

Originally posted by Goldmoney
                                  I checked out Little Dragon since you charted Kween - I donít know ha but itís catchy and the instrumental reminds me of Adam Lambertís Ghosttown.
                                  Thanks for checking it out and glad you discovered something you like
                                  last.fm

Comment

[center:ej7besae]56. Florence + The Machine - Sky Full of Song

[youtube:ej7besae]R1TSiB9OuVM[/youtube:ej7besae]

Even though I&#39;ve given up long ago that I would ever have the same love for Florence&#39;s music as I did back in high school during her first (and partially her second) era, I still check out her new stuff every now and then. This one really showcases the gentleness in her voice, and it&#39;s the simplicity and lack of drama in this song that I prefer to some of F+TM&#39;s past songs.[/center:ej7besae]
                                    last.fm

Comment

[center:5owsgond]55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros

[youtube:5owsgond]5sQzEib6hOA[/youtube:5owsgond]

Little Boots&#39; latest EP features her music at its most electronic! This one in particular is also quite catchy and channels Kylie Minogue at her dance peak. I did overplay it, so it doesn&#39;t chart too high, but honestly at this point in the countdown, it&#39;s hard to rank any song because I enjoyed them all. It&#39;s quite accessible and I think pop/dance music fans should give it a try. [/center:5owsgond]
                                      last.fm

Comment

[center:2lsjqx0i]54. Mō - Nostalgia

[youtube:2lsjqx0i]CPTrsgq-1HE[/youtube:2lsjqx0i]

I initially didn&#39;t care for this one, but it grew on me and now I consider it the highlight of her new album. That said, the album is quite unimpressive, so being the highlight is not that hard. I do think it has its qualities, most notably the whole atmosphere of the song that really fits the song&#39;s title. The lyrics give you that feeling of nostagia for the youth, the verses transport you to that place of childlike adventures and innocence, and the chorus makes you a bit sad and comforts you.[/center:2lsjqx0i]
                                        last.fm

Comment

[center:1zpony4j]53. Dido - Hurricanes

[youtube:1zpony4j]-mfladpK0AA[/youtube:1zpony4j]

This was such a nice surprise from Dido. It&#39;s very classic Dido, her vocals backed by guitar make for a cosy musical blanket, and when I first heard it, it felt like hearing an old friend in a way. I think Dido&#39;s music in general is quite timeless and I like that she doesn&#39;t need to change up her style that much as she has this stunning trademark sound that gives you the feels.[/center:1zpony4j]
                                          last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #56-53

Considering "Delilah" was my #2 song of 2015, I really had high expectations for Florence + the Machine this era, and was grossly disappointed. "Sky Full of Song" is decent, though.

Comment

Mō and Dido both have great offerings there.

Comment

55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros
                                                I like this one, a bit similar to Roisin Murphy music
                                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

'A Sky Full Of Song' is beautiful. A shame it wasn't a bigger hit for Florence.
                                                  'Hurricanes' is great. Can't wait for Dido's new album.
                                                  Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

56. Florence + The Machine - Sky Full of Song
                                                    54. Mō - Nostalgia

Really enjoy these two. 2018 has been the first time I actually got into Florence with "A Sky Full Of Song" being one of the reasons for that.
                                                    "Nostalgia" is good but I agree that the album was quite disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X