Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles - TOP 5 - #3-1 (#1 Revealed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #60-57

"God Is a Woman" is a bit low! I would run out of superlatives in my attempt to express my love for it.
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #60-57

'GTFO' grew on me big time. Good song. Smooth bop
      Yay for 'Mariner Apartment Complex' and 'God Is A Woman' <3
      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

I checked out Little Dragon since you charted Kween - I don’t know ha but it’s catchy and the instrumental reminds me of Adam Lambert’s Ghosttown.
        Originally posted by beredy
        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Time to finally catch up!

80. Dua Lipa - IDGAF
          74. Grimes - We Appreciate Power
          72. Janelle Monáe – Make Me Feel
          69. Nicki Minaj - Ganja Burn
          63. Mariah Carey - GTFO
          62. Billie Eilish - When the Party's Over
          61. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
          60. MØ, Diplo - Sun in Our Eyes
          59. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

Really like these on your countdown so far, with "God Is A Woman" being my clear fave of the bunch. Such a stunning pop track. You're teasing at least one other on your countdown so I cross my fingers for "No Tears" to appear VERY high
          Grimes' one didn't click with me at first and I have to admit I was disappointed, but it turned out as a huge grower and I'm really loving it now. Will probably make a big impact on me in 2019.

Nicki's one is good, so are the ones for MØ and Lana, though I think both could do much better.

Comment

Mariah Carey - GTFO
            Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
            Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
            Ariana Grande - God is a woman

Love all four of the above songs. 'God is a woman' will go down as a classic, the song and video are both 10/10. Billie Eilish has been one of my favourite artists of 2018, she is so exciting!

Comment

thanks for the comments everyone! nicr to see love for the Lana, Billie, Mariah and Ariana songs! yeah I'm aware GIAW seems a bit low, but I did like it! there will be more Ariana in the countdown for sure.

Originally posted by Goldmoney
              I checked out Little Dragon since you charted Kween - I don’t know ha but it’s catchy and the instrumental reminds me of Adam Lambert’s Ghosttown.
              Thanks for checking it out and glad you discovered something you like
              last.fm

Comment

[center:ej7besae]56. Florence + The Machine - Sky Full of Song

[youtube:ej7besae]R1TSiB9OuVM[/youtube:ej7besae]

Even though I&#39;ve given up long ago that I would ever have the same love for Florence&#39;s music as I did back in high school during her first (and partially her second) era, I still check out her new stuff every now and then. This one really showcases the gentleness in her voice, and it&#39;s the simplicity and lack of drama in this song that I prefer to some of F+TM&#39;s past songs.[/center:ej7besae]
                last.fm

Comment

[center:5owsgond]55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros

[youtube:5owsgond]5sQzEib6hOA[/youtube:5owsgond]

Little Boots&#39; latest EP features her music at its most electronic! This one in particular is also quite catchy and channels Kylie Minogue at her dance peak. I did overplay it, so it doesn&#39;t chart too high, but honestly at this point in the countdown, it&#39;s hard to rank any song because I enjoyed them all. It&#39;s quite accessible and I think pop/dance music fans should give it a try. [/center:5owsgond]
                  last.fm

Comment

[center:2lsjqx0i]54. MØ - Nostalgia

[youtube:2lsjqx0i]CPTrsgq-1HE[/youtube:2lsjqx0i]

I initially didn&#39;t care for this one, but it grew on me and now I consider it the highlight of her new album. That said, the album is quite unimpressive, so being the highlight is not that hard. I do think it has its qualities, most notably the whole atmosphere of the song that really fits the song&#39;s title. The lyrics give you that feeling of nostagia for the youth, the verses transport you to that place of childlike adventures and innocence, and the chorus makes you a bit sad and comforts you.[/center:2lsjqx0i]
                    last.fm

Comment

[center:1zpony4j]53. Dido - Hurricanes

[youtube:1zpony4j]-mfladpK0AA[/youtube:1zpony4j]

This was such a nice surprise from Dido. It&#39;s very classic Dido, her vocals backed by guitar make for a cosy musical blanket, and when I first heard it, it felt like hearing an old friend in a way. I think Dido&#39;s music in general is quite timeless and I like that she doesn&#39;t need to change up her style that much as she has this stunning trademark sound that gives you the feels.[/center:1zpony4j]
                      last.fm

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #56-53

Considering "Delilah" was my #2 song of 2015, I really had high expectations for Florence + the Machine this era, and was grossly disappointed. "Sky Full of Song" is decent, though.

Comment

MØ and Dido both have great offerings there.
                          THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros
                            I like this one, a bit similar to Roisin Murphy music
                            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

'A Sky Full Of Song' is beautiful. A shame it wasn't a bigger hit for Florence.
                              'Hurricanes' is great. Can't wait for Dido's new album.
                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

56. Florence + The Machine - Sky Full of Song
                                54. MØ - Nostalgia

Really enjoy these two. 2018 has been the first time I actually got into Florence with "A Sky Full Of Song" being one of the reasons for that.
                                "Nostalgia" is good but I agree that the album was quite disappointing.

Comment

57. MGMT - When You Die
                                  63. Mariah Carey - GTFO
                                  I'm happy to agree that MGMT have been releasing bangers after bangers. Though they seem to leaning more towards an Empire of the Sun vibe.

While I don't think God is a Woman is Ari's strongest release, it is still a solid song.

+ Love the GTFO entry (very unexpected I feel for you).
                                  Originally posted by SummerPeur
                                  Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
                                  Originally posted by Goldmoney
                                  So does her microphone

Comment

I do like Florence but I feel like she had stronger, even this year! Same with MØ actually
                                    Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                      Considering "Delilah" was my #2 song of 2015, I really had high expectations for Florence + the Machine this era, and was grossly disappointed. "Sky Full of Song" is decent, though.
                                      Ha, for me it was the opposite. Had zero expectations and wasn't a fan of the previous era, but I was positively surprised by two of her latest singles.

Originally posted by Thriller
                                      MØ and Dido both have great offerings there.
                                      Originally posted by Benjamin
                                      'A Sky Full Of Song' is beautiful. A shame it wasn't a bigger hit for Florence.
                                      'Hurricanes' is great. Can't wait for Dido's new album.
                                      Agreed with both comments on Dido.
                                      @Thriller - Nostalgia is good, but MO was much better a few years back sadly.
                                      @Ben, I think that ASFS was more of a buzz song not meant to be a hit, so I wasnt surprised. I was quite shocked that Hunger flopped, though.

Originally posted by heppolo
                                      55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros
                                      I like this one, a bit similar to Roisin Murphy music
                                      It is! I think she has a long way before reaching Roisin's brilliance, but I like the direction she's heading in.
                                      last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike
                                        54. MØ - Nostalgia

Really enjoy these two. 2018 has been the first time I actually got into Florence with "A Sky Full Of Song" being one of the reasons for that.
                                        "Nostalgia" is good but I agree that the album was quite disappointing.
                                        Odd that this was the first song that got you into Florence, I'd have thought her previous stuff was up your alley as well, especially Ceremonials.

Originally posted by SummerPeur
                                        57. MGMT - When You Die
                                        63. Mariah Carey - GTFO
                                        I'm happy to agree that MGMT have been releasing bangers after bangers. Though they seem to leaning more towards an Empire of the Sun vibe.

While I don't think God is a Woman is Ari's strongest release, it is still a solid song.

+ Love the GTFO entry (very unexpected I feel for you).
                                        So nice to see you enjoy MGMT, kinda unexpected I agree about the comparison with Empire, but I still think they're a bit better and more complex (with no shade towards EOTS - I like them too, I just think their music is more commercial/pop)

And at this point, GTFO is not that surprising for me, I've been known to love random Mariah songs here and there this reminds me of Obsessed somehow, maybe the bitchy lyrics, which is also why I like it so much

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
                                        I do like Florence but I feel like she had stronger, even this year! Same with MØ actually
                                        Both have had stronger in the past, but both did better here than with some other "new" songs
                                        last.fm

Comment

[center:bkxqemlu]52. Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

[youtube:bkxqemlu]XCQK6LmhYqc[/youtube:bkxqemlu]

Rita has been serving bops this last era! After the misstep that was Girls, she fortunately came back nicely with this one. As usual with Rita, it doesn&#39;t really offer anything new to the table, and it&#39;s pop by the numbers, but it&#39;s irresistibly well crafted. Will it stand the test of time and be remembered for years to come? Probably not. Can I bop to it now? Yes. [/center:bkxqemlu]
                                          last.fm

Comment

[center:2lpyejiz]51. Lissie - Best Days

[youtube:2lpyejiz]bF8ypmqNMFk[/youtube:2lpyejiz]

Another nice folk-pop song by Lissie. It&#39;s nothing too special, and Lissie has had much better and mindblowing, but it&#39;s a pretty solid song that I can envision played on the radio in a chill cafe bar. It also plays nicely in a car, has a nice roadtrip vibe. Her voice is always so powerful and emotional.[/center:2lpyejiz]
                                            last.fm

Comment

'Let Me Love You' is a bop. Rita is really delivering it with her latest album.
                                              Glad to see Lissie on your chart. The 'Castles' album is so good and 'Best Days' is a highlight.
                                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

[center:1bwamd6k]50. Taylor Swift - Delicate

[youtube:1bwamd6k]tCXGJQYZ9JA[/youtube:1bwamd6k]

This was a fan favourite even when it was just an album track, so it&#39;s no wonder it basically gave the era another boost of life when it seemed that it had already died. It shows a gentler, more genuine side of Taylor, which contrasted the more bitchy/sassy Taylor in some of the other singles of the era. I think people needed that. Still remains one of the album&#39;s highlights.[/center:1bwamd6k]
                                                last.fm

Comment

[center:2deipl0v]49. Kendrick Lamar, SZA - All the Stars

[youtube:2deipl0v]JQbjS0_ZfJ0[/youtube:2deipl0v]

Mostly here because of SZA since I don&#39;t care about rappers, good or bad, bar Azealia Banks, though she&#39;s so much more. Anyhow, this song is such a radio song, but so good and special in a way. SZA&#39;s chorus is catchy, emotional and impactful. Wouldn&#39;t be the same if sung by someone else, her voice is quite distinctive[/center:2deipl0v]
                                                  last.fm

Comment

"Let You Love Me" was a big grower for me. I actually think it'll last a few years for me. "Delicate" is lovely. I think Kendrick and SZA share the combined magic of "All the Stars" fairly equally; for me, it was much better than either star's typical output.

Comment

Re: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles #52-49

Lissie's ''Best Days'' is as close to a pop/country song as she got. I have to admit that it's catchy.
                                                      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Rita’s song was such a grower, I really disliked it at first.

Kendrick and SZA was a great combo, the production on that track was great.
                                                        THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

'Delicate' is a cute song 'All The Stars' is good.
                                                          Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Merry christmas Carbon. <3 I hope you had a wonderful time yesterday with all your close ones. Did you get anything particularly lovely off santa this year?

I've just caught up with your year end chart and these are my personal favourites so far:

80. Dua Lipa - IDGAF

72. Janelle Monáe – Make Me Feel

I adore this song, Make me feel was an instant #1 for me after watching the music video. How this song ended up struggling to become a hit remains one of 2018's biggest mysteries as it's such an epic bop. <3

71. Jennifer Lopez - Us
                                                            69. Nicki Minaj - Ganja Burn
                                                            66. Shakira ft. Maluma - Trap

63. Mariah Carey - GTFO

Mariah really brought those gems this year and not since #Beautiful have i been so fond of a new Mariah single. This just clicked so much with me when i first listened to the song.

62. Billie Eilish - When the Party's Over

Billie Eilish has been one of my breakthrough artists of 2018. This isn't the most instant song of the year but its certainly an endearing one. I also get major Lorde vibes too so i'm curious to see whether Billie & Lorde will eventually team up and collaborate on a track.

61. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex

Ohh i totally agree with your commentary, Ariana has owned 2018 for me and even broke the record for most #1 hits in a calendar year. To think had Sweetener been released before the year was out, there's every chance Ariana might've added to that tally. All three singles from Sweetener are amazing.

53. Dido - Hurricanes
                                                            52. Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

50. Taylor Swift - Delicate

I'm thankful that this track got the music video it deserved but again i thought it might've helped boost the songs popularity. To conclude, songs don't get a boost on Spotify following a video release. How i miss the epic iTunes heydays.

49. Kendrick Lamar, SZA - All the Stars

Look forward to seeing what's still to come.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                                              "Let You Love Me" was a big grower for me. I actually think it'll last a few years for me. "Delicate" is lovely. I think Kendrick and SZA share the combined magic of "All the Stars" fairly equally; for me, it was much better than either star's typical output.
                                                              I do think Kendrick is equally deserving of praise for ATS, I just personally listen to the song mostly for the SZA chorus than anything else I respect him as an artist though, definitely much better him than someone disposable and trashy like French Montana or Post Malone

Originally posted by heppolo
                                                              Lissie's ''Best Days'' is as close to a pop/country song as she got. I have to admit that it's catchy.
                                                              Her whole career is basically pop/country in a way

Originally posted by Thriller
                                                              Rita’s song was such a grower, I really disliked it at first.

Kendrick and SZA was a great combo, the production on that track was great.
                                                              Originally posted by Benjamin
                                                              'Delicate' is a cute song 'All The Stars' is good.
                                                              No disagreement here! Though for me Rita's song was love at first listen, but grew off me a bit later.
                                                              last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                              X