Time to finally catch up!

100. Marshmello & Anne-Marie - Friends
    099. Kylie - Dancing
    097. MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld - Colour
    096. Ellie Goulding x Diplo ft. Swae Lee - Close To Me
    095. Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi - Baby
    094. Zara Larsson - Ruin My Life
    091. Chrvches - Miracle

Good batch. "Friends" is definitely my favorite one here. I don't listen to radios which is probably good in that case as I'm still loving the song "Baby" is strong too. Need to revisit "Close To Me" and "Ruin My Life" as both didn't do much for me, even though I love Ellie and Zara.

090. David Guetta & Sia - Flames
    088. Ciara - Dose
    087. Taylor Swift - Delicate
    085. Chrvches - Get Out
    083. Louisa ft. 2 Chainz - YES
    081. Charlie Puth ft. Kehlani - Done For Me

YESSS at "Yes"! I still don't get how this wasn't even a moderate hit. It's such a cool pop track and would have been huge a few years ago. "Flames", "Delicate" and "Done For Me" are strong, too, with the latter being actually my favorite single of Charlie's second album (probably unpopular opinion alert!).

079. Camila Cabello - Real Friends
    078. Meghan Trainor - No Excuses
    076. Imagine Dragons - Natural
    073. Maroon 5 - Girls Like You
    071. Zedd & Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle

Good to see "The Middle". I already enjoyed Maren on her debut album, so it was nice to see her getting some success everywhere with that. "Real Friends" is cute but I feel like she should have went with another song as a single. "No Excuses" is quite a bop, a shame it bombed.

Comment

088. Ciara - Dose
      084. Gorgon City & Kamille & Ghosted - Go Deep
      083. Louisa ft. 2 Chainz - YES
      082. Nina Nesbitt - Somebody Special
      079. Camila Cabello - Real Friends
      075. Nina Nesbitt - Colder

Yay for the Nina Nesbitt love. I'm also very excited for her album. Should be good
      Good to see Gorgon City and Louisa. 'YES' is that ultimate bop.
      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Aww, I'm still happy to see 'Friends' in the Top 100. I really adore this song but you're right, I don't play it as much as I did back in spring this year.

'Dancing' is Kylie's best song since 'All The Lovers' IMO.
        'Close To Me' is okay, 'Baby', too.

I really like the 'Ruin My Life' single cover. 'Delicate' is cute but Taylor has much better songs on reputation.
        'No Excuses' was a bop.
        I also prefer the album version of 'Girls Like You' to the Cardi B version, but this one isn't bad either.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
        http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Comment

Taylor Swift - Delicate
          Charlie Puth - Done For Me
          Maroon 5 - Girls Like You
          Zedd - The Middle

'Delicate' is probably the best Taylor song from her rather disappointing era. 'Done For Me' is a great song, he's one of those artists where I liked all of his pre-album singles but can't be bothered to listen to his album! 'Girls Like You' and 'The Middle' are basic, but I like them!

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [SINGLES 80-71]

Girls Like You is the most basic and reductive song of the year by far.

No Excuses and Natural are both bops for different reasons.

The Middle is pure Zedd by numbers and just reminds me of a rubbish drag queen DJ in Ku Bar miming along to it really seriously and pouty.

Comment

This is... not going particularly well for any of us, is it?

Let's hope this lot lights your fires a bit more.

070. Starley - Love Is Love

This is a complete LGBT anthem. When I first heard this on the train, I wept. Such a relatable story for me, having a family who don't necessarily understand your sexuality and who you love - particularly with a religious angle to it ('why can't you live in God's plan?'). In this story, Starley talks to her father and trying to explain that loving her girlfriend isn't a sickness and is something to celebrated. As well as a courageous and beautiful message, it's a catchy midtempo number with Starley's smooth vocals adding a great touch. A wonderful message and you should definitely give it a listen, particularly if you think you may relate.

[youtubeibjtnoy]8dnAAv_kbbY[/youtubeibjtnoy]

069. David Guetta, Martin Garrix & Brooks - Like I Do

With Martin Garrix doing a lot of midtempo jams at the moment, it was nice to see him turn to something a bit more ferocious in this David Guetta collab. I love the chipmunk vocals starting this off all sweet and soft before an immense build up and a stomping dance chorus with plenty of heavy bass. It's such a brilliant club anthem and one I have had on constant repeat this year.

068. ZAYN - Let Me

ZAYN was never one of my favourites in 1D and I have found his solo material to be very hit and mix, either complete genius or basically unlistenable. This one firmly falls in the former camp. It is so deliciously laid back and doesn't really care for the rules.. while most people put a lot of stock in the chorus and make sure it is the most standout and catchy part of a song, this chorus is as chill as the rest of the song. His falsetto sounds gorgeous and it's such a perfect Sunday song while making the most of your time off. Relaxing music heaven.

067. Why Don't We - 8 Letters

On a similar vibe but more ballad than midtempo is this really cool Why Don't We track. Starting as a piano ballad with a lovely verse, the track grows into a soaring bridge before pulling it it back in with a very minimalist chorus with vocoded harmonies and a ballad-dance breakdown. I particularly like the second verse which is a completely different melody to the first - I love it when songs take creative risks like that. The boys pretty unanimously sound great on their different parts and I just find the song really interesting and beautiful with a very catchy hook line.

066. Tom Grennan - Found What I've Been Looking For

Speaking of catchy, you're not gonna get much better than this, even the opening chords are a foot tapper. Tom Grennan has a unique and rough voice but it still inherits a certain beauty rather than just sounding hard. The chorus is just such a beautiful build and so singalong. This is radio friendly to the max and the perfect balance of a song that retains credibility while still selling itself to the pop crowd. Toe tapping fun.

065. One Bit x Louisa - Between You & Me

A song that grew on me in the latter half of the year after thinking it was dangerously basic. Something clicked and the melodies started to make real sense to me and win me over. It's a proper builder, one that you'd start to clap to at a gig anticipating the big breakout moment of the song. The trumpets mimicking the Louisa melodies are catchy as hell and it's just a real feel good pop/dance crossover. Louisa sounds beautiful as ever... the girl really needs a hit, she's on so many bangers, people! The bridge structure is glorious, too and she looks glorious in the vid.

064. James TW - Say Love

I've loved a few James TW songs now, he is a great UK storyteller, sort of a UK version of Alec Benjamin I guess. Beautiful voice, guitarist and stories to tell. The melody of the bridge in this just gets me, perfectly placed falsetto moments and great note progression, but the chorus is the big sell here as the drums kick in and each 'say love' becomes higher. It's not going to win an award for being groundbreaking but what it is is beautiful, relatable, well sung and very, very listenable. Radio should be supporting talent like this more.

063. Meghan Trainor - Let You Be Right

Considering the lack of success this year, Meghan has absolutely been delivering the bops. On this, she sounds gorgeous and the song has like a dream like quality about it, a subtlety. It reminds me of aural candy floss. The bass on the chorus is just toooooooooo funky and though the song is very simple in structure, it wins by doing that because it ticks all the boxes of doing everything simply yet brilliantly. Catchy, not generic, it's a win for me. All choruses should be this funky.

062. Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo

ALERT! ALERT! Clean Bandit down! The favourite to win the crown has been toppled! Clean Bandit are out and with them they take Demi and their chart topping anthem Solo. I do really really like this song and I can't stress enough again what a competitive year this is. I did think on first listen this was a bit too generic but the subtle production moments I love CB for are definitely there if you take the the time to listen and I did discover those in time. I do think it's a beautiful idea with the slow strings over the top of a quick pulsating chorus but for me it doesn't stack up to last year's Symphony. It's a very solid dancefloor anthem but for me it isn't quite as special as a few previous releases. BOPS, though, Whoop whoop whoop!

061. Four of Diamonds ft. Burna Boy - Name On It

Who in their right mind would have predicted Four of Diamonds, an X FACTOR GIRLBAND who aren't Little Mix, to release one of the absolute bops of the year? Someone got this really right when choosing a song for them (assuming they didn't write it? If they did then even more kudos). All four girls sound stunning, the song sounds current, it has unique notes in the runs (the highlight being the beautiful falsetto title hook 'you don't wanna put your name on it'). This just has all the makings of a current hit and with some radio support probably would have been... it's very M.O and could have flourished I think. Their second single Stupid Things came very close to charting also.
              Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

STILL TO COME?

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [SINGLES 70-61]

Tom Grennan has had a good year for sure.

One Bit was a serious bop, Meghan had a great year too, Clean Bandit grew on me loads.

I was a bit shook by that Four Of Diamonds song, really strong! Better than Woman Like Me too.

Comment

I really like 8 Letters. That one snuck up on me towards the end of the year and ended up being one of my most liked songs of the year. I checked out the EP and thought Hooked, Talk and Hard were decent too. Surprised they are not bigger.

Comment

highlights from the bubblig list:
                      Janelle Monae - Make Me Feel
                      Selena Gomez - Back To You
                      Kygo ft. Miguel - Remind Me To Forget
                      Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss
                      Anne-Marie - 2002
                      Liam Payne ft. J Balvin - Familiar
                      Silk City ft. Dua Lipa - Electricity
                      Christine & The Queens - Girlfriend
                      Lily Allen - Lost My Mind
                      Robyn - Honey
                      Sara Bareilles - Armor
                      Selena Gomez x Marshmello - Wolves
                      Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
                      1975 - TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME
                      Galantis - Mama Look At Me Now

then, highlights from the ranked ones:
                      099. Kylie - Dancing: as a non-kylie fan, this was fun and catchy
                      090. David Guetta & Sia - Flames
                      085. Chrvches - Get Out
                      074. Bastille - Quarter Past Midnight
                      VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk

PLAY UKmixPARADE Choice Awards @ Personal Charts

CHECK
                      The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo + Deconstructing Leo 2.0 @ Personal Charts

Comment

068. ZAYN - Let Me

'Let Me' is one of my ZAYN faves. Smooth bop. 'Solo' is a real bop
                        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

"Solo" is one of Clean Bandit's finest studio concoctions. I didn't expect it to win, but it's a bit low. "Let Me" is just okay for me.
                          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                            Tom Grennan has had a good year for sure.
                            I agree with this statement, Tom Grennan had some good tunes this year.
                            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

"Let Me" was a good song.

Comment

069. David Guetta, Martin Garrix & Brooks - Like I Do
                                068. ZAYN - Let Me
                                065. One Bit x Louisa - Between You & Me

Ohhh... didn't expect to see "Solo" being out so soon Amazing tune.
                                Love to see "Let You Be Right" here. Was my least favorite song of her singles this year at first but it grew on me, now it's my favorite one. The other three were all nice but they all already did much better (also this year).

Comment

Sorry that Solo left so soon!
                                  Mike, I agree that 4oD had better singles this year than Little Mix. Chris, I'll check out the other We Don't We stuff, thanks!
                                  Thanks all!

060. Fickle Friends - Say No More

Another entry for my sun soaked favourites FIckle Friends who released a heap of great singles from their debut album this year. So many of their songs are upbeat, and of a sunny disposition (even though sometimes that massively juxtaposes with the lyrics). This song is another example of a fast paced summer romp, with excellent detail in production and a beautiful sunny chorus where Natty's voice really shines. I particularly like the part before the second chorus where everything slows down and the beautiful falsetto vocal shines before a really cool, synth based instrumental takes centre stage. If you like unashamed pop with a credible edge, please do click below, you won'y regret it!

[youtube:17p8v0n7]zHeA0Yy_zX0[/youtube:17p8v0n7]

059. Friendly Fires - Love Like Waves

Another double F now and this song has lots of the same high points as the previous one! I've liked Friendly Fires for a long time but it's been the odd single as opposed to constantly loving their output. I was glad when this popped up on Hot Hits to continue that trend though. Like Fickle Friends, it has excellent production and it screams summer, that chorus really is drenched in sunshine. I really rinsed this song in the hot August months with the sound turned up really loud and it's remained a favourite even now when the weather has turned bad!

058. Jason Mraz - Have It All

One of my favourite artists and one time musical hero returned this year and also returned to FORM and the music that really compelled me to him in the first place. Have It All marked the return of WORDPLAY. Jason is at his best for me when spitting quick, clever rhymes, playing with words and showing his superior grasp of the dictionary. This song does that from the off 'may you have auspiciousness and causes of success, may you have the confidence to always do your best' he sings, with clever couplets and rhymes in unexpected places. Pair this with the uplifting message ('may the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows, may the road less paved be the one that you follow') and the catchy return in sound similar to those of his biggest hits (I'm Yours) and you really have a recipe for success. Radio friendly gold and a real step in the right direction for me. But, another poll option falls, it is not number one.

057. M22 ft. Medina - Last Time

This song has been one of my favourites of the year from the second I heard it, so instant and catchy. Honey smooth vocals (which sound at times suspiciously like Pixie Lott) over a pulsating beat and we were onto a real winner! I never knew when it came on shuffle if it was this or Loud Luxury's 'Body' which had started.. so similar! BUT this one won out for me. The vocals are so pure and clear and the melodies so beautiful and interesting. I could happily get down to this in a club but also happily chill out to it, it has multiple moments for me.

056. Chvrches - Never Say Die

Chvrches now with their final hit of the year and their best for me. Catchy from the off, atmospheric and with a brilliant motif in the repeated 'didn't you say that? didn't you say that?' moments. Things build as the bridge quite literally crashes in and the wall of sound just keeps building and building and building. The chorus is so simple, being pretty much one word or phrase on repeat, yet the production values are so good it really really stands out. So catchy, Lauren's vocals are beautiful and the whole sound really envelops you and takes you on a journey. Great tune.

055. Julia Michaels ft. Trippie Red - Jump

Proof if ever it were needed that you don't have to have the biggest voice to sell a song. Julia's vocals are very restrained and soft but it works absolute wonders on this song, which is minimalist in its production so welcomes a quieter vocal. I love how the soft bloops of the song match the timing of some of her short, sharp notes and I love how the production kicks in slightly in the chorus to match up with the change in pace as she crams in lots of words into a short space. I feel like smart decisions were made in the pacing of the song and I think for such a subtle affair it's hella catchy,

054. Roger Martin ft. Maurice - Found Love

I have Love Island to thank for this one! I feel like I've heard it before, is it a redo? It sounds really retro and almost like it's been out through a filter. Whatever is true, it absolutely bops. Maurice 's voice isn't really remarkable but it's smooth and I really enjoy it. However it's the overly produced chorus and subsequent horns that really give this song its bite. I wish I had heard this song out and about more, I feel like it's a bit of a hidden gem that should have been one of the biggest dance songs of the year,

053. Claire Richards - On My Own

I thought this day might never come! The lead singer of Steps finally got around to releasing her first solo material and I was very impressed. I do think the song starts off sounding a bit dated and at times I was almost convinced to skip it because it sounded so out of place on my playlists. HOWEVER, theres no denying Claire sounds gorgeous from the very off and when you get to the chorus BOOM, we are off! I love the crashing drums over Claire's strong dominant vocals in a call and replyesque session. This love is intensified when all the music disappears in the middle eight and Claire sings over JUST the drum beat. It BANGS. LITERALLY. It's a really strong moment and her soaring vocals when the music is reintroduced is just classic Claire really.

052. Olly Murs ft. Snoop Dogg - Moves

Olly can be very hit and miss for me, PARTICULARLY with his lead singles. You either get an absolute stormer like Heart Skips a Beat or something good but unremarkable like Troublemaker. This time for me he served somewhere in between but much more closer to the former. This has such a funky groove to it, a really great bass, a great use of timing and an interesting way of fitting the lyrics in, particularly in the verses and bridges which are incredibly catchy. There are some great and tbh relatable lyrics and though the chorus is not as strong for me as the rest, bar the unnecessary Snoop Dogg bit, it just bops. People note similarities to Feels which is perhaps why, but a banger is a banger and I love this.

051. Alex Benjamin - Boy In The Bubble

Like Fickle Friends before him, Alec is a semi undiscovered favourite of mine who will have many moments in my chart this year. This next one is a tale of getting into a fight and like I said I liked Jason at his quick spitting best, this is a story told through quick rhymes and quality songwriting. The song changes pace so often and is at times frenetic and at times calm which honestly really reflects the story and the emotions within. I love when the bridge kicks in and the 'nose was bleeding, heart was pounding, chest was beating' narrative as the beat quickens because for me that really gives the idea of the heart rate quickening. It's a story with a moral, it's kind of got a twisted vibe to it and I think as well as being catchy it's hella interesting.

Comment

Claire's song is better than anything from the Steps album.
                                    Chvrches great.
                                    Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (15th Feb 20) - Cam, Polly Scattergood, Cerrone, Blanche, Seth Lakeman, La Roux

Comment

059. Friendly Fires - Love Like Waves - I was slightly disappointed by one of my favourite acts.
                                      056. Chvrches - Never Say Die - I wish Chvrches goes back to their rockier sound.

Comment

I agree with everything you wrote about "Have It All", but it's much too low, even though I expected it to be around that position.
                                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [SINGLES 60-51]

Friendly Fires was such a summer anthem, M-22 one of the best dance tracks of the year and Claire’s track grew on me so much and now I love it.

Comment

I don't mind "Moves" but it didn't leave a huge Impression on me.

Comment

Tom Grennan - Found What I've Been Looking For
                                              Clean Bandit - Solo
                                              Julia Michaels - Jump

Love these tracks. Tom's track I charted very highly last year, feel like the song has been re-released so many times now!
                                              Surprised I enjoyed the Julia Michaels track, as i've not been too keen on her own music.

Comment

Thanks all, into the top 50

050. Justin Timberlake ft. Chris Stapleton - Say Something

Justin Timberlake has been a weird one of late in that it feels like he has really gone off the boil.. even in his Superbowl halftime show he was very mildly received, and as someone who has seen numerous JT shows (Hello BRITS Afterparty 2014 Show!) I know he can absolutely kill it. I wasn't big on Filthy, but when he released THIS track from Man of The Woods, I was sold again. What a gorgeous song and change in pace from the previous single.
                                                The guitar is so warm, Justin sounds stunning, and despite being quite repetitive, there's something very hypnotising about the 'everybody just say something, say something, say something' etc part. I'm not as keen on Chris' voice but in his verse when the music drops out and there's a huge beautiful harmony moment, I live. I also love the melody on the 'maybe I'm looking for something I can't have' refrain. There's so much beauty in this song and I was really glad that JT stripped it back for this release.

049. Kylie Minoque - Stop Me From Falling

While Dancing took it's sweet time to grab me, this was instant. Still with that country flair but doing a better job of combining it with classic pop Kylie. The number is just a romp and the chorus in particular is catchy as anything. It has a real 'clap along' hoedown flair and I for one want to be at that hoedown (and I guess I will be at Glastonbury 2019!). When the after-chorus 'for youuuuuuu' kicks in, we are back in upbeat pop Kylie territory and I'm really here for that. Catchy, kooky, cool.

048. Calum Scott - What I Miss Most

For someone who started their career on a slowed down Robyn cover (which has to be about the worst thing on his debut album), I am really really here for what Calum has served up since and this song is no exception. There is a hint of the change of pace to come in the verse and bridge but while there's a subtle beat, it absolutely CRASHES in for the chorus and you really feel like you are off on a high speed journey. I don't know how to explain it any better than that, but I feel like I'm being transported in some way. Calum's voice is as ever beautiful (and watching the video for the first time, Calum stays beautiful too!). I think this is a really accessible big pop moment for those who have looked down on their nose at him for the Dancing On My Own success.. he really can write his own glorious pop songs, too! The crashing drum section in the middle 8 is so good, give it a try!

047. The 1975 - Give Yourself A Try

Speaking of giving things a try Seamless! This was so so instant for me. I love the loud, almost internet modem noise of the instrumental entrance and the verses are just so well written and catchy. I had to listen a lot to figure out all the words he's saying but starting out with 'you learn a couple things when you get to my age - like friends don't lie and it all tastes the same in the dark' is a decent indication of the wisdom to come! The chorus is much simpler - but still catchy - and still over the noisy motif that constantly replays. There's nothing worse than a part of a song on a constant loop when it's not that great, but this song benefits from the motif being catchy as hell (actually it starts to break down in the third verse but it's not absent long). Great great songwriting and his vocals sound really lush in the chorus.

046. John Mayer - New Light

It was nice to have one of my favourites back this year in the form of John Mayer. With John I tend to either COMPLETELY ADORE his output, or not be fussed by an entire collection of work. This was instant for me, though, so laid back and beautiful and subtle and chill. But it manages to be melodic and catchy and wonderful.
                                                I LOVE the melody of the first verse.
                                                'I'm the boy in your other phone
                                                Lighting up inside your drawer at home, all alone
                                                Pushing 40 in the friend zone
                                                We talking and you walk away, every day'

The song is just full of beautiful melodies and that includes the title line 'if you give me just one night, you gonna see me in a new light' and the particularly beautiful 'after chorus' in falsetto. It's just all really stunning. It's not gonna win any awards for being particularly ground breaking or in your face but sometimes you don't need that. The whole thing is just laid back candy floss deliciousness. I very much welcome this direction back into pop music for John after a deviation to a countrified style. Give me SYNTHS John, I love it! It harks back to Room For Squares a bit and that's where my John Mayer love began.

045. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood

Despite Shawn constantly naming John as one of his biggest influrences, this is so far from being as carefree as the last song, this is angsty and dramatic - and I love it. Shawn sounds angelic when the song begins, singing in a beautiful falsetto but singing about his world on the verse of collapse. I did wonder at first whether this was a remark on his often questioned sexuality ('just have a drink and you'll feel better, just take her home and you'll feel better, keep telling me that it gets better, does it ever?') but he seems to have put that to bed now so I have a different take on it.
                                                When the beat starts to ramp up you have an idea of where it's going and it's a funny juxtaposition of catchy upbeat pop song with melancholy, harrowing lyrics. but I don't think anything prepared me the first time for the absolute roar Shawn lets out in the chorus as he screams 'it isn't in my blood'
                                                So many great moments in this, both production (when the first chorus ends and the sound all collects together and drops back out for verse two) and melodically (the 'sometimes i feel like giving up, no medicine is strong enough' note progression resembling that of a rollercoaster) that make up a truly remarkable song and one that was absolutely perfect for both being a hit lead single but also establishing a different new era and a new sound for Shawn/ I saw him perform this metres away outside the BBC and when he asked the crowd to sing the final chorus 'it isn't in my blood' it was absolutely deafening so I'm sure we have a fan favourite on our hands. But.. it's not my number one!

044. BeBe Rexha - I'm A Mess

A bit of a surprise favourite for me now but I heard this on the Hot Hits Spotify list and was so taken by it, it became a bit of a gym anthem for me. So many catchy portions in one song but my favourite has to be the chorus. It's very 'Bitch' by Meredith Brooks in delivery but at the same time has a really catchy melody that caught my ear. The bridge (particularly second time around) builds and builds and Bebe sounds really good on it with some great lyrics ('it's gonna be a good good life... that's what my therapists say!'). I just really found myself hitting the replay button on this one over and over and I think it's almost certainly my favourite thing Bebe has put her name to.

043. Panic! at the Disco - Say Amen (Saturday Night)

One of my favourite bands now and what a great year they've had - starting with this. The weird production touch which sounds like someone saying 'I need a, I need a' on repeat is such a cool beginning, but by the chorus it is very typical all guns blazing Panic! anthem. It's a sound that suits them really well and this went down a real treat live, particularly with the 'wooaaah' refrains to sing along with. The verses are punchy and catchily delivered and the lyricism in the choruses 'I pray for the wicked on the weekend/I swear to god I ain't ever gonna repent - Mama can I get another amen?' is really on point. I love the piano running through the middle 8, and the sliding scale of 'it's Saturday' as Brendon's vocal gets higher and higher into the stratosphere. Their Hits collection is gonna be crazy, they have so many great singles.

042. Nina Nesbitt - Loyal To Me

Topping off a great year for Nina is this absolute pop ditty. First listen, I wasn't convinced and thought it was a bit of a generic offering for her, but very soon I had this on absolute repeat. It harks back to the music of the early 2000s, those girl power anthems about female solidarity and I love the vocal layering and singing along to the harmonies in the 'tell him, tell him, tell him, tell him' parts. Nina sounds stunning, particularly on the verses when she has a chance to deviate from the melody and let her falsetto do some real work. This is effortlessly catchy, beautifully produced, cleverly put together (I love the l-loyal moments in the background) and should have been a really major radio hit here. Nina has so much to offer and this is a real indicator of what a pop force she could be if given the chance. Great video too.

041. MNEK - Correct

If you are sleeping on this man, stop it right this instant. Yes he writes amazing tunes for others, yes he produces big hits, yes he has great featured moments, but he also has HIS OWN SOLO BANGERS. I remember hearing this on the bus for the first time and just thinking 'this is a one'. Obviously we know he can produce the hell out of a song but some of the touches on this are genius. I love when he breaks it down and includes 'other voices' asking 'who wrote this song? who made this beat?' then it crashes back in with 'welll... take a guess'. There's something not so humble about it but honestly, he's done the graft and not got the payoff quite a lot... so deserved, honestly. I love that the second verse bears little resemblance to the first, but the second bridge brings the familiarity back.
                                                I love when it breaks down in the middle 8 and then he bursts in with 'stay fabulous honey!' and 'yasss bitch!', it's so unapologetically him and unapologetically LGBT without losing any credibility (which sometimes introducing those kinds of elements tends to do). It feels very authentic, very credible and yet her's bringing elements of that culture into the mainstream. The whole thing is catchy as hell, cleverly written, geniusly produced and he sounds ace. MNEK gained my respect and love and attention in a big way this year and he should gain yours too.. peep below!

[youtube:3jhs0cgo]5avyxOnya2Q[/youtube:3jhs0cgo]

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [SINGLES 60-51]

STILL TO COME?

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [SINGLES 50-41]

A round of applause for MNEK at #41.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X