X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

010. Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999
    007. Shawn Mendes ft. Khalid - Youth
    006. Years & Years - All For You

Oh, didn't see that high spot for "Youth" coming! Definitely the best thing Shawn has done for me, love it so much and it's a shame they didn't give it a proper push. "All For You" is very good, should have been a hit in the UK.

Comment

Before that though, lets review the top 20 albums!

020. James Bay - Electric Light

Great haircut, bit of a disappointing album, but still some highlights here.
      Best tracks: Pink Lemonade, Us, Wanderlust

019. Anne-Marie - Speak Your Mind

Another slight disappointment for me, though maybe I am in the minority as it's just been nominated for the Best British Album BRIT. I just thought the singles stood out more than the rest. But the singles were amazing, so.
      Best tracks: Cry, Alarm, Then

018. Clean Bandit - What Is Love?

This feels more like a collection of singles than it does a cohesive album. That said, all the individual tracks are pretty strong!
      Best tracks: Symphony, Mama, We Were Just Kids

017. Lily Allen - No Shame

More subtle than her previous work, less obvious bangers but still plenty of great melody and probably more critic friendly
      Best tracks: Come On Then, Lost My Mind, What You Waiting For

016. Jason Mraz - Know

A big return to form this year for Jason, some touches of the stuff I am not as keen on but Unlonely and Have It All were definitely in the right direction for me
      Best tracks: Unlonely, More Than Friends, Sleeping To Deeam

015. Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes

I really like Shawn's albums, all the songs are always nice. But they are inconsistent, some are a lot greater than others. This is a mature album but with the same drawbacks.
      Best tracks: Youth, Perfectly Wrong, Particular Taste, Mutual

014. Charlie Puth - Voicenotes

Great writing and production, Charlie knows music. A couple of duds (Boyz 2 Men) but pretty much all killer.
      Best tracks: Attention, LA Girls, How Long, Empty Cups

013. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

So glad Youngblood was a hit for them, plenty of bangers to join it on this album.
      Best tracks: Youngblood, Valentine, If Walls Could Talk, Talk Fast,

012. Little Mix - LM5

A pretty solid and strong album from the girls showcasing a maturity in sound, I could have picked more highlights. Some here I do skip, though, but a strong effort.
      Best tracks: Think About Us, Wasabi, Forget You Not, Monster In Me

011. Camila Cabello - Camila

A really solid, cohesive debut effort. I think this benefited from me seeing her live twice and her basically doing the whole album ha, but she got it right, really. Horribly handled, mind you.
      Best tracks: All These Years, She Loves Control, Into It, Real Friends

010. Kate Nash - Yesterday Was Forever

A return to some degree of pop from one of my favourite artists ever, a real great merging of her two musical styles.
      Best tracks: Hate You, Drink About You, Twisted Up, To The Music I Belong, Karaoke Kiss

009. Calum Scott - Only Human

Let me let you know, Dancing On My Own is the weakest thing on this album, his own material is so much stronger and deserves more exposure, honestly a great songwriter, it's also a lot more upbeat than you might expect,
      Best tracks: If Our Love Is Wrong, Give Me Something, Rhythm Inside, What I Miss Most, Good To You

008. Chvrches - Love Is Dead

I never really got this band beyond a couple of tracks before, despite even seeing them live, this year it clicked and now I'm dying to see them. This album is really really solid.
      Best tracks: Heaven/Hell, Never Say Die, Forever, Graves, Deliverance

007. Years & Years - Palo Santo

Queer pop was on the rise this year, with Olly at the forefront. A really strong album just full of bops.
      Best tracks: All For You, Karma, Up In Flames, Howl, Hypnotised

006. MNEK - Language

More of that queer pop now and MNEK truly thought about every detail. Listen to this start to finish, impeccably put together,
      Best tracks: Correct, Body, Girlfriend, Phone, Touched By You

005. Alec Benjamin - Narrated For You

You've seen SO many of his songs peppered through this chart, so no surprise this mixtape is high. Great musicianship from this fresh singer songwriter
      Best tracks: Swim, If We Have Each Other, Let Me Down Slowly, Water Fountain, Boy In The Bubble, If I Killed Someone For You

004. Troye Sivan - Bloom

A breakthrough year for Troye, I love this, it feels so well put together, a really tight album where all the tracks shine.
      Best tracks: Seventeen, My My My, Postcard, Plum, Lucky Strike, Bloom

003. Fickle Friends - You Are Someone Else

Another non surprise as it's been TWO years of these tracks popping up. Heavenly pop music, upbeat melodies, downbeat lyrics, a top album.
      Best tracks: Wake Me Up, Glue, Bite, Lovesick, Rotation, Hello Hello

002. Panic! at the Disco - Pray For The Wicked

Honestly they just never disappoint do they.
      Best tracks: Hey Look Ma I Made It, High Hopes, Dancings Not A Crime, One Of The Drunks, The Overpass, King of the Clouds, Dying In LA

001. Saara Aalto - Wild Wild Wonderland

Pop perfection, honestly.
      Best tracks: Monsters, HAN, Half A Heart, Dance Like Nobody's Watching, Don't Deny Our Love, My Touch, Walking On Nails, No Fear, Domino, Queens
      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [ALBUMS 20-01]

Oh I never knew Saara had an album! Good to see MNEK there.

Comment

at me ranking Know higher than you. Shawn Mendes is a step in the right direction, but I agree that he still has kinks there to iron out. Youngblood was better than I expected. I disagree that Camila got it right. "Havana" promised much more than Camila actually delivered.

Palo Santo is fantastic. Y&Y really won me over in 2018. Language has three killer moments, but isn't totally impressive for me as an overall effort. I'll revisit it, of course, because MNEK is just so clever and likeable. You like Bloom more than I do!

Pop perfection? Hmm...I'll have to give Sara Aalto a listen 'cause that's some big praise!
          Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [95-91]

Comment

'Palo Santo' is a great album, great to have Years & Years back.
            I also did not know Sara Aalto released an album. Not sure I believe it's pop perfection, but I'll check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
              The other two I can forgive but the last time I saw you in person I had LITERALLY just walked back from Sara's merch stand and was talking to you about buying the signed album! Do you listen to NOTHNG I SAY

Have a listen guys, even if you don't agree with perfection I am sure you will find some real quality pop you enjoy on there.

Comment

Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [ALBUMS 20-01]

Oops, unexpected no.1 album.

010. Kate Nash - Yesterday Was Forever - interesting record, glad Kate stuck to her guns.
                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
                  Originally posted by Thriller
                  The other two I can forgive but the last time I saw you in person I had LITERALLY just walked back from Sara's merch stand and was talking to you about buying the signed album! Do you listen to NOTHNG I SAY

Have a listen guys, even if you don't agree with perfection I am sure you will find some real quality pop you enjoy on there.
                  Sorry babe, I was smashed

LIVING for Blonde and the mighty Bryn Christopher YAAAAAS.

Comment

• Thanks all!

003. Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes

What an ANTHEM! From the opening horn arrangement it is just such a triumph. This song was the one I considered most of the year to be my number one, and to be honest it came down to the wire to decide which of the top three it would be, and this fell just short, perhaps as I've heard it the most? It's not tired in anyway, I think the other two just felt that bit fresher,
                    Anyway, this song. It's really taken off and indeed is still high in the UK iTunes chart, I hear it as a bed for music shows and adverts all the time, it has become one of their signature hits now I think, and who would argue with such an upbeat, catchy chorus? I love both Brendon's vocals and the distorted background vocals too, it's cool that the first vocal comes presented like that and I like how it starts off with it's best foot forward, the chorus. The verses are great though, with the repeated 'Mama said' motif and the bridge is a proper build up to the chorus explosion. The instrumentation backing it is so opposite to the drum and horn crash in of the chorus too, it's almost classical in comparison, and I love that level of difference and detail. I like how the second time around BOTH the verse and the bridge have little extensions on what we came to expect from them the first time, and how the following chorus is almost acapella before the music starts to build again. They just know music and how to make it impactful. If this song isn't going around your head for days after you listened to it, you have something awry.. it's a proper earworm and a real explosion of noise and celebration of music, it's fabulous. None of you picked it as my number one, and you were right.. but it came really darned close!

[youtube:4eoomjds]IPXIgEAGe4U[/youtube:4eoomjds]

STILL TO COME?

Paradise v High Horse v High Five

Comment

• Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [ALBUMS + 3RD PLACE SINGLE]

High Hopes is a great song, I thought the single before it was just OK but this was an obvious smash. Brendonís voice can sometimes verge on yelling but Iíll let him off because, that face.

Comment

• So I just started to copy the albums that I like from your list and realized I like 15 of them I'm not familiar with your #10, #9, #5, #3 and #2, the rest is really awesome! Saara is a nice #1, good pop album for sure.
                        I probably should check out Panic! At The Disco's album, I'm thinking about doing so for months now

Speaking of Panic!...

003. Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes

Good start for the Top3, but somehow I never ended up downloading this or adding it to my library. No idea. I liked it when I checked it out on YouTube and had another positive listen in another situation, but somehow I was so busy with other releases that this never really happened for me. So yeah, I'm having a weird relationship to this song somehow. Happy this is such a huge success though, I always liked Panic! and Brendon is just <3

Comment

• "High Hopes" is good indeed! I think I got into it late in the year, so it never really had much time to grow on me.

Comment

• Let's do this then!

002. Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

There has never been a Kacey Musgraves song in my chart before so she absolutely STORMS it this year with a debut hit that really could have been a year end number one, it was seriously considered.
                            WHAT. A. SONG.
                            From the subtle, chilled opening with the titular lines accompanying guitar riff, it is just a stunning piece of art. I love that opening and the melody of that riff (not even yet at full volume) paired with the 'ooh ooh' vocals. And a John Wayne shout out in the opening line does it for me for sure. You can tell it's very much a country record but it's not so 'yeehaw' that it's inaccessible (speaking as someone from a country where that kind of music isn't really a thing) - it's very much a country pop crossover. The verse is lovely and I adore the bridge both melodically and lyrically but I think the 'I think we've seen enough/seen enough' and 'giddy up/giddy up' parts are glorious, over both a funky beat AND sweeping classical style instruments. It's all so gorgeous. And giddy up is an underused lyric. The icing on the cake has to be the gorgeous falsetto melodic note progression of 'hiiiiiiiiigh horse' though... stun.
                            Her voice is really easy listening and at times just beautiful. The song manages to sound like a complete banger while in reality it's so so chill. She basically is savage at a glacial pace, like she doesn't need to go all guns blazing.
                            The final bridge/chorus over just the drum backing with the GLORIOUS harmonies is a moment and I live for the outro - with some banjo in the background - it's like it gets even more chill and i kind of imagine that is him taking the hint and giddying away. I just love this song. But it's not quite number one, despite being the most popular choice in some VERY close guesses!

[youtube:g5v41oan]fbNDJRwXKGc[/youtube:g5v41oan]

Comment

• YOU'RE A WINNER, BABY!

001. Sigrid - High Five

None of you picked it, but my number one of 2018 is the wonderful Sigrid with her single 'High Five' from the Raw EP. Yes, ALL THREE top songs have High in them! And that's not me just trying to make it happen that way, genuinely these three songs have been fighting out for the top spot for months. And honestly, any of them could have taken it. I'm feeling High.

I love that this song enters so quietly with such a restrained vocal and just a few bloops and drum beats but turns into such a monster. Her vocal is lovely especially on the 'just stay quieeeeet... ohhhh' moment which leads to the first chorus. It's so delicate and gorgeous. That whole first chorus being so small in sound and high in register is beautiful to me. But you can hear the backing getting louder and louder and you know something is about to happen. I adore the juxtaposition of the chorus repeated immediately with the CRASH into life and her singing the same thing in her chest voice. It shows real progression and we're like, 40 seconds in.
                              I love the little background production moments and shouts ('HEY!'). I love the lyrical content too, about surrounding yourself with 'yes men' and wondering why nobody is really there for you when you want or need them. 'And you wonder why, wonder why, no-one's by your side, by your side, when the room goes quiet'
                              That's one of my favourite bits, the contrast between the first 'quiet' (which IS quiet) and the second and third times she sings it when she's BELTING it with some force. This song is a JOURNEY.
                              The final chorus is just a full on eargasm, the song is at it's loudest, all the layers are together, HARMONIES in the background, a kind of choir effect, it's just busy busy busy in the best way, a total 0 to 100 moment. Turn this song up loud and try not to let it take you to church.
                              Sigrid is a real exceptional talent with a knack for writing catchy but non linear and interesting pop music and I'm so glad she came to town. This girl takes the title for 2018. My number one...

[youtube:196peqmc]z6A2LHGx8_A[/youtube:196peqmc]

SORRY GEORGE, not this year

Comment

• Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [NO.1 REVEALED!]

''High Five'' is nice, it is quite in the vein of other Sigrid singles.
                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• 'High Horse' is a bop, definitely made me pay attention to Kacey Musgraves which I'm so grateful for!

Just listened to that Sigrid song for the first time. It's good, but does feel to me like a lesser version of 'Don't Kill My Vibe' and 'Plot Twist' which are still my favourite of her songs.

Comment

Yay for High Horse! Great country-pop song, I wish she'd promoted it more and really used it as her big cross-over hit.
                                    last.fm

Comment

Shocked at that being #1, itís just average for me!

High Horse meanwhile would be fully deserved, what a delight.

So did In My Blood not even feature in the end?! Thought youíd be all over that one.

Comment

• 002. Kacey Musgraves - High Horse
                                        001. Sigrid - High Five

Interesting how all of the Top3 start with 'high'

Good Top2. I enjoy "High Horse" a lot, definitely my favorite song of Kacey's album. "High Five" was cute, also one of her better songs to date.

Great countdown overall!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller
                                          Shocked at that being #1, itís just average for me!

High Horse meanwhile would be fully deserved, what a delight.

So did In My Blood not even feature in the end?! Thought youíd be all over that one.
                                          Get out.

Shawn was at, like, 45?

Thanks for comments all! Top Artists chart closes us out tomorrow!

Comment

I'm pleasantly surprised you're that passionate about "High Horse". I think it's a fantastic song as well, uber relatable, and so hit-ready. Shame the GP didn't embrace it.

I'm not impressed with your #1, but I may revisit it at some point.

Overall, decent list this year. My favourite chunk of the countdown was 40-31.

Comment

Y'all shady.

Comment

• My top 20 artists of 2018.

020. BECKY HILL

019. TAYLOR SWIFT

018. JAMES BAY

017. NIALL HORAN

016. JASON MRAZ

015. NINA NESBITT

014. CAMILA CABELLO

013. CHVRCHES

012. ELLA EYRE

011. SIGRID

010. KATE NASH

009. SHAWN MENDES

008. CALUM SCOTT

007. MNEK

006. YEARS & YEARS

005. TROYE SIVAN

004. ALEC BENJAMIN

003. FICKLE FRIENDS

002. SAARA AALTO

001. PANIC! AT THE DISCO

Absolutely zero surprises based on my album chart countdown but here we are. My top 20 acts of 2018. I had the privilege to see half of them (Panic!, Saara, Fickle Friends, MNEK, Shawn, Ella, Camila, Niall, James & Taylor) They've all released great singles, some have put out epic albums and they've all been part of probably the best year of music for me in quite some time. Also, 5 of my top ten artists are openly LGBT, maybe even six. I love that, too.. Thanks, guys!

Comment

• Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [TOP ARTISTS 2018!]

Lovely LGBT run from 5-8. Y&Y waved the rainbow flag highest for me in 2018, but I'm definitely going to give MNEK the respect due to him in 2019. Big year for Troye as well.

Not a bad artists list, though excluding Ariana is a pretty sizeable omission!

Comment

• Re: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [TOP ARTISTS 2018!]

No Kylie, no validity.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X