Heppolo Top Of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heppolo Top Of 2018

It's that dreadful time of year (again) when I have to summarize my ramblings into some sort of a cohesive list.
    It might look easy on the surface, but in fact it's harder than trying to make sense of some recent Donald Trump tweets.
    P.S. I am too lazy to give this thing a set of cosy fonts and nice images, so I probably won't have much feedback but anyways.
    Waffles are checked cookies

#200 Samsaruh - Speaking Fire
    Australian pop-rock female singer-songwriter with a really BIG chorus.
    #199 Biru Baby - Baby, I Was Made To Fight
    Norwegian girl-band with attitude.
    #198 Dreyma - Air
    Italian post-punk girl-band.
    #197 Shiny Darkly - New Country
    Nick Cave-ish/The Fall-esque depressive talking-singing gothic/no wave rock.
    #196 Vera Sola - The Colony
    Baroque pop female singer-songwriter from Australia, what can go wrong?

Comment

Re: Heppolo Top Of 2018

I've decided I'll try to check out one artist from each of your posts, picking the one I find the most interesting based on the descriptions.

I chose Vera Sola because she sounds like something I'd like. First impressions: sounds good, her vibrato reminds me of Clare Maguire a lot and the "oooh" parts remind me of someone else I can't remember right now.
      last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
        I've decided I'll try to check out one artist from each of your posts, picking the one I find the most interesting based on the descriptions.
        A big thank you, maybe you'll like at least a couple of songs
        I chose Vera Sola because she sounds like something I'd like. First impressions: sounds good, her vibrato reminds me of Clare Maguire a lot and the "oooh" parts remind me of someone else I can't remember right now.
        the music video also deserves more than 13k+ views it has so far.

Comment

#195 James Bowen - And Then Came Bob
          My Christmas #1, a folksy tune, with a slightly drunk sounding voice the same James Bowen responsible for ''A Street Cat Named Bob'' movie.
          #194 Chris Keys - I'll Be Home
          A folksy song with a very pleasant voice as a bonus. It's a pretty pop/folk crossover, if you ask me.
          #193 blow - Not A Love Song
          One of the very few pure pop entries in my annual chart of 2018. All the way from Germany.
          #192 Abstrackt Keal Agram - For No One
          Underrated electro/EDM song which may remind you of the glorious era of trance in the late 90s - early 2000s.
          #191 The Bennies - Dreamkillers
          When a beer ban threatens this aussie ska-punk band, the best solution is to rock the vote

Comment

The Chris Keys' song sounds nice, but what I especially like is the music video - the scenes on this boat look very beautiful!

cd/vinyl collection instagram
            http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Comment

Originally posted by luckyONE
              The Chris Keys' song sounds nice, but what I especially like is the music video - the scenes on this boat look very beautiful!
              Thank you, it's a very relaxing song and a music video. I am so glad we're living in the days where the equipment and technology make it more accessible, so a lot of creative and talented people can afford to do a beautiful music video.

Comment

#190 Hanne Hukkelberg - Stardust
                If you want something twee yet with an attitude and character development throughout the song, this is it.
                #189 Lauren Auder - for those who patiently endure
                A very dreamy and psychedelic landscape re-created in this piece.
                #188 Squirrel Flower - Conditions
                Slow tempo indie rock with a female front, this one is almost early 90s grunge.
                #187 Gwenno - Eus Keus?
                I hope she continues doing her indietronic stuff in Welsh, it adds some extra spice to it.
                #186 Pictures - Love's A Shooting Gun
                That garage rock sound everyone loves, sounds like a mix of Jet & The Raveonettes.

Comment

#185 Woman's Hour - Don't Speak
                  British indietronica a-la Delphic from a few years ago.
                  #184 Foxxxy Mulder - Everything in Bloom
                  Going fully darkwave with this one.
                  #183 Muskets - Umbilical
                  Grunge but like 4Real.
                  #182 Dame Jean - Wasted Love
                  The fast-paced post-punk from the UK is what you need to remind yourself that indie still exists.
                  #181 Lake - Holocene
                  French ambient/neoclassical piece, the grandeur.

Comment

#180 The Ting Tings - Estranged
                    I am surprised they managed to pull it through and enter my top 200, but this is something different, way darker than their usual stuff.
                    #179 Mela Koteluk - Odprowad?
                    Mela is a star of Polish alternative/indie/pop genre and you can see the reason why in ''Odprowad?''.
                    #178 Valeria Stoica - Just a boy
                    Just a taste of things to come for Moldova's very own Valeria Stoica. First one of her two singles in this year's top 200.
                    #177 Baustelle - Veronica, N.2
                    Sounds super familiar, very much like Pulp's ''Babies'', but as far as I understand it's not a copycat.
                    #176 Frankie Animal - (Can't Keep Calling) Misty
                    Straight out of Estonia's Eurovision national final (Eesti Laul 2018), this is very mysterious, very understated indie pop entry.

Comment

Hope to see some Portuguese acts on the list??
                      I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                      I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Always good to see The Ting Tings
                        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by DnBLover
                          Hope to see some Portuguese acts on the list??
                          there might be actually, 2-3 artists

Comment

Hey heppolo

2017 = Fririk Dr - Hringd mig
                            2018 = :(

I'd love to get some recommendations from your good self, any particular pop songs you've liked in 2018 that might appeal to me.

Comment

haven't had time to listen to stuff because of family xmas things, but as soon as I return to my routine I'll try to continue!

#181 Lake - Holocene - quite stunning, perfect for a soundtrack.

skipped the last batch because ting tings + non-english european/eurovision stuff = no
                              last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP
                                Hey heppolo

2017 = Fririk Dr - Hringd mig
                                2018 = :(

I'd love to get some recommendations from your good self, any particular pop songs you've liked in 2018 that might appeal to me.
                                Okay, I'll start with those pop songs that missed the top 200 or have already been mentioned
                                Hanne Hukkelberg - Stardust (my #190)
                                blow - Not A Love Song (my #193)
                                failed to reach my top 200, but might be interesting to you:
                                Kelsey Lu - Due West
                                Bahari - Summer Forever
                                Pink Sweat$ - Honesty
                                Lido - Outstanding
                                Matt Maeson - Put It On Me
                                maybe you'll like some, but keep visiting my chart, there's MUCH more to come (even for you)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin
                                  Always good to see The Ting Tings
                                  It's actually close to post-punk, I was really surprised.

Comment

haven't had time to listen to stuff because of family xmas things, but as soon as I return to my routine I'll try to continue!

#181 Lake - Holocene - quite stunning, perfect for a soundtrack.
                                    Great that you've enjoyed Lake, it's quite a leftfield discovery for me this year.

Comment

#175 mitra mitra - telescopes
                                      Minimal synth, synthwave, noise pop...here we go!
                                      #174 Ash - Confessions in the Pool
                                      Actually some cute and funny music video for Nothern Ireland pop-punk veterans that pulled them through to the top 200.
                                      #173 Jackson MacIntosh - In The Grass
                                      Again, a folsky tune, but this is very Kings of Convenience sort of stuff.
                                      #172 Odd Couple - Katta
                                      Everyone loves some garage indie rock, it's simply a fact.
                                      #171 Mellah - Numb
                                      Once again, some said and depressive stuff, but this time it's kinda catchy and brit-poppy.

Comment

#170 Merk Hang
                                        Psychedelic indie pop which makes you wonder why the singer is staring at you.
                                        #169 beabadoobee - Dance with Me
                                        Can you get more twee than that? Bedroom music at its finest.
                                        #168 Paola Iezzi - Ridi (Cat Paradox Edit)
                                        Takes you back to the good old days of italo pop/italo disco.
                                        #167 YOOP - Rainbow
                                        When you start adding more guitar layers to a new wave revival song, you get something as haunting as ''Rainbow''.
                                        #166 Farao - Lula Loves You
                                        Sweet, yet edgy electropop.

Comment

Nothing that i know so far, so i checked the highest placed song out... as expected, it's not really my genre but i also didn't stop to play it

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike
                                            Nothing that i know so far, so i checked the highest placed song out... as expected, it's not really my genre but i also didn't stop to play it
                                            I should have known you're not into experimental electropop

Comment

#165 Nikhil - Silver and Gold
                                              A very atmospheric pop ballad with a slight hint of indian traditional instruments. The production here is brilliant.
                                              #164 Tahiti 80 - My Groove
                                              French indie pop...Ruined everybody's mood
                                              #163 San Mei Wonder
                                              Australian pop/indie female singer-songwriter. This is very catchy and super underrated.
                                              #162 Svalbard - For The Sake Of The Breed
                                              British hardcore punk! You definitely won't get too bored with this.
                                              #161 CREO - Too Many Thousand & 16
                                              Alternative rock armed with a high male vocal you won't here too ofter. Worth a listen.

Comment

#160 Tanukichan - Lazy Love
                                                Have you been dreaming of pop too much?
                                                #159 The Tourists - Root
                                                You'd say Mongolian garage rock is not your thing, but I honestly could not care less.
                                                #158 Coma - Proste Decyzje
                                                Slightly angrier side of Polish rock.
                                                #157 Matt Maltese - Greatest Comedian
                                                A bit like Jarvis Cocker, you'd probably say.
                                                #156 Beatenberg - Camera
                                                A very cute song, sounds like a mix of Wild Beasts, Django Django, Bombay Bicycle Club and Dutch Uncles. Atonal piano loop adds to the chorus, the whole composition feels slightly melancholic and jazzy.

Comment

Just checked out "Speaking Fire". It's good!
                                                  Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X