Heppolo Top Of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#80 Prada Meinhoff - Stress
    They could be bass champs and I am not talking about fishing.
    #79 Lucie,Too - Egoist
    The new generation of japanese indie girlbands continues the glorious tradition of Shonen Knife (Nirvana and Kurt Cobain's faves). That Snail Mail poster in the music video is also cute.
    #78 Máni Orrason - Picture I Recall
    Pretty boy singing some song. Relatively laid-back.
    #77 Sarah Mary Chadwick - Sugar Still Melts In The Rain
    What a voice. So much for the dark cabaret.
    #76 Leyya - Wannabe
    Amusing music video accompanies the poppiest song in my chart so far.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

#75 Tokyo Taboo - No Pleasure Only Pain
      Female-fronted rock acts dominate my chart this year.
      #74 Black Mirrors - Günther Kimmich
      This entry has solid and powerful riffs with strong and Marcella's vocal lines that go beyond the stoner rock delivery.
      #73 Ink. - Fever
      This should have been higher on my chart, but I've grown slightly tired of it. But it's really well-produced for an indie rock.
      #72 Radiant Children - Life's A Bitch
      One of the more underrated pop acts of 2018.
      #71 Panda Lux - Beuteltier
      Weird electro song. Somewhat catchy.

Comment

#70 I Giocattoli - Ailoviù
        Italy has talent. This girl-boy duo is pretty vibrant.
        #69 Sem&Stènn - You, Your Friend, Another Guy
        80s synthpop vibes.
        #68 October - Body Of Desire
        Here's the more modern take on synthpop.
        #67 Cätlin Mägi - Koka nokast
        The talented artist has a harp, a flute and a looper and transforms the set into something really different.
        #66 Amor Blitz - Antidote
        Dynamic indie rock/indie pop song. The rhythm and hi-hats keep you pumped, guitar arpeggios also fit the mood.

Comment

#65 Saint Agnes - The Witching Hour
          Dark gothic rock'n'roll swag.
          #64 Myrkur - Juniper
          Darkfolk evolves into metal in this. Myrkur is the brainchild of danish composer, vocalist, part-time model and classically trained multi-instrumentalist Amalie Bruun
          #63 Seed to Tree - I Wouldn't Mind
          It is going to be hard for Luxembourgian acts to top this for years to come, I guess.
          #62 Virginia Wing - The Second Shift
          Like listening to a broken Kate Bush record and watching the music video through a kaleidoscope. But the whole thing feels great.
          #61 Calva Louise - Outrageous
          This powerpop sound is a bit 10 years ago, but it seems to be part of the charm, La la laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

#60 Chevalrex - Bonjour, c'est moi
            The cuteness of the music video, the twee nature of the song simply overwhelmed me when I first heard it.
            #59 Ravages - Renaissance
            Low budget music video for a very intense indie pop song.
            #58 River Into Lake - Downstairs
            This has just been released (December 28, 2018). Basically a tutorial on how to make a cinematic music video for nothing.
            #57 Mela Koteluk - Ogniwo
            Despite the fact that this song is in Polish, you can really compare the melodic structure of Mela's music to, for example, Anna Calvi. This song really bypasses any language barriers.
            #56 Agar Agar - Sorry About The Carpet
            Entertaining. Also features the brilliant lyrical content like ''There is a hole in my sock, but I can live with it''

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini
              The pics are crazy.

Yay Hatchie. Big contender for my top position.
              I wish I had this sense of humour to draw funny cartoons myself, but I just don't have enough skills and imagination to do sketches.
              Quite surprising to hear that Hatchie is aiming so big this year in your awesome personal chart. I would guess it's a top 10.

Comment

#55 Analog Balaton - 0112
                Now this is eclectic. I can't really say whether it's indie, pop or electronic. Something in-between, I guess.
                #54 Kadebostany - Save Me
                One of the biggest Swiss pop exports.
                #53 Lavon Volski - ?nik?yja ludzi
                The only Belarusian entry in my top 200 this year. Lavon is a rock legend in Belarus, the song is called ''?nik?yja ludzi'' or ''Missing People'' and tells how not only the time, but people we know and love pass us by.
                #52 Marmozets - Run With The Rhythm
                It's hard to say whether it's their best song, but I love the chorus so much. I can draw some comparisons to The Joy Formidable music.
                #51 Blanche et Noir - Insomnie
                French alternative rock/post-grunge, but are you surprised?

Comment

#50 Long Tall Jefferson - Yonder Is A Mountain
                  Genre: Indie Folk
                  On the surface it might seem like a casual indie folk song, but there's a mountain right behind the singer in the music video so how can you not relate.

[youtube:uqokrxml]SkRAuOmzmH8[/youtube:uqokrxml]

Comment

I literally don't know any of these songs Is there a weekly ranking/playlist from you I could follow so I discover new music in the next year? It's kind of too late to listen all this new music, but I'm glad I discovered thanks to you The Ting Tings ARE BACK! Their debut era was epic to me, they went downhill from there but they still have a place in my heart.

Also knew IIRIS thanks to last FSC, but other than that I don't know any artist. Hope to see an Argentinian entry somewhere Latin America exists and it's not all reggaeton!!

Comment

#49 Mermaidens - Fade
                      Genre: Dream Pop, Shoegazing
                      Flying Nun Records can't let go on their dream pop legacy, they need new generations to keep it intact.

[youtube:28ke1dx7]f5QXUvCEmiM[/youtube:28ke1dx7]

Comment

Originally posted by HC55555
                        I literally don't know any of these songs Is there a weekly ranking/playlist from you I could follow so I discover new music in the next year? It's kind of too late to listen all this new music, but I'm glad I discovered thanks to you The Ting Tings ARE BACK! Their debut era was epic to me, they went downhill from there but they still have a place in my heart.

Also knew IIRIS thanks to last FSC, but other than that I don't know any artist. Hope to see an Argentinian entry somewhere Latin America exists and it's not all reggaeton!!
                        I have a daily chart and a monthly annual top 20 (you can type ''annual'' in my daily chart and see the top 20 for january, february, march and the rest of 2018 till november). Most of those songs made it in the yearly list as well, some positions have changed.
                        Make Mama Proud (my #104) is from Argentina.
                        Thank you for stopping by, I hope you'll enjoy something.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
                          On the surface it might seem like a casual indie folk song, but there's a mountain right behind the singer in the music video so how can you not relate.
                          Holy cow! What a hipster you are.
                          Great, great choice (NB: just like Kadebostany he's virtually unknown here)
                          trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                          trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

#48 Shortparis - ???????
                            Genre: Indietronica, Post-punk revival
                            A very controversial and provocative music video dealing with the political issues in modern Russia and beyond. It hasn't been banned in Russia yet, so here's the link.

Shortparis - ???????

Comment

Originally posted by trebor
                              Holy cow! What a hipster you are.
                              Great, great choice (NB: just like Kadebostany he's virtually unknown here)
                              Thank you
                              Panda Lux (my #71) is also from Switzerland and I have one more Swiss act in the bag still to come

Comment

#47 Dana Williams - Worst in Me
                                Genre: Indie Pop, Singer-songwriter

Dana should go far...Her brand of gentle indie soul with a melancholic yet tender electric guitar made me weep.
                                Her other songs are also great, like Sunny Day or There You Go.

[youtube:1kpyr1rw]io9DfGlYOs4[/youtube:1kpyr1rw]

Comment

[quote="heppolo"Panda Lux (my #71) is also from Switzerland[/quote]
                                  Have to admit that I have never heard of them...
                                  At first listen they sound very, very German (if you know what I mean).
                                  trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                  trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Originally posted by trebor
                                    Panda Lux (my #71) is also from Switzerland
                                    Have to admit that I have never heard of them...
                                    At first listen they sound very, very German (if you know what I mean).
                                    I guess, some weird and clueless electro (a-la Deichkind)

Comment

#46 Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders - Susan
                                      Genre: Indie Rock, Art Rock

The music video is like ''Confide In Me'', but from a different perspective. Jack's deep voice only adds to the whole mysterious and frivolous nature of this song.

[youtube:28z0fbl0]DJ-puDcO4gA[/youtube:28z0fbl0]

Comment

#45 Esther Joy - Day 1 (Silipur Leaves Home)
                                        Genre: Electronic, Industrial

Esther Joy isn't just Charli XCX's bandmate anymore, this attempt to move towards Aphex Twin territory was made a few months before Poppie and Grimes went there.

[youtube:l51v9dwv]8pWWVSbWAcE[/youtube:l51v9dwv]

Comment

#44 Shook - I Will Be There
                                          Genre: Dream Pop, Indie Pop

This song focuses on a very personal surreal experience of Jasper's (one of Shook members) life, and finding beauty in simple things during the battle with illnesses.

[youtube:mnisq16m]VGVPDYP4TbE[/youtube:mnisq16m]

Comment

#43 Franz Szony - Petunia
                                            Genre: Baroque Pop

Franz did his best to supply us with a proper visual side to his mysterious and lavish ''Petunia''.

[youtube:9rkwekwl]B8ioCEJ_8iI[/youtube:9rkwekwl]

Comment

#42 Nic Gyalson - Underneath My Feet
                                              Genre: Indie Rock, Post-Punk Revival

Nic meets his darker self. Who is going to win this battle?

[youtube:12iljn91]md9zLwEQEow[/youtube:12iljn91]

Comment

#41 Alice Phoebe Lou - Something Holy
                                                Genre: Indie Pop, Singer-songwriter

Alice has definitely written a song about love, the vibe is perfect for a slow dance.

[youtube:yaq9thze]fFNofGHHozg[/youtube:yaq9thze]

Comment

#40 Moop Mama - Nüchtern
                                                  Genre: Hip-hop, Brass music

This band offered something different: urban music mixed with brass section. The flow is alright, but the instrumental here makes all the difference for me.

[youtube:367wfstv]wfFU79KkK3c[/youtube:367wfstv]

Comment

#39 Forever Pavot - La Beefteak
                                                    Genre: Indie Rock, Psychedelic Pop

This particular song feels like a soundtrack to some psychedelic movie from the early-mid 70s era.

[youtube:1dh06erw]U1JDBKvPvMI[/youtube:1dh06erw]

Comment

#38 Jeremy Loops - Gold
                                                      Genre: Indie Folk, Indie Pop

What a beautiful music video. Love the song as well.

[youtube:1jcdulm4]oE-D7KcCbn8[/youtube:1jcdulm4]

Comment

#37 Sonohra - L'Ultimo Ballo Lento
                                                        Genre: Pop Rock

The last slow dance indeed, but with voices like these two I am willing to dance.

[youtube:2puodcr4]Vnla5le7Oz8[/youtube:2puodcr4]

Comment

#36 Neil & Liam Finn - Back To Life
                                                          Genre: Baroque Pop, Pop Rock

A father-son powerhouse duet produced a relatively ordinary album, but this particular single shined through, especially the bouzoki-driven mid 8.

[youtube:2si8jepn]4z8iOoVEAUo[/youtube:2si8jepn]

Comment

Re: Heppolo Top Of 2018

I enjoyed the Gareth Dunlop song. Lovely voice! Gonna try Dana Williams next!
                                                            Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Working...
                                                            X