Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony's Top Hits / Albums of 2018 (Complete!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tony's Top Hits / Albums of 2018 (#21)

"Slow Burn" is good!
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

SINGLES
      24 Black Honey - Midnight - it's groovy, the instrumental (esp. towards the end of the song) is very impactful and memorable
      22 Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn - Kacey's production team probably worked super hard to get that slick of a sound, lyrics are slightly naive
      ALBUMS
      23 Chvrches - Love Is Dead - quite savage...I wanted to like it, but beside the great production and occasional moments of brilliant production, I just can't.
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

36 Clean Bandit with Marina and Luis Fonsi - Baby
        31 Christine and The Queens - Doesn't Matter (Voleur de Soleil)
        25 Charli XCX - No Angel / Focus
        22 Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn

32 Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
        31 Christine and The Queens - Chris
        23 Chvrches - Love Is Dead

Yay for these!
        And I guess I have to check out your #23 (Anavae - Afraid) if it's something for Within Temptation fans...

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

20 Ladytron - The Island

Dark subject matter in this song/video.
          [youtube:juritr0r]cXu0zuOKQ2A[/youtube:juritr0r]

TONY'S TOP ALBUMS OF 2018

20 Tracey Thorn - Record

Great synth set from veteran artist.

SPOTIFY

Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

20 Ladytron - The Island - one of the best music videos of the year, the song was this close to entering my top 200 (despite only peaking at #6 in daily chart).

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

19 Andrew WK - Ever Again

More on him later...
              [youtube:1jpy78np]U_EupMUsb50[/youtube:1jpy78np]

19 The Shires - Accidentally On Purpose

Best set yet by popular UK country duo but not quite the best country album of the year.

SPOTIFY

Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

18 Andrew WK - Music Is Worth Living For

...and later...
                [youtube:1cuel787]-CBTyi-ovO8[/youtube:1cuel787]

18 Megan McKenna - Story Of Me

This reality TV star is still ignored by the "too cool" Radio 2 but she shouldn't be. People involved in this album include Catherine McGrath, Lauren Alaina, Amy Wadge, Chelcee Grimes and Beth Nielson Chapman.

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

17 Jessie Ware - Thinking About You

No video but playlisted by Radio 1. Glasshouse highlight. One more to come.
                  [youtube:2wed1yvj]6SlNMUfbrd0[/youtube:2wed1yvj]

17 IAMX - Alive In New Light

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

16 Black Honey - Bad Friends

This only made #2 compared to Midnight's #1 but lasted longer. It's languidly cool pop-rock / indie-rock.
                    [youtube:3b0bhzkf]2k9XhYxK7bo[/youtube:3b0bhzkf]

16 Field Music - Open Here

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

15 Jessie Ware - Overtime

No vid for this either but she's pregnant and released this as a stop-gap. Still deserved more media attention, though. Back to her early retro-modern dance sound.
                      [youtube:3l8sqw1h]9K5d1jtZ9hc[/youtube:3l8sqw1h]

15 Biosphere - The Hilvarenbeek Recordings

Ambient nature recordings.

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

14 Meg Myers - Jealous Sea

Her best this year.
                        [youtube:kejbb114]P5iBlwXp4lk[/youtube:kejbb114]

14 Steffany Gretzinger - Blackout

Bethel Music vocalist goes full-on experimental pop. Big surprise.

SPOTIFY

Comment

Overtime was an incredible release. So 1991.

Comment

15 Biosphere - The Hilvarenbeek Recordings - I've listened to it once or twice, It's actually not as unknown as I supposed initially, there's even a video review. ''Rovertse Heide'' is the highlight.

Comment

Re: Tony's Top Hits / Albums of 2018 (#14)

Kacey, Chrvches and Charli are great though I prefer Focus.

Interesting you think so highly of the Megan album, I'll have a listen !
                              Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

13 Rae Morris - Lower The Tone

Such a great track, full of the joys of new love, but it never advanced from a grat to a proper single. Took 10 weeks to reach a #2 peak! It's like Ellie used to be...
                                [youtube:1vsla8i8]HPDmOitDaqI[/youtube:1vsla8i8]

13 Sarah Reeves - Easy Never Needed You

And more shades of Ellie here. Initially a mini-album and later expanded to a full length.

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

12 Rufus Du Sol - Underwater

The big surprise in dance music, restoring my faith in the genre. This is the most Coldplay / Jon Hopkins ish track of them all. 2nd of 3.
                                  [youtube:1333zlv6]v8H7O-1RBKY[/youtube:1333zlv6]

12 Kate Nash - Yesterday Was Forever

It looked like she'd gone down a lo-fi grunge cul-de-sac but this album has a lot of great pop on it, delivered with a snarl. Nice peach, too.

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

11 Tonight Alive - Temple

Big bold pop rock from Aus group.
                                    [youtube:39t408s9]4Xf0jQSP83I[/youtube:39t408s9]

11 Plumb - Beautifully Broken

After some lacklustre CCM-radio tailored releases she thankfully got her crossover pop head back on for this album.

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

10 Shy For Shore - Breaking My Heart

My Christmas number one - a synthpop gem and a surprise return for the duo after Mari did her solo project.
                                      [youtube:1wkpuxab]e8lF7PXeqxM[/youtube:1wkpuxab]

10 Andrew WK - You're Not Alone

More consistent than his other albums, Def Lep, Meat Loaf, Bruce, Queen are all in effect on this bombastic ode to positivity from The King Of Partying. Like Massive Wagons, out of fashion for radio but a cult fanbase.

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

9 Rufus Du Sol - Lost In My Mind

Great video - armchair action!
                                        [youtube:nzhhtwka]1Vbtj7nIQlo[/youtube:nzhhtwka]

9 Tonight Alive - Underworld

SPOTIFY

Comment

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

8 Kim Petras - Heart To Break

Discovered her on Charli's Pop 2, the transgender pop singer had some controv. over her (producer) Dr Luke statements (jury's out on him, though). This is great pop and better than anything Katy Perry has done, though not Marina.
                                          [youtube:2rnh5v06]5CPeHQHAQyo[/youtube:2rnh5v06]

8 Nothing - Dance On The Blacktop

You could say this act restored my faith in hard rock as an album form. Shoegaze via grunge plus their spin.

SPOTIFY

Comment

SONGS
                                            8 Kim Petras - Heart To Break - Kim is such a mixed bag for me (those lil aaron duets, ew), ''Heart To Break'' is nice and pop and relies mostly on Kim's high-pitched hook in the chorus (sounds great). Maybe it would have clicked with me with a better mid 8 part.
                                            9 Rufus Du Sol - Lost In My Mind - I've only just realized his voice sounds Chris Martin-ish at times. Solid entry and a very entertaining music video.
                                            ALBUMS
                                            8 Nothing - Dance On The Blacktop - a good one most definitely
                                            10 Andrew WK - You're Not Alone - I have problems with positivity in rock songs. to me any positivity seems cheesy (but that's just me)

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
                                              SONGS
                                              9 Rufus Du Sol - Lost In My Mind - I've only just realized his voice sounds Chris Martin-ish at times. Solid entry and a very entertaining music video.
                                              It's been a conversation in the past. You said it's a reason you don't like his "nasally" voice. Kuba took umbrage at my suggestion that he/they sound like Martin/Coldplay being a fan of both but it's clear as the nose on your face (or ears on your head!).

I need to clarify my Kim comment - it's better than any SINGLE by Katy Perry. Several Prism album tracks could outdo it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini
                                                Originally posted by heppolo
                                                SONGS
                                                It's been a conversation in the past. You said it's a reason you don't like his "nasally" voice. Kuba took umbrage at my suggestion that he/they sound like Martin/Coldplay being a fan of both but it's clear as the nose on your face (or ears on your head!). .
                                                I don't remember this at all
                                                In some songs his vocal is too understated beneath the beat (or distorted), so I wasn't paying too much attention [at times it sounds like GusGus - ''Sundream''].

Comment

Great to see 'Chris' - it is a fabulous album from a fabulous artist. 'Slow Burn' is a seriously beautiful track, from a 2018 revelation for me - who'd think that I'd be into a country album as much as I am!!
                                                  Rufus du Sol are great, really got into them while I was in Australia

Comment

^That's great to hear. I'm confident that most people'd like RDS if they had/gave them the chance. Mike should have them as his album of the year. I have to listen to their older ones, still (the act formerly just Rufus).

TONY'S TOP HITS OF 2018

7 Millie Turner - The Shadow / Underwater VIDEO / Eyes On You / You and I (Eyes On You EP)

Her 2018 single is at 74. This 2017 release features 2 great dance-pop tracks, The Shadow has a stunning pulsing beat behind her posh vocal - shades of Marina at one point. My top "Sound Of 2019" UK act.
                                                    [youtube:qk8r2qrz]CHcZ6Ou0Bx4[/youtube:qk8r2qrz]

7 Rufus Du Sol - Solace

SPOTIFY

Comment

Working...
                                                    X