X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeP
    Superstar
    • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by Thriller
    Strangers, Lullaby and Play are absolute bops.

Twice, Tell Me It’s Over and Waking Up are all rousing in their own way.
    I'm a big fan of the bops and equally love the more rousing/emotional songs too. The best of both worlds. <3

Comment

• JakeP
      Superstar
      • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tansike
      Thanks for reminding me of those - I'm quite sure I've already asked back when "Love Wins" (or "The Champion") made it onto your Top20 but I couldn't remember... so yeah, nice to hear my favorite album of Carrie spawned three entries on your charts!
      Ah, but the Halsey part was something I didn't know! "Without Me" her first ever hit as a solo artist But are you familiar with some of her solo singles, such as "Bad At Love" or "Now Or Never"?
      My favourite Carrie single is still Jesus take the wheel even though it wasn't a hit anywhere apart from America. Although thinking about it, i must've only discovered the song via YouTube when the website first started growing in popularity.

I don't think i've ever heard Bad at love whereas i vaguely remember listening to Now or never and struggling to really get into that song. It might explain why i was so reluctant to check out further Halsey singles. A similar thing happened with Hailee Steinfeld where i'd heard Love myself on YouTube but it failed to click with me so i had no desire to check out further singles including Starving but eventually i checked it out and ended up loving that song much more than i'd anticipated.

How come? I know Sam already got a few hits for you and so did Calvin... same for many people actually, which is why I was surprised when so many people weren't sure what to expect. So glad they delivered. Sam is so underrated

True! "Baby" has been on so many countdown, very well deserved of course!
      Maybe it depends on my mood but in general i doubt i could listen to a whole album of Sam Smith's vocals. He's clearly a really good singer but it's just his tone, especially his falsetto in songs like Money on my mind make me cringe. I can't abide that song because of Sam's vocals in the chorus. :x That's mainly the reason i'm never really sure what to expect from a new Sam Smith related song. Wow, i really wouldn't describe Sam Smith as underrated. He's far too established and successful to be classed as underrated imo. If anything, one could argue that he's overrated (there's that word again).

Baby is officially one of 2018's pop nuggets that brought the majority of UK Mix together. <3

Oh, interesting to see Sigrid's "Strangers" appearing for a second year - that's quite impressive! Did this happen before?
      Good for her and deserved, it's such a bop and I'm starting to get excited about her debut album now.
      It's down to the way i like to compile my year end charts. It's to allow songs at the end of the year to have a fair balance over songs from the start of the year. So if i song is riding high in my chart in December, then still riding high in January it'll be reflected. There's actually been quite a large number of singles that appeared in two year end charts because of this (Adele Hello was #1 in 2015 and #47 in 2016, Madonna's Ghosttown was #37 in 2014 and #10 in 2015). I'm liking her new single Don't feel like crying.

Surprising appearances for Avril, Christina and John. I didn't know "Tell Me It's Over" already made such a good impression on you. I'd still rank it behind "Head Above Water" and also behind most of her previous singles, it's still ok though. I hope the album release will make me liking it more.
      "Twice" is great and one of the better songs on "Liberation", I just didn't know it did so well for you. Similar situation with John, I liked this song but had no idea it did so well for you
      I loved Tell me it's over from the first listen so it did really well in my chart and got off to a flying start. Of course it's lower than Head above water which is still to come. When songs peak high (i.e. top 3) i take into account how long the songs remain in my chart, the more weeks they remain high up the better in the long run, plus how much i listened to the song whilst its in my chart is also a big factor. Like last year P!nk sneaked into my top 100 of 2017 with I am here but it only spent one week in my chart at #4 - it just happened to get enough plays in one week to still make my year end chart.

"Play" doesn't do much for me yet, but I'm happy to see this becoming a hit in the UK now because of Years & Years.
      I'm loving seeing Play finally crack the UK top 10. It was another instant love for me. <3

Comment

• king_oxymoron
        Legend
        • 04 Apr 2003

Re: JakeP Top 100 of 2018

Play totally bangs, it's subtle as hell but also... completely HUGE?
        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• JakeP
          Superstar
          • 19 Aug 2013

45. Sofia Reyes featuring Jason Derulo & De La Ghetto - 1,2,3

At #45 it's Sofia Reyes who i discovered thanks to YouTube's recommends list. The thumbnail caught my attention so i thought i'd give it a listen out of curiosity and ended up loving the track. 1,2,3 is one of those cheeky playful songs with the type of chorus that you hear once and its stuck in your head.

The track also features Jason Derulo who has usually been quite hit n' miss in my chart (well, i prefer his poppier hits more than his urban hits) and as such this became his highest charting single in my chart since his Little Mix collaboration Secret love song topped my chart. Then there's De La Ghetto who i wasn't familiar with but his parts of the track were reminiscent of Daddy Yankee's parts in Despacito. All in all this became one of my early summer anthems of 2018.

[youtube:1r8bd1ee]p03TIGqEc8o[/youtube:1r8bd1ee]

Comment

• JakeP
            Superstar
            • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
            Play totally bangs, it's subtle as hell but also... completely HUGE?
            That's a really good description actually. It really does bang in the most subtle of ways.

Comment

• JakeP
              Superstar
              • 19 Aug 2013

44. Pnau - Go bang

...and speaking of bangs! I swear this is purely co-incidental.

So at #44 it's Pnau who caught my attention after they scored a top 10 hit in their homeland of Australia. I checked out the music video on YouTube and instantly loved the track. It certainly impacted harder on me than their previous single Chameleon which failed to enter my top 20. Go bang provided Pnau with their second hit in my chart following the success of Changes (#4 in 2013 + 2014)

[youtube:2y0oabmj]OLzQX8OIWhg[/youtube:2y0oabmj]

Comment

• JakeP
                Superstar
                • 19 Aug 2013

43. Years & Years - If you’re over me

Yes, i'm fully aware that If you're over me wasn't the most popular single with several UK Mixers but this ended up becoming a firm favourite of mine. The track started off relatively decently and then successfully kept up the pace before settling at #4 a few weeks after first entering my chart. The longevity alone makes this Years & Years' most successful hit in my chart in 2018 even though at one point i did state that Palo santo was my favourite song on the album.

Once i took everything into account to compile my year end countdown, it was clear to see which Years & Years track had the most overall impact on me.

Plus, that YouTube thumbnail...

[youtube:n4e3qxyw]niviooakBLs[/youtube:n4e3qxyw]

Comment

• JakeP
                  Superstar
                  • 19 Aug 2013

42. Kylie Minogue - Sincerely yours

Time for a bit more Kylie. The third of six appearance for Ms Minogue is Sincerely yours at #42. I bought Golden on the Friday evening when it was released and spent rather a lot of my free time listening to the album. I was loving the album as a whole although my favourites did seem to change initially from one day to the next.

However, when i came to compile that chart in April it was this track that resonated with me the most out of all the album tracks that i'd discovered throughout that particular week. Sincerely yours entered my chart at #2 in a rare week where my entire top 5 consisted of Kylie (Adele being the only other artist to have achieved this feat). I adored everything about this track, it was an instant highlight and i equally loved that this wasn't heavily influenced by country music and instead was quite simply an irresistible pop gem. <3

[youtube:2te04djy]rEWpi6vOnuk[/youtube:2te04djy]

Comment

• JakeP
                    Superstar
                    • 19 Aug 2013

41.The Chainsmokers featuring Emily Warren - Side effects

The Chainsmokers released an amazing track and it bombed. Go figure! :-? :evil: :x

Back in August, The Chainsmokers treated us to this amazing disco flavoured pop bop featuring Emily Warren on vocal duty. Thankfully the guy in the group didn't spoil the song by adding his own vocals. The single got off to a strong start and built on its momentum peaking at #3 in its second week on the chart.

The music video was released a couple of weeks later and whilst it was ok for what it was, a part of me was nonetheless underwhelmed. Regardless, the strength of the song was all i needed to make me love Side effects.

[youtube:iwvcmdcm]nuckTcoZG4Q[/youtube:iwvcmdcm]

Comment

• Carbon
                      Legend
                      • 19 Jul 2013

If You're Over Me was such a random little hit for them, weird as I think they've released better from this era

Comment

• JakeP
                        Superstar
                        • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by Carbon
                        If You're Over Me was such a random little hit for them, weird as I think they've released better from this era
                        I'm not surprised it became so successful. It was a lot more radio friendly than Sanctify so i suspect If you're over me just happened to appeal to a wider audience. It was a favourite of mine despite the fact Palo santo peaked one place higher, it didn't have the same staying power overall in my chart.

Comment

• JakeP
                          Superstar
                          • 19 Aug 2013

40. Lady Gaga - I’ll never love again

Lady Gaga gets my top 40 of 2018 underway with the absolute tearjerker ballad I'll never love again. For those who haven't seen A star is born, this incredibly emotional vocal performance at the films climax is quite comfortably one of its biggest highlights. The tracks on the soundtrack make so much more sense within the context of the film. Otherwise you hear I'll never love again start with the sound of sobbing and heavy breathing and i could imagine people thinking "wtf?".

It's one of Lady Gaga's finest musical moments from her entire career - and she's not exactly short on these either. For me, casting Lady Gaga in the role of Ally couldn't have been more perfect and it just further emphasised just what an incredible singer and songwriter she is.

Lady Gaga still has her 2019 golden globes best original song still to come...

[youtube:l94cphi5]52nfjRzIaj8[/youtube:l94cphi5]

Comment

• JakeP
                            Superstar
                            • 19 Aug 2013

39. Martin Garrix featuring Khalid - Ocean

Martin Garrix scores his only entry in my year end chart at #39 with the rather dreamy Ocean. The song title really couldn't be more perfect and well suited as this is such a chilled relaxing song to listen to. Some will say it's boring, but for me i found this track to be really charming. Seeing Martin Garrix becoming more of a hitmaker has been something of a revelation for me. I would never have expected to see Martin producing songs like this five years ago. There's no denying his producing skills have continued to mature over the last couple of years which i really admire (he could've just remained doing more tracks like Animals ).

Then of course there's Khalid whose vocals float over the tender backing music so beautifully. Plus it can't be denied Khalid sure likes to get around doesn't he? Ocean marks his third appearance in my top 100 of 2018 so far and he's still got one more entry still to come.

[youtube:3fw3vq9u]BDocp-VpCwY[/youtube:3fw3vq9u]

Comment

• JakeP
                              Superstar
                              • 19 Aug 2013

38. Dua Lipa - Homesick

Ohh the consistency! Dua Lipa was my #35 of 2017 and now finishes #38 in my chart of 2018 with the stunningly beautiful Homesick. A track discovered right here in UK Mix's pop forum where i checked out the song, got a moment when i realised Chris Martin was involved in the writing of the song and provided backing vocals. Homesick shot up to #1 so fast in December 2017 and coming into January this song returned to #1 because i was still loving it so much.

A truly wonderful song, i'm not surprised it was never pushed as a single in the UK. It would never have been as successful as IDGAF here but nonetheless for me this is a far superior song. <3

[youtube:1p6aoiub]RLlZHvAcUxM[/youtube:1p6aoiub]

Comment

• JakeP
                                Superstar
                                • 19 Aug 2013

37. Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid

We've already seen Sigala at #53 with Lullaby and now he gets his highest placed entry in my chart of 2018 with Just got paid. If there's one thing Sigala can guarantee it's the definition of uplifting feel good music, the type of songs that make me smile and wanna start bopping - even if that means bopping in my chair. On paper it seemed like the most unlikely of collaborations but the track just worked so amazingly well - this is what the summer should sound like.

[youtube:hdeohrcf]HUJGwSy0pRI[/youtube:hdeohrcf]

Comment

• JakeP
                                  Superstar
                                  • 19 Aug 2013

36. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier

Ever since Silence became his breakthrough single in 2017, Marshmello went from strength to strength throughout 2018 with more success and global hits keeping on coming. Happier is the first of two entries for Marshmello whilst its the only time we'll see Bastille in this countdown. It became another of those unusual collaborations that looked odd on paper but combined these guys struck gold. The music video was all kinds of ironic - how many tears were shed in 4 minutes considering the song title - well they could be happy tears! But getting iCarly star Miranda Cosgrove in the video was a major coup to ensure plenty of airplay on the music channels.

[youtube:18mk3seg]m7Bc3pLyij0[/youtube:18mk3seg]

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                    Moderator and Site Supporter
                                    • 24 Jul 2009

"Tell Me It's Over" is okay. "Twice" is brilliant! It's a classic Christina ballad, but doesn't sound like a rehash of any of her previous masterpieces. It's fresh and contemporary, with all the melodramatic fittings you'd want from an X-Tina love song.

"Play" is quality pop. That's a powerful thumbnail for "If You're Over Me" indeed! It's perhaps the track's only redeeming quality.

"I'll Never Love Again" is a huge emotional climax. I don't think anyone will ever doubt or question Gaga's skills as a balladeer after this Star Is Born era. "Ocean" is lovely. I like Khalid's falsetto.

"Just Got Paid" is good stuff. Hope certain US federal workers will be able to bop to this song again soon. "Happier" is good.
                                    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [45-41]
                                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Cruel Summer (x13)
                                    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. Justin Timberlake]
                                    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Janet Jackson vs. Shania Twain vs. Alanis Morissette]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• king_oxymoron
                                      Legend
                                      • 04 Apr 2003

There are many songs here that landed at really similar places here as in my chart.. Happier, Just Got Paid and Ocean are really good to see.. I too am really happy to see Martin making hits after all these years, and in a different style.

Side Effects is that bop.. how it flopped I just do not know.

If You're Over Me is cute but not one of the best on the album for me, but yes... that thumbnail...
                                      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• JakeP
                                        Superstar
                                        • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                        "Tell Me It's Over" is okay. "Twice" is brilliant! It's a classic Christina ballad, but doesn't sound like a rehash of any of her previous masterpieces. It's fresh and contemporary, with all the melodramatic fittings you'd want from an X-Tina love song.

"Play" is quality pop. That's a powerful thumbnail for "If You're Over Me" indeed! It's perhaps the track's only redeeming quality.

"I'll Never Love Again" is a huge emotional climax. I don't think anyone will ever doubt or question Gaga's skills as a balladeer after this Star Is Born era. "Ocean" is lovely. I like Khalid's falsetto.

"Just Got Paid" is good stuff. Hope certain US federal workers will be able to bop to this song again soon. "Happier" is good.
                                        I was quite surprised at the lukewarm reception for Tell me it's over and really thought it would've been more warmly received. Your description for Twice is so accurate, you just know had it been released in 2003 it would've possibly been a #1 hit. I miss the 00s.

Yay! More love for Play it's just a really uplifting song and Jax Jones knows his way around a pop/house hybrid anthem. Ouch, the shade. The SHADE! I better put my sunglasses back on. lol Aww but i still enjoyed If you're over me so much.

There really is no other way to describe I'll never love again. The perfect song, the perfect vocal performance and the perfect moment in the film. Yet i'm still kinda astonished that the song didn't resonate more with the public, well based on iTunes alone i don't think the song ever did peak high but i suppose it really was overshadowed by Shallow.

Khalid is an amazing vocalist. He's got such a distinct style and i love that he's a real one off rather than having clones of other male singers trying to sound like Khalid. Authentic = amazing. I also agree and was quite surprised at how mellow Khalid's falsetto is as i've heard other male singers do falsetto that's left me wincing and cringing.

Urgh that whole situation in America is absolutely ridiculous. I'm glad i don't live there. What absolute nonsense with Donald Trump. :x

Originally posted by king_oxymoron
                                        There are many songs here that landed at really similar places here as in my chart.. Happier, Just Got Paid and Ocean are really good to see.. I too am really happy to see Martin making hits after all these years, and in a different style.

Side Effects is that bop.. how it flopped I just do not know.

If You're Over Me is cute but not one of the best on the album for me, but yes... that thumbnail...
                                        I need to re-read your chart again and see just how similar the positions are for several tracks. We've clearly got amazing taste! I adore Martin Garrix, i think he's such a handsome guy and i love his upbeat personality. <3 His biggest hit for me remains Scared to be lonely so i'm curious to see if he can at least match that quality with any future singles.

LOL i think we can safely say Side effects for too good for the average Spotify streamer.

Haha well surely i'm not the only one who is fascinated by that pose and the blatant tight ass sticking out on top.

Comment

• JakeP
                                          Superstar
                                          • 19 Aug 2013

35. Little Mix - The cure

As someone who has been a big fan of Little Mix ever since they were on The x factor, i can't deny how underwhelmed i was with the release of LM5. The qualities that made both Get weird and Glory days such amazing albums had suddenly disappeared with this album imo.

However, it wasn't a total disaster as the girls still included a small handful of gems on the album. The cure was quite comfortably my absolute favourite of the tracks i checked out on YouTube and even now i'm really unsure why this seems to have been overlooked completely as a potential hit single.

Regardless, The cure was much more in line with what i hoped for from new Little Mix material and as such this track made it all the way to #2 back in November.

[youtube:2ujjldl2]BHhiOta0BJE[/youtube:2ujjldl2]

Comment

Working...