Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapthrills' Cheap 2010s Countdown - COMPLETED

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comment


    • "Somebody That I Used to Know" is extremely relatable, but I've always viewed it as just barely above average.

      Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      Lights is still a go-to for me. What do you think made it take so long, Akini?
      I think I just have selectively stubborn ears.
      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

      Comment


      • Hated Gotye at the time, donít mind it so much now.
        THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

        Comment


        • Sting featuring Katy Perry...! that would be interesting.
          I liked 'Somebody That I Used To Know', not one of my favorites, but definitely a song that I would think of when I think of the 2010s...

          Comment


          • Had a Listen to that Zedd/Bahari one. The start gives me echoes of 'Spectrum''s backing music. That build up to the drop... I could visualise this being a good mash up partner with Gaga's Swine maybe?

            This is the True Colours era right, I love I Just Want You To Know (ft. Selena Gomez) is a jam.
            UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

            Comment


            • In the context of those #1 hits on the big charts (UK, US, Germany, Australia, France, etc.), "Somebody That I Used To Know" is actually one of the best chart-toppers 2010s has to offer.
              Waffles are checked cookies

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                "Somebody That I Used to Know" is extremely relatable, but I've always viewed it as just barely above average.

                I think I just have selectively stubborn ears.
                Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                Hated Gotye at the time, donít mind it so much now.
                Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                Sting featuring Katy Perry...! that would be interesting.
                I liked 'Somebody That I Used To Know', not one of my favorites, but definitely a song that I would think of when I think of the 2010s...
                Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                In the context of those #1 hits on the big charts (UK, US, Germany, Australia, France, etc.), "Somebody That I Used To Know" is actually one of the best chart-toppers 2010s has to offer.
                Such mixed reactions to Gotye I'm surprised - it feels like that song was universally adored when it was popular. It was certainly played to death. It was my #1 song for 2012. Other than Gotye, 2012 did pretty poorly on this list - only 7 songs from that year made the cut, the least of any year. But as far as #1s in the US that year, it, along with We Are Young, and Call Me Maybe were massive.

                Speaking of which, [MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION] - I have my stubborn moments too and Carly Rae is a good example. It was weeks into Call Me Maybe being #1 that I even charted it and while it hit #1, it was a quick little hit, and disappeared. Even today, I haven't given her much of a chance for no good reason.

                Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                Had a Listen to that Zedd/Bahari one. The start gives me echoes of 'Spectrum''s backing music. That build up to the drop... I could visualise this being a good mash up partner with Gaga's Swine maybe?

                This is the True Colours era right, I love I Just Want You To Know (ft. Selena Gomez) is a jam.
                Yes, it was! Side story: A friend of a friend entered a contest promotion and won - she got to go to every concert he had in the US (there were ten or so), and got VIP accommodations at each one. True Colors had some great tracks on it - Beautiful Now (with Jon Bellion) was one I charted, and Papercut (with Troye Sivan) was one I didn't, but still love. I'll have to check out Swine again to imagine the mash-up!

                Comment


                • Comment


                  • Comment


                    • Comment


                      • "That Girl" is a beautiful song, like almost every single by The Noisettes.
                        Waffles are checked cookies

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                          "That Girl" is a beautiful song, like almost every single by The Noisettes.
                          Me too. I was so disappointed they stopped recording together. I loved Coming Home by Shingai this year, but I really crave a return to her music with the group.

                          Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                          I wish we could have that old Ellie back and not this current imposter.

                          Gotye / Kimbra great.
                          None of Ellie's singles this year really connected with me, though a couple made it outside the top ten of my chart, so I guess I have to agree.

                          Comment


                          • God is a woman is THAT SONG! Love it and Ariana so much!
                            She is probably one of my top artists of the decade

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                              Timing is really everything! And I think it was Poker Face which managed to just grab a quick week at #1 between two huge multi-week #1s. And Toxic is by far my fave thing Brit has ever done, but the way the charts were then, she ended up being lucky to even get top ten with it.
                              **Nod** So true. At first glance, a No. 9 Hot 100 peak for "Toxic" seems utterly blasphemous, but a dance/pop track like that reaching the Top 10 amidst the VERY Hip-Hop-and-R&B-dominated early/mid-2000's was actually a major triumph (and the highest Brit had climbed since "Oops!").

                              Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                              Dua's top ten songs of the decade on my chart
                              Many thanks for sharing that list! I'm pretty sure "Blow Your Mind" was the first Dua song I ever checked out, but I was so unimpressed that I put her back on the shelf until "Scared To Be Lonely" inspired me to give her another chance. If only I'd had the sense to check out "Hotter Than Hell" first, I would've hopped on the Dua hype train much sooner!

                              Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                              The Weeknd also had the biggest drop from #1 of all time, and that record will probably be surpassed by Mariah, though she'll be back next year. "It was a crazy year for Billboard #1s.
                              Not gonna lie, I'm not feeling "Heartless" at all, so I was pretty pleased to see it take that record-setting tumble.

                              • Thrilled that Ellie landed so high here, and her Stateside breakthrough is an excellent pick! It's her second-most-Scrobbled song in my library (behind LMLYD).
                              • Woah, what a gorgeous analogy for the transition from sales -> streaming in your "Hello" blurb!
                              • I don't think I've heard the Kimbra - Katy comparison before, but it'll be on my mind anytime I hear that song from now on Ditto for Gotye - Sting!
                              • GIAW was a mixed experience for me: on one hand, it was exciting to see lots of people flocking to revere Ari for the first time, but I just wasn't as enthralled by this particular track. Like you said, the title really packs a punch, but the actual song doesn't quite live up to it/fulfill that mission for me. The majority of the track just feels like a perfectly fine (but not earth-shattering) sex jam, and Ari had taken on a commanding role in sexually-charged songs/bragged about her sexual prowess before. My own tepid response aside, though, it was undoubtedly a very significant point in her career and elevated her to a whole 'nother level of artistic legitimacy in many people's eyes, setting the stage for her biggest smashes yet.
                              last.fm

                              Comment


                              • Now this is a batch!

                                "That Girl" is solid soul-pop! I've not explored Noisettes' discography, but the few tracks I've heard have all been great.

                                I'm not at liberty to say too much about "Higher Love" just yet, but I will say that Kygo did a much better job than expected with bringing Whitney's vocals to a 2019 audience.

                                One of the wildest decisions I've ever had to make was ranking "God Is a Woman" #2 on my 2018 year-end countdown. I feel like it covers every single base for what makes a song truly outstanding for me. I said before it was her "Like a Prayer" moment, and I stand by that. She did the damn thing with both the song and its brilliant video. I probably shouldn't say this right now, but expect big things from it on my decade-end list.
                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                Comment


                                • "Higher Love" was a nice surprise this year. I am way too late to the party, as always, but I really want to dig deeper in Whitney's discography in 2020. I only know the hits (obviously) and the MLIYL + ILTY albums. 'Higher Love' sparked my interest in it but being busy all year, I never took the time to listen to her earlier albums (in full).

                                  "God Is A Woman" is absolutely amazing! I think I'd put this in my Top 5 Ariana Grande songs.

                                  Comment


                                  • Wish Noisettes would make another album!

                                    Higher Love is beaut.
                                    THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                      Not gonna lie, I'm not feeling "Heartless" at all, so I was pretty pleased to see it take that record-setting tumble.
                                      Me neither - but I really like Blinding Lights! Too bad that isn't the one that went #1.

                                      Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                      ē Thrilled that Ellie landed so high here, and her Stateside breakthrough is an excellent pick! It's her second-most-Scrobbled song in my library (behind LMLYD).
                                      Lights was such a grower for me. I remember hearing it on the radio and thinking oh this is cute. Radio had to play it a few times for me to realize what a bop it was. I am forever, forever, forever bitter that that trash song Whistle blocked it from #1.


                                      Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                      ē GIAW was a mixed experience for me: on one hand, it was exciting to see lots of people flocking to revere Ari for the first time, but I just wasn't as enthralled by this particular track. Like you said, the title really packs a punch, but the actual song doesn't quite live up to it/fulfill that mission for me. The majority of the track just feels like a perfectly fine (but not earth-shattering) sex jam, and Ari had taken on a commanding role in sexually-charged songs/bragged about her sexual prowess before. My own tepid response aside, though, it was undoubtedly a very significant point in her career and elevated her to a whole 'nother level of artistic legitimacy in many people's eyes, setting the stage for her biggest smashes yet.
                                      I'm trying to think if I've ever had an artist I adored, and then the song that won over a lot of people wasn't a favorite. I feel like that must have happened to me because I sympathize with what you're saying, even though I'm stunned that GIAW is not a fave for you.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        Now this is a batch!
                                        Maybe I should just stop here then - I don't know that any other batch will live up to it

                                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        "That Girl" is solid soul-pop! I've not explored Noisettes' discography, but the few tracks I've heard have all been great.
                                        They had five singles total on my chart - four went to #1, and one went to #2 - a solid record. I'm not sure why they stopped recording. I think the album on which That Girl appeared didn't do that great in sales unfortunately.

                                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        I'm not at liberty to say too much about "Higher Love" just yet, but I will say that Kygo did a much better job than expected with bringing Whitney's vocals to a 2019 audience.
                                        Well, I just checked your countdown!

                                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        One of the wildest decisions I've ever had to make was ranking "God Is a Woman" #2 on my 2018 year-end countdown. I feel like it covers every single base for what makes a song truly outstanding for me. I said before it was her "Like a Prayer" moment, and I stand by that. She did the damn thing with both the song and its brilliant video. I probably shouldn't say this right now, but expect big things from it on my decade-end list.
                                        I was shocked she wasn't #1 on your list, but she lost out to her own song, so I had a hard time being upset with that. GIAW was my #2 last year. Interestingly, both songs with 8 weeks at #1 (Blurred Lines is the other) were #2 in their year. The one blocking Blurred Lines is in the next batch, and the one blocking GIAW is still to come.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                                          "Higher Love" was a nice surprise this year. I am way too late to the party, as always, but I really want to dig deeper in Whitney's discography in 2020. I only know the hits (obviously) and the MLIYL + ILTY albums. 'Higher Love' sparked my interest in it but being busy all year, I never took the time to listen to her earlier albums (in full).
                                          Well, if you need help, let me know Whitney is my favorite (I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't know about Higher Love before, but I'm glad too because then it felt like a new song.), but I have tons of non-single favorites from her. I should make a plan to do a Whitney countdown next year.

                                          Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                                          "God Is A Woman" is absolutely amazing! I think I'd put this in my Top 5 Ariana Grande songs.
                                          It really is - it just seeps in so smoothly. When I get a moment, I'll post my top ten favorite Ari songs of the decade.

                                          Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                          Wish Noisettes would make another album!

                                          Higher Love is beaut.
                                          You and me both! I can't tell you how many google searches I've done over the years to see what they were up to. I guess I should be grateful Shingai released anything at all, but four songs (two of them of no interest to me) was just not fulfilling at all.

                                          Comment


                                          • Comment


                                            • Comment


                                              • Comment


                                                • Now that we've reached the top ten, I have three top ten lists to close things out - I'll post one per day!

                                                  The most weeks at #1 today, the most #1 songs tomorrow, and the top 10 albums of the decade on New Year's Day.

                                                  The tiebreaker for most weeks at #1 is most #1 songs. Kacey Musgraves made this list with the final chart of the decade.

                                                  I've dispensed with the pictures and videos as that made for a huge post. The uncharted song is the highest charting song by them that did not make the countdown (not necessarily a #1 song).

                                                  Most weeks at #1s this decade

                                                  Artist Total #1s Uncharted Song
                                                  Adele 37 I'll Be Waiting
                                                  Ariana Grande 25 Break Free
                                                  Lady Gaga 25 Applause
                                                  Janelle MonŠe 23 Pynk
                                                  Sia 22 Puppies Are Forever
                                                  Eminem 16 Not Afraid
                                                  Coldplay 14 Paradise
                                                  Rihanna 14 Princess of China
                                                  Aloe Blacc 12 Counting On Me
                                                  Kacey Musgraves 10
                                                  Space Cowboy

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Oh I can’t bear Forget You anymore. Titanium and Get Lucky are definitely defining 10s songs.
                                                    THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Another hugely impressive set!

                                                      "Get Lucky" is a funky earworm. Its replay value knows no end. "Forget You" is even more fun in its Rated R form. Terrific song that!

                                                      "Titanium" is the standout of the batch...and countdown. It is a brilliant, soaring vocal that serves as the ultimate warrior anthem.
                                                      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                        Oh I can’t bear Forget You anymore. Titanium and Get Lucky are definitely defining 10s songs.
                                                        What??? Obviously my response is to direct you to the explicit version of Cee Lo's song

                                                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                        Another hugely impressive set!

                                                        "Get Lucky" is a funky earworm. Its replay value knows no end. "Forget You" is even more fun in its Rated R form. Terrific song that!

                                                        "Titanium" is the standout of the batch...and countdown. It is a brilliant, soaring vocal that serves as the ultimate warrior anthem.
                                                        I agonized about Titanium missing the top 10. It was such a tough call for me. Get Lucky was the song that held out Blurred Lines for #1 in 2013, meaning Pharrell was featured on my top two songs of that year!

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Comment

                                                          Working...
                                                          X