No announcement yet.

Cheapthrills' Cheap 2010s Countdown - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still think Bad Romance holds up well.
    Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (15th Feb 20) - Cam, Polly Scattergood, Cerrone, Blanche, Seth Lakeman, La Roux

Comment

• I've always found "Problem" to be overrated. And "King"...and "Cheap Thrills".

Problem - I love Ari's vocals on this, but her enunciation is awful. Also, the Iggy verse doesn't do as much for me as it does for you.

King - I've never gotten why this is so beloved. Melodically, lyrically, visually, Y&Y did much better with "Sanctify".

Cheap Thrills - I said I think it's overrated, and I do, but that's only because her heavyweights ("Titanium", "Chandelier", "The Greatest") didn't see the success this did. The message is great, the melody is infectious, and I have a solid appreciation for it, but it's sometimes peculiar to me the songs the GP will make explode from an artist. I felt similarly about "Work" and Rihanna is practically my musical heartstring.
      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

• 'King' is a really great song, probably my favourite from Years & Years. Not a big fan of 'Problem' - it has aged pretty badly in my opinion!

Comment

• Happy new year, everyone! I hope you rang out the decade with a bang, or at least in a way you enjoyed.

This countdown was the soundtrack to my New Year's Eve! I had posted this countdown on Facebook, and a friend of mine asked if I could make a Spotify list for it. She joined Spotify just to get the playlist. Turns out she wanted to use it for her New Year's party.

And the first song I heard of the new year? Well, of course... it was Cheap Thrills

Anyhow, here is my first post of the new decade! The top albums of the 2010s, determined by the performance of the singles on my chart. Adele, Bruno Mars, and Nicki Minaj all had two albums that yielded four top ten songs. And Bruno is the only artist in history to have done so with three albums, even though he just barely made the cut for one of them here. The uncharted song is a song from the album that made my chart, but not the countdown.

Top Albums of the decade

Artist/Album Songs Uncharted Song
          Adele - 21
          Rolling in the Deep #1
          Set Fire to the Rain - #1
          Someone Like You - #1
          Rumour Has It - #1
          Turning Tables - #1
          I'll Be Waiting - #1
          Love Song - #7
          Love Song
          Janelle Mone - Dirty Computer
          Make Me Feel - #1
          PYNK - #3
          I Like That - #1
          Americans - #2
          Screwed - #8
          Screwed
          Lady Gaga - Born This Way
          Born This Way - #1
          Judas - #5
          The Edge of Glory - #4
          Scheie - #1
          Yo and I - #4
          Marry the Night - #7
          Yo and I
          Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa
          Be The One - #1
          Hotter Than Hell - #1
          Blow Your Mind (Mwah!) - #1
          New Rules - #2
          Homesick - #2
          IDGAF - #13
          Homesick
          Jack Savoretti - Singing to Strangers
          Candlelight - #1
          Love is on the Line - #3
          Symmetry - #1
          Youth and Love - #2
          Christmas Morning - #2
          Youth and Love
          Ariana Grande - My Everything
          Problem - #1
          Break Free - #1
          Bang Bang - #1
          Love Me Harder - #2
          One Last Time - #12
          One Last Time
          Lily Allen - Sheezus
          Somewhere Only We Know - #1
          Hard Out Here - #1
          Air Balloon - #3
          Our Time - #9
          Sheezus - #7
          Our Time
          Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
          California Gurls - #2
          Teenage Dream - #9
          Firework - #1
          E.T. - #4
          Last Friday Night (TGIF) - #8
          The One That Got Away - #6
          Last Friday Night (TGIF)
          Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops and Hooligans
          Just the Way You Are - #2
          Grenade - #2
          The Lazy Song - #4
          Runaway Baby - #1
          The Lazy Song
          Years & Years - Communion
          King - #1
          Desire - #3
          Shine - #1
          Eyes Shut - #8
          Eyes Shut

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
            "Lights" reaching No. 2 exceeded my wildest dreams for Ellie in the States, but the fact that Flo Rida still (somehow) had that much chart clout in mid-2012 was...hard to swallow. Granted, maybe we should blame Sia a bit for helping to make "Wild Ones" such a hit and setting the stage for "Whistle"s domination.
            How dare you blame Sia

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
            I always associate "Titanium" with Akini now, since it's been one of the biggest/most enduring hits on his daily chart throughout the past decade. Personally, I'm slightly more inclined toward "She Wolf" (as far as Guetta + Sia collabos go), but like you mentioned, "Titanium" was undoubtedly a major career-changing moment for her.
            I love whenever Akini charts Titanium - obviously, I love it too - I feel like I should just have had made #10 a tie so Sia could be in the top ten with it Having two Sia songs in the top ten just felt like less diversity than I could handle.

Although Adele holds a very healthy lead, I'm still thrilled that Ari ranks No. 2 for most weeks at No. 1 (though Gaga could easily pull ahead if we actually get an album from her next year...)
            Gaga is ahead in overall weeks since she had her The Fame album in the previous decade (Just Dance, Poker Face, LoveGame), so Ari still has some catching up to do, but I think it's within her For the decade, 2018 was kind of a see-saw because Ari pulled ahead with God is a Woman, and then Shallow came just a couple months later to tie things up.

Speaking of Gaga, I'm all for you celebrating "Bad Romance" here - release date technicalities be damned. She continued to be a defining pop force throughout much of the 2010's, and representing that impact here with her peak moment seems perfectly apt. This felt like the moment when the entire world was fascinated by and rooting for her.
            I think I can defend Bad Romance pretty well for this decade (well, last decade now!) 2010 WAS Gaga and Bad Romance was a huge part of it.

I won't regurgitate too much of my GIAW response, but suffice it to say that I love seeing someone celebrate one of Ari's earlier gems! While GIAW felt like an artistic breakthrough for her, "Problem" was her big chart breakthrough, becoming the global smash that the Yours Truly era had failed to produce.
            I played the hell out of Problem, like, for a year. I just couldn't make myself sick of it. This is when I decided I must stan Ari forever.

As I believe was the case for many, "King" was my introduction to Y&Y, and I hope we continue to get many more bops from Olly & co. in the years to come.
            Same for me. Initial chart impressions played a big part in their placement and Ariana's.

A little surprised to see your namesake "only" No. 4, but I can appreciate a good plot twist! Is Sean Paul omitted on purpose, or are the two versions more-or-less interchangeable for you? This became Sia's first Paulboard smash (as the lead act), reaching No. 1 on the weekly chart and landing at No. 10 on the Top 50 of 2016.
            I guess interchangeable, but I was irrationally committed to not including Sean Paul when I charted it. I'm not really sure why in retrospect. I think it just appealed me more to chart Sia on her own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
              I still think Bad Romance holds up well.
              I know I have often heard how "dated" it appears by a number of members on here well, but I feel liek it's neither here or there if it is. It remains a bop and every time I hear it, I fall in love with Gaga all over again.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
              I've always found "Problem" to be overrated. And "King"...and "Cheap Thrills".
              Oh dear I do feel like the top three will land better with you.

Problem - I love Ari's vocals on this, but her enunciation is awful. Also, the Iggy verse doesn't do as much for me as it does for you. King - I've never gotten why this is so beloved. Melodically, lyrically, visually, Y&Y did much better with "Sanctify".
              Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
              'King' is a really great song, probably my favourite from Years & Years. Not a big fan of 'Problem' - it has aged pretty badly in my opinion!
              I mean.. to be fair, Ari's often had an enunciation issue - remember the hub-bub last year when people thought she was saying Aubrey instead of Ari on thank u, next? I do think Iggy's presence instantly dates the song, considering how far she fell from the radar almost immediately. I mentioned this to phoenix too, but part of it's high placement is also due to it being my intro to Ari, and I guess it's that the flush of new love that influenced my decision for her placement...

as well as Y&Y. There are several songs that I played for months immediately after they hit. King is a different cae. Certainly had a lot of love for it when it was released, but it's one song I've returned to again and again in subsequent ...uhm, years and years. Sanctify had incredibly unfortunate timing - it happened to chart just when I was charting well, one of the songs in the next set, and it peaked at #2 as a result.

Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
              Cheap Thrills - I said I think it's overrated, and I do, but that's only because her heavyweights ("Titanium", "Chandelier", "The Greatest") didn't see the success this did. The message is great, the melody is infectious, and I have a solid appreciation for it, but it's sometimes peculiar to me the songs the GP will make explode from an artist. I felt similarly about "Work" and Rihanna is practically my musical heartstring.
              I won't deny she has weightier songs. 2016 came during a tough year, and a song about enjoying small pleasures was just the elixir I needed.

Anyhow, as 2019 is closed, so is this countdown. The top three are up next!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still - what a rare instance of essentially an indie act having a hit on the modern charts, the song is irresistible
                      Janelle Mone – Make Me Feel - it's a great piece of songwriting, which straddles the line between complexity and earworm. So maybe those comparisons to Terence Trent D'Arby or Prince hits are a bit lazy, but their hits immediately come to mind when I hear "Make Me Feel"
                      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Ah, yes. This is a wonderful top three.

Feel It Still - ever since I read your write-up for this in your 2017 year-end countdown, I've had a deeper appreciation for it. It's a great anthem indeed.

Rolling in the Deep - love the write-up! The We could have had it all cry does a lot for me.

Make Me Feel - love that bit about how heartbreak and rage is the tone of the top ten, but it's ultimately joy that shines through. Dirty Computer is my favourite LP of 2018, and we have different faves from it, but I am happy to see this come out on top.

Brilliantly paced countdown. You've Cinderella'd the timing of it. The quality was never in question for me, but you did well on that end, too! Was a pleasure to follow.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                        I mean.. to be fair, Ari's often had an enunciation issue - remember the hub-bub last year when people thought she was saying Aubrey instead of Ari on thank u, next? I do think Iggy's presence instantly dates the song, considering how far she fell from the radar almost immediately. I mentioned this to phoenix too, but part of it's high placement is also due to it being my intro to Ari, and I guess it's that the flush of new love that influenced my decision for her placement...
                        I feel like she's either made significant strides on the enunciation end, or I've just listened to her enough to be able to decode her gibberish. But, yes, "Problem" was a big breakthrough song for her. It didn't get to #1 in the US, but it does feel bigger than some of her chart-toppers.

as well as Y&Y. There are several songs that I played for months immediately after they hit. King is a different cae. Certainly had a lot of love for it when it was released, but it's one song I've returned to again and again in subsequent ...uhm, years and years. Sanctify had incredibly unfortunate timing - it happened to chart just when I was charting well, one of the songs in the next set, and it peaked at #2 as a result.
                        I feel you!

I won't deny she has weightier songs. 2016 came during a tough year, and a song about enjoying small pleasures was just the elixir I needed.
                        Which is perfectly reasonable!
                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                          Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still - what a rare instance of essentially an indie act having a hit on the modern charts, the song is irresistible
                          Janelle Mone – Make Me Feel - it's a great piece of songwriting, which straddles the line between complexity and earworm. So maybe those comparisons to Terence Trent D'Arby or Prince hits are a bit lazy, but their hits immediately come to mind when I hear "Make Me Feel"
                          It's true - the lack of variety on the charts is the biggest reason I enjoy the personal charts section - so much more variety and taste here It was really enjoyable following the success of this song on both sides of the Atlantic.

So much was gratifying about the song for me - the bold statement of it, of course, but also seeing Janelle have such an incredible break-through at that stage of her career. She had waited nearly five years after her last album at that point, and then she came along with such a cohesive, personal work. It was worth the wait.

Ah, yes. This is a wonderful top three.

Feel It Still - ever since I read your write-up for this in your 2017 year-end countdown, I've had a deeper appreciation for it. It's a great anthem indeed.

Rolling in the Deep - love the write-up! The We could have had it all cry does a lot for me.

Make Me Feel - love that bit about how heartbreak and rage is the tone of the top ten, but it's ultimately joy that shines through. Dirty Computer is my favourite LP of 2018, and we have different faves from it, but I am happy to see this come out on top.

Brilliantly paced countdown. You've Cinderella'd the timing of it. The quality was never in question for me, but you did well on that end, too! Was a pleasure to follow.
                          For most of this decade, Rolling in the Deep wasn't going to budge from that #1 spot - you can see how she dominated the other top ten lists I presented prior - her 21 album was a force on my chart that will not be equaled. But then Janelle came along - I was already incredibly thirsty for her music. She released this with Django Jane, which I listened to, and was like, yeah, that's pretty good (I grew to really love it later.) and Make Me Feel.

And it's a good thing Make Me Feel came second because it might have been awhile before Django Jane got some play otherwise. It's so rare that my love of a song is instant like that.

Thank you for your kind words, Akini And thanks for taking the time (and everyone else) to comment on the countdown - it made the presentation so much more enjoyable

Now I have time to catch up on the other countdowns!

Comment

• Also, I'll leave a plug here for the 2010-2019 Female-led singles countdown It's the third in a series and I hope those of you who followed along will participate by sending me your own lists!

Comment

• Top 2 absolutely slays, so great to see Janelle as #1! It's such a banger. I really like number 3 as well, even though I can't listen to it without hearing "mr postman"
                              Great list!

Comment

• Ah yes. I remember Janelle winning the Survivor of Personal Chart #1's 2018 with this one last year.

LOL at the Neighbors promo - so dramatic - is Neighbors a reality show or a soap?
                                Its a Soap. our two big long runners are this (35 years) and Home & Away (32).

2014 was big for both Ariana and Iggy.

Cheap Thrills still coming in at #4. Did you chart Alive? Its another one where Sia gives a powerful performance. I remember this girl on X Factor Australia doing a good audition of it in 2016..

Speaking of reality TV, I recall that I had heard King a few times on the radio i think, then I remember Delta Goodrem chose it for one of her contestants on The Voice that year and I was like, oh yeah I like this song, and then the Communion Album came out not long after in July and I really enjoyed it, Definitely in my top few faves of 2015.

Rolling in the Deep started to catch my attention around that time as well (IIRC March or April 2011) So I was later a little surprised that it had been out since the last month or so of 2010 preceding the album. It just had that grand vibe towards the chorus and the video was cool. I remembered Adele from Chasing Pavements but then she really blew up and got massive from there, I listened to Someone Like You, loved Turning Tables and there were so many great songs from that album its solidified itself a classic of the decade. Wonder what her next one will be like.

Thanks for running this @cheapthrills and great use of graphics as usual btw.
                                Last edited by Affillate; Fri January 3rd, 2020, 11:24.
                                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
                                  Top 2 absolutely slays, so great to see Janelle as #1! It's such a banger. I really like number 3 as well, even though I can't listen to it without hearing "mr postman"
                                  Great list!
                                  Always happy to hear Janelle appreciation

The sample in Feel It Still is probably one of its greatest appeals

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                  Ah yes. I remember Janelle winning the Survivor of Personal Chart #1's 2018 with this one last year.
                                  Was really happy about that win - which reminds me, I should probably post my top songs of 2019 somewhere. Don't think I'll do much of a countdown for it though.

2014 was big for both Ariana and Iggy.
                                  Ari had five songs on my chart that year 3 #1s and 2 #2s! Only Adele has had something close to that.

Cheap Thrills still coming in at #4. Did you chart Alive? Its another one where Sia gives a powerful performance. I remember this girl on X Factor Australia doing a good audition of it in 2016..
                                  I didn't chart the song, but I remember listening to it, and it's huge belter of a song - I frankly found it exhausting

Speaking of reality TV, I recall that I had heard King a few times on the radio i think, then I remember Delta Goodrem chose it for one of her contestants on The Voice that year and I was like, oh yeah I like this song, and then the Communion Album came out not long after in July and I really enjoyed it, Definitely in my top few faves of 2015.
                                  Ari got 2014 and then Y&Y got 2015 - haha! They had three songs all chart at the same time that year - two went to #1 (King and Shine), and Desire went to #3 all within two months. Delta was smart to give that as a voice song! It's got a great melody.

Rolling in the Deep started to catch my attention around that time as well (IIRC March or April 2011) So I was later a little surprised that it had been out since the last month or so of 2010 preceding the album. It just had that grand vibe towards the chorus and the video was cool. I remembered Adele from Chasing Pavements but then she really blew up and got massive from there, I listened to Someone Like You, loved Turning Tables and there were so many great songs from that album its solidified itself a classic of the decade. Wonder what her next one will be like.
                                  Same here, she didn't chart until March on my personal chart and then it kind of lingered in the top ten for a couple months before it caught with me, and then it hit #1 for 11 weeks, the second most ever. Kind of the opposite trajectory of Make Me Feel, which debuted at the top and then lingered in the top ten on its way down. 21 was just a huge album and nothing like it will probably ever be on my chart again. She spent 70 consecutive weeks in the top three on my personal chart and 80 in the top ten. When she stopped releasing singles, I wasn't ready to let it go, and "released" my own.

Thanks to you both for following!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                    I love whenever Akini charts Titanium - obviously, I love it too - I feel like I should just have had made #10 a tie so Sia could be in the top ten with it Having two Sia songs in the top ten just felt like less diversity than I could handle.
                                    Ah, so only one entry per act allowed inside this Top 10? I hear you, though: my Top 10 of 2019 turned out to be my least diverse year-end Top 10 ever, and it definitely bugs me a bit.

I played the hell out of Problem, like, for a year. I just couldn't make myself sick of it. This is when I decided I must stan Ari forever.
                                    Excellent choice.

I guess interchangeable, but I was irrationally committed to not including Sean Paul when I charted it. I'm not really sure why in retrospect. I think it just appealed me more to chart Sia on her own.
                                    Glad you're more-or-less indifferent toward the Sean Paul version now, but you certainly weren't alone in dismissing it at first. I recall a fair amount of vitriol directed toward it across UKMIX. It was the version that I downloaded first, so I've never minded Sean Paul's additions, but I've been in that boat where an album track I loved got a "lazy" single remix with a copy-and-paste rap verse shoved in (The Saturdays's "Higher" leaps to mind). Also - of COURSE you were playing "Cheap Thrills" first thing after your NYE night out What more fitting anthem could there be...?

• I need to screenshot/bookmark/something that "Top Albums of the Decade" post, since it answers questions I often ask over in your weekly thread!
                                    • I'd never thought of the political connotations/interpretations of "Feel It Still" before, but I'll definitely have that on my mind the next time I hear it.
                                    21 was such an unbelivable phenomenon. An artist whose previous album spawned just one Hot 100 Top 40 hit went on to give us the last album to ever sell over 10 million copies in the US (at a time when that feat already seemed impossible to reproduce). Adele's appeal knew no age limits, nor regional restrictions. The beautiful eclipse analogy you made in your "Hello" summary would fit well here too, since 21 was a final hurrah for blockbuster album sales (especially now that the entire concept of an album release campaign is being questioned/re-evaluated, with more artists starting to drop standalone singles whenever and maybe putting out an EP/album at some point that might include some of those singles). 12 million copies. 3 No. 1 smashes. A monumental part of the 2010's (and pop music history in general).
                                    • Janelle clearly knows how to make you feel all kinds of things This really was a revolutionary moment for her that brought many new fans on-board (myself included). I'd certainly heard her name before the DC era, but I was under the (misguided) impression that her material was too avant-garde/experimental/high-concept for my more...chart-music-inclined sensibilities (like an electronic-R&B Bjrk). Akini's enthusiasm for "Cold War" provided my first glimpse that Janelle could work for me, then this song sold me in a BIG way. There's so much to appreciate about her beyond the music as well.

Although I wish I'd started following your chart sooner, thanks for being one of the best parts of my UKMIX experience toward the end of the 2010's, CT!
                                    last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                      Ah, so only one entry per act allowed inside this Top 10? I hear you, though: my Top 10 of 2019 turned out to be my least diverse year-end Top 10 ever, and it definitely bugs me a bit.
                                      I guess? I didn't set out and make that rule when I started the countdown. But once I was working on it, and trying to decide if Titanium or Forget You would get that 10th spot, it was a deciding factor.

Glad you're more-or-less indifferent toward the Sean Paul version now, but you certainly weren't alone in dismissing it at first. I recall a fair amount of vitriol directed toward it across UKMIX. It was the version that I downloaded first, so I've never minded Sean Paul's additions, but I've been in that boat where an album track I loved got a "lazy" single remix with a copy-and-paste rap verse shoved in (The Saturdays's "Higher" leaps to mind). Also - of COURSE you were playing "Cheap Thrills" first thing after your NYE night out What more fitting anthem could there be...?
                                      I was listening to the Sean Paul version then too, so I'm not sure - I don't think I have a preference for either. In the ensuing years,I'm sure I've listened to the Sean Paul remix much more than the original. I think it was really that I wanted Sia to own that song, so I went with the solo version. As for NYE, it came up randomly - that's what was so crazy. It was on the playlist my friend had going and it was set to shuffle

I need to screenshot/bookmark/something that "Top Albums of the Decade" post, since it answers questions I often ask over in your weekly thread!
                                      Oh no! I revealed too many secrets - perhaps I should delete that.

I'd never thought of the political connotations/interpretations of "Feel It Still" before, but I'll definitely have that on my mind the next time I hear it.
                                      Essentially, it was inspired by Bernie Sanders - that even though Sanders was out of the running and now we have Trump, he has all this rebellious energy - he "feels it still," which perfectly captured my emotions in 2017. And probably more so in 2020.

21 was such an unbelivable phenomenon. An artist whose previous album spawned just one Hot 100 Top 40 hit went on to give us the last album to ever sell over 10 million copies in the US (at a time when that feat already seemed impossible to reproduce). Adele's appeal knew no age limits, nor regional restrictions. The beautiful eclipse analogy you made in your "Hello" summary would fit well here too, since 21 was a final hurrah for blockbuster album sales (especially now that the entire concept of an album release campaign is being questioned/re-evaluated, with more artists starting to drop standalone singles whenever and maybe putting out an EP/album at some point that might include some of those singles). 12 million copies. 3 No. 1 smashes. A monumental part of the 2010's (and pop music history in general).
                                      I think I'm still adapting to those changes too. I've thought about changing the way I do my chart because the release strategy is so different than it was just a few years ago - it's even hard to quantify what an album is sometimes (like Dua's album, or even Lizzo who's two older hits jumped ship to her newer album). I miss sales being a stronger component of the charts, but streaming is much more democratic. I'm just bitter that so many songs that are streaming successes are not songs I connect with. The last two or three years my personal chart has deviated from the popular chart so much more than it used to.

Janelle clearly knows how to make you feel all kinds of things This really was a revolutionary moment for her that brought many new fans on-board (myself included). I'd certainly heard her name before the DC era, but I was under the (misguided) impression that her material was too avant-garde/experimental/high-concept for my more...chart-music-inclined sensibilities (like an electronic-R&B Bjrk). Akini's enthusiasm for "Cold War" provided my first glimpse that Janelle could work for me, then this song sold me in a BIG way. There's so much to appreciate about her beyond the music as well.
                                      Her talent is incredible. I checked out a Pitchfork review of Cold War in 2010, and then started listening to her other music. (Can't believe I missed out on charting Tightrope though.) I saw her in a trailer for a movie called Antebellum coming out in a few months and I wanted to just stand up out of my seat. But, also like, ugh, can't I just lock you in a room so you can focus on more music, Janelle? When Dirty Computer came out, it had been almost five years since her previous album. But it was immensely gratifying to watch it being the huge critical success that it was.

Thanks again for following this countdown

Comment

Working...
                                      X