Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapthrills' Cheap 2010s Countdown - COMPLETED

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #26
    "Rather Be" grew on me a lot over the years. I remember when it was just released, I wrote a review for it, and gave it 3/5 stars. It's at least a whole other star stronger to me now.

    "Happier" was a big grower for me, too. I definitely understand why it's a more meaningful track for you, though. "So Am I" is my favourite Ava Max song! I'm a sucker for misfit anthems.
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [115-111]

    Comment


    • #27
      Nicki Minaj - Super Bass (July 2011)


      Nicki Minaj was a huge presence on my charts this past decade, debuting in 2010 with Right Thru Me. The first half of the decade belonged to Nicki - she was really the only female rapper in the game. I'd credit Super Bass for sending Nicki to superstar status. She'd had chart appearances before, but that catchy "boom" chorus helped her crossover to pop, and gave her a lane which would serve her successfully for the rest of the decade. This song peaked at #3, one of SIX songs during the decade to do so.

      Comment


      • #28
        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        "Rather Be" grew on me a lot over the years. I remember when it was just released, I wrote a review for it, and gave it 3/5 stars. It's at least a whole other star stronger to me now.

        "Happier" was a big grower for me, too. I definitely understand why it's a more meaningful track for you, though. "So Am I" is my favourite Ava Max song! I'm a sucker for misfit anthems.
        Oh wow, you wrote this while I was doing up my last entry. Rather Be has a real throwback vibe to it. I'm really pleased with its unexpected success stateside. So Am I is my favorite form her as well! I decided to tally my 2019 songs early this year for this countdown, and I believe she JUST missed the cut with this one as the song that placed just above hers will be in the countdown.

        Comment


        • #29
          "Super Bass" is fantastic, and one of my top 2011 jams. The thing with Nicki, though, is that the brightest moments of her career have often come through her features on others' songs. It's a weird thing to say, but I suspect her "Monster" verse will be her magnum opus when all is said and done.
          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [115-111]

          Comment


          • #30
            Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            "Super Bass" is fantastic, and one of my top 2011 jams. The thing with Nicki, though, is that the brightest moments of her career have often come through her features on others' songs. It's a weird thing to say, but I suspect her "Monster" verse will be her magnum opus when all is said and done.
            Monster did chart in the top five for me. As you might guess, it gets play this time of year and I always love that verse! Her change in flow, her switch-up on voices, and those lyrics of a queen claiming her throne. "Just killed another career - it's a mild day."

            Comment


            • #31
              The Wanted - Glad You Came (April 2012)


              I always thought the boys at The Wanted were better looking than 1D, though the 1D boys have certainly blossomed since then. And in what I'm sure was an unpopular opinion then, and pure lunacy to think now, I thought they would be more popular in the US. Things started off well for them with this song. And they had a follow up I enjoyed called Chasing the Sun. But the single that introduced their next album, Walks Like Rihanna (clearly an uninspired title trying to capture Moves Like Jagger's lightning in a bottle), was so dumb I never returned to the group again.

              Comment


              • #32
                Imagine Dragons - Demons (October 2013)


                A dominating year for IMagine Dragons, they were one of the few rock bands to break big in what has been a rare site on the Hot 100 in recent years. While Radioactive took awhile to win me over, there was no such slowdown with Demons, a song that slowly builds to a payoff in the chorus with a glistening falsetto. This song was one of three Halloween songs to hit #1 in 2013, and misses the countdown by the barest of margins.

                Comment


                • #33
                  The 1975 - Chocolate (March 2014)


                  If I recall, this was inspired by a lead's friend who took drugs, hid them in her clothes, and said the rush from them was like chocolate. That sinister background is belied by the sunniness of both the vocal and music, and was a #1 on my list.

                  Comment


                  • #34
                    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                    Circling back to you! I wanted to respond sooner, but got a timeout error before and didn't want to retype - haha. Consider Me Gone is Reba's only solo appearance on my chart. She also appeared with Kelly Clarkson on her remake of Because of You. I'm not sure where I picked up my interest either.
                    Ah, so I'm not alone in struggling with UKMIX connectivity sometimes!

                    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                    Maybe it's my impression on gay bars, but it feels to me like they are quieter than they used to be. Maybe it's because there's other options to meet, or gays don't feel to need to have their own bar space? I know several have closed here in Denver.
                    Probably because you stopped going (so why would other men bother?) That's an interesting point about the younger LGBTQ+ generation possibly feeling less of a need to congregate in their own specified space, but I think we need spaces like that more than ever (well, more than we have in a while, anyway) due to the changing social+political climate these past few years.

                    • "Super Bass" is such bliss, and remains my most-played Nicki track (counting lead and featured appearances). My interest in her waned after she veered away from poppier offerings like this (and "Starships," "Va Va Voom," "Marilyn Monroe," etc), but I can understand why she made that call to preserve her hip-hop/MC credibility. The general demand for pop/dance-leaning singles like some of those Nicki hits I loved definitely dwindled as we entered the mid-2010's, so she made a smart shift in that regard too.
                    • Watching a British boyband soar into the Hot 100 Top 5 in 2012 was a dream come true; of course, it wouldn't be long before 1D also broke the States and made that feat look easy several times over. It's a shame The Wanted couldn't manage to co-exist with 1D, though a part of their problem might've been trying too hard to replicate the success of GYC with sound-a-likes such as "Chasing The Sun" and "I Found You." Which Wanted did you want the most?
                    • I love learning that you weren't sold on "Radioactive" either, which was (and remains) my least-favorite of their Night Visions hits. "Demons" is my second-most-played single of theirs overall (behind "It's Time"). Daddy Dan = <3
                    • The 1975 didn't grab my attention until their second album, so I'm not familiar with earlier offerings like "Chocolate" (aside from you having mentioned it before). It has a different sound/style compared to what I've heard from them, but still quite catchy!
                    last.fm

                    Comment


                    • #35
                      I think I actually remember liking "Glad You Came" more than "What Makes You Beautiful" at some point. The Wanted had potential, though. I liked "Chasing the Sun" and "I Found You". They actually filmed some pretty strong music videos.

                      Aw, "Demons" is brilliant! It should've made the main countdown.

                      Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      Monster did chart in the top five for me. As you might guess, it gets play this time of year and I always love that verse! Her change in flow, her switch-up on voices, and those lyrics of a queen claiming her throne. "Just killed another career - it's a mild day."
                      It may seem like a stretch, but I think it's the single greatest moment in hip/hop history.
                      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [115-111]

                      Comment


                      • #36
                        Fifth Harmony - I'm In Love With a Monster (October 2015)


                        Since Halloween is upon us, let's go with what is perhaps my favorite Halloween playlist song of the past decade. This sounds like it could have come from the 60s with its horns and well, harmony. While it was a #1 song on my list, it didn't come close at all to making the actual countdown. It's still notable for being the only #1 for all the members of Fifth Harmony, and also in preventing Adele's Hello from debuting at #1 - something only two songs managed to do this decade.

                        Comment


                        • #37
                          Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                          Ah, so I'm not alone in struggling with UKMIX connectivity sometimes!
                          Wayne did some sort of admin voodoo a week or so ago and it seems better now.

                          Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                          • "Super Bass" is such bliss, and remains my most-played Nicki track (counting lead and featured appearances). My interest in her waned after she veered away from poppier offerings like this (and "Starships," "Va Va Voom," "Marilyn Monroe," etc), but I can understand why she made that call to preserve her hip-hop/MC credibility. The general demand for pop/dance-leaning singles like some of those Nicki hits I loved definitely dwindled as we entered the mid-2010's, so she made a smart shift in that regard too.
                          I love pop-leaning Nicki too, but I think her turn away from it was a matter of self-preservation, not just her credibility, but in terms of streaming, the $$$ seems to be in hip hop.

                          Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                          I think I actually remember liking "Glad You Came" more than "What Makes You Beautiful" at some point. The Wanted had potential, though. I liked "Chasing the Sun" and "I Found You". They actually filmed some pretty strong music videos.
                          Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                          • Watching a British boyband soar into the Hot 100 Top 5 in 2012 was a dream come true; of course, it wouldn't be long before 1D also broke the States and made that feat look easy several times over. It's a shame The Wanted couldn't manage to co-exist with 1D, though a part of their problem might've been trying too hard to replicate the success of GYC with sound-a-likes such as "Chasing The Sun" and "I Found You." Which Wanted did you want the most?
                          I loved Chasing the Sun too! I really thought The Wanted was going to have this amazing rivalry with 1D. Like, we'd get to relive the BSB and N'SYNC all over again. And it just ended with that one song. I'm so bitter. And cutest was Max of course. I was so excited when he appeared on Glee, but it seems he was there for like, five seconds, and that was that. They did the same thing with Dean Geyer - I was so pissed when he went from awesome love interest to dust.

                          Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                          • I love learning that you weren't sold on "Radioactive" either, which was (and remains) my least-favorite of their Night Visions hits. "Demons" is my second-most-played single of theirs overall (behind "It's Time"). Daddy Dan = <3
                          Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                          Aw, "Demons" is brilliant! It should've made the main countdown.
                          Radioactive had been out for months before I charted it, and really, I think I only charted it because I was worn down by its constant radio play. Actually, looking back my affection for Demons is what really helped Radioactive - they charted at the same time. Demons really came very close to making it

                          Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                          It may seem like a stretch, but I think it's the single greatest moment in hip/hop history.
                          Not a stretch. Straight up facts.

                          Comment


                          • #38
                            Beyoncé - Formation (February 2016)


                            This song was a #1 on my list for three weeks and somehow managed to finish at #31 for the year. Who the hell knows what happened there because in retrospect, this was a revelation and the best single Bey released this decade. There's just so much to unpack and I remember my mind being blown when I discovered the word was heir, not hair in the "I like my baby heir with baby hair" - the song touches on so much, but as she introduces the song with her background as a Texas Bama, she also looks to the future and the legacy she leaves to her heir. My mind was also blown by a youtube commenter, who mentioned that "getting in formation" could also be heard as "getting information," meaning elevating oneself politically, intellectually. I mean, I could go on for pages, but criminally, this song missed the countdown completely.

                            Comment


                            • #39
                              Charlie Puth - Attention (December 2017)


                              A twofer today since I missed yesterday! Attention was a slow burner on my chart. It yo-yo'd in the top ten for a few weeks before reaching #2 just before succumbing to a fairly strong Christmas crush. The midtempo songs fit Charlie like a glove, but what makes the song stand-out are what step away from that tempo - the sigh that stop the song, the way he manages to convey heartbreak with the falsetto'd "mine" - how it almost cracks, but not quite. This is a very technical vocal.

                              Comment


                              • #40
                                Mitski - Nobody (August 2018)


                                "My god," starts Mitski, "I'm so lonely." - and she really was. She was traveling alone and desperately wanted someone to acknowledge her. The need for connection is vital to life, but loneliness is a rare topic for a song. We hear songs about falling in love, out of love, missing someone you once loved... but here she is talking about the complete absence of companionship. She does it in such a clever way - a bop as if she is trying to unify the other lonely hearts out there into one dance party. Her repetition of the word "nobody" both eviscerates its meaning and amplifies it. On one hand, it's repetition dilutes its meaning so it just becomes part of the ambient noise; on the other hand, she manages to get the word ignored just you would a nobody. The song made it to #4, and barely made the top 40 last year, but I've grown to love this song which has made art out of pain.

                                Comment


                                • #41
                                  Broods - Hospitalized (April 2019)


                                  That slide working up to the chorus, which explodes in a frothy bubble of words was what sold it for me. It was only after a few plays that I even paid attention to the words. In any case, our narrator has some serious introspection to do - for whatever reason, she finds herself in relationships as the caregiver and longs for someone to be attentive to her, even to the point of physical harm just so someone can check in to see if she's ok. As a single parent, I totally get this feeling. What on earth this all has to do with the goofy lyric video is beyond me. This peaked at #2.

                                  Comment


                                  • #42
                                    I think "Formation" is great, but I absolutely disagree that it's her best single of the '10s. Her actual best song this decade (in my opinion, of course) will be one of the frontrunners for my song of the decade actually. Also, I think "Formation" is arguably the weakest song on its parent album, though I still think it's good.

                                    I'm listening to "Attention" again for the first time in a long while, and it sounds really good! It's definitely one of his finest singles.
                                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [115-111]

                                    Comment


                                    • #43
                                      Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                      I think "Formation" is great, but I absolutely disagree that it's her best single of the '10s. Her actual best song this decade (in my opinion, of course) will be one of the frontrunners for my song of the decade actually. Also, I think "Formation" is arguably the weakest song on its parent album, though I still think it's good.

                                      I'm listening to "Attention" again for the first time in a long while, and it sounds really good! It's definitely one of his finest singles.
                                      I'll be curious to see what song you think is her best! Beyonce did make the actual countdown but not with Formation, which has grown on me over time.

                                      Comment


                                      • #44
                                        Lady Antebellum - Need You Now (February 2010)


                                        As I look through my year-end lists, it is clear that country songs mostly missed the boat this past decade, so I'll admit I'm including this one to make up for that. This song made my year-end but nowhere close enough to make the countdown. This song got a huge boost form me, and I think everyone else, after they performed it at the 2010 Grammys. So while it was released in 2009, it didn't register with me until the new decade. Apparently, this is the most downloaded country song ever - a record that won't be passed in these days of Spotify. It hit #2 on my chart.

                                        Comment


                                        • #45
                                          Kelly Rowland ft. Lil Wayne - Motivation (June 2011)


                                          Not that I don't love Normani's Motivation, but there's no comparison here - Kelly killed it with this slow, sensual vibe. Clearly crafted to be background music in the bedroom, Kelly adds just enough yearning and need to the vocal without it edging into camp territory. Even that "Go, Go Go" refrain from the background singers is perfectly restrained, holding back the release that we know Kelly is craving while desiring things to last as long as they can. This hit #2 just as the temperatures were rising outdoors as well.

                                          Comment


                                          • #46
                                            "Need You Now" sounds so much better now than it did back then, at least to me! It'll be a country classic, I'm sure! I've been playing it so much the past few days.

                                            "Motivation" is aural sex, and its video is...just...beautiful. I'm tempted to make a fat kid, eye candy joke about it, but I won't. Suffice to say, the combo of the guys, the lighting, and the music makes for a powerful experience.
                                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [115-111]

                                            Comment


                                            • #47
                                              Florida Georgia Line - Cruise (October 2012)


                                              This song hit #1 on my chart about half a year before much of the US caught up with the Nelly remix of it. I was ahead of the curve for the silliest of reasons - I went on my first (and so far only) cruise ever that month to celebrate my mom's birthday. And I happened to catch this song as I was anticipating the trip. I thought oh, well, my first cruise - a cruise song - have to play that. I listened and thought, you know what, this is corny af, but I kind of like it! Now the song serves up a pleasant memory of the vacation I took.

                                              Comment


                                              • #48
                                                Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                "Need You Now" sounds so much better now than it did back then, at least to me! It'll be a country classic, I'm sure! I've been playing it so much the past few days.

                                                "Motivation" is aural sex, and its video is...just...beautiful. I'm tempted to make a fat kid, eye candy joke about it, but I won't. Suffice to say, the combo of the guys, the lighting, and the music makes for a powerful experience.
                                                I'm really enjoying going back and looking at these songs because Need You Now is one that I hadn't returned to in awhile and I forgot just how wonderful it is. They are a group I haven't listened to as much as I should in general.

                                                The guys in the Motivation video

                                                Comment


                                                • #49
                                                  Pharrell - Happy (June 2013)


                                                  Another song that peaked on my chart months before it exploded on Billboard, Happy was part of 2013's Summer of Pharrell, in which he appeared on blockbusters with Daft Punk and Robin Thicke. At one point he was on four song in my top ten - a record. So, this song got lost in the Pharrell shuffle, being held out of #1 by songs on which he was featured (that makes him only one of five people to have the top two songs at once). This song has such a retro vibe to it I think it could have been a hit in any time period, but at the time I charted it, I thought it would be a forgotten gem because it came from an animated movie. Of course, Frozen would appear in just a few months shooting that theory to hell - for the first time ever on Billboard, an animated movie's soundtrack was #1 on the BB 200 while a song from an animated movie was #1 on the Hot 100. I tweeted that observation to Fred Bronson at Billboard when it happened and they made an article out of it, giving my twitter account a shout out. My fifteen minutes.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #50
                                                    "Cruise" is a song I go back to once in a while. It's jaunty, uplifting and has a very memorable hook.
                                                    Who knew back then that this would become the official mainstream start of the Bro movement.
                                                    Had I had a chart back in 2012 this would have easily made it to #1! (There I said it ).

                                                    Even Sam Hunt went Top 20 in my chart with his official mainstream debut ("Leave The Night On")

                                                    Here is the "Cruise" video. Gosh, Brian Kelley looks extremely young.

                                                    trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                                    trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X