Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Hmm..."Nice to Meet Ya" barely made my top 20 that day. I'll have to revisit it to see why you and Jake love it so much. "Dangerous Woman" is good!

I wanna like "Same Love" for obvious reasons, but I find its chorus grating.

Oh my at your friend passing! May he rest in peace.

I've admittedly had a tepid response to most of the songs that've made your main list thus far, but "Sanctify" is here to end that! Dark synthpop melodrama - it's simply magical! I love its music video, its parent album was one of my top LPs of 2018, and the whole era really got me to appreciate Y&Y, when "King" three years before failed.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
        Girls Chase Boys was my #2 song of 2014 over many songs I now prefer. I think it's just one of those songs that I liked and didn't get burned out on, so it lingered. In the decade-end reflection, though, it didn't make my top ten for that year!
        In working on my decade-end lists, this has been a running theme for me, too!
        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [305-301]

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
          Hmm..."Nice to Meet Ya" barely made my top 20 that day. I'll have to revisit it to see why you and Jake love it so much. "Dangerous Woman" is good!
          Nice To meet Ya took a little time for me, and the last two or three weeks something really clicked. I thought Selena or Dua would have a competition for #1, but he's seemed to be the dark horse I didn't see coming.

I wanna like "Same Love" for obvious reasons, but I find its chorus grating.
          Honestly, there's a bit I don't like about the song. There's some lines that are so cringe-worthy. That opening where Macklemore feels the need to explain that he's always been straight, for one thing. But seeing how people in my life reacted to the song and how they reacted to me because of it made it special for me. (Seriously, several people mentioned the song specifically!)

Oh my at your friend passing! May he rest in peace.
          Thank you. It's amazing how close you get to people on these forums. They can often be just as relevant as IRL friendships.

I've admittedly had a tepid response to most of the songs that've made your main list thus far, but "Sanctify" is here to end that! Dark synthpop melodrama - it's simply magical! I love its music video, its parent album was one of my top LPs of 2018, and the whole era really got me to appreciate Y&Y, when "King" three years before failed.
          This is not their last appearance either, so at least I'll have them in my corner as the list continues. They are definitely one of my most loved acts of the decade. Hopefully, you'll like other acts as this continues! I was going to just do a top 100, but seeing as I started this a little early, I decided to expand it.

In working on my decade-end lists, this has been a running theme for me, too!
          I think it's more fun for me to do it this way too. If I just went off the points they accumulated, I think I would have had a very different list with songs I'm not as enthusiastic about. I think this was a good compromise - re-ranking my top 20 each year still allowed points to make a difference, but also gave me some wiggle room.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I didn't realise the "Hey Mama" video was so popular - over a billion views! It's rare that Nicki isn't the highlight on a song on which she's featured, but I have to agree that the production and Bebe's chorus outmatch her here.

"Love So Soft" is the kind of music I would've expected from KC early on in her career after having seen her Idol run - soul music with pop sensibilities. Even if it didn't sell that many copies, I know she experienced immense joy recording Meaning of Life.

Dirty Computer is my favourite album of 2018, and "Americans" is my top track from the LP. I think the whole album is brave, intelligent, and temporally relevant, and "Americans" sums up the message of the album so succinctly.

I think it's more fun for me to do it this way too. If I just went off the points they accumulated, I think I would have had a very different list with songs I'm not as enthusiastic about. I think this was a good compromise - re-ranking my top 20 each year still allowed points to make a difference, but also gave me some wiggle room.
                  Yeah, part of me wanted to be loyal to my younger self's affinity for certain songs, and another part of me wanted to recognise the distinction of the level of competition in later years being much more intense, considering my music taste expanded each year (or at least I'd like to think that it did ). As such, a song's success on my chart in 2010 compared to another's in 2019 isn't at all a fair comparison.

I'm comfortable with the approach for my song and album lists, but I tried a statistical approach for my artists list that produced a #1 with which I'm not entirely happy. I'll likely adjust it a bit to get the artist I want to the top spot. #riggamorris

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I didn't realise the "Hey Mama" video was so popular - over a billion views! It's rare that Nicki isn't the highlight on a song on which she's featured, but I have to agree that the production and Bebe's chorus outmatch her here.
                          I didn't realize it was that huge either! Truly an international hit!

"Love So Soft" is the kind of music I would've expected from KC early on in her career after having seen her Idol run - soul music with pop sensibilities. Even if it didn't sell that many copies, I know she experienced immense joy recording Meaning of Life.
                          It would rank as one of my favorite songs she's ever done. I'm really sad it didn't see more success, but you make a good point that she at least created a work that sounded the most true to her I'd heard in awhile.

Dirty Computer is my favourite album of 2018, and "Americans" is my top track from the LP. I think the whole album is brave, intelligent, and temporally relevant, and "Americans" sums up the message of the album so succinctly.
                          I'll probably scatter some top ten lists for the decade as I go through this and Janelle's album will certainly rank in my top ten albums.

Comment

"Dynamite" is okay, though I must say I always viewed Taio Cruz as a poor man's Jason Derulo, who himself is already a poor man's Usher/Chris Brown.

Comment

Is that a typo for Hey Mama? It came out as a single in mid 2015, unless it took two years to make an impact on your chart cheap thrills? Haha.

2010 was big for Taio Cruz, between Dynamite and Break Your Heart, he also had those collars with Kesha and Kylie Minogue.
                              UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                Is that a typo for Hey Mama? It came out as a single in mid 2015, unless it took two years to make an impact on your chart cheap thrills? Haha.

2010 was big for Taio Cruz, between Dynamite and Break Your Heart, he also had those collars with Kesha and Kylie Minogue.
                                Such a good eye. I think I copied from another graphic and didn't change the date. It peaked at #2 in June of 2015, so you are correct! Wow, I can't believe it's been four years since I charted David Guetta. I was obsessed with him the first half of the decade. I guess my head was turned by cuter, younger DJs.

Yes, Taio was a real blip on the radar. It's weird that he was only huge for a couple of years. I don't remember the Kylie collab!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Yes, Taio was a real blip on the radar. It's weird that he was only huge for a couple of years. I don't remember the Kylie collab!
                                        It's called Higher. Released as a single Nov 2010. According to the wiki article it was written for Aphrodite but didn't end up on it. There's also a solo Taio only version and a version with Travis McCoy for the US release. both versions had an almost identical video just with either Kylie or Travis.

UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Oh! I do remember Higher! No idea Kylie was on that with him. Have only ever heard him with Travis.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I think "Hold On, We're Going Home" is probably Drake's best song. It has this effortlessly chill vibe that I love, and I'm confident it'll be the track of his that ages the best. "The Cure" has such a powerful, sweet message. It's a far cry from her "Bad Romance" best, but I love the sincerity in the lyrics.

"Bang Bang" has grown on me a lot over the years. I thought it was pretty good back in 2014, but I'm a big fan of it now. It actually spent more days atop my chart in 2019 than it did in 2014.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                    I think "Hold On, We're Going Home" is probably Drake's best song. It has this effortlessly chill vibe that I love, and I'm confident it'll be the track of his that ages the best. "The Cure" has such a powerful, sweet message. It's a far cry from her "Bad Romance" best, but I love the sincerity in the lyrics.

"Bang Bang" has grown on me a lot over the years. I thought it was pretty good back in 2014, but I'm a big fan of it now. It actually spent more days atop my chart in 2019 than it did in 2014.
                                                    2017 Gaga felt huge! She did the Super Bowl AND Coachella, and started filming ASIB. She released that bonkers John Wayne video too. I really think the Cure could have done something had there been some promo, but it was treated like this throw-away one-off.

And Bang Bang is just so much fun - you can just tell that these three had a ball recording with one another. I love that they all still seem close.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X