X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• "Can't Hold Us" is brilliant - my #1 song of 2013, in fact, and that was no small feat considering it was up against "Do What U Want"! Uplifting lyrics, brilliant instrumentation, soaring vocals - it's a complete song.
          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [125-121]

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                  "Can't Hold Us" is brilliant - my #1 song of 2013, in fact, and that was no small feat considering it was up against "Do What U Want"! Uplifting lyrics, brilliant instrumentation, soaring vocals - it's a complete song.
                  Wow, I'm surprised it topped your annual, but it's a great choice! It just missed my top ten that year at #11, but I agree. I think while it was on my list, it struck me how I wasn't getting tired of it - there's just so much to pay attention to!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• "When We Were Young" is good and ranked high on my 2015 year-end list, but "Million Years Ago" serves a similar message in a far more potent fashion.

I have extraordinarily strong feelings about "Rockabye"; I totally misranked it in 2016. I disagree that Sean Paul's ad-libs are too joyous for the track. I was raised by a single parent, so I have tonnes of respect for anyone who's strong enough to do that. I can barely adult and just take care of myself, much less be responsible for someone else!

Comment

"When We Were Young" is good and ranked high on my 2015 year-end list, but "Million Years Ago" serves a similar message in a far more potent fashion.

I have extraordinarily strong feelings about "Rockabye"; I totally misranked it in 2016. I disagree that Sean Paul's ad-libs are too joyous for the track. I was raised by a single parent, so I have tonnes of respect for anyone who's strong enough to do that. I can barely adult and just take care of myself, much less be responsible for someone else!
                                  I actually prefer Million Years Ago also. I was so confident it would be released as a single, I held off on charting it, and then she nothing - perhaps it's because eras don't last like they used to thanks to streaming. Three singles had prolonged it enough. But it's my favorite on that album after Hello.

Not sure if that means Rockabye might appear in your decade-end list, but it's such an unusual topic for a pop song, especially a successful one. I'm grateful for having family nearby and their support. I don't know how some people do it without a safety net.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• "Love Me Like You Do" is one of the few Ellie songs I really adore, though I don't think it's my top Fifty Shades track.

"S&M" is delicious. That 2010-2012 period was chock-full of really incredible pop gems, and "S&M" is one of the top ones for me...and now that I think about it, Rihanna really ruled that era putting out LPs in each of those years.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                          I actually prefer Million Years Ago also. I was so confident it would be released as a single, I held off on charting it, and then she nothing - perhaps it's because eras don't last like they used to thanks to streaming. Three singles had prolonged it enough. But it's my favorite on that album after Hello.

Not sure if that means Rockabye might appear in your decade-end list, but it's such an unusual topic for a pop song, especially a successful one. I'm grateful for having family nearby and their support. I don't know how some people do it without a safety net.
                                          Yeah, the single choices that era were bizarre.

You'll have to wait and see. The only other big songs about parenthood that come to mind right now are "A Song for Mama" and "Goodbye's (The Saddest Word)", so you have a point there.

Comment

• So, throughout this countdown, I'll post some various top ten lists about the decade. here are the women who had the most top tens in my chart this decade. Rather than chart their best performing track, I'll choose a track that didn't make the countdown that nevertheless I really loved. (I guess only five youtube videos are allowed per post, which makes sense.)

Artist Total top tens Spotlight Track
                                            Nicki Minaj
                                            Lady Gaga
                                            Ariana Grande 16
                                            Janelle Monae

Rihanna
                                            Sia
                                            14 Never Give Up
                                            Adele
                                            12 Turning Tables
                                            Dua Lipa
                                            10 Don't Start Now
                                            Katy Perry
                                            10 Never Really Over
                                            Beyonce
                                            9 Partition
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Wait, Nicki is the artist with the most top 10s on your '10s charts? I am very pleasantly surprised!

Comment

Wait, Nicki is the artist with the most top 10s on your '10s charts? I am very pleasantly surprised!
                                                I love Nicki! She had some songs that didn't make the top 10 too, so the total could have been even higher. It also helps that she blew up right as the decade began, and that the total includes songs she's been featured on (like most recently, Hot Girl Summer).

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                                    X