Adam's Top 100 of 2019! [TOP ARTISTS OF THE YEAR]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam's Top 100 of 2019! [TOP ARTISTS OF THE YEAR]

Hello! It's December which means it's almost time for my annual countdown of best singles, albums and artists of the year!

I was surprised as to how much I have had to leave out this year, some real bangers didn't even make it, but I'm confident about what has ended up at the top end of my chart.

In the above poll are 12 contenders for my No.1 singles spot - I guarantee that one of them IS the chart topper, but can also tell you that as usual, not all of these songs have even charted in the top 100 - it's up to you to decide which is which and pick the song you think is my favourite of the year - let me know what you've chosen too so I can see who is right and wrong!

To help you a little, here are my top 10s of the past five years..

10. Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999
    09. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly
    08. Banx & Ranx & Ella Eyre ft. Yxng Bane - Answerphone
    07. Shawn Mendes ft. Khalid - Youth
    06. Years & Years - All For You
    05. Blonde ft. Bryn Christopher - Me, Myself & I
    04. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
    03. Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes
    02. Kacey Musgraves - High Horse
    01. Sigrid - High Five

10. Axwell ^ Ingrosso - More Than You Know
    09. Martin Solveig ft. Ina Wroldsen - Places
    08. Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean - Feels
    07. Steps - Scared Of The Dark
    06. Fickle Friends - Glue
    05. Anne-Marie - Then
    04. Nick Jonas ft. Anne-Marie & Mike Posner - Remember I Told You
    03. Charlie Puth - Attention
    02. Paramore - Hard Times
    01. Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony

10. Shawn Mendes - Mercy
    09. AlunaGeorge ft. Popcaan - I'm In Control
    08. Zara Larsson - Lush Life
    07. NEIKED ft. Dyo - Sexual
    06. Craig David & Sigala - Not Giving Up
    05. Little Mix - Touch
    04. Two Door CInema Club - Are We Ready? (Wreck)
    03. Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful
    02. Fifth Harmony - That's My Girl
    01. Gorgon City ft. Vaults - All Four Walls

10. Foxes - Better Love
    09. Jessie Ware - Champagne Kisses
    08. Sia - Alive
    07. Selena Gomez ft. A$AP Rocky - Good For You
    06. Chemical Brothers ft. Q-Tip - Go
    05. Sara Bareilles - She Used To Be Mine
    04. Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive
    03. Fifth Harmony ft. Kid Ink - Worth It
    02. Calvin Harris & Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love
    01. Years & Years - King

10. Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
    09. will.i.am ft. French Montana, Miley Cyrus & Wiz Khalifa - Feelin' Myself
    08. Sara Bareilles - I Choose You
    07. The Kooks - Around Town
    06. Twin Atlantic - Heart And Soul
    05. The Saturdays - Not Giving Up
    04. Austin Mahone ft. Pitbull - Mmm Yeah
    03. Oliver Heldens x Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive)
    02. Katy B - Crying For No Reason
    01. Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

------------------

So get voting as to what YOU think No.1 is - the countdown will begin SOON!
    Alec Benjamin - Must Have Been The Wind
    0.00%
    Carly Rae Jepsen - Now That I Found You
    20.00%
    Foals - The Runner
    0.00%
    Lizzo - Good As Hell
    0.00%
    M-22 - White Lies
    0.00%
    MARINA - Handmade Heaven
    40.00%
    Saara Aalto - Dance Like Nobody's Watching
    0.00%
    Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Senorita
    10.00%
    Sigala & Becky Hill - Wish You Well
    10.00%
    Sigrid - Don't Feel Like Crying
    0.00%
    Tiesto, Jonas Blue & Rita Ora - Ritual
    10.00%
    Two Door Cinema Club - Talk
    10.00%
    Last edited by king_oxymoron; Tue January 14, 2020, 16:25.
    Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

I voted Ritual because I love it & it's my most played song of the year so will figure high in my own EOY chart.

Not sure what you're into at the moment but hope Sigala and Lizzo do well.

I think Shawn Mendes will be a contender though I'm not a fan.
    Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

Went with "SeŮorita" in the poll!
      Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Voted Marina through wishful thinking.
        Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

There are three songs that I absolutely love.

Now That I Found You
          Good As Hell
          Wish You Well

Hoping that Now That I Found You makes it to #1.

Comment

Oh fancy seeing you here.

This is tough... I’m very tempted to vote for a Glastonbury act we saw together but I’m going for Sigala on a hunch!

Comment

The first ten!

100. Avicii ft. Agnes, Vargas & Lagola - Tough Love

Kicking off this year is the unexpected return of Agnes as part of a project with the late Avicii. I love the violin intro, it really takes it out of the generic for dance music. The voices blend really well together during harmony and I just think it's a cute banger especially when the beat kicks in.

099. Lizzo - Juice

Who can deny the uplifting sunny nature of this song? Great message, great delivery, nice take on a blend of rap and pop in the bridges (I always thought it said 'I like shotting naked, better over time' LOL), great laid back production, and Lizzo is just a star, there's nothing she can't sell. This song has become a bit overplayed for me but the atmosphere for this at Glastonbury was the absolute one.

098. Martin Garrix ft. Bonn - No Sleep

EVERY year there are a few Martin tracks in my top 100, he manages to put out some really stellar stuff on the constant. Really nice build from a balladesque start to a big banger, Bonn's voice is lovely especially when it lets fly on the 'find myself awake at night' part. It's not going to win awards for breaking boundaries but for what it is, it ticks many of the necessary boxes. A hit record.

097. Alessia Cara - Rooting For You

After - for me - a very disappointing second record, I have loved Alessia's return with her 'This Summer' project, and I wish one of the songs could have been a bona fide hit. This starts off so smooth and guitar led but soon has that scratch of the record effect and picks up a bit of pace. It is still so SUPER chilled though, but with a bit of funk underlying and I love the post chorus instrumental part. Her voice is mellow and gorgeous as ever. I found this a really gorgeous record for relaxing by the pool.

096. Selena Gomez - Look At Her Now

At first I thought this was a whole ass mess and preferred LYTLM, but this has really grown on me. Obviously she has a weak ass voice and YET there is still a real texture and beauty to it, in a really weird way. I can't say this is going to win any songwriting awards (though the 'it took a few years' part is lovely) but did it catch me and keep me gripped? Yes ma'am it did. I like how this is a trashy throwaway bop and YET it has a story, queen of juxtaposition!

095. Gorgon City, Kaskade & Romeo - Go Slow

Gorgon City rarely fail to provide. This one is a bit slow off the mark for me, though, in comparison to some others. I am not fully here for the verses. The bridge picks up the pace and starts to get me into it, but the chorus abso floors me. It's simplistic and catchy but MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN when that bass drops, it amps up a whole few levels, absolutely the best part of the track, turn it up loud!

094. MARINA - Superstar

I was really surprised to see people not take to MARINA on this era because for me there is some really strong stuff here. This was released as kind of a buzz single but I think has since had a video so I'm including it. I think there is still really strong songwriting here, MARINA's voice will never not be stunning and I adore the chorus breaking down to just her and piano before the beat kicks in. I think the whole thing is gorgeous and could have been a hit if pushed. I do see the arguments of 'a bit generic' but everyone else and their Mum is getting away with it, soooo... a bop.

093. Glowie - I'm Good

I don't know where I first heard this - maybe New Music Friday - but the production and vocal is so standout and strong that I was like 'I NEED to listen to this through' from the first second. A real hooker. It's production is so stellar, particularly when there is little backing and then this BOOM BOOM BOOM of the drums comes along in the background. I think it's a stellar pop song that is really boosted by the percussion and instrumentation. A real nice new discovery. Check it out below.

092. Friendly Fires - Lack of Love

A really interesting one, probably different to like 99% of the rest of my chart, this one definitely can't be accused of being generic. To me it has this almost like disco like beat, with a catchy melody over the top in the verses with some gorgeous harmonies. An absolute toe tapper. This is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea as it definitely goes left of centre at some points but it's an absolute stormer at others.

091. Fleur East - Favourite Thing

Last up for today it was so great to see Fleur make a return to the charts with such a solid comeback track - it's a shame it did practically nothing because visually, vocally, every way really, it was really interesting. I like the different influences, some feel like African chanting/drums and some points feel like there are Eastern influences too. I think this could have done really well with more of a push because it's a catchy pop song and she didn't just copy the mould like she has done with (the admittedly very catchy) Size. The best bit is the post chorus when she sings out 'and I want some moooore' and then belts out the main line an octave higher - worth checking out if you've not heard!

Comment

The fact Lizzo is at #99 makes the credibility of this list very questionable.

Go Slow is great, Lack Of Love is brilliant as is Favourite Thing, which should’ve been a smash! So wasted.

Comment

Lizzo is the best one here - bit low! Martin Garrix good too. Marina & Gorgon City tracks OK.

Comment

awesome songs by Marina & Glowie
                    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

"Juice" is much too low! "Look at Her Now" is okay.

Comment

099. Lizzo - Juice
                        091. Fleur East - Favourite Thing

Two absolute bops. I feel like that Fleur East song would have been PERFECT for Eurovision.

Comment

IT GOT OVERPLAYED, GUYS & GIRLIES

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                            IT GOT OVERPLAYED, GUYS & GIRLIES
                            LIAR.

Comment

090. The Amazons - Doubt It

First up today is this moody indie anthem. I really like the verses, particularly when the falsetto call back vocals come in, but it's the chorus over the constant drums that are the real highlight here. It has a really strong melody over a huge loud percussion moment and I live!

089. Ed Sheeran ft. Chance The Rapper & PnB Rock - Cross Me

I have really enjoyed Ed's experimental album, I'm not certain that it's as out of the box as he thinks it is BUT it has provided some great moments. This is catchy and authentic, my favourite part being the 'stay tripping am I crazy ohhhh no' bridge moment. It's nothing wildly groundbreaking but it's an enjoyable moment of Ed doing the other side of the music he loves.

088. David Guetta ft. RAYE - Stay (Don't Go Away)

RAYE is very underrated and it's good to see David G working with her on multiple occasions. This felt like it nearly became a hit, and it really should have done. RAYE's silky vocals are great on the verses but stand out most in the quick spitting 'love me in a tank top' bridge. This is another one that doesn't exactly break the mould but it's upbeat, funky and toe tapping.

087. Two Door Cinema Club - Talk

As you all know, one of my absolute favourite bands. They came back this year with a fair few funky singles and this was the first. Can't fault the intention behind it, disco mixed with funk mixed with pop melodies mixed with indie guitars, and I very very much enjoy it. Does it go all the way over the line to be one of my most adored singles by them? No. Is it guitar laden, dancefloor fodder that makes me smile all the same? Yeah! The first poll option to drop too, sorry!

086. Jonas Brothers - Only Human

I really think this ought to have been a second JoBro hit this year. I love the xylophone style melody intro and both Joe and Nick sound really strong on this. For such an ambling mid tempo I think they really sell it. The best bit is the 'dance in my living room' bridge, which is catchy and sexy in a slinky way, and the slowed/dropped out chorus (a fixture of songs I tend to enjoy) is great before the horn section and that beautiful xylo kick back in. Background music a bit, perhaps, but done really well.

085. Alessia Cara - Ready

Seems like this is a section for songs which are really freaking great but really freaking chill. I think it's harder to get excited about midtempos in that sense. But Alessia songs GORGEOUS and over such a sparse beat her vocals are really front and centre in the verses. The extra instrumentation in the chorus gives it a bit more of a push and while once again this could be described as a bit by numbers, I think this is way more of a return to form than what she delivered last time around. The verses are strong, though!

084. MARINA - Karma

Another of the MARINA singles now and she sounds stunning, nothing new! The bridges on these songs seem to be a big hit with me, that part is gorgeous but it's the 'funny how it all goes down' in all it's falsetto glory that takes the prize here. A really catchy, well written chorus which leads to a great instrumental breakdown. I think this could have been a hit with the right push.

083. Grace Carter - Heal Me

You may remember from last year and the success of Why Her Not Me that I really am a fan of Grace's voice and she did more for me this year with yet another strong midtempo. Her vocal goes a long way to selling whatever she is singing but this a thumping song with a big chorus that packs a punch and a few strings for good measure. Later in the song when it all drops out on 'FOR YOU TO LET ME DOWN LIKE THAT' is a big moment. Check it out below.

082. Dave - Black

This is probably one of the only songs on the list that is here for it's lyrical content, though it must be sad the eerie mysterious backing is also beautiful. But it just has such an important message, saying early doors 'black is excellent' and explaining from the horses mouth how you have to do twice as much to get half as much from the black perspective ('black is being guilty til it's proven that you're innocent'). It's so well written that it's actually emotional to me, even though that's not my heritage. This is by no means one of my most listened to songs of the year but is here on the pure strength of the writing and the message. It tells the black story so eloquently and excellently. Stunning, and honestly I should have spun it more.

081. Will Young - All The Songs

Last up today is this real surprise from Sir William. It's just a really good glittery shimmery slice of pop, really well written, staccato catchy verses, bold falsetto bridge where the beat really kicks in and - as we know I love - a drop out quiet chorus until the beat is gifted back to us. A super well crafted slice of pop that it would have been nice to see do much better

Comment

'Black' is such a powerful song, and shows how much of a great lyricist Dave is. One of my favourites of the year, such a shame that radio didn't show as much love to this song as they did with 'Funky Friday' or 'Location'....

'Heal Me' is great, but I need to see if Grace Carter can do more than just midtempos

Comment

087. Two Door Cinema Club - Talk - I was on the fence about it initially, but I've grown to enjoy it eventually
                                  081. Will Young - All The Songs - beyond brilliant...and also so smooth

Comment

Juice is a nice fun song. Superstar is one of Marina's best, I really enjoy it. Karma, on the other hand, does sound a bit too mainstream in places, though it does have the contagious "greek" vibe that I enjoy
                                    last.fm

Comment

Ed Sheeran track is the best for me. I enjoyed the collaborations project.

Comment

"Only Human" is definitely one of the best tracks from what was very much an average album.

"All the Songs", on the other hand, is sublime!

Comment

080. Sara Bareilles - Fire

As many of you will know, Sara is pretty much among my favourite artists ever and The Blessed Unrest is my all time top album. Amidst The Chaos contains some really nice music but it doesn't live up to the standard for me. This song is really nice though, going through to the chorus with minimal instrumentation aided by 'mmms' and a small guitar. It's unique in that sense, you can tell this is Sara at her more experimental, with a more conventional chorus. As ever she sounds impeccable, particularly on the closing 'fiiiiire'. It's interesting and mysterious, with great lyricism, just not among her very best for me. The building middle 8 is glorious though - 'in my chest, in my mouth, on my tongue, in my mind, in my soul, so my lungs can breathe in fire' - lovely.

079. Martin Garrix ft. Macklemore & Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy - Summer Days

This had a lot of replay value for me this summer. It starts off in such an intriguing fashion, you kind of don't know if it's going to be become a full on dance banger as Patrick sings over a sparse guitar backing but then a falsetto laden almost funky disco moment comes in for the chorus - but it still isn't fully fleshed. That happens in the middle of Macklemore's great rap verse, we get a big build over the cheeky 'wake up, f**k, and then we goin back to sleep' - at this point we're at a more robotic, Daft Punk esque place. I really rate most of Macklemore's raps to be honest - he's very good. This is musically incredibly interesting and I love that about Garrix - his works are not recycled ones.

078. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

I think this is going to get overlooked in many end of year charts despite the fact this really is Lewis' 'Someone Like You' moment, even with a similar title. And it's just because he's male and sounds a bit like James Arthur. But honestly that doesn't stop the fact this is an impeccably written power ballad. I love the little falsetto hints in the bridges. It gets a BIT shouty in the middle 8 but that leads into a gorgeous stripped back chorus and otherwise this is a really well crafted number that had deserved success.

077. MUNA - Number One Fan

This has one of the best starts of the year both lyrically 'so I heard the bad news, nobody likes me and I'm gonna die alone in my bedroom' - and sonically, with a pulsating beat from the very off. This song is so effortlessly cool and keeps that up in the catchy as hell bridge. If anything it's the chorus that is a bit too generic for me and lets the side down a bit but it's still impossibly danceable and chic. Love it.

076. Camila Cabello - Liar

There's more than a little bit of Havana recreation here but honestly, this is great pop. Sultry, clap-laden verse leading to a building bridge to a an Ace of Base swede-pop chorus. There are lots of influences here, it's stupidly catchy and rightly so was a radio staple towards the end of this year. It feels like it could push out a bit more (though we do get an experimental brass based ending) but this is solid pop right here.

075. Meghan Trainor ft. Lennon Stella & Sasha Sloan - Workin On It

One that you might not have expected but did you know that (up until Evil Twin!) Meghan Trainor has been releasing some ultra cool, much more mature material this year? Joined by two pals who are SOMETIMES indistinguishable but do add some real nice vocal flair and beautiful beautiful harmonies, Meghan has really peaked this year in my opinion. This is so subtle and mellow but still for me packs a huge punch and showcases some really gorgeous vocal moments. This is a Meghan I can get behind.

074. Jonas Brothers - Sucker

One that was everywhere now and for good reason to be fair. I'm not sure a better Jonas Brother single could have been picked, it's perfection for what they needed, 45 seconds of a plodding background with insanely catchy lyrics ('you're the medicine and the pain, the tattoo inside my brain') before a pre-chorus of dreams and a big drum beat kicks in. It's like the dream equation for pop music for their requirements and the whistling moments are the icing on the cake. Chefs kiss. It didn't really lose it's appeal despite huge replay value, either. They bossed it.

073. Emily Burns - Too Cool

Emily Burns has been putting out some really decent pop tunes for a while now and this is no exception. Good verses, great bridge about ice cream - but the chorus is the piece de resistance - upbeat enough to get you out of your chair, chilled enough so you can kick back and toe tap, and designed in almost a scale like sense where she seems to hit a million notes in one second flat. More highlights come later in the song with the anthem-esque singalong chant to 'coooooooooool'. Really great writing and such promise for a young artist. Have a listen.

072. Dynoro & Ina Wroldsen - Obsessed

Been a fan of Ina in various guises for years now - whether it be as the sixth Saturday or bossing Martin Solveig or Calvin Harris features. This one leans more to the latter but puts her more front and centre. It really showcases all sides of her vocal and there are some unique moments of writing which distinguish it from being a cookie cutter EDM anthem. There's almost an eerieness to the way some of it is put together and the chorus is irresisttible honestly. It's not quite as fleshed out as Places, but it's a very decent shot at another great feature.

071. Tiesto & Mabel - God Is A Dancer

I thought Mabel was very one note at first, but she's had a pretty decent year truth be told! I had thought all of her songs quite generic and took me a while to warm up to (and the same can be sad of Mad Love which I did end up enjoying) but this was very instant. Very current, she capitalised on what people were enjoying from her and gave them a whole load more of it. She sounds great and the 'step by step, left by left' moments are literally impossible not to have running round your brain on replay. I like when they come back to the same motif later on but to a different tempo and beat (won't you gimme that step by step won't you gimme that left right left ay?). Polished, not miles outside of the box, but infectious as hell.

Comment

I think "Someone You Loved" may be the best of this batch for me...which speaks volumes. "Sucker" isn't bad, though I'm still shocked it blew up the way it did.

Comment

077. MUNA - Number One Fan - this song is quite enjoyable

Comment

That Martin Garrix track was a surprise - I'm not normally into his music but that's one of his best. Agree with your write up of Lewis Capaldi. Good to see TiŽsto in there.

Comment

'God Is A Dancer' is a bop. Like Mabel a lot!
                                                  I also enjoyed "Summer Days" in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X