Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon's 2019 Faves | TOP 10 - NUMBER 1 REVEALED

PREVIOUS YEARS

Welcome to another year-end by me. I'd say this year has had more indie/less known and foreign-language entries than the previous couple of years. Am I slowly going back to my early Kmix indie days? Stay tuned and you'll find out! There will ofc be some basic crap as well, don't get your hopes up too much.

Starting as soon as I finish my list, hopefully very soon.
    last.fm

@ Azealia

I appreciate love for Anna Wintour!
    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

Here for the basic crap.
      Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Starting from 100 this time as I couldn't round up the number to 80, and 90 just didn't look good. So this lower part of the chart will consist of songs that may have only briefly caught my attention or are all in all decent, just didn't have replay value for me. Some big names fall already.

100. Hot Chip - Hungry Child

This is not a bad song at all, I was interested when I first heard it... I just totally forgot to play it much after that. Great if you like these haunting dancefloor songs.

99. Iggy Azalea - Sally Walker

She lost me this era, idk. I lived from the scrapped Digital Distortion singles and those EP single that came afterwards. This one never fully clicked with me. I guess the video is nice and I'm glad that it went a bit viral, but yeah, not feeling the urge to replay this.

98. Ariana Grande - break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored

It sounded cool at first, but got reeeeally old really fast. She's lost me as a potential fan by releasing all this samey stuff. The title seems kinda wannabe "provocative", but it's all just meh to me. I do like the beat and I would probably like this more if it wasn't preceded and followed by similar stuff from her.

97. Taylor Swift - You Need to Calm Down

The chorus gets into your ear, but overall it's not really Taylor's best, or even close. I prefered the Reputation singles. I think it's too safe for her, but not the good safe.

96. MIKA - Sanremo

It's a really cute song that has that retro/summer/beach vibe. Something is missing that would give it the special magic I want, so that's why it's not higher.
        last.fm

Comment

"Break Up..." is catchy. Charles Melton is sexy af in the video. "You Need to Calm Down" is one of the worst songs Taylor's ever recorded. I like the video for all the queer appearances, but awful song by her own standards. "Sanremo" is beautiful.

Comment

96. MIKA - Sanremo - stunning music video, the song is also really radio friendly
            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Agree about Sanremo, pretty and catchy.

Taylor's song is really beneath her possibilities, I guess she thought that the song would be "quirky/fun" enough to become a big hit like some of her earlier stuff.
              last.fm

Comment

95. Katy Perry - Harleys in Hawaii

This was a letdown after the lush Never Really Over, definitely a wasted opportunity to get back into hitmaking. I do enjoy the beachy mood of it all, but I don't feel any identity coming from her songs anymore, it's like she lost her spark. It's on my list because of the beachiness.

94. Taylor Swift - Lover

This one is quite nice actually, it's also very safe for her, but in a good way at least. She's doing what she does best and she manages to convey the feels. For me personally it still lacks something wow, but then again, I've never been a fan of her music pre-Reputation, so this is a success just by charting on my list at all.

93. Kate Nash - Bad Lieutenant

This reminds me of something sooo much, but can't pinpoint it. She's been very random for years, you never know what to expect from her. This time a dancey song, it seems. I have a feeling this would've been a hit if she'd released it back in her heyday.

92. Meghan Trainor - After You

It's nothing special for her or anyone really, but the melody is very pretty and I think this is among her underrated stuff. It's better than many recent mainstream love ballads.

91. Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Hole

I love the nostalgia that is all over her songs. This sounds like something you'd sing with old pals drunk in a bar, it has that kind of vibe for me. I don't like it as much as the stuff from her previous album sadly, but it's still sweet.
                last.fm

Comment

Hot Chip and Iggy are my faves, both solid tracks!

Comment

Only like 100 Hot Chip, 98 ariana and 94 Taylor Lover so far. Looking forward to the rest of the list though!
                    I have received many gifts from God,
                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Good to see some Taylor in there!
                      Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

93. Kate Nash - Bad Lieutenant - Kate is really one of the most underrated gems of modern pop, I enjoy whatever the hell she does: indie. rock, pop. electronic or a blend of all those things
                        91. Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Hole - psychedelic synthy hook totally sells it for me.
                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

"Lover" is beautiful. No one can accuse Taylor Swift of not being able to pen a quality love song.

Comment

Great to see Lover I became a Taylor fan quite recently after discovering "reputation".
                            2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

Gonna have the check out the Meghan one because in between a lot of the chaff she has some absolute gold.
                              SO good to see Kate, I don't think I even found space for it but I do bop to it.. you're right though she's so random.
                              The Taylor ones are decent but I think much of the album is stronger than what she released.
                              Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

100. Hot Chip - Hungry Child
                                98. Ariana Grande - break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored

Good to see Hot Chip, I really like 'Hungry Child'!

Comment

90. Iggy Azalea, Alice Chater - Lola

Sounds like a hit, but alas, it's Iggy, so no way. Plus, sounds like I Like It by Cardi. Maybe if it had been released first... Overall, it bops, but still doesn't come close to her best. I like the Alice girl here, she has some good moments.

89. Halsey - Clementine

Nice lullaby vibe, definitely among the only few songs I like from her. I like the repetitiveness of it, but I can understand why it's not exactly huge. The video is also quite sweet.

88. Carly Rae Jepsen - Now That I Found You

Nothing from her latest era wowed me, it all sounds like one same classic Carly song, but lacks the punch that her Emotion stuff had. This one comes closest to those, and the video is simply cute, can't go wrong with cats.

87. Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Lana Del Rey - Donít Call Me Angel

I'm so mixed about this. I love Miley and Lana's parts, but sadly too much Ariana, and she had to take over all of the choruses. Also, they look & sound so weird as a trio, not that much chemistry there the song's catchy but also a bit too repetitive maybe.

86. Caroline Polachek - Door

Not sure how to describe this, but it's such a pleasant listen. She has a gentle voice and I much prefer her solo stuff to Chairlift (never got into them).
                                  last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                    Hot Chip and Iggy are my faves, both solid tracks!
                                    Didn't know you liked the Iggy song, nice to see (even though she has much better)

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                    Only like 100 Hot Chip, 98 ariana and 94 Taylor Lover so far. Looking forward to the rest of the list though!
                                    You might like the Jenny Lewis and Caroline Polachek songs if you don't know them already

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                    93. Kate Nash - Bad Lieutenant - Kate is really one of the most underrated gems of modern pop, I enjoy whatever the hell she does: indie. rock, pop. electronic or a blend of all those things
                                    91. Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Hole - psychedelic synthy hook totally sells it for me.
                                    I agree about Kate, she's actually very versatile and talented, even though she sometimes misses too.

Originally posted by steophonic View Post
                                    Good to see some Taylor in there!
                                    Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                    "Lover" is beautiful. No one can accuse Taylor Swift of not being able to pen a quality love song.
                                    Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
                                    Great to see Lover I became a Taylor fan quite recently after discovering "reputation".
                                    Sadly Lover will be her highest song this year here (spoiler alert) but it's indeed a good love song from her
                                    last.fm

Comment

Oh yes, Pang is one of my fave albums this year. Hopefully Caroline Shut Up makes an appearance.

I don't listen to Jenny Lewis. I gave a spin to The Voyager when it came out, but I didn't like it that much if I remember correctly.

Comment

Aaaand didn't realize you posted a batch where Door is included.

Surprised to see Don't Call Me Angel. I like the song, but it's getting hate left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                          Oh yes, Pang is one of my fave albums this year. Hopefully Caroline Shut Up makes an appearance.

I don't listen to Jenny Lewis. I gave a spin to The Voyager when it came out, but I didn't like it that much if I remember correctly.
                                          Oh The Voyager is one of my fave albums, I played it like crazy when it came out :( haven't checked the new one as I didn't like the singles that much

There'll be one more Caroline song in the list, I'll tell you that
                                          last.fm

Comment

85. Tove Lo feat. ALMA - Bad as the Boys

I'm still on the fence about Tove Lo's new music. I kinda miss the in-your-face vibe and big bops she had. This feels a bit lukewarm in comparison, but it's still a solid pop song in its own way. Tove can do good melodies.

84. Ava Max - Freaking Me Out

I really like the verses - the melody and her vocals are stunning. It's the chorus that brings the song down for me, sounds kinda lame. The Halloween release & video were a cute idea.

83. Meghan Trainor feat. Mike Sabath - Wave

Interesting structure, sounds quite euphoric. Idk why I keep enjoying most of her recent stuff, I couldn't stand her when she started. It's nice that she's trying to grow a bit, but seems like her hit days are gone.

82. Alicia Keys - Time Machine

Simply a cool song, not much to say. Love the beat, her vocals and the fact that she's not screaching. I did liked HERE, which is an unpopular opinion, and I think this is another step up.

81. Dido - Give You Up

Odd choice for a lead single, but nonetheless a very nice and soothing song. There's this wistful and calm vibe she always has and that will never get old when it comes to her music.
                                            last.fm

Comment

I absolutely adore "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored".
                                              From the album, "You Need To Calm Down" definitely is not the strongest song but I absolutely love the title track. Great to see both songs charting here.

"Now That I Found You" is my personal all-time favorite song by Carly Rae Jepsen.

Comment

That Iggy song is fun, but it does remind me lots of 'I Like It' by Cardi.
                                                I had forgotten about the Alicia Keys song, it's a bit of a bop!

Comment

I heard "Freaking Me Out" at a restaurant today. It sounded better than it did the last time I listened to it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X