No announcement yet.

Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [#1 Revealed!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand out for me is "The Man". I don't know why I suddenly started to like Taylor Swift music after all these years but a really solid album from her - that was certainly a highlight.
    Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

• 010. MNEK - Tongue
      009. Will Young - All the Songs
      008. Lil Nas X - Rodeo (feat. Cardi B)
      007. RuPaul - Kitty Girl (feat. Kennedy Davenport, Shangela, Bebe Zahara Benet, & Trixie Mattel)
      006. Carrie Underwood - End Up with You
      005. Taylor Swift - The Man
      004. P!nk - Courage
      003. Lana Del Rey - F**k It, I Love You
      Ok, I already was surprised to see several appearances by MNEK on your countdown and here he is yet again. I had no idea his debut album got you that much, but that's cool. I still think "Never Forget You" with Zara Larsson is the best thing he put out, but then I have a special connection to this song so it's probably not a fair comparison anyway. "Tongue" is definitely a good tune and I'm excited for more MNEK music!

"All The Songs" is a great Pop tune and actually the first time I was digging one of Will's songs and then got the album as well (my first album by Will Young!). Great tune. Should have been a hit in the UK...

YASSS to "Kitty Girl" being the highest RPDR appearance on your countdown! It was the very first RPDR song that entered my charts and it did it straight at #1 back then. Such a fun, uplifting Pop track and I also think all verses are pretty good, fit well with Ru's chorus and it's a song that gets you in a good mood every time you listen to it. I also enjoy Bebe's verse though, her moment at 2:51 in the video is so hilarious for all the wrong reasons

"End Up With You", "The Man", "Courage" and "F**k It, I Love You" are all going into the same category for me: Very good tracks (better than 90%+ of the stuff in the charts) but still not the highlights of these albums for me personally. So I do really like them, even though there'd be some other songs I definitely prefer from these artists/these albums.

Interesting Top2!
      I do like them both, but Lizzo had such a fantastic year so my bet goes to her at #1

Comment

• Tongue my guess didn't quite make it but it's good to see, Kitty Girl is fun but we've discussed DR lol (btw check out Now Or Never by Blair. - we will agree to disagree on the Carly climax!)

Big fan of The Man - LOVE the line 'when everyone believes ya - what's that's like?' Great song great message.

All the Songs is great to see too!
        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
          I absolutely adore EVERY song in the positions #5 to #3.

'The Man' is actually on my playlist when I go running. No pun intended, but the lyrics really motivate me to run even faster.

Having started my coming out this year, 'Courage' and even 'F uck It, I Love You' were important songs for me when I had to deal with several things in that time actually, so they have a very special place in my heart aswell.
          Have I the courage of change? Yes.
          I actually did laugh about "The Man" motivating you to run faster! I think it's an uplifting (and relatable) song for all minorities, though.

Ah, happy to hear "Courage" and "F**k It..." are helping you through that arduous journey. Music and its limitless powers >>>

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
          I'm so behind, time to play catch up.

So firstly there are the songs i've loved enough to enter my own chart throughout 2019.

198. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
          186. Ava Max - Freaking Me Out
          176. Jorja Smith - Be Honest (feat. Burna Boy)
          164. Years & Years + MNEK - Valentino
          163. Lindsey Stirling - Underground
          162. Luca Hšnni - She Got Me
          161. Duncan Laurence - Arcade
          157. Harry Styles - Lights Up
          155. Florence + the Machine - Moderation
          152. Kelly Clarkson - Broken & Beautiful
          148. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
          146. Will Young - Ground Running
          144. Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
          140. TiŽsto, Jonas Blue, & Rita Ora - Ritual
          139. Billie Eilish - Everything I Wanted
          138. A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera - Fall on Me
          131. John Newman & Nina Nesbitt - Without You
          125. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
          123. Billie Eilish - Bury a Friend

121. Billie Eilish - You Should See Me in a Crown
          119. Beyoncť - Spirit
          118. Madonna - Future (feat. Quavo)
          117. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
          116. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing with a Stranger
          115. Adam Lambert - Superpower
          112. Madonna - Crave (feat. Swae Lee)
          110. Billie Eilish - All the Good Girls Go to Hell
          106. OneRepublic - Rescue Me

Bolded songs went to #1 and will definitely be appearing in my top 100 of 2019.
          I figured you would chastise me for having "Don't Start Now" so low.

Here's another batch of favourites up to #11 - want to comment on the top 10 as each track is revealed (i like surprises )

100. Todrick Hall - Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels
          097. Maren Morris - The Bones
          095. Will Young - Scars
          094. Madonna - Faz Gostoso (feat. Anitta)
          091. Jax Jones + Years & Years - Play
          088. Ariana Grande - Fake Smile
          087. The Weeknd - Heartless
          086. KEiiNO - Spirit in the Sky
          083. John Lundvik - Too Late for Love
          079. Lizzo - Good as Hell
          078. Lil Nas X - Old Town Road (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus)
          077. Carly Rae Jepsen - Too Much
          076. Madonna - I Rise
          074. Ava Max - Torn
          073. Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, & Lana Del Rey - Don't Call Me Angel

072. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - SeŮorita
          070. Madonna - God Control
          069. Miley Cyrus - Slide Away
          064. Cťline Dion - Imperfections
          063. Will Young - My Love
          062. Lana Del Rey - Cinnamon Girl
          061. Lana Del Rey - The Greatest
          060. Selena Gomez - Lose You to Love Me
          059. Will Young - Faithless Love
          055. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
          053. Cťline Dion - Flying on My Own
          052. Lana Del Rey - Happiness is a Butterfly
          050. Ariana Grande - Imagine
          048. Todrick Hall - I Like Boys
          043. Alle Farben & ILIRA - Fading
          042. Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep?
          040. Tinashe - Die a Little Bit (feat. Ms. Banks)
          037. Mark Ronson - Nothing Breaks Like a Heart (feat. Miley Cyrus)
          036. Lauren Jauregui - More Than That
          034. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
          032. Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar
          028. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings
          018. Ariana Grande - Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
          016. Beyoncť - Before I Let Go
          014. Michela - Chameleon
          013. Ava Max - So Am I
          011. Megan Thee Stallion - Hot Girl Summer (feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign)

Aww i'm happy that you made a nice discovery in Fading. End of last year i was checking out hits in other countries to potentially enter into the FSC - but as is usually the case, the country i wanted to represent was already taken.
          That used to happen to me a lot in the FSC, too! I need to start playing again.

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
          009. Will Young - All the Songs - sheer pop brilliance on full display
          Agreed!

010. MNEK - Tongue

Going through your year end chart, iíve seen quite a few tracks by MNEK appear. I think @Thriller also loved Tongue as well iirc. Iím sure i checked this out at the time but i guess it didnít click as much with me. I checked my spreadsheet as i thought this mightíve scrapped into my top 20 but it didnít chart in the end.
          Yeah, I think Mike's a pretty big fan of it. I remember reading positive comments from him in the song's thread.

009. Will Young - All the Songs

Amazing return from Will. In fact the whole Lexicon album was a triumph imo but All the songs really was the perfect song to introduce the new album. Such a shame the music video ended up getting blocked - i still canít understand why this happened as the outtakes video on YouTube is still available to watch. Anyways, i still adore this and i think itís fair to say this will also be riding high in my top 100 of 2019.
          This was one of our shared #1 moments of 2019!

008. Lil Nas X - Rodeo (feat. Cardi B)

Have to admit, i really struggled to get into any of tho Lil Nas X tracks from his ep. I will say i prefer this more than Panini. I think whenever an artist has such a monumental debut single, itís always difficult to follow it up with something that has the same appeal. Whilst thatís not the case here, it certainly was for me.
          Aw, I love "Rodeo". Cardi's verse is everything to me!

007. RuPaul - Kitty Girl (feat. Kennedy Davenport, Shangela, Bebe Zahara Benet, & Trixie Mattel)

Gosh iím so out of the loop with all these RuPaulís drag race songs. I know you and @Tansike are big fans of the show. So iím watching the music video now and i canít help but smile at this. Itís actually a shame that we donít have this type of carefree camp flamboyant pop music making the charts anymore. Mmm there are some juicy shirtless guys in this video which is making the whole thing so much more enjoyable!!!! *switches on fan* lol
          Drag Race knows its audience!

006. Carrie Underwood - End Up with You

This clearly passed me by completely last year. Carrie didnít have any songs enter my chart in 2019 but successfully got 3 entries last year. Iíve had to get over Kitty girl quickly to fully concentrate on this song. Itís a lovely pleasant song but itís not really grabbing my attention in quite the same way as her singles like The champion and Love wins managed to. Itís a nice track though.
          Yeah, it's a quiet storm "End Up with You". It took me a full year, a live concert performance, and about 20 or so spins to really click with me.

005. Taylor Swift - The Man

Ohh colour me intrigued. I hadnít checked out any of the album tracks from Lover but this is sounding good on first listen. Already iím thinking ďthis would make a great singleĒ which always makes me question why such great album tracks get overlooked. I can understand why a song like You need to calm down was chosen a single but The man, imo, is so much better by comparison.
          Oh, I hadn't realised you didn't check out Lover in full. You're missing out!

004. P!nk - Courage

Ahh yes i do remember you highlighting this as your favourite album track. I actually think i did check this out earlier in the year but didnít return to the song. Listening again now after all this time and it does sound magnificent. I was quite underwhelmed with the singles from Hurts 2b human which is why i wasnít as keen to check out the album instantly upon its release. This follows The man nicely as another strong example of an album track where the record company didnít see any hit potential.

Shame that it looks like nether of these tracks will be released as singles now. Feels like a wasted opportunity.
          Yeah, I had low expectations heading into Hurts 2B Human, too. Again, single choices were...a choice!

003. Lana Del Rey - F**k It, I Love You

I remember when Lana released a duel-music video for this track and The greatest. As much as i did enjoy F**k it, i love you, i was drawn more towards The greatest with its rich yet melancholy nature. I loved the melody in the latter song more too which is another reason why i preferred this out of the two songs.
          I don't think I've actually seen the video for this yet! I remember when music videos were such a big event. Fans would count down the minutes and seconds to the premiere, and everyone would have loads to pick apart or praise afterwards. They've become such a non-event these days, sadly.

GOSH!!!! You will have to check out my top 100 of 2019 to see if weíve ended up with the same top 2 two years running.
          I think we will, but I'm eager for confirmation!

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
          Tongue and Kitty Girl are a year late but theyíre both brilliant songs!

All The Songs was a great return to form.
          Yeah, I didn't see the rainbow signal for MNEK and it's my own fault for getting into Drag Race so late.

Glad you appreciate "All the Songs".

Originally posted by steophonic View Post
          Stand out for me is "The Man". I don't know why I suddenly started to like Taylor Swift music after all these years but a really solid album from her - that was certainly a highlight.
          She wears most people down eventually!

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
          Ok, I already was surprised to see several appearances by MNEK on your countdown and here he is yet again. I had no idea his debut album got you that much, but that's cool. I still think "Never Forget You" with Zara Larsson is the best thing he put out, but then I have a special connection to this song so it's probably not a fair comparison anyway. "Tongue" is definitely a good tune and I'm excited for more MNEK music!
          Yeah, I was pretty into MNEK's music in late December/early January, but that's EOY countdown season, so its easy to lose track of things then. Glad you like "Tongue".

"All The Songs" is a great Pop tune and actually the first time I was digging one of Will's songs and then got the album as well (my first album by Will Young!). Great tune. Should have been a hit in the UK...
          Ah, come through, Lexicon, getting those crucial Swiss sales!

YASSS to "Kitty Girl" being the highest RPDR appearance on your countdown! It was the very first RPDR song that entered my charts and it did it straight at #1 back then. Such a fun, uplifting Pop track and I also think all verses are pretty good, fit well with Ru's chorus and it's a song that gets you in a good mood every time you listen to it. I also enjoy Bebe's verse though, her moment at 2:51 in the video is so hilarious for all the wrong reasons
          I feel like I heard the song through your countdown at the time, but it didn't stick with me until I got into the show!

"End Up With You", "The Man", "Courage" and "F**k It, I Love You" are all going into the same category for me: Very good tracks (better than 90%+ of the stuff in the charts) but still not the highlights of these albums for me personally. So I do really like them, even though there'd be some other songs I definitely prefer from these artists/these albums.
          Yeah, they're fairly unpopular 'fave' picks, but glad you have some degree of appreciation for each of them!

Interesting Top2!
          I do like them both, but Lizzo had such a fantastic year so my bet goes to her at #1
          We'll find out soon enough if you're right!

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
          Tongue my guess didn't quite make it but it's good to see, Kitty Girl is fun but we've discussed DR lol (btw check out Now Or Never by Blair. - we will agree to disagree on the Carly climax!)
          I'll definitely check out that one. Thanks for the recommendation!

Big fan of The Man - LOVE the line 'when everyone believes ya - what's that's like?' Great song great message.
          Same here!

All the Songs is great to see too!
          Never expected to have a Will Young song top 10 in my 2019 YEC, but that's life and its randomness for ya!
          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

• Many thanks to everyone for following and taking time out to post a comment. It's much-appreciated! Happy New Year in advance. May you all be safe, surrounded by genuine love, feel fulfilled, and be at peace in 2020. Now it's time for the conclusion!

002. Kygo x Whitney Houston - Higher Love

I sometimes fall behind with new releases, so I was completely unaware of this song's existence until Sven (Mainshow) commented on my daily chart, acknowledging his surprise at its absence. When I checked out the song's thread, and saw it was Kygo and Whitney Houston, I braced myself for the track inevitably raising my blood pressure, having viewed Kygo as a poor man's Calvin Harris (who I already view as a poor man's David Guetta) and pressed play. Whitney's background vocals slowly melding into a singular vocal - so far, so good. Solid first verse, all right, we're cooking with fire here. And then the soaring chorus! Magic. Whitney is a vocal force, the likes of which we'll likely never again see, and this track honours that. My only minor gripe is that, as with so many dance tracks this decade, the post-chorus isn't as fully supported as I would like it to be. The Higher love lyric is used aplenty in the choruses, and there are parts where I feel the vocal is left to fend for itself a bit. To that end, the song does feel a bit lacking in the area of completeness in its production, but the highlight was always going to be Whitney's voice, and that shines through brilliantly here. Many thanks to Kygo for a worthy tribute to the Voice.
            Code:
            Quality Rating: 10/10
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(7)
            Play Count: 231
            001. Lizzo - Juice

"'Juice' is particularly snappy!" read my post in JakeP's weekly chart thread in early March, which was when and where I discovered "Juice". I'd had no prior interaction with Lizzo's work before, but was immediately impressed by the largeness of the song. It throws the kitchen sink at you, and just keeps on rolling and punching, snapping and twirling, grooving and swaying the whole three-minute ride, full of soul and mixed with a powerful blend of dance, pop, R&B, and funk. There isn't a moment of rest, and I love that wild joy about it. We're assaulted with brilliant one-liners throughout and every time you think her well's run dry, she comes up with another top quip. It's unapologetic. It's bold. It's overwhelmingly positive. It's unshakably confident. In a year where my self-esteem dove into the abyss, "Juice" was a welcome pick-me-up to remind my forgetful self of my 'full meal' status. For good measure, she recorded a "Juice" video with some queens from RuPaul's Drag Race, and that sealed the deal for me. Nothing sums up my 2019 in music better than "Juice". Kudos to Lizzo on delivering a truly excellent song.
            Code:
            Quality Rating: 10/10
            Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(7)
            Play Count: 292

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

• The second Year-end chart on UKMix where Lizzo is #1, what a force.
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Yes Akini

As i posted in my chart of 2019 thread, there is no denying Higher love and Juice have been two of my personal absolute favourite songs of the year. In both cases they climbed to #1 which usually indicates a big growth in popularity as the songs fend off the competition to reign victorious. Both tracks received so much love from me so let's see how this plays out in my own thread.

Re; your comment about Higher love, let's just revisit my initial thoughts on the song.

Ahh i know the song you're referring to. So it's gonna be another midtempo tropical house track?

Just what the world needs right now, the 6 millionth tropical house track.

(i hope i'm wrong )
                Technically i'd say it was still in the essence of tropical house but i honestly think Kygo respected Whitney's vocals so beautifully and with honour and respect. I think you also commented on your approval of keeping in the gospel elements of the backing vocals. That is also make helped this song stand out above everything else in the summer. It was an amazing adaptation/reworking of the original - which i admit i'd never heard until this was released.

I'm still quite bitter about the fact this got so close to going to #1 in the UK but denied by Ed Sheeran with, imo, his weakest single in his entire career. That basically summed up everything that was wrong with the UK charts in 2019.

As for Lizzo, your description couldn't be more accurate if it tried. Everything about Juice is bold, brash, in yer face and confident. A real "gurl, you got it so flaunt it bitch" attitude. Again, a song that really deserved more success in the charts (not just in the UK but even America). Odd to think Truth hurts ended up #1 in America purely thanks to those dna test memes that dominated social media over the summer. As much i was delighted for Lizzo, it should've been Juice getting that success.

This is why i love following personal charts. They're guaranteed to be so much more interesting to check every week. <3

Comment

• This one is my absolute fave in your Top 10, however it was a 2018 bop for me:

You have a lot of great songs in your countdown though!
                  [#1 REVEALED!] 2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

My Song Charts

Comment

• Now I understand why you were so upset when Juice stalled at #4 on my countdown

Still, I love Lizzo and even if it didn't get its proper due, I still really love the song.

And of course, thrilled to see Whitney finish at #2.

Happy new year, Akini!

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                      Ah, come through, Lexicon, getting those crucial Swiss sales!
                      Fun fact: "Lexicon" actually really became Will's very first chart entry on the official Swiss Album Charts (at #84)

002. Kygo x Whitney Houston - Higher Love
                      001. Lizzo - Juice
                      Great Top2 and I had a felling Lizzo will be #1!

"Higher Love" did well for me as well while I kinda overlooked "Juice" during its time. Looking back, I should have given it more attention. Lizzo definitely deserves all the success she gets and I just love the story how she basically came out of nowhere with a two year old song and started to slay the charts with some of her other songs as well afterwards. You don't see that often.

Comment

• Can't argue with either of those, neither came Close for me and yet I think they are both really solid excellent pop songs. Good picks!
                        Lizzo's message and presence rather than the particular singles themselves are right at the top of the pile of the year for me, though if Water Me had got a rerelease then that would have challenged!
                        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• Two great, feel-good, songs as your top 2! Love that and both songs

Comment

• Great top 2 there. Definitely two of the best of the year and both have featured in my top 100 too.
                            Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                              Yeah, I think "Happy Place" will go down as one of your biggest influences on my chart (and me)! Like you said, the Terror Jr approach feels the most authentic, and I think that's because when you come to that I may have to be my own damn hero conclusion, it's not typically backdropped against emotions that warrant melodramatic piano strings. It's very often an extremely low, debilitating point, without fanfare, and I love how everything in "Happy Place" - lyrics, melody, delivery - capture that.

• I added Songs For You to my library about a week ago, so it's been interesting getting to know the album, and then coming here to discover exactly how these tracks fared with you (aside from already knowing that "Know Better" was your clear standout). I'm getting the impression that 2019 was an especially sexy (or maybe sexually-frustrating) year for you, with the placement of "So Much Better" being a prime indicator (in addition to several other entries). G-Eazy has a pretty sexy voice, and he's definitely not mincing words on this one: "when I leave the studio, I swear I'm f**kin you, I mean for real, Tinashe, let's leave here right now..." He can barely keep it in his pants long enough to finish the damn song (and I can't say I mind that image/offer).
                              I LOVE that "Honey" VS "Chocolate" chart factoid! Honey is an album I really should revisit in 2020. I gave it a handful of spins back in 2018, but I had a hard time looking/listening past the disappointment that it lacked anything in the vein of "Be Mine," "Dancing On My Own," "Call Your Girlfriend," etc.
                              • "The Man" is our only other Top 50 of 2019-overlap besides "Happy Place," but leave it to Tay to still find a way to bring our charts together in an otherwise divergent year for us. This track does the style+substance blend pretty perfectly, so it makes sense that many fans are pushing for it to become single #4. I can't applaud enough at your kind words regarding her songwriting skills.
                              • Lizzo blew UP last year, and it's easy to see why basically everyone on the planet started rooting for her (myself included). She's truly effervescent, and the positive energy she radiates is evident throughout "Juice," which feels particularly inclusive for an "I'm hot sh*t" anthem: "lit up like a crystal ball, that's cool baby, so is you, that's how I roll, if I'm shinin', everybody gonna shine." That isn't just big talk - her attitude really is infectious, so it's no wonder that millions of listeners wanted to get on board with her. The trajectory of her breakthrough has also been fascinating to follow from a chart-watcher perspective, with her older singles getting new leases on life and eclipsing her current album's offerings (at least in the US). Here's hoping her momentum keeps right on rolling into the '20's!
                              last.fm

Comment

• This is a nice #1 and it deserves its spot
                                last.fm

Comment

• Flawless top 2!

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                    The second Year-end chart on UKMix where Lizzo is #1, what a force.
                                    And Thriller made it three!

Yes Akini

As i posted in my chart of 2019 thread, there is no denying Higher love and Juice have been two of my personal absolute favourite songs of the year. In both cases they climbed to #1 which usually indicates a big growth in popularity as the songs fend off the competition to reign victorious. Both tracks received so much love from me so let's see how this plays out in my own thread.

Re; your comment about Higher love, let's just revisit my initial thoughts on the song.

Technically i'd say it was still in the essence of tropical house but i honestly think Kygo respected Whitney's vocals so beautifully and with honour and respect. I think you also commented on your approval of keeping in the gospel elements of the backing vocals. That is also make helped this song stand out above everything else in the summer. It was an amazing adaptation/reworking of the original - which i admit i'd never heard until this was released.

I'm still quite bitter about the fact this got so close to going to #1 in the UK but denied by Ed Sheeran with, imo, his weakest single in his entire career. That basically summed up everything that was wrong with the UK charts in 2019.

As for Lizzo, your description couldn't be more accurate if it tried. Everything about Juice is bold, brash, in yer face and confident. A real "gurl, you got it so flaunt it bitch" attitude. Again, a song that really deserved more success in the charts (not just in the UK but even America). Odd to think Truth hurts ended up #1 in America purely thanks to those dna test memes that dominated social media over the summer. As much i was delighted for Lizzo, it should've been Juice getting that success.

This is why i love following personal charts. They're guaranteed to be so much more interesting to check every week. <3
                                    Not at all surprised that you also hold my top two in high esteem!

I was also displeased by "Higher Love" being denied the UK #1 and the fact that it was by Ed and that...song didn't make things better. So I'm on the same page with you on that as well.

Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
                                    This one is my absolute fave in your Top 10, however it was a 2018 bop for me:

You have a lot of great songs in your countdown though!
                                    Glad you love that one as well. I got into Drag Race a decade late, so the magic all counted as 2019 bops for me.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                    Now I understand why you were so upset when Juice stalled at #4 on my countdown

Still, I love Lizzo and even if it didn't get its proper due, I still really love the song.

And of course, thrilled to see Whitney finish at #2.

Happy new year, Akini!
                                    Indeed!

Happy 2020, CT!

Fun fact: "Lexicon" actually really became Will's very first chart entry on the official Swiss Album Charts (at #84)
                                    Cute!

Great Top2 and I had a felling Lizzo will be #1!

"Higher Love" did well for me as well while I kinda overlooked "Juice" during its time. Looking back, I should have given it more attention. Lizzo definitely deserves all the success she gets and I just love the story how she basically came out of nowhere with a two year old song and started to slay the charts with some of her other songs as well afterwards. You don't see that often.
                                    Yeah, Lizzo had an interesting ascent to the top and much like Ari's 2018 output, I really loved the messages of Lizzo's music in 2019.

Can't argue with either of those, neither came Close for me and yet I think they are both really solid excellent pop songs. Good picks!
                                    Lizzo's message and presence rather than the particular singles themselves are right at the top of the pile of the year for me, though if Water Me had got a rerelease then that would have challenged!
                                    Glad you like them!

Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
                                    Two great, feel-good, songs as your top 2! Love that and both songs
                                    Happy you appreciate them, Carly!

Originally posted by steophonic View Post
                                    Great top 2 there. Definitely two of the best of the year and both have featured in my top 100 too.

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                    ē I added Songs For You to my library about a week ago, so it's been interesting getting to know the album, and then coming here to discover exactly how these tracks fared with you (aside from already knowing that "Know Better" was your clear standout). I'm getting the impression that 2019 was an especially sexy (or maybe sexually-frustrating) year for you, with the placement of "So Much Better" being a prime indicator (in addition to several other entries). G-Eazy has a pretty sexy voice, and he's definitely not mincing words on this one: "when I leave the studio, I swear I'm f**kin you, I mean for real, Tinashe, let's leave here right now..." He can barely keep it in his pants long enough to finish the damn song (and I can't say I mind that image/offer).
                                    I would certainly say that 2019 was my boldest year in the romance department, though still PG-13 by most standards, I'm sure. I'd say it was both!

ē I LOVE that "Honey" VS "Chocolate" chart factoid! Honey is an album I really should revisit in 2020. I gave it a handful of spins back in 2018, but I had a hard time looking/listening past the disappointment that it lacked anything in the vein of "Be Mine," "Dancing On My Own," "Call Your Girlfriend," etc.
                                    I actually think "Honey" isn't too far off from "Dancing on My Own".

ē "The Man" is our only other Top 50 of 2019-overlap besides "Happy Place," but leave it to Tay to still find a way to bring our charts together in an otherwise divergent year for us. This track does the style+substance blend pretty perfectly, so it makes sense that many fans are pushing for it to become single #4. I can't applaud enough at your kind words regarding her songwriting skills.
                                    To me, it's crazy that it wasn't a single already. It was the standout on the album from spin number one!

ē Lizzo blew UP last year, and it's easy to see why basically everyone on the planet started rooting for her (myself included). She's truly effervescent, and the positive energy she radiates is evident throughout "Juice," which feels particularly inclusive for an "I'm hot sh*t" anthem: "lit up like a crystal ball, that's cool baby, so is you, that's how I roll, if I'm shinin', everybody gonna shine." That isn't just big talk - her attitude really is infectious, so it's no wonder that millions of listeners wanted to get on board with her. The trajectory of her breakthrough has also been fascinating to follow from a chart-watcher perspective, with her older singles getting new leases on life and eclipsing her current album's offerings (at least in the US). Here's hoping her momentum keeps right on rolling into the '20's!
                                    Yeah, I'm curious to hear what her sophomore effort sounds like. I think she has a lot of talent and I'm excited to hear some other message songs from her. "Juice" will be a tough anthem to top, though.

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                    This is a nice #1 and it deserves its spot
                                    Glad you think so!

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                    Flawless top 2!
                                    #1 buddies this year!

Comment

• Don't worry, I got into Drag Race in 2017, also very late, and I absolutely don't know why One of my friends talked to me about it a bit, but somehow I never checked it out. I wish I could have enjoyed the AS2 experience as it happened.
                                      [#1 REVEALED!] 2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

My Song Charts

Comment

• Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
                                        Don't worry, I got into Drag Race in 2017, also very late, and I absolutely don't know why One of my friends talked to me about it a bit, but somehow I never checked it out. I wish I could have enjoyed the AS2 experience as it happened.
                                        It was pretty random for me as well. I think I just wanted something new to watch on Netflix and it was in the LGBTQ section so I thought, "Lemme finally give this a chance." And the rest is history.

Comment

Working...
                                        X