No announcement yet.

Tansike's Year-End Charts 2019 [#1 revealed]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I liked Lena's debut, but every next album was worse than previous.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbon View Post
      Wasn't a big album listener, but from the last batch I did enjoy Miley's EP. I'm quite a stan at this point tbh!

I tried Taylor's Lover, but few songs really stuck with me. I do appreciate how chill, mature and wholesome it sounds (bar a few exceptions), and I think the length is a flaw, but also makes it unique in her catalogue and, if you fully get into it, probably a rewarding listen all the way. Tori Amos had a number of 18-track albums that I disgested track by track for a long time, so I kinda like that she made it this long. Personally for me, I'm more of a Reputation guy even though this album feels much more mature.

The Ariana albums weren't my thing, I want her to go pop again at this point. TUN seems like a Part 2 of Sweetener, but nothing really stuck with me there.
      Glad to hear that about Miley! She really proved she's not that Disney/Bubblegum-Pop girl anymore and I love what she put out between late 2018 and 2019, so fingers crossed she continues with the awesome music in 2020. A shame she's not that successful anymore though.

Aw, that's a shame, as "Lover" felt like it's an album many people enjoyed again after being disappointed by "Reputation". I'm usually not the biggest fan of albums with a length of 60+ minutes, especially not in Pop as there are often way too many fillers, but I think Taylor did an awesome job on "Lover". Fingers crossed she gets you more with her next album then

Even though I loved "Sweetener" and also enjoyed "thank u, next" a lot, I still agree about Ariana doing (more) Pop again. But considering how successful she has been with those two, I think she'll continue with this sound. Only if Pop gets more popular again on the charts she may go back...

Comment

• Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
        Lover <3 Miss Americana is perfect
        It is

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
          I liked Lena's debut, but every next album was worse than previous.
          Aw... we're kinda different there I guess, as I thought she got better with each album for her first four albums, but "Only Love, L" is a step down from "Crystal Sky" to me.

Comment

5. Eurovision Song Contest 2019
            258 points

Chartrun: *1*-3-5-2-1-1-2-3-3-3-5-7-10-15-15-12-13-19-Out / 18w
            Certification: PLATINUM

As every year, the Eurovision Song Contest also was a huge moment on my personal charts in 2019. There were a few differences compared to previous years though, as I only got into a few songs before the contest started instead of already bopping to most of them, but in the end 2019 became the most successful year for the biggest music event of the world ever for me. All Eurovision entries together got 3,309 chart points, beating the record previously held by the 2016 edition with 3,027 points. The compilation itself also became the most successful one ever with 258 points, beating the record previously held by the 2016 edition as well with 201 points. It’s also the highest placed compilation ever on one of my Year-End Charts, beating the Eurovision compilations from 2012 (#7), 2016 (#8) and 2018 (#8).

Ten Eurovision entries also made it to the Top100 of the Singles Year-End Charts 2019 with Tamta’s Replay (#5, Cyprus), Michela’s Chameleon (#7, Malta), Keiino’s Spirit In The Sky (#9, Norway), Zena’s Like It (#30, Belarus), Duncan Laurence’ Arcade (#31, Netherlands), Kate Miller-Heidke’s Zero Gravity (#42, Australia), Ester Peony’s On A Sunday (#64, Romania), Luca Hänni’s She Got Me (#81, Switzerland), Mahmood’s Soldi (#91, Italy) and Bilal Hassani’s Roi (#98, France). These obviously belong to my favorite entries of the year, with further standouts being Papai Joci’s Az én apám (#165, Hungary), Chingiz’ Truth (#176, Azerbaijan) and Miki’s La venda (#182, Spain).

4. Kerli – Shadow Works
            288 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-2-3-4-5-8-11-14-17-16-13-14-7-8-13-16-14-19-Out-RE 15-10-14-19-Out-RE 17-Out-RE 16-SC / 27w

So here’s the first major surprise: Estonian songstress Kerli sits at #4 with her second full-length studio album Shadow Works. People who have been following my personal charts know that she’s been my most favorite artist ever since I’ve discovered her in 2008. In addition to that, Kerli’s debut album Love Is Dead (2008, certified with 3x Platinum) and the mini album Utopia (2013, certified with 5x Platinum) both belong to the most successful albums on my personal charts ever. So this new work was highly anticipated and it was clear from the get-go that this would be a big success.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t the huge success that I myself expected and there are several reasons for that. The first one is the huge competition: While Kerli finally returned with new music, there were also some other artists I consider my top favorites that all returned in 2019, one of them after a ten years hiatus and another after a five years hiatus. All the delays for Kerli’s new album also made the whole waiting really exhausting, so even though I was thrilled to finally have a copy of this in my hands, I wasn’t as excited as I would have been if it came out years ago (in fact, she should have released an album in 2016 but it never happened). The third reason was that even though I love this album, it isn’t as top notch as I was hoping for. All things considered, Shadow Works still ended up as a big success. It’s also likely to get certified with Multi-Platinum in 2020 which is a huge achievement on my personal charts these days. With four weeks atop the weekly chart, Shadow Works also is the third longest running number one album of the year.

Shadow Works is mostly labeled as Electropop album and has some similarities to other artists such as Allie X, Banks, Billie Eilish, Grimes, Halsey and Lana Del Rey, so a rather Alternative Pop direction. It has a lot to offer, from beautiful interludes with Purification or its title track, some rather commercial Alternative tunes like Mimicry or Everybody Bleeds The Same, the very stripped down One, Dubstep influenced bangers like Legends and Where The Dark Things Are, a huge Pop moment in Better and even a song sung in Estonian with Tuleloits. And despite all the elements, Shadow Works still is a whole body of work and flows perfectly well. The one song that stands out the most is Where The Dark Things Are, which is very dark, Kerli uses her voice in a very witchy way and suddenly, a very immense Dubstep beat kicks in. I couldn’t ask for more when it comes to Kerli.

Shadow Works spawned three successful singles with Savages (#139 on YEC 2018, #24 on YEC 2019), Better (#4 on YEC 2019) and Legends (#32 on YEC 2019).

3. Lindsey Stirling – Artemis
            311 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-3-3-3-2-2-1-SC / 16w

…and here comes another surprise: US violinist Lindsey Stirling ends up third with her fourth studio album Artemis (or fifth including the Christmas release Warmer In The Winter). With ten weeks at #1 on my weekly charts, Artemis is not only by far the longest running top album of 2019, but also one of only five albums to reach this achievement following Selena Gomez & The Scene’s When The Sun Goes Down (2011), Lana Del Rey’s Born To Die (2012) and Imaginaerum (2011) & Endless Forms Most Beautiful (2015) both by Nightwish. Lindsey Stirling had a similar problem like Ariana Grande had with Sweetener in 2018, despite a nearly flawless chartrun, it’s often difficult to get very high on the countdown with a release in the second semester unless there wasn’t another big release in the first semester which was the case in 2019.

Lindsey Stirling broke through with her self-titled debut album in 2013 and has emerged as a huge force on my personal charts ever since, with basically every release being a big hit and all of her albums being successes on my weekly charts. Artemis is a back to the roots moment for the violinist, as her previous releases Brave Enough (2016) and the Christmas album Warmer In The Winter (2017, 2018) had lots of featuring artists compared to her first two albums, with Artemis only having two featuring artists on Love Goes On And On (Evanescence frontwoman Amy Lee) and The Upside (Ex’s & Oh’s singer Elle King). There are more vocals by the violinist herself than previously though, like on Foreverglow, the title track and Sleepwalking, showing that she’s not only a talented violinist, choreographer and composer, but actually also a good singer. The album takes you on a journey and shows that music doesn’t always need lyrics to get a message across. It’s a perfect combination of Lindsey’s flawless violin play, some fantastic Pop melodies mixed with some EDM influences and a beautiful story from start to finish.

For a further review, I really recommend this well written review.

Artemis spawned three singles so far with Underground (#2 on YEC 2019), The Upside with or without Elle King (#8 on YEC 2019) and its title track (#1 on YEC 2019). All made the Top10 of the Singles Year-End Charts, making this a very remarkable success. Lindsey already made the Top10 on the Album Year-End Charts with Lindsey Stirling (#1 in 2013, #8 in 2014), Shatter Me (#3 in 2014) and Brave Enough (#3 in 2016, #2 in 2017).

Comment

• I actually consider the Eurovision Song Contest album a compilation myself, but maybe I'll start considering this an album next year, once next year's Eurovision album comes out.
              Oh and the Eurovision Song Contest in 2019 was amazing, lots of great songs.
              Still need to hear the albums of Kerli and Lindsey Stirling, hopefully they'll deliver, considering the high spots on your Year-End list.
              Last edited by sergejdordij98; Tue January 28, 2020, 14:34.
              Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by sergejdordij98 View Post
                I actually consider the Eurovision Song Contest album a compilation myself, but maybe I'll start considering this an album next year, once next year's Eurovision album comes out.
                Oh and the Eurovision Song Contest in 2019 was amazing, lots of great songs.
                Still need to hear the albums of Kerli and Lindsey Stirling, hopefully they'll deliver, considering the high spots on your Year-End list.
                It also is a compilation, but those are also allowed to enter my weekly album charts and therefor are also on my Album Year-End Charts. Glad to hear you enjoyed the 2019 edition as well, it really was a big event and I'm already looking forward to this years entries!

Ah, I hope you enjoy those. I'm obviously biased with those two and think both albums are amazing. Maybe you could try out some tracks to get a picture of their sound at first; I put two songs in the comments above (my album highlights) maybe you like them?

Comment

• ...two more to go! Does someone likes to guess who made the Top2?

I'll share them later this week - most likely tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                    I'll share them later this week - most likely tomorrow.
                    This has been a very long week, I guess Anyways, after an unexpected break due to a busy real life schedule, I'm finally revealing the Top2 later today!

Comment

2. Within Temptation – Resist
                      311 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-3-2-3-4-7-8-11-8-14-17-20-Out-RE 16-13-8-7-11-15-9-8-14-19-20-11-11-16-Out-RE 20-SC / 29w

Coming in second is Resist, the seventh studio album by Dutch Symphonic Rock band Within Temptation. The album was already released in February 2019 and was highly anticipated, as their previous album Hydra came out in early 2014 and considering it has been a huge hit with six weeks at number one and a total of 74 weeks on the Album Top20, the expectatons for Resist were huge. The Reckoning was released as a lead single in late 2018 and the band also already toured in late 2018, having played some new songs of Resist during that tour as well that got me even more excited for the whole project.

When Resist finally arrived, I was satisfied, however, I wasn’t blown away. Many artists I’ve always considered to be my absolute favorite artists had to struggle a tiny bit with really getting me with their recent stuff, Kerli and Within Temptation being two great examples for that phenomenon. While they’re still very successful with me, they aren’t on top of their games anymore and that’s how I felt when I heard Resist for the first time. It’s a well crafted album that explores not only some new themes for the band lyrically, but also musically. Their evolution from Goth Rock back in the early 2000s to straight Rock nowadays could be heard on their previous albums as well, but interestingly, even though they take another step towards the straight Rock direction with Resist, they were able to still put some elements from their earlier works onto this. The second single Raise Your Banner is a fantastic example for that, being very current for the band but still has some elements from stuff like on their third album The Silent Force (2004). Resist also has influences from genres such as Electronic, Pop and Industrial, making this one of the bands most versatile records ever.

Resist spawned six singles with The Reckoning (#4 on YEC 2018, #65 on YEC 2019), Raise Your Banner (#89 on YEC 2018, #38 on YEC 2019), Firelight (#114 on YEC 2018, #126 on YEC 2019), In Vain (#66 on YEC 2019), Supernova (#19 on YEC 2019) and Mad World (#28 on YEC 2019). Overall, Resist is the most successful album of 2019 when it comes to entries on the Singles Year-End Charts 2019. Resist is already their second album to be runner-up on one of my Year-End Charts following Hydra in 2014. Meanwhile, lead singer and frontwoman Sharon den Adel topped the Year-End Charts 2018 with her solo debut album My Indigo and also made it to #8 on the Year-End Charts 2019.

1. Ashley Tisdale – Symptoms
                      407 points

Chartrun: *1*-1-2-2-3-2-2-1-1-1-2-5-4-3-2-4-9-13-17-18-16-12-14-Out-RE 13-7-14-7-5-SC / 28w
                      Certification: 2x PLATINUM

…and the most successful album of 2019 is Symptoms by Ashley Tisdale! While Lindsey Stirling clearly dominated my weekly album charts during the second half of the year, Ashley Tisdale not only dominated the first half, but she also stayed strong through the rest of the year.

Ashley Tisdale rose to fame as a child actress, especially with her main role in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody (2005-2007) and soon after in the legendary High School Musical franchise as Sharpay Evans. On the back of the successful movies, Ashley also started an own music career when she released her debut album Headstrong back in 2007, soon followed by her second album called Guilty Pleasure in 2009. My weekly chart started with a singles charts in 2007 while the album charts only started in 2010 and hence both of her albums didn’t make it on my charts during their prime time. But the single releases became huge hits for the Disney star, she even owns the highest certified song of all time on my weekly chart with the 6x Platinum certified Suddenly (2008). Unfortunately, once the Guilty Pleasure era was wrapped up, Ashley disappeared from the music business and mainly concentrated on her acting career, until she finally dropped her third album Symptoms in 2019.

Similar to Anette Olzon’s Shine (#1 on YEC 2014) or Sharon den Adel / My Indigo’s My Indigo (#1 on YEC 2018), Symptoms is also one of those albums that shine through as a whole body of work and don’t have those clear standouts / huge single hits. Everything works perfectly well together, making this album a fantastic listen and one of my most favorite Pop releases of the last few years. With just nine tracks and a length of 25 minutes, there’s often a desire for more, but at the same time its shorteness is also its strength. Once you’re over, you can repeat and listen to it again. That way the melodies keep being stuck in the head for ages and it goes really quickly to be into a song – and the most positive thing is: After all spins, scrobbles, singing along’s and listening, I’m still not bored of even one song yet.

With 1,443 spins, Symptoms is the second most played album of 2019 and has been the most played album for several months – until Lindsey surpassed her with Artemis in Fall. True Romance is the least played song with 137 spins, making Symptoms the only album released in 2019 where all songs got 100 or more spins. Despite my love for all songs, there are still some clear standouts, especially Insomnia (me having sleep problems probably helps loving the track) and the closer and feel-good-anthem Feeling so Good, but Looking Glass and the opener & title track Symptoms also belong to the better half.

Symptoms spawned two singles with Voices In My Head (#206 on YEC 2018, #264 on YEC 2019) and Love Me & Let Me Go (#3 on YEC 2019). Due to her previous albums being released prior the start of my weekly album charts, her previously highest appearing album on a Year-End Charts was Headstrong in 2013, when it re-entered the weekly chart for three weeks and made it to #70 on the Year-End list.

Comment

• I love your #18 (which is my #1 album this year) and #17 and #10!
                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Working...
                        X