Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tansike's Year-End Charts 2019 [Albums #20 - #11]

Welcome to my Year-End Charts 2019!

As every year, I'll proudly present you the 100 most successful singles and the 50 most successful albums from my weekly Singles Top40 & Album Top20 plus the yearly Mammy Awards. The countdowns will start soon, with the singles and album countdowns being presented first, followed by the Mammy Awards 2020.

As usual, all songs and albums that made my weekly chart during 2019 will be revealed. There's just a small change: Instead of revealing the bubbling under positions all at once prior the main countdowns, I will reveal them step-by-step during the main countdowns with just some noteworthy positions being already presented before the countdowns.

The 'old releases rule' from 2017 also goes into this years countdown. This means if a song or an album made its debut on My Charts in 2018, its points for the countdown are reduced by 10%, if it made its debut in 2017, its points are reduced by 20% and so on, up to having made its debut in 2010 or earlier and getting the points reduced by 90%.

Other than that, the rules remain the same. A weekly #1 gets 40 points (single) / 20 points (album), a weekly #2 gets 39 points (single) / 19 points (album) and so on. These points are all added up and the result is this countdown.

Last years countdown: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018 / Mammy Awards 2019
    The weekly chart: My Charts

I hope you guys enjoy this years countdown!
    Greetings, Tansike

Singles Year-End Charts 2019 - Bubbling Under:
    Spoiler!

Singles Year-End Charts 2019 - Hot 100:
    Spoiler!

Album Year-End Charts 2019 - Bubbling Under:
    Spoiler!

Album Year-End Charts 2019 - Hot 50:
    Spoiler!

Comment

Looking forward to this.

And since it's still December 13 here, happy birthday!
      Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [#1 Revealed!]
      Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2019: [#1 Revealed!]
      Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2019: [#1 Revealed!]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        Looking forward to this.

And since it's still December 13 here, happy birthday!
        Aww... thank you

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
          Posting so I can follow
          Great! I'm sure there'll be a few songs you will enjoy

Comment

465 different songs made my weekly Singles Top40 in the past 52 weeks, breaking the record from 2018 by just one song!

196 different albums made my weekly Album Top20 in the past 52 weeks, the second most amount of albums ever and only behind the record from 2018 with 205 different albums.

A first sneak peek with some noteworthy things from the bubbling under positions is coming later today!

Comment

So your most diverse year in songs yet! Cool.

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

So your most diverse year in songs yet! Cool.
                Yes! There really were several big highlights from several different genres. 2019 has been a great year when it comes to music IMO

Comment

Before going into the countdown, I’d like to share some songs that didn’t make it to the Top100 of 2019 but still are worth a shout-out!

Part 1/2

Eurovision craziness

Spoiler!

As every year, the Eurovision Song Contest also made an impact on My Charts in 2019 as well – and it was as huge as never before! The 2019 edition of the popular show ended up as the most successful one ever when it comes to charts success and in addition to that, several former ESC artists also proved to be no one hit wonders and got several entries with their new tunes, making 2019 the most successful year for ESC artists overall. There were so many entries that I even had to use the spoiler tag to list them all!

Mans Zelmerl๖w (Sweden, ESC 2015 winner), Eleni Foureira (Cyprus, ESC 2018 runner-up), Saara Aalto (Finland, ESC 2018 finalist), Lo๏c Nottet (Belgium, ESC 2015 4th) and Maruv (Ukraine, ESC 2019 pre-selection) have multiple entries on the Bubbling Under list, while Keiino and Anna Bergendahl nearly made the main countdown with their songs. With that said, the latter two still have something to show, as Dancing In The Smoke was one of three charting singles for this years Norwegian represent Keiino while Ashes To Ashes was the entry for the Swedish pre-selection, but Anna Bergendahl released an even more successful follow-up track.

A pop culture phenomenon called Drag

#357 Manila Luzon – Go Fish
                  #294 Trinity The Tuck feat. Peppermint – I Call Shade
                  #282 Monique Heart & KOIL – SUKM (Kiss Me)
                  #219 RuPaul feat. Aquaria, Asia O’Hara, Eureka & Kameron Michaels – American
                  #213 Kameron Michaels – Freedom
                  #199 RuPaul feat. Baga Chipz, Divina De Campo & The Vivienne – To The Moon
                  #173 Blair St. Clair – Easy Love
                  #133 Naomi Smalls – Pose
                  #132 RuPaul feat. A'Keria C. Davenport, Brooke Lynn Hytes, Silky Nutmeg Ganache, Vanessa Vanjie Mateo & Yvie Oddly – Queens Everywhere
                  #131 Trinity The Tuck – The Face, The Body
                  #114 Divina De Campo – A Drag Race Song
                  #108 Tatianna – Hurt My Feelings

The US reality competition show RuPaul’s Drag Race keeps on being a pop culture phenomenon with a very important impact all over the world and several of its contestants also released music, with some of them being really popular. While there was one ‘Drag Race’ song on the main countdown in 2018, there are several entries on the list this year with even more on the Bubbling Under list. Season 2 / All Stars 2 contestant Tatianna nearly made it onto the main countdown with Hurt My Feelings, the probably most commercial sounding song coming from the ‘Drag Race’ universe.

Comment

Before going into the countdown, I’d like to share some songs that didn’t make it to the Top100 of 2019 but still are worth a shout-out!

Part 2/2

Shocking underperformances

#430 Katy Perry – Small Talk
                    #427 P!nk – Walk Me Home
                    #338 Madonna – God Control
                    #336 Madonna & Maluma – Medellํn
                    #318 Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber – I Don’t Care
                    #316 Cardi B & Bruno Mars – Please Me
                    #274 Ellie Goulding – Sixteen
                    #250 Evanescence – The Chain
                    #240 Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie – Me!
                    #178 Tarja – Tears In Rain
                    #174 Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello – Se๑orita
                    #166 Tarja – Dead Promises
                    #155 Nightwish – Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean
                    #149 Ashley O (Miley Cyrus) – On A Roll
                    #123 Selena Gomez – Look At Her Now
                    #116 Ariana Grande – Imagine
                    #106 Selena Gomez – Lose You To Love Me

2019 felt like it had more underperformances or even flops coming from big names than previous years. There were several artists who got their first big flop on My Charts in 2019. Katy Perry’s Small Talk and P!nk’s Walk Me Home only got a #36 peak, Madonna’s two Madame X singles never reached the Top20 even though the Queen of Pop never missed the Top10 previously, big collaborations such as I Don’t Care, Please Me or Se๑orita were big hits all over the world but failed to make a proper impact on me while artists like Evanescence, Tarja or most shockingly Selena Gomez – who were all used to getting Gold or even Platinum certified hits easily – also didn’t really connect with me in 2019.

A new trend were short lived number one hits which may go in this category as well. Tarja’s Dead Promises (1-4-26-Out), Nightwish’s Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean (1-6-19-38-Out), Ashley O’s On A Roll (1-6-19-34-Out) and Ariana Grande’s Imagine (1-3-8-25-34-Out) all topped the weekly chart in their debut week, but fell down really quickly.

Hits to look forward to in 2020

#190 Ava Max – Salt
                    #104 The Weeknd – Blinding Lights

With a point-based Year-End Charts late releases are always in a disadvantage, so as usual, there are some tunes where it’s already clear to see them being even more successful on next years countdown. There are two songs that are currently smashing and definitely keep on doing so in 2020 this time, with Ava Max’ Salt and The Weeknd’s Blinding Lights. The former just topped the weekly chart after debuting at #5 in the previous week, becoming Ava’s very first chart topper to date. Meanwhile, Canadian popstar The Weeknd is known for getting big hits, so even though Blinding Lights is already on its way down on my weekly chart, it’s definitely going to have an impact on 2020 as well.

Comment

#119 Anna Bergendahl – Ashes To Ashes - pretty close to making it all the way to a top 100, a solid comeback by all means
                      #203 Hatari – Hatri๐ mun sigra - unsurprisingly it's gonna be in my top 100 (with only one other Eurovision entry above it)
                      #440 Serhat – Say Na Na Na - I wonder how we gonna look at this entry in 10 years' time

#174 Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello – Se๑orita - I kinda hate this song, it's pretty catchy but the "oh la la la" bit taking the centre stage as the hook just cheapens it
                      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

#116 Ariana Grande – Imagine - I find this such a sweet song, one of my favourites from Ari
                        last.fm

Comment

It looks like you enjoyed the year in RPDR music more than I did, but I enjoyed ESC 2019 more than you did.

Three of those underperformers made my main list. I didn't realise that both big Selena singles underperformed on your chart!

Comment

Seeing Selena Gomez stall outside the top 100 is a major shock. I'm pretty sure when we first found out that Selena was releasing new music, i envisioned Selena dominating your weekly charts for months and getting another year end #2 to her name.

Surprising how this has all panned out in the end. Makes it more exciting to see what the top 100 is going to look like.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                              #119 Anna Bergendahl – Ashes To Ashes - pretty close to making it all the way to a top 100, a solid comeback by all means
                              #203 Hatari – Hatri๐ mun sigra - unsurprisingly it's gonna be in my top 100 (with only one other Eurovision entry above it)
                              #440 Serhat – Say Na Na Na - I wonder how we gonna look at this entry in 10 years' time

#174 Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello – Se๑orita - I kinda hate this song, it's pretty catchy but the "oh la la la" bit taking the centre stage as the hook just cheapens it
                              Glad there are some tunes on these shout-outs that you're also enjoying!
                              Anna Bergendahl really had a good year IMO. "Ashes To Ashes" and "Home" were two good singles, so I'm really looking forward to her Melodifestivalen 2020 entry!

Hatari was good and had one of the best performances on the contest, but somehow the song itself didn't really stuck with me.

Serhat was fun!

I get you on "Se๑orita". I think it's not the worst song though, but I definitely don't see it as big as it was all over the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                #116 Ariana Grande – Imagine - I find this such a sweet song, one of my favourites from Ari
                                It definitely is a sweet song, though far from being one of my personal faves from her

Comment

It looks like you enjoyed the year in RPDR music more than I did, but I enjoyed ESC 2019 more than you did.

Three of those underperformers made my main list. I didn't realise that both big Selena singles underperformed on your chart!
                                  Yep, I did. There were some nice tunes coming from the RPDR universe!
                                  Oh, really? Well, don't worry, there are still several ESC entries on my countdown I guess John being so low for me is probably our biggest difference?

Yeah, Selena was disappointing to me. Both songs are among my least favorite songs from her. So fingers crossed the album will have some gems left, otherwise this could end up as my least favorite era from her.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                                    Seeing Selena Gomez stall outside the top 100 is a major shock. I'm pretty sure when we first found out that Selena was releasing new music, i envisioned Selena dominating your weekly charts for months and getting another year end #2 to her name.

Surprising how this has all panned out in the end. Makes it more exciting to see what the top 100 is going to look like.
                                    I know... I also expected her to stay in the Top3 for the rest of the year to be honest, but both songs ended up as two of her least successful chart entries ever for me, which is a shame

Yep, there may be some surprises in my Top100

Comment

Salt is pretty cute, actually a few songs got released last week looking to throw spanner in the works lol. But I do think it's a cute but just outside the top 100 to me. Drag Race - even as a huge fan of the franchise I do think most of these songs, while catchy, don't stand alone.

I do however appreciate Saara (though I haven't delved into her Finnish stuff) and John L's entry,
                                      Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                        Salt is pretty cute, actually a few songs got released last week looking to throw spanner in the works lol. But I do think it's a cute but just outside the top 100 to me. Drag Race - even as a huge fan of the franchise I do think most of these songs, while catchy, don't stand alone.

I do however appreciate Saara (though I haven't delved into her Finnish stuff) and John L's entry,
                                        Glad you're enjoying "Salt" as well. I think it may even end up as my favorite song from her... We'll see how things will look like in a few weeks and if it's really going to be a hit on next years countdown

Ah, I get you with the Drag songs. Most of the Queens could do much better music, but I'm always here for a nice guilty pleasure

Nice you're enjoying those. Saara's Finnish stuff is pretty nice, but I definitely prefer her English music.

Comment

100. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Pallbearer Walks Alone
                                          153 points

Chartrun: *4*-19-5-8-21-36-Out / 6w
                                          Certification: -

The countdown starts with The Pallbearer Walks Alone, the second single of The Dark Element’s second studio album Songs The Night Sings. The Dark Element is a Symphonic Metal band formed by former Nightwish frontwoman Anette Olzon and former Sonata Arctica musician and producer Jani Liimatainen. It’s their first of two entries on the countdown and the heaviest song on the album.

MUSIC VIDEO
                                          99. Dennis Lloyd – Unfaithful
                                          154 points

Chartrun: *2*-5-10-16-18-SC / 5w

Israeli singer-songwriter Dennis Lloyd just sneaks into the Top100 on the last minute with his current single Unfaithful. Dennis rose to fame with his breakthrough single Nevermind in 2018. Even though that was a hit all over the world and an enjoyable song, I think his 2019 releases like Unfaithful were even better. Beautiful uptempo ballad.

MUSIC VIDEO
                                          98. Bilal Hassani – Roi
                                          154 points

Chartrun: 20-35-Out-RE *5*-10-19-26-28-31-Out / 8w

2019 was a big year for the Eurovision Song Contest, so it’s really fitting to have one of this years entry in the first group of the countdown with Bilal Hassani’s Roi. Bilal was chosen to represent France as one of the Big Five, which means he was automatically in the Grand Final where he delivered a solid performance, though I expected more from that performance based on the song alone.

MUSIC VIDEO
                                          97. Grimes – My Name Is Dark
                                          155 points

Chartrun: *1*-2-2-4-SC / 4w

Canadian mastermind Grimes had a very interesting year. While she ended 2018 with the song We Appreciate Power, it took her several months to follow it up with a new single. Her album Miss Anthropocene should have been released over a year ago but got delayed several times and towards the end of 2019, the singer finally announced its release date (February 2020) and also released some more songs, with My Name Is Dark being one of those singles. It’s Grimes at her best, not the typical charts sound but still kinda commercial. Definitely a song that may have a big impact during 2020 as well.

MUSIC VIDEO
                                          96. Freya Ridings – Castles
                                          158 points

Chartrun: 14-*12*-20-13-19-24-30-38-Out / 8w

British newcomer Freya Ridings was mainly successful in her home country until Castles finally started to take off in other territories such as Australia or the German speaking countries as well. This really is how a modern Pop song should sound like and probably her best song so far.

MUSIC VIDEO

Comment

Bubbling Under

465. Lana Del Rey – Mariners Apartment Complex
                                            464. Evanescence feat. Lindsey Stirling – Hi-Lo
                                            463. Ally Brooke & Matoma – Higher
                                            462. Miranda Lambert – It All Comes Out In The Wash
                                            461. Victor Crone – Storm
                                            460. Lake Malawi – Friend Of A Friend
                                            459. Lindsey Stirling – Hallelujah
                                            458. Ciara – Level Up
                                            457. Ellie Goulding, Diplo & Swae Lee – Close To Me
                                            456. Galantis & Dolly Parton feat. Mr. Probz – Faith
                                            455. Lo & Leduc – Online
                                            454. Halsey & Yungblud feat. Travis Barker – 11 Minutes
                                            453. Kelly Rowland – Crown
                                            452. Halsey feat. Lauren Jauregui – Strangers
                                            451. BTS feat. Nicki Minaj – Idol
                                            450. Freya Ridings – Love Is Fire
                                            449. Lindsey Stirling – Take Flight
                                            448. Christina Perri – Tiny Victories
                                            447. Daddy Yankee & Katy Perry feat. Snow – Con Calma
                                            446. Inna – Sin Ti

Comment

Great to see Grimes in here. One of my favourite artists at the moment.
                                              Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

100. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Pallbearer Walks Alone - only just scraped in the top 100
                                                98. Bilal Hassani – Roi - their staging was powerful, but the live vocal was kinda flat, I hope Bilal works more on his vocals and returns with something even more interesting
                                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Working...
                                                X