Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heppolo Top Of 2019 (#1 + Albums Top 30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALBUMS
    #12 Liturgy - H.A.Q.Q.

Genre: Black Metal, Black'n'roll, Avant-garde metal

I felt like I need to give this a shot. H.A.Q.Q. is the fourth studio album of the black metal band Liturgy.
    The band took a risk by not only featuring non-traditional Black metal guitar harmonies, turning songs into epic proportions, and expanding to more avant-garde, extreme metal opera territories. H.A.Q.Q. includes harp, piano, gagaku ensemble, pitched percussion, strings, and significant production efforts.

The critics just love this.

Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• ALBUMS
      #11 Alice Phoebe Lou - Paper Castles

Genre: Indie Pop, Indie Folk, Singer-songwriter

South African singer-songwriter (now residing in Berlin) presented a collection of jazzy, personal & sometimes even ethereal tunes on this album.

The first single, "Something Holy"

A dreamy and relaxing single, aptly titled "Galaxies".

Bandcamp Link

Comment

• ALBUMS
        #10 Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls

Genre: Synthpop, New Wave Revival

Despite Natasha managing to clinch the top 10 spot this year, I'd say I was rather disappointed by "Lost Girls". "Kids In The Dark" was nice and I've enjoyed most of the songs besides "Feel For You", but none of the song had that ethereal effect "Daniel" or "Two Planets" had on me.

Comment

• ALBUMS
          #9 Daria Zawiałow - Helsinki

Genre: Synthpop, Pop

The "Szarówka" single has drawn me in.

More indie pop-ish "Hej Hej!" was a massive hit in Poland (#1 in the radio airplay, certitified Gold).

My favourite song on the album was actually a buzz single, the pumping fully 80s synthpop infused "Nie Dobiję Się Do Ciebie"

Comment

• ALBUMS
            #8 Morwan - Убила могила

Genre: Post-punk revival, Darkwave

A very ethereal darkwave/post-punk piece all the way from Ukraine, one of the few actually coherent records this year, where songs ain't just separate pieces but fall in line to make a full picture.

Comment

• Bit surprised Anavae are still left. Or are they?
              Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (15th Feb 20) - Cam, Polly Scattergood, Cerrone, Blanche, Seth Lakeman, La Roux

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                Bit surprised Anavae are still left. Or are they?
                Told you this year wasn't the best

Comment

• ALBUMS
                  #7 black midi - schlagenheim

Genre: Art Rock, Math Rock, Post-Rock, Post-Hardcore

A lengthy and complex exploration of whether there is still something left in the post-hardcore tank. I have to admit that "ducter" is quite something.

Comment

• ALBUMS
                    #6 Anavae - 45

Genre: Alternative Rock

Objectively maybe it's not the best ever album and may not even go down in any history books. However, it brought me fond memories of the music I enjoyed the most in my teenage years.
                    Some songs could have been produced better though. For instance, the drums in "Human" just aren't sounding right.

Comment

• Honourable mentions part I

Lacuna Coil - Black Anima

"Layers Of Time" And "Reckless" are not bad as singles, but the rest is less impressive.

Grace Lightman - Silver Eater

a solid synthpop album

BB Brunes - Visage

once upon a time, they used to be huge in France. Not anymore, but still a solid mix of indie pop, synthpop and post-punk ethics

Гапочка - Необхідна

good debut for Ukrainian indie pop singer-songwriter

Comment

• Honourable mentions part II

Mai Mai Mai - Nel Sud

The post-industrial vibe is strong with this one. A fitting soundtrack for a modern horror movie or a 1990s videogame.

Contini - Continentale

Cute twee pop record. Slightly inconsisent.
                        The only single.

Veronica Maggio - Fiender är tråkigt

Veronica has even made a short movie and yet it failed to connect with me quite like she used to. There are definitely bright spots on the album, but overall it is rather mellow.

Amaia - Pero no pasa nada

I actually hated their duet with Alfred (Spain 2018 Eurovision entry, their fake "romance" ended immediately after the ESC) so much I didn't give the album a chance until the late december, but it's actually quite sweet, sometimes rose-coloured glasses, innocent and naive indie pop, something that reminds me of The Sundays or even some songs of The Cardigans. Quite a bold move for a talent show contestant and she most likely ain't gonna be a popstar.

Comment

• Grace Lightman's good. Should be on more Watch Out For lists.
                          Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (15th Feb 20) - Cam, Polly Scattergood, Cerrone, Blanche, Seth Lakeman, La Roux

Comment

Grace Lightman's good. Should be on more Watch Out For lists.
                            Somehow I thought Grace Lightman has been around for some time already.

Comment

• Doesn't stop her being relatively unknown. Some of the Sound Of 2020 list have been around for ages.

Comment

Doesn't stop her being relatively unknown. Some of the Sound Of 2020 list have been around for ages.
                                Honestly, I stopped caring for those lists, most of them are very U.S./UK-centric and barely feature anything beyond that.

Comment

• ALBUMS
                                  #5 Purple Pilgrims - Perfumed Earth

Genre: Dream Pop, Indie Pop, Art Rock

A very underrated and underappreciated album by New Zealand sister duo. The singles did quite well in my personal chart in 2019.

It has that classic Dunedin/Flying Nun sound (The Chills, The Verlaines) quality

Bandcamp link

Comment

• ALBUMS
                                    #4 Jinjer - Macro

Genre: Alternative Metal, Metalcore, Groove Metal

So I bought into the "clean vocal/growl vocal" female-fronted metal band hype and I am glad I did.
                                    The album opens with two strong offerings, "On The Top" & "Pit Of Consciousness". Jinjer even steps into the neo-prog metal territory with this album.

Comment

• Nice to see FKA twigs and Aurora on your album countdown!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                        Nice to see FKA twigs and Aurora on your album countdown!
                                        Some impact in the dying age of albums.

Comment

• ALBUMS
                                          #3 Girl Band - The Talkies

Genre: Noise Rock, Post-Punk Revival

Irish post-punk band takes a visceral approach in this album.

The first single, "Shoulderblades" really impressed me, one of the songs of the year for me.

The second single.

Comment

• ALBUMS
                                            #2 Aldous Harding - Designer

Genre: Indie Folk, Dream Pop, Singer-songwriter

This album contains both a storytelling element to it and a deliberate quirk. Not sure if "The Barrel" was the right choice for the first single though.

"Zoo Eyes" is a darker story.

Comment

• Honourable mentions (part III)

Anna Kaneelina - Anna Kaneelina

Genre: Dream Pop, Downtempo, Electronic

Estonian singer explores downtempo territories with some delightful results.

Soundcloud link

Voodoo Jürgens - ’S klane Glücksspiel

Genre: Indie Folk, Indie Pop, Singer-songwriter, österreichischer Liedermacher

Slightly chaotic and pretty energetic indie folk from Austria.

Lafawndah - Ancestor Boy

Genre: Alternative, Pop, PBR&B, UK Bass

Interesting take on current pop trends. Stylish and well-produced.

Comment

• ALBUMS
                                                #1 Capitão Fausto - A Invenção do Dia Claro

Genre: Psychedelic Pop, Indie Pop

What if we mash Super Furry Animals & Toploader into one Portuguese band? We are most likely to get Capitão Fausto. The album itself is very short and only has 8 songs and last half an hour, which is an advantage actually since it has no filler songs.

The first single was slightly ironic "Amor, a Nossa Vida" which parodies all those slow indie ballads about love.

The next single, "Boa Memoria" got us to the funny bit. The frontman assures us that he can party as long as he wants because his friends have good memory.

The playful rhythm of "Sempre Bem".

Comment

• Checked the first video for your #1 album and both videos for your #2 album. "Zoo Eyes" is definitely my fave of them all, great video as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                                    Checked the first video for your #1 album and both videos for your #2 album. "Zoo Eyes" is definitely my fave of them all, great video as well!
                                                    I know all of the top 3 album is probably not your type of music, but thanks for commenting!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X