setg1 top five: 2019 year-end chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setg1 top five: 2019 year-end chart

As another year nears its end, it's time to compile the year-end chart of the setg1 top five! Introduced in December 2015, the chart has now had its fourth full year. Who will join the following songs as a year-end number one?

2016: Drake feat. Wizkid & Kyla: One Dance
    2017: Letters to Cleo: 4 Leaf Clover
    2018: Andrea Libman: So Much More to Me

As in the previous years, this isn't a precise ranking of my favorite songs of the year, but based on points they scored in my weekly top five (though the top five songs are pretty much spot on anyway). Ties have been broken based on chart positions or date of appearance (earlier songs being placed higher in the latter case). For weeks without a chart, the previous week's top five will count twice.

I can already say that while some of the songs in the year-end were big hits in several countries, there is also plenty of more obscure stuff included. Finnish songs had their best year to date (by far!), while last year's domination of My Little Pony songs won't quite be repeated this time. And even though this year's number one was very dominant, it didn't quite match the 135-35 difference from last year!

I hope you find some enjoyable songs among all the weirdness!

Here's the first batch! Already showing the variety of songs...

50. Kishi Bashi: Summer of '42
    1 point - peak position: 5 - 1 week
    2019 saw a lot of charting songs from artists I wasn't familiar with before, this song being one of them. The strings are my favorite part in this beautiful song which deserved a better chart run!

49. Beast in Black: Sweet True Lies
    In 2019: 2 points - peak position: 4 - 1 week
    Full chart run: 16 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 4 weeks

This catchy metal song is one of the carryovers from 2018, having placed 19th in the year-end chart then. The only song here by a Finnish act that's sung in English.

48. Mahmood: Soldi
    4 points - peak position: 4 - 3 weeks
    Eurovision didn't have much of an effect on the chart this year, as this was the only charting entry (and the second Italian entry to appear after "Occidentali's Karma"). A couple of songs from national finals will have higher appearances, though...

47. Faulty & PegasYs: Hottie Trotties
    4 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

While My Little Pony songs didn't match the performance from the last couple of years, several still appeared briefly. Here's the first one, and the only one that's fan-made rather than official – a very nice dance track!

46. Rammstein: Deutschland
    4 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

Rammstein got three entries in 2019, all of them with rather similar chart success. This was a good comeback for them, with an especially impressive video!

45. Lizzo: Juice
    4 points - peak position: 2 - 1 week

Lizzo was my most significant new discovery in 2019 – this is her first appearance in the year-end, but certainly not the last one! A good, catchy song, even if it took me months to really start appreciating it – it only debuted in the last chart week of the year, making it very likely to get much more success in 2020.

44. Ashleigh Ball: Run to Break Free
    5 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

Another MLP song, a nice song that got somewhat overshadowed but made a brief entry anyway!

43. Rammstein: Radio

And indeed, the second Rammstein song appears very soon after the first one. I actually preferred this to "Deutschland", though most people seemed to like that more. The keyboard riff is the thing that really seals the deal for me!

42. Ellips: Maailma on rikki

Finnish-language songs had a surprisingly strong performance – ten songs charted compared to just four last year, and here's the first one! The former Haloo Helsinki! singer made her debut with this progressive rock influenced track. A nice song, but not my absolute favorite from her...

41. Gesaffelstein & Pharrell Williams: Blast Off
    5 points - peak position: 2 - 2 weeks

A great dance track that was the first entry for both artists. Didn't have much longevity for me, though, and as such, it's not surprising it didn't end up higher – maybe it came out at the wrong time...

Comment

Really enjoying these from the first update. Rammstein's comeback with "Deutschland" was huge and way better than anticipated, a shame the era faded out so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post

Really enjoying these from the first update. Rammstein's comeback with "Deutschland" was huge and way better than anticipated, a shame the era faded out so quickly.
        I'm glad you enjoyed them!

I agree, though I still think the chart success they had at first was quite impressive! In an era where rock and metal songs don't usually chart very well, "Deutschland" got some nice positions on Spotify (at least in Germany and Finland). Streaming cost them a lot in some other countries, though – "Deutschland" was at #32 in the UK sales chart, which would have been an incredible result!

It's a shame the rest of the songs couldn't do the same, especially "Radio". I wonder if it was due to the lack of hype (compared to the first single), or maybe the video not being as good...

Comment

Sorry to be so typical but my favourite here is Juice, good to read there will be more Lizzo to come!
          Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
            Sorry to be so typical but my favourite here is Juice, good to read there will be more Lizzo to come!
            Nothing wrong with being typical in this case! I won't reveal yet how many songs she has in the top 50, but I'll already say none of them are in the next batch of ten.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Juice" indeed ended up having the best run of the first ten – it will certainly score many points in 2020.

Comment

clap! clap!
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post

clap! clap!
                Great to see so much appreciation for this song. My favorite from ESC 2019, even if it wasn't one of the strongest years.

I remember it charted on the UKmixPARADE for ages – and if I'm not mistaken, it was one of the only two number-one hits on that chart to reach my top five this year (in both cases, I charted them after they had peaked for most users). I won't mention the other one yet, but it also reached #1 on my chart.

Comment

Here's the second batch – again, not many huge hits here.

40. Apulanta: Lokin päällä lokki
                  6 points - peak position: 4 - 4 weeks

The Finnish punk/rock band had their biggest hit in years with this song, and this success also showed in my charts. While I prefer their earlier hits to the later releases, this is the best they've made in a while!

39. Glenmark Eriksson Strömstedt: När jag var han
                  7 points - peak position: 3 - 3 weeks

A nice pop song from the Swedish supergroup. A cover version of a Danny Saucedo song I wasn't familiar with before ("In the Club") – in my opinion, a huge improvement over the original!

38. Sam Smith: I Feel Love
                  7 points - peak position: 2 - 2 weeks

Their surprising first entry on the setg1 top five! This Donna Summer cover is very campy, and seems to be quite divisive, but I really enjoyed it.

37. Peter Wilson: Don't Break My Heart Again
                  8 points - peak position: 3 - 4 weeks

80s style disco song that somehow found its way to the Finnish iTunes chart where I heard it (like many others that charted here). Hard to believe this was made in 2019, as it really sounds like a lost song from an earlier era!

36. The Prodigy: Need Some1
                  8 points - peak position: 3 - 4 weeks

The Prodigy got a chart hit just a couple of months before Keith Flint's tragic death. I can't say this is one of their best, but still a good enough track to make a brief appearance!

35. Klaas: Good Girls Gone Wild
                  8 points - peak position: 2 - 3 weeks

More dance, this time from Germany. Silly lyrics, but the nice melody and beats definitely make up for it here!

34. Rammstein: Ausländer

8 points - peak position: 2 - 3 weeks

The highest-placed of the three Rammstein songs. Actually my least favorite of them, but it had the advantage of charting at a less competitive time, breaking their curse of always peaking at #3. Charted largely thanks to the R3hab remix.

33. Sam Feldt feat. Rani: Post Malone

9 points - peak position: 3 - 4 weeks

Post Malone becomes the first person to appear on the setg1 top five as an artist and a song title – "Better Now" peaked at #4 last year (making it to #46 on the year-end). The second song in a row where I prefer a remix to the original version – the slightly faster Vize remix was to thank for this song's entry.

32. 5 Seconds of Summer: Teeth
                  9 points - peak position: 2 - 3 weeks

The biggest of three hits for the Australians ("Girls Talk Boys" and "Want You Back" both fell short of the top three). Good pop rock song, even if it lacked the longevity of some others this year.

31. Sabaton: 82nd All the Way
                  9 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

Sabaton had three appearances in the setg1 top five this year, this being the least successful. The Swedish metal band also reached #17 on the UKmixPARADE with this song, largely thanks to the alphabetical order rule (the highest a song has reached with only my support).

Comment

"Soldi" is good. "Juice" is an undeniable bop!
                    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                      "Soldi" is good. "Juice" is an undeniable bop!
                      Great to hear you liked them too! Those two seem to be the most popular songs here so far. "Juice" is definitely an amazing song, as are many others by Lizzo.

Comment

Post Malone is a cute tune, but the two best here are I Feel Love and Teeth, both feel very modern sounding (in one case a modern twist on a classic) shiny pop, both deserved better!
                        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

40. Apulanta: Lokin päällä lokki - quite enjoyable on the first listen

Comment

Sam Feldt crept up on me quite late. Never too much Lizzo around here.

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                              Post Malone is a cute tune, but the two best here are I Feel Love and Teeth, both feel very modern sounding (in one case a modern twist on a classic) shiny pop, both deserved better!
                              I agree completely! It was especially disappointing that "I Feel Love" didn't have more success (considering how well Sam usually charts)... "Post Malone" is certainly a catchy one, and surprisingly good (songs named after celebrities aren't usually very remarkable).
                              40. Apulanta: Lokin päällä lokki - quite enjoyable on the first listen
                              Great to hear you liked it! It's always nice to introduce others to good songs! Rock songs on charts are very rare these days, but this one managed to become quite big in Finland.
                              Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                              Sam Feldt crept up on me quite late. Never too much Lizzo around here.
                              Nice to see more praise for Sam Feldt, I don't remember seeing "Post Malone" on any chart here besides mine (I don't think it was on the UKmixPARADE, at least).

Comment

And here's the third batch! Including more Lizzo, and a surprising artist with two hits!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

30. Ally Brooke feat. A Boogie wit da Hoodie: Lips Don't Lie
                                9 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

Latin pop by former Fifth Harmony members seems to be a recipe for success – "Havana" was #7 in the 2017 year-end, and while this didn't quite manage to match that, it was enough for a week at the top. The first (and so far only hit) for Ally, the second (and so far last) for A Boogie.

29. Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman, Kazumi Evans, Shannon Chan-Kent, Sam Vincent, Cathy Weseluck & Rebecca Shoichet: One More Day
                                11 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

Yes, more My Little Pony songs... A Christmas song that made it to the top at the very start of the year and actually had surprising longevity. Not something I go back to often, but a nice song regardless.

28. NikojaSanttu feat. Mr. Zeus & Kia: Kyllä
                                11 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

Every year, there will be a guilty pleasure song that I really wish I didn't have to chart, and this was the one this year. Music made by YouTubers and Finnish rap both tend to me absolute nos for me in most cases. However, the catchy music and female vocals did it – I had to chart this one, as much as I hated to do it. With better verses and less embarrassing lyrics, this could have been a much bigger hit. The only song to ever drop out from #1 – a very questionable record!

27. Tiisu: Kuollaan me kaikki
                                11 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

The Finnish rock band made a return to form with this song after a few weaker singles. Tiisu missed out on a couple of huge hits in 2015 due to my chart not existing at the time (especially my favorite from them, "Elämältä turpiin sain") – this song's success at least makes up a little for that.

26. Dolly Style: Habibi
                                11 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

The only Melodifestivalen representative this year. Should have been more successful in the competition, but I don't like it quite as much as "Rollercoaster" in spite of this one scoring more points (yes, the top five was a lot more competitive in 2016).

25. Angelic: Equestria Girls
                                12 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

While I said there were fewer MLP songs in the chart than year, there are still eight of those (but most of them ended up a lot lower than a year ago). After its full version's sudden appearance, this theme song made the 15-year-old singer the youngest artist ever to chart.

24. A Boogie wit da Hoodie: Look Back at It
                                12 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

And here's the first appearance for A Boogie I mentioned in this post. While a lot of the songs the modern rappers put out don't really appeal to me, this was a notable exception, thanks in part to the good beat (and the rest of it works surprisingly well too).

23. Ghost: Dance Macabre
                                In 2019: 13 points - peak position: 3 - 7 weeks
                                Full chart run: 19 points - peak position: 3 - 9 weeks

The Swedes used to have the longest laster on the setg1 top five with "Square Hammer" (a record since broken several times). And again, they showed exceptional consistency – a song that never reached the top two spent four weeks at #3 and ended up scoring more points than many of the number ones!

22. Andrea Libman: So Much More to Me
                                In 2019: 13 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks
                                Full chart run: 148 points - peak position: 1 (14 weeks) - 41 weeks

Speaking of consistency... This song dominated the setg1 top five in 2018, breaking pretty much all records there were to break. The appearance of a demo version (very different from the final one) allowed it to make an exceptional re-entry ten months after dropping out, further extending said records. Will they ever be broken?

21. Lizzo: Good as Hell
                                13 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

The oldest song ever to chart in the setg1 top five, debuting more than three years after its release (something only allowed in exceptional cases). Not my favorite out of all her songs, but still one of the few big hits in 2019 I really liked.

Comment

Wow at "So Much More to Me" making a second YEC for you!

"Good as Hell" is a bop!

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                    Wow at "So Much More to Me" making a second YEC for you!

"Good as Hell" is a bop!
                                    That re-entry was really unexpected even to myself. I usually only allow songs to re-enter at a higher position than their original peak, but this time I made an exception, since I really enjoyed the demo version in its own right. And it makes sense in a way that the all-time top-scoring song would also achieve something like that.

Indeed it is! I have to give you some credit for the next Lizzo song to appear (yeah, there are at least three of them here), by the way – I listened to it after it made the UKmixPARADE (on your votes). I'm guessing you know which one I'm talking about, but I'll keep it a surprise for everyone else a while longer.

Comment

27. Tiisu: Kuollaan me kaikki - spoiler alert - we have the same entry in top 40

Comment

27. Tiisu: Kuollaan me kaikki - spoiler alert - we have the same entry in top 40
                                        Awesome! You had it at number one a little before I did – great to hear it also did so well in your year-end. I look forward to seeing the final position!

Comment

Originally posted by setg1 View Post
                                          I'm glad you enjoyed them!

I agree, though I still think the chart success they had at first was quite impressive! In an era where rock and metal songs don't usually chart very well, "Deutschland" got some nice positions on Spotify (at least in Germany and Finland). Streaming cost them a lot in some other countries, though – "Deutschland" was at #32 in the UK sales chart, which would have been an incredible result!

It's a shame the rest of the songs couldn't do the same, especially "Radio". I wonder if it was due to the lack of hype (compared to the first single), or maybe the video not being as good...
                                          Yes, I think so too. "Deutschland" was a surprising success on iTunes and it also did surprisingly well on streaming, as you say. Times have changed, but it's cool to see a band like Rammstein still doing well in the streaming era as well.

To be honest, "Radio" was also my least favorite single of the album. It's probably too commercial, when you know what I mean, plus "Deutschland" and "Ausländer" had a 'bigger' meaning than "Radio" IMO.

34. Rammstein: Ausländer
                                          31. Sabaton: 82nd All the Way
                                          30. Ally Brooke feat. A Boogie wit da Hoodie: Lips Don't Lie
                                          21. Lizzo: Good as Hell

Really like those from the last two updates. "Ausländer" was another great song, a shame it just missed out the top spot in Germany. It was #1 in the Midweek update but ended up #2... would have been cool to see them scoring two #1s from one album there. Still a fantastic song.

Excited for the Top20!

Comment

I only know Good As Hell, it lives up to its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                              Really like those from the last two updates. "Ausländer" was another great song, a shame it just missed out the top spot in Germany. It was #1 in the Midweek update but ended up #2... would have been cool to see them scoring two #1s from one album there. Still a fantastic song.

Excited for the Top20!
                                              A couple of the artists whose songs you mentioned will have more appearances in the remaining positions.

I agree on "Ausländer" – it would have been very impressive if they had reached number one, since they got that #2 mostly based on physical sales (something that doesn't happen very often these days)! Sadly the streams had already fallen a little at that point...

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                              I only know Good As Hell, it lives up to its name.
                                              It definitely does! I'm glad it became a big hit, even if it was one of the most delayed chart appearances we've had in ages! It's interesting how Lizzo's older songs have outperformed her new ones on the charts – really unusual, especially in the streaming era.

Comment

And now the first half of the top 20, including the Lizzo song I mentioned a couple of posts ago:

20. Sabaton: Bismarck
                                                14 points - peak position: 2 - 6 weeks

The second appearance for Sabaton in the year-end. Spent two weeks at #2 behind another one of their songs – it's relatively rare for one act to have the top two spots at the same time.

19. Rebecca Shoichet: Let It Rain
                                                14 points - peak position: 2 - 6 weeks

Another MLP song. Also another one that spent two weeks at #2 without making it to the top. Good pop song, even if I wouldn't quite rank it among the absolute standouts of 2019.

18. Lizzo: Jerome
                                                15 points - peak position: 1 (3 weeks) - 3 weeks

This song hasn't even been released as a single (yet?), but it ended up overshadowing the much better-known "Good as Hell" in the setg1 top five very quickly. Lizzo also achieved the 1-2 in two weeks with this song leading ("Good as Hell" and "Juice" being #2 songs at the time). A song that made an instant impression on me, and as it ended the year at #1, it will probably score quite a few more points next year...

17. Rock Siltanen: Uskon Huuhkajiin
                                                16 points - peak position: 1 - 6 weeks

A synth pop song in support of the Finnish football team, becoming a small chart hit in Finland after their unprecedented success this year. Another nice surprise, a song that doesn't sound at all like most of the stuff released this year.

16. Faija: Suomalaisen miehen kyyneleet
                                                16 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

Another Finnish song, and the second guilty pleasure hit in this year-end. The lyrics are quite silly (and mostly about drinking ), but the rest of the song is surprisingly good, enough for the words not to ruin it!

15. Lil Peep with ILoveMakonnen & Fall Out Boy: I've Been Waiting
                                                16 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 4 weeks

The second posthumous hit for Lil Peep (the first one was "Falling Down"), the first chart appearance for the others. A great song that really makes me wish we had got to hear more from him...

14. Ava Max: So Am I
                                                17 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

"Sweet but Psycho" never managed to chart in the setg1 top five (it grew on me too slowly). However, its follow-up (which I still prefer!) managed to do that, though still quite late. One of the best pop songs of the year, deserving of more success than it had on the charts worldwide.

13. Maustetytöt: Juokse villi lapsi
                                                19 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

The Finnish female duo became quite popular in indie circles and eventually (several months after their appearances on my chart) topped the album chart! This song is a cover of a punk classic by Pelle Miljoona – this more electronic and pop-oriented version is quite different from the original in parts, but still a good one in its own right.

12. Ruusut: Haluun et sä kaipaat mua
                                                21 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

Another Finnish indie act with a heavily electronic-influenced song. I'm surprised that this didn't achieve more success in the charts, it's quite catchy and addictive.

11. Twenty One Pilots: The Hype
                                                22 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 7 weeks

And history repeats itself. Last year, "Chlorine" by Twenty One Pilots spent seven weeks in the top five and was at #11 in the year-end, missing out on a top ten spot by just one point. All of this also applies to "The Hype". It did manage to get one more week at #1, as well as one more point... and became their second-highest scoring song after "Ride" (which is still my favorite from them).

Comment

Ah, so it's "Jerome"! I wasn't sure which Lizzo song it was because I do a daily chart so it's Friday's top five that's submitted to the PARADE, and I usually don't remember which songs made those Friday top fives. "Jerome" is good. I like how random the lyrics are, like she's taking us through her off-the-cuff thought process.

YES at the "So Am I" love! It's my favourite Ava Max song!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X