No announcement yet.

setg1 top five: 2019 year-end chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now the number one – with a points difference that's almost as big as last year!

1. Lizzo: Truth Hurts
    103 points - peak position: 1 (9 weeks) - 26 weeks

Like last year, the number one song was obvious several months before the year ended – that's how dominant Lizzo's first hit ended up being. I loved the song on first listen, and it topped the chart just a few days later – but longevity proved to be its main strength. It had four separate runs at number one, totaling nine weeks at the top (the second most for any song), but also broke a record by spending 11 weeks at #2. All but the last three weeks of its run were inside the top three.

While this domination did have a little to do with the weak competition at times, it's impossible for me to think of a more deserving number one. Like "So Much More to Me" last year, this is one of those songs that will be extremely difficult to beat in sheer longevity. It also started an incredible streak for Lizzo – while "Truth Hurts" finally left the chart in December after the second-longest top five run ever, she still has a song on the chart for the 30th week in a row – three of them, in fact. And a lot of it is thanks to this song, which was not the first one I heard from her but the first I really enjoyed. It was wonderful to see it top the Hot 100 a while later (two years after its original release!), showing that many others liked it just as much as I did!

Comment

"We Appreciate Power" is the game of contrasts, it is both gentle & raw, it is quiet and loud.
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
        "We Appreciate Power" is the game of contrasts, it is both gentle & raw, it is quiet and loud.
        A good description of the song – that's definitely a huge part of its appeal to me. At almost six minutes, most songs would be too long for me, but in this one, the variety is enough to keep it interesting throughout (I prefer the original version to the radio edit).

It's pretty disappointing that she decided to leave it off her album.

Comment

We Appreciate Power was great, Truth Hurts not my favourite Lizzo song but I appreciate its impact.

Comment

Fantastic #2 - great to see so much Grimes love in the year end charts. Don't mind Lizzo too.
            Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

Can't argue too much with that, similarly it's not my favourite Lizzo song but yet we still Stan it and her
              Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

2. Grimes feat. Hana: We Appreciate Power

Ok, that's an unexpected, but really strong Top2!
                I adore "We Appreciate Power". It already made my weekly Top5 in 2018 but stayed on my weekly chart for a long time in 2019 as well. "Miss Anthropocene" is currently my most anticipated release of 2020 and "We Appreciate Power" really is among Grimes' best work to date!

"Turth Hurts" is good. What a sleeper hit this has been in the US! So happy for Lizzo's success, she really deserves it and here's hope she'll get more recognition in Europe soon as well.

Great countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                  We Appreciate Power was great, Truth Hurts not my favourite Lizzo song but I appreciate its impact.
                  Originally posted by steophonic View Post
                  Fantastic #2 - great to see so much Grimes love in the year end charts. Don't mind Lizzo too.
                  Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                  Can't argue too much with that, similarly it's not my favourite Lizzo song but yet we still Stan it and her
                  Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                  2. Grimes feat. Hana: We Appreciate Power

Ok, that's an unexpected, but really strong Top2!
                  I adore "We Appreciate Power". It already made my weekly Top5 in 2018 but stayed on my weekly chart for a long time in 2019 as well. "Miss Anthropocene" is currently my most anticipated release of 2020 and "We Appreciate Power" really is among Grimes' best work to date!

"Turth Hurts" is good. What a sleeper hit this has been in the US! So happy for Lizzo's success, she really deserves it and here's hope she'll get more recognition in Europe soon as well.

Great countdown!
                  Thanks for the comments! Great to see all the appreciation for "We Appreciate Power" and "Truth Hurts".

"Juice" seems to be the more popular Lizzo song here – I still prefer "Truth Hurts" myself, but I'd be glad to see either that or "Jerome" be her next big hit. And indeed, it would be nice to see her get more success in Europe soon – it's unbelievable that she still hasn't had a hit song or album in my country ("Juice" reached #62 in airplay, but that's it so far).

Comment

Whoa at that winning margin for "Truth Hurts"! For me, it's not the best of Lizzo, but it has great energy and represents some of her best parts! Good countdown.
                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                      Whoa at that winning margin for "Truth Hurts"! For me, it's not the best of Lizzo, but it has great energy and represents some of her best parts! Good countdown.
                      Thanks!

Yeah, the difference between #1 and #2 has been huge two years in a row now – "So Much More to Me" won by 100 points last year. Quite different from 2016 when "One Dance" had one more point than the #2 and #3.

Comment

Working...
                      X