Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony's Top 75 Hits and Top 40 Albums of 2019 (#COMPLETE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 Maren Morris - Girl
    29 Banks - III

28 Kim Petras - Broken
    18 Taylor Swift - The Archer
    17 Kim Petras - Do Me
    16 Eliot - Wake Up

Happy for these appearances!

Very pleased with "Do Me" being Kim's highest entry for you, as it's been my favorite song on the album alongside "Icy" after around 7 album spins so far.
    "The Archer" seems kinda underrated among fans, but it's among my faves of "Lover". Such a beautiful song!

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
      16 Eliot - Wake Up
      Oh that's nice!
      Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (15th Feb 20) - Cam, Polly Scattergood, Cerrone, Blanche, Seth Lakeman, La Roux

Comment

(I'm going through this faster than usual because i want a playlist for New Year's Day - something i've not managed for several years.)

ALBUMS

15 Snow Ghosts - A Quiet Ritual

HITS

15 Bat For Lashes - Jasmine

(Really needs a video - grat song like #40.)

ALBUMS

14 Machineheart - People Change

(Sophisticated female-led synthpop - charted big on Hits last year.)

HITS

14 Cigarettes After Sex - Heavenly

("I can't believe it's not a woman singing!")

ALBUMS

13 Electric Youth - Memory Emotion

(Canadian synthpop duo return.)

HITS

13 Taylor Swift - Lover

(Highest of 4.)

ALBUMS

12 Charli XCX - Charli

(It is gutting to rank this so low. I've said my piece elsewhere.)

HITS

12 The Modern - Just Takes Time

(Didn't know this existed till last Monday!)

ALBUMS

11 Hannah Diamond - Reflections

(Pure pop takes on a new meaning with this set of dance-pop from Charli's PC Music friend.)

HITS

11 Charli XCX - White Mercedes

(Composed by the same team behind Senorita but miles better. Radio 1 playlisting had no effect on this pop ballad at all - didn't even sniff iTunes top 200. She may as well be Hannah. )

Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (15th Feb 20) - Cam, Polly Scattergood, Cerrone, Blanche, Seth Lakeman, La Roux

Comment

ALBUMS

10 Sleaford Mods - Eton Alive

(Highest placing for a non-Hits placing YE act. It's an outrage that people on these forums don't talk about them.)

HITS

10 Kitten - Me

(The only "Me" song in my YE is this rock-pop banger from Charli's mate Chloe and band. A reposte to her experience in the upsetting Netflix docu-series that should never have been made - though she isn't slamming it, she's only correcting a certain perception in it. Produced by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda.)

(I may as well say this now as i'm not going to do a Decade chart, their song Like A Stranger is my Hit Of The Decade.)

ALBUMS

9 Kim Petras - Clarity

(Contains 10 Hits - 9 of which were released before the album.)

HITS

9 Of Monsters and Men - Wild Roses

(A major surprise for me, not being a fan previously. Only became aware when it cracked OCC video streaming chart - over 17 million views and radio is still ignoring it .)

ALBUMS

8 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen

HITS

8 Sharon Van Etten - Jupiter 4

(Highest of 3. Took her cue from Nick Cave's synth moods for a stunning epic.)

ALBUMS

7 Hatchie - Keepsake

(Her debut full length doesn't quite bottle her magic like the mini album did.)

HITS

7 Marina - Superstar

(Could have been a Eurovision song.)

ALBUMS

6 Cigarettes After Sex - Cry

(Why are radio reluctant to play a group that have millions of YouTube views (with no actual promo videos)? Is it the name? Came to them late but think they are today's equivalent of The Blue Nile - subtle beauty that only comes out at night.)

HITS

6 Bat For Lashes - Kids In The Dark

("80s" glory with a Lost Boys inspired video.)

Last edited by Blondini; Tue December 31st, 2019, 22:04.

Comment

ALBUMS

5 Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

(Take synth cues from Springsteen and Cave and make classic album for first time.)

HITS

5 Charli XCX ft Sky Ferreira - Cross You Out

(Highest of Charli's 3. The perfect team-up. Sadly no video - see also Sky at #19.)

ALBUMS

4 Marina - Love and Fear

(Really sad to have her at this position but your faves can't always be perfect. A concept too far?)

HITS

4 Marina - Handmade Heaven

(Great dramatic pop - radio just turned up their noses at it - like Clean Bandit never happened.)

ALBUMS

3 Taylor Swift - Lover

(Her best album yet - full of classic pop including a return to synth.)

HITS

3 Electric Youth - The Life

(Incredible synthpop tune that i just grew to love more and more.)

ALBUMS

2 The Modern - Revenge

(Back as a duo - it seems? - album had CD release 2017, digital 2018 but i never knew as they're not really doing publicity. I'm breaking my rule on YE Albums to include a set from a previous year(s). Great synthpop. The first Modern album is also on stream in a new form.)

HITS

2 Bat For Lashes - The Hunger

(Highest of 4. Her greatest Hit ever sounds like Kate Bush / Peter Gabriel big adult pop. It's a shame only indie stations backed her.)

ALBUMS

1 Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls

(Wonderful to see Natasha not only come back to peak form but maybe even to surpass her previous? Eighties film scores being the major inspiration.)

HITS

1 Marina - Enjoy Your Life

(Highest of 5. Qualifies only through being a grat along with several other songs when she released the first part of her album early. To not even give a perfect slice of dance-pop like this a video is criminal. Her album makes #4 but she manages 3 of top 7 Hits so is a winner of sorts.)

THANK YOU AND HAPPY 2020!

Last edited by Blondini; Tue December 31st, 2019, 22:35.

Comment

15 Bat For Lashes - Jasmine - it was not really what I expected.
              11 Charli XCX - White Mercedes - Senorita comparison is a bit shady.
              9 Of Monsters and Men - Wild Roses - good song actually, Iceland can never break through, not a single UK#1 yet
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                11 Charli XCX - White Mercedes - Senorita comparison is a bit shady.
                9 Of Monsters and Men - Wild Roses - good song actually, Iceland can never break through, not a single UK#1 yet
                It could be if radio played it. I can't fathom why they aren't. That one big hit they had is actually OVERplayed by some stations.

I don't get Cabello at all - she has absolutely nothing about her apart from looks. And that song is so over-loved while a tune like White Mercedes gets ignored by all the commercial stations. Like Charli's not "real pop". So infuriating. They'll say she's not getting streamed enough. Which also seems to be true. Both songs are artificial but one is good artifice, the other is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                  It could be if radio played it. I can't fathom why they aren't. That one big hit they had is actually OVERplayed by some stations.

I don't get Cabello at all - she has absolutely nothing about her apart from looks. And that song is so over-loved while a tune like White Mercedes gets ignored by all the commercial stations. Like Charli's not "real pop". So infuriating. They'll say she's not getting streamed enough. Which also seems to be true. Both songs are artificial but one is good artifice, the other is not.
                  at least Charli's album got to #1...in Anthony Fantano (theneedledrop) "best of 2019" list

Comment

Well i don't think it should be - for reasons i ranted about in her thread.

She always has critics to support her, but that doesn't equate to chart success.

Comment

Looks like everyone else is out/in partying!

I feel i ought to say that you like or have commented on nearly everything in these lists in my weekly threads. So thanks for that.
                      Might look like you're not a follower by only posting a few select comments but it's quite the opposite.

Comment

She always has critics to support her, but that doesn't equate to chart success.
                        I think critical success in this case has done more to hurt her chances of commercial success, since radio/label execs responsible for streaming platform marketing dismiss her as inaccessible.

3 Electric Youth - The Life - beautiful, stunning, maybe suffered in my YEC a little because of the sheer weight of information

Comment

Yay for MARINA, I like that winning song very much, also for Taylor and Charli! Big pop wins.
                          Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Love the Charli entries - White Mercedes is such a great song!

Comment

12 Charli XCX - Charli
                              9 Kim Petras - Clarity
                              4 Marina - Love and Fear
                              3 Taylor Swift - Lover

13 Taylor Swift - Lover
                              9 Of Monsters and Men - Wild Roses
                              7 Marina - Superstar

Lots of awesome stuff got revealed since my last comment!
                              Especially pleased for the appearances by Taylor and Marina. Both had some big highlights of 2019 for me as well. Currently really getting into Kim's "Clarity", so glad it made your Top10. Somehow I feel like she did the better Charli XCX album than Charli herself. Does this make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                Currently really getting into Kim's "Clarity", so glad it made your Top10. Somehow I feel like she did the better Charli XCX album than Charli herself. Does this make sense?
                                Yes. And so did Hannah Diamond - being an original PC Music artist - the label/producers that Charli reinvented her sound with.

Comment

HITS

27 Fiona Grey ft Emma Cole - Saviour

(Big dramatic pop with a sexy noir video. Really high position for a #3 peaker.)

15 weeks i waited. No comment. Still no comment. If only Skelofect and Dalmatin were around.
                                  If you like Lady Gaga or Sia... She's another friend of Charli.

I should also say that Winona Oak at 67 is everything current Lana Del Rey is not - exciting, dynamic, unpretentious.

It's not cool to compare women on social media, apparently. But i'm just comparing huge and over-rated with small and under-loved. I'd do it with men if i charted any examples!
                                  Last edited by Blondini; Thu January 2nd, 2020, 20:32.

Comment

Fiona Grey's "Saviour" is a bit overdramatic for me with the "trophy wife" trope, but I admire the way the music video adds to the song and creates a cohesive art piece, I have to applaud the director.
                                    I almost wished Fiona was singing in a low male-like voice to create an exciting atonal post-punk-ish contradiction instead of her almost perfect dramatic vocals.

Comment

Crikey. That's considered criticism. Thank you for that. The video really helped it solidify in my chart, like Cellophane, Szarowka, Wild Roses.

Comment

Crikey. That's considered criticism. Thank you for that. The video really helped it solidify in my chart, like Cellophane, Szarowka, Wild Roses.
                                        Maybe I need some few spins to grow to enjoy it more. It's good that alternative acts decided to pick videos up from the gutter of amateurism that I had to resist during the early-mid 2010s.

Comment

7 Marina - Superstar
                                          6 Bat For Lashes - Kids In The Dark

love all of these! I had lost interest in Natasha during her previous era and I'm still surprised at how much I adore this song, totally won me back
                                          last.fm

Comment

Yes. And so did Hannah Diamond - being an original PC Music artist - the label/producers that Charli reinvented her sound with.
                                            Oh, glad you approve my statement. Gotta check Hannah Diamond out as well then.

Comment

A very Blondini top 10 - Handmade Heaven took ages to grow on me but I loved it in the end.

Comment

Handmade Heaven is good and glad to see the really strong Taylor Swift album in there.
                                                Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

The ones I like

13 Taylor Swift - Lover

7 Marina - Superstar

4 Marina - Handmade Heaven (UGH FINALLY A HIGH POSITION FOR THIS MASTERPIECE, I'M LITERALLY CRYING TO SEE THIS NOW, SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I CRYYYYYYYYY)

1 Marina - Enjoy Your Life Wow, pretty high!

---

12 Charli XCX - Charli

9 Kim Petras - Clarity

4 Marina - Love and Fear (and #4 is totally fine)

3 Taylor Swift - Lover

Wow, we seem to have some kind of musical feels in common, I need to take the time to check out your faves that I don't know yet
                                                  [#1 REVEALED!] 2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

My Song Charts

Comment

I wanted to see "Lover" on the top of albums chart.

Personally I don't agree with the singles choice. Sadly she didn't select such masterpieces as "Paper Rings" and "Miss Americana" (or even "Cornelia Street") over awful "You Need To Calm Down" and weak "Lover".
                                                    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X