JakeP Top 100 of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JakeP Top 100 of 2019

As 2019 draws to a close ( ) it's time for me to jump onto the bandwagon and count down my top 100 of 2019. Hopefully starting later today...and might end up being a rushed job!!!

Top 100 of 2014
    Top 100 of 2015
    Top 100 of 2016
    Top 100 of 2017
    Top 100 of 2018

YES! So excited for this and glad it's starting soon!

Comment

100. Gorgon City & MK - There for you

Who doesn't love a euphoric dance anthem? Gorgon City & MK delivered the pulsating nightclub vibes with There for you which peaked at #4 back in October.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
        YES! So excited for this and glad it's starting soon!
        Thanks Tansike

This thread may end up getting lost in the mix but i'm gonna try to get this completed by the end of the week. *fingers crossed*

Comment

99. Tones and I - Never seen the rain

Undoubtably one of 2019's biggest breakthrough artists has been Tones and I. Her first of two appearances sneaks in at #99 with her track Never seen the rain taken from The kids are coming. Whilst this track has been a hit in Australia, it's left to be seen if this, or indeed any future releases, can live up to the hype generated by that song... Never seen the rain reached #4 in my chart back in August.

Comment

98. Michaela - Chameleon

Despite my initial reservations, the Eurovision song contest 2019 ended up being a massive success - especially where my chart was concerned. The post-eurovision chart domination saw the entire top 6 consisting of new entries - a first for my chart since its humble beginnings in 2013. All six eurovision entries have successfully made it into my top 100 of 2019 starting off with Malta's Michaela at #98 with Chameleon.

Comment

Chamelon is one I've heard and love it.

Comment

97. Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero gravity

From one eurovision entry to another! Kate Miller-Heidke represented Australia with the incredible yet bizarre Zero gravity. I wasn't even that sold on the song initially but that all changed at the semi finals. Kate absolutely smashed it and everything suddenly clicked into place and i was loving it like never before. Granted, the performance at the live final lacked some of the excitement most likely because i'd already been blown away with the semi final performance. Nonetheless, Zero gravity is my #97 of 2019.

Comment

96. Martin Garrix featuring Macklemore & Patrick Stump - Summer days

At #96 it's Martin Garrix who teamed up with Macklemore and Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy. Together they delivered one of the songs of the summer with the aptly titled Summer days. Despite peaking at #7 the track enjoyed some decent longevity. It's chart run being temporarily broken by the onslaught of eurovision before the release of the music video boosted Summer days back into the top 10.

Comment

95. Zara Larsson - Don't worry bout me

Back in 2016 it felt like Zara Larsson was on the brink of superstardom as she became a rising star in the music industry. Sadly that star power seems to have waned since 2018 which is a shame when Zara was releasing absolute bops like Don't worry bout me. The official music video might've been a mess but the track reached #6 back in April and marks Zara's only appearance in my top 100 of 2019.

Comment

95. Zara Larsson - Don't worry bout me

Back in 2016 it felt like Zara Larsson was on the brink of superstardom as she became a rising star in the music industry. Sadly that star power seems to have waned since 2018 which is a shame when Zara is releasing absolute bops like Don't worry bout me. The track reached #6 back in April and marks Zara's only appearance in my top 100 of 2019.

Comment

94. Dido - Have to stay

Dido makes her first of two appearances at #94 with the hauntingly beautiful Have to stay. I was already impressed with the tracks i'd already heard from Still on my mind towards the end of 2018 and early 2019 so i decided to buy the album upon its release in March. Have to stay, the closing track on the album, ultimately ended up being my personal favourite new discovery from the album and got to #5 the following week.

Comment

There For You is a belter, also enjoyed the two ESC ones.
                          THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

93. Little Mix - One i've been missing

Bringing us right up to December, it's Little Mix at #93 with their festive single One i've been missing. The track may have stalled at #7 but it succeeded in remaining in my chart throughout the festive period (only dropping out in my latest top 20). What surprised me the most was the lack of success this song received on Spotify. Particularly considering the amount of christmas songs that flooded out the entire streaming chart on christmas day, poor Little Mix were nowhere to be seen. Nonetheless, the girls got their christmas hit elsewhere and secure their sole appearance in my chart of 2019.

Comment

98. Michaela - Chameleon - in terms of marketing, Malta put quite an effort this year...Some might it's Dua Lipa-lite, but for me it's a fine, feelgood song with pretty solid production.
                              97. Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero gravity - can't really listen to just the audio version, I need that live performance to get the full effect
                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                Chamelon is one I've heard and love it.
                                Thanks cheapthrills

I kinda feel sorry for Micheala as Chameleon deserved better at eurovision. Being first in the running order for the final wouldn't have helped, but then the catastrophe that was the results (i.e. the mishap with one of the countries awarding Israel their 12 points when it was actually their least favourite and Malta should've been announced as receiving the 12 points instead). Let's hope eurovision 2020 is handled better in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                  There For You is a belter, also enjoyed the two ESC ones.
                                  Thanks Thriller

Ahh yes i knew you loved There for you. The music video really helped boost the song in my chart. Such a shame this success couldn't have been reflected in the UK charts.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                    98. Michaela - Chameleon - in terms of marketing, Malta put quite an effort this year...Some might it's Dua Lipa-lite, but for me it's a fine, feelgood song with pretty solid production.
                                    97. Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero gravity - can't really listen to just the audio version, I need that live performance to get the full effect
                                    Thanks heppolo

I agree on both comments. I could see where the Dua comparisons were coming from as it would've easily been a hit with Dua's name attached to it. Likewise, i wasn't keen on Zero gravity initially - iirc, the original performance video was basically a cheap looking Estonia 2018 staging. Thankfully they pulled out all the stops for the semi final but sadly that meant all the magic had gone by the time the grand final arrived as we knew what to expect (and the execution on the night wasn't as solid either).

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                                      (and the execution on the night wasn't as solid either).
                                      I'd say that male backing vocalist was too enthusiastic.
                                      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

This will likely be the most significant year-end countdown I follow, for obvious reasons.

"Chameleon" gets things off to a fantastic start. It's my top ESC song this year.
                                        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

92. Lindsey Stirling featuring Elle King - The upside

Here's one for [MENTION=32120]Tansike[/MENTION] Lindsey Stirling gets my #92 of 2019 with the majestic pop goodness that is The upside featuring Elle King on vocals. Lindsey once again released some rather spectacular looking music videos throughout 2019 and The upside was no exception. I was also really impressed with her acting abilities as shown at the start of the video.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                            I'd say that male backing vocalist was too enthusiastic.
                                            It's astounding just how much a bad backing singer and ruin an overall performance.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                              This will likely be the most significant year-end countdown I follow, for obvious reasons.

"Chameleon" gets things off to a fantastic start. It's my top ESC song this year.
                                              Thanks Akini

I need to see how your top 2 panned out in the end. Would be quite an achievement if we did have the same top 2 of 2019. Then again, you can't deny both are bonafide 2019 classics.

Comment

91. Alan Walker & Ava Max - Alone, pt II

At #91 it's the newest of all the songs appearing in my chart of 2019. Alan Walker has teamed up with Ava Max and released Alone, pt II last week which got off to a flying start debuting at #3 in my final weekly chart of the year. Safe to say if this continues to hold up in the coming weeks, it'll most definitely be higher than #91 in my chart of 2020...but let's not get ahead of ourselves!!!!

Whilst this marks Alan Walker's only appearance, it's the first of four appearances for Ava Max who had a very successful 2019 in my chart.

Comment

90. Katy Perry - Harleys in Hawaii

Since 2017, Katy Perry seems to have become more inconsistent with my personal tastes. After the disappointment better known as Small talk, i really thought Katy had hit rock bottom considering how much i loved Never really over. Thankfully i jumped to conclusions and in October, Katy treated us to the rather blissful chilled pop delight that is Harleys in Hawaii. It wasn't the big brash "in yer face" style pop hit i'd come to expect from Katy (see the Teenage dream era) but i still enjoyed this a lot.

Comment

Nice to see Dido here. That song is really special so extra hurras for highlighting this!
                                                    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
                                                    ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

89. Madonna featuring Anitta - Faz gostoso

2019 saw the world introduced to Madame X, the latest reinvention of Madonna. It was also a great year for Madonna with a string of hits taken from the album; three of which went all the way to #1. Faz gostoso, a collaboration with brazilian songstress Anitta, had the biggest impact on my chart following the release of Madame X debuting at #3. It did end up getting completely overshadowed the following week when the music video for God control was released...

Comment

I'm here for the dancier ones so far, MK is a banger, Garrix was amazing and I enjoyed that Zara one too!
                                                        Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                                                          Nice to see Dido here. That song is really special so extra hurras for highlighting this!
                                                          Thanks Leo

Still on my mind is such a great album. It was great to see Dido back and looking like it was still 2003!!! I adore Have to stay and if anyone says the song is boring, they're wrong! I'll always have a soft spot for these less is more style ballads. <3

Comment

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                                            I'm here for the dancier ones so far, MK is a banger, Garrix was amazing and I enjoyed that Zara one too!
                                                            Thanks King
                                                            Ahh there are still plenty of bangers still to come. Martin Garrix really surprised me too with Summer days. I really like how flexible a producer he is and not just stuck in the same sound with every song he releases (plus he's cute too which is always a bonus )

Comment

Working...
                                                            X