No announcement yet.

JakeP Top 100 of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I've complained about "Never Really Over" being too basic and repetitive for me to love it, but it is a decent pop song at the end of the day.

I'm obsessed with "Dance Monkey" now so it'll feature in my 2020 year-end countdown! "Bad Guy" is a cool bop!

I liked the Ari remix more than the original for a sec, but the original inevitably won out in the end. The song is great in both forms, though.

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
    Here it is. It's the line "been through some bad s**t, i should be a sad bitch" sang in a posh english accent that gets me the most.
    Thanks for the link! My favourite parts were when the guys twerked. I liked the random yodeling and goat appearance, too.

I grew up in that MTV era in the late 90s where music videos were crucial to the success of a single. Very rarely did a single make the charts without the aid of a music video. It was just an amazing time to be a kid and even tv felt so much more exciting back then. How i wish today could be just like how i remember music and tv in the late 90s. <3
    Yeah, I'll never forget lying about my age to bypass the YouTube age restriction so I could watch the "Womanizer" video when it premiered. I really miss videos being an event.
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Originally posted by sergejdordij98 View Post
      Three great songs in a row! Really like all 3 of them!
      Originally posted by steophonic View Post
      Again, 3 really good songs! A great top 10 so far.
      Thanks guys No pressure on me to deliver a flawless top 5 of 2019!

I'll be posting the top 5 this evening. Excitement...

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        I feel like I've complained about "Never Really Over" being too basic and repetitive for me to love it, but it is a decent pop song at the end of the day.

I'm obsessed with "Dance Monkey" now so it'll feature in my 2020 year-end countdown! "Bad Guy" is a cool bop!

I liked the Ari remix more than the original for a sec, but the original inevitably won out in the end. The song is great in both forms, though.
        Aww we can't all love the same songs (although if we did imagine how amazing official charts would be! ). It's not my absolute favourite Katy Perry by a long shot but, for what it is, i really enjoy the song a lot.

That's an incredible turnaround as i don't remember you being that keen on the song initially. I know a few other UK Mixers have clearly stated how much they dislike the song because of the vocals. It's strange to me because i hear a cross between BjŲrk, Beth Ditto and a pinch of Sia - and i'm sure of three artists have been popular on UK Mix. Maybe it's the novelty element that's the most off putting? I loved it instantly although i was getting over the song just when it started to become a hit in the UK.

[b]bad guy[/i] wasn't revolutionary in the slightest but it really did stand out so much amongst the vast majority of mid to downtempo tracks that seamlessly chart with ease throughout the year.

Ohh yes i did like the Ariana remix but i loved the original so much by that point, i didn't really need the remix personally.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        Thanks for the link! My favourite parts were when the guys twerked. I liked the random yodeling and goat appearance, too.

Yeah, I'll never forget lying about my age to bypass the YouTube age restriction so I could watch the "Womanizer" video when it premiered. I really miss videos being an event.
        Haha no worries. It's so crazy but so funny to watch. LOL i wonder how many young teenagers did that. Probably all of them? I was 17 anyways when YouTube first started but by 2006 i was already visiting YouTube frequently to check out new videos. It's extraordinary to think where YouTube is now compared to 14-15 years ago. YouTube and Google are just like everyday items i use on a daily basis.

Comment

• 05. Niall Horan - Nice to meet ya

"j'adore la mer"....oh Niall, you're such a charmer!

Yes it's the bonny prince of Ireland Niall Horan who finishes at #5 in my chart of 2019 with the rock infused Robbie Williams inspired Nice to meet ya. Niall made his triumphant return in October with his first new material since the release of Flicker with the RT… concert orchestra as mentioned on So long (#14).

This was an almighty bold and confident sound from Niall. There are a couple of uptempo tracks on Flicker but this sounded bigger and more powerful by contrast. We were also treated to the release of the music video when the single was released with Niall looking so effortlessly cool and as handsome as ever. <3

Nice to meet ya was an instant hit and rocketed all the way to #1 after 24 hours of release.

Comment

• 04. Will Young - All the songs

Anyone who has followed my personal chart over the years will know just how much i love Will Young. One of the most exceptional talents to have emerged from a tv talent show (still remember when Will won Pop idol and how elated i was by the results ). All the songs was released in March as the first single from Lexicon and it was just flawless exquisite pop music at its absolute finest.

The accompanying music video was also released the same Friday and we got to see Will Young at his most cheekiest - quite literally! It couldn't have been more camp if it tried and i was just loving seeing Will boldly embracing his sexuality with humour. Just like the music video for My love (#23) it was such a joy to see Will really enjoying himself on set filming these videos.

All the songs had everything in its favour - i lost count how many times i listened to this track in those first 24 hours of release so it was a no brainer; Will Young had a more than comfortable lead when this slice of quality pop entered my chart at #1.

Whilst the music video was readily available to view on YouTube upon its release, it suddenly got blocked "in your country" around the time when Lexicon was released which is a real shame. Yet i'm still able to embed the music video so i have done. Maybe one day it'll get unblocked and we'll be able to enjoy watching the video again.

Comment

• 03. Lizzo - Juice

001. Lizzo - Juice
              Originally posted by Thriller View Post
              1 LIZZO Juice
              YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! <3

@JakeP, you're up next.
              So sorry guys, i didn't get the memo.

At #3 it's the one and only Lizzo with the absolute anthem Juice. There really isn't anything more i could say about this track that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere. I'm delighted that Juice wound up as being one of 2019's truly successful singles with several UK Mixers. <3

Oddly enough this track had a rather humble beginning. I noticed Juice doing relatively well on iTunes back in January so i listened to the preview out of curiosity. I liked what i heard but initially left it at that. I know, shocking! However, i slowly started to revisit track more after checking out the music video on YouTube. Juice finally dented my top 20...at #12 and in those following weeks i found myself loving the song more and more. Finally - four weeks into its run - it was as if the penny dropped and i was in fully blown Lizzo mode as Juice became by far my most listened to single during its 3 week reign at #1 in my chart. It also led to the rather confusing matter of both myself and [MENTION=9435]Fan[/MENTION] sharing the same avatar for three weeks too!

Last edited by JakeP; Mon January 13th, 2020, 00:00.

Comment

• So who has earned my #1 of 2019? Is it Dua Lipa or Kygo & Whitney Houston?!!!

Let's find out...

02. Dua Lipa - Donít start now

So close but so far! Dua Lipa is my #2 of 2019 with the flawless disco bopper Don't start now. <3

To think back in February, we got Swan song. I mean, it was fierce and all, even making my top 5 but it fizzled out quicker than a faulty firework. What would Dua Lipa bring to the table to kickstart the next chapter? Well, the answer is quite simply pop/disco dynamite!!!! Don't start now was being tease on social media before its release and the snippets alone got me excited. Usually it leads to disappointment but i just had a good feeling this was going to be something special. When Don't start now was released in November i checked out the music video with much anticipation on YouTube. Everything clicked on the first listen and i was loving hearing Dua going full on disco chic with her sultry tones (to anyone who says she sounds bored, you're wrong ). Dua had already been showcasing her inner diva thanks to tracks like One kiss and Electricity (especially in the music video for the latter). Don't start now was an unstoppable force clocking up a total of five weeks at #1 - the longest for any single in 2019 (yes, The Weeknd also managed five weeks too but it crossed into 2020 ). Admittedly the gap between #1 and #2 wasn't that close so Dua Lpa would've needed to release this a month earlier to be in contention for my #1 single of 2019.

Comment

• 01. Kygo & Whitney Houston - Higher love

They've done it!!! Yes, my #1 of 2019 is Kygo & Whitney Houston with the majestic Higher love.

Talk about jumping to conclusions, when i first found out about this track i wasn't exactly filled with much optimism:

Ahh i know the song you're referring to. So it's gonna be another midtempo tropical house track?

Just what the world needs right now, the 6 millionth tropical house track.

(i hope i'm wrong )
                  Thankfully Kygo delivered an amazing uplifting makeover for Whitney Houston's cover of Higher love retaining the uplifting feel good factor provided from the gospel choir backing vocals of the original recording and also respecting Whitney's vocals.

I'd been discussing with Akini over the last few months how the battle for my year end #1 was between Juice and Higher love but i had been downplaying just how well Kygo & Whitney Houston had actually done overall. It had three non consecutive weeks at #1, spent the longest number of weeks in the top 10 (12 weeks) and had the longest chart run of 2019 (17 weeks in the top 20).

I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who has contributed to my countdown. Here's to 2020 and looking forward to plenty of amazing musical gems in the next twelve months.

Comment

• I knew "Nice to Meet Ya" would be high here. I'm still not crazy about anything Niall's done this sophomore era, but it's not awful.

"All the Songs" is sleek, lush pop. It's sublime music. I knew it would be high here and I'm quite pleased to see it in the fourth position.

"Juice", I fully expected to be #2 here! It's hilarious how you were the one to introduce me to it and I ended up giving it top honours, while you have it 'stalled' in third place. Still, many, many thanks for putting me onto this so early. It's been an excellent source of positivity for 2019 and I'm sure its magic will last far beyond for me!

I know you mentioned something about weighting songs with later debuts in the year a bit differently from their older counterparts, but I still didn't think "Don't Start Now" had had enough time to breach your top two. I was wrong! I still think it's nothing extraordinary, but maybe it'll randomly grow on me one day...though I have my doubts. I don't take to Dua the way so many other pop fans have, and I'm not sure why.

I knew "Higher Love" would be #1 here and I'm happy to see it claim top honours. Whitney is the greatest singer we've ever had and "Higher Love" honours her tremendous talent. Honestly, had I not had such a strong personal connection to "Juice", the 'Whitney' factor would've put "Higher Love" over the top of an 'ordinary' #1 contender.

Fantastic countdown overall, but - to quote Billie Eilish - DUH!

I suspect we'll have the same top two, but in reverse order this time 'round.
                    I was almost on it with my forecast!
                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Flawless top 2!
                      THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• 13. Ariana Grande - 7 rings
                        11. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - SeŮorita
                        10. Katy Perry - Never really over
                        08. Tones and I - Dance monkey
                        07. Billie Eilish - bad guy
                        06. Lizzo - Good as hell
                        05. Niall Horan - Nice to meet ya
                        04. Will Young - All the songs
                        03. Lizzo - Juice
                        01. Kygo & Whitney Houston - Higher love

Great countdown with a strong Top10!

While I knew "Juice" and "Higher Love" would end up high, I somehow 'forgot' about Dua Lipa. Didn't feel as huge as the other two - but musically, it's actually my fave of the bunch. A fantastic return for her and a great way to start a new era!

Also loving the appearances for Billie and Ariana, both made my Top100 as well

Comment

• 10. Katy Perry - Never really over
                          06. Lizzo - Good as hell
                          03. Lizzo - Juice

love all of these! Shame Dua wasn't the #1, I prefer it a lot

01. Kygo & Whitney Houston - Higher love - this is cute, for me personally it's nothing that special, but I see why people like it, it's nice to hear Whitney's voice on a hit
                          last.fm

Comment

• Never Really Over is also one of my favourite songs of the year. I had kind of lost interest in Katy during the Witness era, but she won me back with this TUNE (sadly she has lost me again with the songs she released afterwards, I don't even remember any of them). It has such a euphoric feeling and the pre-chorus is one of the finest pop moments of the year. I always feel to urge to play it very very loud. Also a very good karaoke song (yes I went there).

That Dance Monkey song is, unfortunately, for me a total bore and Billie Eilish is one of my least favourite artists of all time. I just don't get her.

Lizzo <3 Tempo would be my favourite song of hers this year, but still happy to see her twice. Never ever did I expect her to become so massive after starting to love Juice back in January.

It also led to the rather confusing matter of both myself and @Fan sharing the same avatar for three
                            weeks too!
                            Hahahaha, bless

All The Songs <33 Such a good comeback for Will. It is super catchy and poppy. The video is still lovely as well, never has this guy looked more sexy.

Don't Start Me Now is by far the best song Dua has ever released. I completely adore it.

Higher Love is a song I very recently discovered during my trip to the UK, when it was constantly on the radio. I hadn't realised it was actual Whitney before I looked it up. Fun dance song but nothing too special for me.

I'd rank Flowers (DJ Spoony/Sugababes), Saddest Generation (Ider), About Work The Dancefloor (Georgia), Mothers Daughter and The Most (Miley) and Blame It On Your Love (Charli XCX/Lizzo) among my favourite songs of the year.
                            i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Comment

• Yep that's a really decent top ten, I'd bop to them all, and we share two of the top ten! Great to see Katy and Will, and who can argue with Lizzo, really.
                              Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                I knew "Nice to Meet Ya" would be high here. I'm still not crazy about anything Niall's done this sophomore era, but it's not awful.
                                Ahh i remember you commenting on not really being into Niall's song. You could argue there was some bias there because i just adore Niall but i genuinely loved this song from the first listen.

"All the Songs" is sleek, lush pop. It's sublime music. I knew it would be high here and I'm quite pleased to see it in the fourth position.
                                It's exceptional and even finishing 4th feels slightly unjust but my top 3 are all so solid gems too. <3

"Juice", I fully expected to be #2 here! It's hilarious how you were the one to introduce me to it and I ended up giving it top honours, while you have it 'stalled' in third place. Still, many, many thanks for putting me onto this so early. It's been an excellent source of positivity for 2019 and I'm sure its magic will last far beyond for me!
                                Aww I'd been reading your comments towards the end of December and didn't want to many anything obvious too early. Gosh that is quite mad. Lizzo has done amazingly well and i'm super delighted that Juice ended up as both yours and Thriller's year end #1 singles.

I know you mentioned something about weighting songs with later debuts in the year a bit differently from their older counterparts, but I still didn't think "Don't Start Now" had had enough time to breach your top two. I was wrong! I still think it's nothing extraordinary, but maybe it'll randomly grow on me one day...though I have my doubts. I don't take to Dua the way so many other pop fans have, and I'm not sure why.
                                Ohh it's not really a weighting thing. I just think about how much i've listened to a single/watched the music video (this could be on YouTube or if i'm ever flicking through music channels) and also Dua Lipa got 5 weeks at #1 which was always going to be result in a bigger boost to her year end ranking. Aww maybe its because Dua Lipa is like a real life Daria. (don't know if you ever used to watch this on MTV)

I knew "Higher Love" would be #1 here and I'm happy to see it claim top honours. Whitney is the greatest singer we've ever had and "Higher Love" honours her tremendous talent. Honestly, had I not had such a strong personal connection to "Juice", the 'Whitney' factor would've put "Higher Love" over the top of an 'ordinary' #1 contender.
                                LOL yes i was really downplaying the success Higher love had achieved in my chart. I kinda knew all along (well since late autumn) that Lizzo was no longer my year end #1. It was much closer between Lizzo and Dua Lipa tbh. Kygo deserves some credit though, he also finished inside my top 10 of 2015 with Firestone but i have to admit, i never thought Kygo would ever better that song - but he achieved it tenfold thanks to not distorting Whitney's vocals (it's why i'm not keen on that Regard song Ride it).

Fantastic countdown overall, but - to quote Billie Eilish - DUH!

I was almost on it with my forecast!
                                "...duh" will go down as classic 2019 moment.

Ahh i read that comment too but didn't want to bring too much attention to it and give the game away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                  Flawless top 2!
                                  Just the top 2?

Poor Lizzo... lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                    13. Ariana Grande - 7 rings
                                    11. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - SeŮorita
                                    08. Tones and I - Dance monkey
                                    06. Lizzo - Good as hell
                                    05. Niall Horan - Nice to meet ya
                                    04. Will Young - All the songs
                                    03. Lizzo - Juice
                                    01. Kygo & Whitney Houston - Higher love

Great countdown with a strong Top10!

While I knew "Juice" and "Higher Love" would end up high, I somehow 'forgot' about Dua Lipa. Didn't feel as huge as the other two - but musically, it's actually my fave of the bunch. A fantastic return for her and a great way to start a new era!

Also loving the appearances for Billie and Ariana, both made my Top100 as well
                                    Wow, that's an amazing hit rate - just the Sigala track you weren't keen on.

Haha it was a given which songs were likely to appear the highest - it was more a case of which order. Ohh i certainly didn't forget about Dua Lipa. It was one of my biggest and most played songs for the whole of November and December, i just didn't get tired of the song. It also helped with the fact Dua was serving amazeballs live performances to whet our appetites even more. I was so happy it became a hit in your chart too. <3

Billie Eilish played a big part in 2019 pop culture, kinda like Ariana did in 2018 but obviously on a bigger level.

I wonder who will be the biggest female artist of 2020?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                      06. Lizzo - Good as hell
                                      03. Lizzo - Juice

love all of these! Shame Dua wasn't the #1, I prefer it a lot

01. Kygo & Whitney Houston - Higher love - this is cute, for me personally it's nothing that special, but I see why people like it, it's nice to hear Whitney's voice on a hit
                                      Don't start now is fabulous disco pop, loved it since the day it was released. <3 However, Higher love just kept me coming back for more during the summer. It's actually a bit gutting to think my year end top 2 both stalled at #2 in the UK. I would've been ecstatic had both songs been official #1 hits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fan View Post
                                        Never Really Over is also one of my favourite songs of the year. I had kind of lost interest in Katy during the Witness era, but she won me back with this TUNE (sadly she has lost me again with the songs she released afterwards, I don't even remember any of them). It has such a euphoric feeling and the pre-chorus is one of the finest pop moments of the year. I always feel to urge to play it very very loud. Also a very good karaoke song (yes I went there).
                                        I totally agree with you about Witness being lacklustre which must've made people move on, and i wouldn't be at all surprised if many of those people didn't even bother with Never really over. It was Katy back to her absolute pop best...but then it just went rapidly downhill with that tragic mess Small talk - to go from epic #1 in my chart, and failing to even make #20 with the follow up is incredibly bad for any established popstar - especially if its one who has had success previously in my chart.

Originally posted by Fan View Post
                                        Lizzo <3 Tempo would be my favourite song of hers this year, but still happy to see her twice. Never ever did I expect her to become so massive after starting to love Juice back in January.
                                        You certainly led the way with supporting Lizzo right at the beginning of 2019. I'm also sure if was you who enlightened me to Juice and that gradually built up to becoming one of the biggest #1 tracks in my chart so kudos to you.

All The Songs <33 Such a good comeback for Will. It is super catchy and poppy. The video is still lovely as well, never has this guy looked more sexy.
                                        It really was, the whole Lexicon album was fantastic. Out of curiosity, can you view the music video for All the songs? I can't view in the UK so wondered if its only blocked in certain countries.

Don't Start Me Now is by far the best song Dua has ever released. I completely adore it.
                                        Yay! It's easily Dua's biggest hit in my own chart now overtaking New rules - kinda ironic considering that only got to #2 in my chart yet it still outperformed Scared to be lonely and Homesick which were #1s for Dua.

That Dance Monkey song is, unfortunately, for me a total bore and Billie Eilish is one of my least favourite artists of all time. I just don't get her.

Higher Love is a song I very recently discovered during my trip to the UK, when it was constantly on the radio. I hadn't realised it was actual Whitney before I looked it up. Fun dance song but nothing too special for me.
                                        Aww well, we can't all like the same music! I've seen a lot of hate towards Dance monkey but i love it. I also find Billie Eilish kinda refreshing as she doesn't really conform to whats expected from a young female artist. She's almost indie in her glorious pop way! (just my opinion of course ). Higher love imo is one of the most joyous uplifting feel good tracks from the whole of 2019. I love the song so much and it had some strong domination in my charts too.

I'd rank Flowers (DJ Spoony/Sugababes), Saddest Generation (Ider), About Work The Dancefloor (Georgia), Mothers Daughter and The Most (Miley) and Blame It On Your Love (Charli XCX/Lizzo) among my favourite songs of the year.
                                        You should've done your own countdown top 10 songs of 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                          Yep that's a really decent top ten, I'd bop to them all, and we share two of the top ten! Great to see Katy and Will, and who can argue with Lizzo, really.
                                          LOL they're all bops for sure as much as i do love my big slushy pop ballads. Katy delivered one excellent song but failed to capitalise on this. Will just got everything spot on with both the singles and the album.

Haha well, i wouldn't wanna mess with Lizzo. I don't think anyone could argue with Lizzo and win.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                                            I wonder who will be the biggest female artist of 2020?
                                            My dream: Selena Gomez
                                            Reality: Adele

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                              My dream: Selena Gomez
                                              Reality: Adele

Ohh if Adele does release new music in 2020 then yes she could totally own the music world single handedly. Although after the flawless 25, i'll be incredibly impressed a new Adele album delivered (i.e. i enjoy every track on the album)

As for Selena, i actually thought she had become one of the few female artists to actually get streaming success so i really expected her album to be doing better on Spotify.

Comment

• Great to see Niall Horan so high and a fantastic #1. Great top 10 overall - one of my favourite countdowns.
                                                Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

• great to see Will Young high, what an awesome song.
                                                  Somehow Kygo made Whitney's vocal sound a little bit plastic and even though the whole thing obviously had limitations, it didn't really click with me
                                                  Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• My faves in your Top 10:

Your #1 is cute, too, though!
                                                    2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                                                      Ohh if Adele does release new music in 2020 then yes she could totally own the music world single handedly. Although after the flawless 25, i'll be incredibly impressed a new Adele album delivered (i.e. i enjoy every track on the album)

As for Selena, i actually thought she had become one of the few female artists to actually get streaming success so i really expected her album to be doing better on Spotify.
                                                      Well, it will be tough to release yet another great album for Adele, but if Lana could do it then why not also Adele? Plus she definitely has the sales on her side. She'll probably not sell as much as she did with her previous albums, but it's definitely going to be another blockbuster.

Agreed. She did well (also compared to other female artists, "Rare" had actually one of the best openings for female artists ever) but I expected even more.

Comment

• Outside of "All The Songs" (which I haven't heard yet), the top 5 all magnificent and all perfect!
                                                        Really love the songs on there and they would've made my Year-end list of 2019 too.
                                                        Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                        X