Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2019: [#1 Revealed!]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2019: [#1 Revealed!]

    It's been a good year for albums. This will be a swift countdown, with a projected end date of...tomorrow.

    Here are the nominees for top LP.





    3
    Cuz I Love You
    0.00%
    0
    Lover
    33.33%
    1
    Norman F**king Rockwell!
    0.00%
    0
    Songs for You
    33.33%
    1
    Thank U, Next
    33.33%
    1
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

    The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

  • #2
    Excited!!

    I know and like four of these albums, so I'm sure this countdown will be awesome

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tansike View Post
      Excited!!

      I know and like four of these albums, so I'm sure this countdown will be awesome
      Let's see where your fave ends up!
      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

      The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

      Comment


      • #4
        25. Coldplay - Everyday Life



        An album I explored, to some extent, due to interest, but to a much larger extent to make up numbers, Everyday Life was a dull listen, with few replay-worthy tracks.

        Best Tracks:
        - Champion of the World

        Quality Rating: 6.85/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Trouble in Town [#16]
        24. Solange - When I Get Home



        I went into this not expecting to love it, but hoping to find another "Losing You" or "F.U.B.U.". I didn't.

        Best Tracks:
        - Down with the Clique
        - Way to the Show

        Quality Rating: 6.98/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Way to the Show [#9]
        23. Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins



        A long way off from the brothers' A Little Bit Longer best, my curiosity got the better of me and I checked this out. It's forgettable, sub-par pop, but good that they got a #1 hit in 2019 - definitely one of the year's biggest surprises.

        Best Tracks:
        - Only Human
        - Sucker

        Quality Rating: 7.09/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Sucker [#9]; Cool [#18]; Used to Be [#18]
        22. Sara Bareilles - Amidst the Chaos



        Now this was a pleasant listen. There aren't any stunners, à la "Brave", "I Choose You", or "She Used to Be Mine", but there are more than a handful of good tracks that, given more time, I could see myself growing to appreciate more.

        Best Tracks:
        - Orpheus
        - Saint Honesty
        - Armour
        - Miss Simone
        - Wicked Love
        - If I Can't Have You
        - No Such Thing
        - Eyes on You

        Quality Rating: 7.38/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Armour [#5]; Orpheus [#8]; Poetry by Dead Men [#9]; Saint Honesty [#12]; Miss Simone [#16]
        21. Manila Luzon - Rules!



        On an album with only six full-length songs, you don't give yourself much room for error, and Manila makes but a singular misstep on this incredibly brief record ("Barbra, Can You Hear Me?"). Everything else is good, and "Go Fish" is actually rather special.

        Best Tracks:
        - Go Fish
        - F**k Fashion
        - Robbed
        - Inspire Me
        - Gay Man

        Quality Rating: 7.53/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Go Fish [#1(2)]; The Official Trailer (Intro) [#3]; The Rules (Interlude) [#4]; Inspire Me [#5]; F**k Fashion [#5]; Robbed [#6]; Inspire Me (Reprise) [#9]
        20. Kanye West - Jesus Is King



        I checked this out to see if, despite all the disappointing public statements and antics, Kanye still had the magic touch. "Selah" proved that he does, though this record is obviously not in the league with his best work.

        Best Tracks:
        - Selah
        - Closed on Sunday
        - Follow God
        - On God
        - Every Hour
        - Everything We Need
        - Jesus Is Lord

        Quality Rating: 7.7/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Selah [#2]; Closed on Sunday [#4]; Every Hour [#16]; Follow God [#17]; On God [#20]
        19. Madonna - Madame X



        Great political messages and massive overproduction, Madame X is am ambitious lab experiment that produced mixed results. I don't think it's her worst album, but it will likely go down as one of her most forgettable.

        Best Tracks:
        - I Rise
        - Faz Gostoso
        - God Control
        - Crave
        - Future
        - Bitch I'm Loca
        - Medellín
        - Killers Who Are Partying
        - Crazy
        - Looking for Mercy
        - I Don't Search I Find
        - Dark Ballet

        Quality Rating: 7.79/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: I Rise [#1(1)]; Crave [#1(1)]; God Control [#2]; Medellín [#2]; Dark Ballet [#2]; Faz Gostoso [#4]; Bitch I'm Loca [#5]; Crazy [#15]; Future [#18]; Killers Who Are Partying [#19]
        18. Mika - My Name Is Michael Holbrook



        This is on par with Mika's standard, though its highest height ("Dear Jealousy") isn't quite as brilliant as his classics.

        Best Tracks:
        - Dear Jealousy
        - Sanremo
        - Ice-cream
        - Tiny Love
        - Platform Ballerinas
        - I Went to Hell Last Night
        - Cry
        - Ready to Call This Love
        - Paloma

        Quality Rating: 7.8/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Dear Jealousy [#1(1)]; Tiny Love [#2]; Sanremo [#4]; Platform Ballerinas [#9]; I Went to Hell Last Night [#13]
        17. Céline Dion - Courage



        At 20 tracks long, I'll say the obvious and say this could've been five to eight tracks shorter. However, it shows that Céline is still in excellent vocal shape, and even though it's very much a stereotypical ballad-heavy album, it never gets boring, which is a massive achievement.

        Best Tracks:
        - Perfect Goodbye
        - Falling in Love Again
        - Flying on My Own
        - Imperfections
        - Change My Mind
        - How Did You Get Here
        - Lying Down
        - For the Lover That I Lost
        - Nobody's Watching
        - Lovers Never Die
        - Look at Us Now
        - Heart of Glass
        - The Hard Way
        - Baby
        - I Will Be Stronger

        Quality Rating: 7.845/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Perfect Goodbye [#1(2)]; Falling in Love Again [#1(1)]; Flying on My Own [#3]; How Did You Get Here [#4]; Change My Mind [#8]; Imperfections [#10]; The Hard Way [#11];  Lying Down [#14]; Look at Us Now [#19]; Courage [#19]
        16. Megan Thee Stallion - Fever



        As no surprise to me, the best mixtape of the year came via a female emcee. It's great to see more female rappers really breaking into the mainstream, and on Fever, Megan proves she has the chops to go far.

        Best Tracks:
        - Running Up Freestyle
        - Simon Says
        - W.A.B.
        - Best You Ever Had
        - Sex Talk
        - Pimpin'
        - Big Drank
        - Hood Rat Shit
        - Dance
        - Ratchet
        - Cash Shit
        - Money Good
        - Realer

        Quality Rating: 7.85/10
        Code:
        Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Running Up Freestyle [#1(1)]; Simon Says [#2]; W.A.B. [#3]; Dance [#13]; Sex Talk [#14]
        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

        The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

        Comment


        • #5
          What a nice surprise to see birthday sister Manila!

          I hated Solange‘s record but Madame X was quite pleasant. I RISE + FAZ GOSTOSO are my favorites.
          DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

          Comment


          • #6
            My expectations of Mika weren't too high, glad I was proven wrong, it was a good album, especially "Dear Jealousy", "Cry" and "Sanremo"
            Waffles are checked cookies

            Comment


            • #7
              When I Get Home and Fever are both great albums!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Loose View Post
                What a nice surprise to see birthday sister Manila!

                I hated Solange‘s record but Madame X was quite pleasant. I RISE + FAZ GOSTOSO are my favorites.
                Those are my top two from Madame X, too!

                Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                My expectations of Mika weren't too high, glad I was proven wrong, it was a good album, especially "Dear Jealousy", "Cry" and "Sanremo"
                "Dear Jealousy" and "Sanremo" are my faves! I never got into "Cry" that much, though. I'll have to revisit it.

                Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
                When I Get Home and Fever are both great albums!
                When I Get Home was a disappointment for me, to be honest.

                Fever shows great promise!
                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

                The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  15. Lil Nas X - 7 EP



                  A young, black gay male (and Nicki fan, whether he admits to it or not) achieves unprecedented Hot 100 success with his debut single in the US's current political climate? There was a 100% chance that I would at least check out his material, but I'm happy that there was some quality to support the hype. It's the highest hip/hop record of the year.

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Rodeo
                  - Old Town Road
                  - Bring U Down
                  - F9Mily (You & Me)
                  - Panini
                  - Kick It

                  Quality Rating: 7.99/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Rodeo [#1(4)]; Old Town Road [#1(4)]; Bring U Down [#4]; Panini [#19]
                  14. Billie Eilish - When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?



                  A darker, alternative-leaning pop debut from a young female artist, WWFAWDWG is reminiscent of Lorde's 2013 Pure Heroine debut, but it's even better!

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Bad Guy
                  - All the Good Girls Go to Hell
                  - My Strange Addiction
                  - You Should See Me in a Crown
                  - Bury a Friend
                  - Wish You Were Gay
                  - Xanny
                  - Ilomilo
                  - When the Party's Over
                  - I Love You

                  Quality Rating: 8.01/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Bad Guy [#1(1)]; You Should See Me in a Crown [#1(1)]; Bury a Friend [#2]; Xanny [#3]; My Strange Addiction [#3]; All the Good Girls Go to Hell [#4]; Wish You Were Gay [#10]; When the Party's Over [#17]
                  13. Maren Morris - Girl



                  I checked out two country albums this year: Girl and Miranda Lambert's Wildcard. This one was far superior.

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Common
                  - The Bones
                  - Great Ones
                  - RSVP
                  - Flavour
                  - Make Out with Me
                  - Gold Love
                  - All My Favourite People
                  - A Song for Everything
                  - Girl
                  - Shade
                  - To Hell & Back
                  - The Feels

                  Quality Rating: 8.02/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Common [#2]; The Bones [#6]; Shade [#7]; A Song for Everything [#13]; Girl [#16]; All My Favourite People [#17]; To Hell & Back [#19]
                  12. Will Young - Lexicon



                  One of the most pleasant surprises in pop music in 2019, Lexicon saw Will Young in career-best form. Heartbreak albums are a dime a dozen, but this one is actually pretty good.

                  Best Tracks:
                  - All the Songs
                  - Faithless Love
                  - My Love
                  - Scars
                  - Ground Running
                  - The Way We Were
                  - Say Anything

                  Quality Rating: 8.03/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: All the Songs [#1(1)]; My Love [#1(1)]; Faithless Love [#1(1)]; Say Anything [#3]; ; Scars [#4]; Ground Running [#5]; The Way We Were [#6]
                  11. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You



                  The definitive feel-good LP of the year, Cuz I Love You is a strong showcase of all Lizzo has to offer: endless personality, killer instrumentation, uplifting lyrics and clever mantras, and soul!

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Juice
                  - Heaven Help Me
                  - Good as Hell
                  - Water Me
                  - Jerome
                  - Truth Hurts
                  - Like a Girl
                  - Cuz I Love You
                  - Better in Colour
                  - Lingerie
                  - Boys
                  - Tempo

                  Quality Rating: 8.12/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Juice[#1(8)]; Good as Hell [#2]; ; Heaven Help Me [#2]; Jerome [#2]; Like a Girl [#4]; Water Me [#9]; Truth Hurts [#10]; Soulmate [#13]; Tempo [#16]; Lingerie [#18]; Crybaby [#20]
                  10. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated



                  Dedicated I went into expecting top quality pop, and Carly Rae didn't disappoint. It's not her E•MO•TION best, but it's a consistently solid listen throughout.

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Right Words, Wrong Time
                  - Too Much
                  - Julien
                  - Real Love
                  - Happy Not Knowing
                  - Automatically in Love
                  - Feels Right
                  - I'll Be Your Girl
                  - The Sound
                  - Want You in My Room
                  - For Sure
                  - No Drug Like Me
                  - Now That I Found You
                  - Everything He Needs

                  Quality Rating: 8.14/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Right Words, Wrong Time [#1(2)]; Want You in My Room [#1(1)]; Too Much [#2]; Automatically in Love [#3]; Feels Right [#4]; Julien [#6]; Happy Not Knowing [#8]; I'll Be Your Girl [#8]; Everything He Needs [#9]; The Sound [#11]; Real Love [#14]; For Sure [#16]
                  09. Beyoncé - The Lion King: The Gift



                  Much like Lady Gaga with A Star Is Born, Beyoncé may have done a terrible job voicing Nala in the film, but she did much better within her forte - the music. The LP's got the standard inspirational ballads, but I'm happy Bey injected some modern R&B and hip/hop into the album.

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Bigger
                  - Find Your Way Back
                  - Spirit
                  - Mood 4 Eva
                  - Brown Skin Girl
                  - Otherside
                  - Already

                  Quality Rating: 8.12/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Bigger [#1(3)]; Spirit [#2]; Mood 4 Eva [#2]; Find Your Way Back [#3)]; Already [#7]
                  08. P!nk - Hurts 2B Human



                  This album feels weaker than it actually is, and I think it's down to the fact that there really isn't a stunner uptempo number on it. The best tracks are ballads, so it does feel like there's a bit of bite lacking. At any rate, P!nk's string of consistently solid releases isn't broken with this effort.

                  Best Tracks:
                  - Courage
                  - 90 Days
                  - Hustle
                  - (Hey Why) Miss You Sometime
                  - Walk Me Home
                  - Can We Pretend
                  - Happy
                  - Circle Game
                  - My Attic
                  - We Could Have It All
                  - Love Me Anyway
                  - Hurts 2B Human
                  - The Last Song of Your Life

                  Quality Rating: 8.17/10
                  Code:
                  Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Courage [#1(5)]; 90 Days [#2]; (Hey Why) Miss You Sometime [#7]; Hustle [#11]; Hurts 2B Human [#13]; Can We Pretend [#20]
                  Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

                  The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Cuz I Love You and Dedicated both really SLAP.
                    I disagree there are no stunners on Amidst The Chaos, Saint Honesty and No Such Thing are the definition. But I do agree it's a bit background music overall sadly.
                    Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Solange album was disappointing. No melodies to hang your hat on.

                      Celine's has its moments.

                      Maren great. Carly mostly great. Kanye pretty good stab at gospel.

                      Madge album is lousy. Coldplay is just too dull but it tries to be different at least. More than can be said of most acts of their stature.
                      Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (22nd Feb 20) - Xymox, Purity Ring, Selena, Blancmange, Sparks, Angelic Process, SDH, Tennis

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Out of this bunch I‘ve only paid real attention to Lizzo‘s Cuz I Love You.
                        Generally a very likeable record. However, a bit too loud and ‚boorish‘ to some extent.

                        P!nk made a bombastic ballad with 90 days but the album as a whole is quite catastrophic.
                        DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          25. Coldplay - Everyday Life
                          23. Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins
                          22. Sara Bareilles - Amidst the Chaos
                          21. Manila Luzon - Rules!
                          19. Madonna - Madame X
                          18. Mika - My Name Is Michael Holbrook
                          17. Céline Dion - Courage
                          Good first group of albums. These are all albums that I also enjoyed last year, though none of them made a really big impact on me if I'm being honest. "Everyday Life" and "Courage" are the best ones for me there, the latter is actually still growing on me at the moment!

                          15. Lil Nas X - 7 EP
                          14. Billie Eilish - When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
                          13. Maren Morris - Girl
                          12. Will Young - Lexicon
                          11. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
                          10. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
                          08. P!nk - Hurts 2B Human
                          Very strong second group!

                          Lizzo and Will are solid albums for me, but I probably need more time to get into these artists. Seeing Lizzo missing out your Top10 is a surprise though, I mean... I really expected her to be there

                          Always nice to see some love for Lil Nas X' EP, I think all songs are well done and this has been one of the biggest surprised of 2019 to me. Great lil EP and I can't wait to see what he'll do next! Also love "When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" and "Girl", both are among my faves as well

                          Love your line 'This album feels weaker than it actually is, and I think it's down to the fact that there really isn't a stunner uptempo number on it' for P!nk's "Hurts 2B Human" as this is so true! The album is not bad at all, but I get why it doesn't get more love. I do some track-by-track reviews on another site with scores and ended up with a much better total score for the album than expected, as the album didn't have much replay value for me and I thought it's weak but the songs themselves are far from bad (or weak)...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

                            When I Get Home was a disappointment for me, to be honest.
                            Sometimes I feel like 'When I Get Home' plays out more like a vibe, or a creative art piece, than an album as it is less about melodies and more about feels! So get why it's not everyone's cup of tea, and it took time to grow on me!

                            Billie's album is really good, one of my favourites of the year. Lizzo is decent, but think it's too "everything and the kitchen sink" and almost falls into 'Glee' territory at points. The peaks on the album are some of the best of the year though.
                            The Gift is great!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                              Cuz I Love You and Dedicated both really SLAP.
                              I disagree there are no stunners on Amidst The Chaos, Saint Honesty and No Such Thing are the definition. But I do agree it's a bit background music overall sadly.
                              "Saint Honesty", I spent time with and didn't hear anything particularly special. "No Such Thing", I should probably revisit.

                              Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                              Solange album was disappointing. No melodies to hang your hat on.

                              Celine's has its moments.

                              Maren great. Carly mostly great. Kanye pretty good stab at gospel.

                              Madge album is lousy. Coldplay is just too dull but it tries to be different at least. More than can be said of most acts of their stature.
                              Apt description of the Solange album! I wouldn't go as far as to call Madame X lousy, but it is...noisy in parts.

                              Originally posted by Loose View Post
                              Out of this bunch I‘ve only paid real attention to Lizzo‘s Cuz I Love You.
                              Generally a very likeable record. However, a bit too loud and ‚boorish‘ to some extent.

                              P!nk made a bombastic ballad with 90 days but the album as a whole is quite catastrophic.
                              I adore "90 Days", but I think "Courage" is even better!

                              Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              Good first group of albums. These are all albums that I also enjoyed last year, though none of them made a really big impact on me if I'm being honest. "Everyday Life" and "Courage" are the best ones for me there, the latter is actually still growing on me at the moment!
                              Glad to hear this!

                              Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              Very strong second group!

                              Lizzo and Will are solid albums for me, but I probably need more time to get into these artists. Seeing Lizzo missing out your Top10 is a surprise though, I mean... I really expected her to be there
                              It was actually a stronger year in albums than I expected it would be. In most years, Lizzo would've made top 10 here.

                              Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              Always nice to see some love for Lil Nas X' EP, I think all songs are well done and this has been one of the biggest surprised of 2019 to me. Great lil EP and I can't wait to see what he'll do next! Also love "When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" and "Girl", both are among my faves as well
                              Glad to see some love for Lil Nas!

                              Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                              Love your line 'This album feels weaker than it actually is, and I think it's down to the fact that there really isn't a stunner uptempo number on it' for P!nk's "Hurts 2B Human" as this is so true! The album is not bad at all, but I get why it doesn't get more love. I do some track-by-track reviews on another site with scores and ended up with a much better total score for the album than expected, as the album didn't have much replay value for me and I thought it's weak but the songs themselves are far from bad (or weak)...
                              Yeah, that's the thing with Hurts 2B Human, and I suppose that's the flaw with ratings because you can have a four-track EP that averages to 8/10 with songs that are 10/10, 10/10, 10/10, and 2/10 that gets the same average as four 8/10 tracks, but very often we'll revisit the LP with the three 10/10 tracks.

                              Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
                              Sometimes I feel like 'When I Get Home' plays out more like a vibe, or a creative art piece, than an album as it is less about melodies and more about feels! So get why it's not everyone's cup of tea, and it took time to grow on me!

                              Billie's album is really good, one of my favourites of the year. Lizzo is decent, but think it's too "everything and the kitchen sink" and almost falls into 'Glee' territory at points. The peaks on the album are some of the best of the year though.
                              The Gift is great!
                              Glee territory is comfortable and welcome space for me!

                              I don't typically dig vibe albums. I guess I still oftentimes view them as a collection of songs so if an LP sorta just blends into one long song/vibe, it doesn't leave much of an impression on me.
                              Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

                              The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                07. Tinashe - Songs for You



                                A terrific record, Songs for You showcases Tinashe's talent better than any of her previous LPs. I love the variety: R&B, pop, soul, dance, disco, funk, hip/hop. The vocals are amazing, the production immaculate, and I even appreciate the visuals for the era. Tinashe did fantastic work with this, and it's a shame that she's not been rewarded with the appropriate commercial success.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - Know Better
                                - So Much Better
                                - Save Room for Us
                                - Die a Little Bit
                                - Perfect Crime
                                - Feelings
                                - Story of Us
                                - Stormy Weather
                                - Cash Race
                                - Touch & Go

                                Quality Rating: 8.12/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Know Better [#1(2)]; So Much Better [#1(1)]; Die a Little Bit [#1(1)]; Perfect Crime [#3]; Save Room for Us [#4]; Cash Race [#6]; Stormy Weather [#6]; Feelings [#14]
                                06. Todrick Hall - Haus Party, Pt. I



                                A big gay house party, Haus Party, Pt. I is brief, but does quite a bit of damage in 25 minutes. Todrick's songwriting is ace, his vocal delivery excellent, and the production pretty damn good. As it's dance/house music, sometimes the lyrics do get a bit repetitive, but I enjoyed the high-energy ride.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - Attention
                                - I Like Boys
                                - Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels
                                - Amen
                                - Glitter
                                - Chapstick

                                Quality Rating: 8.23/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels [#1(2)]; I Like Boys [#2]; Attention [#3]; Amen [#16]; Glitter [#20]
                                05. Various Artists - Frozen II Soundtrack



                                While the first Frozen album had two songs that topped my chart for 11 days, its follow-up soundtrack wasn't able to achieve any #1s. Despite this, it's still a strong collection of songs that I appreciated a bit more after seeing the even more fantastic film.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - Show Yourself
                                - I Seek the Truth
                                - The Next Right Thing
                                - Lost in the Woods
                                - When I Am Older
                                - Some Things Never Change
                                - Get This Right
                                - Into the Unknown
                                - All Is Found

                                Quality Rating: 8.24/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: The Next Right Thing [#3]; Show Yourself [#4]; Get This Right [#4]; I Seek the Truth [#7]; ; Some Things Never Change [#15]; Into the Unknown [#16]; When I Am Older [#18]
                                04. MNEK - Language



                                A promising debut from an act who already carries himself as a veteran, Language was an album that I thought was okay the first time I played it, but the second time around I thought it was rather fantastic. Interestingly enough, only three of its tracks managed to make my daily top 20.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - Tongue
                                - Correct
                                - Girlfriend
                                - Colour
                                - Phone
                                - Touched by You
                                - Body
                                - Honeymoon Phaze
                                - Crazy World
                                - Paradise

                                Quality Rating: 8.29/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Tongue [#1(3)]; Correct [#1(2)]; Girlfriend [#2]
                                03. Taylor Swift - Lover



                                Lover saw Taylor Swift retread to smoother melodies, cheerier lyrics, and more colourful visuals, and it was a return that I was quite happy to see. Yes, the first two single choices were poor, but as much as I've berated them, there really isn't a clunker on this record, and for an 18-track ride, that speaks volumes. Interesting fact: Lover sent eight of its tracks to the top 2 of my daily chart (three #1s, five #2s) for a joint top 2 record among 2019 LPs, and had a further eight tracks (for a grand total of 16) make my daily chart, 16 tracks being an unmatched sum among 2019 albums.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - The Man
                                - Afterglow
                                - Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince
                                - Daylight
                                - Cruel Summer
                                - Lover
                                - False Good
                                - Cornelia Street
                                - I Forgot That You Existed
                                - I Think He Knows
                                - It's Nice to Have a Friend
                                - The Archer
                                - Me!
                                - You Need to Calm Down
                                - Paper Rings
                                - Death by a Thousand Cuts
                                - London Boy

                                Quality Rating: 8.32/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: The Man [#1(3)]; Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince [#1(1)]; Lover [#1(1)]; Afterglow [#2]; Daylight [#2]; False God [#2]; The Archer [#2]; Me! [#2]; Cruel Summer [#3]; I Think He Knows [#5]; It's Nice to Have a Friend [#8]; I Forgot That You Existed [#8]; You Need to Calm Down [#9]; Paper Rings [#15]; False God [#17]; Cornelia Street [#20]
                                02. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next



                                Sweetener may have had the twin giants "Breathin" and "God Is a Woman", but Thank U, Next had the most cohesive flow, and the stronger overall collection of tracks. In fact, it's my favourite Ari album to date, and its success on my chart is rather astonishing, with six #1s (more than any other 2019 LP) and two #2s (the combined eight top 2s is a record jointly held with Lover). 11 of its 12 tracks made my daily top 20 chart, the only one failing to do so being "Bad Idea". Its tracks have spent 19 days atop my daily chart, which, as you guessed, is another record among 2019 LPs. Indeed, it did seem for some time that this would go all the way here, right up until late August.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - Thank U, Next
                                - Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
                                - 7 Rings
                                - Imagine
                                - Needy
                                - Fake Smile
                                - In My Head
                                - Ghostin
                                - Bloodline
                                - NASA

                                Quality Rating: 8.43/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: Thank U, Next [#1(6)]; 7 Rings [#1(4)]; Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored [#1(3)]; In My Head [#1(3)]; Bloodline [#1(1)]; Imagine [#1(1)]; Needy [#1(1)]; Ghostin [#2]; Fake Smile [#3]; NASA [#4]; Make Up [#13]
                                01. Lana Del Rey - Norman F**king Rockwell!



                                With a meagre two #1s and a further two #2s, NFR's chart performance isn't as surface-level impressive as even Madame X's, which finished 19th here, but sometimes even my personal chart doesn't tell the full story. The worst song on this album is still an 8/10. In the first round of its survivor, when prompted to save however many tracks we wished to, I saved them all. NFR works so well as a full body of work. You put it on, and that dreamy, hypnotic universe Lana's infamous for just envelopes you. I knew it the first time I listened to it that it was special because I kept saving its tracks to my Spotify library, and when I was done and realised I'd save them all, I knew, even without my formal rating of the album, I'd just come across my album of the year. Lana may not have broken any daily top 20 chart records with this album, but with this album of the year title, she does become the very first artist in my year-end countdown history to earn two year-end #1 albums.

                                Best Tracks:
                                - F**k It, I Love You
                                - Happiness Is a Butterfly
                                - The Greatest
                                - Cinnamon Girl
                                - California
                                - Mariners Apartment Complex
                                - Bartender
                                - Doin' Time
                                - The Next Best American Record
                                - Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - but I Have It
                                - Venice Bitch
                                - How to Disappear
                                - Norman F**king Rockwell
                                - Love Song

                                Quality Rating: 8.62/10
                                Code:
                                Songs' Chart Peaks on Akini's Daily Top 20: F**k It, I Love You [#1(3)]; The Greatest [#1(1)]; Mariners Apartment Complex [#2]; Happiness Is a Butterfly [#2]; Cinnamon Girl [#5]; Venice Bitch [#5]; Bartender [#6]; ; Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - but I Have It [#9]; Doin' Time [#11]; California [#13]; How to Disappear [#15]; Love Song [#17]; Norman F**king Rockwell [#19]
                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

                                The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  JUSTICE for Death By A Thousand Cuts, by FAR the best song on Lover. And still for Saint Honesty. I'm just gonna keep shouting at you.

                                  Lover is too long but there IS a decent album within it for certain. Language on the other hand needs to remain exactly as it is because it's expertly put together, one of those listen start to finish because that's the way the production and segues intended kind of albums.
                                  Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Oh wow, Lana‘s #1 entry is quite a surprise! F**k it I love you is my favorite by far.

                                    Ariana‘s and Tinashe‘s albums are my favourites, Touch & Go is even in my Top 5 songs this year.
                                    DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Norman F**king Rockwell, thank u next and Songs For You are my favourites from that set. Songs From You just showed what Tinashe can do with full creative control, and I have seen that she has already got fan goodwill back after being a bit of a meme for flopping with the last era. thank u, next is another Ariana album that I became obsessed with, 'nasa' might be a career highlight for me.
                                      NFR is possibly Lana's best album, it's such a strong album that as you say completely transports you to the coasts of California!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        06. Todrick Hall - Haus Party, Pt. I
                                        04. MNEK - Language
                                        03. Taylor Swift - Lover
                                        02. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next
                                        01. Lana Del Rey - Norman F**king Rockwell!

                                        Didn't expect to see "Haus Party, Pt. I" that high, but congrats! Definitely a nice surprise to see Todrick finally having some kind of an impact with his music in 2019. MNEK is another surprise, though I already saw it coming based on your Songs countdown.

                                        Your Top3 is amazing! Love all of those albums, even though I personally think all of them released better albums in the past. But to be fair, all three women rarely (or never) disappoint with their releases and they all had a fantastic 2019!

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
                                          JUSTICE for Death By A Thousand Cuts, by FAR the best song on Lover. And still for Saint Honesty. I'm just gonna keep shouting at you.

                                          Lover is too long but there IS a decent album within it for certain. Language on the other hand needs to remain exactly as it is because it's expertly put together, one of those listen start to finish because that's the way the production and segues intended kind of albums.
                                          I'm cool with that.

                                          Language took a second play for me to really connect with it, but I agree with you that its length is perfect.

                                          Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                          Oh wow, Lana‘s #1 entry is quite a surprise! F**k it I love you is my favorite by far.

                                          Ariana‘s and Tinashe‘s albums are my favourites, Touch & Go is even in my Top 5 songs this year.
                                          Glad it's also your favourite! I feel like it's a bit underappreciated among the fandom.

                                          Wow, didn't realise you loved Tinashe's album so much! Good to know!

                                          Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
                                          Norman F**king Rockwell, thank u next and Songs For You are my favourites from that set. Songs From You just showed what Tinashe can do with full creative control, and I have seen that she has already got fan goodwill back after being a bit of a meme for flopping with the last era. thank u, next is another Ariana album that I became obsessed with, 'nasa' might be a career highlight for me.
                                          NFR is possibly Lana's best album, it's such a strong album that as you say completely transports you to the coasts of California!
                                          Ah, I don'tlove "NASA" quite as much, but the album is her best LP for me so far. Ari's developed a bit of a signature style for me and I love it!

                                          Agree with you on Lana! Never expected her to return to her Born to Die best and she came through in a big way with NFR.

                                          Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                          06. Todrick Hall - Haus Party, Pt. I
                                          04. MNEK - Language
                                          03. Taylor Swift - Lover
                                          02. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next
                                          01. Lana Del Rey - Norman F**king Rockwell!

                                          Didn't expect to see "Haus Party, Pt. I" that high, but congrats! Definitely a nice surprise to see Todrick finally having some kind of an impact with his music in 2019. MNEK is another surprise, though I already saw it coming based on your Songs countdown.

                                          Your Top3 is amazing! Love all of those albums, even though I personally think all of them released better albums in the past. But to be fair, all three women rarely (or never) disappoint with their releases and they all had a fantastic 2019!
                                          Admittedly, Todrick's album benefited from its brevity.

                                          Glad you enjoy the top three so much. Funnily enough, it looks like Ari had a better 2019 with me than with you.
                                          Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

                                          The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X