Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 of 2019 Countdown - COMPLETED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there!
    Out of your top 40 so far, I like "7 Rings", "Bury A Friend", "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart", "Cross Me", "F*ck, I'm Lonely", "Never Really Over", "All The Good Girls Go To Hell", "Don't Start Now", "Good As Hell", "So Am I" and "We Appreciate Power"!
    Great list so far!
    Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

So Am I - dismissed it at first, but turned out to be such an earworm

We Appreciate Power - not among my faves from her, glad she ditched this sound tbh
      last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
        Loved that Grimes song.
        Originally posted by Carbon View Post
        So Am I - dismissed it at first, but turned out to be such an earworm

We Appreciate Power - not among my faves from her, glad she ditched this sound tbh
        Hmm, a difference on opinion on Grimes That song actually made my 2010s countdown because those lyrics are so very Grimes. I was actually hoping to get more like it, though I do like her latest.

Originally posted by sergejdordij98 View Post
        Hi there!
        Out of your top 40 so far, I like "7 Rings", "Bury A Friend", "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart", "Cross Me", "F*ck, I'm Lonely", "Never Really Over", "All The Good Girls Go To Hell", "Don't Start Now", "Good As Hell", "So Am I" and "We Appreciate Power"!
        Great list so far!
        A new personal chart poster! Welcome! Glad you enjoy so many of the songs

Originally posted by king_oxymoron View Post
        Good As Hell has cropped up a lot unsurprisingly, banger.
        It's one I'm still playing too. I just can't seem to get tired of it

Comment

Position: Song: Details:
          15 Motivation - Normani

#2 - September

9-6-3-2-2-2-6-7-8-11-12-17
          14 Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya

#1 (3 weeks) - November

20-15-12-11-3-1-1-1-2-4-6-12-19-18-?
          13 Youth and Love - Jack Savoretti ft Mika

#2 - July

19-16-13-12-11-9-13-17-17-18-13-11-11-12-4-2-6-11-16
          12 One in a Million - Otto Knows

#2 - April

9-5-5-4-3-3-3-2-6-10-19-17-19-20
          11 Tell Your Girlfriend - Rebecca Levy

#1 (5 weeks) - September

18-9-4-2-1-1-1-1-1-5-12

Comment

• "Symmetry" probably resonated with me the most out of Daddy Jack's many Cheapboard hits in 2019.
            • Although I'd at least heard of Jack before he started smashing on your chart (thanks to Kylie), this No. 20 -> No. 11 batch has several artists I only know thanks to you! "Don't Blink," "One In A Million," and especially "Tell Your Girlfriend" were all much-appreciated discoveries. Speaking of "Tell Your Girlfriend": that five-week-run at No. 1 was the longest stint on top in 2019, right? Is it rare for a song with the longest run at No. 1 to fall short of that year's Top 10?
            • I think I'd enjoy "We Appreciate Power" even more after a bit of trimming (maybe a slightly shorter "Algorithm Mix," like she's done for a few other songs on Miss Anthropocene). That "what will it take to make you capitulate?" line is incredibly catchy, though!
            • I forgot that "Motivation" did so well! It made it to all the way to No. 1 on mine, but had a much shorter run overall.
            last.fm

Comment

"Nice To Meet Ya" is an amazing song and his follow-up is good too, can't wait for Niall's new album!
              Great to see "Motivation" here as well!
              Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                • "Symmetry" probably resonated with me the most out of Daddy Jack's many Cheapboard hits in 2019.
                Cheapboard

• Although I'd at least heard of Jack before he started smashing on your chart (thanks to Kylie), this No. 20 -> No. 11 batch has several artists I only know thanks to you! "Don't Blink," "One In A Million," and especially "Tell Your Girlfriend" were all much-appreciated discoveries. Speaking of "Tell Your Girlfriend": that five-week-run at No. 1 was the longest stint on top in 2019, right? Is it rare for a song with the longest run at No. 1 to fall short of that year's Top 10?
                Wow, I didn't think of this bit of trivia. It's rare enough that I'll say it hasn't really happened before. However, there are two instances where the longest #1 wasn't in the top ten. Both are from the early days of the chart. In the first year of my chart, the top ten consisted of songs that hadn't charted at all because I didn't start my chart until November of that year (1997 - ugh). 1999 had two songs spend 9 weeks at #1 - Down by Stone Temple Pilots didn't hit #1 until November, so it's full run for 1999 was cut short. It's run was also interrupted by a Christmas song, so most of its #1 weeks were actually in 2000 (where it also did not make the top ten for the year.)

Tell Your Girlfriend was indeed the longest running #1 of the year. At five weeks, that's a short run to claim that title. Only 2007 and 2014 have matched that. There wasn't much dynamism in #1 chart runs this year. It's the most #1s in a year since 2004.

• I think I'd enjoy "We Appreciate Power" even more after a bit of trimming (maybe a slightly shorter "Algorithm Mix," like she's done for a few other songs on Miss Anthropocene). That "what will it take to make you capitulate?" line is incredibly catchy, though!
                • I forgot that "Motivation" did so well! It made it to all the way to No. 1 on mine, but had a much shorter run overall.
                The Grimes song may go down for 2019 as one of my most played songs, even if its chart run doesn't reflect it - it came at the beginning of the year, which was a bit chaotic and had high competition.

I love that capitulate line. I was watching this Disney + documentary a couple nights ago called Year One Million , basically looking far into the future (more like a millenia or so). They were taking about the potential for AI to take over, and I thought that they really should have used this song for the soundtrack.

I'm incredibly disappointed Motivation tanked on the charts. Perhaps I'm in the minority of people who really liked the song, but I hope she recovers and comes out with a successful banger this year.

Comment

"Nice To Meet Ya" is an amazing song and his follow-up is good too, can't wait for Niall's new album!
                  Great to see "Motivation" here as well!
                  I am charting Niall's follow-up on my current chart, which I am posting after I update this

Comment

10 Rainbow - Kacey Musgraves

#1 (1 week) - March

7-2-2-2-2-1-2-5-8-12-15
                    9 Bad Guy - Billie Eilish

#1 (3 weeks) - May

17-9-8-4-3-1-1-1-6-7-12-15-18
                    8 Truth Hurts - Lizzo

#1 (3 weeks) - July

16-11-5-1-1-1-3-2-5-7-10-18
                    7 Lover - Taylor Swift

#2 - October

19-16-12-9-4-2-3-4-4-8-5-6-8-14-16-19
                    6 Ride - Lolo Zouai

#1 (4 weeks) - May

18-9-4-2-1-2-1-1-1-4-9-14

Comment

Sorry I missed these!

Hospitalized! Underrated.
                      • I definitely associate "Hospitalized" with you (and piquing my interest in Broods in general). I believe it was Fan who offered a few more recommendations, of which "Bridges" and "Free" really clicked with me too.
                      It sure was underrated - why does the GP suck so much? My only successful FSC entry this past year

• For better or worse, Ed struggles with scoring simultaneous Hot 100 smashes (compared to his Midas touch on the UK charts), so "Cross Me" got quite over-shadowed by "I Don't Care." I like both tracks, and wish both could've been big in the States.
                      I didn't care for I Don't Care But that was huge for him - I think one of the biggest of the year. And I think the only big single from that album, but I wonder if that has to do more with streaming than anything. You can just listen to the whole album as soon as it comes out, and so the success of follow-up singles has been diminished.

• Always pleased to see some Lauv love!
                      • Speaking of showing love, I haven't seen enough of it for "Never Really Over" on the YECs I've read, and Katy really impressed me with this one. I did enjoy some of the Witness singles, but this is probably my favorite from her since..."Birthday"? It should've been massive, but instead became an unfortunate indicator that a lot of people have just completely written her off, no matter what she'll release ("365," "Small Talk," "Harleys").
                      Katy's cancelling has been one of the most perplexing things I've seen. I still think it's the hair. I'm not kidding. My office husband thought she was the hottest person on earth, and then she did that with her hair and he was just done. Of course, the landscape also shifted in the nearly four years it took for her to release another album - also an error on her part. My own history with Katy is similar - I loved her from the get-go, but around TGIF, I decided I was just absolutely sick to death of her. Like, give us a chance to miss you, Katy! But then the break she took was too long. I wonder if Katy will ever have a top ten again, Never Really Over came so close, but it could end up being an ironic title for her sadly.

• Impressed with that strong year-end placement for "Demons," despite a mid-October release!
                      • Equally impressed that Mariah managed to hold on so well with a November 2018 release.
                      Yes, it looked like she would be overshadowed by Haunted Heart, but I held on to playing Demons well after the holiday whereas Christina got cancelled pretty quickly come November. Really have enjoyed the other tracks on Hayley's album.

Comment

Nice to see another fan of Jack and Mika’s collaboration.
                        THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Really nice to see "Lover", "Truth Hurts" and "Bad Guy" in the top 10!
                          Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

I'll never not love that you love "Caution". "Good as Hell" is a bop, though a not-as-stellar "Juice" for me.

"So Am I" is Ava's best for me...though I do feel like "Salt" is intent on changing my mind. I like "Don't Blink".

"Nice to Meet Ya" is okay. "Tell Your Girlfriend" is decent.

"Rainbow" is beautiful. "Bad Guy" is perfect mainstream weirdness. "Truth Hurts" made a few good points. "Lover" is yet another great love song in Taylor's repertoire.
                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Motivation - Normani
                              Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya
                              Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
                              Truth Hurts - Lizzo
                              Ride - Lolo Zouai

Love these songs. 'Motivation' is one of my bops of 2019, you can tell that Ariana had a hand in writing it and Normani just sold that song. Great to see Lolo Zouai, she's so underrated. Her album has been one of my favourites from 2019 and 'Ride' is one of her best songs!

Comment

Nice to see another fan of Jack and Mika’s collaboration.
                                Huge fan - as you can see it was on my chart for a long time - in fact, the longest of the year at 19 weeks. I think only one song (in the next set) even surpassed 15 weeks beside it.

Really nice to see "Lover", "Truth Hurts" and "Bad Guy" in the top 10!
                                I thought this would be a popular grouping - probably more popular than my actual top five. When I totalled the points, I really though all three would be higher, and I adjusted them up slightly for the decade countdown.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                I'll never not love that you love "Caution". "Good as Hell" is a bop, though a not-as-stellar "Juice" for me.

"So Am I" is Ava's best for me...though I do feel like "Salt" is intent on changing my mind. I like "Don't Blink".

"Nice to Meet Ya" is okay. "Tell Your Girlfriend" is decent.

"Rainbow" is beautiful. "Bad Guy" is perfect mainstream weirdness. "Truth Hurts" made a few good points. "Lover" is yet another great love song in Taylor's repertoire.
                                Caution would have ranked at #13 or #14 had I included it's weeks form 2018, which is how it wound up in the decade countdown. Probably my favorite thing she's released in years.

I suppose I should give Salt another chance. I know I joke a lot about So Am I being Psycho II, but I do actually prefer it. I don't know why it clicked me so much better. I feel like you and I are the only ones that feel this way.

So, I kind of wish I had just let Taylor be #1. She tied with Haunted Heart in its first week at the top, but I gave it to Christina because she had bigger momentum than Taylor.

Originally posted by UKMusicLova View Post
                                Motivation - Normani
                                Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya
                                Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
                                Truth Hurts - Lizzo
                                Ride - Lolo Zouai

Love these songs. 'Motivation' is one of my bops of 2019, you can tell that Ariana had a hand in writing it and Normani just sold that song. Great to see Lolo Zouai, she's so underrated. Her album has been one of my favourites from 2019 and 'Ride' is one of her best songs!
                                So glad to see someone who really likes Motivation! I think it's a huge grower. I entered Ride in FSC htis year and it got destroyed! So it's nice to see someone else who really appreciates her. I'm charting another song by her now on my regular chart called Chain.

Anyhow, time to reveal the top five of 2019!

Comment

5 Candlelight - Jack Savoretti

#1 (4 weeks) - February

14-8-2-1-1-1-1-2-4-8-14-18
                                  4 Old Town Road - Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus

#2 - May

10-8-7-6-5-2-2-8-8-5-5-8-12-17-18-20-19
                                  3 Coming Home - Shingai

#1 (4 weeks) - March

4-3-3-1-1-1-1-3-7-12-14-14-12-12-16
                                  2 On My Way - Alan Walker ft. Sabrina Carpenter and Farruko

#3 (7 weeks) - June

20-17-16-15-13-5-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-7-8-10-17-20
                                  1 Higher Love - Whitney Houston x Kygo

#1 (3 weeks) - August

18-10-2-2-1-1-1-2-2-3-5-7-11-12-19-20

Comment

Higher Love made such an impact everywhere, wish Whitney could’ve seen.
                                    THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

20. So Am I - Ava Max
                                      16. Grimes - We Appreciate Power
                                      15. Motivation - Normani
                                      14. Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya
                                      13. Youth and Love - Jack Savoretti ft Mika

10. Rainbow - Kacey Musgraves
                                      9. Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
                                      8. Truth Hurts - Lizzo
                                      7. Lover - Taylor Swift
                                      4. Old Town Road - Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus
                                      2. On My Way - Alan Walker ft. Sabrina Carpenter and Farruko
                                      1. Higher Love - Whitney Houston x Kygo

Great Top20, so many great songs there. Very happy to see Grimes' "We Appreciate Power" in your Top20, I still really love this song. Surprised to see "Old Town Road" at #4, but that's well deserved. The only big worldwide hit in 2019 that I actually liked.

Comment

Rainbow - Kacey Musgraves

#1 (1 week) - March

7-2-2-2-2-1-2-5-8-12-15
                                        Bad Guy - Billie Eilish

#1 (3 weeks) - May

17-9-8-4-3-1-1-1-6-7-12-15-18
                                        Truth Hurts - Lizzo

#1 (3 weeks) - July

16-11-5-1-1-1-3-2-5-7-10-18
                                        Lover - Taylor Swift

#2 - October

19-16-12-9-4-2-3-4-4-8-5-6-8-14-16-19
                                        I like all of these! So nice to see Rainbow in a countdown finally, such a beautiful song.

Sadly not a fan of anything from the top 5 never was into the Kygo/Whitney song even though everyone seems to love it. It's sweet in a way I guess, but nah
                                        last.fm

Comment

Higher Love did really well on quite a few charts, quite hard to dislike tbh, Normani is my favourite here, glad to see her in another top 15 and always good to see Niall
                                          Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                            Wow, I didn't think of this bit of trivia. It's rare enough that I'll say it hasn't really happened before. However, there are two instances where the longest #1 wasn't in the top ten. Both are from the early days of the chart. In the first year of my chart, the top ten consisted of songs that hadn't charted at all because I didn't start my chart until November of that year (1997 - ugh). 1999 had two songs spend 9 weeks at #1 - Down by Stone Temple Pilots didn't hit #1 until November, so it's full run for 1999 was cut short. It's run was also inter-rupted by a Christmas song, so most of its #1 weeks were actually in 2000 (where it also did not make the top ten for the year.)
                                            Why does 1997 get an "ugh"? Many thanks for the thorough response to my chart inquiry! I touched on this a bit more over in your weekly thread too.

I love that capitulate line. I was watching this Disney + documentary a couple nights ago called Year One Million , basically looking far into the future (more like a millenia or so). They were taking about the potential for AI to take over, and I thought that they really should have used this song for the soundtrack.
                                            Ha, sounds like a PERFECT match! It could've been a "win-win" scenario too: gives Disney a little indie cred, and Grimes some extra promo.

It sure was underrated - why does the GP suck so much? My only successful FSC entry this past year
                                            I definitely miss the days when Hot 100 battles featured multiple songs I actually genuinely enjoyed. Chart following is still fun and fascinating, but it was even better when I felt some attachment to the hits involved.

Katy's cancelling has been one of the most perplexing things I've seen. I still think it's the hair. I'm not kidding. My office husband thought she was the hottest person on earth, and then she did that with her hair and he was just done. Of course, the landscape also shifted in the nearly four years it took for her to release another album - also an error on her part. My own history with Katy is similar - I loved her from the get-go, but around TGIF, I decid-ed I was just absolutely sick to death of her. Like, give us a chance to miss you, Katy! But then the break she took was too long. I wonder if Katy will ever have a top ten again, Never Really Over came so close, but it could end up being an ironic title for her sadly.
                                            I used to be really dismissive of the hair theory, but people (even fans) can be mighty fickle, and such a drastic image change probably did worsen things for Katy (combined with the shifting pop music scene, like you mentioned). Even though her music didn't get that much more political, she went from looking like a pin-up model to resembling one of those "radical feminists" many Americans were aggressively turning against in 2016-2017. **sigh**

• "Rainbow" makes for a beautiful opener to your top tier!
                                            • SO pleased to see "Lover" inside your Top 10 Neither of us sent it all the way to No. 1 on our weekly charts, but it had impressive staying power/a low burn rate. It's such a soothing country/pop offering that harkens back to Tay's earlier material (without sounding like a retread of any specific older hit).
                                            • I'm partial to the bottom half of your Top 10 but "Old Town Road" was undoubtedly a memorable (and unpredictable) experience for chart watchers in 2019. It managed to offer something pretty unique, while still possessing mass appeal, and Lil Nas skillfully utilized the many promotional tools the modern social media scene has to offer to keep the hype going strong for a record-setting stretch.
                                            • I didn't get as swept up in "Higher Love" as a lot of UKMIXers, but it was definitely sweet watching it bring Whitney fans together and further cement her legacy.
                                            last.fm

Comment

I definitely miss the days when Hot 100 battles featured multiple songs I actually genuinely enjoyed. Chart following is still fun and fascinating, but it was even better when I felt some attachment to the hits involved.
                                              It's like a football game. You have to pick a side or it just loses something when you watch it! I miss pop being more dominant, but I do think rap got screwed over by singles sales as the dawn of the 2010s. I suspect people were always listening to it, but not necessarily buying it.

I used to be really dismissive of the hair theory, but people (even fans) can be mighty fickle, and such a drastic image change probably did worsen things for Katy (combined with the shifting pop music scene, like you mentioned). Even though her music didn't get that much more political, she went from looking like a pin-up model to resembling one of those "radical feminists" many Americans were aggressively turning against in 2016-2017. **sigh**
                                              I think it was Felicity where the lead character cut her hair and ratings dropped Sometimes maintaining success is all about knowing your brand. I think you're probably right about her look, and these days people are quick to find something to get outraged about - the worst aspect of social media is how outrage is attracted to it like moths to a flame.

• "Rainbow" makes for a beautiful opener to your top tier!
                                              • SO pleased to see "Lover" inside your Top 10 Neither of us sent it all the way to No. 1 on our weekly charts, but it had impressive staying power/a low burn rate. It's such a soothing country/pop offering that harkens back to Tay's earlier material (without sounding like a retread of any specific older hit).
                                              • I'm partial to the bottom half of your Top 10 but "Old Town Road" was undoubtedly a memorable (and unpredictable) experience for chart watchers in 2019. It managed to offer something pretty unique, while still possessing mass appeal, and Lil Nas skillfully utilized the many promotional tools the modern social media scene has to offer to keep the hype going strong for a record-setting stretch.
                                              • I didn't get as swept up in "Higher Love" as a lot of UKMIXers, but it was definitely sweet watching it bring Whitney fans together and further cement her legacy.
                                              In my 2010s countdown, Rainbow placed 4th out of the 2019 songs, so I have a lot more affection for it than its placement shows here. It would have been a worthy #1 for the year. As would have Lover, a song that kept chugging away into the holiday season (though it does mention Christmas in the opening line!) I think had Lover timed itself just a hair earlier or later, it might have been her first solo #1.

Pretty sure most people will prefer that bottom half - it has some pretty heavy hitters for 2019, and I really am surprised all of them ended up in the bottom half. In my 2010 countdown, Old Town Road was placed further down than most of them. That said, I think it deserves it's placement - it was my most played song on Spotify this year (It was #1 AND #3! On My Way was #2 and Higher Love was #4, so Spotify clearly factors heavily on my chart), and it made some serious social impact. I remember my first day in London last year, there were some street performers doing a routine to it - it had just hit #1 in the States and was surprised that it had already made impact abroad.

Anyhow, thanks again for following. Do you know how to give rep points in this upgraded system?

Comment

Outside of "Coming Home" (which I haven't heard yet), your top 5 is amazing!
                                                Great #1 as well, a fantastic tribute to Whitney.
                                                Sergej's Personal Chart

Comment

Bad Guy is a bop!

Lover is lovely <3

Good #1!
                                                  2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

"Old Town Road" isn't technically a brilliant song, but it does a lot for me, and I'm happy it was such a massive success. "Higher Love" is wonderful and a welcome tribute to the greatest singer who ever lived.

Good countdown!
                                                    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X